PDA

View Full Version : 12" Line Preview at Hasbro Official Site

mosnab
01-21-2002, 09:26 AM
We get a look at the first of the 12" AOTC line...Obi Wan, Anakin, and Clonetrooper. Thoughts?

http://www.starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews_content.cfm?id=35

Probably a larger pic later today at Star Wars Official site, if it follows as the others have. First look at a clonetrooper toy :)

mosnab

AreTwo-DeeTwo
01-21-2002, 09:57 AM
It looks like the same type of bodies we always get. I don't know I thought they would try to improve upon that a bit and make it more like the Marmit bodies. They never really did try that. They look fine. I assume the same people that buy 12 inch now will buy these and ones that don't will not. So no real need to change anything.
I really want to get a Jango Fett and Zam Wessel. I'll end up with Anakin and a Clonetrooper. maybe later on Obi-Wan.

mosnab
01-21-2002, 10:35 AM
Larger Pic at StarWars.com:

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2002/01/news20020121_0.html

mosnab

JEDIpartner
01-21-2002, 11:04 AM
I discovered that the image at Hasbro will become larger if you click on it. The Anakin isn't too bad. The face seems to be pretty accurate. I really just am not too impressed with the design of the Clonetrooper helmet. He looks like a sad robot puppy dog. Oh, well. Poor Ewan... the picture doesn't seem to do him justice. I suppose I will actually have to see a face detail shot of this one. They don't look too bad overall, though. Much better than their 1/16 counterparts!

pthfnder89
01-21-2002, 11:12 AM
Lol JEDIPartnr! I was thinking pretty much the same thing when I saw the Trooper.

I can see that Hasbro didn't try something radically new with their 12"figs. They look just like the current figures to me, fairly nice detailing but nothing that gets me too excited about them.

OC47150
01-21-2002, 11:52 AM
I'm disappointed to hear the Leia/Boussh figure is delayed again. That's the only I've been looking forward to.

Obehave Kenobi
01-21-2002, 01:04 PM
As a fan of the 12 inch Figs, I was worried Hasbro would take some kind of bold new direction with these as well. I'm glad to see they left them alone. Although, they could have used the better GI Joe bodies on them. Oh, well it doesn't matter. I'm definitely adding these to my April 22 shopping list ( along with the role play sabers and not much else:) )

Lord Tenebrous
01-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Why does Obi-Wan have Mace's hands? :confused:

DARTH DUBIOUS
01-21-2002, 02:25 PM
PUKE ON A STICK!

ugly ugly voodoo dollies!!! big heads and malformed dolly bodies. huge thick as tree trunk legs and spastic looking hands. Ugly disgusting lumps of fetid recycled plastic waste! revolting looking cheap knock off Bee Gees doll Obi Wan and Bee gees doll Anakin and Marvin the paranoid android clonetrooper. foul heineous vomit inducing turdy looking crap!

Not bad I suppose for girly boys who like dollies......

bigbarada
01-21-2002, 02:25 PM
Not any real improvement; but then again not a major step backwards like the 3 3/4" line. Anakin looks alright and I can see myself buying him. Hasbro should really take a hint from Marmit about abandoning the roto-molded heads when it comes to making helmets. Making a hard plastic helmet that fits over a blank head would yield much more accurate results.

jedibear
01-21-2002, 02:55 PM
....arrrrggghh! Why are all the images fro AOTC toys looking like they have shiney paint jobs?!? I keep reminding myself of the many times that we had early pics of Action Collection entries that looking pretty lame only to have the final product actually be pretty cool. Here's hoping that's the case here....

I don't see much evidence of the real-scan here, especially on the Ewan-Obi figure. We'll see better in person though.

I was wishing Hasbro would take a step with these core character and include all the accessories that would go with a given outfit i.e. the poncho we've seen Ani wearing or Obi-Wan's cloak (but then how could they do endless reissues of core characters?)....Here's hoping poor Ewan doesn't end up with a "gaping mouth" figure ala Liam in the EpOne line later on...

It's nice that Hasbro can get yet MORE mileage out of their current stormtrooper get-up...just change the head and viola'! Instant clonetrooper. Sigh.

JT, it looks like we're outta luck on seeing any newer Hasbro bodies with these figures. No new articulated hands & the same stiff posed main bodies we've endured for so long now. (Granted, that's not a complete given fron just these pics but...)

Kenobi must be wearing gloves or something...how else to account for those dark hands?

I hope Hasbro isn't going to have everyone going to the same bootery again! (That's always something that's slightly amusing me about this line in general...be it Imp or Rebel, Jedi or smuggler or pilot...everybody wears the same boots in the SW galaxy!!)

