PDA

View Full Version : Die-Cast AMT pics

sicqnus
11-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Here are the first AMT die-cast boxes pics. The glue kits are the JSF (shown in four colors on the box) and the Tank. The AMT kits will be US exclusives. Priced around $20 for the glue kits and around $28-30 for the DC (they are bigger than the Ultra Titaniums).

For those interested, her are the galleries of the two exhibits of the moment : The StarWars expos in Boston and Paris.
Lots of filming models pictured.

http://www.forbiddenplastic.com/ref_star_wars/index.html (Boston).

http://strikerfoxx.free.fr/Models%20Album/index.php?show_heading=list&dir=Star%20Wars%20Expo&page_num=1 (Paris).

Warstar
11-22-2005, 03:06 PM
ME WANT! COOOOL! :laugh:

Those die-cast models will have to weigh a TON though...

Are they going to available at all retailers or just hobby stores or...?

JediTricks
11-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Price on these doubled since the last sets, that's too bad. The out-of-the-box paint looks barely passable, and I don't think the Droid Tri is enough of a player to get my attention anymore. I will get the Jedi Starfighter though, it looks decent.

AndyW
11-23-2005, 02:50 AM
Well, they are quite nice, but other than being in metal, and having stands (that is a plus point) I don't really see what this gives us over the plastic Revell kits which are MUCH cheaper, and sold in Europe.

Add the fact that we have a Titanium Ultra droid fighter already (and I would expect a Jedi Starfighter sooner or later in that line) then the only thing that interests me is the Corporate Alliance Tank. If I saw them onsale in a shop I may go for them, but I wouldn't goto the same extent that I have been to getting the Titaniums, these new models aren't that good enough to warrant that.

(Plus I'm quickly running out of display room-need a bigger apartment!)

sergiurusu
12-07-2005, 05:35 AM
then the only thing that interests me is the Corporate Alliance Tank.

The same here. That would be nice to add to my collection

ascmclarencoupe
12-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Has anyone seen these on the shelves anywhere yet? I would rally like to check these out in person instead of mail ordering them.

JediTricks,
You say that the "price on these doubled since the last sets", does that mean that there were some previously released AMT/ERTL die-cast SW ships before?

Brent

JediTricks
12-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Yeah, for Ep 1 they released a very very nice Naboo Fighter and a 3pack of Droid Fighters.

Sadly, I still haven't found these metal models on shelves yet.

sicqnus
12-21-2005, 06:39 PM
The DC kits are already on the shelves. They can be found for approx. $18 each. The DC JSF exists in Obi-Wan and Anakin's colors.

JediTricks
12-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Where, in Europe or here in the US?

sicqnus
12-22-2005, 07:16 AM
In the US. In fact they are US exclusives. They are also already available in Japan but at a pretty expensive price... (between $30 - $40).

Pics here from a fellow SSM-chatter :
http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33646

ascmclarencoupe
12-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Yeah, for Ep 1 they released a very very nice Naboo Fighter and a 3pack of Droid Fighters.

Sadly, I still haven't found these metal models on shelves yet.

Interesting, I might have to start hunting on eBay for those, thanks.

I talked to a friend of mine last night who is a ERTL dealer, 99% of his business is in 1/18 cars. I jokingly asked him if he had any plans to order these die-cast SW items and he said that he actually received a case of something SW by mistake from ERTL in one of his recent shipments (he is not into SW at all so he couldn't tell me what they were). He said he thought about calling me but didn't think I would have been interested in buying a full case of them so he sent them back.

Anyway, this tells me that they are indeed out there but they may still be in the backroom of the stores waiting to be put out or something. I don't get it though, as a retailer, I would be making room for them in my store, with Christmas just a few days away. :confused:

Brent

JediTricks
12-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Weird, I wonder where they're showing up then.

matthewilw
01-01-2006, 03:00 AM
I found about 10 Anakin-colored JSFs today at a local Hastings (books/media). So they're definately out now and available. I decided to pass simply because they are far larger than AF scale and ships of that size do not interest me.

JediTricks
02-16-2006, 03:28 PM
I saw these yesterday at my local comic shop. The Droid Tri Fighter doesn't look that great, but the Anakin JSF and Obi-Wan JSF looked nice, I'm gonna go back tomorrow and get the Obi-Wan version.

Warstar
02-16-2006, 05:06 PM
What are these going for- price-wise I mean?

I'm intrigued by them simply for the metal factor :thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-17-2006, 02:26 PM
They want $20 each. I'll let you know how they are when I get back. I hope it's as nice as the Naboo Fighter.

JediTricks
02-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Well, I went back and they had just 1 JSF left, luckily it was the Obi-Wan one I wanted. Here's my mini-review with yammering background details ;):

AMT/Ertl Episode III Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter Die-Cast Model - 7 years ago, AMT/Ertl released the die cast model of the Naboo Fighter, it screwed together rather than requiring glue so it felt solid rather than flimsy and fragile, the main body was painted yellow and the silver parts were chromed but the droid and cockpit interior were left unpainted, I bought it during the first Midnight Madness and was thrilled with the finished product, it was perfectly shaped, real metal with accurate chrome, it looked tremendous even though I didn't paint the droid or cockpit, and I was always disappointed that AMT never continued with more die cast models. Fast forward 6 years to the release of Revenge of the Sith and AMT/Ertl finally releases 2 more painted models, Anakin's Ep 3 Jedi Starfighter and the Droid Tri-Fighter, followed soon by Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter - unfortunately these were released way way after the movie and not well-distributed, plus hard to find and info on their true price was confusing, it seemed like they were selling for $30 which seemed too much. However, my local rip-off comic shop actually got these in last week nearly a year after the movie came out, and they wanted $20 for each, the Anakin yellow color didn't interest me and the Droid Tri-Fighter didn't look that good, but I went back and picked up the last Obi-Wan JSF yesterday.

The build is pretty simple, no trimming or anything, just put a few parts on this, slide halves together, connect wing pieces, screw screws into place (screws are a little bit of a pain, 3 different shapes of screws referred to as A, B, and C, but the instruction info is almost no help as to which is which), the cockpit interior is already assembled as is the left wing panels and the canopy. The finished piece is really nice, it's got a good weight to it, they painted nearly everything this time including some nice work on the interior with its light yellow details, the exterior has a fantastic subtle singed look like it's been flying through fire, and the cockpit canopy is frosted over to add to the realism. The solar panels really open, but go past their specific lock points so you have to adjust them to the proper angles. The overall shape is just right, and because it's a die cast model rather than a toy it's not thick like toys are, yet it's metal so it's not fragile. The stand this time is only plastic, but it is the Republic logo for the base. I can't decide if it looks better with the cockpit opened or closed, it looks great both ways. I think it is a tremendous piece and I'm only sorry it took me so long to track it down.

Warstar
02-18-2006, 10:48 PM
I want them now...all of them.

No online shops seem to have them, and I don't see them on Ebay.

Anyone have any leads?

JediTricks
02-20-2006, 03:47 AM
Here's an Anakin one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6038118833

and another:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6023287917

That first seller has had a few of them sell already too so it's not their only one. I searched for "amt jedi starfighter" and found these, as you can see you have to check each auction because sometimes they don't say it's die-cast in the title. I tried "ertl jedi starfighter" but got shoddier results.

Warstar
02-20-2006, 03:52 AM
Ertl was precisely why I didn't see them- the AMT works- THANKS! :D

I might stop by Hastings here to see if they have them, too, but my ex works there, and, uh, I think that the staff there is none-to-happy with me lol

Still- now I know what to search for :)

JediTricks
02-20-2006, 05:41 AM
Good luck.

BTW, technically they are "AMT/Ertl" which is owned by RC2, so don't be surprised to find those names flying around on the web all willy-nilly, but Ertl does seem to be the winning searchword so far.

SHOPPING MAUL
02-20-2006, 12:19 PM
Sorry if i'm a little late with this, but about 3 weeks ago i
bought the Anakin Jedi starfighter, and the droid trifighter
at a local model hobby shop. I paid about $17.20 with tax
for each....
Try your area model hobby shops. They might have them.

sicqnus
02-21-2006, 03:00 AM
Agree, I bought them for $18 each on Ebay + shipping. Not bad.

JediTricks
02-21-2006, 03:25 AM
Here's what I don't get, the AMT/Ertl model is only a tiny bit bigger than Action Fleet vehicles, I paid the same price I would have if I had bought a Titanium Ultra 6" vehicle, only I got something that has WAY better design and superior paint work and they even did part of the assembly, why can't Hasbro put out work this good? Lines this clean? Paint this tight? Action features like opening wings? (ARC-170 blew it by abandoning this) I'm payin' the same dang price for it, Hasbro's vehicles have abandoned AF minifigs, so what's the deal?

I really wish AMT/Ertl would get their stuff together and put out EVERY ship in Star Wars as a Die Cast model this nice.

sicqnus
02-22-2006, 04:59 PM
For those interested : Dave Roberts at DNStoys.com have the AMT/ERTL diecast Obi-Wan's Starfighter for only $12.99 + shipping. Link below.

http://www.dnstoys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DSSTW&Product_Code=38498&Category_Code=SWMOD

or :

http://www.dnstoys.com/