PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday 2005

Kidhuman
11-25-2005, 01:11 PM
I didnt get much stuff today for myself, some stuff for the kids, coats and clothing for them. I did however pick up BF2 thanks to a Kmart misprint in their ad for 12.99. They were sold out when I got there, but WM price matched it for me.

TheDarthVader
11-25-2005, 03:57 PM
What the heck is BF2? Is that a movie?

I saw the hot wheels guy show up at toys r us at 6:00 am when I was there. He did the "boot scoot boogie" to the back to find no hot wheels! Ha! Too bad for him! His boogie happens when he ducks down and runs and doesn't lift his boots too high. He just scoots lazily! It was hilarious today. And it wasn't the first time I have seen him around.

B.
TDV

Ji'dai
11-25-2005, 04:50 PM
What the heck is BF2? Is that a movie? Probably Battlefront 2.

I sat at home for the second year in a row. No desire to mingle in the traffic and shopper congestion today.

El Chuxter
11-25-2005, 05:18 PM
The crowds were nonexistent, since the sales sucked! I went out since I'd promised Mrs Chuxter a sewing machine that was on sale at Costco, and we stopped by some other places. I picked up X-Men Legends and Midway Museum (the one with MK2 and MK3. . . let the Animalities commence!!) for $15 each at Gamestop, and some of the cheap Target DVDs (Robots, Shark Tale, Kingdom of Heaven, and The Longest Yard; would've gotten Diary of a Mad Black Woman, too, but it was only in foolscreen).

Stopped by several places who had specials advertised for the Gameboy Advanced, but they all sold out within minutes, and I wasn't about to get up before a reasonable time.

Lazer Brain
11-25-2005, 06:19 PM
well, it wasa mad house at my local walmart, NO one knew where they had the lightsabers at, and by the tine i found them they all but gone, i picked up 2 of the generic jedi sabers. but target pull thru again! they had the ultimate jedi saber kit for 22$ so i did finally get one of those, now i can't wait for christmas. wish i copuld have scored a BF2 for 12 , that would have been way cool.
later

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-25-2005, 06:34 PM
I got a bit of a different perspective as I worked today, 4:30 am- 1:30 pm in the ole' electronics department @my wal-mart. it was hell. When i got there, there were a few hundred folks in line for a slew of things, including: the cheap GBA, a few cheaper TV's, DVD/VCR combo, a few PC's and they were sold out within 30 minutes or so. The GBA's lasted an hour or two, but they eventaully sold. What cracks me up the most is how people who come in at 11 am are so irritated that we sold out of the 'ONE TIME ONLY, QUANTITIES LIMITED" items that went onsale at 5 am. Schmucks. But it was a zoo for the early morning hours, unable to move up and down aisles, but it cleared up for a bit and got busy as i was leaving at 1:30. I think by the time i left, we had hit nearly 200K for electronics alone. I'm pooped. :crazed:

JAXXON
11-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Didn't anyone get the LEGO Falcon? Best deal of the year ($49.99 at Target)!Yeeh-haw!

JetsAndHeels
11-25-2005, 10:34 PM
I worked today. It sucked.
I don't want to leave my house anymore.

Kidhuman
11-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Didn't anyone get the LEGO Falcon? Best deal of the year ($49.99 at Target)!Yeeh-haw!

I got mine last year when WM clearanced the mfor 25 bucks, so this wasnt a deal.

And yes BF2 is battlefront 2

InsaneJediGirl
11-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Didnt go anywhere because there wasnt anything good on sale worth killing yourself over.

JimJamBonds
11-25-2005, 11:34 PM
I avoided malls and other places where I knew there would be a ton of people: Best Buy and TRU. I went to Gander Mtn. and the only reason I did that was I saw in their flyer they had camo winter jackets on sale so I picked one of those up (for turkey hunting) and I also went to another sporting goods place (Sportsman's Warehouse) where I looked at camping gear.

Slicker
11-26-2005, 12:28 AM
I like the dumba$$ that I am went out to get a new cell phone kinda forgetting that it was Black Friday and literally drove around looking for a spot for about 30 minutes then just gave up.

