PDA

View Full Version : '06 Bricks Hit

Ji'dai
11-22-2005, 05:04 PM
I spotted a slew of the new '06 sets at TRU this week. Although I haven't seen any new Star Wars kits I wouldn't be surprised if they are released prior to Christmas too. This Brickshelf folder (http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=148078) has pics of the new sets, which include:

Town/City
The first System airport in over 10 years. The new jet designs feature a realistic-looking fuselage and nose cones. I don't know what to think about the new jets, they look almost too big to be mini-fig scale. I like the realistic design, but I didn't have a problem with the old planes either.

The first System hospital since 1987. The rescue vehicles look pretty cool, especially the ambulance, but the hospital looks strange sitting on top of that large baseplate. I'm not too crazy about the rescue chopper either; I think it's the oversized landing gear.

Racers
A Ferrari Spider is represented in brick form and is reminiscent of the old Model Team sets. There are also more Ferrari System scale sets, including a large race kit with garage.

EXOFORCE
A new theme debuts with EXOFORCE, an anime-inspired System-scale series of robots and mechs. The mini-figs include both robots and humans with spikey anime-style mop-tops. The sets feature mini-fig-controlled mechs with Japanese language glyphs. I'm not sure if the mech robots "transform" or not. My TRU had a quite a few of these things.

Slicker
11-22-2005, 05:09 PM
I don't like the way that the town sets have looked over the past 5-7 years. Give me more classic sets like they've been re-releasing and I'll be happy. The only set that looks even decent to me is the jet. The airport looks too furturistic as does the hospital. I remember when I was really in to LEGOs they'd actually have substance to them instead of just having windows as all of the walls.

EDIT: The Ferrari sets look decent as well but they just don't compare to the old school race sets, IMO.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-22-2005, 05:15 PM
I didn't realize the airport set was a 2006 set. It's been at my TRU for at least a month now. It'd be nice to find some 2006 SW sets in 2005 at TRU. They have a $5 off $25 purchase coupon floating around.

JediTricks
11-22-2005, 06:55 PM
The hospital looks like a lousy set IMO, not much of a building at all, mirrors a lot of the latest City buildings in some ways. The rescue vehicles look good though, I want that fire truck. The rescue chopper looks good but perhaps small.

I like the look of the new Airport sets, the new planes look very nice, but I am concerned that they'll be too dependent on specialty-part builds.

That Technic Quad looks cool, I will probably end up with it.

About half the racer designs in the gallery look pretty nifty. I think the Ferarri Spider looks really bad though, the only good thing about the set appears to be the wheels.

Those Exo-force sets look tremendous, I was at TRU last night but no luck, I definitely will be dropping major coin on those. I kinda wish they didn't have all the Japanese writing on them though.

Ji'dai
11-23-2005, 12:33 PM
I didn't realize the airport set was a 2006 set. It's been at my TRU for at least a month now. It'd be nice to find some 2006 SW sets in 2005 at TRU. They have a $5 off $25 purchase coupon floating around. Are you talking about the 10159 LEGO City Airport (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/10159)? That one has been available at TRU for the last month or so and is a re-release of the last great Town airport, 6597 Century Skyway (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6597). As Slicker noted, those Town sets prior to '96 were some of the best ever.

The new '06 airport, shown here (http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1419018), features the updated jet fuselage and nose cone. I like the jet but the terminal leaves a lot to be desired.

El Chuxter
11-23-2005, 04:41 PM
I read this wrong, and thought it said "06 hits bricks," as in a new car smashing into a wall. My first thought was "man, that's gotta hurt."

I'm glad to see these are out, since it's likely the '05 sets are going to hit clearance prices soon. :)

LusiferSam
11-24-2005, 12:22 PM
:sleeping: :o :sleeping:
Boring. Talk about lame. I've never been into Town, but those are the only non SW set that look interesting to me. The Lear Jet (http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1419017) but maybe too megabloksish. I really doubt I'll get because like I said I'm really not into Town. Well here's to hoping for better stuff later in the year.

I really don't like the Exoforce stuff. Somebody needs to like the Japanese that mechs suck (a long with half their animation). I've just never like the concept.

JediTricks
11-29-2005, 07:00 PM
My TRU had some of the town (no jets though) and a couple of the Exoforce last night. The exoforce sets were Sonic Phantom and Gate Assault, the packaging on both was so incredibly awful that I really couldn't get a good idea of what the toys actually looked like and there was a lot of empty black space making the few photos seem even less intelligible, but I suspected that they looked pretty lame so I passed on both for the time being because they look like a minimal amount of actual pieces, more like a mishmosh of the weakest Alpha Team sets with leftovers from Bionicle and Racers and Knights Kingdom and other various oddity lines. I hope I'm wrong, but until I see more photos of the actual sets, I'm not going to concern myself with this line.

Battle Droid
11-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Some pretty good pics of one of the Jets.

Very Nice! :thumbsup:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=154235

Is that a bathroom in the back past the galley?

JediTricks
11-30-2005, 03:09 PM
The galley being the removable drink cart and the sink, yes? I dunno what's back there, the tail section doesn't come apart like the rest. My guess is that it's only empty cargo space, but that'd be pretty funny if it was the head.

Here's another detailed gallery of the jet: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=154236

Battle Droid
11-30-2005, 06:52 PM
How much does it cost?

Ji'dai
11-30-2005, 10:16 PM
The 7893 Passenger Plane retails for $50, Battle Droid.

That Brickshelf presentation for the 7893 was pretty nifty. I noticed the Clone Troopers riding Third or Business Class though, Palpatine must be a cheap sonuva-

I'll probably get one of these but it's going to look ridiculous taxiing around my old Town airports. This thing looks huge. Lots of single-use pieces here too, especially the main wing. It might look cool suspended in the air over a town set-up.

JediTricks
12-01-2005, 02:28 PM
7893 costs $40, not $50. And TRU.com has it on sale for $30 right now! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000A32OCO/qid=1133468827/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl21/103-4382642-6983059?v=glance&s=toys&n=507846

I noticed those clones in coach as well. And the AT-RT drivers were flying the plane.

IMO, the only real problem with its look is the ugly landing gear, that's gotta go.

plasticfetish
12-02-2005, 01:54 AM
We hit TRU tonight and hung out in the Lego section as the merchandising ladies unloaded tons of boxes and filled the shelves up with new merchandise...

Everything looked great. There's a Prehistoric Power set (4892) that I'd never seen, for $20 it's really cool. There was a few of the larger Exo-force sets out -- tons of them. I think they look cool. Had no idea about that line, they look fun and I can't wait to see some of the smaller sets.

Slicker
12-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Just got back from TRU and I saw the Passenger Plane. It comes in quite a big box and I actually like it. I looked at the pics on the back and was reminded of the LEGO sets of yore. It would easily blend in with an early to mid 90's LEGO diorama.

