PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Sideshow's new Priority Pre-Order?

JediTricks
12-09-2005, 10:30 PM
If you haven't read it on the Anakin page, Anakin will be starting Sideshow's new program where newsletter subscribers will get to preorder the figure 2 hours before the regular people on the web, then *if* there's anything left they'll let non-subscribers do a web preorder.

I honestly think it's just another level of making the problem worse for the majority of collectors, either it gets even more elitist OR more likely a lot folks sign up and the server bogs down.

AmanaMatt
12-09-2005, 10:48 PM
I see no point in this....first come first served is just fine.

Kidhuman
12-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Scalpers will loom large on these.

Slicker
12-10-2005, 12:46 AM
It's just SS using Star Wars to try and rope people into buying some of there other product by getting them to sign up. I'm sure the people that order the Star Wars toys will get 1 SW newsletter and 45 other ones selling other statues and such.

They're just making it tougher and tougher anymore.

decadentdave
12-10-2005, 03:03 AM
I think it is total B.S.! It encourages scalpers and hoarders to buy in larger quantities thus instigating a faster forced sellout. Look at what has happened with 12" Luke already. On the plus side though: at least they are not making it a "members only" thing like Master Replicas does with their "Collector's Society" exclusives which is basically "you give us more money to become a member so you can buy member's only exclusives and have priority pre-orders." I think they should just open up ordering for everyone the same day and it is a free-for-all on both the Sideshow Exclusive AND the Regular Edition which is what they have already done for everything else from Bond to X-Files. It sells out when it sells out. If you're a johnny-come-lately then you miss the boat. If you read the newsletter and know when the products go on sale then you know when to expect to place your order. All they are doing is marketing another "you gotta rise and shine and be the first to place your order 'cause this will sell out fast" hype. They don't do this with any of the other product lines they already have.

K M Toydarian
12-10-2005, 03:33 AM
I don't know if Priority will make any difference. Anybody who really cares will make sure they are elligible for early order anyway based on Luke's sell out. It just makes people "feel" special.
AT least they are giving an exect time the preorder starts, unlike Luke which I think was a large vague window that I totally missed. Unfortunately I'll be at work at 10 am and will miss this too.
I was really hoping with the broad appeal of Star Wars, as opposed to some of their more specialty licenses these would be readily available at stores like Suncoast, and even toy stores (TRU.com carries sideshow 12").
Let's hope everything is not so limited and this is just to test the waters.

plasticfetish
12-10-2005, 06:14 AM
I'm honestly a little p***ed-off by the entire process. Signing up for a newsletter is no big deal, I'd do it anyway (and I did), but I'm not wild about having to open up an account where I give them my credit card info and they keep it on file. I'm not at all happy that this product is only available as a pre-order item online -- which gives me NO chance to see it in person, to verify that what I'm paying (a lot) for is as nice as what I'm seeing in photos on a Web site. Sideshow has some serious b***s launching a new line based entirely on the hopes and irrational completist habits of most collectors/fans.

Phhhht. As much as I want this line to work out, I can't get excited about something that I can't see in person... or even see decent photos of more than a week in advance of its order time. I mean, what the h***?!? We get to see a head-shot of Anakin, and then we're supposed to get fired up to pre-order this thing a few days later based on a vague image of what I'd bet is probably a prototype anyway. No thanks. The scalpers will be ditching these things (and taking a loss at that) a few months after they're finally released... I'll wait 'til then.

decadentdave
12-10-2005, 10:20 AM
I totally agree about not seeing the product first hand and ordering based on product images alone. Case-in-point: I pre-ordered the SS exclusive Astronaut Taylor figure from Planet of the Apes and the figure I received DID NOT look like the product displayed on their website. The images they showed had his jumpsuit featured with dirt on his pants from the Forbidden Zone as seen in the movie. The product I received was perfectly CLEAN, no dirt weathering. I thought maybe there was a variation so I called Sideshow and they told me they decided not to use the prototype version featured on their website and that if I was unhappy I could return it for a refund. By that time, it had sold out. I was ****ed because I felt like I was deceived by the product info they showed on their website. In fact, they STILL show the "dirty" version if you do a product search on their site. I kept the figure because he is long sold out and has more than doubled on ebay but I am not satisfied.

