PDA

View Full Version : When the new figures hit

DeathStarPlans
01-20-2002, 10:29 PM
So how many here are going to try to complete the first intial wave of figures like we did back on May 3rd of 1999. Boy was that fun. Who is already saving their money to buy it all again? :stupid:

GNT
01-20-2002, 10:35 PM
I'm not buying them all,maybe a few but mainly the vehicles are what I'm going for :)

Beast
01-20-2002, 11:29 PM
It's Star Wars, so I must support it. So, I will buy alll the 4" figures, the deluxe figures, and the vehicles. After all, only with support will we see numerous re-sculpts so that we can get some non action poses.

I think I'm out of the 12" collecting club, unless they change the bodies and start doing something differnt with them. I may pick up a Clone Trooper or a Dooku, but I won't be buying them all.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Obi-Don
01-21-2002, 01:32 AM
I think my buying all I can get days are over. I to am going for the ships and just the figures I like.

LTBasker
01-21-2002, 02:04 AM
I dunno... The E2 figures just don't seem worth alot, I think I'll just steadily by'em over time instead of trying to grab up every new one at once like with other figures. Like maybe try 1-2 figures a week, maybe a little more, not sure.

bigbarada
01-21-2002, 02:22 AM
As I've stated many times before I don't plan to buy any of the initial figures and vehicles/beasts that we have seen thus far (with the possible exceptions of Jango and a Slave 1).

I'm hoping that there will still be some OT figures released during the Ep2 deluge. I will keep an eye out for those. Namely Ephant Mon (once I get him and a better removable helmet Vader I can retire from collecting completely).

Bad figures based on a classic movie I can stomach. Bad figures based on an untested movie I have no patience for.

yaddle yodas love pu
01-21-2002, 07:53 AM
I am going to get the ships. If the figures were 1/2 way decent, I'd have gotten them all. However pretty much all of them are bow-legged and have really low detail and look cartoonish. I will therefore only buy select figures that don't look so bad, however it does not appear that I will buy many figures based upon what I've seen on the internet.

CrossWizard
01-21-2002, 09:27 AM
So far Im only going to get Obi Wan, the Jedi Starfighter and Dooku, then after the movie is released and they start putting out better resculpts I may get more motivated.

jedimasterskip
01-21-2002, 02:26 PM
I will be buying all the new figures that are put out. I don;t pretend to have all that is SW, but I do like having the complete run of the figures. Ships and beasts do not thrill me unless they come with a pack in. I like what I have seen thus far for the E2 offering.

El Chuxter
01-21-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by DeathStarPlans
Who is already saving their money to buy it all again? :stupid:

Me! Me! Me! :crazed:

Seriously, my experiences lately have taught me not to pass up any Star Wars figure when I find them. And with books and soundtracks and everything (I assume) coming out at once, I'd better start saving. :D

pthfnder89
01-21-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Namely Ephant Mon (once I get him and a better removable helmet Vader I can retire from collecting completely).

A new Removable Helmet Vader? What don't you like about the current one BigBarrada? I think most people consider it to be one of the best SW figs produced so far.

bigbarada
01-21-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

A new Removable Helmet Vader? What don't you like about the current one BigBarrada? I think most people consider it to be one of the best SW figs produced so far.

Outdated sculpting (compare it to the quality of the new EW Vader) and I would prefer a double cloth cape and two-piece removable helmet. I've dreamed about this figure since I was 10 (1983!!) and have had plenty of time to envision how cool he could look. While the POTF2 version was good for it's time, it has been overshadowed by the newer POTJ releases. I think he is the most important figure of the OT, so a resculpt is needed to make sure he stays the best figure in the line.

Besides, Slave Leia got a resculpt, so why not?

Obi-Dan Kenobi
01-21-2002, 09:24 PM
I'll do what I've always done....Just buy the ones I like and leave the rest.

sith_killer_99
01-22-2002, 03:04 AM
Well, it all depends on a couple of things.

First, Hasbro is claiming that the price per figure will be $2-$3 cheaper than current POTJ figs.

I'll believe it when I see it. Retailers are WAY TOO GREEDY.:greedy: And after the EP1 fiasco they want payback.

Second, how do they look up close in the package?

I will no longer buy one to open and one for MOMC. If they look good in the package I will buy 'em right away. If they look like peg warmers, I will wait.
;)

So, if price is cheaper and figures look good in the package I will buy 1 of each. I also plan on buying an extra of my favorites to open.:sur:

Which, from the looks of it, will only be like 2-3 openers.:rolleyes:

And NO ships on the first run. MAYBE, later. But since there won't be any "Exclusives" the ships will be around for a while.

Besides, I will be spending too much money on the "Exclusive" Ships/Vehicles over the next 2-3 months.:(

TIE Bomber
AT-ST Walker
Snowspeeder

How much money do they think we have? Oh well, at least we are still getting SOME cool new stuff.:rolleyes:

boss nass
01-22-2002, 04:53 AM
maybe 1 ship 1 creature and 3 figures the first week then 1 figure a week and 1 ship or creature a month still gotta keep focus on potj stuff too

JetsAndHeels
01-22-2002, 09:34 AM
As I did in 1999, I will buy them all. Of course the first ones I go for will be Jango, Dooku, Zam Wessell. Gotta have the Slave I and the Jedi Starfighter, of course. I love Star Wars and I will continue to support it in every way I possibly can. So at midnight on April 22nd I will rush into TRU, and cram as many of those figures, vehicles, etc into my basket. I can't wait.

pthfnder89
01-22-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada

Outdated sculpting (compare it to the quality of the new EW Vader) and I would prefer a double cloth cape and two-piece removable helmet. I've dreamed about this figure since I was 10 (1983!!) and have had plenty of time to envision how cool he could look. While the POTF2 version was good for it's time, it has been overshadowed by the newer POTJ releases. I think he is the most important figure of the OT, so a resculpt is needed to make sure he stays the best figure in the line.

Besides, Slave Leia got a resculpt, so why not?

Good point. Cloth caped Vaders are always the best way to go.

Lman316
01-22-2002, 03:14 PM
I'll probably do what a lot of you are going to do: pick out what I like and leave the rest. I always seem to like the Sith Lords, so I'll have to get a Dooku (and I hope they'll release a better one than the deluxe version) and probably Jango Fett (even though I can't stand that pose). I might buy a Jedi Starfighter and a Slave 1 too.
But everything else I'm just going to wait and see what they look like up close.

Tycho
01-22-2002, 03:58 PM
My take on this hobby is to recreate the movie with toys (in permanent display dioramas). So I will continue the tradition I carried on for the other movies.

(I'm so out of room that scenes are in my cereal cupboards so I can temporarily space them out and see how many droids I need, etc.) Ultimately, the E2 stuff will go in boxes until I have a bigger place to display all my collection. Until then:

I have re-scripted the plot I've gathered from spoilers to boil down to scenes with the action figures. I counted how many times I'd pose Jango in that squatting stance (as if I had a choice) and it was 7 times, out of 15 times I'll use his figure. I'll figure out the counts I need of the other figures in a similar fashion as they ship, buy them all if it's not an outrageous quantity like the clone trooper (less I'll wait for a clearance sale).

For my other 8 Jango's, I'll wait for the resculpts and hope I get something I can use (or I won't buy it).

So on April 22, I'll have an agenda and a pre-composed shopping list. If demand and anticipation is so down - as it seems indicated by posters on this site, then I'll have an easy time getting it. If not, I'll go out a few times at 7 in the morning and finish off the rest that I missed.

Right now it has become just another thing to do - like take out the trash or run my laundry. I really anticipate the day I can assemble some scenes from what I hope will be a great movie. Then I will really appreciate these figures (I hope).

Dryanta
01-22-2002, 04:03 PM
I'll do what I've always done,Buy them all.After 4 movies worth of toys around the house,how can I stop now?I'm afraid I'm hooked good or bad.I can sit here and say If Hasbro doesn't smarten up I'll stop buying or switch toy lines but I'd be lying.I think the same is true for most of you.

Wolfwood319
01-22-2002, 05:09 PM
I'm getting to the point where I don't want to waste as much money on Star Wars as I did for the last 5 years. I don't have the interest or desire to go from store to store looking for the stuff. I've only gotten about half of the POTJ figs, no E1 stuff, and the E2 stuff doesn't interest me.

My interest in Star Wars has been diminishing for the past months, and less and less am I interested in these things. The only one I even remotely want is the preview Jango, and possibly the new Slave I.

This hobby is near an end I believe, I don't think there are enough fans around to keep up the line in upcoming non-movie years, and I predict the E2 line will fail just as E1 did.

Tycho
01-23-2002, 03:04 AM
Wolfwood: I don't think I agree, and I hope that I won't eventually have to.

For one - I've been getting my Imperial Officer wave figures from Yestertoys.com, so "the getting them" hasn't been too difficult to obtain the quantities that I personally buy in.

If they go out of business because they end up with too many FX-7's leftover from my pickings, somebody else will replace them. (But I really have loved doing business with them and hope they stick around for a while.) I doubt FX-7 will shelf-warm even there. He'll just be a little slower with the Black Travel Queen.

But let's wait and see what happens with the preview figures. Bo Shek's wave I want shockingly limited numbers of - 1 or 3 Bo's, 1 Teebo, and 2 R4's probably. So I'll just order this or find it all in one hunt when it hits.

I could but don't go out at 7am on my way to work. When stuff is actually shipping, I will again - as well as make connections or get help from existing ones. But stuff isn't out yet due to store inventories and after-Christmas strategies. I bought for my friend and myself Amanaman and Leia all in one day - 5 Amanamans and 3 Leia's. Done. Easy. And not too long ago.

I did find the FX-7 wave at retail in Walmart. I did not get 6 Imps though and ordered online. In the stores I came up with 1 Imp, 1 Rebel, 3 Queens (I wanted 4), and FX-7 (I only wanted 1). So I finished my list at Yestertoys and paid only $2 over retail (for non-mint figures) in total for 7 figures (not 2 bucks individually for each one - but rather $2 over retail for the whole purchase). Why not? All I want is the SW figures - not to spend my time in toy isles.

In any case, getting Teebo's wave online won't be a problem, so I'm not even going out to the stores. The preview figures will be the real test. Just remember that I want 7 Jango Fetts. I've worked for the money for them and I'm on my way to work in the morning -and I'll buy all 7 the first time I see them. If you're sleeping, I'll probably see you here complaining because some guy like me shops at your store.

While I might be "hoarding" - and Clone Troopers could be a possible nightmare for all of us - if I don't buy them for my collection - a scalper might get them and do worse. These figures will be gone within 10 minutes after the store opens. If they do not order more, or Zam Wessel and R3-T7 fill the racks like Mon Calamaris - but after how many weeks? - (I will leave 2 Zam's behind from the first 3 cases I get into, and 6 R3-T7's) - then Jango and the CloneTrooper will be hard to get.

If the store orders 3 or more cases, there will be at least 2 more Jangos to buy after I leave (assuming I am not buying for friends' lists too).

I wanted to do a series of polls on consumer etiquette actually, because I may be a butt-head, but want to see what people think the 'early-bird' deserves.

I would defend my practice, because if I get into those first 3 cases in your store, save for possibly looking for more CloneTroopers, I won't be shopping there again for at least a month.

People in my areas can get all the cases that come after mine (to their favorite retailer). In fact, if Walmart gets them first, I won't even be in Target or TRU as soon as I have 7 Jango Fetts. (depending upon my best guess for how I want - and will get - my CloneTrooper army. I don't know if it will be 50, 100, or just 11 and wait for a resculpt or a clearance sale 4 months or more in the future). I am doing 4 scenes that will have CloneTroopers in them, out of some estimated 62 scenes from AOTC that I want to recreate. One scene might require 50, but I don't know if I want to do that one yet for sure - if this figure is poseable enough to accomplish it - and whether I'd get bored just lining figures up in columns. I chose not to do an Emperor's Arrival scene for that last reason -and that I like to see it in a lot of other people's collections and for my own to be different. ( I do have about 100 stormtroopers, but I use them differently, 9 on Endor, 15 in the Death Star setup I did, etc.)

