PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Y-Wing fighter leaving the Death Star? (merged)

JON9000
10-02-2002, 11:36 PM
I've seen ANH about a zillion times. I've always thought the survivors of the attack over Yavin were limited to Han, Chewie, Luke, and Wedge. But a Y-wing seems to getting away as well after Luke laid the smack down. I am sure one of you knows who was in the Y-wing or whether it was part of the battle- probably been covered in EU or something- any ideas?

mini-rock
10-14-2002, 02:41 AM
I have no idea who that is. I've looked on StarWars.com, and others too. Here's a pic of the scene.

mini-rock
10-14-2002, 02:46 AM
Here's the scene as they approach Yavin.

mini-rock
10-14-2002, 02:49 AM
And another.

Pendo
10-14-2002, 03:58 PM
I read somewhere what his name was, and it has gone totaly out of my head :rolleyes:. It's bugging me now. I will find it out for y'all ASAP!!!

PENDO!

Pendo
10-14-2002, 04:14 PM
I've found the info I read. It is Keyan Farlander :). There is more on it on the Official Site. Click here (http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20010115.html).

PENDO!

mini-rock
10-14-2002, 05:50 PM
You're awesome Pendo. I must have searched for a couple hours, and found nothing. They say it's possibly Keyan Farlander, but that's good enough for me.:)

CanadianPharaoh
11-20-2005, 02:30 PM
In the last shot of the Death Star attack scene in ANH, where the Falcon, Luke and Wedge fly away from the Death Star before it explodes, there's also a Y-Wing fighter escaping with them. Who is that? As far as I recall, all the Y-wings were destroyed, and that's why the X-Wings had to take over the offensive. So who would it be then?

Any thoughts?

DarkArtist
11-20-2005, 02:39 PM
If I'm not mistaken, according to EU sources, the pilot is Kaylan Farlander, who is the rebel pilot people play as in the X-Wing series of computer games.

wedge1968
11-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Yep, Mr. Farlander.

CanadianPharaoh
11-21-2005, 01:05 AM
Okay, but I don't recall seeing four Y-Wings at the beginning of the battle. There's Dutch, Tiree and the other dude (name?). They all bit it, didn't they? Where does this Farlander get off not doing any work at all? What was he just there to "scope out the scene"?

I don't buy it.

Slicker
11-21-2005, 05:47 AM
Okay, but I don't recall seeing four Y-Wings at the beginning of the battle. There's Dutch, Tiree and the other dude (name?). They all bit it, didn't they? Where does this Farlander get off not doing any work at all? What was he just there to "scope out the scene"?

I don't buy it.You've got Dutch, Tiree, Pops, Gold Leader, this Farlander feller and I'm sure more.

Maybe he was observation or something. *shrugs*

CaptainSolo1138
11-21-2005, 07:34 AM
In the Special Special Edition, it will be revealed that it was Aurra Sing piloting it with Mara Jade as her astromech.

wedge1968
11-21-2005, 08:15 AM
There were thirty ships (so says the officer to Vader on the Death Star); I assumed that 15 were X-Wings and 15 were Y-Wings. There are names for most of them, though I don't have that information in front of me. If I think of it tonight, I'll try to post the rosters.

The 'Xir
11-21-2005, 10:51 AM
There were thirty ships (so says the officer to Vader on the Death Star); I assumed that 15 were X-Wings and 15 were Y-Wings.

Yep, 5 squads of three ships for each. One leading the trench attack, with two staying further behind to cover their respective leaders! Lucas has a way of either killing people off-screen or adding people for the simple pupose of putting them there. We are to assume that there were other waves of fighters ready to go if Lukes squadron wasn't successful, although the rebels time was pretty much up if Luke didn't get it done, with the DS about to fire and all. So with that lone extra y-wing with wedge, luke, and the falcon we then have to assume that the rest of his squadron was destoryed in the space battle over the DS. Really I have no clue, never really thought about it much, but that's my impression atleast.

El Chuxter
11-21-2005, 11:04 AM
It is indeed Mr Farlander, and since this was brought up a couple of years ago, I'm a-mergin' the threads. :Pirate:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-21-2005, 02:25 PM
You've got Dutch, Tiree, Pops, Gold Leader, this Farlander feller and I'm sure more.

Maybe he was observation or something. *shrugs*
Jon Vander, aka Dutch, is Gold Leader.

I wonder if any of the off-screen Y-wings had those ridiculous TRU exclusive paintjobs? :p