DarthBrandon
12-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Sideshow can go f*** themselves as far as I'm concerned, I will never buy a single product from them for two reasons. 1.) the way they sell the product, members first, general public last (what's up with that?). 2.) if I can't get the product because it's a limited run & have to pay outrageous prices then what's the point & where's the fun in that (if you can't mass produce the f*** off). I can live without this type of scam (IMHO) saves me money in the long run on overrated items.:frus:

Blue2th
12-10-2005, 01:13 PM
I have mixed feelings about this. I recieved my e-mail for 12" Luke at an odd hour. I went to work, came back saw the e-mail and the first special ones with blasters were sold out. So I missed that. I immediately ordered the regular one. Good thing as they are sold out now. I do think it is a good thing to sign up with Sideshow. You can always turn down the offer. If I hadn't signed up with them and tried to get a second chance offer, I wouldn't now be getting a Premium Vader that someone else decided to cancel. So there is an upside to signing up for me anyways. I just hope I am at my computer when they notify me about the 12" Anakin. I have alot of Hasbro 12 inch, and most of them look like they pale in comparison. I hope I don't have to fight to get just one. For 50 bucks, they better be worth it.

JediTricks
12-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Wow, there are more people talking about this than the Anakin figure.

On the plus side though: at least they are not making it a "members only" thing like Master Replicas does with their "Collector's Society" exclusives which is basically "you give us more money to become a member so you can buy member's only exclusives and have priority pre-orders."That's a pretty good point, although I will say that in theory MR's system ensures *less* scalpers 'cause it's harder to create a phoney duplicate email address AND credit card with a different name.

I'm not at all happy that this product is only available as a pre-order item online -- which gives me NO chance to see it in person, to verify that what I'm paying (a lot) for is as nice as what I'm seeing in photos on a Web site. Sideshow has some serious b***s launching a new line based entirely on the hopes and irrational completist habits of most collectors/fans.You definitely have a point there. I originally was expecting to pick up these figures at a store when they came out but they're making that possibility a lot harder. I suppose they do it to stay in business though, large retailers would likely balk at them acting as the retailers' competition like this, yet large retailers also would make cuts into the quality and profit.

Phhhht. As much as I want this line to work out, I can't get excited about something that I can't see in person... or even see decent photos of more than a week in advance of its order time. I mean, what the h***?!? We get to see a head-shot of Anakin, and then we're supposed to get fired up to pre-order this thing a few days later based on a vague image of what I'd bet is probably a prototype anyway.Again, that's a very good point, I had similar concerns when the Luke was released last month in that we got to decide if we wanted to commit to buying him without time to see the finished product or even see the actual figure in advance.

I pre-ordered the SS exclusive Astronaut Taylor figure from Planet of the Apes and the figure I received DID NOT look like the product displayed on their website. The images they showed had his jumpsuit featured with dirt on his pants from the Forbidden Zone as seen in the movie. The product I received was perfectly CLEAN, no dirt weathering. I thought maybe there was a variation so I called Sideshow and they told me they decided not to use the prototype version featured on their website and that if I was unhappy I could return it for a refund. By that time, it had sold out. I was ****ed because I felt like I was deceived by the product info they showed on their website. In fact, they STILL show the "dirty" version if you do a product search on their site. I kept the figure because he is long sold out and has more than doubled on ebay but I am not satisfied.I suspect this is what makes Sideshow's business model work, direct sales based on high expectations before buying due to a quality prototype and then ensure that the market doesn't have as much as it can bear so customers recognize the quality of being a limited item that is instantly worth more on the after-market. And I suppose it's a reasonable take too, it seems to work keeping the company afloat, they've adhered to what the market will bear and kept demand high. Still, as a customer, it doesn't feel right to buy a product solely on expectations knowing that there's little other choice.

