PDA

View Full Version : 12-inch Schedule

Lord Tenebrous
01-20-2002, 01:26 PM
From http://www.rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=7407 (Rebelscum) :

Hasbro Direct showcased the goods at this year's Dallas Import Toy Show held at the Dallas Market Center in Dallas, Texas this weekend. This show offers Hasbro Direct, the entity who produces the 12" line and retailer exclusives and runs on a different marketing and retailing strategy than Hasbro Boys Division (producers of the 3.75 inch line), a chance to preview their offerings to retailers under the Letter of Credit program. The LC program gives retailers the opportunity to order the toys "directly" abroad using an irrevocable letter of credit. The merchandise is then shipped directly to retailers instead of through Hasbro's domestic distribution channels. Here is a summary of the offerings exhibited at this year's show (Unfortunately, photographs are unavailable at this time).

As Episode II: Attack of the Clones merchandise hits store shelves on April 22nd, fans can expect a new level of quality for the Action Collection 12" line. Released under the new blue Star Wars 2002 logo, the basic assortment will have a fresh new design, including a more stylish package similar to what was seen with the 12" Luke and Yoda. The main draw of the new figures though is the use of Real Scan technology for the head sculpts. Capturing the likeness of the characters with much more vivid detail, the use of Real Scan should be more evident with the 12" line. Here are the first 2 waves to be released based on the new film, as well as a special set featuring everyone's favorite Sith Lord and AOTC's bounty hunting baddie:

Wave 1 (March/April)

Anakin Skywalker

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Clonetrooper

Wave 2 (April/May)

Count Dooku

Zam Wessell

Super Battledroid

12" Ultimate Villain 2 Pack: Darth Vader and Jango Fett (April/May)

From what was revealed, the 12" figures bear a striking resemblance to the actors and should please the collector appeal for authenticity and detail. Following the formula of the popular Power of the Jedi 12" Sith Lords 2 Pack, the new Ultimate Villain set bridges the legacy between the original trilogy and Attack of the Clones. Retailers are already praising the set, which sports brand new sculpts and toolings for both characters.

I think they should have switched Dooku and the Clonetrooper, maybe even Dooku and Jango. I consider Dooku to be more of an "ultimate villain" than Fett.

Hopefully, this means that we'll have pictures in the next few weeks. :)

Oh, and there's supposedly a TRU exclusive 12" Mace Windu

AreTwo-DeeTwo
01-20-2002, 05:02 PM
Here's hoping that Hasbro will release a single version of Jango Fett. I was hoping for something like 100th version Luke with snap on armor, accesories, removeable helmet and the like. Could even come with little Boba Fett actually.

I was hoping for a Padme as well. I guess I am fine with the selection. Surely more will follow.

derek
01-20-2002, 05:15 PM
COME ON PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!

i'm curious that the body style of these figures wasn't mentioned. hopefully the old gi joe body will finally see retirement. and where's padme? hopefully when/if she is released it won't be on a barbie body.

another darth vader? there will still be the 12 inch ROTJ version 2 pack on the shelves when this one is released. i would of rather seen a mace/jango 2 pack. not that i really want another mace anyway. he is exactly the same as E1.

also, dengar, zucksuss, and another imperial officer will come out in october.

hopefully the clone trooper will be of marmit quality instead of the sub quality stormtrooper hasbro has released the last few years.

SirSteve
01-20-2002, 05:32 PM
This really makes me mad... they keep going against Hasbro's guidelines and posting this stuff. I've known about thess for a long time now. This "working with Hasbro" deal is wearing thin and I should just dump everything I have (meaning pics and info)...

Watch it disappear on Monday.

chewie
01-20-2002, 06:43 PM
This deal's getting worse all the time.

derek
01-20-2002, 06:54 PM
are you refering to rebelscum.com? they were at toyfair in dallas, where rebelscum is also located. are they not supposed to discuss what they saw at the event?

if "dump" means post, then do so please.

GNT
01-20-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve
This really makes me mad... they keep going against Hasbro's guidelines and posting this stuff. I've known about thess for a long time now. This "working with Hasbro" deal is wearing thin and I should just dump everything I have (meaning pics and info)...

They aren't posting images so they arent really breaking any guidelines,At least they are bring us details on the new product on the long wait to the movie :)IMO

Lets look at what they posted,the new SW JR. Line,They've already been announced,the classic 12" figures have been announced already,AOTC 12" will have the realscan treatment,we already know that and the 12" AOTC figures are general knowledge(who couldn't see them coming?) plus they reveal no images.

