PDA

View Full Version : SW Insider #58

Bel-Cam Jos
01-20-2002, 06:20 PM
I got my Insider yesterday (no plastic wrap? Address label attached to front cover? For shame, WOTC...), and I'm slowly reading it. My letter still hasn't been printed.

Any cool stuff so far, for those fast readers with no other things to keep them from reading purely for fun? :rolleyes:

2-1B
01-20-2002, 07:35 PM
Ahem, I too was disappointed in the way this issue was shipped.:frus:

Re: AOTC pics, the shot of Cliegg Lars was new to me, and I got a good look at Jar Jar's costume (well, the upper half of it).

I thought the piece on Billy Dee was a good read . . . .

I am curious to check out the Starwoids fan documentary (narrated by Kevin Smith) that is highlighted on pg. 26. Has anyone seen this footage, and what is your opinion?

Rollo Tomassi
01-22-2002, 07:59 AM
Insider is a little too propagandist for me now that WOTC took over. I was annoyed at thier little self congratulatory article about the new TCG, as if Decipher had never even been in the picture. We are not fooled, WOTC! And I never read truly intelligent mail anymore, they find the most basic, pandering letter and then make snide comments about either the writer or the subject matter. You should be thankful your letter wasn't printed. Half of their articles are some attempt to get you to pick up their SW gaming magazine which has the sole purpose of trying to get you interested in their WOTC role playing game. I remember when fan magazines were about the fans and not about some corporate agenda to sell games and cards.

Plus, everything I read in Insider, I read on SSG 4 months earlier.

OC47150
01-22-2002, 02:24 PM
You know, Caesar and Bel-Cam, I thought the magazine came in a shrink-wrapped wrapper but I couldn't remember. My issue survived the mail process so-so. The cover was a little torn from handling.

Wolfwood319
01-22-2002, 05:00 PM
I haven't been a subscriber/fan club memeber since the SE, and I haven't bought an issue of the insider since WOTC took over. Qutie frankly, the magazine hasn't even been worth the glances I take when I'm at my local comic book store.

Rollo hit it right on the mark. All they do is praise Lucas and themselves. The Jawa trader is non-existant at this point, and the magazine seems to be one big advertisement. There are more ads in the new issues than there are actual pages of articles it seems.

You give the rights to publish a fan magazine from an actual fan based organization to a company. And then they took the license away from Decipher and gave it to WOTC, did anyone not see that one coming?

Its all about profits and self-promotion these days.

"They're all polishing the brass on the Titantic, its all going down, man."

2-1B
01-23-2002, 01:28 AM
Steve McCallum-I mean-Sansweet has really gone mad too. :)
Re: AOTC figures, he said "they are doozies".

You're right about WOTC, Wolfwood - in this issue, they "presented" the new trading card game. Not even one mention of the old decipher line?

:crazed:

TeeEye7
01-23-2002, 06:42 AM
Natalie looks pretty good in this issue. Wonder if Jargo will ever change his opinion on spuds;) ?

OC47150
01-23-2002, 07:44 AM
My one complaint about the magazine is this: by the time you get it, some of the items offered in the Jawa Trader are already sold out. What's the deal with that?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-24-2002, 06:00 PM
I remember when the only SW items I bought online were from the Jawa Trader. :eek:

Now you can call it the Jawa Traitor. I am considering not renewing my subscription when it runs out this December... :(

SithDroid
01-24-2002, 10:08 PM
I agree. Where is the plastic surrounding it? Is WOTC too cheap now to give it to us like they used to? Did they think that we wouldn't notice? Plus the address label stuck to the front, Lame.

OC47150
01-25-2002, 07:43 AM
I read on another SW website where, as of Wednesday night or Thursday morning, 150 subscribers called the distributor and complained about the fact the magazine wasn't shrink-wrapped. I plan to check and see what that number is today.

I spoke with my buddy Wednesday and he said his issue was torn up pretty bad.

Sidiously Darth
01-25-2002, 11:20 PM
No shrink wrap on the mailed copies or the store copies. I may let my subscription go this time as well. It's not like they will not offer the items to non-subscribers down the road. What and loose all that money?:crazed:

Anyway, there seems to be a lot of pandering to the wallet in there. I think I'll move on to the SW Gamer mag. At least there is interesting info in there. I'm not into the role playing stuff but I like the info.