Anyway, am I evil? The cause of a problem? If you are at my store when I am, and I intend to buy everything, I'll split it with you if you want an army (I don't run or grab - though Midnite Madness is the exception - as it's kind of a sport to do it then). But I want people to know that every figure, R2-Q5 and Lando, shipped to my stores, yet I still see people from my area complaining about distribution - and I KNOW I did not take all these figures (1 Lando, 2 R2-Q5's, 3 JarJars, and 14 Tesseks).

So I can say (with some uncertainty) that "it wasn't me!"

:sur:

Wolfwood319
01-23-2002, 11:04 AM
The thing is, Tycho, that now, very few collectors are buying as many of 1 figure as you do. I buy 1 of a figure, at most, there are a few exceptions, but for the most part, I get 1 and I'm done.

And I don't think too many kids are going to be jumping at new Star Wars stuff. I spend a lot of time with kids ages 10-14. For the most part, from the majority of kids I've talked to and watched over the past 5 years, they don't buy action figures anymore. Even with Harry Potter, some got a few figures, but that's it. They didn't go out and get every figure, just a few.

But the way that Hasbro seems to be gearing these new "action" figures, it seems as if they're following in McFarlane's stride, and it won't work. I know people who work at Toy stores, and they all say, that kids don't buy action figures anymore. They buy video games, and finger skate boards, and stuff like that.

I never really bought new stuff online, and I've been able to find the stuff that I wanted with relative ease. I had to wait awhile for Lando and Tessek, but I got them.

I could be wrong, and I hope to see a lot more OT figs in the fashion of the POTJ line. But from what I've seen of E2, and the general direction that Hasbro seems to be going, I don't see too many collectors very happy at the end of 2002.

Hasbro tends to make the same mistakes over and over again, lets just hope that the retailers remember a little nightmare called Episode 1.

Tycho
01-23-2002, 11:30 AM
Oh, I believe you Wolfwood, and agree with you. Some of what I expressed before applied much more to last year's POTJ figures than it will in 2002.

And even though I expressed interest in buying a lot of the new stuff - I would prefer that Hasbro makes 1 figure of each character that has enough articulation and/or soft-goods accessories (and looks good though) to recreate all the scenes for which I'd use that character. In the vintage days, 1 figure sufficed.

If Hasbro does not provide figures I can use, for me personally, they'll lose 8 sales of Jango and I'll stick with squatty-pants Fett which I can use 7 of.

In fact, while Eeth Koth was a nicely sculpted figure, if they continue to make figures as limited as Master Koth was, they will lose a lot of us collectors and the hobby as we know it will revert back to 1995 - where just 9 of the most important characters are all that are made. And even less of those are bought, if they remain being "statues."

I caution reservation in judgement because we have not seen the whole line, nor where they will take it after 2002's initial waves of E2 figures (Bo Shek, Teebo, and R4-M9 - the first Classic figures are not fitting this category, so we don't know that this isn't a hasty appeal to "everyone" for the mass market while the movie is in the height of its popularity (with kids and casual fans).

But you are so right in being wary. Things could have looked better. One bright hope is that the vehicles seem to be designed to stand the test of time better than most of the rest of the stuff we've seen.

brentfett
01-23-2002, 01:27 PM
Buying more than two or three of any figure is insane and a waste of money.

Dryanta
01-23-2002, 06:25 PM
I too only buy one of each and I open every one.I wouldn't go as far as calling buying more than one that insane.Hey,if you've got the funds and the space go fo it.I really do wonder what will happen to the hobby.I can't help but think this is what happens when executives are in charge of something that has a lot of strong feeling behind it when they themselves have none toward the theme.I don't think you're evil.I kinda enjoy the hunt.The toys haven't really been all that impressive so the thrill of finding them makes up for it to me.