Ji'dai
12-04-2005, 12:52 AM
7893 costs $40, not $50. And TRU.com has it on sale for $30 right now! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000A32OCO/qid=1133468827/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl21/103-4382642-6983059?v=glance&s=toys&n=507846 ...

Whoo... thirty bucks is mighty tempting but I ultimately didn't include the Passenger Jet with my order. I did buy the UCS Y-Wing ($40 off) and the new Ambulance (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7890) and Airport Fire Truck (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7891) (both 25% off).

Along with a great deal on the UCS Y-Wing, TRU/Amazon has the UCS Star Destroyer for $224, which is the cheapest I've seen that set online.

Ji'dai
12-16-2005, 11:01 PM
The local TRU had more EXO-Force sets in today, including the main mechs. It is hard to discern what the actual set looks like from the massive amount of artwork on the boxes.

Though I've never been crazy about transforming robots or mechs I do like the look of the 7704 Sonic Phantom, which reminds me of a pod racer. I think this set would work well in a Boonta Eve diorama with the other "official" pod racers.

I didn't realize the Phantom had two rear engine repulsors with mounted cannon until I saw pics of the vehicle on TRU.com (see attached). I suppose you could mount those rear repulsors on top of the front ones to achieve a quad-engine effect.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-19-2005, 01:31 PM
I haven't seen the new 06 SW sets yet but the local TRU did have shelf tags out for the TIE/I. There was an exoforce set but to me it's like an anime version of Bionicle. Meh.

Ji'dai
12-19-2005, 05:45 PM
I found all five '06 Star Wars sets at TRU last Friday. In my excitement, I bought one of each but I don't regret it. Especially since I noticed that TRU sold out of them over the weekend.

I was looking more closely at some of the Exo-Force sets and they advertise "light power" on the box. Looks like some sets incorporate fiber-optics into the design but I don't know if they are battery powered or not. Could be a new type of lighting brick powered by a button cell.

JediTricks
12-21-2005, 04:52 PM
I haven't seen the new 06 SW sets yet but the local TRU did have shelf tags out for the TIE/I. There was an exoforce set but to me it's like an anime version of Bionicle. Meh.
I felt the same way, anime bionicle, but it's not the case at all, I bought one last night and only its sword is Bionicle, the rest is real LEGO building.

So I finally saw 3 of the 4 main mechs in this line last night, I ended up buying Thunder Fury (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7702) basically as a "I'll take a bullet for the gang and review it" situation because the packaging did the same horrible job of being totally unable to sell the product inside on its own. I'm gonna do a full review tomorrow, but the bottom line is it's not perfect but it's pretty cool and it's WAY more LEGO than I was expecting.

First off, it's $15 but has 197 pieces including an LED light-up brick, and the brick assortment is surprisingly acceptable, these are real LEGO pieces, not Bionicle bullcrap (notice that those are $8 for just 50 pieces, that right there should suggest a big difference).

Second, every single photo LEGO's put out of this thing has been completely incapable of showing how it really looks, especially how the whole main chest is out in front, very mech-like.

Third, they used a lot of the newer articulation like from the Technic Super Battle Droid, it's bigger and rounder and stronger and integrated with bricks, but not that LEGO-looking. The main body is all LEGO and the limbs are mostly articulation bricks.

Fourth, the colors are really good, all gray, dark gray, dark red, and black, no silly green or tan to keep things lively the way LEGO has been known to do. But there are 30 friggin' stickers and it does look a little plain without them.

Fifth, the LED and fiber optic line look very nice, it's a simple system but works well, doesn't jack up the pricetag, creative. The weapon is a bit wobbly and the fiber optics only light up the laser sight, not the barrel.

Finally, I'll mention that there's lots of room to build onto the set if you want because it's all bricks and bricks-w/technic.

It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's way better than I expected.

Ji'dai
12-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Are you going to cover the light-up feature in your review? I'm assuming LEGO is using a button cell-powered LED in these new sets that is similar to the light-up lightsaber mini-figs. But are the batteries replaceable this time around?

JediTricks
12-23-2005, 01:44 AM
I will cover it, tomorrow if I have time but more likely Monday, the short version is that the brick (it's clear, the size of a standard 2x4 brick if it had no studs on top, it also has channels cut out on either side so it can work with LEGO runner plates, but they don't use 'em here) is sealed from what I can see and there are no instructions on replacing the battery. It's a really simple design, the top of the brick has a cutout that bends in a little to act as the button, thus pushing the leads of the LED against the battery. I'll take pictures of it and you'll all say "oh". :p

Ji'dai
12-29-2005, 06:14 PM
I guess the mini-catalogs that were included with each set are gone for good. The sets I've opened recently have a few pages devoted to the other sets in the theme in the set's instruction manual. I have a large collection of mini-catalogs dating from the 1970s through the present and always loved going through them. But I suppose if eliminating the catalogs saves money and keeps consumer prices low I'm all for it.

Also new with the '06 sets I've seen is a detailed part inventory of the set included in the building instructions. A photo of each piece and the number included is shown along with the official part number.

JediTricks
12-29-2005, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I miss the mini catalogs too, they weren't in my Exo-Force set.

I may be mistaken, but I think the parts breakdown in the instructions may actually be borrowed from Mega-Bloks, I don't remember ever seeing any other Lego set with that but I've seen several Bloks sets (as well as Art Asylum's C3 line) which had that. It's a good feature, I had an ROTS set that had a bum part and was small and unusual and looked like another part, I called for a replacement but the first time it was the opposite part since it was in the same set and was on the same page, and the second time they sent me the right part but also since they weren't 100% sure if it was it they sent me another part (which in fact was the wrong part altogether, it was a worm gear that wasn't in the set) - now all that can be avoided.

BTW, I haven't gotten around to reviewing the Exo-Force mech, but here's a couple photos of the light brick it comes with. The last 2 are when I decided I was getting too much flash and turned it off... that didn't work out well. :p The last 1 is of the bottom of the brick.

LusiferSam
12-30-2005, 12:20 PM
I haven't seen a new mini-catalog in two years. :cry: I don't have as many as it sound like you have Ji'dai. But I do have a stack about 10" tall going back to '84 (with a '81 in there).

Speaking of catalogs, I just got the new S@H catalog yesterday (thank you USPS for beating the heck out of it). I got my first good look at those Exoforce set. Yuck! Those look like total crap to me and based on some dumb*** mech anima. I won't buy this junk.

As for the part innovatory, that's new for '06 Lego sets. Basic and Universal building set had innovators on the outside of there package.

Ji'dai
12-30-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks for taking the pics of the new light brick, JT. I suppose LEGO could sell a bag of replacement light bricks when the batteries do die out.

I haven't seen a new mini-catalog in two years. :cry: I don't have as many as it sound like you have Ji'dai. But I do have a stack about 10" tall going back to '84 (with a '81 in there). I got a shoebox full of 'em. The oldest ones I have have the "big people" in them. Still have quite a few of the big people figures in my collection too.

