PDA

View Full Version : The Official C-3PO Appreciation Thread!!!

El Chuxter
11-17-2005, 10:46 AM
There are only two characters (three if you count Obi-Wan's ghost) who appear in every film of the Saga. But one of these doesn't get enough credit. That's why I'm starting this thread to recognize the heroism and greatness of the true hero of the Saga: C-3PO!

If not for Threepio, the heroes of the Rebellion would have been crushed by the trash compactor. Echo Base would have been overrun by Snowtroopers. Anakin and Padme would not have had a legal witness to sign their marriage certificate. The Ewoks wouldn't have been able to spring their ambush, since the Imperials wouldn't run into the forest to chase teddy bears.

No one would know what R2-D2 was saying. An entire clan of Jawas would not have had decent last rites. Owen Lars would never have purchased R2-D2, and Tank or Fixer would have ended up with the holo from Leia.

Jabba the Hutt wouldn't have been able to make himself understood. Kit Fisto would have no reason to smile. CG would not have been explored to its fullest extent in the droid factory. There would have been no circuits or gears to donate to R2-D2 after the Battle of Yavin.

The Princess would have developed an ulcer worrying about Han and Luke on Hoth. And she would have lost her virtue aboard the Falcon during the escape in the asteroid field, possibly taking up more time than was necessary and resulting in TIEs locating the Rebels.

The Lars family homestead would have fallen into disrepair following Shmi's abduction, because it's obvious Owen won't do any work. R2-D2 would not have been able to lock the door in Mos Eisley and would have been found by Stormtroopers.

And, most importantly, Padme's hord'ouvres would have been cold!!

Sing the praises of anyone you want. Me, I choose to recognize the true hero of the galaxy, and the greatest character in the Star Wars series. (Well, after Teek.)

Rogue II
11-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Don't forget that he also inspired the Joan Rivers character in Spaceballs.

CaptainSolo1138
11-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Who woulda held Little Orphan Ani's flag at the Boonta Eve race had 3PO not been there?

Rogue II
11-17-2005, 12:02 PM
If it wasn't for C-3PO, the Shield Generator would have never been taken down, and Vader would still be evil because the Ewoks would have had feasted on a Han Sandwichs, Chewy ka-bobs, and Flame broiled Luke.

With Han and Chewbaca gone, Lando would have probably been allowed to keep the Falcon. So, I guess he got screwed over.

JEDIpartner
11-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Don't we have something better to do than outing robots? ;)

plasticfetish
11-17-2005, 07:15 PM
When did that finally happen? :cheeky:

JediTricks
11-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Threepio rocks! I love C-3PO, he's always been one of my favorites. I love how he always feels helpless and doomed, yet he's a natural quick-thinker when the chips are down, he lies with ease to anybody's face. Plus, he doesn't take guff from R2 or Han, he speaks his mind when someone kicks sand in his face - sure, he's a bit whiny, but consider that he's basically a diplomacy droid so he's well outside of his element. Also, 3PO puts voice to the racism that is part of the "normal way of life" in the Star Wars universe, Lucas put that in there for a reason, and 3PO fleshes it out (so to speak).

Finally, only C-3PO can actually tell the story of Star Wars complete with actual sound effects even when he wasn't there to witness the event! :D

Rocketboy
11-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Threepio and Artoo are awesome.
As a kid, they were my absolute favorites. My mom must have bought at least 5 or 6 of each Artoo and Threepio. I'd just wear the darn toys out.

That's another beef I have with much of the EU - the lack of the droids.

darthvyn
11-17-2005, 10:53 PM
oh, man... "little orphan ani" and "han sandwiches" - i'm dyin' here!!!!

2-1B
11-18-2005, 12:51 AM
I love Artoo but I hate that POS Threepio. I find him incredibly annoying and very feminine. :)

You'll hear no appreciation from me. lol

(I wasn't going to delve into the gay thing as hinted by JP because I'm uneasy about the stereotyping involved...but over the years I have heard that opinion from several different people and of course he's a robot so it's not an issue but it did lead me to wonder, is Anthony Daniels gay?)

plasticfetish
11-18-2005, 01:07 AM
OK. Let me get this straight (no pun intended.) You hate Chewbacca. You hate C-3PO. Who else from the short list of OT core characters do you hate? I'm trying to figure out what we're goint to be left with. Mynocks... you really like mynocks, and that's why you dig Star Wars. :confused:

:)

2-1B
11-18-2005, 01:14 AM
When did I ever say I hate Chewbacca? :confused: I said I hate Peter Mayhew, the guy who plays him. Biiiiiiiig difference.

Not sure where you're going with this, PF, but I don't like it. There's only 1 character in the Saga that I really hate and that's Threepio.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-18-2005, 02:03 AM
but it did lead me to wonder, is Anthony Daniels gay?)

oh man, I've always wondered that myself.

I love threepio too! I remember going to K-mart when the figures first came out and my mom said I could get two for now and I picked threepio and a stormtrooper. I still have them today! I love his quirks and motherly personality and I just love the way he looks.

:thumbsup:

plasticfetish
11-18-2005, 03:08 AM
When did I ever say I hate Chewbacca? :confused: I said I hate Peter Mayhew, the guy who plays him. Biiiiiiiig difference.That's very interesting. I'd thought that your "May-hate" would effect you opinion of the character.

