PDA

View Full Version : Have you taken down the 6 film Saga Marathon yet ?

2-1B
11-13-2005, 04:06 PM
I did it yesterday with a group of friends while enjoying a friend's makeshift home theater and we took down all 6 SW flicks back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back. :)

We did it in just over 13 hours and I THOROUGHLY enjoyed it. It was really fun to take them all down in that fashion for the first time. Not something I'd do very often but I could see particpating maybe once per year. :)

There is only one scene in the whole saga that I absolutely hate, no surprise to some of you when I say C-3P0's stupidity in the droid factory (it doesn't help that I hate that ****er Threepio in the first place lol ) and I'll give honorable mention to the too-long-in-the-tooth part of the Gungan land battle with Jar Jar being overdone with the blue balls thing. Other than that I love Jar Jar.

So yeah, anybody else do the 6 movie marathon now that they're all on DVD ?

(yes Chux, I know you are holding out until CW v 2 but I'm not too interested in that so for me a marthon is movies only. :crazed: )

Overall this is my favorite movie series but not the best movie series out there.

3 and 5 are my favorites, 2 and 6 are excellent, and 4 and 1 are very good.

:)

bobafrett
11-13-2005, 04:45 PM
I just don't have the time, and I am usually wiped out after a 75 hour work week. I hate it, but that's life, at least mine. Maybe when I get some vacation time in March, I will just take a day off and watch the films like you did, minus the friends.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-13-2005, 04:59 PM
I just don't have the time, and I am usually wiped out after a 75 hour work week. I hate it, but that's life, at least mine. Maybe when I get some vacation time in March, I will just take a day off and watch the films like you did, minus the friends.

I was going to respond the same way. To find 13 hours, any day, that I could spend watching movies means that I have to sacrifice so much else that the thought of doing that makes me feel guilty inside. I was able to sneak a viewing of ESB yesterday, but I took care of some school work during it, and felt that I really took in only half the movie.

DarthQuack
11-13-2005, 05:45 PM
I could try to do it tomorrow on my day off. We'll see how things go...

scruffziller
11-13-2005, 06:04 PM
I am waiting for my brothers theatre room to be finished. He just needs to put in the carpet and the acoustics will be slamming!!!! 101" HD SW experience here I come!!!!

Rocketboy
11-13-2005, 07:30 PM
I would love to attempt this, but I'm afraid I wouldn't have the stamina.
I've barely done the OT marathon with out getting bored (for lack of a better word).
I think I'd have to do it in 2 seperate trilogy marathons, maybe on back to back days.

The only way I think I could do it is with help from a couple of other geeks *coughCaptainSolo1138andSlickercough*.

LTBasker
11-13-2005, 08:28 PM
If my sister and her boyfriend ever visit from Ohio again, we're definitely doing a 6-movie marathon. Especially since her boyfriend hasn't seen the trilogy, only eps 1 and 2. Must. Assimilate. Further.

Since the second DVD of CW will probably have been out for awhile by then, I'm sure those will be included in the marathon. Should only take what, 18 hours? Maybe allow a bathroom break or two...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-13-2005, 08:29 PM
My family (most of them, anyway) are planning on doing it over Christmas break. It's going to be fun!

Caesar, did you have breaks in-between? And what did you do for meals?

El Chuxter
11-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Well, since you answered for me, Caesar, I probably shouldn't. :p

Yes, I'm waiting until December, both for CW2 and for my new surround sound system to be finished. (I'm hoping for good Black Friday deals on the receiver and speakers.) So there are two reasons I've not done so yet.

I'm having family over and making food from the Wookiee Cookies book and drinking out of my Clonetrooper cups and it'll be wizard!! :)

2-1B
11-13-2005, 09:28 PM
I've barely done the OT marathon with out getting bored (for lack of a better word).

Of course you need a live commentary track going on, 2 of our more recent "discoveries" were the Tackleberry lookalike in ANH and the Rick James lookalike in ROTJ. lol
Lots of other interactive rifraff going on but the focus was very much on the Saga. :)

Caesar, did you have breaks in-between?

