PDA

View Full Version : I have to have an angigram on Tuesday and I'm scared

Tycho
12-04-2005, 02:44 PM
My health concerns are not over yet. They might have seen another aneurysm in my neck (the one I survived that burst was actually in my brain). They want to perform this rather invasive and sort of dangerous proceedure on Tuesday. I have to be admitted at 5:30AM and they are prepping me for surgery then. I'll actually have the op at 7:30, and if all goes well, could be released as early as 3pm - not requiring an overnight stay though they will not allow me to drive home.

I looked up angiograms on the web at Google and this is what I found:

http://www.vascularweb.org/_CONTRIBUTION_PAGES/Patient_Information/NorthPoint/Angiogram.html

That served to further scare me.

Tuesday is my birthday so I found it sort of poetic justice that I go out of this world the same day I came into it. I think this is my way of posting my bon-voyage post just in case.

I am looking forward to waking up surrounded by friends and family and having this one all-over-with. I'm sure that they'll be draining a blood clot in my neck or he wouldn't be doing this "just to take a look and bill my insurance." The same doctor that saved my life is doing this one, so I'm in good hands - but it's not like I was awake and chose to have the proceedure done the last time.:rolleyes:

Anyway, it helps to post about it.

Slicker
12-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Wow Josh. I really, really hope everything goes well and I hope to see you posting at 3:01 on Tuesday.

I see you returning healthy as ever. The powers that be won't let a pot stirrer like you leave us.

JediTricks
12-04-2005, 05:53 PM
That sucks Tycho, sorry to hear it. I suspect reading about all the potential problems is only going to give you a false sense of insecurity on the matter, for example, I was buying another used car recently and I was looking them up on the consumer guide website, they list all the trouble spots and recalls and stuff, and every car I searched had a few significant recalls and trouble items which made me nervous of buying them - what it doesn't tell you is how likely these things are to be a problem though, they just show you that they existed without saying that it's highly unlikely you'll get any trouble from it (unless it's a '90s Ford, man do those cars have problems galore!). So my point is, try not to read too much about the negative aspects because it's very easy to unintentionally focus on them. Look at that link you hit us up with, nowhere does it say anything about death, it says that clotting and kidney problems can cause complications but later it says those complications are "bleeding, pain, or swelling where the catheter was inserted, and pain, numbness, or coolness in your arm or leg."

I know it's scary dude, I can't imagine going through what you have, but I'm pretty sure you're gonna be celebrating your birthday on Tuesday and telling us all about it and many other things in long posts Wednesday. :p (a little levity, you know) Anyway, take it easy, and don't let this be your last post.

Oh, and I edited your post, the URL stretched the text out so I fixed it.

bobafrett
12-04-2005, 06:18 PM
The doctors told my parents that I could die on the operating table when I was 8, and if I didn't, I would most likely end up a vegatable. I seem to be doing pretty damn good for someone who wasn't given much of a chance. My point it, medicine has advanced by leaps and bounds since 1973 when I had my surgery. Trust in your doctor, he got you through the first time, just don't let him make you take so long to get back here (to your SSG family) this time!

maatu
12-04-2005, 07:01 PM
hey josh,
i hope everything is good tuesday. i know it's hard to stay positive when you have so many things on your mind. But your family and friends will pray for you. just stay strong.
for me, i had gone through some major health problems acouple of times myself over the last 32 yrs. the last one in 2002. my large and small intestine hemorraghed somewhere in between where they connect. i had seen the hospital and surgery room acouple times. family and friends prayed.But it went away just as it had started.leaving the doctors thinking. God kind of laughing in his or her way telling me,It ain't your time yet. you have another 60yrs to go.
just stay strong.

Bobby Fett
12-04-2005, 07:09 PM
I agree with JT. It seems like everything you read and hear accentuates the negative. The rate of success is astounding. The miracle of modern medicine, you know.

See you Wednesday!

Tycho
12-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Thanks for your well-wishes guys. I really don't want to do this. Last time I had the proceedure it was August 3rd and I couldn't walk good or sit down on the floor like a normal person would (when a normal person sits on the floor) for nearly into October and the pain went away by November. My computer desk is supposed to arrive December 9th I hope. That will help. I have to sit on the floor now while I type since all my office furniture and my living room couches haven't arrived yet. I may not be back online right away because it will be painful to sit, just to let you know. I think I'll pour some energy into building my office chair tonight. I can put it in the living room temporarily. It's big and cozy so I can write a 300 word essay on how it's a False-Couch while sitting in it.

JediTricks
12-04-2005, 07:32 PM
That certainly sounds sucky, but rather have this than a *really* serious problem - small comfort, I'm sure, but it's still true (unless they could do it another way, if that's the case, you should be forceful with your dr about what you want). Did you talk to your doc about how much trouble you were having with your leg? That seems like a really long time to be in pain, especially after reading what it said on that site you linked to. Perhaps you can lay down on the floor in front of your computer so you don't have to sit, but getting up might be a problem.

Tycho
12-04-2005, 08:12 PM
The getting up part is the problem. It's not a constant pain - it's a pain to walk, bend over, sit down on the floor (as opposed to a chair or couch), and get out of bed. Maybe the whole issue was due to the length of time the last proceedure took. Don't ask me. I was unconscious. But from this website info - I'll be awake during this one. I'd prefer not to be.

JON9000
12-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Godspeed Tycho!

DarthBrandon
12-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Good luck with everything Tycho, I'm sure it will be well worth it in the end & you'll be back here posting as usual. Again good luck & MTFBWY.:thumbsup:

Rocketboy
12-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Good luck Josh.
I don't want to sound like a broken record, so I'll just say I agree with what everyone had already said.
Sounds like scary stuff, but I feel confident you'll be back with us again in no time.

