PDA

View Full Version : Qui-Gon's hand should have been burned

Obi-Don
01-21-2002, 02:24 AM
Something that bothers me is when they closed the blast doors and Qui-Gon sank his lightsaber all the way to the hilt,His hand should have been burned. I don't know about you,but molten metal can get very hot. I guess its one of the things GL didn't think of.

Any thoughts on this.[I know the force]

bigbarada
01-21-2002, 02:43 AM
You're right, the heat given off by the molten metal should have burned his hands but good. :confused: What gives?

jedi-cpa
01-21-2002, 10:54 AM
Or maybe he has a mechanical hand too, and that will come out in one of the expanded universe prequil books.;)

mabudonicus
01-21-2002, 12:20 PM
Everyone else in the SW universe apparently gets their right hand chopped off at some point, so I can see how that makes sense. Heck,even 21b had to get a new right hand( as seen in my as yet unsolicited eu trilogy- "Take care sir- side stories of the medical droids from echo base") Woooooo!!!!

Jargo
01-21-2002, 04:50 PM
mabudon, I'm sensing a little sarcasm at play here. would I be perchance be correct in assuming you don't hold the EU with great regard? Whyever not? It's such a great source of coincidental chance encounters and a font of information for those who wondered who is related to who and how they all know each other at one time or another. The EU novels are the soap operas of the star wars universe. Will Luke marry mara and what will they decide on for a name if mara gets a bun in the oven. How did Han escape the haemhoroid field of the senokot system and defeat the terrible crab women of spatula IV? The EU is so chock full of quality characters and plotlines and names. how could you not love it.......

Who says the metals used had a high melting point huh? We have metals on earth that burn cold when molten. Who's to say an alien metalurgist didn't make the blast doors from a metal with a low melting temperature that wouldn't create enough heat to even singe a hair on Qui-Gon's hand? Didn't think of that one did ya huh? hmmmmm...... :p

Bel-Cam Jos
01-21-2002, 06:52 PM
Here's the possible answers:

1) It was a dry heat.
2) Maybe he wore synth-flesh gloves that would deflect the heat away.
3) These aren't the theories you're looking for.
4) The doors were made of wax, and while slightly hot, the wax just tingled a bit.
5) IT'S A SIMPLE MOVIE! :p
6) Qui-Gon has spent the last 6 years of his life building up a tolerance to molten metal.
7) What's a diorama?

Hee hee! :D

GNT
01-21-2002, 09:51 PM
Things in the Star Wars universe are not always the same as our universe :)

stillakid
01-21-2002, 11:21 PM
Now, now. I've been chastised over and over for even suggesting that the world is askew in prequel-land. You might just get your hand slapped. ;)

SithDroid
01-22-2002, 12:45 AM
I agree. I always noticed that and it bothered me also. And even if the hest wouldn't have burned him, the tip of the lightsaber handle would have got melted on by the door, and perhaps stuck to it.

Obi-Don
01-22-2002, 08:16 AM
Stillakid,Lets hope that the hand that gets slapped isn't the one that is burned by molten metal.:D :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
01-22-2002, 08:48 AM
but chose to ignore it... a lot like the other things I'll ignore begause it's just a fun film to watch.

If I had to subscribe to a theory... it's a metal with a low melting point.

JetsAndHeels
01-22-2002, 01:22 PM
Here is my theory: Qui-Gon is a Jedi Knight and he can withstand the pain....
Maybe not, but I am sure a burned hand feels better than a lightsaber blade through your chest.

JetsAndHeels
01-22-2002, 01:23 PM
I would like to correct myself:
He is a Jedi Master.

JediCole
01-22-2002, 02:03 PM
This appears to be just another case of people who cannot buy all the way into the fantasy. That the lightsabre is even possible seems to be of no concern to anyone (which is fine), yet the whole question of the heat of cutting through the blast door is at issue!

The explanation is not only simple, but provided for you if you pay close enough attention to the source material (no EU artificial hand necessary). Simply put, the explanation lies within the confines of the Force. If one is willing to buy into the idea that the Force is an energy field created by all living things, that binds and penetrates and is the intrinsic linch pin of the universe, one should have no problem with Qui-Gon's attempt to breach the blast door.

Number one, no matter how sharp, hot, or otherwise capable of cleaving another physical object a sword, knife, blow torch, or lightsabre is, there is still a physical resistance on the part of the material being cut. Yet Qui-Gon's sabre glides through the blastdoor like butter. Then, failing the old "cut a hole in the door" routine, he switches gears and plunges the blade, to the hilt, squarly into the joining point of the door components. No one seems to have any problem with the concept that just pushing in and twisting will somehow degrade the door to powder. The point of this? Qui-Gon is using the Force to augment and manipulate the natural physical powers of the lightsabre. The sabre is a powerful weapon, but in the hands of, say, a smuggler, a Nemodian, or even the strongest alien, it would not do what it does for Qui-Gon. He fortifies the cut with a concerted redirecting of the Force. This has a two fold effect. Number one, it allows a swift smooth cut through thick metal, or the degredation of said metal just from a single point of contact. The secondary effect of having a better than average command of the Force, it keeps your hands pleasantly cool while molten metal drips all about. In layman's terms, Qui-Gon is a Jedi Master, do not try this at home!

Secondly, and this is the part that supports the above, if we look at the Force as defined pre-Midichlorians (and even post-Midichlorians), it was described as an energy field that is a part of all life, yet interacts with all matter, organic and inorganic alike. So Qui-Gon's performance with the blast door is, at its heart, little different than moving stones, Astromech droids, or X-Wing fighters with the mind, gaining intuition and insight, seeing across time and space, and leaping 40 feet straight into the air from one gantry to the next in the Theed generator complex. All are manipulations of the force inacted by those who are adept, attuned, and trained. So when you watch Qui-Gon cleave the doorway of the Trade Federation's flagship command center without the benifit of heavy mits, just think of Luke in a handstand raising R2, or Ben dulling men's minds, or a younger Obi-Wan leaping with inhuman prowess, or any of the other antics that make Jedi so cool!

It's all about the Force, baby!

SithDroid
01-22-2002, 02:59 PM
Yeah, but how come the ligthsaber handle tip doesn't get molded onto by the "hot liquid magma," sorry Ausin Powers reference. A good theory, but why does everyone have to always try to defend the mistakes of the movie. George never thought about it when it came time to film it. So when we finally see it we go, hey he would have got burned or the lightsaber should have got melted. Instead we get fans that try to find some "logical" reason to as why it was like that. Lets just be honest. It was a flub in the film and that's it. Not every movie can be perfect and as we've seen with TPM this one certainly isn't.

stillakid
01-22-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by JediCole
Qui-Gon is using the Force to augment and manipulate the natural physical powers of the lightsabre.

Now, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart: I mean absolutely no disrespect.

But ...LOL! You must be kidding. The rest of the post seemed so sincere.

JediTricks
01-23-2002, 01:20 AM
I always chalked this up to the lightsaber deflecting the heat away from the hilt, just like it normally would do with a saber beam when it comes into contact with another saber beam. The Force could be an anwser too, but I kinda like my answer for it.

Doesn't explain why Obi-Wan kept choking up on his saber hilt though, any further on some of his lightsaber scenes and he'd be known as "thumbless Ben". ;)

TeeEye7
01-23-2002, 06:46 AM
Asbestos nail polish :crazed:

mabudonicus
01-23-2002, 11:11 AM
I just realized that what JEDICOLE said was true, from a certain point of view. Qui gon used the force to redirect the heat outwards from the screen, which is why WE ALL GOT BURNED by TPM.

Rollo Tomassi
03-21-2002, 09:45 PM
has anyone considered using Johnnie Cochran's "Chewbacca Defense" from South Park?

"That does not make sense! See the monkey? look at the little monkey."

Starfig873
03-22-2002, 12:40 PM
why am I talking about Chewbacca when a man's life is in danger? Huh? If Chewbacca doesn't make sense, you must acquit. :D

A good theory, but why does everyone have to always try to defend the mistakes of the movie. George never thought about it when it came time to film it. So when we finally see it we go, hey he would have got burned or the lightsaber should have got melted. Instead we get fans that try to find some "logical" reason to as why it was like that. Lets just be honest. It was a flub in the film and that's it. Not every movie can be perfect and as we've seen with TPM this one certainly isn't.

Why do we make excuses for these mistakes? Because it's fun! Why not? Gives us something to do, something to live for right? So just sit back and come up with a reason and stop being so real minded :p

chewie
03-23-2002, 12:04 AM
Size matters not. Heat matters not? Heat no different, only different in our minds?

Episode I took the force and made it more scientific, so I will conclude this is simply a movie reality flub, not an extension of Qui-Gon's power with the force.

Darkross
03-28-2002, 10:46 AM
Well...if anyone has watched the TPM movie lately you will see that the molten lava falls on the inside of the blast door and not on the outside where Qui-Gon is cutting the door.

What I've always wondered about this scene is...and this may be a trivial question...but why didn't Qui-Gon / Obi-Wan use the force to trigger the blast door to open? Seems to me that it would have been alot easier than trying to cut through it.

As far as cutting through the door...lightsabers emit no heat. They disrupt matter at the molecular level...and I'm not sure how the molten lava from the door was generated by this...other than alot of friction between the lightsaber and the door. If you look closely you will see that when Qui-Gon plunges the lightsaber to the hilt, he is turning the hilt as it melts the door.

I dunno...I don't see this scene as a mistake, just one that is a little confusing...i.e. lacking explanation in the abilities of a Jedi and a lightsaber.

dirtybones
03-28-2002, 06:07 PM
The whole burning hand thing is nothing compared to the way he should have put a hole in his left leg when he was turning off his light saber to use the force in destroying those BATTLE DROIDS when he and OBI-wan first saved the queen on Naboo. Man that thing was turned off and put away to fast in my opion. It just didn't look right.:frus:

Darkross
04-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by dirtybones
The whole burning hand thing is nothing compared to the way he should have put a hole in his left leg when he was turning off his light saber to use the force in destroying those BATTLE DROIDS when he and OBI-wan first saved the queen on Naboo. Man that thing was turned off and put away to fast in my opion. It just didn't look right.:frus:

I agree...that scene has always bugged me. It's not like he's putting away just the hilt. It's almost like he's got one of those instant on...instant off lightsabers that we saw in ANH (i.e. Luke's lightsaber).

RooJay
04-12-2002, 06:57 PM
Why doesn't the lightsaber melt when it's activated? Does anyone honestly think Qui-Gon would've tried this if he didn't have some way of dealing with the heat and keeping himself from getting burned? Besides, this kind of thing happens all the time in movies (sound in space anyone?), but it all just comes down to over analyzing when we should just be watching and enjoying. These movies are fantasy.:)

SithDroid
04-12-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
Besides, this kind of thing happens all the time in movies (sound in space anyone?), but it all just comes down to over analyzing when we should just be watching and enjoying. These movies are fantasy.:)

Well I for one don't like movies that have major flaws in them, such as Armageddon. That movie has WAY too many flaws with reality to even begin to point out.

stillakid
04-12-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
we should just be watching and enjoying. These movies are fantasy.:)

It's difficult to enjoy when some obvious plot inconsistencies pop up. It's easy to look past simple production design elements, like sound in space or heat fx from sabers and such, but when it comes to things that F up the plot, then it doesn't take much analysis at all to figure out why the movie isn't working.

RooJay
04-14-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid

Well I for one don't like movies that have major flaws in them, such as Armageddon. That movie has WAY too many flaws with reality to even begin to point out.

So are you saying we shouldn't enjoy movies that have flaws?

JediTricks
04-14-2002, 10:59 PM
No, according to that quote, SD is saying he doesn't enjoy movies that have many major flaws like the film Armageddon.