Speaking of catalogs, I just got the new S@H catalog yesterday (thank you USPS for beating the heck out of it). I got my first good look at those Exoforce set. Yuck! Those look like total crap to me and based on some dumb*** mech anima. I won't buy this junk. I got my catalog today. I don't really care for anime or mechs either but I like the mini-figs for some reason. Must be the spiky hairpieces. The alternate model for the 7700 Stealth Hunter, the "Stealth Wasp," is pretty sweet. I may buy that set so I can build the Wasp. And as I mentioned before, I think the 7704 Sonic Phantom is pretty cool looking and reminds me of a pod racer.

As for the part inventory, that's new for '06 Lego sets. Basic and Universal building set had inventories on the outside of the package. Yeah, you're right. The last tub I bought (Silver Anniversary Freestyle tub, 1998) had a part inventory on the side and the Designer set I have, Building Bonanza, has a part inventory in the instructions. So LEGO must be including a part inventory with all sets beginning with the '06 product line.

Slicker
12-30-2005, 11:01 PM
I finally saw some of these new sets today (well, saw the Interceptor the other day) and I must say I was wrong about Slave I. If the box is any indication of the size of it then I guess it may be worth the price. It's really nice seeing OT sets on the shelves again too. I was gettin' tired of the same ol' ROTS sets.

JediTricks
12-31-2005, 03:40 PM
Sure thing Ji'dai, glad I could oblige. That's a good point about selling extra light bricks, unlike the LU minifigs this is a simple, generic piece... they should offer a pack of bricks and different lengths of the rubbery fiber optic line, and maybe bricks in red, green, and blue LEDs.

You guys, don't judge the Exo-force designs purely on the LEGO photos, for some reason LEGO has done the worst job at taking photos of these things, I'll try to show you what I mean next week.

So LEGO must be including a part inventory with all sets beginning with the '06 product line.Actually, the 4888 Ocean Odyssey that came out in mid-'05 has a parts inventory, I got the set for xmas, it's pretty cool (as long as you don't mind lots and lots of yellow :D).

Ji'dai
01-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Actually, the 4888 Ocean Odyssey that came out in mid-'05 has a parts inventory, I got the set for xmas, it's pretty cool (as long as you don't mind lots and lots of yellow :D). Yep, that set is in the Designer theme, all of which have part inventories. I think Designer has inheirited the mantle of the old BASIC 7+ (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/basic/basic7) theme. Many buckets and tubs have had part inventories in the past but this is the first time I've seen System sets with them.

On another note, I was building the 7893 Passenger Plane and was surprised to see the Classic Space logo on this mini-fig (see attached). Space was my favorite theme as a kid. Maybe we'll see a classic Space set re-released in the LEGENDS line this year.

JediTricks
01-01-2006, 06:11 PM
The 4099 I bought on clearance and 4404 I got as a gift didn't have inventories, neither did any of the xpods, they're Designer sets (warning, I may be wrong about this, I haven't looked at the instructions in a while).

I noticed that space logo on the minifig in the box photos a while back, I am glad others know what it means still! :cool: Better than wearing an Octan jacket I suppose. :p

Ji'dai
01-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Man, you got the Land Buster, I'm jealous. I missed out on that one. Maybe part inventories began with Designer sets released in 2004. XPods are so small that a part inventory would be overkill. Some small sets like polybags don't even come with instructions.

JediTricks
01-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Yeah, Land Busters is a great set, I wish all LEGO instructions were this fun. I asked for the Land Busters and Sea Riders for my birthday in '04, the only reason I didn't end up with the 4402 Sea Riders too is because LEGO misprinted the box so it had the wrong name on it, it said "4402 Motion Madness" which is the right set number but the name was a different set out at the time (4090, that one was part of the Inventor series).

So last night at Target, I came across the Slave I, the Exoforce Grand Titan, and both of the Exoforce $5 sets - Uplink & Sentry. $50 seemed a little steep, so I spent half that and bought all the Exoforce sets I mentioned.

Grand Titan they went a little cheap on the arm articulation, he's the only $15 mech with smaller style arm joints, but he's still a pretty decent figure with good articulation and proportions, and has IMO the best light-up weapon in the line in that the light feature actually IS the cannon rather than just a sight like all the others. He's got a great-looking alternate model (not the combined model though), I'm pretty sure I'll be building it as well but I wish they had included instructions for it. Grand Titan isn't as dependent on stickers as Thunder Fury was, but the stickers do add some character so I applied nearly all of 'em. The minifig is ok, the hair is rubbery material rather than hard plastic, that was cool, and I like the second expression system, LEGO has been doing pretty good with these alternate expression faces for the past few years.

Uplink is very cool, I love his twin cannon, for a $5 set it's really worth picking up. The orange color is loud and works well for the bot, gives it a lot more life than if it were a muted color like the larger sets. They packed a lot of articulation into this pricepoint without sacrificing mech style or weaponry (although he has weapon-arms that aren't quite normal, and his mini-missles holder is a little loose). There aren't many stickers and he looked good without 'em as well as with, plus the one with Japanese text translates it on the sticker sheet which is awesome (Grand Titan has even more translated text on his sticker sheet). I'm absolutely in love with the alt model too, I am definitely building it in the next few days.

Sentry is the other $5 set and different enough that he's ALSO worth getting. His tan armor plates are a little boring, but his gun is almost as cool as Uplink's and he too has mini-missiles. I like his articulation more than Uplink's which is saying a lot, while there are some similarities in the legs the overall effect is vastly different. Unlike Uplink, he really did need the stickers because the tan is not interesting. Sentry has much more interesting shoulder and feet designs.

JediTricks
01-08-2006, 01:48 AM
Picked up the V-wing at the Lego store last night. It's a good build, a decent set, not exactly accurate - the fuselage should be thicker - but since we barely see it onscreen it gets a pass there. I like the wings-closed position too, it looks like something that might be on the new Battlestar Galactica. All in all, it's not perfect but it's a nifty $10 set.

Ji'dai
01-19-2006, 03:40 PM
LEGO my EGGO!

Talk about playing with your food! Kellogg's has introduced a new LEGO EGGO waffle that breaks apart into several of the familiar 2x4 basic brick shapes. Each waffle "brick" sports studs on the top for budding breakfast builders to make and create before digging in.

The new LEGO Club Magazine, which I received today, has an insert advertising the waffles along with a $1 off coupon that expires March 31.

JediTricks
01-20-2006, 10:13 PM
I saw these at the store last week, they looked cute but ultimately I just want to *eat* my toaster waffles, so I passed. ;)

plasticfetish
01-31-2006, 05:04 AM
There's no specific Exo-Force thread going, so I'll put these here. (Feel free to move them if need be JT.)

The other day was new magazine day, and the new "Figure-Oh" (Japanese toy mag) has a really big spread on Exo-Force stuff. I've scanned it and here it is...

(We've bought one of the smaller sets so far BTW, and think it's great.)

plasticfetish
01-31-2006, 05:07 AM
If you guys want a larger scan of any of this let me know.

plasticfetish
01-31-2006, 05:11 AM
...just a few more pages.