Also...I remember reading (maybe here at SirSteve's) that the packaging was going to be similair to the recently released Luke/Yoda set. AAAAHhhhh! While that set looked nice, one had to be lucky enough to find one that hadn't been on the shelf long, with the cheaper grade of cardboard and the rounded front, those packages didn't hold up well.
Bring back the great flap front boxes!!!!!

Okay...rant over. As I sad above, I want to be proven wrong here. I'm hoping on April 22nd I see these figures and once again an delightfully surprised on how much better they look than the pictures we're getting now....here's hoping.

OC47150
01-21-2002, 03:10 PM
I wonder why Hasbro can't use the same highly articulated bodies for SW that it's using on the newer GI Joes? I'm also a Joe fan and the newest Joe bodystyle -- super articulate Joe, it's called -- is the best. You can put the figure in just about any imagineable pose, including sitting Indian style!

The SW bodies Hasbro is using are 10 years old or older. It's the same Joe-style bodies that came out in the early 1990s.

Tycho
01-21-2002, 05:41 PM
I am happy with the Anakin figure. There it looked like the RealScan worked.

The Clonetrooper might be the second best... The boots seem to have a strap on them that my Sandtroopers don't, so this might be new molds for the armor. Just not too different looking. Then again, maybe Lucas used Stormtrooper armor in the movie - so it makes sense for the toy to recycle stuff if George did. I'm just not too keen on the Clonetrooper design in the first place. I still would have let their faces show, with eyes hidden by visors, OR had them masked just below the eyes, similar to Zam Wessel's veil, but masked off with armor, not cloth. Something to show these troops are human and Republic Soldiers...

Obi-Wan??? Not sure the head sculpt is that great. The Episode One figure was decent, but no RealScan masterpiece. It looks like they just sculpted a beard on the E1 figure for this piece. His hands do look the wrong color, and his tunic is also the wrong color. It should be white, similar to his Episode One outfit. Maybe, depending upon the lighting in the movie, he is wearing a cream color similar to Qui-Gon's. But it is not that tan-orange that this figure is dressed in.

Will I buy them? Yes. But I'm saddened because to make scenes, I planned on getting like 4 Obi-Wans and I don't like this figure That much. I'll have to wait until I see it.

SithDroid
01-21-2002, 06:06 PM
I agree JediPartnr. The Clone trooper does look like a sad puppy dog. I don't like the design of the helmet at all. Obi-Wan and Anakin look alright. The plastic looking hair could go though. Can't they find a way to have real hair like the the Episode I Qui-Gon. Surely they know how to do it.

GNT
01-21-2002, 08:30 PM
I'm not impressed by them at all (the heads dont look right to me) and so I'm not going to buy them :)

derek
01-21-2002, 11:37 PM
well. looks like i gotta buy a bunch more doner bodies. these look OK, and i mean just that. not great, but not awesome. i guess hasbro is content with letting dragon and blue box kick the **** out of them in the quality department. why padme and jango aren't in the initial release is mind numbing. and since hasbro is still using the same 15 year old **** body, i guess the zam weisel we'll get later will be a barbie doll. damn you hasbro!!!!!!!!!!!!

derek
01-22-2002, 12:50 AM
now that i think about it, i don't like the design of the clonetrooper one bit. the helmet looks really stupid. i would of preferred white armor in the style of jango fett.

JediTricks
01-22-2002, 02:54 AM
Jedibear, this may be the first thread I've ever read that was talking to me before I posted in it. ;)

You're absolutely right about the bodies, more same-ol, same-ol. I think Obi-Wan is just a new head on Mace Windu's body (they probably did it so they wouldn't have to use a different outfit - I'm betting this is just a small mistake with the prototype).

I'm also with you in the disappointed in the lack of more accessories. 12" accessories are what got me into 12" SW collecting in the first place, but there have been fewer and fewer quality accessories each wave.

All in all, it seems like the heads have gotten even larger, with less detail, and poorer paint jobs, so I guess I'm on the fence for now till I see 'em in person. After this last year, however, my excitement in 12" Star Wars has faded away to almost nill.

derek
01-22-2002, 10:19 AM
i didn't do this, but thoutht yall might get a laugh outta it:

SithDroid
01-22-2002, 12:31 PM
Funny!

evenflow
01-22-2002, 03:06 PM
The line is looking alright, i think obi-won looks the best.

JetsAndHeels
01-22-2002, 03:19 PM
This line doesnt look bad at all. Hopefully we will see a Jango and a Padme. I will definately pick some of these up in April.

Tycho
01-22-2002, 03:36 PM
There were a LOT of figures I was hoping for from the 12" Line of Episode 2.