C5Jedi
12-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Try not to worry. I've had a relative and my father go through an angiogram before. They said it's a inconvenience/strange feeling more than anything else. With what you have been through this will be a cakewalk! You're lucky they have such proceedures in today's medical field that can determine how to help you best.

Good luck - by the way I found the message below online in a newsgroup about the proceedure.

Jeff
diane, I have had an angio gram done, and there is really nothing to much
to it....they numb the area usually in the groin first...that is the hard
part...then you just lay on an Xray table and he puts a catherter in the
sight they numbed, and you just lay there, no pain at all.....while they
take pictures, he will say now we are going to inject and you may feel very
warm for a second or 2 and feel flushed, sort of warm all over and feel like
you peed your pants, but you don't...seriously you feel like that, but it is
not bad...then they take more pictures and that is it...you lay there with a
pressure dressing over that area where he went in, and it is up to the doc
to say how long to lay...some are different...but that is it...bingo done...
As far as the cervical MRI, nothing to it...just lay there while the machine
does the work...ask for some music cause the machine makes a loud noise, are
you have an open one, take a pain pill and or relaxer pill if you can with
the pain pill before the MRI and that way you won't hurt just laying
there....I did and it was pretty good.....

El Chuxter
12-05-2005, 12:18 AM
I'd say being scared is normal, Tycho. I've never known anyone to not be scared to death of any medical procedure, even as minor as a tooth extraction. You've come through a lot in the past few months, so I'm sure that afterwards this will seem minor by comparison.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, man, and anyone else here will say the same. Looking forward to some false-posts on Wednesday. :)

LusiferSam
12-05-2005, 01:50 AM
Good luck Tycho and here's to a swift recovery. Just remember that the short term discomfort and inconvenience are far out weight by the long benefits.:thumbsup:

Kidhuman
12-05-2005, 02:17 AM
Tycho, you will be in my prayers and thoughts. ALl will go well and you will be posting aboout the 200 thousand clones that you bought on the way home from the hospital o nTuesday night.

Tycho
12-05-2005, 03:10 AM
All will go well and you will be posting aboout the 200 thousand clones that you bought on the way home from the hospital o nTuesday night.

That made me laugh. Thanks. I'm awake - sort of naucious. Probably nervous about the proceedure and how I'll feel afterward. I'm not after the Carkoon Wave, so at least I won't need to be able to run through a store for a while. Though I'd better find some more 501's while I can...

CaptainSolo1138
12-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Good luck Josh.
I don't want to sound like a broken record, so I'll just say I agree with what everyone had already said.
Exactly:thumbsup:
Hope to see you back soon, Josh. I guess the good news is that not being able to sit on the floor means that Grandma has to give up a seat for you on Christmas!;)

Droid
12-05-2005, 09:22 AM
May the Force be with you, Tycho. I'll be thinking of you.

If you can, have someone let us know how you are doing as soon as possible after your procedure.

LTBasker
12-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Just be sure to tell the nurses to help you onto the table, they had to remove my appendix a couple months ago and I basically had to do all the work when it came to getting onto the table and such. What the heck were they getting paid for? :p

No doubt it'll go without a hitch, here's hoping for a fast recovery for ya.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-06-2005, 06:11 PM
So, how'd it go? :confused:

bobafrett
12-06-2005, 06:53 PM
So, how'd it go? :confused:

Ssshhhh! I think he's still recovering. :sleeping:

InsaneJediGirl
12-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Hope everything went well Tycho! I'm sure it did.

My little brother and my grandfather have gone through those,and both turned out to be fine. :D

Tycho
12-07-2005, 03:19 AM
I'm OK. I had a pretty nurse. They did a lot to keep me comfortable. I don't remember much about the proceedure, including getting a final report from my doctor whom I will call (today) tomorrow to try to get the final facts from.

I slept through most of it. Apparently I talked to my little brother who called me after I was out but I don't remember talking to him at all!

I am sore as I feared, but I don't think it's as bad as the other time. They went in the other side as I told them how sore I was on my right side before.

I am very tired, but took a few naps today. My family joined me for a birthday cake and my adopted Mom made me pistachio cake. Yum.

In other news my high school girlfriend volunteered a kidney as well to get this over with, as rumors crop up that my brother will not be a good match for a transplant for me as he is the wrong blood type. I seriously hope we can get this all over with.

I'd have felt more like a stud if I'd gotten that nurse's phone number even while I was on the operating table.

Tonysmo
12-07-2005, 06:51 AM
Good to see you got through it bro. :thumbsup:

Whats the Hospital again? I'll get that nurses # for ya :D

Kidhuman
12-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Glad to see you up and about. Did you find those clones?

Rocketboy
12-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Welcome back a bit sooner that I expected. I figured you'd take a few days away from us geeks. ;)
Glad to hear everything went fine.

JimJamBonds
12-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Glad to hear you are doing well Tycho.

jjreason
12-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Very good to hear you came through it well, Tycho. :thumbsup:

Give that doc a big pat on the back for us next time you see him.

Tycho
12-07-2005, 03:18 PM
The nurse I liked called me! Gotta go pretty quick. She's going to call back soon (like in 2 hours she said).

El Chuxter
12-07-2005, 03:37 PM
"How Tycho Got His Groove Back," coming soon to a theater near you! :)

JediTricks
12-07-2005, 04:04 PM
"Glad you didn't die, fool! Now happy birthday and eat yo cake, sucka!" - Mr T.

:p

Slicker
12-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Give that doc a big pat on the back for us next time you see him.From the sounds of it he patted her elsewhere.:love:

bobafrett
12-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Awesome, see, no problems! Don't worry, recover happy......