PDA

View Full Version : Building the Death Star

Kidhuman
12-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Seriously, how long does it take to build it? At the end of ROTS we see it in construction, then we see it complete in ANH. Everybody in ANH had no clue what it was. Why? Was it just completed? Does it take 20 years to build? Were they building a DS2 while at the same time they built the first one? Was Palpy going ot have a fleet of these?

Sentinel18725
12-03-2005, 12:03 AM
It has been awhile, but I believe this was addressed, at least a little, in the Zahn novels. If I remember correctly, they were built in secret in the Maw instalation and the thinking of Thrawn and Tarkin was to have a backup built. Not sure, but it sounds vaguely familiar.

Slicker
12-03-2005, 01:45 AM
I always thought they were built at the same time or maybe staggered times to learn from the first. I may have taken 20 years to build (hell its 100km around).

I recall reading that the first DS was built around the planet Despayre and when completed they tested the laser on the planet. Nice, huh?

El Chuxter
12-03-2005, 03:14 AM
The Maw Installation is actually from the Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J Anderson. It was intended to be a prototype model, but recent EU has stated it was a test platform for the weapons, built at the same time.

There's a novel scheduled for either 2006 or 2007 that's supposed to explain why it took 20 years. But what we know as of now:

Raith Seinar came up with the idea, but gave it to Tarkin.

Tarkin presented the idea to Palpatine (most likely as Darth Sidious).

Sidious had Dooku take the concept to the Geonosians for design.

At some point, Bevel Lemelisk became the chief designer.

The station was built in orbit around the planet D'spayre.

Construction was proceeding too slowly, so Vader and Tarkin used the excuse of Jedi survivors on Kashyyyk to enslave most of the Wookiees.

At some point, Admiral Daala was put in charge of the Maw Installation, where the weapons systems were fine-tuned. Qui Xux and other civilian scientists were brought on board.

The Death Star was completed, and destroyed D'spayre as a final weapons test.

Two sets of plans (which needed to be combined to reveal a weakness) were captured by the mercenary Kyle Katarn and a Rebel cell led by Bria Tharen. It's unclear which set was transmitted to the Tantive IV, but it's believed to be Tharen's set.

Kidhuman
12-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Wow, I guess I'll trail off in D'spayre.

Slicker
12-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Also, in Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina the Tonnika Sisters stole a piece of the superlaser and gave it to the Rebels who got an inkling that the Empire was making a super weapon.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-03-2005, 01:30 PM
The New Chronology talks about this, but I don't remember exactly what is said. I think it has a lot to do with learning from the first time on how to do it, which is why the DSII takes less time. But the one in ROTS is THE Death Star, not a prototype.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-03-2005, 08:08 PM
I was thinking that the scene with Vader, Palp, and Tarkin may have been sometime after the Twins were split up, though that scene is shown before they are delivered. I read somewhere in SW Insider about how much time is supposed to elapse during the real time of each movie (1 day, 2 weeks, etc.). It was alluded that the ending section of each movie (except for ROTJ) may have occured a long time after the main portion of each movie is finished. Maybe it happened years after the birth of the twins.

JimJamBonds
12-04-2005, 12:40 PM
I was thinking that the scene with Vader, Palp, and Tarkin may have been sometime after the Twins were split up, though that scene is shown before they are delivered. I read somewhere in SW Insider about how much time is supposed to elapse during the real time of each movie (1 day, 2 weeks, etc.). It was alluded that the ending section of each movie (except for ROTJ) may have occured a long time after the main portion of each movie is finished. Maybe it happened years after the birth of the twins.

I don't think it was that long, the kids were rather small still. Although it could have been a couple of months.

CaptainSolo1138
12-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Also, in Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina the Tonnika Sisters stole a piece of the superlaser and gave it to the Rebels who got an inkling that the Empire was making a super weapon.
How dumb. What next? IG88 was built into the second Death Star?:rolleyes: :D

Hexagram520
12-07-2005, 04:50 AM
also remember, the DS 2 wasn't finished, and we don't really know what happens the last few years of construction, it could be a lot of interior work and what not, so for all we know the DS 2 had 10 more years to go, they just made sure they had weapons and shields running beforehand, also in a new hope, we don't know how long the DS 1 had been finished.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Also, just as another bit of trivia, in Battlefront 2 they mention the troopers being on Mygeeto so they can secretly get stuff for the Death Star's superlaser. I think.

Kidhuman
12-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Yes, it was the Ki-Adi mission in which they went after the parts for the laser.