JediCole
01-20-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve

I would imagine, Sir Steve, that the worst part is that you have had this information and the images thereof for months and been unable to release a bit of it due to your dilligent adherence to the guidlelines put forth by Hasbro, then other sites fly in the face of those guidelines, YET it seems only a week or two later, the very images and information that they released outside of said guidelines is OFFICIALLY released on the Star Wars site!

What I am getting at is that Sir Steve has been slavishly loyal to Hasbro while other sites "scoop" this one (as they have NOTHING to loose, a point I've made before), then within two to ten days of these "scoops", the Official Star Wars site releases the very information and images that were disallowed on this site (and others that adhere to the rules)! So Sir Steve's frustration must be further magnified by the fact that, in all likelyhood, everything that he cannot share regarding the 12" line will appear on the official site sometime next week (revelaed to us via a link from this site, the very one not allowed to show such images today). Mark my words, this seems to be the trend.

Beast
01-20-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by GNT
They aren't posting images so they arent really breaking any guidelines,At least they are bring us details on the new product on the long wait to the movie :)IMO

According to what Sir Steve has said in the past, Hasbro doesn't even want people posting information about the figures. I imagine Steve must be suffering with all the information that he has about the figures, and having to keep it a secret. And then to have all the other sites break the media blackout on the toys. Hopefully his respect of Hasbro's wishes means that he will get some good treatment at Toy Fair in febuary.

But I agree Sir Steve, if all these other sites are just gonna continue to post the info, I think you are justified with doing the same. Whatever you decide to do, I think Hasbro should definatly allow you some exclusive pictures or info that others sites havent broken the news on yet.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

AreTwo-DeeTwo
01-21-2002, 10:01 AM
Give into your anger and post all you have. Only Hasbro and Lucasfilm can stop you now.

SirSteve
01-21-2002, 11:03 AM
According to Hasbro, the ONLY thing E2 related a fan site can disclose is what they have already released.

Seeing how they (Hasbro) released the pictures today, it doesn't matter now...

pthfnder89
01-21-2002, 11:20 AM
I can't believe that they were showing those figures only a mile away from me here in Dallas, and I didn't know a thing about it. :(:(:(:(:(:(

*whumps his head on the wall in shame...*

JEDIpartner
01-21-2002, 12:03 PM
Sir Steve...

Let me just say that, as a forum poster, I admire your restraint. It just shows are an upstanding individual and that you are running a legitimate site dedicated to STAR WARS fans and collectors alike. I understand the frustration you must feel when you know that Hasbro has a good product and you would like to share it with your counterparts out here in the world. I can espically appreciate your frustration when you have the inside track on stuff like the new figures and there are peopl , like myself, who think the new toys are pretty much crap and perhaps you know otherwise. Just hang in there and keep up the good work. Perhaps you will be able to get us better pictures when the line has been revealed at the toy expos and the like. I can wait... it's not the end of the world. We didn't even have THIS before the internet, so we should consider ourselves lucky. Keep up the good work!! (and I'll try to keep my mouth shut!)

Darth Ludicrous
01-21-2002, 02:27 PM
What I don't get is, why is the promise of access at Toy Fair so enticing when Hasbro has already revealed most of the episode 2 line a month before toy fair? And didn't Hasbro post "official" toy fair pics last year anyway?

You make it sound like they offered you something in exchange for cooperation, but now they are effectively destroying the value of what they offered you ("the scoop"). That sort of behavior negates a bargained-for exchange.

Do you really expect there to be enough new at Toy Fair to justify sitting on the information you have for months on end? And where does this embargo end? After Toy Fair? Or do you have to sit on news after Toy Fair until next year's toy fair?

I think I enjoyed the site more when you were posting snapshots of hard copy episode 1 figures.

JEDIpartner
01-21-2002, 02:36 PM
I'm guessing that it would be easier for a toy reviewer to make a better call after seeing the product first-hand as opposed to just seeing the pictures. I, personally, don't feel that there will be any surprises with the basic figure line. That still remains to be seen, though. At this point I feel the line is riddled with gimmicky, poorly articulated, Michael Flatley-legged statues. SirSteve insists that we reserve our judgement until we see these otherwise.

Like I said, I'M not expecting any surprises to be revealed at the Toy expos, but who the heck knows at this point.

SirSteve
01-21-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Darth Ludicrous
What I don't get is, why is the promise of access at Toy Fair so enticing when Hasbro has already revealed most of the episode 2 line a month before toy fair? And didn't Hasbro post "official" toy fair pics last year anyway?

