PDA

View Full Version : Oh, you poor, poor completists.

Slicker
12-05-2005, 03:44 PM
I saw this pic over at RS. It shows how many different Boba Fett hologram variations have been released thus far and the line has just started to appear.

I feel bad for you guys. (http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2005/boba-saga-017.jpg)

Rogue II
12-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Yeah, you know some of those fool completists are going to go out and buy 12 versions of the same figure to get all the possible combinations of the mini-figure--and that's not counting any variation in packaging. You know Hasbro can't get through a line without changing at least one figure's packaging ever so slightly.

Kidhuman
12-05-2005, 04:42 PM
If you can get all 12 in different packages it isnt so bad, but if cetrtain ones go with certain figures, yo're screwed.

Rogue II
12-05-2005, 05:09 PM
The way I read it, it seems as if all the mini-figures will be randomly inserted with each of the basic figures. There is no rhyme or reason behind any of the pairings. They talk about it in today's Q&A on GH. So, theoretically, if a completist wants every possible combination of figure and mini-hologram figure, they would have to buy 12 versions of each 3 3/4" figure.

When I go to purchase figures from this line, I will try to only buy the OT 3 3/4" figures with OT holo-figs. But, if there is only one Cliff Clavin figure left and he has a Queen Amidala hologram, I'm going to buy it. In the end, I don't care if I get all of the holograms.

El Chuxter
12-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Poor completists? Keep in mind that every completist who's picking up twelve of each figure means that there are eleven less of that figure for the rest of us. :(

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-05-2005, 05:51 PM
I think there are six combinations, as the "good guys" come with "good guy" holograms and the "bad guys" come with "bad guy" holograms.

The most disturbing thing about this is that these figures are already out there. :dead:

bobafrett
12-05-2005, 05:59 PM
:whip: That's it, I give up, Hasbro has cured me of my completists ways. Damn you Hasbro. :whip: :upset:

sith_killer_99
12-05-2005, 06:02 PM
I suppose it all depends on your view of "completist".

I consider these to be lame variations, nothing more. I do suppose there will be people with more money than brains who go out and hunt down all 6 variations of each figure. But they will be few and far between.

Personally I will buy one of each carded basic figure regardless of what stupid pack in Hasbro crams inside the package. I will not bother collecting the mini holo figures.

Yes, I still consider myself a completist.:D

Lord Malakite
12-05-2005, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't be so bad if Hasbro actually took the effort to hide which figure you got unless you opened it. Out of sight, out of mind. Then to make it easy for people who would like a complete set of mini holos, offer them as a set in a mail-in promo/Fan Club deal. Only in a perfect world I suppose.

I can already see these things being easily stolen as well. The opening looks big enough for it.:whip:

starwarsfan1
12-05-2005, 06:48 PM
I am a completist my self but I dont go as far as buying the same figure 6 times over just because it comes with a different hologram figure. I mean its stupid and a waste of money. I only make exceptions for major variations like the # 6 clone trooper and such.

wedge1968
12-05-2005, 06:59 PM
I'd actually be surprised to learn that people are going to end up buying six or more of the same figure. Does anyone know anyone who plans to do this?

It is true, though: If people do, it'll be even harder to get one for the rest of us.

LTBasker
12-05-2005, 07:06 PM
If only villain figures come with villain holos, that would be cool. Right now, despite trying to be somewhat completist there is no way on Earth I'm buying 6-12 of each figure. Especially since theres figures in this line I don't even want to buy 1 to open, I will be buying carded extras though. The way I'll be doing it is picking out the holos which are most connected to the character in question and doing a "complete" set like that.

If they're doing villain/villain hero/hero combinations though that makes it even easier. The biggest issue is finding the figures that come with a specific holo figure.

Personally I take some offense to the completist bashing, but I know theres people out there who take it way too far. This isn't just bad for completists though, this is also bad if you're even just trying to get one specific holo character paired up with a figure and the regular figure in question could have a HORRIBLE paintjob. This makes it harder to find decent paintjobs, even for people who just buy one copy of each figure.

Bad enough we have to deal with BS like taped flaps, but also random crap. Huge slap in the face. If it weren't for the good figures like Bren Derlin, Veers, AT-AT Driver, Boussh, etc. I wouldn't even support the line.

TheDarthVader
12-05-2005, 07:08 PM
I am going to buy one of each figure. These new figures are great! It seems as though Hasbro is finally trying harder to give us good sculpts with EVERY figure they produce.

B.
TDV

Blue2th
12-05-2005, 07:41 PM
I aggree with you LT. I will be looking for a Holo connected with the figure. I'm sure that General Veers with Vader Holo will be the most sought after. He is the one most of my friends want. Then to get him with the Holo Vader is perfect. As far as anything else. I myself will not be buying every variation. Now something to look for would be an Error. That would be a good Holo guy in a bad guy package and vise-versa. Watch it'll happen. I'll bet with Hasbro's quality control lately we might see a few of them.

Sentinel18725
12-05-2005, 07:43 PM
How about this.....try to come up with the most appropriate hologram for the figure. For example, Boba Fett with Boba Fett (easy), Chewbacca with Yoda (since Yoda climbed all over Chewie in ROTS), etc. Anybody?

jedibear
12-05-2005, 07:54 PM
"How to kill a collection"

Anybody remember Playmates "Star Trek" collection from a few years back?
It went south when they started doing variations, limited runs and rare figures that not everyone had the opportunity to collect. The end result: the line quickly died long before interest in Trek did...

Granted, we've had a variation of the "rare" figure issue collecting Star Wars with retailer exclusives and different paint apps (especially this year with the clones) but for the most part, it wasn't too difficult to aquire the various exclusives (except for those of us out of reach of certain retailers (cough, Target, cough)).

But this new "variation" adds a different wrinkle to the fabric of collecting...
Now I personally am more interested in the figure itself instead of the little "holo" figure bonus...I'll take whatever one comes with the figure I'm buying. But for those who pride themselves on having a complete collection, Hasbro is offering a very expensive slap in the face and dent in the wallet.

I would think in a non-movie year, a year when any major consumer interest in the saga may wane, that Hasbro would hopefully lean more towards the collector as well as the kid. Yes, it appears that with what figures they've announced so far favors the collectors with new & improved renditions of characters (that amazing Veers, a fan-fave Derlin), cost-cutting measures of re-issues to keep the collection alive, and a good-looking new cardback and banner to keep the line fresh...

But for force's sake, Hasbro...heed the lessons of your competitor's past and avoid alienating your collector base with some expensive, unreachable way to maintain a complete collection...

Bobby Fett
12-05-2005, 08:38 PM
I'd actually be surprised to learn that people are going to end up buying six or more of the same figure. Does anyone know anyone who plans to do this?

Always have, always will. To me that's the whole point of collecting. If you only buy one of each, that's shopping, not collecting. :yes:

Turbowars
12-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Well, I can give a rats @ss about these holo figures and I wont be considering them when I buy the figures. They aren't variants, so I can't see having 12 of each figure when they are identical from the front and back but a .01 hunk of blue plastic.

figrin bran
12-06-2005, 01:08 AM
i think i might want to complete a loose set of the holos! someone talk me out of it, especially since i'm usually not a completist.

jedi master sal
12-06-2005, 08:17 AM
Okay fellas, don't get in a panic too much.

Realistically, with 50+ figures coming out next year and if it's true that there are only 12 holos, then the chances of us getting a complete set of the holos (not 6 or 12 of each figure, just 1 of each holo) is not just good, but almost a guarantee. In fact, I'd venture to say that this time next year you'll see sets or singles of these holos up on eBay as openers will have extras that they'll want to get rid of.

I can say that this is one time I'm DEFINITELY glad to be an opener. Not that I'm looking to put my extras up on eBay, but rather that I won't be obsessed at finding each "variation." More likely that I'll use my extras in trades with other collectors.

-Sal

Kidhuman
12-06-2005, 09:02 AM
i think i might want to complete a loose set of the holos! someone talk me out of it, especially since i'm usually not a completist.

You dont need them all firgin. <waves hand> stop giving into to the Hasbronian dark side

JEDIpartner
12-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Poor completists? Keep in mind that every completist who's picking up twelve of each figure means that there are eleven less of that figure for the rest of us. :(

That's exactly what I was *****ing about yesterday!!! Besides... the grand days of these things being worth anything "on card" are beyond over with. Anyone who thinks they will be able to retire or vacation on the sale of a variant is a fool.

LTBasker
12-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Actually I think complete carded sets just look really nice when hung up in a display on the wall. Especially around other carded sets, even the ugliest packaging like the ROTS stuff looks good with a whole bunch of'em hanging up at once.

samskull
12-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Let's see...

Hasbro makes 12 different figures...packages 12 "pack-ins" inside these 12 figures. Each customer buys 12 figures.

Hasbro makes 1 figure with 12 different "pack-ins". Each customer buys 12 figures.

Hasbro makes 12 different figures...mixes 12 different "pack-ins" inside these figures "randomly (?!)". Each customer potentially buys 144 figures.

Makes perfect marketing sense to me. Plus just think of the energy created by the collectors out their on the hunt! "Like shooting fish in a barrel!"

Good hunting!

Devo
12-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Actually I think complete carded sets just look really nice when hung up in a display on the wall. Especially around other carded sets, even the ugliest packaging like the ROTS stuff looks good with a whole bunch of'em hanging up at once.

I don't really agree. Carded collections don't do it for me - an OTC collection maybe but anything else just looks bland. I much prefer open collections especially where people have gone to some lengths to do film accurate dioramas.

The only holograms I need are ones that were in the films in the size and poses as they appeared in the films. mini-vader with arms on hips, full-size captain Needa and doomed star destroyer captain, appropriate jedi holograms, mini Nute Gunray and Rune Haako, full size Maul, destroyer droid etc.

Slicker
12-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Poor completists? Keep in mind that every completist who's picking up twelve of each figure means that there are eleven less of that figure for the rest of us. :(I wasn't really giving them sympathy Chux. It's more of a "look what you guys got yourselves into" type of thing. I find it highly amusing that Hasbro is doing these holograms with no rhyme or reason as to who they get packed with. I could care less which hologram I get as when they're hanging on a wall you can't even see them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-06-2005, 04:26 PM
I could care less which hologram I get as when they're hanging on a wall you can't even see them.

Good point. Is anyone here actually planning to get all these? How are you going to display these?

Getting a complete set is almost as silly as getting every POTF2/EI .00 and .01 variation. :rolleyes:

Ji'dai
12-06-2005, 05:11 PM
I don't have any use for these things now but I probably would've liked them if I were a youngling and still played with my toys as I once did.

Some holos may not be movie accurate but I quickly tired of reliving the movies with my toys anyway, preferring to create new adventures for them. Having mini holos for each character might've been fun.

That said, I doubt too many of the rare ones will filter down to kids with the competition they get from us adult collectors and speculator/scalper riff-raff. And there's no way you're gonna get mom to buy you twelve of the same figure anyway.

Tycho
12-07-2005, 07:55 AM
OK, let's be reasonable. Those of you with completist OCDs get together here on the forums and just set aside that money you have for 12 variations of each figure and just BUY Hasbro. Once you control a majority of the shares, you'll control the company. Then get yourself some free product samples and knock this crap off!

I won't be supporting you in anything but spirit. I am so glad I do not have any desire to have even one version of each of the figures. I think I'm getting no Carkoon wave and just Derlin, Veers, and a Gonk from the Hoth wave. Later waves might see me buy more (2 Cody's for example).

I think the completists are really "out there" and Hasbro should plan on losing customers for subjecting them to traumatic stress disorder.

Devo
12-07-2005, 10:31 AM
OK, let's be reasonable. Those of you with completist OCDs get together here on the forums and just set aside that money you have for 12 variations of each figure and just BUY Hasbro. Once you control a majority of the shares, you'll control the company. Then get yourself some free product samples and knock this crap off!

:thumbsup: I like this thinking.

But how can you be happy with the POTF2 Bib Fortuna????!!! :D

Kidhuman
12-07-2005, 03:30 PM
But how can you be happy with the POTF2 Bib Fortuna????!!! :D

Nobody really is, thats why we been begging for a new one. Its just I dont want 12 of them because they have to have the stupid packins, and nobody should