Ji'dai
01-31-2006, 11:54 AM
There are quite a few new EXO-FORCE sets due out this year (some pics at Brickset (http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?show=new)):

7706 Hero Tank
7707 Striking Venom
7709 Sentai Headquarters
7712 Supa Nova
7713 Bridge Walker vs. White Lightning

We're also getting some new Designer sets (wow, "Mythical Creatures"), Knights Kingdom, and Technic.

JediTricks
01-31-2006, 02:42 PM
Wow, those magazine scans are interesting, especially the second and third which seem to show REAL action figures based off the Exo-Force mechs. I wonder what the deal is there, I'm guessing 1-shots for the article.

Ji'dai, I saw those scans of the new Exo-Force sets there a few weeks ago and formed opinions, the Hero Tank looks really good, the Striking Venom kinda interesting but not my speed, and the Headquarters looks downright bad IMO.

plasticfetish
01-31-2006, 03:15 PM
which seem to show REAL action figures based off the Exo-Force mechs. I wonder what the deal is there, I'm guessing 1-shots for the article.Yeah, I can't tell if it's that, or if the Exo-Force mechs are based on something else -- some already established series.

Ji'dai
02-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Along with SpongeBob, LEGO's Nickelodeon license gives them rights to produce sets based on the new anime-inspired toon Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I found a couple of pics on Brickshelf with preliminary set/box designs for this theme:

Steamboat (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1607706)
Fortress (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1607705)

This particular Brickshelf gallery (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=163956) also has pics of the new Designer/Creator sets, new trains, Batman, SpongeBob, Racers, and Bionicle.

JediTricks
02-02-2006, 08:43 PM
That Spongebob figure set looks like a lot of prefab, I think I'll need to see more of this. The other 2 sets look like they could be fun though, but if that's their final design for Spongebob and Patrick I think they're going to end up not working.

That UCS Batmobile looks kinda iffy, hopefully the final version will be significantly better, and it *must* have a canopy rather than being open.

LusiferSam
02-02-2006, 11:10 PM
That UCS Batmobile looks kinda iffy, hopefully the final version will be significantly better, and it *must* have a canopy rather than being open.
I think you're unluck on this one. Here's (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1606731) a slightly better view of the UCS Batmobile. It's most definitely will be like the Ferrari sets, no canopy or real windshield.

JediTricks
02-03-2006, 03:50 AM
GAH! Awful awful awful! And I know this sounds weird to say about LEGO, but that thing is *so* blocky, it looks like a brick with some pieces slapped on, the canopy really would have helped fight that. However, that is still the prototype, so maybe they will get the final version's act together a little better.

Ji'dai
03-17-2006, 03:57 PM
I can confirm that a new version of the ROTS Clone Turbo Tank has been released. I saw it at TRU yesterday. The light-up lightsaber Mace Windu mini-fig has been discontinued and replaced with a "normal" Windu figure without the LU feature.

LEGO has included another white Clone Trooper with the set to make up for the Windu figure change, bringing the figure count to eight. The set number and price point remain the same. The box is slightly different than the original since they removed the display window for the LU figure and changed the artwork to advertise the 8 mini-figs included.

Ji'dai
05-22-2006, 05:37 PM
The local TRU had lots of new mid-year sets on shelves today. I spotted the Batcave, Batmobile, all three Spongebob sets, two Avatar/Airbender sets, the new City airport, city bridge transport truck, Creator roadster and Mythical Creatures, and a couple of new Castle sets.

Also in store was the System Star Destroyer and Sailbarge. The Sailbarge box is tiny! I'm sure lots of parents are going to do a double-take when they see the price tag after handling this small box. I think the price-per-part ratio on the Sailbarge is pretty standard though.

LusiferSam
05-22-2006, 08:44 PM
The Sailbarge box is tiny!
Good. I tiered of Lego using over sized boxes. Frequently I find the instructions have minor damage done to them because the bags of pieces are free to slosh around too much. A smaller box helps cut down on the movement.

JediTricks
05-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Wow, cool sighting! Did you pick any of that stuff up?

msjedi
05-23-2006, 02:05 PM
I picked up Jabba's Sail Barge today at a TRU in Omaha. Now all I need is some spare time to put it together.:)

Ji'dai
05-23-2006, 04:30 PM
That was the UCS Batmobile that I spotted on Monday too, not the System one.

Good. I'm tired of Lego using over sized boxes. Frequently I find the instructions have minor damage done to them because the bags of pieces are free to slosh around too much. A smaller box helps cut down on the movement. It's a double-edged sword for LEGO. Smaller boxes cost less and take up less shelf space at the retailer (meaning more variety of product can be displayed in the same space), but consumers may feel they're not getting a good value for the price, even though a bigger box may be mostly air. If this was 1989, the Sailbarge would be in a big ol' yeller box with opening front flap covering a display window that proudly shows off the mini-figs and a few choice parts along with the cardboard compartments filled with polybagged bricks...

Wow, cool sighting! Did you pick any of that stuff up? Nah, but I got a birthday coming up so I didn't want to be too hasty on any purchases. Plus we might see a coupon or sale before too long. Toy sales typically slump during the summer so I'm thinking stores will float incentives out there soon.

I picked up Jabba's Sail Barge today at a TRU in Omaha. Now all I need is some spare time to put it together. I don't feel like building right now. Maybe once it gets too hot to do anything outdoors, I'll feel less guilty about sitting inside in the A/C and playing.

Jargo
05-23-2006, 07:31 PM
one of the jewel thieves from the spiderman sets used that exact same torso. same colours and everthing.

I really like the new airport set and the pasenger jet. but the airport plane seems a bit smaller and more display space friendly. I'd love a variant on the smaller plane in black. kinda like a private jet. maybe with a rock band set of figs. throw in a couple of press figs with camera and it's perfect.

the airport firetruck looks cool too. got that low slung suspension look. very nice.

bought an exo set. the small one with the bronze robot and the dark tan multi angle slopes. I like their look but I'm not really into the technic side and these look a bit technic. though they seem a decent price. the one illustrated above might be worth getting. looks to have some nice pieces.

there's actually more lego recently that i like than there has ben in a long while. discounting star wars lego which i really don't like. just never taken to it. possibly due to the inflated price.

should have an SSG lego building group. set a challenge and then post the results in pictorial form.

LusiferSam
05-23-2006, 09:30 PM
should have an SSG lego building group. set a challenge and then post the results in pictorial form.
That would be cool. I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

mtriv73
06-08-2006, 02:36 PM
I saw the new star destroyer for the first time at Toys R us in Frederick, MD today. Of course, for all I know it's been out for months and I just haven't run across it.

JediTricks
06-08-2006, 04:45 PM
I saw both sets finally at my local TRU, the Sail Barges were still in the case, but the ISDs were on the shelves. I didn't think the Sail Barge box looked too small, seemed pretty normal for a $75 set, I wanted to get it right then and there but didn't have the dough.