I also forgot how much people suck. It seems that when Black Friday comes around people:

1. Get more impatient
2. Lose all courteousness
3. Can't see arrows on the ground that direct the flow of traffic in the parking lots and drive against them.

I also must have been blind for the entire year because I never saw those parking spots that are directly in front of the main entrance.:rolleyes:

I'm usually a nice driver and I let people in if necessary but today I just said F it all and didn't care. If people wanna be d*cks then I can be one too.

JAXXON
11-26-2005, 10:48 AM
[quote=kidhuman]I got mine last year when WM clearanced the mfor 25 bucks, so this wasnt a deal.

$25 is an awesome deal. Just mentioned my price in relation to this Black Friday's "bargains".

UKWildcat
11-26-2005, 10:58 AM
I only went to Target and picked up Quake 4 for $29.72.

Have you all heard about Cyber Monday? I guess Its a relatively new sale that takes place online the following Monday after BF. This year was the first I've heard about it.

Kidhuman
11-26-2005, 10:23 PM
I got mine last year when WM clearanced the mfor 25 bucks, so this wasnt a deal.

$25 is an awesome deal. Just mentioned my price in relation to this Black Friday's "bargains".

It is a great deal and I would have jumped on it if I didnt get one already. I should have stated to me it wasnt that great of a deal.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-26-2005, 10:29 PM
I did however pick up BF2 thanks to a Kmart misprint in their ad for 12.99. They were sold out when I got there, but WM price matched it for me.

I saw that and wondered if it was supposed to be BF1 because the other VGs in that section were older. Didn't try to wrangle it from WM due to being busy with other things.

I ended up going to Best Buy cause they had some biatching good DVD deals and an inexpensive MP3 player for about $30. Got there about 3:30 with the wife. My bro-in-law got there at 2, but he was still 150 people from the front. People camped out starting 10 the day before. They had some deals on laptops and a $500 computer projector, but those went to the first 20-30 people in line. The employees were really nice and the gave out first-come first-served vouchers for limited expensive items. Then they had really good free Starbucks hot chocolate and formed a human chain to keep the line jumpers out.

I ended up with 24 S1&3 and Seinfeld S1/2 for $20 each, Arrested Development S2 for $15, Minority Report 2disc for $4, the MP3 player, a wireless G router, $10 wireless XBox controller, Lego SW on XBox for $20, some KMart BOGO ROTS figures ($3.50 each), and a bunch of other stuff.

It was a really good day and I got home with all 10 fingers and 10 toes intact.

sith_killer_99
11-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Well, I skipped Black Friday this year...again.

I got all hyped up for it a few years back and camped out in front of TRU. I waited for hours and hours hoping to find the illusive CommTech Stormtroopers. I was not rewarded for my effort. Then, right after New Years, I walked into the same TRU and found 2 kids pools FILLED with the entire wave on sale 2 for $3.00. I bought several CT Stormies that day.:D

Needless to say my enthusiasim for BF has shot after that whole experience.

This year I almost went to Staples, they had a 200GB hard drive on sale for $30.00, after $40.00 online rebate (sorta like a mail-in rebate). Anyway, I didn't go because I figured they would be sold out in about 2 seconds. I was right, my brother-in-law hit them as soon as they opened and they were sold out by the time he made it to the shelf.:rolleyes:

I did go out on Saturday (yesterday) and hit a Target just before opening. There were 15 people there a 1/2 hour before opening, maybe 35 of us as they opened. I was just there to hit the SW section. Everyone else seemed intent on Electronics. I was the only guy hitting the SW asile and I found the final 5 wave just sitting there pretty as a picture. I found every last figure I needed, including the corrected #68 Wookie.;)

bobafrett
11-27-2005, 06:30 PM
I got a bit of a different perspective as I worked today, 4:30 am- 1:30 pm in the ole' electronics department @my wal-mart. it was hell. When i got there, there were a few hundred folks in line for a slew of things, including: the cheap GBA, a few cheaper TV's, DVD/VCR combo, a few PC's and they were sold out within 30 minutes or so. The GBA's lasted an hour or two, but they eventaully sold. What cracks me up the most is how people who come in at 11 am are so irritated that we sold out of the 'ONE TIME ONLY, QUANTITIES LIMITED" items that went onsale at 5 am. Schmucks. But it was a zoo for the early morning hours, unable to move up and down aisles, but it cleared up for a bit and got busy as i was leaving at 1:30. I think by the time i left, we had hit nearly 200K for electronics alone. I'm pooped. :crazed:

