PDA

View Full Version : Clone Scalping is out of control

Scackmgack
11-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Jedi Temple Assault multipacks are going for upwards of $40.00 on Ebay, and those are the only decent 501st clones we're going to get.

I honestly would love to get into a Hasbro board meeting just once and find out what the hell they are thinking. Why don't they mass-mass-mass produce army variants like the clones to the point where scalping isn't even economical?

Don't they know we are going to purchase Shock Troopers and 501st Legion clones ad nauseum?

While I do hate the scalpers, I find myself hating Hasblow even more. How long does it take for them to figure this stuff out?

Kidhuman
11-25-2005, 10:47 PM
Clone scalping, especially clones have always been a pain in the hind quarters. People love to collect them, scalpers lurk on all boards to see what people will pay for. When they read the words "Clone Exclusive" they wet themselves. They lurk in all stores until they find them and buy them all up. It is a curse and a blessing to have so many SW collectors sites to get info out there, because as we all know, this is what happens when the plans fall into the wrong hands.

JimJamBonds
11-25-2005, 10:55 PM
Boy the 'history nerd' in me was thinking something much different when I first saw the word "scalping." :p

Punkreject
11-25-2005, 10:56 PM
I feel ya. I've gotten lucky and found what clones I needed. I found the remaining 7 or so I needed out of the final 12. Picked up two of the 501st because I wanted to make a Commander Appo. The other is staying in the package. As for the Shocktroops. I found them once and picked up two since I had already made two custom ones. I just wanted 4 since the main scene with them, they were only 4. Those Coruscant Attack boxed sets weren't hard for me to find though. The single clones have always been difficult though. If you're not at the store near the time they put out stuff, they're gone sadly. Scalpers are a pain. I miss times when it wasn't hard to find Star Wars figures. These days you have to check stores very often just to find anything new. It's annoying and sad. Anyway, good luck hunting!!!

tagmac
11-26-2005, 12:26 AM
It makes it even worse that the 501st clone is hitting stores only now, during the holiday shopping season. That means even more people to compete with for figs, including parents who might otherwise pass by it. I was extremely lucky to get the Jedi Temple Assault pack, as I've never seen it again since the day I found 2 in K-Mart (only bought one). Ditto for the Shocktrooper. And don't even get me started on the situation with the Utapau Clone next year.

Even worse, the #41 Clone is STILL shipping en masse, and has become the most surprising pegwarmer of them all - I'm seeing more of these guys out there than even the Neimoidian Warrior!!! Replace these guys in the cases with more Shocktroopers and Tactical Ops Troopers, and maybe they'd flood the market enough to curb some of the scalping. :upset:

Kidhuman
11-26-2005, 09:23 AM
Even worse, the #41 Clone is STILL shipping en masse, and has become the most surprising pegwarmer of them all - I'm seeing more of these guys out there than even the Neimoidian Warrior!!!

Isnt that the truth. I was telling El Chuxter that there are about 30 of the #41 clone on the pegs at Target here. The only good thing is when you need a fix for SW, a clone is always a good pick up when you cant find anything else.

DarkArtist
11-26-2005, 10:36 AM
:hurt: Clones are always going to popular just like stormtroopers since many people like to army build and many scalpers know that exclusives are always going to sell for more then they are worth. :upset:

The problem actually lies both with Hasbro and the retailers of the exclusives. Since they retail stores stand to lose money if the product doesn't sell, they buy less and less to cover their eventually loses and overstocks, (Walmart with dozens of Collection 1 boxes). :( :(
The second part lies with Hasbro who still continues to make exclusives that fans want but feel that will never sell. The classic problem that Hasbro doesn't listen.:hurt:
As far as the temple set with K-Mart, the problem there lies with the staff not giving a crap and returning the opened merchandise that theives buy and do the classic swap out of figures. :upset: :upset: :upset:
Also the clones in that pack are the #6, I actually prefer the carded 501st over the number 6.

Scackmgack
11-26-2005, 10:45 AM
The only problems with the Tactical Ops Trooper over the multipack 501st trooper:

1) Dirty feet
2) Helmet does not come all the way (at least in all the pics I have seen) such that you can see the clone's chin a la the Evolutions Ep III clone trooper)

Yes, the multipack 501st does have the "skinny hips" problem that clone #6 does, but the armor is white other than the coloration and you don't have the chin problem...

spang2005
11-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Turn the clone head backwards and then put the helmet on. No chin. That's what I did with the evolutions ones. It works unless it bothers you to nkow that under the helmet the head is turned around.

figrin bran
11-28-2005, 01:37 AM
Turn the clone head backwards and then put the helmet on. No chin. That's what I did with the evolutions ones. It works unless it bothers you to nkow that under the helmet the head is turned around.

yes, you can do that but the problem is that it causes a bulge in the back of the helmet.