Technically, yes, but only long enough to change over the DVD to the next one and queue up the first chapter. ;)
For me it was long enough to run to the bathroom and grab another 2 cans of soda from the fridge. lol

Meals - my friend had the grill going for lunch so he was checking on that periodically but I just had Subway handy for my own consumption . . . and pizza was ordered for dinner.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-13-2005, 09:35 PM
I'm doing a "marathon" just not as quickly as some folks. I nkocked down ep I, II and both volumes of CW. Hopefully, later this week once i get done with some grad school headaches, i can toss in ROTS and then kick into the Holy Trilogy over turkey day relaxation. :crazed:

2-1B
11-13-2005, 09:48 PM
To find 13 hours, any day, that I could spend watching movies means that I have to sacrifice so much else that the thought of doing that makes me feel guilty inside.

That's why you need to plan ahead for it, like we did, and then you can do it guilt free. ;)

Jeez, nobody has their priorities straight anymore ! lol lol lol

James Boba Fettfield
11-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Should have done it today, Caesar. Then you wouldn't have to be witness to the great Browns beating.

JetsAndHeels
11-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Should have done it today, Caesar. Then you wouldn't have to be witness to the great Browns beating.

Then today would have been perfect for me.
Jets 3, Panthers 30 OUCH!!

But I couldn't anyway, had to work and had one heck of a busy day.
Perhaps in the next 2 or 3 days. Have some time off so that just might be the perfect time to do some marathon SW watching.

2-1B
11-13-2005, 10:08 PM

Meh ! Then I would have missed all the other great football today, too. I only got 2 games wrong so far this weekend, and nobody else in my pool got either of those games right so I'm actually having a great Sunday. :grin: I was surprised the Browns were in the game as long as they were. It's getting ugly now, though. :D

JimJamBonds
11-13-2005, 10:26 PM
I was one of the people that was with Caesar to help take down the entire saga. Although Caesar probably won't count me as a full participant since I had a chat with the hostess that resulted in my missing about 45ish min. of AOTC. :razz: It was a fun time although although I don't think I could do that very often, maybe like Caesar said once a year. There was plenty of chatting between everybody yet nobody once asked another to 'keep it down.'

In all honesty it went "fairly" quickly, but I think it was due to a number of people being there, I don't think I could have done that by myself. I say if you can organize a bunch of people together along with a good sized tv go for it its a great time! :pleased:

2-1B
11-13-2005, 11:49 PM
This is true, JimJam's medal of participation has not yet been awarded, his role in the event is under review and he will most likely be ruled against since he did miss the first 3rd of Clones. lol

I'm actually a pretty seasoned marathon viewer, not with SW but with other stuff like the Sopranos or Deadwood, I've been known to hammer out almost an entire season during a Sunday (during the football offseason, natch).

But yeah, with SW I'd say one marathon on an annual basis, TOPS.

I've done the OT before in one sitting and that's pretty easy, 6 and a half hours isn't really a big deal.

Jargo
11-14-2005, 04:21 AM
I've buckled and decided to have a marathon. Sometime beginning of December when my partner in crime visits for a long weekend. he hates the prequels muchly so it's good that they're first. :yes:

We're probably just gonna lay in a skip load of munchies, curl up on the sofas and giggle at the acting. wow at the spaceships and groan at the mismatched CGI. (they still didn't fix Han stepping over Jabba's tail right). :rolleyes:

One day I'm gonna find someone clever enough to edit the deleted scenes back in to see how much of a difference it makes. that'll probably be the only other time I do a marathon. well maybe when the super duper nifty deluxe extraordinaire set comes out. I just don't have enough interest in it these days to warrant spending that much time on star wars on a regular basis. :cross-eye

CaptainSolo1138
11-14-2005, 07:00 AM
I think I'd have to do it in 2 seperate trilogy marathons, maybe on back to back days.

The only way I think I could do it is with help from a couple of other geeks *coughCaptainSolo1138andSlickercough*.
I have the week after Christmas off and Slicker should be home on leave that week, too. We'll have to work out the nuts and bolts of the deal, but I'm down like a clown.

And while it isn't the biggest or most comfortable place in the world, might I suggest my apartment? No one ever comes to my apartment. Jerks.:p

stillakid
11-14-2005, 07:23 AM
Hmm, it never occurred to me to subject anyone to sit in front of the Prequels like that. The Geneva Convention has something to do with it I think. :whip:

But then I had a flash of MST3K and thought about how much fun it might be to set up a "backrow" camera whilst some friends, I, and a couple of robots give the Prequels all the respect they deserve. If our "video" was good enough, maybe it could play at the next Star Trek convention. :love:

scruffziller
11-14-2005, 08:49 AM
But then I had a flash of MST3K and thought about how much fun it might be to set up a "backrow" camera whilst some friends, I, and a couple of robots give the Prequels all the respect they deserve. If our "video" was good enough, maybe it could play at the next Star Trek convention. :love:

I would definately purchase that!!!!!:D (i'm being serious too) Your witty banther on these forums are a force to be reckoned with, imagine the hilarity of you ripping on the PT live as it is happening. I mean come on, even the best made movies have moments of goofiness to make fun of. As much as someone may love the PT too, they would certainly laugh.

Yes, I'm waiting until December, both for CW2 and for my new surround sound system to be finished. (I'm hoping for good Black Friday deals on the receiver and speakers.) So there are two reasons I've not done so yet.

But you know what guys, the experience will not be complete until we have CW3 to insert there and the SW television show.;)

El Chuxter
11-14-2005, 08:51 AM
But you know what guys, the experience will not be complete until we have CW3 to insert there and the SW television show.;)

Yeah, but that's not supposed to air until 2007 at the earliest. It'll be another year before it's on DVD. That's a long time to wait. I can hold on for a month. :)

darthvyn
11-14-2005, 09:11 AM
i still don't have Ep.3, so I can't do it yet... but I definitely have it on my "to do" shortlist. i've subjected my wife to all 9 seasons of the x-files in the past, over a couple of months, so i think she'll be all up ons.

DarthQuack
11-14-2005, 12:06 PM
I think we should all do it at the same time, on Black Friday :bandit: . We could all start at noon and then come back to the boards around 1am. Synchronized Star Wars!

JetsAndHeels
11-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Black Friday isn't good for me, I have to go to Family Dollar and do all my Christmas shopping!! lol

I think the SW marathon is a great idea. I've done all 4 seasons of my smallville dvd's and 4 of the seinfeld ones, so this wouldn't be too big a deal.

kool-aid killer
11-14-2005, 12:28 PM
Not yet, im waiting for a cold winter day where there is no point in going outside the house to tackle the six films. Right now i have no desire to do it, especially with the weather still being semi decent.

Rocketboy
11-14-2005, 02:15 PM
I have the week after Christmas off and Slicker should be home on leave that week, too. We'll have to work out the nuts and bolts of the deal, but I'm down like a clown. Cool. We should hammer the details out so I can make sure I get my request in at work as soon as possible.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Not yet, im waiting for a cold winter day where there is no point in going outside the house to tackle the six films. Right now i have no desire to do it, especially with the weather still being semi decent.

Well put...I look forward to a rainy, windy day that hopefully I have off of work and can sit down and watch them all. It will be hard for me to get through Ep 1 and 2 but I thoroughly enjoyed ep 3 and of course the OT. :thumbsup:

Rogue II
11-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Hmm, it never occurred to me to subject anyone to sit in front of the Prequels like that. The Geneva Convention has something to do with it I think. :whip:

It isn't specifically mentioned in the Geneva Convention, therefore, the CIA is legally allowed to use the Prequel Trilogy Technique (PTT) to torture terror suspects. Even the most die-hard terrorists can't make it all the way through ROTS.

JimJamBonds
11-15-2005, 12:01 AM
[quote=stillakid]But then I had a flash of MST3K and thought about how much fun it might be to set up a "backrow" camera whilst some friends, I, and a couple of robots give the Prequels all the respect they deserve. /quote]

There was plenty of 'banter' between the group during each of the movies. As Caesar pointed out the most "Raspberry moment" is when Luke yells "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" after finding out Vader is his papa. For all those that complain about Vader's "Noooo" in ROTS ol' Marky's at best just as bad. :yes:

Slicker
11-15-2005, 12:13 AM
Cool. We should hammer the details out so I can make sure I get my request in at work as soon as possible.Just say the word and I'm in.

I myself haven't done it in one sitting but since I just bought Ep. III I have watched all 6 of them in the past 4 days or so. I know it doesn't count but it's something.

