PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: The Next Generation

Tycho
12-02-2005, 03:28 PM
I've started re-watching my TNG collection with season 1.

I'm really enjoying it and I know the show gets a lot better later on.

Q was great and the Farpoint Mission intro was a good pilot episode. The characters were really well thought-out.

The Ferengi were interesting from the get-go. They became more so on DS9, but TNG had a nice intro to their culture.

The holodeck was an ingenious addition to a Trek show that made 3 series capable of telling stories they never could have done without time travel or some other improbable mishap. I'm looking forward to future holodeck episodes as I watch on.

Lore was great. The legacy of Data is so much more interesting now that we've come full circle with even the Remans having access to B-4 (ST: Nemesis).

I'm waiting for Worf to start developing as I haven't gotten to "Heart of Glory" yet, but the Klingon stuff always gets interesting - as does the Romulan issues which come full circle through TNG, DS9, and the movies through Nemesis (the furthest in the future Trek has dared to go).

For many years I was sick of TNG (I did like the other shows better) but I have come full circle and am enjoying them now.

Blue2th
12-02-2005, 07:17 PM
I loved all of the Next Generation, Voyager, Ds9 even Enterprise which I thought was the best of the series shows. I remember watching the Farpoint premier episode and thinking that the effects were pretty good for TV, but not as good as the movies or any of the Star Wars movies. The Jellyfish in space thing was kinda cheesy. Still we have to remember this was the beginnings of CGI. Definitely cutting edge at the time. You can see how much the technique improved over the years right up to Enterprise. I remember someone saying they never watched Enterprise because they didn't like the opening song!!!? What the!!! To bad it was cancelled. Wonder why? It was just getting better each season. Nothing good has taken it's place except maybe Battlestar Galactica. "Come Back Star Trek" :sad: :mad:

Tycho
12-03-2005, 04:28 PM
I really like Data and Geordi solving mysteries (real life ones) in episodes like "Home Soil." They are a pair of two of the smartest Star Trek characters to ever be a team.

JediTricks
12-03-2005, 04:45 PM
You know, ILM did the effects for "Encounter at Farpoint", but not the rest of the series.

TNG was always closest to my heart, it was really big to me during my entire teenage years - it ran from when I was 12 till 19, that's a big zone to impact. The show was a little cheesy which is part of what made it Star Trek, and the more I look at the Worf storylines the weaker they get, but the show itself was really something special. I was thinking about this last night, a portion of TNG was recycled concept from the Star Trek II tv show that got turned into ST:TMP - a lot of the earliest concepts of TNG's show were in there, and even some of the main characters, TMP had the executive officer replacing Spock being Will Decker, TNG had executive officer Will Ricker; TMP had an empath alien, TNG had an empath half-alien; TMP's empath was Ilia, TNG's empath was Troi, and Ilia could have been borrowed from the Iliad (or more specifically Ilium, the language's name for the city of Troy); and TMP had Decker and Ilia having a love affair which ended before they met again uncomfortably on the Enterprise, while TNG had the same exact thing with Ricker and Troi.

Blue2th
12-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Interesting parallels JediTricks. Things I did not know but now seem logical choices. Didn't ILM do all the effects on all the movies also? I know they did on the first few. I will have to look at the credits again. I have the 9 inch Target Geordie and Data as Sherlock and Watson Tycho. Always liked the episodes where they teamed up. Even in Generations when Data got his Emo chip. "Lifeforms lifeforms you tiny little lifeforms" then he started to crack and his face got all wierd. Data has always been my favorite character. Now he is dead only to come back as B4. I wonder if and how that will play out. People said I looked like Brent Spiner as he appeared in Independence Day only not with the goofy pants (that's when I was in a Rock band with really long hair)

JediTricks
12-03-2005, 05:39 PM
ILM did the effects for 2 -4, and 6-8, but not 1, 5, 9, or 10.

That digital effect they did on Data's face when he went nutty in Generations was way creepy. Killing Data off in Nemesis really made me angry because it seemed so arbitrary, and this B4 stuff didn't cut it at all.

Tycho
12-03-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm not finding Wesley Crusher all that annoying from an adult's perspective.

As a kid, I groaned every time he saved the ship because he seemed like the precocious kid in everybody's grade school class who always had the right answer. Now it seems like an unexplored element of Trek: age. We've seen what potential women, minorities, aliens, androids, etc. have on Trek. Why not young humans? The kids involved in the various modern shows all were very different from each other as well. Jake Sisko didn't emulate Wesley Crusher at all and I was thankful for it. But Wesley really wasn't all that bad. A child prodigy in that environment was sort of interesting.

JediTricks
12-03-2005, 05:53 PM
I think Wesley was a little too precocious and cutesy in the first season, then a little too angsty and preppie in the second season, and after that he settled in ok but had a little too much to do until he left.

Blue2th
12-03-2005, 06:00 PM
I think Wesley was a little too precocious and cutesy in the first season, then a little too angsty and preppie in the second season, and after that he settled in ok but had a little too much to do until he left.
Yeah he was. What I want to know is why they put him in those zip up the back pants with no pockets! What was up with that?!!! Must have been an 80's thing? Glad they finally put him in a uniform.lol

scruffziller
12-05-2005, 05:14 AM
Have you guys watched the special features on those DVD sets. I find it funny to hear Whil WHeaton say he was "so totally STOKED, to have Mick Fleetwood on the set." Because his parents were huge Fleetwood Mac fans.:D . I like how in the pilot and earlier subsequent eps, they really hadn't set Data's charachter just so solid yet. He is suppose to be totally "emotionless" but the first words out of his mouth are laced with emotion of surprise and envy. I was one of those TNG fans that started buying the Columbia house tapes at $25.14 a pop, 2 of them in a month in September of 1999. Then when the 1st season came out on DVD, I was at a point in the collection that I had $700 more to go in tapes. So, I figured at about $100 a season on DVD, I might as well go that route now. Now you can't even give those tapes away it seems. I do have the whole ST:TOS on tape though from Columbia house.

JimJamBonds
12-05-2005, 09:38 AM
I didn't get into TNG until about the 5th season (or there abouts). I really enjoyed it and used to watch the reruns all the time. I know they are still on some channel although I'm not sure which one or what time. I'd love to get series on dvd. :yes:

Tycho
12-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Have you guys watched the special features on those DVD sets. I find it funny to hear Whil WHeaton say he was "so totally STOKED, to have Mick Fleetwood on the set." Because his parents were huge Fleetwood Mac fans.:D . I like how in the pilot and earlier subsequent eps, they really hadn't set Data's charachter just so solid yet. He is suppose to be totally "emotionless" but the first words out of his mouth are laced with emotion of surprise and envy. I was one of those TNG fans that started buying the Columbia house tapes at $25.14 a pop, 2 of them in a month in September of 1999. Then when the 1st season came out on DVD, I was at a point in the collection that I had $700 more to go in tapes. So, I figured at about $100 a season on DVD, I might as well go that route now. Now you can't even give those tapes away it seems. I do have the whole ST:TOS on tape though from Columbia house.

I have all my Trek on VHS except Enterprise which was only released on DVD. I did Columbia House for years. Long enough to get everything but Voyager Seasons 6 & 7 (which I'll buy the DVDs for).

I like how I can arrange them on my book case with most of TNG/DS9/Voy in chronological order since there are only 2 episodes per tape. Hopefully they'll last because Columbia House won't replace / resell episodes now.

El Chuxter
12-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Mick Fleetwood appeared on this? Maybe I should actually watch it. He rawks. :crazed:

I can't really add much of any worth, since I liked the show but never followed it. The problem I had with Star Trek growing up was that you had to have seen every episode of every preceding series, seen all the movies, read all the books, read all the comics, and talk to people in costumes who seemed to think they really were Klingons to fully appreciate what was going on. It always struck me as too much work. Maybe when I have a lot of time to kill, I'll try to watch the entire series and see if my opinion's changed.

BTW, Kirk could totally kick Picard's a**.

scruffziller
12-05-2005, 02:45 PM
BTW, Kirk could totally kick Picard's a**.

Yes with melee fighting but not at chess.:D

Mick Fleetwood appeared on this? Maybe I should actually watch it. He rawks. :crazed:

He did but you wouldn't know it was him from looking at him because he had on a costume. He appeared as an Antedian, a fishman; in the episode MANHUNT. There is a pic below. John Tesh also appeared in an episode as a Klingon. It was the one where it was Worf's birthday.

JimJamBonds
12-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Ashley Judd was in a couple of episodes as well. :love:

scruffziller
12-06-2005, 06:39 AM
Ashley Judd was in a couple of episodes as well. :love:

Yes, Darmok and The Game. John DeLancie's wife was also on the show one episode, as Harmony in LOUD AS A WHISPER.

JediTricks
12-06-2005, 08:00 PM
I didn't get into TNG until about the 5th season (or there abouts). I really enjoyed it and used to watch the reruns all the time. I know they are still on some channel although I'm not sure which one or what time. I'd love to get series on dvd. :yes:It plays every weekday on Spike, 3 eps a day, 2 to 5p. I think they also have a Friday night airing or something like that.

I can't really add much of any worth, since I liked the show but never followed it. The problem I had with Star Trek growing up was that you had to have seen every episode of every preceding series, seen all the movies, read all the books, read all the comics, and talk to people in costumes who seemed to think they really were Klingons to fully appreciate what was going on. It always struck me as too much work. Maybe when I have a lot of time to kill, I'll try to watch the entire series and see if my opinion's changed.I so don't agree with that, I think nearly any episode of The Original Series or The Next Generation are completely accessable without having to see anything else in the series. I think the first 6 movies are similarly accessable (they do more work catching the audience up to speed). And I've read barely any books or comics or talked to any costumed nerds yet I'm a total Trekkie. DS9 was a continuing story arc so it definitely helped to watch the show.

El Chuxter
12-06-2005, 10:24 PM
I've watched episodes and followed them pretty well. But my impression has always been from Trekkies that I'm missing most of the story. I supposed that's how most people feel when talking to hardcore EU fans, though, so yousa point well seen.

I have always enjoyed the original series and TNG when I've seen them, and every other movie has been good. ;) It's when you get beyond TNG that it starts to lose me.

JediTricks
12-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I suppose SW EU fans are the same way when they get that hardcore, that's a great comparison, I guess both of them folks (SW and ST EUers) would feel that way but to me it's like reading more into something than is actually there. Occasionally Trek would use something from the novels, like Data's cat Spot originated in a novel (it was a good one too) but you don't need to know all the backstory involved with Data not being approachable by cats because he's not human only to have a life-changing affect and now they do (or something like that) to understand that Data has a cat. My grandmother has a cat, that doesn't mean that to understand that fact you have to know how she got it and why it replaced the last cat she loved more but died early in its life because outdoor cats get feline leukemia.

I have always enjoyed the original series and TNG when I've seen them, and every other movie has been good. ;) It's when you get beyond TNG that it starts to lose me.You and me both, although I did like DS9 (it's more like a Babylon 5 type show, in fact it is directly ripped off from B5 which was pitched to Paramount before it went into production), Voyager and Enterprise really took it in the wrong direction and relied too heavily on story arcs without doing the legwork the way DS9 had.

scruffziller
12-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Voyager and Enterprise really took it in the wrong direction and relied too heavily on story arcs without doing the legwork the way DS9 had.

Please clarify........

I think why Voyager rubbed alot of fans in the wrong direction was not the show itself but the casting. The acting is flat and the charachters ill defined by the lacking of acting skill of the cast. Everyone seems like they are the same as everyone else. There is no soul that TNG delivered. Because the writing and the richeness of the content was nothing more than an advancement of the genius writing that was on TNG. Granted, the show didn't really start to get good until Voyager ran into the Borg. Now if it was The Enterprise D that got thrown across the galaxy, with the same Enterprise D crew and they had to face out there what Voyager faced, then it would have been a much better show.

Tycho
12-07-2005, 02:20 PM
I really liked Tom Paris and B'Ellana Torres' chemistry on that show. Tuvok was cool, too.

JediTricks
12-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Neither series really built solid foundations for their smaller story arcs, they didn't build and strengthen rounded characters and situations, instead we'd get thin characters doing thin things for several episodes and calling it a story arc, or there'd be some big event which would thrust characters into doing things differently than they had before, giving it a thin, false feeling to the arc.

Now if it was The Enterprise D that got thrown across the galaxy, with the same Enterprise D crew and they had to face out there what Voyager faced, then it would have been a much better show.Funny you should mention that, the Ent D crew *did* get thrown across the galaxy and have to face that situation, they did it in a couple different episodes (the one with the Traveller and the one where Q introduces them to the Borg) but it didn't take over the whole show, how Berman thought they could get 7 interesting seasons out that is beyond me.