Ji'dai
06-14-2006, 05:58 PM
Who said the Sailbarge box was small ;)

The Sailbarge box is much smaller than the Turbo Tank box though; both sets having comparable piece counts. 'Course, the Tank's massive wheels are the culprits that take up all that box space :D

JediTricks
06-14-2006, 07:39 PM
That and it was the flagship set in the ROTS opening line (foolish mistake).

Ji'dai
07-01-2006, 12:53 PM
I received an email from LEGO advertising "75 New Sets" but their site seems to be down. Highlights from the e-mail:

The Shop@Home exclusive 10174 UCS Imperial AT-ST is now available for order.

The battery-operated R/C train should be available, which is geared for younger builders. (The 9V train system is still in production, though almost exclusively sold online).

And it looks like a new LEGO LEGENDS is due out in August: 10176 King's Castle. It looks familiar, but I don't think it's a straight re-release of a classic set.

LusiferSam
07-01-2006, 01:50 PM
The new S@H catalog also just arrived. It has less stuff the e-mail, but a lot of new set none the less.

And it looks like a new LEGO LEGENDS is due out in August: 10176 King's Castle. It looks familiar, but I don't think it's a straight re-release of a classic set.
You're right it's not. Lego claims it's an update of 1995's Royal Knight's Castle (6090) (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6090). It's closer to an update of the 2000 set King Leo's Castle (6098) (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6098). But even then it's not quite the same. I don't know why they don't just call it a new set and be done with it.

Overall I kind of like this set. It like looks better than 6098 (has more figures for one thing). Maybe not as good as 6090 or 6080 (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6080) (which it's named after), but not bad given the resend years. I might get this set a long with the new KK2 sets, those have improved.

JediTricks
07-01-2006, 02:59 PM
I saw the Spongebob sets and the UCS Batmobile and Batcave. The UCS Batmobile doesn't do it for me at all, I don't like the design there. The Batcave looks more fun than I expected, but I highly doubt I'll buy it.

Ji'dai
07-10-2006, 01:38 PM
I spotted the EXO-FORCE sets Mobile Defense Tank (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7706) and Sentai Fortress (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7709) at TRU today. They also had some new Knights Kingdom action figures. Many of these figures come in a tall, cylindrical collector tin.

JediTricks
07-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Oh man, I'm so getting that Tank next time I hit TRU!

Ji'dai
07-10-2006, 08:59 PM
I finally got my Summer Shop@Home catalog today and noticed a Batman set I hadn't seen before. When I first saw it, I thought it was a new Harry Potter set. Must be the gothic architecture of Arkham Asylum (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=7785&cn=244&d=7&t=3) that did it. I got to have a Scarecrow mini-fig :Par:

Too bad it's $80.

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 03:29 PM
I had seen pics before, didn't realize it was out now already though. They're pushing this stuff too fast, how many $80 sets does LEGO expect Batman fans to buy all at once?

That 3rd pic with the Arkham techs with the saw standing over the Riddler seems surprisingly gruesome. :D

Ji'dai
07-14-2006, 02:23 PM
I noticed that my TRU had the new Mindstorms NXT (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8527) on the shelf today. At a staggering two-hundred fifty dollars, it's gotta be the most expensive LEGO set I've seen at retail since... well, RIS 2.0.

I think LuciferSam said he got the NXT in another thread, so maybe he can answer this: is the NXT "brick" solely battery-powered or can it be used with an AC adapter?

LusiferSam
07-14-2006, 07:03 PM
I think LuciferSam said he got the NXT in another thread, so maybe he can answer this: is the NXT "brick" solely battery-powered or can it be used with an AC adapter?
You're right I did say that I got this set. The NXT, unlike the old RCX, it only runs on battery power, 6 AA. There's no AC adapter on it. It does have an USB port and built in Bluetooth. Also the motors and sensors are totally incompatible with any of the old systems. They connect with phone line looking wires rather than wired bricks. What little I've been able to play with it I've like much better.

Ji'dai
07-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks, I was wondering about that. Too bad it's not backwards compatible with the previous sets.

I suppose wireless (as in no power cord) robotic creations look better. I wonder how long the NXT will run on battery power, though Bluetooth technology should help conserve the batteries.

Jangu Fett
07-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Has anyone heard of this Exo-Force special edition set? It's called Bridge Walker vs. White Lightning.

Front- http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/shadow/Shakar/LegoOther/bwvwl.jpg

Back- http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/shadow/Shakar/LegoOther/bwvwl2.jpg

Just Wondering if it's a exclusive or something.

Ji'dai
07-16-2006, 08:38 AM
From what I've read, that EXO-FORCE set hasn't been released yet. It could be another TRU exclusive, as in the case of 7712 Supernova, or maybe a LEGO Shop@Home one.

JediTricks
07-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Man, those are BIIIIIIG photos!

I've not heard of this, it's piece count puts it in the $50-$70 territory, yet the set itself doesn't look large enough to warrant either pricetag so I'm betting it'll be $40 and maybe even a store exclusive.

The enemy mech looks pretty cool actually, something different from the ones currently out. The box front picture has nothing on the box back one of it though.

I still haven't found the orange tank set yet.

Jangu Fett
07-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Yeah those are big pics.

I was never really into the Exo-Force line. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great line. Mechs like that were never really my thing, but I do like Transformers, and Macross. Go figure. I guess, I just don't like the whole giant robot thing. Unless they transform. But the Mobile Defense Tank, Sentai Fortress, Striking Venom, Gate Defense sets are awesome. And that Bridge Walker?? It's a AT-ST on steroids. I love them:love: . I do plan on getting these sets, all but the Fortress. Unless I find it on clearance down the road. And I'll most likely just keep the White Lightning mech as it alternate gunship model.

JediTricks
07-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Finally my local TRU got in new LEGO sets, I even saw Bionicle's Axonn whom I've been waiting for for a while, but with limited funs I passed temporarily so I could get 2 totally new sets:

LEGO Bionicle Toa Inika Nuparu - the latest Toa figs, $10, crazy bigger complex container, light-up sword/weapon, marble-shooter with 4-ball magazine, no gear or motion gimmicks at all this time, just a figure with weapons. This is the black figure, he's got claws on his hands where the others don't, so he's a winner just from that. His weapon is swordly but really it's a gun too, even has a smaller lightsaber blade in it, LED color is red and the batteries ARE replaceable. Nuparu is the only one in the line whose launcher is shoulder-mounted rather than a handgun, the magazine is good but the top ball is easy to fall out. Arms are super long, torso is nice and solid though, not gappy. Articulation is standard Bionicle, neck is ball-jointed, the mask is cool (the only in the line that really looks good to me) but there's no actual head behind it, just a hollow facade, that's not right. All in all, he's decent, feels a little overpriced, but not too bad. Grade: B+