And by the looks of, Cae, you're the only "real" fan since you seem to be the only person (JJB2 doesn't count since he's under review) that has done it thus far. Good on ya.:thumbsup:

2-1B
11-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks Slick, next time I'm gonna suggest a big screen Jenna Jameson marathon. :grin:

It was cold and rainy the day we did the marathon, perfect timing, so all of you nice weather folks who are so fortunate as to thumb your nose at this idea since you still have nice weather to deal with . . . well . . . cram it. lol lol lol

This is sure to stir the pot, but after reflecting for several days I have decided that overall, I enjoy the prequel trilogy more than the OT. And I grew up on the OT. Deal with it. :crazed:

Deoxyribonucleic
11-15-2005, 12:32 PM
This is sure to stir the pot, but after reflecting for several days I have decided that overall, I enjoy the prequel trilogy more than the OT. And I grew up on the OT. Deal with it. :crazed:

Caesar...so forceful...mmmmmmmm hehe ;)

2-1B
11-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Caesar...so forceful...mmmmmmmm hehe ;)

You'll find I'm full of surprises. lol

There was plenty of 'banter' between the group during each of the movies. As Caesar pointed out the most "Raspberry moment" is when Luke yells "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" after finding out Vader is his papa. For all those that complain about Vader's "Noooo" in ROTS ol' Marky's at best just as bad.

Oh god. :dead:

Like I've said before, that guy puts the Ham in Hamill. lol

Thankfully he does his best work in ROTJ to ease out of ANH and ESB. :)

JimJamBonds
11-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks Slick, next time I'm gonna suggest a big screen Jenna Jameson marathon. :grin:

So the Police Academy marathon you were talking about on Saturday will have to wait then? :D

bobafrett
11-15-2005, 07:58 PM
You'll find I'm full of surprises. lol

Oh god. :dead:

Like I've said before, that guy puts the Ham in Hamill. lol

Thankfully he does his best work in ROTJ to ease out of ANH and ESB. :)

I disagree, I think Mark did his best work in ANH. He was a young kid who needed direction, and played the part well. In ROTJ he was to stiff, like the Jedi academy made him into a bland desplined soldier. I hated his acting in that movie, and the little conversation with Leia before he goes off to face Vader, "Yes it's you Leia". How drab reminiscent of the Anakin/Padme love scene in EPII.

I love the Mark H./Lukes "Nooooooooo". I felt it was delivered very convincingly and with emotion. Imagine you find out that your father was the leader of something you were fighting against, how would you feel? How would you react? I think it was very well done, but that is my opinion. :love:

When I watch it, I will nap through Episodes I & II and then watch the other 4 films.

2-1B
11-16-2005, 12:30 AM
I love the Mark H./Lukes "Nooooooooo". I felt it was delivered very convincingly and with emotion. Imagine you find out that your father was the leader of something you were fighting against, how would you feel? How would you react?

I would feel the same...but if my face ever configured in that hideous way, I'd have to shoot myself. :grin:

So the Police Academy marathon you were talking about on Saturday will have to wait then? :D

I'd say it's a dead heat. I could go either way.

Jargo
11-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Just found this site. watching all six films simultaneously. Crazy dude.

http://www.weirdhat.com/swsimultaneously/

Deoxyribonucleic
11-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks for that Jargo, that was really cool to watch and read! You know SOMEONE had to do this :thumbsup:

2-1B
11-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Thanks Jargo, very interesting...all I can say to that is FishCakeLumpyButtocks.

I like the part about the Wookiee hugs the best. :grin:

Jargo
11-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Now want me a copy of that file with all six movies playing at once. a sound cocophony and a visual mind bender. but hell it would save a lot of time. I wonder if Lucas actually realises that all those little things match up or did he deliberately put in certain motifs at certain points following some pattern in his head. I wonder if any of the musical cues match up beside the credits and opening. I still wonder why there are so many bipedal aliens wandering around in the PT when he clearly had a chance to do something far more exciting with his marvellous box of CGI tricks. And i still want to see that mystery of the Lars homestead skyhopper in the garage sorted out. I think Hans Jensen or the other guy wimped out with that illustration they did recently.

stillakid
11-16-2005, 11:51 PM
Now want me a copy of that file with all six movies playing at once. a sound cocophony and a visual mind bender. but hell it would save a lot of time. I wonder if Lucas actually realises that all those little things match up or did he deliberately put in certain motifs at certain points following some pattern in his head. I wonder if any of the musical cues match up beside the credits and opening. I still wonder why there are so many bipedal aliens wandering around in the PT when he clearly had a chance to do something far more exciting with his marvellous box of CGI tricks. And i still want to see that mystery of the Lars homestead skyhopper in the garage sorted out. I think Hans Jensen or the other guy wimped out with that illustration they did recently.