Tycho
12-09-2005, 04:33 AM
I really liked "The Arsenol of Freedom" and "Skin of Evil" tape on Columbia House. Geordi's first command was cool as was Worf taking over tactical and all the cast had something to do in "Arsenol."

JediTricks
12-09-2005, 03:53 PM
"Arsenal". And it was a good ep if a little corny, definitely hadn't come into the money to make it look good at this point, but the underlying writing was really good.

Too bad Skin of Evil was such a poorly-written ep, it felt very much a rushed job just to get rid of Tasha (Denise Crosby quit the show to pursue her career... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!)

Tycho
12-09-2005, 04:04 PM
It does amaze that they killed a main character though. But then Star Trek has been doing that on all its series:

Tasha Yar - Season 1, TNG
Jadzia Dax - Season 6, DS9
Kes - Voyager, Season 4
Trip Tucker- Enterprise, Season 4

I know the history behind the actors decisions to leave the shows (except Connor Traineer (Trip), but it still makes the series more realistic to not have everyone always survive. I think Jadzia's death had the most impact on a show however.

Droid
12-09-2005, 04:56 PM
It does amaze that they killed a main character though. But then Star Trek has been doing that on all its series:

Tasha Yar - Season 1, TNG
Jadzia Dax - Season 6, DS9
Kes - Voyager, Season 4
Trip Tucker- Enterprise, Season 4

I know the history behind the actors decisions to leave the shows (except Connor Traineer (Trip), but it still makes the series more realistic to not have everyone always survive. I think Jadzia's death had the most impact on a show however.

Now if you look at the other Star Trek thread going right now you'll see my complaining about poorly done Star Trek deaths (Trip among them). Tasha, Jadzia, Kes. These deaths were given the time to resonate. Though I agree Tasha's death episode was rushed, her character was dealt with well after her death. Picard's family, Kirk, Data, Trip. What fiascos.

Tycho
12-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Jadzia's death was well-done. More of Worf's reaction to Dukat would have helped, but it was covered by that mission that even Bashir and Quark went on with Worf to avenge her. Sisko reacted a lot to her passing, too.

Tasha was #2 in terms of impact. The whole Sela-thing, resonnating from "Yesterday's Enterprise" was something, as was "All Good Things." Fortunately Denise Crosby was readily available. (heheh)

Kes I never took to that well. She was interesting but anecdotal.

If Trip had to die, T'Pol's reaction and prolonged delving into it, might've been a good way to go. But they had to make it meaningless, during the last episode, and offset its impact with Riker and Troi making appearances. After Terra Prime was one of the highest moments in Trek (especially for Enterprise), they did this and wasted the Trip - T'Pol passion on something that resulted from Shran's folly. Not only that - but no "Archer losing his best friend and reviewing it with Shran" / Kirk and Gary Mitchell / Spock moment. The Episode would have worked better if it was 90 minutes instead of 60, but it still was a waste of Trip Tucker.

JediTricks
12-09-2005, 10:16 PM
Trip died for no reason, it wasn't part of the series, I think it was just for series finale purposes.

Jadzia was the same thing, except they killed her off simply because she wouldn't work with Rick Berman anymore because he was such a hack and her 6-year contract was up, she wanted them to not kill off her character but they basically were nasty about it.

Tycho
12-18-2005, 06:02 AM
I watched the Icarus Factor amongst other episodes and I really don't understand why they made such a big deal about Riker being "that good" that he deserves a captaincy, but he turns each ship he's offered down. That seemed stupid to me.

JediTricks
12-18-2005, 03:01 PM
It's about his military career stalling out, after a certain point if a qualified officer doesn't take a promotion, the brass looks at his situation and says "there's something wrong, don't give this guy promotions" because he looks like he's afraid to move forward with his career and become a leader rather than a follower. Kirk took command of the Enterprise when he was around Riker's age in that one, so when offered a command which is fairly rare, Riker is expected to move his way up. Picard was given official command of the Stargazer at some point between his late 20s and his early 40s, we're never told exactly when, but Riker's inability to take the reins does haunt his career for a long time afterwards.

Tycho
12-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Kirk was 29 years old and the youngest Captain in SF history in Season 1 of TOS.

It's funny because Riker wanted to emulate him - that was his hero, but he couldn't stifle his fears that he wouldn't be able to dress himself every morning without Picard there to help him. He was a good First Officer, but the perennial student who just wouldn't graduate.

There was an African woman (Capt. Skylar Something...) that surpassed him as shown in the TNG episode "Conspiracy."

I don't know when Picard got the Stargazer, but presumably it was after he'd turned 30 or so. Actually, how old is he supposed to be in Season 1 of TNG?

Sisko and Janeway were likely in their 30's.

Archer was likely in his 40's "back in the day."

JediTricks
12-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Kirk was 34 when he was promoted to captain of the Enterprise, but the part about him being the youngest captain at that time is accurate. By the way, the StarTrek.com library entry has 2 different ages, 31 and 34 - SMOOTH! :D Anyway, as Kirk was the youngest captain in the fleet, that probably also made him the youngest Admiral when he was promoted 6 years later.

Riker was 31 when he was made commander and first officer of the Ent-D, and during the Borg incident 2 years later was field promoted to captain of that ship, so it's not that out there that he'd be a captain at this point in his career, it's a different Starfleet from Kirk's era 90 years prior.

There was an African woman (Capt. Skylar Something...) that surpassed him as shown in the TNG episode "Conspiracy."Captain Tryla Scott of the USS Renegade, I looked it up.

I don't know when Picard got the Stargazer, but presumably it was after he'd turned 30 or so. Actually, how old is he supposed to be in Season 1 of TNG?58, though there is a lot of writing confusion about how old he actually is in early seasons, one ep suggesting that he's significantly older but medicine has further lengthened the human lifespan so 80 is the new 50. Commander Picard was made first officer of the Stargazer when he was only 28 though, and later was made captain when that ship's commander was killed.

Sisko and Janeway were likely in their 30's.

Archer was likely in his 40's "back in the day."Archie was never given an official age, but Scott Bakula was 47 when "Enterprise" first aired.

Sisko was 37 when he took command of DS9, and 41 when promoted to the rank of Captain. Janeway was also never given a birth year, but Kate Mulgrew was 40 when "ST:Voyager" first aired.