Jango Speck
11-28-2005, 02:34 AM
Hey guys, no offense, but could we stay on topic please? When I see new posts about scalpers, I get all excited- only to find disappointment at figure reviews I've already read elsewhere.

L.A. has a whole team of infamous scalpers. However, we collectors are finding Tactical Ops Troopers at retail, so perhaps the scalping value is diminishing. I notice that on eBay, there's a lot fewer auctions than I'd expect. Maybe when Amazon.com started selling these things, the scalper market fell apart. Unfortunately, the sacred "Shocktrooper" red variant is still elusive.lol

abell748
11-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I love seeing all of the auctions for exclusives and figures now that draw no bids or only go for the minimum. I hope that is a sign that the scalper market is falling apart, it does not seem to be easy money anymore.

Mace Windex
11-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Dang! Guess I could have made some $$$. I've seen plenty of these clones (all types) in my local stores and just passed over them. If someone is desparate let me know and I'll check if they are there. of course, there is a $40 handling fee.:twisted:
JUST KIDDING! lol

tagmac
11-28-2005, 04:56 PM
I'm sure they've been available on Amazon, but I've keep missing out on them- and all I want is ONE! So far I've seen every other figure but the 501st at one Target in Jersey, but it's been all Collection 1, if anything new everywhere else. I hate to admit it, but I was very close to resorting to ebay this weekend, butI'll hold off a bit longer. I caved in for a Shocktrooper back in september, and ended up finding two at a Wal-Mart last month (granted, I've never seen them before or since, so maybe ebay wasn't such a bad idea).

Warstar
11-29-2005, 05:45 PM
The only problems with the Tactical Ops Trooper over the multipack 501st trooper:

1) Dirty feet
2) Helmet does not come all the way (at least in all the pics I have seen) such that you can see the clone's chin a la the Evolutions Ep III clone trooper)

Yes, the multipack 501st does have the "skinny hips" problem that clone #6 does, but the armor is white other than the coloration and you don't have the chin problem...

The chin problem is easily fixable. Without the helmet on, tilt the Clone Trooper's head all the way back. Next, put the bottom inside front of the Trooper helmet on the bottom of the chin. Hold the chin inside the helmet with your finger so that it's not visible and lower the helmet from front to back over the trooper's head. I have done this with both the Evolutions Troopers and the 501st, and the chins cannot be seen. It takes some practice but do it once and you'll get it :) You kinda' gotta' put the helmets on their heads like you would put the helmets on your own head (chin first then over). :lipsrseal

Back to the topic:

Scalpers are a fickle bunch here. There was a tag out for the Utapau's at my local Target but never any Troopers there. The Lava Anakin as Vader and Lava Obi-Wan's sat there and actually peg-warmed enough to go on clearance! You'd think that wouldn't happen but alas, it does sometimes.

Otherwise, I, too, saw the Jedi Temple Assault packs and passed them by, not knowing they were exclusive to K-Mart. Next thing I knew they were all gone.

Lately, I have taken to getting the Clones I need and then selling the spares on Ebay in packs to fund buying more of the Clones I need on Ebay. Sucks that and I am not getting retail back for them but I would rather get the Clone variants I want than have a gazillion of the same mold (ESP. The Deluxe Clone 3-Pack clones- these things SUCK but the Red, Blue and Green ones- and the Wal-Mart DVD Pack ones- are cool enough that I am hunting them...)

Darth Cruel
11-30-2005, 02:08 PM
I am contemplating becoming a scalper. Feedback?

Jango Speck
11-30-2005, 02:38 PM

If you are just having fun with us, please disregard the following (since I don't know you):

1) You are in SoCal, but don't post to the SoCal (L.A.) Just Found forum, so I'm assuming that you might already be a scalper.

2) Feedback? ("That's awesome, I've always wanted to prostitute myself to Target/TRU/Kmart/WalMart employees, hord the rare figures and gouge people for 4x retail on ebay- but my mom won't drive me to the stores every day at 7:55am. You're my hero!")