If nothing else, if when you get bored with something in one movie the Prequels, there is probably something better going on in Bobby Brady's box. :yes:

CaptainSolo1138
11-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Slicker, Rocketboy, and I are gonna make our "tour of duty" December 23rd. Should be a good time (once TPM is out of the way :p ).

Slicker
11-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Should be a good time (once TPM is out of the way :p ).I was thinking the same thing but with AOTC in place of TPM.:D

Bel-Cam Jos
11-18-2005, 07:16 PM
I already did this (sort of) in June or July... in three separate venues! First: about 8am, begin E1 and E2 on DVD at friend's house. Next: take in E3 in theater about 2pm or so (after brief food break). Last: to my house, for E4-E6 DVDs, complete with pizza dinner. Done about midnight. We were so tired, we spent the last two films mocking the characters and their dialogue. :crazed: But worth it!

Rocketboy
11-18-2005, 07:29 PM
I was thinking the same thing but with AOTC in place of TPM.:DI was thinking the same thing also but without the two of you.

:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-03-2006, 12:01 PM
I did it yesterday. It was fun! It took much longer than I'd hoped - from 9:30 in the morning to 12 at night. But watching them all in order really helped to flesh it all out. I seriously nearly cried at the end of ROTJ, since everything had been set right and the Force had indeed been brought back into balance. It was just really overpowering. I've always approved of having Hayden as Anakin in ROTJ, and now I'm even more glad that they did it this way.

I also realized that, in comparison to all the other five (even ANH and ESB), the first hour or so of TPM is slooooooooooooow. :D

stillakid
01-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Hmm.

After watching ROTS again, I cried for an entirely different reason. :cry:

General_Grievous
01-07-2006, 05:17 PM
I did it last Sunday. A New Years Day marathon of Eps. I-VI plus Clone Wars I and II. I started at 10:00 a.m and finished at about 12:30 a.m the next day. Man, was it fun. JJL, you're right. TPM does start out slow. For me it doesn't start to pick up until the Maul-Kenobi-Qui-Gon fight.

Slicker
01-07-2006, 05:20 PM
I guess I should chime in and say that Rocketboy, CaptainSolo, and myself did this marathon on December 23...almost. We watched the first 5 then when it came time to watch ROTJ we had had enough. We started to BS and never put it in. Do we still get membership in the club for the effort?

JimJamBonds
01-08-2006, 08:53 AM
I'd say no. :grin: Although my experience was similar there was a ton of talking by the time we got to the last couple of films. We were all fairly quite at the start of the marathon but as it wore on the idle chatter picked up. :yes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Man, that sucks - watching 1 through 5 and not 6? We contemplated stopping (for about a second) but then we knew we had to go in for the full six.

Yeah, I thought that the OT would be kind of boring compared to the PT, but I think watching them in order actually enhanced the OT. I did realize that the Battle of Carkoon and Ground Battle of Endor need some serious enhancements for the next DVD. :D Especially when the skiff guard swipes the staff at Luke's feet, when Luke's hand just so happens to be sticking out in the air when it's shot, when the speeder bike Chewie shoots was going 10 miles an hour and into a freakin' tree in the first place, and when the stormtroopers lose it when a rock hits them. :rolleyes:

Slicker
01-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Man, that sucks - watching 1 through 5 and not 6? We contemplated stopping (for about a second) but then we knew we had to go in for the full six.Well, when you haven't seen the 2 people that you're watching it with in months, you start BSing and then talkin' about olden times way back when.

bobafrett
01-08-2006, 08:47 PM
I still haven't been able to find enough time to sit and partake of a six movie marathon. I will have to wait until I get my two weeks vacation to even begin to entertain the thought of doing so.

DarthQuack
01-18-2006, 07:25 PM
I think on my next day off I'm gonna try to do a 2 part session for each trilogy. Maybe start around 10am and then at 8ish.