PDA

View Full Version : I just got Sirius!

sith_killer_99
12-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Well, I just got Sirius radio. Sirius is a satellite radio service with nationwide coverage. They signed Howard Stern, who will permier with 2 full stations in January.

I decided to go with Sirius for a few reasons.

1. I travel a lot. With Sirius I can always find the programs I want and don't have to worry about surfing around to find new stations while I am driving.

2. Sirius offered better programing than XM, IMO. That is to say I perfered what Sirius had to offer over XM radio.

3. Replay, I went with the replay radio. This feature offeres Tivo like abilities with the ability to pause, rewind and fast forward or record up to 44 minutes of programing.

4. Internet playability. That's right, with my Sirius subscription I can listen to Sirius over the internet.

5. Commercial free programs.

6. No lame FCC regulation.

Sirius has a monthly subscription fee of $12.99 per month. However, you can also buy a subscription for the life of your radio for a flat fee of $500.00.

Yes, it is expensive, but I feel it's worth it.

Does anyone else subscribe to satellite radio? If so, which service, and how do you like it?

bobafrett
12-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Sirius has a monthly subscription fee of $12.99 per month. However, you can also buy a subscription for the life of your radio for a flat fee of $500.00.

Yes, it is expensive, but I feel it's worth it.

Does anyone else subscribe to satellite radio? If so, which service, and how do you like it?

No, but I have seen cars with the satellite radio systems in it. They have the unit on the dashboard, with a cool digital readout of which song is playing. I would like to once I get a few monetary things taken care of, do you know if you can do the lifetime $500 subscription at anytime during your life, or does it have to be now or never?

sith_killer_99
12-04-2005, 10:13 PM
The $500.00 offer ends January 31 2006.:(

UKWildcat
12-04-2005, 11:46 PM

I hope you got the extended warranty for your radio if you did the lifetime subscription.

I love Sirius and prefer it to XM as well. One of the main reasons is because Sirius has the play-by-play and such for the NFL games. The music channel I find myself listening to the most is 008. The Big 80's!!! lol Seriously... It's awesome! :D

JimJamBonds
12-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Like you SK I got Sirius a few weeks ago and so far I love it. I have about a 90 round trip drive to work, I've gotten sick of listening to music stations and talk radio and I've listened to most of my libraries books on cd. I'd been thinking about getting either Sirius or XM for a couple of years, I hadn't planned on getting it rather I just wanted to check it out but with it being "fairly cheap" I figured I'd give it a go. I like the comedy channels along with the Discovery channel as well. The music channels are great as well.

What model did you get SK? I picked up the Sportster model, I'll eventually pick up a boom box so I can listen to it anywhere. I also like the ability to listen over the internet although I have yet to do so.

sith_killer_99
12-05-2005, 05:00 AM
I bought the XACT Replay. It has the ability to pause, rewind, fast-forward, replay and also has features like:

Sirius seek: alerts you of up to 30 artist names and/or song titles.

One-Touch Jump: jumps to the traffic/weather report for one of 20 major cities or to your favorite sirius channel.

My Game Zone: lists all your favorite teams in one virtual category and allows you to select a different team from the NFL, NBA, NHL and College Sports.

Game Alert: prompts you when your favorite teams' games are being broadcast and alerts you when the scores change.

It's pretty sweet and I have just begun to play with it, but I am pretty happy so far.

The online feature is nice, but it seems to be somewhat limited compared to the actual radio. It appears that some channels are not broadcast over the net, mostly talk radio, so no big loss.:D

darthvyn
12-05-2005, 01:34 PM
i wish i had this for the past two years, having driven back-and-forth from raleigh to NY like 10 times... now that we're moving back up, i don't know if it'll make sense.

at first i thought this was about harry potter or something...

Rogue II
12-05-2005, 05:22 PM
I've been thinking about getting satellite radio since I got a new car stereo back in April. It is satellite radio ready. Is there really that big of a difference in XM's and Sirius' programming? I can't tell from their websites.

Even though Sirius seems a lot more popular, I've been leaning towards XM because they have NHL and MLB. And, since my favorite teams are on the east coast, and I'm on the west coast, I can listen to the games on my way home from work. Yes, I like the NFL, but I'm usually home on Sundays and can listen to Sirius NFL broadcast on the NFL network through my tv.

