PDA

View Full Version : Lava Reflection Ani & Obi-Wan at Target without cases?

JediTricks
12-13-2005, 09:02 PM
The Lava Reflection figures without their collectors cases look like regular basic carded figures from the front. I was at Target in Duarte, CA last weekend and came across a bunch of each of these sitting on the pegs with the other basic figures, no cases to be found anywhere, and they rang up at the clearance price of $9 and low change (like $9.28 or something). Did some jerkwad risk his freedom wasting all that time liberating those figures from their cases and then stealing just the blank collectors cases when he could have way easier got the same cases from the same Target in the exclusive 5-packs, or did Target ditch their packaging for some strange reason when they went on clearance? Anybody else seen this?

starwarsfan1
12-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Maybe Target is getting desperate trying to sell these things. This might be a way to trick people into buying them making it look like there normal basic figures instead of overpriced exclusive figures. I dont know maybe I'm just being paranoid.:D

JediTricks
12-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Actually, you could be onto something, I have heard some Targets are buried in the unsold leftovers of these, and that might be a way to get them to sell.

decadentdave
12-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Sounds like Target is ripping us off. If they want these to move then just reduce the price on them. Why go through the trouble of breaking open the star cases? Is Hasbro even aware of this? Hopefully they will learn and lower the price on their Grievous figure. Question is: will Grievous come in a plastic case? The photographs on Hasbro's site do not include it so can we assume it will be at regular cost like the Seperation of the Twins?

bobafrett
12-13-2005, 11:55 PM
Maybe the guy/gal purchased them, took them home, took the figures out of the Star Case, and returned the figures for a full refund, with the service desk employee knowing none the better. He/she keeps the star cases. When the figures were returned to the toy department, the associate there noticed the Star Cases missing, and marked them down. That sounds most logical.

decadentdave
12-14-2005, 12:04 AM
That seems like a LOT of wasted effort just to scam some Star Cases, especially since Target is marking down the 5-packs of cases on clearance anyways.

skywalker1972
12-14-2005, 12:26 AM
who really cares anyways????????? i mean really ?!?!?!

Kidhuman
12-14-2005, 02:10 AM
I agree, who cares about these. They are poop in a case and poop with out it

Hexagram520
12-14-2005, 04:08 AM
i guess i'm out of the loop...what grievous are you talking about?

Jayspawn
12-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Hey I found Lava Obi-Wan and Anakin on Clearence last night for $8.09! Along with the Collector's Cases. They were already in the Clearence section. I knew it would happen. I'll bet they go lower.

Slicker
12-14-2005, 05:10 PM
I would have to say that someone bought 'em and stole the case. Yes it seems like alot of work but he got free star cases out of it didn't he?

i guess i'm out of the loop...what grievous are you talking about?This is the one they're talking about. (http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/news/starwars/87067.jpg)

JediTricks
12-14-2005, 05:16 PM
That could be the case that they were all bought and returned, but I dunno, it was a lot of these same figures, Targets in my area are generally pretty picky about such returns.

Slicker
12-14-2005, 05:27 PM
That definitely is weird JT. I haven't seen anything like that at the Targets in my area and they too are just swamped with these Lava figures.

You could try and talk to someone at the store because now I'm kinda curious as to why. Maybe it was a running change at Hasbro?

JediTricks
12-14-2005, 10:04 PM
I doubt I'll get a chance to get out that way again, but if I do, I'll be sure to ask.

timmae
12-15-2005, 04:17 PM
my targets have not marked these down. they have to go way lower for me to pick up an extra. hope they don't scalp us on the grev.:mad:

TheDarthVader
12-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Hmmm. Anyway, I was waiting for the Vader lava figure (anakin) to go down in price. The ones at my Target have not gone down yet, and all they have left are Obi Wan Kenobis. I am not going to get either one now. Oh well, they are not worth $13 EACH! I am not too worried about it.

I think someone bought a lot of those figures and returned them without cases, just as someone has stated.

B.
TDV

El Chuxter
12-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Targets are pretty picky about returns, but if it's unopened (or appears to be) and someone has a receipt, they'll do it.

I wouldn't be surprised if some scalper bought a lot of these, realized few people wanted them, took the cases off since the UPC is on the card, and openly told the service desk employee that he thought he could make a few bucks but no one wants to pay more than retail. And then he had some cases he thought he could pawn off at $1 each.

vulcantouch
12-15-2005, 11:42 PM
-well now they're down to $6.48; just bagged a couple for tokyo pal at glendale targ :)

jimmymiro12
12-16-2005, 04:14 PM
There could be many diffrent reasons for this

1. maybe they thought they were just like that and it was a new way to protect them nd then they had to remove them.

2. This is prob. what happened they may have been damaged and crushed by accident and they decided to sell them as is.

jimmy m

stad
12-17-2005, 02:08 AM
There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that these were just returned, without the cases. Most people at the Service Desk don't know that they are supposed to have those cases, especially with the added rush and new employees during the Christmas season. And they look perfectly normal to the untrained eye. Now, I would guess that, as someone above stated, they were probably bought originally to re-sell, and with that failure, figured they could at least get some free cases out of the deal. I wouldn't think anyone would go to the trouble of buying them just to get the cases.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-23-2005, 11:22 PM
I've seen these now on clearance after a three-week hiatus from the pegs and all have the clamshells. They must have been a return sans container. I still think $6.48 is high but I never got a non-KFC Ani and the figure stand is pretty cool.

What's up with the racks and racks of collectors' cases? I never realized how deep Target was in with these.

UKWildcat
12-24-2005, 12:46 AM
What's up with the racks and racks of collectors' cases? I never realized how deep Target was in with these.

I haven't a clue but I realized the exact same thing. My Target used to have maybe one or two pegs of the cases and that was it. It seems that now that they have gone on clearance they are all over the place. The SW section (whats left of it) has atleast 8 pegs of cases and they are also scattered about on the end of every other toy isle. Kinda makes you wonder where all these damn things came from and where they used to be?

JediTricks
12-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Ok, I guess that's the situation then. Some Target employee should get in trouble for taking these back in this condition... come to think of it, they might have been done BY a Target employee, I notice they showed up right when the clearance price kicked in so getting full credit would mean knowing WHEN to return them.

UKWildcat
12-27-2005, 02:40 AM
Ut oh, JT could be on to something here.

Jango Speck
01-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Found these in the plastic cases, clearanced for $3.24 each today.

JediTricks
01-05-2006, 06:07 PM
So did I, I ended up buying a set because I am a sucker. :p They had cases, so I will probably recycle the cases for other figs.

Slicker
01-05-2006, 06:20 PM
It's a sad, sad day when they clearance exclusive figures for a quarter of what they originally sold for.

JediTricks
01-05-2006, 06:32 PM
They clearance them down at the bottom for what they paid per unit, making no profit at all. They clearance basic figures when they get to the end for like $1.74 usually and those sell for almost 4 times as much at MSRP, so it really isn't that outrageous, just surprising that any exclusive figure would get to clearance at all.

Jango Speck
01-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Aside from the action gimmicks, I actually like these figures. It was nice to get a set to open for so cheap. If only they would clearance the ships- that would be cool (Droid Tri-fighter, ARC-170, etc.). I did get a large-wing Tie-Fighter for $28.

DarthQuack
01-07-2006, 08:16 PM
If anyone finds any of these for cheap clearance can they pick it up for me or send me a PM if they have extras? Thanks.

lukesky27
01-30-2006, 07:22 PM
I know that I am a little late on this one...but, I found the same thing at my local Target. Someone bought the figures, removed the cases and returned them. I checked the prices on them thinking that they may be clearance, and they were regular price still. What the heck? I left them there and noticed that somone bought them later that day when we walked back through Target from the mall.

D

JediTricks
01-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Well, there you have it then, I guess people did do this. And as it turned out, for no reason, Target was flooded with collectors case 5packs for $2.48 recently.