LEGO Exo-Force Mobile Defense Tank - I've wanted this one since I saw the first pics. It's a $30 set, 355 pieces, has a micro-disc-launcher and an LED brick, and 2 minifigs (both have crazy Exo-Force wigs and multiple faces on the head). The build is a large, orange, 4-treaded, articulated battle tank with tons of weaponry, the build is a bit dependent on large curved pieces and technic action, but the final vehicle is worth it with 2 sets of treads that can lay flat or articulate all the way to full vertical - with the large weapon pods on either side of the cockpit looking like hands, standing mode has a "mech" feel to it, very cool! The rear set of treads has a long exhaust pipe on either side with flame pieces at the top. The cockpit is simple but well-armored and has 2 sets of blasters at the nose, the driver seems pretty safe in there. However behind and above the cockpit is an articulated gun with a gunner at the top totally unprotected, the gun is a large 6-barrelled main cannon, on the right side is a micro-disc-launcher that can hold the 10 micro-discs (though the loaded one isn't held in place by anything and can slide right out the front if tipped down), and on the left side is the LED brick with a lightsaber blade (is it a sight, or a weapon? you decide). The disc launcher doesn't do it for me, and I'm considering taking it off and centering the cannon on the ball-jointed articulation brick, this will raise it up a little and give it more clearance, which it could use. The weapon pods are cool but are on ball-jointed articulation bricks which barely hold them in place, they have a decent range of motion and look cool. The vehicle's major flaws come from the treads needing to soften up a bit so it can roll cleaner, and a lot of stickers that help offset the otherwise overly-orange look of the tank, 2 of the stickers actually cover multiple bricks! All in all, this is a very nifty set, I'll be enjoying it for a while, the design is something unique and fun; Grade: A-

seanmcfripp
07-28-2006, 07:45 PM
I found Arkham Asylum at TRU this week. LEGO always kills my wallet in late January and late July with releasing everything at once. I have Bionicle, Exo Force, Star Wars, and Batman sets to catch up on for the last few weeks.

Ji'dai
07-29-2006, 05:30 PM
I haven't seen Arkham in stores yet. I did see the Racers 8681 Tuner Garage, for the Tiny Turbo cars that come in those little black plastic cases.

I also noticed the Sail Barge and the System ISD at a Super Wal-Mart today, which means you can take advantage of layaway.

EDIT: Sorry fellas, I meant to say the Sail Barge rather than the Sandcrawler. The Sandcrawler is only available from Shop@Home.

Jangu Fett
07-29-2006, 06:29 PM
I have never once seen the Sandcrawler anywhere, except online. I wish I could find one at WM. I definitely would put that on layaway. Now if only the local WMs would get the ISD and Sail Barge.

The only true new set they had today was a Bionicle set that, was not in the latest SaHC. I forget what it was called, but it had a spider-like walker and a tower like half the Lava Gate set. Right now I'm waiting for the Piraka Stronghold. And what ever other SW sets that will be released September.

I've seen the "new" X-Wing Lego is releasing, but honestly 3 X-Wing sets. I can see if they again changed the design. But it's that same as the last one. Just a couple color brick changes and instead of Yoda's Hut we get 6 figures. And its, if rumors are correct $10 more then the last X-Wing. I'll pass. I'm hoping, like MANY others that we see some Hoth sets. A Echo Base set just like the Batman Batcave set, drool, drool. Maybe it could have a mini Snowspeeder, like the Penuin's Sub.

BTW Ji'dai, love the avatar.

Slicker
07-29-2006, 06:31 PM
I have never once seen the Sandcrawler anywhere, except online. I wish I could find one at WM. I definitely would put that on layaway. Now if only the local WMs would get the ISD and Sail Barge.
You may want to try your local Target for the ISD and Sail Barge. I just saw them for the first time at Target today. The prices were $100 and $75 respectively.

Jangu Fett
07-29-2006, 07:01 PM
The ISD and Sail Barge are at local Targets, TRU, and I think I even seen a KB with the ISD. But the WMs around here.?.:confused: And to be honest I have not thought about the layaway option, till Ji'dai said it earlier.:thumbsup:

Ji'dai
07-30-2006, 07:32 AM
I have never once seen the Sandcrawler anywhere, except online. I wish I could find one at WM. I definitely would put that on layaway. Now if only the local WMs would get the ISD and Sail Barge. I edited my post above, so just to reiterate, I meant to say the Sail Barge, not the Sandcrawler. I've been getting those two mixed up since the Sail Barge was first announced, dunno why. :cross-eye

DarthQuack
08-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Saw the Sail Barge and ISD today for the first time at my Target, and I gotta say I'm a little impressed with the Star Destroyer, it looks awesome.

Ji'dai
08-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Does Target have layaway?

I did see Arkham Asylum at TRU Friday. The box is the same size as the Sail Barge's. I still say the Arkham facades could be integrated into the Harry Potter theme; the Asylum would look good as part of a Diagon Alley set-up, or even St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries.

DarthQuack
08-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Nah, we don't have layaway, I wish we did or I'd scoop them right up.

Jangu Fett
08-05-2006, 05:19 PM
It sucks, that only WM, does layaway. Target and TRU always seems to be the first with new items. Around my area anyway. I have seen the newer lego set around for a couple of months, but the local WM don't have them.

I wish I'd remembered that Wm does layaways last year, I would have been able to get the updated Falcon for $50.:cry: I was hoping for lego to re-release it in September with the classic trilogy on DVD. But now seeing that the "new" X-Wing has the Hoth versions of Han and Leia, I doubt thats going to happen.:sad:

Ji'dai
08-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Never say never when it comes to re-releasing toys these days. LEGO may repackage the ESB Falcon and release it again. I don't sweat missing out on an action figure or two either since Hasbro just loves to repack the damn things.

I stopped buying older, out-of-production sets when LEGO began re-releasing some of them in the LEGENDS line. Bad thing was I spent mucho dinero for many sets that I figured would never be produced again.

Ji'dai
08-10-2006, 01:21 PM
LEGO Shop@Home (http://shop.lego.com/Default.asp?CMP=EMC-TH1680814598&HQS=html_freeship) is currently offering free shipping on $75 orders through August 15.

They have some new items I haven't seen before, such as the Boeing 787 Dreamliner (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=10177&cn=58&d=14&t=7), a new Sculpture, and a rechargeable battery (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=9798&cn=58&t=7&d=14) for the NXT. Check out the mini-fig magnets too - there's a Batman (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=M780) set listed. These figs have magnetic torsos and adhere fairly well to metal surfaces. They also have a Battle of Endor Collection (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=K6211&cn=4&d=5&t=3) that includes the System ISD, A-Wing, B-Wing, and TIE Interceptor.

figrin bran
08-10-2006, 08:43 PM
check your local WM's as some sets might be on clearance. i picked up Slave 1 the other day for $40. i probably should've stashed and waited for even more savings but it's a rather large box to hide.

Jangu Fett
08-11-2006, 08:21 AM
New, UCS ship listed. And reported on RS. Vader's TIE Advanced. He's a pic-http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2006/ucs_10175_tieadvanced_boxedfromtarget.jpg

Please let Lego do a USC Slave-1 for next year.