BTW, Shatner was 35 when his pilot of TOS first aired, so I am betting the 34 age on Star Trek is the "correct" one.

Tycho
12-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Thank you for all the ages of everyone. That was interesting reading. Good research, JT!

I just watched "Pen Pals" and "Q-Who" in Season 2 in my Columbia House journey. Very good episodes that still stand up to the test of time in this day - even with the early Borg makeup. They did a good job and John DeLancie was borderline "evil Q" in that one. His confrontation with Guinan was interesting, as is her past history with the Borg. Q hurled the Enterprise 2 years away from any starbase, so they weren't quite sent into Voyager's delta quadrant. It seems the Borg were coming anyway and they'd made a lot of progress.

JediTricks
12-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Jeez, I looked it up, you're right, they're only 2 years from the nearest starbase, that was some sloppy writing, Guinan talks about how they're not ready for this encounter and Q makes it sound like he's pushing up a timetable by generations at least.

However, I am pretty sure that the Borg were said to NOT be coming to Federation space UNTIL they got a look at the Enterprise, that was the key to the whole thing.

Tycho
12-21-2005, 04:56 PM
I really liked "Peak Performance." I think that was a cool way around proving "who was better, Picard or Riker?" but it was also Armin Shimmerman's first appearance as a Ferengi, if I'm not mistaken. He could have been in one of the Season 1 episodes though.

"The Ensigns of Command" could have made a wonderful softcore film with "girl and droid" and would have been a great place for Data's line "in the event of a water landing, I have been constructed to be used as a floatation device." But seriously, it was a cool episode. Riker doesn't have much patience for Data though, does he?

JON9000
12-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Kirk was 34 when he was promoted to captain of the Enterprise, but the part about him being the youngest captain at that time is accurate. By the way, the StarTrek.com library entry has 2 different ages, 31 and 34 - SMOOTH! :D Anyway, as Kirk was the youngest captain in the fleet, that probably also made him the youngest Admiral when he was promoted 6 years later.
Then how come Kirk turns 40 in Wrath of Khan but says he hasn't seen Khan in 15 years (Space Seed)? Seems to me Kirk was running the show at 25. It may sound far out, but Lawrence of Arabia was the 27 year old conqueror of Damascus.

JediTricks
12-24-2005, 02:25 PM
I don't remember them saying it was 40th birthday, I don't remember them saying what age he was exactly, but it was his 52nd birthday (or his 55th birthday depending on which of the 2 captaining dates is correct). Star Trek:TMP takes place 2 years after the 5-year-mission which ended in 2269, so it happens in 2271. Star Trek 2:WOK takes place 14 years later when Spock is Captain of the Enterprise which is now a Starfleet training vessel, that's 2285.

Jayspawn
12-30-2005, 10:54 PM
I have a semi-hard Trek question fer ya all. JT maybe you can get this one because I cant seem to locate the answer. Its an Original Series one that I actually dont know.

There's a uniform logo that has a pi symbol on it instead of the standard command, medical, enguineering, or medical. What does it stand for? Is it a Starbase symbol?

JediTricks
12-31-2005, 03:08 PM
There's a lot of info out there on the assignment patches, but I couldn't find a Pi logo in any of them. Do you know where specifically in the TOS universe does this appear? (Show, comic, book, reference, whatever)

Jayspawn
12-31-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure where it appears. I'm trying to research it. There's another symbol of a Y that appears on the patch also.

JediTricks
01-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Are these on actual episodes? Are they clear enough to make out, or are those just approximations? There's 1 patch from the show that was a fat, rounded Y, but I wouldn't call it the letter "Y" on my own.

Tycho
01-03-2006, 12:27 AM
A bit off topic here as well, but I went to Las Vegas for New Years and did part of my celebrating in Quark's and Ten-Forward. Susie Plakston (K'Leyher, Worf's girl) was there signing autographs.

I went through the Borg Assimilation Experience (Voyager) but prefer the original (and still operating) Klingon Encounter (TNG).

I happily drink Cardassian Ale, Risa-Collada's, and shared a Warp-Core Breach with my friend. Quark's prices were fair for Vegas at New Year's.

JediTricks
01-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Had they taken the cheesy big TVs down from the bar yet? A friend of mine used to be a waiter there and left right after they added the TVs trying to turn it into a bland sports bar.

I've only been on the Klingon Encounter, that was pretty cool.

Tycho
01-04-2006, 01:00 AM
No, the TVs are still there. In Quark's they were showing the football games but in Ten-Forward they were running Enterprise Season 2 or 3 DVDs (I saw the episode where Trip was caught on that planet with the alien he couldn't communicate with "Dawn.")

The original Klingon Encounter is a much cooler, and more violent ride. The Borg Assimilation Experience is like the Terminator experience at Universal Studios. It's creepy though because there's Borg "implants" in the chairs you're seated in.

megaprime33
01-04-2006, 02:06 PM
To kind of get back on topic, i love TNG! Definitely one of the best TV shows that had ever was. I remember when Spike tv had the marathon of the show. They aired like 10 episodes all day long, it was amazing! I decided at first to not get the dvds because it was still on TV so much, but now that it isnt I've been searching ebay for some great deals

JediTricks
01-04-2006, 02:22 PM
The TVs ruin it for me, I won't go back until they take 'em down, or at least get ones that LOOK like they fit into the decor.

The Klingon Encounter is great because, like Star Tours, it immerses you in the fantasy universe and then it's a fun ride as well. It's a little awkward being on the Enterprise-D with all these cast-members, but once you get past that it's easy to have a lot of fun with it. I kinda wish they'd occasionally open it up so we could just run around the bridge and hallways and stuff (that main hallway is TOO BIG though).

TNG is the perfect blend of classic and modern Trek, I can sit down and watch nearly any episode even when I know it by heart, even the earliest ones where they were the most TOS-like. I never bought the DVDs and I do now kinda regret it, same with TOS, those 2 are DVD sets I really wish I could afford, especially since the latter isn't airing anymore in reruns.

BTW, I remembered another comparison between Star Trek Phase II and TNG, Phase II became ST:The Motion Picture, and ST:TMP's theme song was reused for TNG's theme song.

Tycho
01-05-2006, 04:03 AM
I rather liked Worf in the Klingon uniforms. The DS9/Nemesis one didn't look that great though.

JediTricks
01-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Tycho, was that post meant for the Star Trek figures thread instead of this one?

Tycho
01-06-2006, 02:49 AM
Oops. My goof. Oh well, the opinion was mostly posted for your eyes JT, since you were discussing the Worf figures in that thread. Glad you read my comments - somewhere. Hehe.

JediTricks
01-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Righteo. I think the heads on all those figures are the same with different hair, so you probably are appreciating the hair and outfit more than the actual likeness. Hard to believe Worf started as only slightly more than a background character on TNG to become so popular.

Tycho
01-06-2006, 01:46 PM
He's a Klingon and it didn't surprise me at all: Worf almost represents the ultimate in achieving peaceful race relations. The tough guy who's a threat is always interesting - and a challenge to get underneathe and get to know.

JediTricks
01-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Yeah, but the original idea was he was just another regular member of the crew, a junior-grade Lieutenant who wasn't even a security officer but just another button-pusher, not someone special enough to divert the Enterprise to the Klingon homeworld over and over.

Tycho
01-11-2006, 07:26 PM
I just watched CH VHS "The Masterpiece Society" and "Conundrum." On the second episode, I love how Riker gets together with Ro Laren and then tries it on with Deanna Troi again. Male slut! It had me laughing. The ship was indirectly in jeopardy in a crisis and he's sleeping around all over the place. Gotta love it. Obviously I'm in the middle of 5th Season right now.

1st was a good start.
2nd was fun with Dr. Pulaski. (I liked her)
3rd got really good cumulating with Best of Both Worlds.
4th started strong but sort of fizzled out.
5th has been cool in some ways (Ashley Judd as Ens. Leffler! Hot!) and I liked Spock in Unification.

6th and 7th are better than half of 4th and most of 5th IIRC. Darmok was a great episode though, as was Ensign Ro and Silicon Avitar.

Tycho
01-20-2006, 01:51 AM
I really enjoyed "Starship Mine." Picard as a hunter with Worf's crossbow trying to retake the ship was cool and Data learning to "small talk" with Commander Hutchinson was funny. Call me Hutch...

scruffziller
01-20-2006, 08:05 AM
I liked Spock in Unification.

Yes that is one of my favs. The one for the fanboys' scene wich was so beautiful was the conversation between Spock and Data.:thumbsup:

But one of the all time funnies moments in the show was in this ep when Riker harrases the "fat" Ferengi.:D

Jayspawn
01-20-2006, 08:09 AM
Unification was one of the best episodes ever. Yes, that conversation between Spock and Data was great. It was great when Data does the neck pinch and Spock says "Not bad."

"In you're own way, you remind me of another Captain of the Enterprise I once knew."

My favorite line in the whole episode!

Jayspawn
01-20-2006, 08:10 AM
I think thats the last of Spock that we seen in Star Trek.

Tycho
01-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Agreed. They should have found a way to incorporate his story into a part of Nemesis possibly. That would have been cool.

Meanwhile, just watched "Suspicions," and "Rightful Heir." The latter was a great episode for religious skeptics as well as examined what is "faith." I love that episode. I don't want to "Rancor Pit" the Star Trek thread, but it is the perfect episode for me, as I go along with Worf's journey to find what he believes in - and I love his conversations with Data.

JediTricks
01-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Starship Mine is easily one of the best Picard eps of all time, people DIE and stuff, Picard pretends to be a barber while simultaneously playing MacGuyver, and Lyta from Babylon 5 is a meanie.

Tycho
01-23-2006, 04:12 AM
I was watching my VHS tapes and guess who starred as the Transporter Chief? "The Shield's" Benito Martinez (David Aceveda)! He looked a little younger (it was the late 80's then) but clearly recognizeable in the gold Starfleet uniform. Pretty funny and a nice surprise.

It was the episode "Descent Part 2" in which the crew faced an altered Borg being ruled by Data's evil twin brother Lore and Beverly Crusher commanded the Enterprise while most of the senior crew was on the planet, caught in the crossfire of a Borg civil war.

The 2nd part was good, but the first part, the set-up and story premise, seemed a bit contrived and convenient. They used Transwarp corridors long before Voyager did. And the "Don't let them touch you!" threat of assimilation witnessed in First Contact and Voyager was missing because these Borg didn't use their assimilation powers. I think that weakened the Borg's threatening character as a race for these episodes. Anyway, maybe if I watch these again I'll be more impressed.

JediTricks
01-23-2006, 04:05 PM
That ep was not in the late '80s, it was '93. What bothered me about the ep was that EVERYBODY from the bridge crew went down to the planet, made no sense at all.

Jayspawn
01-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Somebody probably dared the writers to try and get the entire bridge crew on a planet at the same time.

scruffziller
01-24-2006, 07:22 AM
I just watched MEASURE OF A MAN again. It mesmerizes me every time I watch it. But more than that, I had a revelation of sorts. I noticed in that ep that the guy who wanted to take Data away made an argument point, "If the Enterprise refused a refit, would you allow it?" And I said(back then when it first aired),"Yes, if it was a sentient being like Data." And low and behold, what happened. The episode EMERGENCE came about in season 7.

Plus I got a question for you guys. I had a friend that said that ST:TOS had much more conflict(proportionately) going on than TNG. I'm not really sure? Thoughts?

Tycho
01-24-2006, 09:30 AM
In TOS, Spock and McCoy constantly fought each other with Kirk as the prize, so to speak. In TNG, the crew all got along with each other better. They tried to bring character conflict back to Star Trek with DS9 and Voyager. Consequently, TNG is the most dull Star Trek to me on certain levels. Don't get me wrong. I love it, but...

Droid
01-24-2006, 10:35 AM
I thought Emergence was really, really stupid.

JediTricks
01-24-2006, 07:55 PM
If the Enterprise's EMH tried to refuse a refit, I don't think I'd have a problem with ignoring its request, but if Voyager's EMH did, it'd be a different situation because one is "alive" and unique while the other is not. Data was a unique lifeform, he could be neither repaired nor replaced if something went terribly wrong, but with the pre-activated Lore or B4 (ugh) it may be different.

Tycho, I think you have the reason why Spock and McCoy bickered all wrong, they weren't trying to get Kirk as the prize, they were arguing about the human condition, one on the side of heart while the other argued from the side of reason, each argument was about 2 solid sides of a situation, and it was Kirk's ability to measure the 2 sides and make the best decision from there which made him the captain. Kirk used this competitive behavior to bring out the best in McCoy and Spock, maybe teach them a little humility along the way, while Picard used cooperative behavior from his bridge crew to make the best decisions and occasionally didn't take their advice showing that there were other sides. Janeway and Archer both tried to play both sides of that but came off more as Picard wannabes, "soft" captaining. And Sisko just did what he thought was the right thing and rarely took anybody else as his equal in those matters, to him Kira and the rest gave intel and options but weren't makers of the command decision.

Tycho
01-24-2006, 10:39 PM
You summed it up nicely JT. I just didn't feel like typing that much ;)

JediTricks
01-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Excellent, the plan is coming together nicely. Mwa ha ha to you all.

BTW, another coinkidink between TNG and TMP was that one of the names bandied about for the "Star Trek: Phase II" show which eventually became TMP was "Star Trek: The New Generation".

scruffziller
01-27-2006, 12:55 PM
If the Enterprise's EMH tried to refuse a refit, I don't think I'd have a problem with ignoring its request, but if Voyager's EMH did, it'd be a different situation because one is "alive" and unique while the other is not. Data was a unique lifeform, he could be neither repaired nor replaced if something went terribly wrong, but with the pre-activated Lore or B4 (ugh) it may be different.

If the Enterprise was sentient(and the other starships were not), I would say that is a unique being. And thus, I would give it the right to choose what it does, it may not want to serve as a starship anymore.

Tycho
01-28-2006, 12:40 AM
In the episode "Inheritance" where Data meets his mother (or the android reproduction of her) he learns that he is the 5th attempt by Soong to make an android:

3. (B4?)
4. Lore
5. Data
6. Juliana Soong #2

A great episode actually. It's as deep as TNG was famous for going for.

In any case, Nemesis was not that far-fetched.

JediTricks
01-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Yeah, what could be far-fetched about a mentally-handicapped android disassembled and placed on an outskirt planet sending out a "positronic signal" which shouldn't be strong enough to scan for while in orbit yet can be found lightyears away? And why didn't anybody, like Dr Soong, Juliana, Lore, or the colonists' diaries, mention this B4 character to Data? And how did Shinzon know of B4's existance? How did Shinzon find him, how did he reprogram him to be a spy, how could Data and the rest of the Enterprise crew not notice the odd timing in all of this until way later??? (otherwise, they wouldn't have rebuilt him if they knew it was a problem)

Jayspawn
02-01-2006, 09:21 AM
If you Costco Members want a deal, I picked up TNG Season 1 for only $44.99! They just got them in! They also had TNG Seasons 2,3, and DS9 Seasons 1 &2.

Tycho
02-07-2006, 02:08 AM
I just finished watching "All Good Things" and all I can say is that was a great episode! TNG went out with a bang. I wish it had never ended. It wasn't my favorite Trek, but it sure was hell-good! : up:

scruffziller
02-07-2006, 07:51 AM
I just finished watching "All Good Things" and all I can say is that was a great episode! TNG went out with a bang. I wish it had never ended. It wasn't my favorite Trek, but it sure was hell-good! : up:

Yea All Good Things was one of the best. In fact it was coined unofficially the first TNG movie.

JediTricks
02-07-2006, 04:25 PM
IMO, All Good Things delivers 10 times the Star Trek that "Star Trek: Generations" does, look at the way AGT ends with hope for the future and the possibility of a new level of understanding both for Picard with his crew and humanity in the universe, then we immediately go to ST:G and destroy all of that in one fell swoop. I have been against the idea of a Q movie for a while, but after just 1 decent TNG movie out of 4, I think Q should get his anger up over that and come back.

Tycho
02-09-2006, 11:57 AM
I just watched Generations and enjoyed it much more than I recollect enjoying it before. It was a pretty solid movie. Malcolm McDowell was excellent as a villain (Dr. Soran). The Duras sisters were fun as usual.

Jayspawn
02-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Me too Tycho. I really like Generations -one of my favorite Trek movies. I like the death of Kirk they went with rather than being shot by Soran. I like how the crew starts changing uniforms throughout the film.

Funny story, apparently Brent Spiner hates cats and would rather have found Geordi in the wreckage instead of Spot.

Tycho
02-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Yeah, in retrospect, the of Kirk was done really well, instead of him just being shot by a one-time bad guy or whatever. Kirk is one of my favorite Trek characters, and who'd want to see him go out like a punk - or die of old age? I might have written he died differently - a different movie plot altogether - but it worked alright.

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Kirk's death had to be reshot because the original was so drab. The final version was pretty drab too, it's the world's most manufactured plot device as Kirk dies leaping onto a rickety platform to grab a PADD that's somehow stuck there. And the stupid PADD actually shifts to the other side, originally it's shown on the side Kirk starts at. Here's another plan, why not NOT do this, let the stupid rocket go off, then wait for the Nexus ribbon to pass and have Picard go back to an even EARLIER date when he could have stopped all this rubbish whenever he wanted, or go back even FURTHER and have the Nexus *not* destroy Kirk in the first place. MAN do I hate Generations!

Jayspawn
02-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Generations rules!

Well I recently bought TNG Season 1 for a good price and watched "Encounter at Farpoint". Good episode for a pilot. It would have been nice if De Kelley had a bigger role. Boy, did Patrick Stewart look younger.

Droid
02-17-2006, 02:50 PM
I have hated three of the four Next Generation movies:

Generations: I thought the death of Picard's family was appalling and unnecessary. I know some would argue it was a theme to the movie - but what was the theme comparing how Picard and the villain dealt with loss? I don't think it justified killing Picard's family. (I also hate the way Kirk's brother casually was killed in the original series. I don't think Kirk mourned adequately.) Kirk was thrown in and wasted. He was basically treated like a Star Trek red shirt. Star Trek VI was a much more fitting ending to the original crew. And I still say the Scotty episode of Generation implies Kirk survived Scotty's being lost in space. I hated Data having the emotions chip; it ruined the best thing about Data, his quest to become human. The journey was more interesting than the destination. I thought Data's makeup was off in the movie. Too white or something.

First Contact: This movie couldn't decide if it wanted to show how humans first invented warp drive and met the Vulcans or if it wanted to be about the Borg so it did both poorly. It ruined the Borg. It took the most interesting things about them - their being unstoppable and lack of individuality and trashed them. They gave us the Borg Queen who died on the Borg cube in All Good Things and yet was alive and well in Generations. I also hated that Picard was shown talking to the collective male voice in Best of Both Worlds but we are to believe that there was a Queen running around Best of Both Worlds. I think Picard still hearing the Borg after having the implants removed is so stupid. And in All Good Things one Borg cube almost destroys the entire Federation, only through Picard's link was it stopped. But yet the Enterprise just obliterates the cube in the movie. I thought it was dumb that the Borg changed history but yet the Enterprise could still stop them because they were in a pocket that hadn't changed. Data turning the emotions chip on and off was so stupid. Terrible movie.

Insurrection: Believe it or not, this is my favorite movie of the bunch because although it is not a great Trek movie it felt like an episode of the series. Them not explaining why Worf was there was dumb. I didn't like that Data just didn't have the chip so they could have an old fashioned Data tries to understand humanity moment with that kid. I took that as an admission by the writers that Data having the chip was a mistake.

Nemesis: I have not hated anything in Trek more than I hate this movie. As I have said in the past they destroyed Data for no good reason to give us his idiot brother. Data was much more interesting alive than dead. His All Good Things future Data was a better progression for the character. Data as a captain would have been a fantastic movie or series. How long would Data have lived? What would he have done hundreds of years from now when all of his companions were dead? Interesting idea for a show - Trek universe hundreds of years from now with Data as captain. I hated everything about Nemesis. Wesley stopped journeying with the Traveller through unknown universes and dimensions for a wedding?

Jayspawn
02-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Thats pretty harsh Droid. I really didnt mind any of the TNG movies. I actually liked Nemesis. I thought they should have had Ending Signiture Credits like The Undiscovered Country had.

JediTricks
02-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Of course Picard looked younger, he *is* younger! Next year TNG turns 20 :( I'm so old!

Droid, about Picard's family dying, you are so right that it was unnecessary. Hell, Picard could have even taken the Nexus back and saved them and STILL had plenty of time to save the Enterprise and stop the destruction of not 1 but 2 stars even! God I hate Generations. And Kirk was totally pointless, they wrote cheap heroics rather than Kirk characterizations. And the first version of Kirk's death was he just got shot in the back by Soran?!? WEAK!!!

I think First Contact is an awesome film, it's basically Moby Dick but Picard actually uses his brain to win the day after nearly costing them everything. The First Contact backdrop is merely a mcguffin, the thing everybody's after.

"They gave us the Borg Queen who died on the Cube in All Good Things and yet was alive and well in Generations" Um, what are you talking about? The Borg were in neither All Good Things eps nor Generations. From your next mention of the ep title, I'm guessing you are confusing TNG's finale "All Good Things" with "Best of Both Worlds pt 2".

I didn't like that Data just didn't have the chip so they could have an old fashioned Data tries to understand humanity moment with that kid. I took that as an admission by the writers that Data having the chip was a mistake.Data DOES have the emotion chip in Insurrection, the chip was fused into his neural net in Generations and couldn't be removed, only turned on and off like in First Contact.

I loathed Generations, Insurrection, and couldn't tolerate Nemesis.

Jayspawn
02-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Haha, I like how he jerked his head and could turn it off.

Droid
02-17-2006, 03:41 PM
"They gave us the Borg Queen who died on the Cube in All Good Things and yet was alive and well in Generations" Um, what are you talking about? The Borg were in neither All Good Things eps nor Generations. From your next mention of the ep title, I'm guessing you are confusing TNG's finale "All Good Things" with "Best of Both Worlds pt 2".

I meant to say, "They gave us the Borg Queen who died on the Cube in Best of Both World Part Two and yet was alive and well in Nemesis."

And I still say they changed what was best about the Borg. If they were going to do that they should have just made up different aliens.

JimJamBonds
02-18-2006, 12:33 AM
I didn't go into work on Thursday because of the blizzard that dumped about a foot of snow on NE Wisconsin so instead I turned on Spike! and watched a few episodes of TNG. A very good way to spend an evening. :yes:

JediTricks
02-18-2006, 03:40 PM
I meant to say, "They gave us the Borg Queen who died on the Cube in Best of Both World Part Two and yet was alive and well in Nemesis."There is more than 1 Borg cube, apparently the Queen is part of the general conciousness of the Borg (Voyager exploited this) and so unless you kill them all, you can only destroy her physical being, the ethereal part is still alive in the other Borg collectives - it may not be the exact same memories, but they're saying it's the queen. I didn't love it either, but it was an interesting idea, if Locutus can be an individual Borg that's still of the collective, why can't the collective manifest itself as a single being? Individually and as a collective mind, the Borg have too many minds and thoughts and feelings so they rely on the computer side of their nature, but the Queen is a clarified manifestation of the hive mind and can express feelings and thoughts that the many cannot.

And I still say they changed what was best about the Borg. If they were going to do that they should have just made up different aliens.What was best about them to you that wasn't in First Contact, besides the crappy spandex and cheap-looking makeup of TNG of course. ;)

scruffziller
02-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Here's another plan, why not NOT do this, let the stupid rocket go off, then wait for the Nexus ribbon to pass and have Picard go back to an even EARLIER date when he could have stopped all this rubbish whenever he wanted, or go back even FURTHER and have the Nexus *not* destroy Kirk in the first place. MAN do I hate Generations!

Yea, admittedly, Generations is rather sappy. From the weird way that the Nexus works, to Data's strange ways with his new-found emotions.:ermm: I preferred Data as having emotions in AGT, that he has them but he doesn't let them "all hang out" like he did in Generations. The abrupt uniform changes were really out of place. I seen them I was like "What the hell!!!"
Also what was the deal with the new spooky lighting in Picard's ready room!!:cross-eye It looked like a weird glow from a volcano at nighttime as you stood by the mouth of it.:confused:

JediTricks
02-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Yeah, the uniform changes were SOOOO annoying in that movie, totally random and left-field. Still, after seeing the uuuuugly designs for the movie's original costumes (check out the Playmates Generations figures, they're sporting them) I'll take the confusion over the ugly.

Picard's ready room and 10-forward were supposed to suggest how close they were to the sun, but this really didn't fly well in my book.

Data's emotions were supposed to be acting extreme in Generations because they were new to him and then because the radiation from Soran's torpedo fused it to his net and turned it on and acted all weird, but this was really not played right. Data's emotions seemed dead-on perfect in First Contact, not over the top, not in our faces, just an occasional curiosity until the Borg reactivate it and use it against him.

Oh, and I loathed the wasteful Stellar Cartography set, space is still somewhat at a premium on the Enterprise yet they can gut 2 decks to put in a 360 projector that doesn't work as well as the holodeck anyway.

Tycho
02-28-2006, 12:55 PM
You guys will find this "Picard Song" funny:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=48500866&a=1

Hopefully you'll be able to play it w/o being MySpace registered.

JimJamBonds
02-28-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't know about that 'beat' used but its not bad. :D

Tycho
03-02-2006, 12:30 PM
This one's mildly amusing: it's Star Trek vs. Star Wars. I figure I'd post the link here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hNxhrPaaCA4

Thanks again to a poster in the SW forum at MySpace.com.

I think in the end it's rather predictable, if realistic. It's still worth watching, just not that funny I guess.

JediTricks
03-02-2006, 05:08 PM
The Star Destroyer's weak a** turbolasers taking out the Enterprise shields in one burst was lame.

The Enterprise wiping out a squad of TIEs was great though, I remember that ep of TNG and it wasn't as good when it took out their little unmanned fighters.

The Star Destroyer not taking any damage from the photon torpedoes was WAAAAAY off base, made no sense. And the Star Destroyer matching the Ent's maneuvers is literally impossible, they don't use the same kind of thrust and the Star Destroyer has way more mass to contend with, making it slower and harder to maneuver than the Enterprise. And warping away from the DS's megalaser instead of evading it, no sense. Bad ending, like they ran out of ideas.

You know, I had forgotten Wes Crusher was there during the Borg encounter.

Tycho
03-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Yeah, it shows I'm a true-fan as well since I knew exactly which ST scene and SW movie they got every clip and voice-over from. :rolleyes:

It's easy to nitpick that one, but it's really only meant to be enjoyed.

This is funnier:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o47kY3ZBL3A&search=Star%20Trek%20Wars%20Enterprise%20Death%20P icard%20Vader%20Photon%20Torpedoes%20Phasers%20Des troyer

JIMJAMBONDS will appreciate the video that goes along with his new favorite song :D

JimJamBonds
03-02-2006, 11:13 PM
JIMJAMBONDS will appreciate the video that goes along with his new favorite song :D

Picard getting funky made it watchable. Nice links Tycho! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
03-03-2006, 02:48 PM
For some reason, Riker gigging out was the funniest thing about it.

Tycho
03-11-2006, 01:35 AM
I watched First Contact again tonight. Great movie. I loved how the uniforms they wore onboard the Phoenix were similar to the ones on the Enterprise TV series.

The Borg were cool in that movie. When I get to Voyager's 4th season, I'll have to see if they ruined that.

scruffziller
09-20-2006, 11:36 AM
I have been watching "The Neutral Zone" over and over. The season finale of Season 1. In this episode the Enterprise encounters a space pod that has cryostasis chambers aboard and 3 of the cryostasised people aboard survive. Later they encounter the Romulans for the first time in 53 years. It is great watching how the crew interacts with the humans from the 20th century. The Romulan sitting on the left (Cmdr. Tabok) is none other than Mark Alaimo who we knew better as Gul Dukat on DS9. He also played one of the Cardassians we see for the first time on TNG.

Tycho
09-21-2006, 02:10 PM
That was a fun episode. Let's see if we can find a couple of low-mileage pitch-woofers and build us some memories? :thumbsup:

scruffziller
09-21-2006, 04:57 PM
That was a fun episode. Let's see if we can find a couple of low-mileage pitch-woofers and build us some memories? :thumbsup:

I was confused when I heard it, but is that statement what I think it meant.:lipsrsealed: :D

Tycho
09-21-2006, 05:00 PM
LOL, yeah. I think it means something to do with guitars and amplifiers, but I'm not sure. I know they found and revived "survivors" from our century, but one of them had to be from the South, and who can understand what the heck some of them are talking about anyway?

scruffziller
09-22-2006, 08:52 AM
LOL, yeah. I think it means something to do with guitars and amplifiers, but I'm not sure.

That is what I thought at first but I think he meant corralling a few honeys.:lipsrsealed:

Tycho
09-17-2007, 08:42 PM
"I am Worf!
Son of Mogh!
I've come to challenge the lies spoken about my Father!"

Good stuff there. I'm onto the middle of the 3rd season and really enjoying TNG right now.

When the Klingon episodes really got going, it got really good. Plus, "The Best of Both Worlds" is coming up in the lineup.

JediTricks
09-18-2007, 05:32 AM
Any time Worf speaks, all I can picture is Michael Dorn being the only cop on CHiPs not riding a motorbike. :p

Tycho
11-01-2007, 03:32 AM
I'm re-watching my entire TNG collection and I'm just really excited about each consecutive episode in Season 5.

There are a lot of stories with the conflicts with the Romulans from their involvement with the Klingon Civil War to the attempted conquest of Vulcan. Seela is introduced, Spock guest-stars, and the Bajorans are also introduced along with Ensign Ro and the involvement of the Cardassians is stepped up.

I love the war shows that are heavily laden with intergalactic politics. Star Trek's wars are justified and we in the audience have all the information necessary to see that.

I just mean to clarify that while I'm definitely NOT a pacifist (I get my thrills more in line with how the show presents Klingon characters), I'm not a hawkish fool in the real world.

Meanwhile, I'm curious how many other Season 5 (or post-Season 5) fans are out there that enjoyed the series even more when they stepped up the action?

DarthQuack
12-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Fans of the series.....found a deal on the complete series for only $99!!

http://www.gohastings.com/product/MOVIE/Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-The-Complete-Series/sku/243925230.uts?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=statusupdate&utm_campaign=Twitter

Probably won't be around long, so jump on it if you can!

JediTricks
12-15-2010, 04:59 AM
Out of stock, it dropped to $69.99, and at that price it won't last long. Great find though.

I watched an episode yesterday of TNG with my sister actually, who isn't really into Trek. It was Tapestry, and we really enjoyed it, she got into it, got mad when I accidentally spoiled what happens to Picard once he makes the changes he does. Unfortunately, the ep was followed by the TOS ep Conscience of the King which isn't a good followup to that, so we changed channels.

Tycho
12-20-2010, 12:01 AM
I liked Conscience of the King.

Kirk's girlfriend seems very familiar to me.