PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft sued over alleged Xbox 360 glitch

Rogue II
12-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Microsoft sued over alleged Xbox 360 glitch (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051205/tc_nm/media_xbox_dc)

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Chicago man who bought Microsoft Corp.'s new Xbox 360 has sued the world's largest software maker, saying the new video game console has a design flaw that causes it to overheat and freeze up.

The proposed class action claims that in Microsoft's bid to gain share in the $25 billion global video game market, the company was so intent on releasing the Xbox 360 before competing next-generation machines from Sony Corp and Nintendo Co Ltd. that it sold a "defectively designed" product.

Robert Byers, who brought the suit, said the power supply and central processing unit in the Xbox 360 overheat, affecting heat-sensitive chips and causing the console to lock up.

Microsoft spokeswoman Molly O'Donnell on Monday said the company does not comment on pending litigation.

Complaints about the problem surfaced quickly on gaming enthusiast Web sites after the Xbox 360 debuted on November 22.

Console owners reported that some systems had crashed during regular use as well as during online game play using the Xbox Live service. Problems included screens going black and the appearance of a variety of error messages.

At the time O'Donnell told Reuters: "We have received a few isolated reports of consoles not working as expected."

She declined to say how many reports Microsoft had received and said that calls reporting the issue to the company represented a "very, very small fraction" of units sold.

The lawsuit, filed on Friday in federal court in Illinois, seeks unspecified damages and litigation-related expenses, as well as the replacement or recall of Xbox 360 game consoles.

Now there is the reason you don't buy new technology right away. Some other gaming website(could have been IGN) that their esitmate was that 10-15% of the Xboxes are glitched.

The PS2 had a problem (although not as serious) with the disc read error on the early models, but Sony fixes it for free. I know because I had to send mine in twice.

Slicker
12-05-2005, 04:51 PM
I just got done reading this a couple of minutes ago. Does this guy think he's the only one with this problem? Nothing is perfect, especially new technology, so this should've been expected. This is the typical America nowadays. I guess anymore s**t just doesn't happen.

On a sidenote, my roommate got his 360 today and had to take it back because he had this error. Why couldn't this guy just do the same? My roommate didn't bi**h or anything. He just took it back to the store and I believe got on the next shipping date.

Lord Malakite
12-05-2005, 05:29 PM
This is the typical America nowadays. I guess anymore s**t just doesn't happen.
I bet he wins too if McDonald's coffee has taught us anything. If it was me I couldn't really care to sue Microsoft for defective merchandise just as long as they were willing to repair/replace the system free of charge and the thing didn't instantaneously catch fire thus burning my home down.

Captain Spoon
12-05-2005, 05:29 PM
The 1st XBOX did this also. It goes to show you don't camp out outside Target to buy a frigg'n $400 machine that hasn't ben tested on the open market yet. Actually this guy is probobly one of the schmucks thath paid $A GRAND$ for the thing on Ebay

sith_killer_99
12-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Sounds like this guy may have an axe to grind...maybe he's on the payroll of Sony.lol

starwarsfan1
12-05-2005, 07:59 PM
This is why I own a PS2 and a Gamecube and why I laugh at how stupid americans can be. This guy needs to take a chill pill and buy a f*****g new system. As far as Xbox goes Microsoft should just stick to there computers and leave the video games to the big boys. The only reason people love Xbox is because of Halo. If it didnt have Halo it would have died within a year or two. The system is just not worth the $400. The PS3 and Nintendo Revolution will own and the Xbox 360 will be left in the dust.(Apologies to any Xbox fans out there).

Blue2th
12-05-2005, 09:39 PM
I know this guy who bought every Gunship, Tac ops Trooper, Mcfarland Tiki, anything he could turn a profit on (yeah I bought a Jedi Temple Assault from him) Just so he could camp out in front of Best Buy and buy an Xbox that probably doesn't work.

Turbowars
12-05-2005, 10:47 PM
I tell you one thing If I would have known these 360's were going on sale on the 22'd I would have waited in line to make a few Hundred bucks! I can't believe the amount these systems are selling for. It's ridiculous. I have a PS2 and haven't played it for 2 years, I just don't care anymore.

JetsAndHeels
12-05-2005, 11:11 PM
That really sucks for the guy, but he shouldn't sue for it...I mean this problem has happened to other 360 owners but they don't want to take legal action. Geez, what is going on nowadays.
I am happy to say my system works fine. I have played it alot and it is really a great video game system. I cannot wait to see what next year holds as far as new games for it. I am currently playing Madden and Perfect Dark Zero and I am very happy with them.

MajikNinja
12-06-2005, 05:32 PM
i dont see what the big deal about getting new systems right away... i find it funny. it just proves that patiants can do some good.