Is there really that big of a difference in their programming? I can't tell from their websites.

There was an ad I saw recently (but can't remember which satellite radio service it was for) for a satellite radio reciever that could store several hours of programming to be used like a walkman, but also go in the car.

Kidhuman
12-05-2005, 05:39 PM
My parents gfot this a few months back. I love the non stop music on it and all. I do have it on Dish Network and listen to it quite a bit in the house.

Rogue II
12-05-2005, 05:47 PM
I do have it on Dish Network and listen to it quite a bit in the house.

Direct TV just converted all their music-only channels to XM radio. If you get the NFL Network, on Sundays, during the games, they have audio from Sirius' NFL channel which jumps around from game to game. For video, they have a ticker with all the game's scores and stats.

sith_killer_99
12-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Well for one thing Sirius has an all ELVIS radio station.;)

Really, there isn't that much of a difference. Each station has their own "exclusive" content, the rest seems to be hair splitting. They both carry a lot of the same content.

The big push from Sirius right now is Howard Stern, who will have 2 stations of his own come January.:twisted:

As far as "technology" goes, I get the feeling that each side will catch up to the other. Right now my radio can record up to 44 minutes, but it's not a portable "walkman" like player.

JimJamBonds
12-06-2005, 12:12 AM
One big draw for XM (imho) is MLB, as far as NFL, NHL and NBA that isn't a big deal to me. The various channels seem to be about a wash as far as I can tell. I was leaning towards XM but the sales guy (a Best Buy dude) told me that many are going to Sirius and also that XM only has 2 satellites vs. Siruis has 8. With the 8 there is continous coverage in the US and with XM there are times when you don't have coverage because you can't get a signal. With that in mind I went with Sirius.

Rogue II
12-06-2005, 11:17 AM
One big draw for XM (imho) is MLB, as far as NFL, NHL and NBA that isn't a big deal to me. The various channels seem to be about a wash as far as I can tell. I was leaning towards XM but the sales guy (a Best Buy dude) told me that many are going to Sirius and also that XM only has 2 satellites vs. Siruis has 8. With the 8 there is continous coverage in the US and with XM there are times when you don't have coverage because you can't get a signal. With that in mind I went with Sirius.

That's good to know. I wonder where the dead zones are. One of the guys that worked for me while I was active duty was taking his Sirius to Iraq with him. I haven't heard from him, so I don't know if it works.

JimJamBonds
12-06-2005, 12:28 PM
That's good to know. I wonder where the dead zones are. One of the guys that worked for me while I was active duty was taking his Sirius to Iraq with him. I haven't heard from him, so I don't know if it works.

The guy said XM's satellites go parallel to each other while Sirius' 8 make figure 8's around the earth. So I'd think Sirius would work in Iraq. I once saw on XM's website that they say its "good" between certain lines of latitude aka continental US.

Also Rougue II I mispoke before, Sirius has NHL along with NFL and NBA, its just that those three leagues aren't a big draw for me. Although it is fun to flip between the two broadcasts of the same game.

darthvyn
12-06-2005, 01:25 PM

says here (http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/satcom_radio_operations_031112.html) that sirius has only 3 satellites, two of which are over the US at any time. sounds like no difference at all.

however, the article says that sirius leases space on another geostationary satellite to cut down on it's repeaters. whose satellite is that? do they have the ability to track me wherever i go?

JimJamBonds
12-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Interesting read there Vyn. I'd guess that my car can be tracked via Sirius but thats just my guess. Also what about cell phones? I got a new one last year and the person said in 2005 all new phones would have some sort of function on it that if you call 911 they can find you. What's interesting I've tried turing off that function but you can't.

darthvyn
12-06-2005, 05:30 PM
yeah, you can't turn off 911 gps, you can only set it to ONLY 911 gps. otherwise, apparently, ANYONE can track you with the right equipment. not only does big brother exist, but we're paying him out the nose to spy on us!

quick side note, they're doing a similar thing (as cellphones) for vonage and other VoIP services - since you can carry that phone # with you anywhere, they make it mandatory for you to update your home address for them to route the emergency call to the nearest location. that, i'm okay with, but to possibly track me while i'm driving... i dunno about that...