Like the mighty JMG, I too worked at my Wal-Mart store Black Friday. Saw the Lightsabers they had on sale, chose not to buy one. I got the joy of standing up front watching the customers getting crushed into the doors my the crowds while 5 police officers stood inside. We had one lady get punched in the face, another suffered an ahsma (sp?) attack, one lady at the front who was holding her coffeee had her arm knocked up over her head, which caused her coffee to spray on to the patrons behind her. It was insane. People buying $100 TV sets (which by the way, we still have over 12 pallets of with at least 12 sets on each pallet). After the initial surge of shoppers came in, I got to stand at the exit doors and check reciepts, and help load customers cars (a photographer from the Chicago Tribune took a picture of me loading a TV into a customers car, didn't make the paper though). I go home by 2 in the afternoon, and was off to my other job by 4 until 10. I came home after that long day and crashed. I was even to tired to check in here.

Lazer Brain
11-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Does Anyone Know How Many Lightsaber Varyations There Were At Walmart?? I Saw The Obi Wan Saber And A Generic Jedi Blue Blade And Sith Red Blade, Were There Others???
Thanks

BoShek
12-06-2005, 10:36 PM
I wish I would thought about price matching BF2 at Wal Mart. :(

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Like the mighty JMG, I too worked at my Wal-Mart store Black Friday. Saw the Lightsabers they had on sale, chose not to buy one. I got the joy of standing up front watching the customers getting crushed into the doors my the crowds while 5 police officers stood inside. We had one lady get punched in the face, another suffered an ahsma (sp?) attack, one lady at the front who was holding her coffeee had her arm knocked up over her head, which caused her coffee to spray on to the patrons behind her. It was insane. People buying $100 TV sets (which by the way, we still have over 12 pallets of with at least 12 sets on each pallet). After the initial surge of shoppers came in, I got to stand at the exit doors and check reciepts, and help load customers cars (a photographer from the Chicago Tribune took a picture of me loading a TV into a customers car, didn't make the paper though). I go home by 2 in the afternoon, and was off to my other job by 4 until 10. I came home after that long day and crashed. I was even to tired to check in here.

Dude, freakin' TELL ME ABOUT IT!!! On our D5 trailer on the Grocery side, we have dozens upon dozens of those damned symphonic TV's! I keep those bad boys stocked religiously cos i'm tired of fighting my way past them to get to the LCD TV's and stuff on the trailer. and oh, you'll like this: some woman came in claiming she bought stuff for charity came in and grabbed an associate to help get her stuff: yeah, it was me. When i left my fellow victims, we had 6 skids of crap: 9 Compaq Presarios, about 30 things of luggage, about 40 of those cheap a-- SV200 DVD/VCR combos, blah blah. Bill was roughly 18,000.

Her check bounced.

I wasn't there when it happened as she didn't finish till well after i left at 1:30 pm (she grabbed me a bit after 5:35 am), but i heard managment was seriously PO'd. I laughed for about 20 minutes when i heard it though. Thanks to her we now have about 2 skids of crap we try to work to the floor. Oh, good times. :crazed:

bobafrett
12-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Are you saying that this lady bought about $18,000 in merchandise, and the check bounced?

Not sure how the weather was in your neck of the woods, but we were freezing, I kept my jacket on over my smock that day, so when I went to break or lunch, the customers couldn't know me from any other customer, therefore I was able to move about the store without being asked a million questions.

BTW, are they strick at your store with the 5 hour lunch punchout? We have lost several great employees, who sometimes work past the 5 hours before punching out, and they get fired because of it.