Kidhuman
01-18-2007, 09:38 AM
So, any clear cut answer yet on how long it takes to build one of these things?

stillakid
01-18-2007, 10:53 AM
So, any clear cut answer yet on how long it takes to build one of these things?

It depends on your contractor. Those aholes tear the roof off and don't come back for weeks.

Rogue II
01-18-2007, 11:32 AM
It appears to have taken 18 years to build the first. The second Death Star was built a heck of a lot faster than the first. The question shoud be: Where did they get the man power, droids, materials, and cargo ships to build the DSII so quickly?

It makes me wonder if the suppliers were slowing Jerjerod's progress. You would think there would be some sort of large orbiting storage yard for their materials.

Slicker
01-18-2007, 11:35 AM
The way I always saw it was that the DSII was built faster because they had experience with the first one and were able to just bypass useless portions.

They also knew where the constructin hangups were so they could concentrate on those areas.

El Chuxter
01-18-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm sure there's an EU explanation for why the first took so long.

No, really. There've already been a few stories, and a novel tying together all the contradictory info is supposed to come out sometime relatively soon.

Rogue II
01-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Of course, I'm assuming construction on DSII didn't start until after ANH. If they started prior to the descturction of the first Death Star, it would make more sense...time-wise, at least.

Rocketboy
01-18-2007, 11:59 AM
The question shoud be: Where did they get the man power, droids, materials, and cargo ships to build the DSII so quickly? Independent contractors. Do you think your average Stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main?

El Chuxter
01-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Yes.

That was the single most important facet of their training on Kamino. Because the Kaminoans understood the importance of plumbing. How do you think the Kaminoans flooded their planet? Too much TP in the toilet, caused a massive backup, planet devastated, yadda yadda.

Rogue II
01-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Independent contractors. Do you think your average Stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main?

I was going to refer to the bit from Clerks. Still, they would be sitting around with their thumbs up their armor without tons and tons of materials.

Jargo
01-18-2007, 02:21 PM
the death star's main purpose is? see it's got the laser, it has the troops, it has fighting craft aplenty. it has a large quota of prison cells. so is it a superweapon platform, a prison compound, a spacefaring starship carrier, lumbering troop transport or something else?

I can personally buy that the events at the end of each movie are possibly later in time than the movie timespan. it's like a preview of the next movie along. "next time on star wars...." only just like in those old saturday morning serials the following episode often completely disregards anything mentioned in the prior episode.

the buildng of the death star is already well under way when we see it in ROS. the reactor core and superlaser are built and there's a large frame bult that includes the equator in at lest one large section.

It can't take that long to build in terms of years. it may be big but it's all modular. tab A to slot B and so on. sort of Ikea but in metal. I think the main reason it takes so long to become operational is that the chains of command need to be put in place. the comms system alone must be a nightmare to organise. all those millions of call signs and user codes. It probably took the dianogas a while to eat all that trash produced during the build.

it's essentially a space city. and we all know rome wasn't built in a day.

i kind of think of the death star like those big naval aircraft carriers that get built and then never see active duty just pose a threat and look good in the water. it's highly possible the death star sat around being imposing above planets just by dint of having such a huge deployment of troops onboard. sparkling in the night sky above a planet probably dwarfing the orbiting moon. "that's no moon that's a space station" so the rumours f greater power probably spread and the threat becomes enough mostly. but when rebellion strikes too hard too fast and too often it's time then to use that uber weapon and make a statement to quiet restless minds. say goodbye Alderaan.

so say it takes two years to build the thing or ten. that still gives the station plenty of time to float around the galaxy being mean. the uber laser can be used on smaller targets as well like capital ships and orbiting planetary satellites. there's really no reason why the death star couldn't have been floating round for a number of years being busy until the busy became actively engaged. There's also no reason why there aren't more death stars around. they might not all have a super uber laser fitted but the concept of the space platform is sound so why not have smaller ones too. don't we see a few smaller orb shaped craft in the space around the under construction death star at the end of ROS? it was certainly depicted in the production art for that scene.

how long betwen ANH and ROJ? 2 or 3 years? that would put the DSII on the right road time wise if it takes a number of years to build a death star and the second one is even bigger.

manpower? the empire has the muscle to destroy all jedi and get away with it so making entire planets work slaves is no problem. A planet like Alderaan with no weapons and peaceful to boot.
Or maybe the Naboo. perhaps a little joke on palpatines part to enslave the people of his apprentices dead wife.
It could even have been a side project of the Kaminoans to clone burly subservient worker drones.
if the plan to develop the death star is as old as we're told then Palpatine certainly had time to organise a workforce while also organising a clone army.

jedi master sal
01-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Like an major building (in this case space station), there are hold-ups to production. Indeed the second one could have been produced sooner using some of the experienced crew from the first one.