I have mixed feelings about this. I recieved my e-mail for 12" Luke at an odd hour. I went to work, came back saw the e-mail and the first special ones with blasters were sold out. So I missed that. I immediately ordered the regular one. Good thing as they are sold out now. I do think it is a good thing to sign up with Sideshow. You can always turn down the offer. If I hadn't signed up with them and tried to get a second chance offer, I wouldn't now be getting a Premium Vader that someone else decided to cancel. So there is an upside to signing up for me anyways. I just hope I am at my computer when they notify me about the 12" Anakin.This touches on a strong collecting concern, "if you miss out, you're screwed", and the way Sideshow runs things there's a LOT of good ways to miss out, the timing thing being one, but also this "second chance" waiting list thing where if one falls through then you get it - that one concerns me a lot because what if Sideshow's credit card factor has trouble getting through to my bank that day? Maybe the communication lines are messed up, it happens. So do they try again later or do I miss out because of something well beyond my control? (This is naturally sidestepping the big issue of collectors who don't have access to credit cards, another problem altogether.) I may be #1 in line but I could end up missing out over a nothing problem, and then what do I do? I can't go to the store and buy one.

The waiting list bothers me also because it means there IS a lot more people interested in the product, they *could* run more of it and sell them, but I guess that'd be contrary to their business model of limited access artificially creating higher demand.

Jeez, remember when we were all excited to buy this stuff in *stores*???

Reefer Shark
12-10-2005, 04:15 PM
I agree, this whole process is BS.... Sideshows ordering system sucks, and I've heard bad things about their customer service too.

If you have a local comic shop, you might want to do what I do. My comic guy orders whatever I want for me. He has done this with LOTR statues, and he managed to get me a Jedi Luke after they showed as sold out at SS. I plan on getting Anakin from him too.

This is my favorite option because I can check the item out before actually buying it, and I don't have to pay shipping. Not to mention, he gives a discount to regular customers (this is common with comic shops, my shop gives about 20% discount).

It might worth your while to look into this option if you haven't already :thumbsup:

maatu
12-10-2005, 06:14 PM
i honestly think it's not fair. a bunch of whiners complained. that they missed out. not being able to sell the piece on ebay to make a profit. now collectors who want this are going to be screwed royally when the newsletter does not come or is late. when do they expect us to get the newsletter. i think sideshowtoys is also onto the scalpers.they said they were going to eliminate duplicate accounts and double orders. if i get the piece cool , if i don't so what. but i sure won't pay $400 dollars for the piece and if i see someone selling it. i will email them at ebay and cuss the fools out.

Blue2th
12-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Ok, Just checked on the time for those who subscribe to the news letter will have an opportunity to buy before everyone else. It's between 10:00 AM and 12:00 AM on Fri. 16th HELLO!!!!!! Most of us are at WORK!!! How do you think we can AFFORD your expensive stuff Sideshow?!!! Do I have to come 15 miles back home just to make sure I get a special edition with maybe a plastic blaster?!!! If I'm gonna get one at all before they sell out. This is rediculous. Too bad I don't have access to a computer at work. :mad:

decadentdave
12-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Well what time would be convenient for you Blue2th 'cause I have Friday off and that time works great for me! Not to rub it in but it doesn't make much difference what time Sideshow opens up the pre-orders because it will always inconvenience SOMEBODY. I just think the whole thing is stupid because it creates a rush to buy. I think the whole mess could be avoided if Sideshow would make enough to satisfy demand. The Sideshow Exclusive Edition can remain a limited edition size but the regular edition should be unlimited based on demand. Continue to offer it for sale and cease production only after there is a cessation of orders. That way collectors who invest for value can go after the limited edition and everyone else who just wants to have one can still get one. Really, it's a no-brainer but Sideshow just wants to control the collector market just like MR and Hasbro try to do.

Blue2th
12-12-2005, 08:02 AM
6:00PM would be nice. Now I understand that probably wouldn't work because us Blue Collar 8 to 5, five days a week working stiffs (most people) would clog the servers and shut them down. We wouldn't want that to happen to the "Master Collectors". Hey as long as I get one. I don't care if it's special addition or not. I do think this 12" figure will sell out quicker, because people found out that the first "12 luke was gone sooner than most anticipated. Side Show is not making it easy, but "Ve have our vays Dr. Jones"

JediTricks
12-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Well, to accomodate post-work-hours for both east and west coast, it'd have to be like 9pm EST. Maybe they should have made it 9pm EST but on Thursday.

maatu
12-16-2005, 01:02 PM
well, i though maybe being a member to the newsletter and i use to like to buy products from sideshowtoys. i told them there server was down. they told me know the webmaster said it was fine. well guess what the server is down,there idiots and i am cancelling all my orders through them. i don't even want the luke anymore.this is a mindless company.