Rogue II
12-06-2005, 05:34 PM
It kind of reminds me of that episode of the Simpson's where Bart thinks Major League Baseball is spying on him. You guys should make some hats out of aluminum foil.

Kidhuman
12-07-2005, 01:28 AM
however, the article says that sirius leases space on another geostationary satellite to cut down on it's repeaters. whose satellite is that? do they have the ability to track me wherever i go?

It is most likely dish network sats. because we broadcast the stuff as well.

JimJamBonds
12-07-2005, 10:51 AM
The thing that I love about Sirius is the fact that I get to hear some really weird music. Last week before I went into work I heard "Here comes the Hammer" by MC Hammer. I'm not sure the last time I heard that song but it was great to hear it again (by great I mean funny :pleased: ).

JediTricks
12-07-2005, 04:08 PM
We know you own 8 pairs of parachute pants!

JimJamBonds
12-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Maybe I do and maybe I do? :D

UKWildcat
12-08-2005, 01:43 AM
It kind of reminds me of that episode of the Simpson's where Bart thinks Major League Baseball is spying on him. You guys should make some hats out of aluminum foil.

lol Thats good stuff there! lol

JimJamBonds
03-27-2006, 12:09 AM
So what is everybody's take on Sirius? I've had it now for about 4 months and I love it. Although everybody asks I don't listen so Stern. My favorite channels are the three comedy channels, Discovery and any good song I can find on channels 1-43.

2-1B
03-27-2006, 02:25 AM
I refuse to get serious.

JimJamBonds
03-27-2006, 12:06 PM
We are all aware of that! :p

dr_evazan22
03-28-2006, 02:29 PM
I mainly listen to 21, AltNation, altrnative. I occasionally listen to 22 (1st wave alternative), 20 (Octane, Pure Hard Rock), 19 (Buzzsaw, Classic Hard Rock), and 25 Little Steven's Underground Garage).

All of that, of course, when I'm not listening to Howard.

While I definitely really like the content on Sirius, I don't think it's exactly 100% what I want to hear. On my computer I have iTunes (but not an iPod), on which i've put my 500 or so CD's, with everything from Mozart to Metallica. I like the variety there (my iTunes), but there's no new content, except for when I download more music.

JimJamBonds
03-29-2006, 12:28 AM
What do you think about Scott Farrell now being on Howard 101? Personally I can't stand the guy.

dr_evazan22
03-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Ya know, I only listen to Howard. The only thing I occasionally listen to on his 2 channels other than Howard is the recap show, which is usually only about 1/2 hr. So I don't listen to Scott Farrell or Bubba the Love Sponge (or the Howard100 News).

JimJamBonds
03-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Howard news is a total joke! They had a "story" last week about the various members of the show going to town on the vending machines at Sirius. I'm glad I now know that nugget of info! I guess its good they keep replaying the show on 100 now and between Buba and Farrell being there is less bogus news on 101 (when I happen to stop there).

El Chuxter
03-29-2006, 02:22 PM
How many times now has Slicker's mom been on Howard Stern now?

JimJamBonds
03-30-2006, 12:21 AM
While I definitely really like the content on Sirius, I don't think it's exactly 100% what I want to hear. On my computer I have iTunes (but not an iPod), on which i've put my 500 or so CD's, with everything from Mozart to Metallica. I like the variety there (my iTunes), but there's no new content, except for when I download more music.

I agree with you 100%. I once heard Stern mention that iPod can't deliver on the quanity of music that Sirius can and I agree with him there. The diference is with an iPod you can listen to specific songs whenever you to not listen to the 80's channel waiting to hear "Walk Like an Egyptian." I thought about getting an iPod but I decided to go with the ability to have more choices vs. the ability to listen to specific songs when I want to listen to them. Is there any way to download songs off of Sirius (when listening on your computer)???????

JediTricks
03-30-2006, 09:52 PM
Anybody know how Stern's ratings are doing since the move? Nobody I know in the "real world" has satellite radio and it's like all conversation about Stern has disappeared in the last 3 months, not that I'm really surprised though.

Rogue II
02-19-2007, 05:33 PM
XM and Sirius may be about to merge (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070219/ap_on_bi_ge/xm_radio_sirius;_ylt=AiOxojiZFLBvwQScGazB_vDMWM0F)

I have XM, and I'm happy with it. It's not a done deal yet, but I wonder what would happen to the programming.