As far as where they got the personnel, just think about it. The Emperor had a thousand thousand (1 million) worlds to pull people from to work on it.

Some was slave labor as in the Wookiees. Some was probably contracted. Some probably military personnel.

I firmly believe that BOTH death stars were under construction at the same time. Just the first one was started sooner, then probably a few months/years later the second one started construction.

Recall that there was a framework prototype Death Star hidden within the Maw. It had a working superlaser. Eventually it saw it's demise within the maw itself from being pulled into a black hole.

The second Death Star is 40km in diameter bigger than the first. (120, 160 respectively) So it most likely was several years later that the DSII was started. The designers probably figured out how to do it bigger and faster. Since the first one was well underway, they finished it and kept going with the second one.

Rogue II
01-18-2007, 06:37 PM
From starwars.com (http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/deathstarii/):

Within three years of the Death Star's demise, the Galactic Empire again proved its evil nature with the construction of a second Death Star in a remote region of space. Fortunately for the galaxy, the Empire never completed this monstrosity. Word of its construction was spread through the Rebel ranks by Bothan spies. The Alliance was able to pinpoint the exact location of Death Star's construction, and mount a pre-emptive strike to destroy the station.

It doesn't really say when consturction was started.

Like an major building (in this case space station), there are hold-ups to production. Indeed the second one could have been produced sooner using some of the experienced crew from the first one.

As far as where they got the personnel, just think about it. The Emperor had a thousand thousand (1 million) worlds to pull people from to work on it.

Some was slave labor as in the Wookiees. Some was probably contracted. Some probably military personnel.

Fine, we solved the labor issue, but if you're dragging in materials from 1 million worlds, that would require a crazy amount of very large cargo ships. Look at the size of the Death Star and compare it to any of the cargo ships seen in the films. Someone must be doing some serious hauling.

I firmly believe that BOTH death stars were under construction at the same time. Just the first one was started sooner, then probably a few months/years later the second one started construction.

Recall that there was a framework prototype Death Star hidden within the Maw. It had a working superlaser. Eventually it saw it's demise within the maw itself from being pulled into a black hole.

The second Death Star is 40km in diameter bigger than the first. (120, 160 respectively) So it most likely was several years later that the DSII was started. The designers probably figured out how to do it bigger and faster. Since the first one was well underway, they finished it and kept going with the second one.

They could have saved some time by using the same equipment that was used to manufacture the infrastructure of the 1st Death Star. I don't know. It is Science-Fantasy, so details like this probably wern't considered when the story was written.

Darth Jax
01-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Of course, I'm assuming construction on DSII didn't start until after ANH. If they started prior to the descturction of the first Death Star, it would make more sense...time-wise, at least.

if the death star is the ultimate power in the universe, why do you need 2 of them? shouldn't having one to keep planetary systems in line be enough?

stillakid
01-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Death Star comparison to real planets:

http://thrillingwonder.blogspot.com/2007/01/stars-planets-scale-comparison.html

Rogue II
01-18-2007, 10:34 PM
if the death star is the ultimate power in the universe, why do you need 2 of them? shouldn't having one to keep planetary systems in line be enough?

Because 2 is better than 1? Don't know. I've never ran a Galactic Empire.

If the first death star was the ultimate weapon, why bother making the new one 33% bigger?

Slicker
01-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Death Star comparison to real planets:

http://thrillingwonder.blogspot.com/2007/01/stars-planets-scale-comparison.html

Really interesting link, stilla. It just shows that we are insiginificant in this universe when put in a size perspective.

Rocketboy
01-19-2007, 01:34 AM
That was the single most important facet of their training on Kamino. Because the Kaminoans understood the importance of plumbing. How do you think the Kaminoans flooded their planet? Too much TP in the toilet, caused a massive backup, planet devastated, yadda yadda.In one of commentaries (AOTC?) Lucas joked that it was the Geonosians.

And it wasn't the Kaminoans that flooded the toilet. It was a Chewie.
Todays lesson: Never let a wookie poop in your bathroom.

It just shows that we are insiginificant in this universe when put in a size perspective.That's what she said.

Rocketboy
01-21-2007, 09:50 PM
http://newsaskew.com/images/weld.jpg

JimJamBonds
01-22-2007, 01:03 AM
Good stuff there RB!