Hellboy
12-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Wow, I'm really surprised at just how many people are upset about this pre-order process. Personally I don't have any problems with it and think it works great.

For the record I've been ordering from Sideshow for years and have NEVER had a problem with their customer service. In fact I'd go as far as to say its some of the best I've experienced online. Sure you have to create an account in advance with them to get a shot at the priority pre-order window but if you're ordering from them you have to do this anyway so whats the problem?

Not being able to see the finished product before commiting to buy is a non issue. You're able to cancel your order at any time before the item is shipped and SS always gives you plenty of warning before that happens. There will be plenty of pictures in the weeks to come and plenty more of the final product before it's release so if you're not happy with what you see at that point simply cancel and be done with it.

As far as the waiting list goes I think its a great system. There will always be people who cancel or their credit card won't except the charge so your chances of getting one this way are usually very good. The majority of my purchases have been handled in this manner and I actually did have a problem with my CC one time and they notified me. The problem was quickly fixed and my order was processed.

Obviously I'm in the minority with my opinion here but I'll take this system any day over going to the store to look for inferior quality Hasbro figures that may or may not be on the shelf. Not to mention the half dozen or so figures that barely or never made it to retail because of Hasbro's sloppy distribution. I'm glad I can order this figure online and be done with it.

AmanaMatt
12-16-2005, 02:46 PM
In fact I'd go as far as to say its some of the best I've experienced online.

It took me 50 min today to order the Exclusive ed. Anakin....if this is the best online has to offer, we're all doomed! :ninja:

I mean, this was the worst online experience I have personally dealt with.

Hellboy
12-16-2005, 03:45 PM
It took me 50 min today to order the Exclusive ed. Anakin....if this is the best online has to offer, we're all doomed!

Your issue has more to do with the fact that they were dealing with an extremely high volume of traffic more than it has to do with poor customer service. Sure they probably could have been better prepared to deal with this but I had no problems at all placing my order an hour after the figure went up. Thats just the nature of collecting something that thousands of people are interested in.

Remember SS is just starting out with this line and I'm sure they're learning as they go. The traffic they've experienced with these first two 12" figures is probably unlike anything they've had to deal with up to this point given the majority of their product are high dollar items and not Star Wars related.

Darth Cruel
12-16-2005, 04:27 PM
I find this to be one of the fun things about collecting. I was so mad that I didn't get the first exclusive (Luke), that I nearly chose not to collect the line. But since then I have scored three of three. It seams like some of you don't do any research before you form your opinion (that is what happened with me). Sitting at the computer is NOT the only way to get these figures. They will take your order over the phone after they check to make sure you have the prerequisites. I fought against the DSLs for an hour this morning with my dial-up modem before I happened to notice a phone number for orders on the 'sites home page. I called it and asked if they were taking orders for the Anakin exclusive over the phone, and the lady told me yes but they have to check you out to make sure you have the newsletter and active account. Then they call you back and take the order. I got lucky and got through on the computer while I was waiting for the call-back, but she called me with plenty of time to get the order in if I had still needed it.

As far as buying them sight-unseen, how many times (other than the POTA story above) has Sideshow offered a lousy item. I think taking a chance on them is a safe bet.

And I don't even care if they end up sucking after I get them. If I hate them enough to want to get rid of them, I know I'll get my money back for them on EeBay.

And HB makes a good point. Sideshow probably crapped a purple Twinkie at how fast such a high dollar action figure sold out. I'll wait and watch, but it would not surprise me to find that as the line goes on, we'll see more numbers being produced...and still selling out.

JediTricks
12-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Well what a surprise, major server problems, and at 2:03 when I came back online, all the preorders for the exclusive were filled. So nice to feel appreciated. It's a good thing I didn't want this figure or I'd be flipping out right about now.

Warstar
12-16-2005, 04:45 PM
I tired to order two but they limited me to one...ah well.

I got it though- 1 hour after they started selling. Took a bit to get it done but it took all of 5 minutes for me- and I have a cable modem.

I have been getting Sideshow's newsletters since February of last year when I ordered a War Mask of the Morgul Lord. I loved their helms and what-not for LOTR.

As far as selling these on Ebay, I think I might end up being the first tomorrow, as my friend got one for me and wants me to strictly sell mine. I'll be selling a certificate that will guarantee someone the figure, since you can't sell things on Ebay that you can't realistically deliver within 30 days (anyone else know that but me?)

