PDA

View Full Version : Loose Collectors: How do you deal with accessories?

Jango Speck
11-20-2005, 04:15 AM
I've recently decided to open a clone army's worth of figs. Question is, there can be a lot of accessories to deal with. Aside from putting them in baggies, I'm looking for specific ways people are using the accessories.

Example: #41 White Clone (Super Articulated)
Every time I pose these, if they fall down, that little antenna falls out. I'm thinking of either not using the antennas, or putting a tiny dab of glue on them so they never fall out.

Anyone else with some ideas like this?

Deoxyribonucleic
11-20-2005, 06:08 AM
I use those boxes full of little trays that you would find out in a garage where people store nails and things (a word for these escapes me at the moment) plus there's some great plastic containers you can get at Michael's that have all sorts of ways to make little compartments for storing just such a thing as star wars accessories. :thumbsup:

Blue2th
11-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Got a lot of loose figures. I try to get stands for the ones that don't stand on their own. Clearstands work well because they have 2 pegs per stand thus work well with flimsy figures. Try keeping the little rubber bands supplied with most figures. They are relatively invisible. You can use them to hold things on the figures.

stillakid
11-20-2005, 10:29 AM
I eat mine. :cross-eye

shammykenobi
11-20-2005, 11:09 AM
I eat mine too!!!! Blue lightsabers tast really good with peanut butter!!!

JEDIpartner
11-20-2005, 11:17 AM
I only use the ones I find necessary. The other ones get baggied by type (trooper accessories, jedi accessories, senator accessories...)

The other ones are just "near" the figure on the shelf. I've never had the antenna fall out of my figure. Am I just lucky? For stuff like that, I've always just used alittle rubber cement anyhow.

Scackmgack
11-20-2005, 03:00 PM
One word: tupperware.

I have one container for POTF2 accessories, another for POTJ, another for Ep I, another for AOTC, another for RotS and OTC, etc.

I also have one for all the translucent "blaster effects" and such.

Never had problems matching up accessories to who they belong to.

ew2seal
11-20-2005, 08:57 PM
I use tackle boxes from the fishing isles. Most of them you can pull slides in and out to fit figures.

CaptainSolo1138
11-20-2005, 09:11 PM
If the extra accessories are cool, I put them behind the figure. Otherwise I just throw them away.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-20-2005, 11:36 PM
I just started doing my figures loose (that didn't come out sounding right) and I throw the extra accessories in a ziploc. The same with figures I don't have on display. Then I put all the ziplocs in a rubbermaid container. The craft store container thing sounds like a good idea, but I'd be paranoid that my kids would get into it and open all the drawers and empty everything out.

Keeping the weapons rubberbanded to their hands is a good idea. I do the same thing. I have a hard time putting them back on the right way if I take them off.

Rocketboy
11-21-2005, 11:07 PM
Most of mine get Ziplocked also if I don't use (or lose) them.
I like it when they put those little rubberband things on the hands, especially when it comes to figures that have a hard time holding the weapons.

stillakid
11-21-2005, 11:11 PM
One word: tupperware.

Well, yeah. If there are any leftovers.:love:

Jayspawn
11-21-2005, 11:39 PM
The best thing ever is a Tupperware container that snaps closed good and tight. Just throw all your Clone Troopers and weapns in there and you're all set.

Ji'dai
11-21-2005, 11:46 PM
I try to keep accessories with the figure. I have 640 loose figures currently on display so if they aren't holding an accessory, it's on the ground near their feet. Non-displayed figures are bagged with their accessories.

I did store all my accessories in a zip-lock bag but it was such a pain in the rear matching them to figures that I'll never do that again.

jedi master sal
11-22-2005, 04:53 PM
I ziplock each fig with their accessories. If the accessory is BIG, then I put it in a small ziploc. Then that along with the figure and any smaller accessories go into a larger ziploc bag.

Now, I say ziploc, but really they are craft store baggies. You can usually find these in packs of 50 or 100 and they range in size. I have some that are 3X4 which are great for astromech droids. Then 4X5 for standard sized figs. For those taller ones like the wookiees, I have 4X6. Then I go up to small sandwich type bags for multipacks and then freezer bags for "like" figures. Example, Say I've got 16 AT-RT drivers. Each one has a BIG gun. That big gun is put into a 3X4 bag which is then put into a 4X5 along with the figure and the other accessories. That bag is then placed into a freezer bag along with 15 others just like it. Then I label the freezer bag with the contents.

This way works very well for me since I'm an army builder.