The clonetrooper was actually not one of them I wanted:

they were mostly Padme's - as visually (while she's very attractive) she also has the most diverse costumes to display.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Padme as fighter pilot - w. 12" Captain Typho

Padme (in "African Queen" - 'It's been far too long Master Kenobi' w. Senator JarJar 12"

Mini-Mouse Padme - "Please don't look at me that way." - with Anakin

Tatooine white, w. bellybutton showing Padme - with 12" C-3PO

Blue-Tatooine (Mexican afghan look) Padme - with Owen & Beru 12" 2-pack.

Backless Naboo Creamcycle Padme - with Anakin

Woodstock Hippie Pade - with Anakin "I'd be much too frightened to tease a Senator."

Black Domnimatrix Padme - with Anakin - "We could keep it a secret."

Blue jumpsuit with the wrinkles and headband Padme - with Obi-Wan. [Anakin voiceover] "Just being around her again is intoxicating."

Padme in white (as prisoner) w. Winged Geonosian (or Poggle the Lesser)

Anakin and Shmi Skywalker (mother and son, 2-pack?)

R2D2 - 6" (re-release the R2 w. Tools)
Ki Adi Mundi - 12"
Plo Koon - 12"
Yoda - 6" - with legs - use the Luke exclusive Yoda - new head
Count Dooku
Massift beast (vs. Obi-Wan in 2 pack?)
Jango Fett and Boba Fett (2 pack)
12" Destroyer Droid that transforms
Mas Ameeda and Chancellor Palpatine (2 pack)

of course

Obi-Wan
Anakin

and I was really hoping they'd make exclusives or mass-release:

Zam Wessel's SPEEDER w. Zam Wessel (action figure - not doll)

Anakin's SPEEDER - that seats 2 figures (sold separately).

Anyway, with a Security Droid (repaint) - I think this is about all I want. How big would a Thranta Beast w. Kaminoan be? That might be cool, as would a 12" Mace with Reek.

The point being, some of these are good ideas - but there's not too many things that could be done for 12" E2. Some of them get me excited, but mostly it is an opportunity for a large Portrait Edition Padme collection. Including other characters with her might be the smart way to go. (with weapons and accessories appropriate to the scene).

As you might guess, people arranging displays will really wind up wanting extra Anakin's and Obi-Wan's. There's not much need for CloneTroopers. The vehicles would be nice if they cared to do them. A 12" Jedi Starfighter is small enough it might be possible... I highly doubt it though.

But I still would enjoy assembling the collection I dream of up above here.

What do you all want?

jedibear
01-23-2002, 02:22 AM
..at those great titles Tycho came up with from Padme's various getups. While I don't think Hasbro direct will be quite as...well, direct in their titles, I'm sure we'll be seeing some of them..probably in another psuedo-Barbie line that'll sit on the shelves.

I like the idea of the big beasties or vechicle sets, but judging from the possible price point & the way the Dewback/Stormtrooper ones are still sitting and the Target Tarpals/Kaadu having to be so heavily discounted before it moved (it's still one of my favorite peices from Episode One) I don't think any will see the light of day, excpet maybe as an exclusive.

OC47150
01-23-2002, 08:48 AM
I'm going to hold judgement on the AOTC 12" line until I see them in person. Sometimes pictures don't do the product justice.

There's another line of action figures I collect. On the packaging are pictured prototypes, and there is a BIG difference between the prototypes and the actual product.

N-2PF
01-24-2002, 09:35 AM
I like the 12-inchers staying compatible to the ones from the past.
And even compatible to Barbie.
I wouldn't like the McFarlane-style: small heads, big fists, one pose, not undressable
as ugly and as playable like the 3 3/4-inchers.

derek
01-24-2002, 08:49 PM
you're not the first to say they like the fact that hasbro is keeping their current line of 12 inch figures the same as previous releases. however, i don't agree. have you seen the quality of product that companies like blue box, dragon or sideshow toys produces? the quality is outstanding, and dragon can be a tad expensive, but the other two companies both have reasonably priced product.

in their action collection, hasbro does a really good job with the clothing. the heads sculpts are good, but too big. the bodies, however, are horrible. all hasbro would have to do is decrease the size of the head and use their current "super-joe" body. a good example of the correct head size is the bespin luke released in 1997. that is the only star wars fig with the correct size head. if they air-brushed the head, it would even improve the detail. and i would gladly pay $10 more for these changes.

don't even get me started on barbie doll bodies. if hasbro releases a zam weisel or padme with this body, i may jump off my roof!:crazed: i just bought the two perfect dark figures by blue box and i must say, this is the best female action figure body ever made. check it out if you can. it is awesome.