Anyway, all in all, I like the new Priority Pre-Order. It rocks :)

Turbowars
12-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Man, My wife was able to order one for me at 10:05. I guess High speed Broad Band helps. Even though I have been fortunate to order both exclusives, I still think something better needs to be done. Lift the production run higher for one and opening the pre-orders up at night when most people are home and not at work. Or how about not making an exclusive version at all.

JediTricks
12-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Making more? What a CRAZY idea. :p

AmanaMatt
12-16-2005, 09:04 PM
I guess High speed Broad Band helps

I have a 6 mbps connection.....more of an issue with their site's end....Sideshow seems to have indicated on Rebelscum's forums that they took note of today's issues. We'll see if that is actually true next round.

Reefer Shark
12-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Or how about not making an exclusive version at all.

That's what I would like to see. No more exclusives..

maatu
12-16-2005, 09:28 PM
i was really mad today. i was being told there is nothing wrong. i called, yes. then when i went back to call the number on the back of the magazine from sideshowtoys.It was miraculously off the hook. But i eventually did get through. as soon as i confirmed i got the exclusive 12 inch ,It sold out.
i do have to say the newsletter thing is good. But work needs to be done to improve. i don't think i was mad at sideshowtoys as much as that i couldn't pull up the website for a long time.
the starwars collecting universe is so Big that if you produce 6000. which everybody will say that's alot. actually not really when you think how many collectors there are out here.

C5Jedi
12-23-2005, 11:02 AM
If you haven't read it on the Anakin page, Anakin will be starting Sideshow's new program where newsletter subscribers will get to preorder the figure 2 hours before the regular people on the web, then *if* there's anything left they'll let non-subscribers do a web preorder.

I honestly think it's just another level of making the problem worse for the majority of collectors, either it gets even more elitist OR more likely a lot folks sign up and the server bogs down.

Server did bog down and I was not only a newsletter subscriber but also ordered all of the larger scale premium SW to date and I never did receive a notice from Sideshow about the early sale.

Why take a license on an item like Star Wars if you can't meet the demand in the marketplace.

C5Jedi
12-23-2005, 11:06 AM
It took me 50 min today to order the Exclusive ed. Anakin....if this is the best online has to offer, we're all doomed! :ninja:

Agreed Amanamatt. That's why I won't try to buy any in this line after the Anakin fiasco. They've turned this customer off (and I bought all the large scale SW premium figures to date).

JediTricks
01-06-2006, 12:45 PM
This was my first use of Priority Preorder - I didn't want Anakin - and honestly I think it didn't go all that well, yet I've already been seeing worse horror stories than the 20 minutes it took me to get it going. I think the system needs plenty of tweaking still, and a dedicated server because there's no way a paltry 2000 users at once should be enough to bring them to their knees. I really disliked preordering the figure before the actual item description page with the photos loaded, but I knew time was short and I had to act, that's something they really are shooting themselves in the foot here in terms of public image, but it probably guarantees their sales.

Blue2th
01-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Yep, once again it was a nail biting experience. Even though I am a subscriber, I had to log in on the "streamline" page 8 times or more. It kept saying this item is not yet available to non-subscribers of the newsletter. I was persistant. After I finally got an exclusive (the Greivous blaster is cool) I went to my newsletter preferences and narrowed the field to Star Wars, Star Trek, and Lord of the Rings only (can't wait till the Aragon 12" figure next week oh no here we go again!) Maybe now I will get the newsletter when I'm supposed to. Although I am going to recheck my email preferences, but I don't think there is a problem with that. Sideshow needs to tweak their system a little more as you say.

JediTricks
01-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Oh, that reminds me, I just told SirSteve about this, when you sign up for the newsletter, they give you 3 email addresses to put on your spam filter's white list:
sideshow-coravue@server2.coravue.net
newsletter@sideshowcollectibles.com
sideshowtoy-coravue@gt.sideshowtoy.com

Except that the most recent newsletters I got both ended up in my spam box because they were from a FOURTH address:
sideshow-coravue@gt.sideshow.com

Whoops, huh?

Hellboy
01-06-2006, 03:30 PM
As usual pre-ordering went smooth as can be for me. Logged in at 10:02 and had my order placed and was done with the whole thing by 10:13. :thumbsup: