PDA

View Full Version : GIJoe and Transformers DVDs: WTF?

El Chuxter
11-27-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm going to ask this here, since several of my fellow denizens of SSG tend to know a lot more about DVDs, and I can't find any info on this:

What happened to the TF and Joe DVDs?

I'm missing a few of the GIJoe season sets, and last night started to look around online. No one has these new anymore. Out of curiosity, I checked out the Transformers, though I have them all. Same thing.

Transformers finished up their DVDs over a year ago, but the GIJoe series ended with Season 2 Part 1 (which implies at least one more volume) came out in August of 2004 and has already apparently vanished.

Jeez, I couldn't afford to drop $40 the day these came out, so Rhino's gonna screw me? WTF?

UKWildcat
11-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Most of the Transformer dvds were just recently discontinued. According to the Discountinued Dvds part of a Home Theatre forum (link below) the individual volumes were discontinued on 11/16/05. And the box sets were discontinued around 06/18/05.

http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/disconti.htm

Rhino lost the publishing license to G.I. Joe, because of AOL/Time Warner I believe, so you will probably never see G.I.J season 2-Pt2 or any other season.

The Transformer dvds could have been discountined for the same reason as G.I.J, the studio, Rhino.

DarthQuack
12-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Your best chance is to check out Barnes and Nobles and Borders along with FYE. I have seen these still around....I need a couple TF's myself.

Exhaust Port
12-04-2005, 06:37 AM
Wow, this really sucks. I have the first few GI Joe and Transformers but I was waiting to pick up the rest when I had some extra money.

El Chuxter
12-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I've been searching. These are too recent and were produced in too large of quantities to truly be hard-to-find. I'm sure one of these mall stores that overcharges will have some, and they'll still be cheaper than the scalpers.

I can't imagine that these won't somehow be reissued, either by Rhino or another company. I mean, I can get freaking Punky Brewster on DVD if I'm ever dropped on my head and lose all reasoning faculties, thus finding that show entertaining. :)

JimJamBonds
12-04-2005, 11:44 AM
I saw a few of the box sets out and the prize was waaaaay to much for me. Had it been in the price range of 'The Simpsons' I would have picked it up but not at $50. :upset:

DarthQuack
05-15-2008, 02:46 AM
Have no fear Hasbro is here!!!!!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Transformers-Hasbro-Reacquires-Rights/9624

This is great news if you ask me....hopefully others will be on the wagon if/when the re-release these properties....especially if we can get all of GI Joe this time, and not just 3/4 of the series.

El Chuxter
05-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Good news and possibly bad news. Hasbro's releasing two DVD sets of 3-part miniseries with three figures for GIJoe, and announcing the TF 3-parter will be released with a 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime (AGAIN?!?!?). If they do standard releases, great. If not, this will be one hell of an expensive way to complete the series.

I seem to recall Hasbro making a statement about the two announced Joe sets as being a way to get the DVDs in the hands of fans, and seemed a bit clueless about actual mainstream distribution.

Blue2th
05-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Looking forward to getting those.
I wish and hope somehow we could get a definitive and complete GI Joe DVD set that you don't have to pay a fortune for or wasn't a bootleg.

BTW: If you click on the image of one of those toys for the DVD pack at HTS, there are four figures, and one of them is Sgt. Stalker in a yellow (error) uniform with what looks like a jet-pack or something. That 25th carded yellow-camo variation of him in wave one is still going for an astronomical price.
It would be cool to get him in that yellow suit. That might bring the prices down, or at least we could get him for loose display.

Exhaust Port
05-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Jeez, when the Transformers 25th Anniversary DVD hit the shelves they made it sound like the episode DVD's would quickly follow. Now it looks like they were speaking a bit out of turn as they didn't even have the rights to the episodes then. Now I hope when these finally come out that they are reasonably priced and not sold off in $60-70 box sets.

El Chuxter
05-16-2008, 12:48 PM
They did have the rights. What happened is the company was an offshoot subsidiary of Sony BMG Music (not sure why the music arm, but...). The only release it got out was the new Transformers: The Movie DVD. Then Sony shut the company down. Apparently, it's been re-formed, but the rights were lost when the company shut down.

One bit of good news: according to one article, this deal includes Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, and the other Japanese cartoons never released in America. (They were essentially a different Season 4, and about ten or so more seasons afterward.) It'd be nice to get official releases of these, even if the descriptions do seem kinda "odd" to American fans.

Blue2th
05-16-2008, 12:59 PM
One bit of good news: according to one article, this deal includes Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, and the other Japanese cartoons never released in America. (They were essentially a different Season 4, and about ten or so more seasons afterward.) It'd be nice to get official releases of these, even if the descriptions do seem kinda "odd" to American fans.
These are Japanese GI Joe episodes, or other character cartoons?

El Chuxter
05-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Transformers episodes, actually. They had a different Season 4, which led into Headmasters and subsequent series. The focus in the post-Headmasters serieses is on different characters, but, as I understand it, the transition happens gradually. I think it'd be fascinating to get an official release in the US.

But not Kiss Players. That is the sickest thing I've ever heard of. If you're not familiar, look it up at http://transformers.wikia.com and prepare to be disgusted. (One image is so questionable, I'm not even going to directly link to any Kiss Player pages.)

DarthQuack
03-05-2009, 12:16 PM
BAM

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Transformers-Season-1-25th-Anniversary-Ed/11435

Bringing it back baby! :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
03-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Box art is up and street date!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Transformers-Season-1-25th-Anniversary-Ed/11484

Really looking forward to this!

Maradona
03-12-2009, 11:18 PM
I picked up the original Rhino release, but might be tempted to pick up this set if the features and sound are improved.

Now if only they'll get to the missing Rhino GI Joe Season 2 volume 2...

pbarnard
04-23-2009, 12:06 PM
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/GI-Joe-Season-1.1/11757

Details are up. Why would I buy the 1.1 and than buy the complete series later on? But seems the complete series will come in a footlocker style box.

figrin bran
04-23-2009, 11:07 PM
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/GI-Joe-Season-1.1/11757

Details are up. Why would I buy the 1.1 and than buy the complete series later on? But seems the complete series will come in a footlocker style box.

So you actually want to buy an entire DVD set of "paid advertisements"? :p

pbarnard
04-24-2009, 09:54 AM
I acknowledge what it is and have no dillusions about it being a story/entertainment first. Advertisements can be entertaining. I'm just not going to buy 2 sets of the same thing redundantly.

Exhaust Port
04-25-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm curious what the price will be on these. The original box sets were so crazy expensive (both GI Joe and Transformers) that I had to really hold back on buying them which led to me getting no more than 2 boxes of each before they were OOP.

Ji'dai
06-20-2009, 11:21 PM
I saw the vintage Transformers Season 1 DVD set at WM Friday. Anyone buy this set yet? I'll put it on my christmas list.

I looked for the GI JOE DVD set as well, but I guess it's not out yet.

figrin bran
06-21-2009, 12:28 AM
I saw the vintage Transformers Season 1 DVD set at WM Friday. Anyone buy this set yet? I'll put it on my christmas list.

I looked for the GI JOE DVD set as well, but I guess it's not out yet.

Yes, I got Season 1 of Transformers for 16.99 today at Target.

DarthQuack
06-21-2009, 06:07 AM
I'm awaiting the complete series of both to hit stores before picking them up :)

Ji'dai
06-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Yes, I got Season 1 of Transformers for 16.99 today at Target. Is it a flip-book or does it have mini clamshells for each disc? Any inserts or booklets? How is the video quality? These are supposed to be cleaned up and remastered.

I'm awaiting the complete series of both to hit stores before picking them up :) How do you know there'll be a complete series set?

DarthQuack
06-21-2009, 01:04 PM
How do you know there'll be a complete series set?

Because I am God in this area :)

GI Joe (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/GI-Joe-Complete-Collector%27s-Footlocker-Set/12110)

Transformers (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Transformers-25th-Anniversary-Matrix-of-Leadership-Set/11998)

:thumbsup: I can't wait!

Ji'dai
06-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Wow, that Joe set is really keen. I don't want to pay $145 for it though. I'll watch my local Sam's Club and see if they get these sets in around christmas, as they're oft to do.

Ji'dai
09-05-2009, 07:22 AM
I was at the local Sam's warehouse club this week and spotted two new Transformers and GI Joe single DVDs. They were around $10 each.

The TF DVD had the premiere episodes "More Than Meets the Eye" 1, 2, & 3 plus two other episodes thrown in for good measure.

The GI Joe DVD had the M.A.S.S. Device five-part mini-series.

DarthQuack
09-07-2009, 08:11 AM
I picked up the complete series set in the footlocker for the Joes....still need the Transformers though.

Ji'dai
09-07-2009, 01:38 PM
I don't really care that they re-released the mini-series again. I think the battle packs with the DVDs, figures, and build-a-MASS Device was a good deal. That footlocker set is just too expensive. I'll watch for the separate season sets to go on sale this fall or closer to the holidays.

El Chuxter
09-07-2009, 02:11 PM
The footlocker came with an exclusive series of prints. If you got it at Comic-Con, they were autographed. I'd never heard of the guy. The Shout! Factory representative claimed they were "the original GIJoe comic book artist." Turns out, it was the artist who did these images as alternate covers for IDW's new series (which includes different costumes from the show, for crying out loud!).

I didn't see any reason to pay extra for autographs by someone I was unfamiliar with. Hopefully he doesn't become the next McFarlane.

DarthQuack
01-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Both complete series sets are on-sale at Amazon.....if you haven't had a chance to score these great sets yet! :)

http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Joe-Real-American-Hero/dp/B002KJ7OE4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1264462866&sr=1-7

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Anniversary-Matrix-Leadership-Complete/dp/B002KJ7ODU/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_b

Has anyone gotten these? I've had the G.I. Joe set and think it's fantastic.....really looking forward to getting the Transformers set later this week. :thumbsup: