PDA

View Full Version : 2005 College Football Bowl Games

UKWildcat
12-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Come on guys and gals. Go ahead and talk your trash and make your predictions! :D

My team this year and every year has been and will always be Virginia Tech. I know, I know, we fell off there towards the end. Our offense never seems to show up during the big games. However, I do think we will beat Louisville in the Gator bowl, given our offensive coordinator (Steinspring) can call more than a dozen different plays.

But anyways...

I am going with Notre Dame over Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. I can't stand Ohio State and the Irish were extremely close in beating USC.

Georgia will roll over West Virginia (boooo!!!) in the Sugar Bowl.

My upset will go to FSU beating Penn State in the Orange bowl. If FSU beat Va Tech AND Miami they should be able to beat anyone. :p

And finally... USC will beat Texas in the Rose Bowl. This is one of the most anticipated football games in recent years. Does Texas think that they can really stop Reggie Bush (2005 Heisman winner, congrats)?!?!? Can USC stop Vince Young?!?!? Aww man, these are the questions that are soon to be answered. :thumbsup:

Slicker
12-11-2005, 09:05 AM
The only game I really care about is Michigan and Nebraska. Michigan kinda sucked a55 this year but that was only because of so many conference losses. They should have no trouble at all with Nebraska.

I won't watch other games but I'm interested in seeing if Ohio State loses only because a guy at work worships them and because they beat Michigan.:cry: I also hope Texas gets stomped into the ground.

InsaneJediGirl
12-11-2005, 10:02 AM
My upset will go to FSU beating Penn State in the Orange bowl. If FSU beat Va Tech AND Miami they should be able to beat anyone. :p

I think FSU might win,but it will be by a close margin.Sadly,they decided to actually becoming a winning team again by the end of the season.Oh well.

I really hope Georgia doesnt win the Sugar Bowl,but sadly they most likely will. As for National Champions,my pick will go to USC. A better team than Texas in my opinion.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Rose:
Give it to USC. Not because I live in So Cal, not because Texas started to moan and complain about "no respect" towards the end of the year. Just because I'd like to see how long this streak will last.

Fiesta:
OSU hasn't played since Woody coached them, right? It's been a while. I have no love for the 'Domers, so stick a Buckeye on the helmet in this game.

Sugar:
Who cares? West Virginia should be embarrassed to be in the Big Least and a BCS team (unlike my "dominant" Pitt Panthers last year :rolleyes: ), and Georgia slipped in the back door over LSU. Let it end in a 2-2 tie...

Orange:
Who cares? Penn State wrecked OSU's chances, and FSU was another back-door crasher. Let this one end in a 0-0 tie...

But what about the Holiday Bowl? Motor City Bowl? The Bol Weevil Bowl? :D I guess this year I don't have the Bowl Season spirit like I used to... :(

Captain Spoon
12-12-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm looking forward to the Notre Dame\Ohio State Fiesta Bowl, that should be a good game. Also the Rose Bowl should be entertaining at least, I heard the over /under for it is something like 89 1/2 pts. That is Insane!

JetsAndHeels
12-12-2005, 04:19 PM
And finally... USC will beat Texas in the Rose Bowl. This is one of the most anticipated football games in recent years. Does Texas think that they can really stop Reggie Bush (2005 Heisman winner, congrats)?!?!? Can USC stop Vince Young?!?!? Aww man, these are the questions that are soon to be answered. :thumbsup:

Reggie Bush is a monster...this guy will change the course of whatever NFL team he goes to. The only thing that worries me about him is his size. He can run over any college defense, but when he arrives at the pro level I wouldn't be surprised if it takes him a little time to adjust. Nevertheless, he is going to make an impact in the league no doubt.
The USC/Texas game is going to be a great one to watch, even if you just want to see how many future NFL stars are going to be on the field. I can't wait.

UKWildcat
12-12-2005, 07:05 PM
The USC/Texas game is going to be a great one to watch, even if you just want to see how many future NFL stars are going to be on the field. I can't wait.

Soooo who you pickin to win? ;)

Yea, it should be an awesome game! I expect a high scoring affair. I still think USC will win, but it won't be by much. Maybe a touchdown or a field goal. I can't wait either!

JetsAndHeels
12-12-2005, 10:09 PM
I'm picking USC to win.....they have the X-factor known as Reggie Bush.
Sure, Texas is no walk in the park but USC just has too many weapons.
It will be a close affair, but the men of Troy come out as National Champs.

UKWildcat
12-18-2005, 01:52 AM
Yea, Bush is a beast. There has been an annoucement that he is turning pro after this year, surprise, surprise. I think he will make an almost immediate impact on whatever team decides to take him first in the draft (yes thats my prediction as well). If Cadillac can do it, Bush won't have a problem at all. Lets face it, he is just disgusting.

Well the bowl games start in just a couple of days. Although the better games start a week from now. I was looking through the list of matchups and there are a few more that appear to be good competitive games.

Vitalis Sun (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls05/bowls?game=sun)
Northwestern (7-4)
vs. UCLA (9-2)

Chick-fil-A Peach (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls05/bowls?game=peach)
Miami (9-2)
vs. LSU (10-2)

AT&T Cotton (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls05/bowls?game=cotton)
Texas Tech (9-2)
vs. Alabama (9-2)

Capital One (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls05/bowls?game=capitalone)
Wisconsin (9-3)
vs. Auburn (9-2)

There will be several more good NCAA football games to be watched before I make the full transition into NCAA basketball.

JetsAndHeels
12-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Yea, Bush is a beast. There has been an annoucement that he is turning pro after this year, surprise, surprise. I think he will make an almost immediate impact on whatever team decides to take him first in the draft (yes thats my prediction as well). If Cadillac can do it, Bush won't have a problem at all. Lets face it, he is just disgusting.

Well the bowl games start in just a couple of days. Although the better games start a week from now. I was looking through the list of matchups and there are a few more that appear to be good competitive games.

Vitalis Sun (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls05/bowls?game=sun)
Northwestern (7-4)
vs. UCLA (9-2)

Chick-fil-A Peach (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls05/bowls?game=peach)
Miami (9-2)
vs. LSU (10-2)

AT&T Cotton (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls05/bowls?game=cotton)
Texas Tech (9-2)
vs. Alabama (9-2)

Capital One (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls05/bowls?game=capitalone)
Wisconsin (9-3)
vs. Auburn (9-2)

There will be several more good NCAA football games to be watched before I make the full transition into NCAA basketball.

Reggie was at the Jets/Raiders last week, and the fans in the stadium welcomed him and chanted his name. He even later said he could see himself playing for the Jets. That would be so ideal for us...wow, he is going to really change the face of whatever franchise is lucky enough to land him.

Ok, so here are my picks on the bowl games you listed:

Sun Bowl-UCLA

Peach Bowl-LSU (tough call for me but I think LSU has the tools to beat the Canes)

Cotton Bowl-I'll just take Alabama because I know more about them than I do Texas Tech. This one is a toss up.

Capital One Bowl-Auburn, no doubt.

Exhaust Port
12-18-2005, 06:28 PM
As a big OSU fan I'm looking forward to the Notre Dame game. Man, it would be sweet to pop that ND bubble. As close as the games were against Texas and Penn State I think that OSU can handle the Irish.

UKWildcat
12-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Sun Bowl - I'm going with NW, another upset pick. NW has a pretty good RB, I forget his name though.

Peach - Miami. They did beat VA Tech so they get my pick and they are representing the ACC.

Cotton - Bama

Capital One - Auburn as well

Might as well ask, who are you picking here:

Toyota Gator (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls05/bowls?game=gator)
Louisville (9-2)
vs. Virginia Tech (10-2)

Hokies for me!

JetsAndHeels
12-18-2005, 07:24 PM
I would take Va Tech in the Gator Bowl.

UKWildcat
12-29-2005, 12:36 AM
Did anyone watch the Alamo Bowl - Michigan vs. Nebraska?

I haven't seen such a horribly officiated game in a very long while. Michigan got a raw deal. The last 6 minutes were just bs. The fumble/incomplete pass that they didn't have the sense to review, forcing Michigan to waste ANOTHER timeout trying to get a review. The call doesn't get reversed, I thought it was an incomplete pass myself, but what do I know? Then when Nebraska has the ball, the official spots the ball and just lets 15 secs. run off the clock before he blows the whistle. Then the nocall when Nebraska grabbed the Michigan wideout, obvious pass intereference, which would have set up first and goal. Then the very exciting, but disappointing end with all the latterals. I thought it was a penalty if your whole team and the band rushes onto the field and the play is still alive?

I do feel very sorry for the people and fans of Michigan that had to watch that horrible display of officiating. It sucks that such a good game and an important game for both teams was officiated and ruined the way it was.

Sorry Slicker.

Slicker
12-29-2005, 01:47 PM
Sorry Slicker.I appreciate it but to be honest I didn't even watch the game. Michigan deserved to lose this. If they were indeed a good team then there should've been no chance for Nebraska to win it in the end. They seem to slack off more and more every season.

If your bowl game is played before December 31 then it's just a sop bowl. No real value.

DarthQuack
12-29-2005, 03:50 PM
I caught the end of the NEB/MIC game last night at the bar....what an insane last play that looked pretty sweet....too bad it didn't work :( I'm looking forward to the Fiesta Bowl being an Irish backer...

UKWildcat
12-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Michigan deserved to lose this.

I don't know if I would say that. If anything, they deserved to win the game. They certainly weren't getting any help from the officals though. You should be happy you missed the game though, unless they won of course. You probably would have flipped out and hurt something or somebody when you saw all of the no calls and poor officiating.

One game I'm really looking forward to is the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl tomorrow. Miami (9-2) vs Lsu (10-2) should be a really good matchup. I have to work an 11 hr. shift tomorrow, so it will be nice to come home, relax, drink some brew, and watch the game. I think it will be a good one. :thumbsup:

I never pull for Miami but I will tomorrow night. The more games the ACC conference wins, the better.

JetsAndHeels
12-29-2005, 10:25 PM
One game I'm really looking forward to is the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl tomorrow. Miami (9-2) vs Lsu (10-2) should be a really good matchup. I have to work an 11 hr. shift tomorrow, so it will be nice to come home, relax, drink some brew, and watch the game. I think it will be a good one. :thumbsup:

I am an acc guy myself (tarheel born and bred) but for some reason I just have a feeling LSU is going to win. Not sure why, but I have always liked their qb. I think Russell is a great athlete and to me I just see him taking control and leading his team to victory.
Should be great to watch.

DarthQuack
12-30-2005, 12:31 AM
Oklahoma 17
#6 Oregon 14

I was glad to see this happen, not because I'm a Sooner fan, but with all the people that had beef with Oregon not getting a BCS Bowl bid....this game shows why they didn't deserve one IMO....Either that or OK just played a great game. I only caught a quarter or so.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-30-2005, 10:22 AM
I am an acc guy myself (tarheel born and bred) but for some reason I just have a feeling LSU is going to win. Not sure why, but I have always liked their qb. I think Russell is a great athlete and to me I just see him taking control and leading his team to victory.
Should be great to watch.I thought I saw an injury report that had LSU starting their backup because Russell is out. But when I saw this matchup when bowls were announced, I thought this could be the best meeting of strong teams (I mean, both were in the top 3 at one time this season. Pretty good for a pre-January bowl).

mtriv73
12-30-2005, 01:18 PM
I've told my wife that the only thing I love as much as her is Hokie football.

I think we'll beat Louisville (I still can't believe we lost to FSU and got whipped by Miami.)

I think Texas will win the Rose bowl, but this one could go either way. Reggie Bush is probably the most gifted athlete I've ever seen play.

I've despised Miami since we were in the Big East together and can't bring myself to root for them for any reason (unless maybe they're playing UVA.) So I hope LSU crushes them (but I don't think it's going to happen.)

UKWildcat
12-30-2005, 08:42 PM
I've told my wife that the only thing I love as much as her is Hokie football.

Awesome!!!

I've despised Miami since we were in the Big East together and can't bring myself to root for them for any reason (unless maybe they're playing UVA.) So I hope LSU crushes them (but I don't think it's going to happen.)

I feel the same way about Miami, but I hope they beat LSU so the ACC has a chance of winning all but one of their matchups (GA Tech). That would say a lot for the conference. But other than that, I never root for Miami or UVA (ughh) unless it will somehow benefit Tech, even then I find it extremely painful to hope for a UVA victory.

Speaking of which, that was a pretty darn good game today, the UVA - MIN game. I didn't think UVA had a chance at all towards the beginning of the game.

JetsAndHeels
12-30-2005, 09:18 PM
I thought I saw an injury report that had LSU starting their backup because Russell is out. But when I saw this matchup when bowls were announced, I thought this could be the best meeting of strong teams (I mean, both were in the top 3 at one time this season. Pretty good for a pre-January bowl).

Yes, Russell is out. I didn't realize this until I started watching the game. Wonder how I missed it? :sad:

UKWildcat
12-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Yes, Russell is out. I didn't realize this until I started watching the game.

I didn't know that either.

I'll tell ya one thing though, he hasn't played like a backup QB so far in the first half. His play has been pretty solid against one of the best defenses in the nation. Miami needs to step it up in the second half.

JetsAndHeels
12-30-2005, 09:37 PM
I'll tell ya one thing though, he hasn't played like a backup QB so far in the first half. His play has been pretty solid against one of the best defenses in the nation. Miami needs to step it up in the second half.

You're right. Look at his numbers for the first half:

9 for 15, 162 yards, 2 tds and 0 ints.

UKWildcat
12-30-2005, 10:20 PM
This game is horrible! I guess Miami isn't going to show up tonight. I give LSU all the credit in the world though, they have looked amazing and can not be stopped.

I'm going to watch a movie or something. :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
12-30-2005, 10:50 PM
FEllas, trust me, if there is any way to lose a big game the Chokies will do it. Look at their track record. Miami, FSU......

I actually heard an interesting stat about them on ESPN radio a few weeks back. Over the last five years,(which they seem to have a good record) the last four games of each season, their record is only 10-10. Not great finishers. I hope they lose. They suck.

DarthQuack
12-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Just an embarassment for the Hurricanes, not that I feel bad for them, beating Va Tech soundly, then laying an egg against Georgia Tech....oh well.....bring on the next bowl game!

UKWildcat
12-31-2005, 01:38 AM
FEllas, trust me, if there is any way to lose a big game the Chokies will do it. Look at their track record. Miami, FSU......

Ok, I'm not going to argue that Tech has the tendency not to show up when it counts. For that part I mostly agree. But Miami, FSU? Please. If you listed crap schools with no football team, your point would be well taken. When Tech played Miami it was #3 vs #5. As for the loss to FSU, ok, the game was in Jacksonville and Tech lost 27-22.

I actually heard an interesting stat about them on ESPN radio a few weeks back. Over the last five years,(which they seem to have a good record) the last four games of each season, their record is only 10-10. Not great finishers.

Yes, this is the part that really bothers me. Not your statement, but the truth to it. Tech needs to fire their God awful offensive coordinator (Turdspring) that has only like 12 or so different plays that he calls. Towards the end of the season all the defenses have Tech figured out so they attempt to shut them down, and for the most part the are succesful.

I hope they lose. They suck.

:cry:

Kidhuman
12-31-2005, 01:51 AM
What Tech needs to do is stop using people named Vick as a quarterback. They both prove they cant handle pressue and mount comebacks way too late. Look at what Ron Mexico did in the championship game, brought them back and lost. Marcus did the same against FSU, actually, Randell did the same last year against Aubrn in the bowl game. I personally think Va. Tech is way overrated. I live in Blacksburg and all I hear is how great they are. They actually beat a bunch of nobodies this year. Sure they beat Ga. Tech, but come on, their QB was getting over a serious virus and couldnt do crap. It would have been alot different if he was healthy. People made a huge deal that they shut out Duke...oh boy, 11 people from SSG can do that.

mtriv73
12-31-2005, 01:07 PM
I blame GT's coach for not switching to the back-up QB after the first quarter of the GT/VT game this year. They might have had a little better chance then. Had he not been getting over viral meningitis I think it would have been closer, but VT still would have won. The team this year was just faster and more talented. Unfortunately, they let that get to their heads and got overwhelmed by Miami's speed. Then they lost it for a while in the third quarter of the FSU game and didn't have enough time to come back after they had recomposed themselves. I was hoping the Maryland game would have been enough of a wake-up call for them (it was ugly, but it was a win.)

I've been surprised by the play calling this year too. I'm really surprised they aren't using the option more this year. With the speed of Vick and the backs they probably could have done well with it. I guess Beamer has his reasons.

UKwildcat, did you go to tech? (I just kind of assumed you went to Kentucky.) I graduated from VT in 1996 with a biology degree and again in 1997 with biochemistry and a chemistry minor.

The Peach Bowl was ugly last night! The whole ACC should be ashamed of the way Miami played. The best part of the game was the LSU cheerleaders.:love:

UKWildcat
12-31-2005, 01:30 PM
UKwildcat, did you go to tech? (I just kind of assumed you went to Kentucky.)

I'm still in the process of getting my degree from Tech. Right now I'm in BIT (Business Information Tech.) and have several credits for HTM (Hosp. Tourism Management) too. I'd like to finish with a major in BIT and minor in HTM, but the important thing is that I get a degree. I had to leave school and come back home to work for financial reasons. I have a few more semesters left but I am going back to finish up this August. Yes, i'll be an old man when I graduate, but that doesn't bother me. I look young anyways. :D

The Peach Bowl was ugly last night! The whole ACC should be ashamed of the way Miami played. The best part of the game was the LSU cheerleaders.:love:

Yea, and I thought it was going to be a good game. :confused: Boy was I wrong.

JetsAndHeels
12-31-2005, 10:25 PM
What Tech needs to do is stop using people named Vick as a quarterback. They both prove they cant handle pressue and mount comebacks way too late.

I am not big fans of either brother, but from what I have seen Marcus seems to be the better qb of the two. UK can correct me if I am wrong here, but Mexico Jr relies more on his passing game than flat out running like his older brother.

People made a huge deal that they shut out Duke...oh boy, 11 people from SSG can do that.

I don't think anyone would or could ever disagree with that!!
When I used to work at Duke Medical Center the school gave out free football tickets...we are talking all the games like against FSU, Miami (prior to joining the acc) and Carolina (the only one I would actually go to). After all this people still wouldn't take the tickets and the stadium was/is always half-empty. :)

UKWildcat
12-31-2005, 11:21 PM
UK can correct me if I am wrong here, but Mexico Jr relies more on his passing game than flat out running like his older brother.

Yes sir, you are correct sir. Young Vick does prefer the passing game (at one point in the season I believe he was 2nd in the Nation in passing efficiency) but he still has the talent to run the ball and that keeps the defenses honest.

Yea, like KH said, I'm sure some of us fellas could get together and put a hurtin' on Dukes football squad. :thumbsup:

Anyone catch the TCU - Iowa St. game earlier today? It was a lot better than I was anticipating. TCU is going to have the second longest win streak in the nation when either Texas or USC loses. Impressive!

UKWildcat
01-02-2006, 09:15 PM
GO HOKIES!!!
Sorry KH but not really. ;)

I don't know if I am being biased or not but I thought the Tech vs. Louisville game has been one of the best game so far.

Where was Auburn today?!?!? I thought they would have rolled right over Wisconsin. And that was a shame that Notre Dame lost to Ohio St. It was a pretty good game anyways. That's pretty cool that AJ Hawk's (Ohio St. LB) HOT girlfriend/fiance(?) is the sister of the Notre Dame QB.

Well back to this Georgia - WVU game. I find it hard to believe that WVU is ahead right now (by two TDs) but I still think Georgia will come back and win. They should anyways.

Only 2 more days before USC meets Texas. I can't wait for this one!!! :D

Kidhuman
01-02-2006, 11:46 PM
GO HOKIES!!!
Sorry KH but not really. ;)

Ok, I believe they got handed that game on that last pass interference call. How the hell do you call a guy for that when all he did was run straight and have the receiver wrap his arms around the defender and fall down??? Complete BS, I dont care what gane it was.

I didnt see the 1st half, but from what I heard the refs really sucked it up in this game.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-03-2006, 12:35 PM
I won't play the woulda-coulda-shoulda game, but OSU was outstanding yesterday! The first couple of series made me think that neither would play any defense, or that the Fiesta was a flag football game. They could end up as the 3rd ranked team if PSU loses tonight.

That pseudo penalty in the Florida-Iowa game on the onside kick was terrible. I have no love for either team (although, the Hawkeyes' uniforms look a lot like the Steelers, so I have a sligth fondness for them... when a win doesn't hurt OSU, of course :p ). I didn't see the Michigan-Nebraska bad calls, however, but since Michigan was involved, and on the worse end of the call, I could care less. :rolleyes:

I think USC is ready to play, so look out Texas.

UKWildcat
01-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Man, I was really surprised at the outcome of the WVU - Georgia game. WVU was ready to play last night. I would have never thought they would have won that game and put up all of those unanswered points at the beginning. I thought GA had a chance of coming back there at the end, but they couldn't stop WVU's rushing so that was it. I was actually hoping for some OT, but oh well. Btw, WVU's freshman QB looked amazing, but throwing and running the ball.

So we got PSU - FSU tonight. I'm sticking with my original pick, FSU. I mainly want to see a good close game though.

Only one more night until all of the questions will be answered. :pleased:

USC or Texas?

CaptainSolo1138
01-04-2006, 08:10 AM
USC or Texas?USC, and not soon enough. I've refused tp watch SportsCenter all week because they won't STFU about this game. I think they forgot that there were other Bowl games this week. They even had EA Sports animations of tonites game:rolleyes:.

Seriously, play the game and give it a rest. Then maybe, just maybe, we'll get to see more than two minutes of NHL highlights.

JetsAndHeels
01-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Wow, the Penn State/FSU game was really something....ended about 1am here.......3 overtimes. That's good football!!

Tonight I will take USC. Texas is a very good team as well, but I just do not think they can match all the weapons that USC has. Should be a great one though. This is the one game fans have been wanting for a while. The best way to let the National Championship be settled-on the field, tonight.
I wouldn't be surprised if Texas comes out strong and even has the lead at halftime. USC has had alot of games where they were trailing at half and then blew the game wide open.

After tonight...Leinert, Bush, possibly Vince Young will be ready for Madden 07.

UKWildcat
01-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Wow, the Penn State/FSU game was really something....ended about 1am here.......3 overtimes. That's good football!!

Yea, that was an excellent game! I didn't think I was going to get to sleep last night.

I still think USC is going to win but I am going to be pulling for Texas. I think its about time that this ridiculous win streak by USC ends. I would, however, be really surprised if Texas can stop Bush. If they can even slow him down (hold him to under 200 yards) then they have a good chance of winning. But in all honesty, I just want to see an awesome game tonight that lives up to all the hype and speculations. :D

DarthQuack
01-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Insane game last night, I'm glad it was closer than it should have been. Two amazing coaches.....two great teams....two horrible kickers :). I was glad to see that Joe Pa got the win though.....another happy year in Happy Valley.

figrin bran
01-05-2006, 12:24 AM
what a game!

Vince Young, the Bruin Nation salutes you!

the longhorn D stopped bush pretty much and stopped lendale white on that crucial 4th down.

UKWildcat
01-05-2006, 12:41 AM
That was one of the best games I have ever watched and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. The best thing is that it lived up to all the hype and met all the expectations.

Vince Young was unstoppable and any NFL team should be honored to have him play on their team. I'm quite confident that if Young returned for another year, Texas could do it again. However, I don't blame him if he leaves early and gets a ginormic check from a very lucky NFL team. USC's Bush, Lienart and LenDale White were phenominal and they all have bright futures in the NFL. I was really impressed with White, my hat goes off to him.

Excellent game!!!

figrin bran
01-05-2006, 02:01 AM
That was one of the best games I have ever watched and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. The best thing is that it lived up to all the hype and met all the expectations.

Vince Young was unstoppable and any NFL team should be honored to have him play on their team. I'm quite confident that if Young returned for another year, Texas could do it again. However, I don't blame him if he leaves early and gets a ginormic check from a very lucky NFL team. USC's Bush, Lienart and LenDale White were phenominal and they all have bright futures in the NFL. I was really impressed with White, my hat goes off to him.

Excellent game!!!

while admittedly i have a strong bias against any trojans, i'm not so sure that bush is this "next gayle sayers" that everyone is making him out to be. i'm not so sure that he'll be as successful on the NFL level. i'd say the one question mark and a huge one at that, is if he can be an every down back. when it's 3rd and short, 4th and short, White always comes in. it's like the Falcon RB's with bush playing the part of warrick dunn. but then i could be wrong and only time will tell...

JetsAndHeels
01-05-2006, 10:54 AM
The game absolutely lived upto the hype that has been surrounding it. Nothing like watching 2 powerhouses exchange blows for 4 quarters. This thing will be on espn classic in a day or two I bet.
I had always thought Vince Young was a very talented athlete, but the media and other outlets have promoted Bush and Leinart to the point where they overshadowed just about anyone else. Well last night Young proved he belongs where he is-in the spotlight as a national champion. I would be very surprised if he did not go pro now since last night he certainly raised his already very high stock among pro scouts.

As far as Reggie Bush is concerned, I think he will be a good pro player, possibly a great one. My concern with him is his size. He has the speed that is needed to be a good back in the nfl, but remember the bread and butter of the pro level game is gaining yardage every play between the tackles. When he is a pro he will see more than just the 19-22 year old college defenders-he will be up against nfl defenses and there is no doubt he will have to adjust. Just look at last night....up against a good Texas D and his numbers were substantially down from what they have been against other opponents. I still think he can be effective, but it may not be right away. Either way, whatever team gets him will have a player with great star potential.

Kidhuman
01-05-2006, 12:36 PM
This thing will be on espn classic in a day or two I bet.

Actually all 4 BCS bowl games are on one day next week.

Slicker
01-05-2006, 01:01 PM
I thought this game was poorly officiated. For being the BIGGEST college game there were tons of missed calls such as the "fumble" at the end of the game, Bush's TD where he was obviously out of bounds, and the lateral where his knee was clearly down.

DarthQuack
01-05-2006, 01:24 PM
I have been watching College Football for probably close to 15 years and besides ND vs FSU in 93 and USC vs ND this season, I haven't seen a better game ever. I admit that referees miss calls, but USC had the game and let Vinsanity come back and show why HE deserves to be the #1 pick, not Bush. Imagine keeping Vince in Texas with the Houston? An amazing slugfest as someone else put it. Great way for the BCS to actually get something right for a change. On a sidenote, I thought Matt Leinhart was a real p*&^y in his interview after the game saying that USC was the better team. Give me a break you little cry baby. You had the chance to get the first down on 4th and 2 and you slipped and fell on your ***. Take the loss like a man.

Kidhuman
01-05-2006, 03:29 PM
If ya go by stats, USC dominated the game except for not putting Bush in the game on 4ht and 2.

CaptainSolo1138
01-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Actually, Chuck Norris won the Rose Bowl (again) this year. He just allowed the two teams to play it out.

UKWildcat
01-05-2006, 06:07 PM
On a sidenote, I thought Matt Leinhart was a real p*&^y in his interview after the game saying that USC was the better team.

I thought the exact same thing. I couldn't believe he said that. Uhhh... you lost, so obviously you weren't the better team... jacka55.

figrin bran
01-05-2006, 08:34 PM
I thought the exact same thing. I couldn't believe he said that. Uhhh... you lost, so obviously you weren't the better team... jacka55.

don't forget that he prefaced that "we were the better team" with "it was a hard fought win...a loss, i guess...whatever". okay plain and simple mr. ballroom dancer, you LOST the game! no if's, and's, but's and get used to the feeling for you'll feel it more often than not next season.

JetsAndHeels
01-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Leinart's comment was out of place, I agree. He really doesn't have anything to be upset for...back to back championship seasons and a pretty impressive win streak. He will go pro and earn good money on a team that needs a backup qb.
Vince Young's stock went way up last night. I would not be surprised if teams take more of a look at him now after his performance.

Kidhuman
01-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Actually, Chuck Norris won the Rose Bowl (again) this year. He just allowed the two teams to play it out.

Too funny.

UKWildcat
01-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Bye Bye little Vick. :dead:

Slicker
01-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Bye Bye little Vick. :dead:I just read that on Yahoo! and he gets what he deserves. I'm sure he'll just go pro so it's not gonna hurt his college career any.

Kidhuman
01-06-2006, 10:13 PM
I dont think he will go pro. Not ready yet. He might head to NLF Europe or Arena league to develop more.

Exhaust Port
01-06-2006, 10:33 PM
He should just take a page out of the Maurice Clarrett playbook and sue the NFL. I figure now that MC has been arrested that he's a shoe-in to be picked up by the Raiders.

Slicker
01-07-2006, 02:39 PM
I dont think he will go pro. Not ready yet. He might head to NLF Europe or Arena league to develop more.Touche, KH. Here's from Yahoo! Link. (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AqbhJ59FMWHqF2YiasQi3HccvrYF?slug=ap-vatech-vickdismissed&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Kidhuman
01-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Dont even have ot read it, I heard it on ESPN Radio. He will go real low.

DarthQuack
01-07-2006, 07:41 PM
What a little a-hole, I hope no one picks him up. I would have beat his *** he spiked me on the field.

Slicker
01-07-2006, 07:53 PM
For those that haven't seen the video (like me until a couple of minutes ago) of Vick stepping on that guys leg here it is.

It's not that bad. (http://media.putfile.com/VT-THUG-1)

figrin bran
01-07-2006, 08:20 PM
i'll bet anything that al davis called up marcus vick already.

UKWildcat
01-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Well, it appears that Vince Young won't be sticking around for another year in college. He has made himself eligible for the NFL draft.

ESPN Article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2284744)

So my question is, for QBs, would you take Vince Young first or M. Lienart? I'd probably go with Young since he can hurt you both running and throwing the ball.

figrin bran
01-08-2006, 06:59 PM
I think the Texans have no choice but to draft Vince Young now and i wouldn't be surprised if they've contacted him already. Bush goes to the Saints and the Lions and the braintrust that is Matt Millen will probably draft Dwayne Jarrett or Santonio Holmes or the best WR available!

Kidhuman
01-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Actually, the Texans picked up Carr's $8 million option and announced they will go with Bush. The Saints stated they will go with Leinhart. Young will go third.

UKWildcat
01-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Young will go third.

Which would appear to be with the Titans.

Steve McNair, who has been mentoring Young, including a visit to watch the Rose Bowl, will be lobbying the Titans to select Young with the third pick, Mortensen reported. Of course, McNair has to re-sign with the Titans for that to happen.

Of course this is speculation for the most part, but I can easily see it happening. McNair has been riddled with injuries the past couple of seasons and he's got to be close to retirement. Also, McNair could pass along a lot of knowledge to help develop Young into a better NFL quarterback. McNair (former NFL MVP) would be an excellent teacher and I'm sure Young would love to learn from him.

UKWildcat
01-09-2006, 06:23 PM
I guess he will never learn.

What an idiot! (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2285819)

:stupid:

CaptainSolo1138
01-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Dude, he was probably drunk and hungry. I'd've pulled a gat on someone if they tried to cut me. Double cheeseburgers and McFlurries know no morals.:p

Slicker
01-09-2006, 07:19 PM
This guy just keeps digging himself deeper and deeper. He keeps this up he's gonna end up like a certain former Ohio St. RB and be without a job. Except for maybe at the restaraunt where this altercation happened.;)

Kidhuman
01-09-2006, 11:54 PM
I guess he wont be going pro.

kool-aid killer
01-14-2006, 04:44 PM
The only game I really care about is Michigan and Nebraska. Michigan kinda sucked a55 this year but that was only because of so many conference losses. They should have no trouble at all with Nebraska.

Please, if anything Nebraska kept Michican't in the game, practically giving them their first two touchdowns. As horrible as the officiating was in the game they still had their opportunities to do something and they didnt. Dont forget, Michican't had players/coaches on the field at the end too, so they would have also gotten a flag and the game would have ended with them still having lost. Personally, i would have rather seen Nebraska play Iowa (due to the states being next to each other) but seeing them push around Michican't was enjoyable.

Slicker
01-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Damn it!! That's why I try to never make predictions. They always come back to bite me in the arse. I'll give you that game hands down KAK. Michigan played it just like they played the rest of the season and how they normally play and that is by underestimating there opponent. They ALWAYS seem to do that and much like in this game it came back to get 'em.