JediTricks
08-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Yeah, they got that from the Target site and enlarged it. I think the set looks really weak m'self, the open grate plates on the wings bug me a lot.

LusiferSam
08-13-2006, 11:28 AM
They have some new items I haven't seen before, such as the Boeing 787 Dreamliner (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=10177&cn=58&d=14&t=7), a new Sculpture, and a rechargeable battery (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=9798&cn=58&t=7&d=14) for the NXT. Check out the mini-fig magnets too - there's a Batman (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=M780) set listed. These figs have magnetic torsos and adhere fairly well to metal surfaces. They also have a Battle of Endor Collection (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=K6211&cn=4&d=5&t=3) that includes the System ISD, A-Wing, B-Wing, and TIE Interceptor.

I hadn't seen that rechargeable battery for the NXT. Too bad it's like $50. That's pretty high for one battery. But then again laptop batteries are in that price range. I also hadn't seen that Boeing 787 either. It's kind of cool. But I won't buy it, as I don't need large dust cacher.

Jangu Fett
08-13-2006, 11:52 AM
I think that the new UCS Vader's TIE looks great. I quess, I'm in the minority on that opinion. Actually I think the UCS Snowspeeder looks best, with Vader's TIE a close second. I would have liked the wing panels a solid piece instead of that mesh, but this still looks to be a great set.

I really hope to see UCS sets for Jango's or Boba's Slave-1, Jedi Fighter ( AOTC or ROTS ) and Grevious's Starfighter. And of course the Millennium Falcon, but that might end up being more then the UCS Star Destroyer.

Ji'dai
08-15-2006, 11:32 AM
I hadn't seen that rechargeable battery for the NXT. Too bad it's like $50. That's pretty high for one battery. But then again laptop batteries are in that price range. I also hadn't seen that Boeing 787 either. It's kind of cool. But I won't buy it, as I don't need large dust cacher. You also need a transformer to recharge the battery, which is sold separately.

Ji'dai
08-31-2006, 11:11 AM
I spotted a few new Star Wars & Viking sets at the local TRU today -

UCS AT-ST $89.99 - Supposedly a LEGO Shop@Home exclusive, this one is packaged in the same sized box as the Sail Barge. My TRU's price is $10 higher than LEGO Shop@Home.

6212 X-Wing Fighter $49.99 - Re-release of 2003's 4502 Dagobah X-Wing with a few extras as reported in JT's thread (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=32308). The box is the same size as 6209 Slave I.

7020 Army of Vikings with Heavy Artillery Wagon $30.99 - I counted seven Norsemen in this set, but whether that constitutes an "army" is open for debate.

7021 Viking Double Catapult versus the Armored Ofnir Dragon $40.99

I also noticed that LEGO Shop@Home has the UCS Vader’s TIE Advanced (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=10175&cn=8&d=5&t=3) up for pre-order, due to ship September 1!

JediTricks
08-31-2006, 08:45 PM
I saw that UCS AT-ST, looks good but something's off and I can't put my finger on what exactly. Still, I like how they got some of that stuff done, especially the top hatch.

I got 3 '06 SW sets for my birthday:
LEGO B-wing (built Saturday)
LEGO Boba's Slave I (built Monday)
LEGO Jabba's Sail Barge (built today)
I'll comment on them soon, currently a little busier than I expected.

Ji'dai
09-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Where did you see the UCS AT-ST, TRU or a LEGO Store?

Let us know what you think about the Sail Barge. It's definitely high on my list of sets to buy.

JediTricks
09-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Saw it at TRU on the new LEGO endcap (not to be confused with the old endcap which they're also using).

LEGO B-wing - decent set, good build marred only by a "same as last time" cockpit, but fun and far superior to original. Landing scaffold is nifty but becomes very fragile when you pull the halves apart.

LEGO Boba's Slave I - unusual build but nice finished vehicle, lots of gimmicks, very solid, could use more green tho'. Very little post-instructions rebuilding to do unlike the set it's based on (Jango's Slave I which is a good set but fragile and gappy in a few places and has no door on the main hatch), all it really needs is to fill in the small gap under the cockpit, remove the oversized missile launcher (replace this area with a bunk a la Incredible Cross-Sections version!) and enjoy.

LEGO Jabba's Sail Barge - long build, I did the smaller stuff first even though it came last; sail barge build feels totally lost for the first few steps but then kicks into high gear, some ideas I had never seen before like the upside-down boat hulls for the front of the barge, finished product is a mix of "plates on frame" and classic brick, some folks don't like it but I do. Skiff is nifty new design, Sarlacc mouth is funny but would actually look pretty decent with a second row of teeth, barge has nearly everything I could want except it needs way more denizens. Lots of play area and access to play areas, the barge is pretty big as LEGO (longer and taller than the Falcon set) and then gets even bigger as the positionable sails on top are taken into account, the sides of the barge are plates that are meant to fold down but overall it's pretty solid, and to me quite satisfying. Nearly everything is brown, in the movie it was kind of a rusty gray/green but the brown somehow works, I'd guess I'd say this set gets away with a lot even when it shouldn't. ;)

This morning, I woke up and realized the barge set needs more guys, so I grabbed the EV-9D9 and Gonk droid from my Jabba's Palace set (god does that overall set suck) and the Gamorrean from the Jabba's Prize set (this guard has a different axe and different-colored arms from the Sail Barge fig), Chewie from the AT-ST set, and 3PO from the Escape Pod set and put all those figures on the barge (except for Chewie, whom I put on the skiff on a step up above Han so he'll look taller), the set feels ripped from the movie now even though it's still missing all the other crazy aliens, I have the barge and skiff in a place of honor on my entertainment center and it really impresses me every time.

Ji'dai
10-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the Sail Barge review, it's definitely at the top of my to-buy list.

I got an e-flyer from LEGO and found some interesting things over on their site. They've got a new carry case (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=EL709&cn=158&t=7&d=21) to store bricks. It's coated cardboard, so I'll probably just stick with the plastic totes I usually buy. Also spotted a chef's apron and coasters (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=EL571) set so you won't have to worry about setting your treasured instructions in that puddle of water from your glass. Speaking of which, you can chill those drinks by adding a few brick-shaped ice cubes from this ice cube tray (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=EL502&cn=158&t=7&d=21). And what kid's bedroom bar would be complete without a brick corkscrew (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=EL715) and bottle opener? Or spice up your table with these salt & pepper shakers (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=EL792) in the shape of mini-fig heads.

I thought this DINO ATTACK parachutist (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=EL136&cn=158&t=7&d=21) was pretty nifty too, I may have to get one. The figure is permanently attached to the shute though.

plasticfetish
10-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Or spice up your table with these salt & pepper shakers (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=EL792) in the shape of mini-fig heads.Saw those at the LEGO store the other day, they're pretty cool. There's also a nice egg timer in the shape of a head.

LusiferSam
10-03-2006, 05:12 PM
I thought this DINO ATTACK parachutist (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=EL136&cn=158&t=7&d=21) was pretty nifty too, I may have to get one. The figure is permanently attached to the shute though.

Darn it! I thought the parachute guy was pretty cool too and was thinking I'd buy one or two. I had assumed (incorrectly) that the mini-figure was removable. Now I'm not so sure. There is no reason for the parachute to attach to the head, like the keyrings. A back pack piece that the parachute is attached to which fits on over the neck stub would work just as well and be more legoish.

JediTricks
10-04-2006, 02:28 PM
That LEGO icecube tray is funny as hell, I will have to get that next time I'm at the LEGO store!

That Parachuter is funny, but those mesh chutes don't work too well in my experience, I had a spider-man figure come with one of those and the mesh keeps the chute from filling. I'm not surprised they didn't want it to be removable, it's likely a safety concern. They should do a parachuting Darth Vader and put the Imperial logo on the chute. :D

Ji'dai
10-17-2006, 04:24 PM
That Parachuter is funny, but those mesh chutes don't work too well in my experience, I had a spider-man figure come with one of those and the mesh keeps the chute from filling. Really? That's too bad. I thought the mesh was a good idea. The parachuting figures I had in the past had cheap plastic chutes and string guide "wires" that always got tangled and were a bear to reset for the next jump.

They should do a parachuting Darth Vader and put the Imperial logo on the chute. :D It wouldn't surprise me in the least. I'm sure we'll see more of these guys in the future, probably with different color schemes and themes.

JediTricks
10-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Really? That's too bad. I thought the mesh was a good idea. The parachuting figures I had in the past had cheap plastic chutes and string guide "wires" that always got tangled and were a bear to reset for the next jump. Yeah, I know what you mean, I saw the design and thought it was brilliant... till I tried it. Maybe it just needs more falling height to fill, I was only able to get it to fall from about 7 or 8 feet.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least. I'm sure we'll see more of these guys in the future, probably with different color schemes and themes.I'll be honest, I don't think this thing will sell at all.

figrin bran
10-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Lego ice trays and coasters? i'll definitely look for them at the local lego store.

i bought the X-Wing exclusive TRU set recently but haven't put it together yet.

Ji'dai
10-19-2006, 01:55 PM
I got my shop@home catalog yesterday and spotted what's got to be the first official LEGO toilet. Yep, I'm afraid the 7905 Building Crane (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=7905) comes with a port-a-potty. So do these mini-figs **** bricks or what? :D

There's also some board games played with mini-figs: checkers, dominos, tic-tac-toe, and a Viking's Chess set, which might make a good army builder if it wasn't $50.

Slicker
10-19-2006, 03:27 PM
That new crane set is pretty friggin' sweet. The sad part is that it's one of the very, very few sets of the past years that I've actually liked.

JediTricks
10-19-2006, 04:21 PM
I got my shop@home catalog yesterday and spotted what's got to be the first official LEGO toilet. Yep, I'm afraid the 7905 Building Crane (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=7905) comes with a port-a-potty. So do these mini-figs **** bricks or what? :DHaw! I saw that set at the store last week and didn't notice the port-a-potty, I wish I had seen it, would have made my day.

Ji'dai
11-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Looks like LEGO has introduced a new theme: Aqua Raiders (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Leaf.aspx?cn=468&d=70). These new sets remind me of a combination of the old Aquazone and Creator/Designer animal/creature sets. Unfortunately they don't really do anything for me. I like oceanography and water themes, but I'd prefer to see something akin to the Divers (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/system/town/divers) stuff that came out in the late 90s.

JediTricks
11-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Aqua Raiders isn't quite there, but I'm a sucker for submarines so I'll probably buy at least 1 set.

I have the Deep Reef Refuge from the Divers set, I got it from S@H as a daily special, great set, very complete. I miss LEGO sets like this.

LusiferSam
11-15-2006, 08:21 PM
I've never really been into Town type sets, so won't get any of these. But I think the Deep Sea Treasure Hunter (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=7770&cn=468&d=70) and Tiger Shark Attack (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=7773&cn=468&d=70) could both fit in with a divers theme. The others look more Aquazone (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/system/aquazone) to me. By the way Aquaraiders was a subtheme of Aquazone already.

Ji'dai
11-16-2006, 04:16 PM
I spotted the complete Aqua Raiders line-up at the local TRU today. The boxes sport 2007 copyrights, so the other new year releases, including Star Wars, can't be far behind!

Other '07 sets I saw today include Bionicle figures, a Technic snow mobile, a Racers semi-trailer with 2 cars, and the build-a-picture Mosaic sets.

JediTricks
11-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Sweet! Now all I have to do is come up with an excuse for why I bought myself Lego instead of christmas presents for the family. ;) I want that Technic Snowmobile, I can feel it.

Ji'dai
11-23-2006, 08:55 AM
I'm sure they'll understand, JT. Just invite 'em over to help build :D

I found some more '07 sets this week at TRU:

Creator set with three yellow vehicles that might pass for System scale.

Town/City fire truck with small trailer.

Exo-Force - '07 boxes sport a modest faux-foil artwork; the cover flap on the $15 mechs is gone. A new medium-sized range of mechs ($8 each) joins the original line of small $5 and large $15 mechs. I saw at least two new $15 mechs as well as new $5 ones too.

JediTricks
11-25-2006, 07:58 PM
I saw the Snowmobile (I keep wanting to type "Snowspeeder" :p) at TRU yesterday and was impressed, VERY tempting, I would have bought it right there but they had a new Transformers set I wanted just a little more. Now I've stuck the Snowmobile on my xmas list and I'm regretting it, I want it now!!! :D

They also had some of the Aqua Raiders sets, boxes did not entice me, their photos/art is still not doing them any dang favors.

JediTricks
12-12-2006, 07:51 PM
5 months later, I finally picked up Axonn. Target had him on sale, $2 off, so I figured why not:

LEGO Bionicle Axonn - I don't think I've ever seen a numbered-bag build for a $20 LEGO set before, this is a first, and in hindsight I should have just dumped all the parts at once. I've been eyeing this figure all year, that big axe really impressed me and his neo-knight armor looked great. All built, he's not that much bigger than a regular Bionicle but he's beefed up in the limbs, has huge hands and feet, individual fingers, and has a nifty gimmick with the ankle pistons. The head isn't quite as impressive as I'd hoped, the eyes aren't close enough to the mask and in normal light they're a dull yellow, under flashlight they finally burst a sweet yellow-green but too much work. The axe is awesome and as tall as he is, the way it plugs into the hands makes it work great, and it can also be plugged onto his back. The chest armor gets in the way of a few poses, but the real limitations are the ball joints which are just too weak to hold the arms up, even the new joint cups for the hips with rubber lining don't do much to help the legs. Overall, his look is pretty nifty and he can strike some great poses, the weak joints and the fact that he's not way bigger do lower the score some, but the giant axe really steals the show. Grade: B