Not sure where you're going with this, PF, but I don't like it. There's only 1 character in the Saga that I really hate and that's Threepio.OK. I'll back off.

:D

See, I'm torn over the C-3PO thing. I was always very fond of C-3PO as a kid, and still consider him to be a favorite character from the OT, (maybe my most favorite.) On the other hand, the PT C-3PO kind of bugs me. I can't think of one thing about his character in those movies that I like, and yet I have no problem thinking of things that I don't like. Maybe it's a chemistry thing. There never seems to be any real "classic" interaction between him and R2 in the prequels... or with anyone for that matter.

He's pi**y but charming in the OT, but in the PT he's just... kind of stupid.

:confused:

I suppose the memory wipe was a good idea after all.

Rocketboy
11-18-2005, 11:41 AM
(I wasn't going to delve into the gay thing as hinted by JP because I'm uneasy about the stereotyping involved...but over the years I have heard that opinion from several different people and of course he's a robot so it's not an issue but it did lead me to wonder, is Anthony Daniels gay?)Whoa whoa whoa...are you saying Anthony Daniels is a robot?

JediTricks
11-18-2005, 08:18 PM
PF, the prequels don't actually exist, they were a hoax meant to explain the 2-hour gaps in our minds that happened once every 3 years for the past 6 years. Anakin never built C-3PO, Threepio never got his head knocked off and replaced by a Battle Droid, and Threepio never did nothing in Episode III. :D

Rogue II
11-18-2005, 11:45 PM
PF, the prequels don't actually exist, they were a hoax meant to explain the 2-hour gaps in our minds that happened once every 3 years for the past 6 years. Anakin never built C-3PO, Threepio never got his head knocked off and replaced by a Battle Droid, and Threepio never did nothing in Episode III. :D

Thanks for clarifying that. I knew those 2 hour gaps were caused by alien abductions. How else could there be so many different opinions on the same films?:yes:

2-1B
11-19-2005, 02:00 AM
Then you guys sure have wasted 6 years of your lives complaining about movies that never even happened. ;)

El Chuxter
11-19-2005, 09:52 AM
C'mon, only Jurassic Park III is bad enough to claim it never happened. Of course, I don't know why I'm bringing that up since the film obviously never was made. lol

Rocketboy
11-19-2005, 04:29 PM
C'mon, only Jurassic Park III is bad enough to claim it never happened. Of course, I don't know why I'm bringing that up since the film obviously never was made. lolKind of like The Matrix sequels?

CaptainSolo1138
11-19-2005, 08:29 PM
And The Godfather III?

plasticfetish
11-19-2005, 09:56 PM
PF, the prequels don't actually exist...Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a prequel hater, it's just that I feel a bit jipped when it comes to C-3PO. Especially for episode III... which I think had some great R2 scenes, but not much C-3PO.

I do wish some of those Episode II scenes with 3PO didn't exist. :ermm:

Deoxyribonucleic
11-20-2005, 06:10 AM
I do wish some of those Episode II scenes with 3PO didn't exist. :ermm:

I don't know what you're talking about :p

2-1B
11-20-2005, 11:21 AM
And The Godfather III?

GF3 is 100 times cooler than C-3PO

Especially for episode III... which I think had some great R2 scenes, but not much C-3PO.

That's why ROTS is my favorite C-3PO vehicle! :yes:

I do wish some of those Episode II scenes with 3PO didn't exist.

Me too. :(

JEDIpartner
11-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Threepio and Artoo were my favourite characters as a child. So... no problems with Threepio here!

Rocketboy
11-20-2005, 11:33 AM
GF3 is 100 times cooler than C-3POMaybe in bIZZARO wORLD.

El Chuxter
11-20-2005, 11:40 AM
bIZARRO c-3po would kick your butt while making inarticulate grunts, Caesar. He's prone to violent behavior and loves drinking Old Milwaukee while watching Nascar races. You should watch yourself. He's a wanted droid.

plasticfetish
11-20-2005, 02:44 PM
bIZARRO c-3po would kick your butt while making inarticulate grunts...I really HOPE he turns up in the new CG cartoon!!! ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-24-2005, 09:49 PM
bIZARRO c-3po would kick your butt while making inarticulate grunts, Caesar. He's prone to violent behavior and loves drinking Old Milwaukee while watching Nascar races. You should watch yourself. He's a wanted droid.
Kind of like that extremely idiotic C-3PX from EU. Gee what a fantastic idea that was. :rolleyes:

I kind of like C-3PO; he's not my favorite character or anything but I don't hate him either.

I think Anthony Daniels is gay. On the VH1 When SW Ruled The World special, he was talking about standing behind Carrie during the Jabba scenes and saying it didn't do much for 3PO because "he isn't into that sort of thing."

Plus, he wears that gold jacket at conventions. :p

CaptainSolo1138
11-24-2005, 09:58 PM
I think Anthony Daniels is gay.And I think you're right! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famous_gay,_lesbian_or_bisexual_people

I had no idea, really. Call me naive, but he always just came off as "British" to me.:ermm:

Slicker
11-25-2005, 08:59 AM
I had no idea, really. Call me naive, but he always just came off as "British" to me.:ermm:Same here. Not that it matters any but I too just figured he was British (no offense to the British members on the boards)