-Sal

Droid
11-22-2005, 05:08 PM
I always take the little card that is in the bubble with the figure that has the character's name and picture or whatever and put that in the ziploc bag with unused accessories. That way, even if the figure is "out on a mission" in a diorama I know which figure the unused accesssories go to when it is time to rotate the dioramas and put some of the figures back in their Ziploc bags.

otter
11-26-2005, 02:34 AM
Now, I say ziploc, but really they are craft store baggies. You can usually find these in packs of 50 or 100 and they range in size. I have some that are 3X4 which are great for astromech droids. Then 4X5 for standard sized figs. For those taller ones like the wookiees, I have 4X6.
-Sal

Yeah, I always hold on to any mini zip-lock baggies that I randomly come across when I buy electronics. They're pretty useful for holding accessories, particularly really small weapons. The bags are small enough to fit in the tackle box slots with my figures and since they're zipped together I don't have to worry about any loose weapons falling out when I open the lid. Even if you throw all your accessories into tupperware, organzing them into a few smaller bags makes things a lot easier if you ever have to sift through all your weapons and look for a small blaster.

Never knew that craft stores sold the little baggies, though. Thanks for the tip, Sal.

vulcantouch
11-26-2005, 11:56 AM
-i trades away the ones i don't want (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=29708) :D
"come trade wit me, come trade, come trade awaaay"-
vt

jedi master sal
11-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Never knew that craft stores sold the little baggies, though. Thanks for the tip, Sal.

No problem.

Huh, in fact I have to go tonight and get me some baggies. I usually buy about 300 baggies at a time. Saves having to go back to the store every few months.

bobafrett
11-28-2005, 08:44 PM
I have placed the loose accessories near a figure or in a bag, Problem is, I have no clue which gun goes with which character not that it matters, as I never plan on parting with my collection. I did lose the little antenna like piece that came with one of my figures. It may have been commander Gree when I pulled him out of my pockets when at a friends house. Friends should never lets friends take loose figures out of their pockets when visiting outside the collection.

I like the idea of small drawers. I have a set that I keep for my small screws and nails but I still have about half that aren't used. I might put my loose accessories in those instead.

BTW, I think it was the EPII Obi'Wan that came with the smallest accessorie I have seen, a little underwater breather piece, I'm surprised I haven't lost it yet.

Jango Speck
11-29-2005, 01:50 AM
So I went out and picked up a couple packs of little ziploc baggies at a craft store. I love this method! I just write down a little note about what figure it goes with, what figure line, and drop it in the bag. So easy.

Anyone else frustrated as all hell with opening their figures? I hate the way you have to almost bend/break something to pry out the figure from the bubble. I've snapped off limbs, sabers, shoulderpads, heads, you name it. Surely they could've spent a lot less on labor and just tossed these in a smaller blister/bubble.

jedi master sal
11-29-2005, 02:20 AM
So I went out and picked up a couple packs of little ziploc baggies at a craft store. I love this method! I just write down a little note about what figure it goes with, what figure line, and drop it in the bag. So easy.

I've done that. Heh heh, a couple of years ago, one day while cataloging the collection, my fiancee made a game of it and put in some funny notes in some of the baggies for us to have a laugh later on when I finally set these all up. I recall one being somthing one the order of "Help, I can't breath in here" and anothe something like "Whew, did I do that?"

Anyway, if you put several of those single bagged figs into a larger freezer bag, you can then label the bigger bag with a Sharpie. That's what I do when I have "themes." For instance I have freexer bags with nothing but AT-RT drivers in them, or another one that has Bly's and Gree's in it.

Labeling as such makes it immensely easier when you're trying to look for something.

-Sal

Darth Cruel
11-30-2005, 03:15 PM
I did store all my accessories in a zip-lock bag but it was such a pain in the rear matching them to figures that I'll never do that again.

AMEN! Not only is it a pain to sort them out, but they also get ruined. The rifle that came with the Tatooine Luke I bought some time ago came perfectly straight. Now it is a nightmare of twisted plastic that lays at the feet of the Luke figure.

figrin bran
11-30-2005, 05:21 PM
AMEN! Not only is it a pain to sort them out, but they also get ruined. The rifle that came with the Tatooine Luke I bought some time ago came perfectly straight. Now it is a nightmare of twisted plastic that lays at the feet of the Luke figure.

try boiling it in a pot of hot water for about a minute. or if you fear that it will melt, just run it under hot water from the faucet and it should return to its original shape.

getting back on topic, i keep my loose figures that aren't on display in ziplocs along with their accessories and i keep the ziplocs in those plastic sterilite boxes. i never had problems with mixing up accessories until i started making customs! now i have bags with heads and limbs and accessories from different figures.

Devo
11-30-2005, 05:45 PM
My accessories are all in bags, unsorted unlabelled - i no longer keep track of what belongs to who. I do enjoy going through them to find accessories that I never considered using before after getting an idea from looking at how other people use them etc.