Again, hopefully you were just being funny.

figrin bran
11-30-2005, 04:14 PM

repeat after me but substituting in "I" for "you"

you do not want to scalp

you will go home and rethink your life

:p

Kill Solo
11-30-2005, 11:17 PM
KBToys.com has the Vader's Legion in stock @ 11:17pm central ....

http://www.kbtoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/4702005/ctid/17/INstock/Y/D/

BTW, Scalping is totally wack.

Jango Speck
11-30-2005, 11:23 PM
KBToys.com has the Vader's Legion in stock @ 11:17pm central ....

http://www.kbtoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/4702005/ctid/17/INstock/Y/D/

BTW, Scalping is totally wack.

Tipping off scalpers with rare figures at KB is also a bit whack.:lipsrseal

Darth Cruel
12-01-2005, 12:31 AM
If you are just having fun with us, please disregard the following (since I don't know you):

1) You are in SoCal, but don't post to the SoCal (L.A.) Just Found forum, so I'm assuming that you might already be a scalper.

2) Feedback? ("That's awesome, I've always wanted to prostitute myself to Target/TRU/Kmart/WalMart employees, hord the rare figures and gouge people for 4x retail on ebay- but my mom won't drive me to the stores every day at 7:55am. You're my hero!")

Again, hopefully you were just being funny.

Yes, I was being facetious. I am THE quintessential scalper hater.

Kill Solo
12-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Tipping off scalpers with rare figures at KB is also a bit whack.:lipsrseal

:rolleyes:Dude are you for real? This information is readily available to anyone with internet access. This information has been posted at many places already. I was just providing some help to some people who sounded like they were having a difficult time finding a particular figure. Sheesh, I swear some people....

Jayspawn
12-01-2005, 10:36 AM
I got tired of looking for the Blue 501st Clone, so I customized my own, and they look sweeet! So forget the actual one.

jedi master sal
12-01-2005, 01:28 PM
:rolleyes:D dude are you for real? This information is readily available to anyone with internet access. This information has been posted at many places already. I was just providing some help to some people who sounded like they were having a difficult time finding a particular figure. Sheesh, I swear some people....

Yeah, I gotta say that the info is helpful. You have to take a risk that scalpers may get it to help out your fellow collector.

I just happened to get this link from a fellow local collector at about 2am this morning and was able to take advantage of it.

So while there's the risk of scalpers getting it, there's also the potential for the item to end up in the right person's hand, namely we collectors.

Holding info like this back will only hurt the hobby as undoubtedly scalpers will be scouring the net for this stuff, while the average consumer/collector might not think to look at certain places.

-Sal

Darth Cruel
12-01-2005, 02:19 PM
The best way to combat scalpers is to not buy from them...period. Now, I know that the possibility of getting everyone to cooperate on that is nearly non-existent mainly because there are too many people that panic that they may not get a figure they want, but that is the facts. I think I will post a training segment on how to help each other out in the miscellaneous section.

Warstar
12-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Sort of on-topic...

So, riddle me this:

I paid an average of $16.00 for an Utapau Shadow Trooper and a 501st Tac Ops Clone Trooper on Ebay. I paid the guy $32 for them both. The Tac Ops Trooper I got had a paint job on the helmet that, to me, as a loose collector, wasn't too good, but I figured I'd never find one cheaper...

I just bought 2 Tac Ops from KBToys.com (how you found them with that link I'll never know- you can't search that page on their site- still, the order went through). The 2 Troopers there cost me over $9.00 a piece after shipping.

So, at this point, I am out $34.00 for 3 Tac Ops Troopers (about $11.33 a piece on average)

I plan on opening the best one I get from KB to make up for the helmet on the one I got for $16.00, then I am going to sell the loose one I have now AND the extra carded one on Ebay.

So, if I put the carded one up for sale with an opening bid of $10.99 which is about $.40 less than I paid for it) and the loose one up for, let's say, average retail of $5.99, does this make me a scalper? I'll still lose money, but then I have a Tac Ops Trooper I am happy with...

I suppose the point of this story is don't count everyone as scalpers when they sell for more than retail- sometimes there are stories like mine behind it (though, of course, I suppose my situation doesn't happen too often) :hurt:

JEDIpartner
12-01-2005, 06:16 PM
The only reason this is out-of-control is that the production of these clone variants is out-of-control. Sure, they're striking while the iron is hot but the dearth of clone troopers released this year outnumbers the Stormtrooper variants between 1978 and 2005!

Warstar
12-01-2005, 07:11 PM
The only reason this is out-of-control is that the production of these clone variants is out-of-control. Sure, they're striking while the iron is hot but the dearth of clone troopers released this year outnumbers the Stormtrooper variants between 1978 and 2005!

That's because they can- the ROTS Clone designers- both for the movie production and for the merchandising- knew what they were doing.

And Hasbro STILL has yet to release a Clone Trooper with this helmet type:

OfficialPix.com's Clone Trooper pic (http://www.officialpix.com/estore/proddetail.asp?prod=EP4%5FBTS%5F391%5FR&cat=13)

I'm just waiting for Entertainment Earth to offer an ROTS Exclusive Clone Army Builder pack- because you KNOW it's going to happen...

Still, if this truly is the last Star Wars movie with merchadising, I want ROTS Clones.

(Makes me wonder what sort of TV Show Clone/Stormtroopers we're going to get?)

And the scalpers, as they were when I started collecting again back in 1995 after not doing it since 1983- will be there again.

JEDIpartner
12-02-2005, 09:40 AM
I hear ya. I hear ya. What I think they SHOULD have done was stick to the ones that were actually in the film rather than going on these tangets of whimsy and "concept". With that, I don't think I would have such a crabby attitude about these... well-- that and the fact that they released a bunch of white clones that never actually existed. *shrug* They COULD HAVE put new paint apps on the #41 trooper since that one came in a much later wave.

jedi master sal
12-02-2005, 03:36 PM
I hear ya. I hear ya. What I think they SHOULD have done was stick to the ones that were actually in the film rather than going on these tangets of whimsy and "concept". With that, I don't think I would have such a crabby attitude about these... well-- that and the fact that they released a bunch of white clones that never actually existed. *shrug* They COULD HAVE put new paint apps on the #41 trooper since that one came in a much later wave.

Technically there were white clones in the movie. You can see them in the gunship standing behind Mace and Obi-wan as they are going to the Star Destroyer docks.

I for one would have rather had movie accurate clones too and in greater numbers to detract from scalpers.

Hasbro knew what they were doing when thy made alternate paint versions not in the moive. They knew the general fanbase loves clones and that we all would buy them. They've been shortpacking the ACTUAL movie accurate clones or in some case giving us a subpar sculpt of them.

Here's the breakdown:
Coruscant troopers-only found in the Target exclusive battle pack and most people hated that they used the jet pack trooper for the mold. (of course there is the much more expensive alternative grey Evolutions one that you can make from the commander to a grunt, but that's not practical.)
Shocktrooper-repaint of the #6 mold. Is the 2nd best mold IMO. Was VERY HTF for most people, since it was shortpacked.
Tact Ops trooper-#6 repaint found in the KMart exclusive. Great job, but too few of these shipped to retail stores! Single carded version is HTF right now and is rumored to be short packed. It's also a subpar mold, utilizing the AT-TE gunner mold. Now it could be that this isn't really shortpacked and that collectors and scalpers alike are snatching these up the moment they see them.
Utapau clone-rumored to be short packed next year and who knows WHAT mold they'll use for that one.

Other than these clones and the more specialized Bacara Clones and Gree Scout camo clones that have yet to come out, NONE of the other clones matter!

Target has had two clone single carded exclusives. The first one was close to the Saluecami clone (Neyo grunt), but wasn't quite perfect and the Shadow trooper, while it looks cool was a joke and they took us for our money too at $13 each (and with a smile on out faces no doubt).

So you can see that while we are complaining this and that about Hasbro, they've made sound business decisions for themselves. They've held back on some of the movie clones, no doubt to release next year or later, just to give them a chance to stretch the lincense out that much more. They are supposed to have the license til 2018, they've got to fill it with something. Though here's hoping that we get all the figs we want within the next 2-3 years. Because after that and the plethora of reissued figures, we just aren't going to be buying anymore and SW toys will finally take a dirt nap.

-Sal

Warstar
12-02-2005, 06:29 PM
I am one Jedi Temple Assault pack away from having all of the different types of Episode III Clones now. I can say, without a doubt, that Hasbro did a good job on them for the most part, and that #41 sculpt is my overall favorite sculpt, but the Evolutions ROTS Trooper in the Gray pack is my favorite clone.

Back on topic:

It's weird how scaplers latched onto Clone #41 and now they're pegwarmers. It's tough to buy more 41's for me, personally, because they are so ROTS specific, whereas Stormtroopers were good for 3 movies. It's a little odd that way.

Kind of glad the scalpers lost on 41 now :)

Maybe in a future Classic Star Wars Trilogy re-hash that Lucas is sure to do, he'll let his digital artists give the Stormtroopers a make-over, complete with Red, Yellow, Green or Blue command dots and so on...

...God I hope not...