You make it sound like they offered you something in exchange for cooperation, but now they are effectively destroying the value of what they offered you ("the scoop"). That sort of behavior negates a bargained-for exchange.

Do you really expect there to be enough new at Toy Fair to justify sitting on the information you have for months on end? And where does this embargo end? After Toy Fair? Or do you have to sit on news after Toy Fair until next year's toy fair?

I think I enjoyed the site more when you were posting snapshots of hard copy episode 1 figures.

According to Hasbro, they are only going to show 25% of the line on their web site. Who knows though... waiting for another reply from them on it.

El Chuxter
01-21-2002, 03:02 PM
Hmmmm. . . . The way I see it, not allowing fan sites to create tons of free advertising is bad business. I could understand the justification if the edict came directly from Lucas to prevent spoilers, but since pretty much the entire story is available online (if you choose to hunt it down), that doesn't seem to be the case.

GNT
01-21-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Darth Ludicrous

Also if Sirsteve has "seen" the figures and has "pictures" of them then what is the need to go to Toy Fair since that'll everything he has already?

jedibear
01-22-2002, 01:26 AM
First off, let me second jedipartnr's comments to SirSteve...

I've been visiting this site for years & although other sites may "scoop" announcements on product, this site has always been good at sifting through the noise and going with what's really going on. Bottom line: being first is not always being the best and that in itself shows some class. Keep up the good work SirSteve & co.... Plus, with some exceptions, the forum visators on this site have a better caliber of discussion on the figures, movies & everything else that keeps us coming back to SW...now. before I make anyone else around here blush, back to the topic at hand...

I think that it's a given that we haven't seen the bulk of the collection yet..."officially" it's only been 6 basic figures, three deluxe ones, two beasts, two vehicles & now three Action Collection entries.

I've ventured this opinion before & I'll say it again....I don't think April 22nd is going to contian the flood of stuff that greeted Episode One, but I'll bet there will be about 20 figures, the aforementioned "official" items & maybe some other surprises.

For those who are not impressed by the overly-posed intial waves, I think we'll see plenty of multiple versions of core characters (judging from the trailers, Padme is as big a clotheshorse in AOTC as she was in the first film, if not more so).

If you've followed the trailers & spoilers, wer'e in for LOTS of different figures & maybe even a playset or two (Arena action playset, anyone?).

As for the Action Collection preview we've had...I've already expressed my views i the "Preview" thread (from the photos at least, same stiff bodies, strange glossy detailing, and easily damaged packaging[if it follows the Luke/Yoda package scheme]) but like I've said about ALL the figures, small & large...half the time, the pictures don't do the final product justice. I also agree that Jango should be boxed seperately, but if he must be part of a set, it should be with young Boba. If they do a single box version of him, he's sure to suffer the same shelve-warming fate young Anakin did in the EpOne collection.
The one thing mentioned in the "Dallas" story that was heartening was that there will be some classics released this year as well (the other classic Bounty Hunters, an Imp Officer...now if only we'd get that Gam Guard, I'd be in heaven!)

All this AOTC stuff & Ephont Man...woo-hoo, whatta year it's gonna be....

Tycho
01-23-2002, 05:15 AM
Why Vader? There was going to be an Ultimate Edition Fett as a Target Exclusive with Lil Boba in there.

I'll just save the Vader and per chance not need to buy one for my Episode Three 12" displays. (Or maybe Jango will be offered in other ways and I'll just skip this one).

I have never seen pictures of a SuperDroid, so I am definitely curious about this. I've been nervous that it is something stupid both in the film and the toy versions and hope that I will be impressed. Time will tell...

Beast
01-23-2002, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
I have never seen pictures of a SuperDroid, so I am definitely curious about this. I've been nervous that it is something stupid both in the film and the toy versions and hope that I will be impressed. Time will tell...

Here ya go Tycho, a picture of what the Super Battle Droids will look like. This was posted a while back, and I'm glad I saved the image, so that I could post it for you and the others that are curious. To me it looks like an early version of a DarkTrooper.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
01-23-2002, 06:00 AM
Thanks. I'm not sure I like what Lucas allowed for this though. It didn't make a great first impression, but I will have to take some time and see if I can get used to it for a while until I post again.

I have had time to adjust to the CloneTrooper's look and I still don't like it. I would have gone another route.

I care less about what the droids look like, but this reminds me of the ASP-7, only less interesting. Hopefully when we see it in action it'll be much cooler. I know about the blaster cannons in the arms. Still doesn't make too much of a difference. Maybe it transforms???