JediTricks
02-19-2007, 06:10 PM
I wonder if they'd keep supporting both brands' technologies.

JimJamBonds
02-20-2007, 12:27 AM
XM and Sirius may be about to merge (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070219/ap_on_bi_ge/xm_radio_sirius;_ylt=AiOxojiZFLBvwQScGazB_vDMWM0F)

I have XM, and I'm happy with it. It's not a done deal yet, but I wonder what would happen to the programming.

Many of the music stations are the same so that would wipe out a good chunk of the channels. I'd say Stern, Opera, Martha Stewart, NY Symphony Orchestra and the other 'specific' channels would stay in the combined broadcast.

Rogue II
02-20-2007, 01:07 AM
When I'm driving, I usually listen to the NHL and comedy channels, and if there isn't anything on those, I switch to music. I'm not really worried about the music, and it appears they have similar comedy channels. My biggest concern is the sports. NFL is exclusive to Sirius and MLB is exclusive to XM. XM also has a 24/7 NHL channel, where Sirius only broadcasts games.

JimJamBonds
02-20-2007, 01:15 AM
I (would hope) those sports will continue to be on the combined radio. Each company invested heavily to get those rights so I don't see it going away (or at least I hope so).

As for me I have a Sporster model so I can listen to the regular radio or a cd (or even sometimes a tape!) and I can also scan Sirius to see whats on, if something cool comes up then I'll pop over and listen there.

JimJamBonds
02-20-2007, 10:16 AM
I received this email today from Sirius about the merger......

February 19, 2007

To: SIRIUS Subscribers

Today is a very exciting day for SIRIUS customers. As you may have heard,
SIRIUS Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio are merging to form the nation's
premier audio entertainment provider.

This combination of our two offerings will benefit you - our loyal listeners.
As a single company, we'll provide superior programming to you every day with the best of both SIRIUS and XM. Currently, XM and SIRIUS broadcast a wide range of commercial-free music channels, exclusive sports coverage, news, talk, and entertainment programming. Howard Stern. Oprah and Friends. The NFL. MLB. NBA. ESPN. CNBC. Fox News. Additionally, the combined company will be able to improve existing services such as real-time traffic information and rear-seat video as well as introduce new ones.

After shareholder and regulatory approvals, we anticipate that the combination will be finalized by the end of 2007. Until then, both companies will continue to operate independently. We will continue to provide you with the uninterrupted service - as well as the outstanding customer support - that you have come to expect and enjoy from SIRIUS. We do not anticipate any changes in your service during the merger process, however, please call our customer care team on 1- 888-539-7474 should you have any questions.

We look forward to the many benefits this combination will offer and continuing to make your listening experience an enjoyable one - offering more of the Very Best Radio on Radio.

Stay tuned,

Mel Karmazin, CEO

Rogue II
02-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Here is XM's version of the same letter.

February 20, 2007

Dear XM Radio Subscriber:

We want to share with you some exciting news: Yesterday, in Washington DC, we announced XM Radio will be merging with Sirius Satellite Radio to form the premier digital audio service.

The merger will create a satellite radio company that will provide consumers across the country with more and better premium radio programming. The combined company will be able to compete better in what has become a very complex and dynamic entertainment market.

Where today our exclusive contracts mean you had to choose between baseball and football or Oprah and Martha Stewart, the new company will seek to ensure that in the future, you will be able to access both companies' programming. And, once we are fully integrated, those of you who have factory-installed satellite radio will no longer be limited to the programming provided by the exclusive satellite radio service chosen by their car manufacturer.

This merger should be completed in late 2007 or early in 2008. Throughout the year, we will provide updates on how the merger is progressing and information will be available at our website, www.xmradio.com.

Between today and the merger date, as well as during the period immediately after the merger date, all of your services will remain the same. The channel lineup, the customer service number, the great music technology, and the XM Radio web site will all remain unchanged and there will be no disruption to service. But, if you have questions, information will be available and maintained on our website, and you can contact our Listener Care team at 800-XMRADIO, with questions and concerns.

XM Radio continues to be committed to providing you the highest quality audio entertainment and customer service available today. After the merger, our new company will be able to offer you the most exciting listening experience in radio.

Sincerely,

Hugh Panero
CEO, XM Satellite Radio