PDA

View Full Version : grievous' body guards

Hexagram520
12-07-2005, 03:35 AM
i may be 2 steps behind everyone, but does anyone else think that these droids are the predecessors of ig-88, in the revenge of the sith book, i believe these 2 droids were IG-something or other droids, plus i could somewhat picture the evolution of those droids into IG 88. Whatever, I dunno, discuss haha.

decadentdave
12-07-2005, 04:06 AM
Yes, I think the novel even mentions the fact that these were IG model assassin droids. And it is by no small coincidence that they are comissioned by the IG Banking Clan for the Separatists.

vader121
12-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Hmm, never considered that but it makes sense. I only wish we could have seen IG88 in action. Must have been a real bad *****. Except when he met Boba Fett of course.

Kidhuman
12-07-2005, 08:21 AM
THe droids that were predecessors(SP?) were in the cartoon, the biker droids DUrge used. I dont know if these were or not, they might have used parts of them but the main source was the IG droids from the clone wars.

JimJamBonds
12-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Never thought of that but sure why not? Good call there Hex.

decadentdave
12-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Have you played Shadows of the Empire on N64? IG-88 is the level Boss of Kessel and he is one tough mutha to beat. He literally scares me when I hear his hydraulic legs stomping around and coming after you.

By the way, the reference to the IG droids is on page 125 of the ROTS novel. Grievous' MagnaGuards are referred to as IG-101 and IG-102.

As for the Clone Wars Biker droids, they definitely have IG-88's head. Not sure which model number they are but it sounds like the MagnaGuards are a 101 model which I would consider to be initial series, if Terminator is any comparison, the Cyberdyne Systems model 101 was the first series of humanoid Terminators. Makes sense that the MagnaGuards were the initial assassin droids built specifically for Grievous and their design was so successful that the Banking Clan built a series of newer IG Battle Droids for deployment in the Clone Wars, even though we saw them first in the cartoon. I take it Grievous had been around commanding the Droid Armies for most of the Clone Wars.

El Chuxter
12-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Since we're dipping heavily into EU here, Grievous killed several Jedi in the catacombs under the arena on Geonosis, but there were only a couple of vague descriptions of a super-droid (from some Rebublic Commandos) to verify this. A few months later, as a final test of Grievous' abilities, Dooku sent him up against Durge and Asajj Ventress (neither of whom knew about him), and he beat them both soundly. He was given command over all the Battle Droids and, very shortly afterwars, fought several Knights and Masters on Hypori. Only the intervention of several ARC-Troopers saved four of the Jedi (though K'Kruhk was mistakenly believed to be dead and left on Hypori), and the galaxy finally had confirmation of the identity of this near-mythical Jedi killer.

jedi master sal
12-07-2005, 02:51 PM
We also now know that the "IG" in IG-88's name means "Inter-Galactic," for the Inter-Galatic Banking Clan.

Here's the official link for the IG-lancer droids as seen in the Cone Wars Cartoons:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/droid/iglancer/index.html

Here's IG-88s entry:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/droid/ig88/index.html

Here's the one for Greivous's bodyguard droids:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/droid/bodyguarddroid/?id=eu

-Sal

CaptainSolo1138
12-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Have you played Shadows of the Empire on N64? IG-88 is the level Boss of Kessel and he is one tough mutha to beat. He literally scares me when I hear his hydraulic legs stomping around and coming after you.
Slicker and I always thought the same thing! His creepy IG speak magnifies it.

And by the way, it's Ord Mantell that he's the boss of ;)

JediTricks
12-07-2005, 03:36 PM
IG-100 droids or "MagnaGuards" according to the EU listing on SW.com. Naturally everything is related to everything in SW now, but at least this one isn't as bad as most (I'm looking at you C-3PO's father!).

CS1138, you are totally right about his "voice" in that part of the game, it makes a weird creepy character even worse, which is what it should do. I think also what makes IG-88 interesting in that part of the game is that he moves mechanically, that's something I wish the prequel droids had done more, they move far more fluidly than I thought they should.

Slicker
12-07-2005, 03:40 PM
There's also a good article in the Insider. It's issue number 81 with Obi-Wan. It gives pretty much all of the info given here but it's another source.

decadentdave
12-07-2005, 06:17 PM
That's it! Ord Mantell! Haven't played it for like 6 years but it was definitely CREEPY!!!!!! One of the best Star Wars games EVER!!!

And the white-cloaked IG MagnaGuard figure is impossible to find too!!! WTF?!?!

JediTricks
12-07-2005, 07:22 PM
I had that figure in my hands a few weeks ago, said "I don't need this" and left it at Target, now I kinda regret it.

Rocketboy
12-07-2005, 10:30 PM
That's it! Ord Mantell! Haven't played it for like 6 years but it was definitely CREEPY!!!!!! One of the best Star Wars games EVER!!!What do you mean ONE of the best? THE best is more like it! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
12-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Well, the Visual Dictionary says the white guards are rare, so perhaps Hasbro is trying to make them film accurate? :)

I saw several of these around the time the Gree wave started shipping, but none since. I wish I'd picked up some extras to help folks out, but it really looked like he was going to be a pegwarmer at first. :(

Kidhuman
12-07-2005, 11:20 PM
I had seen plenty also but never got one