PDA

View Full Version : Evolutions ROTS Gray Clone Commander figure is my new favorite Clone Trooper

Warstar
11-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Anyone else get the variant Evolutions pack and open it yet? The ROTS Clone Commander ROCKS!

I rarely post in this section of the forum but I gotta' rant in a good way :)

The ROTS Clone Trooper with Gray parts in the new Evolutions 3-pack just kicks butt. You can remove his command skirt (it has a nice silver accented paint job on the back of it), pop the Temura head off and remove the gray pauldron, put the included standard Clone Trooper gray belt around his waist, put his head and helmet back on and voila! You have a standard Clone Trooper with some nice detailing!

The Gray Evolutions Clone Trooper variant pack far surpasses the Yellow one- I recommend it.

The ONLY gripe I have about the figure is that it has no waist/torso articulation (can't swivel the torso). Oh well- can't have everything I guess :p

What are some of your favorite Clone Trooper figures and why? (Aside from #41 and all of the #41 variations- it's obvious as to why those rock ;))

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Plus, there's that nasty little downside of him not being in the film at all. :rolleyes:

Is the skirt the same one from the yellow Evolutions set, or is it more like the Clone Commander/Commander Bly one?

Warstar
11-18-2005, 06:58 PM
It's like neither, actually.

It functions like the Clone Commander (#33) skirt, only it has a slit cut into it on the left side. There's no pegs or any other way to "attach" the skirt belt together. I suppose I don't like that, either, but it's a minor detail- the skirt stays on well.

Sure the guy wasn't in the movie, but he still looks cool up there with the Troopers that were. :thumbsup:

Any word on a Commander Cody figure? Or maybe the Clone Trooper style helmets we see when the Trooper reports to Cody on Utapau when he says "Kenobi must be dead." (or something to that effect)? I dig those style helmets but there are no figures of them :(

Otherwise, I really like the ROTS Clone Troopers- moreso than the Stormtroopers or AOTC style troopers. Not sure why- maybe the AOTC were TOO Boba Fett-like, and the Stormtroopers are just so...plain...the ROTS Trooper rock :)

PS: I'll post pics of the Gray Evolutions Trooper a bit later tonight to go with my rave review :) I'm going to Ebay the AOTC and Stormtroopers I got from the Evolutions sets- don't need 'em, don't want 'em. :p

Kill Solo
11-18-2005, 10:01 PM
The ONLY gripe I have about the figure is that it has no waist/torso articulation (can't swivel the torso). Oh well- can't have everything I guess :p

What are some of your favorite Clone Trooper figures and why? (Aside from #41 and all of the #41 variations- it's obvious as to why those rock ;))

Um, dude, are you saying the ROTS gray trooper has not waist articulation? Because it does. My gray ROTS trooper is definitely (swivel) articulated at the waist. The AOTC clone and Sandtrooper don't have any waist articulation.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/sasee_one/gray12.jpg

This grey set is OK, but I think the way the accessories were handled makes the yellow set superior. I mean I was forced to use some fishing line to tighten up the skirt for the ROTS commander so the huge slit wouldn't be so freaking noticeable. With the fishing line holding the skirt together the gray Commander is pretty cool looking.

Warstar
11-18-2005, 10:52 PM
You're absolutely right- pardon me while I lose some street cred :p

Yep- the gray ROTS Commander does indeed have waist aritculation- I think I was thinking about the AOTC ones.

Anyway, the skirt on mine is good and tight- it's not noticeable at all. I'm not going to remove it very often, as I bet it will loosen over time. They should have used another command skirt for the figure, that's for sure.

In the meantime, here are some pics for everyone. Enjoy!

sith_killer_99
11-18-2005, 11:20 PM
Any word on a Commander Cody figure?

Yes, it is slotted for release in 2006 as part of the new Saga line (Battle of Coruscant collection) . Check out the link:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=30276

Personally I like the new Clone Commander from the Evolutins set. It's the wickedly nasty paint job on the Sandtrooper from that set that I loath!

If I had to pick a "favorite" Clone Trooper right now I would have to vote for the new Target Shadow Trooper. Yes, he is based on the #41 Clone, but it's the paint job that puts him over the top in my book. I am also partial to the 501st Clones from the Jedi Temple Assault battle pack, despite the fact that they used the worst clone figure (IMO) for the base (#6...the bane of my existance).;)

Kill Solo
11-19-2005, 04:32 AM
The Shadow trooper is the same mold as the 1st Target Exclusive clone trooper. (Which are the same mold used for the Clone Wars SA Clone Trooper and EE Exclusive 4-pack Clone troopers.) The only #41 molds are Commander Gree and the SWS.com Exclusive Covert Ops Trooper.

Warstar
11-19-2005, 04:55 AM
YAY on Cody! What about the other helmets?

Interesting info on the different molds though. How many molds are they using for the ROTS Clones?

I don't have a Jet Pack Trooper yet, but is it the same mold as the Attack on Coruscant gray Troopers? the hole in the back would lead me to believe so (gotta' Jet Pack Trooper on the way).

#41 is an amazing sculpt though...

And though I loathe #6's mold as well, the Shock Trooper (Red one) looks pretty good IMHO, too.

I also like the Bacara mold and variants.

Only ROTS Clones I like but don't like are the Clone 3-pack versions, though the Wal-Mart DVD exclusives have decent paint jobs.

On another note- which of the 2 AT-RT Drivers is the rare one? White around the eyes or tan? How hard to find is the rare one? :)

Blue2th
11-19-2005, 10:01 AM
He is also my favorite. He looks better as a Clone Commander for the grey Coruscant clones than the blue Bacara. Though the grey is slightly darker on them. Just opened a Utapau Shadow Trooper. Pretty cool, lots of articulation. I was suprised at how much articulation the Jet Pack Clone has. He really is a nice figure. Definitely recommend picking him up. I need a couple more of those. The other Clone Wars soldier Hasbro should make is the underwater clone from the episode of Kit Fisto on Calamari. There are so many Clones that appear on screen that haven't been made yet. I don't know why they don't get to them first. Hey maybe we will see a red Merry Christmas Clone soon! lol

jedi master sal
11-29-2005, 09:20 AM
Hey maybe we will see a red Merry Christmas Clone soon! lol

You mean like this?
http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/92/87/9f_1.JPG
http://i6.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/92/84/43_1.JPG

For the record, I really like the Grey Commander and he will look great next to my small (20) army of Coruscant clones.
-Sal

Val Da Car
11-29-2005, 11:24 AM
You mean like this?
http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/92/87/9f_1.JPG
http://i6.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/92/84/43_1.JPG

For the record, I really like the Grey Commander and he will look great next to my small (20) army of Coruscant clones.
-Sal

Much better than the SWS Darth Santa figure.