PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with Ebay sellers??????

Kidhuman
12-16-2005, 10:58 PM
I have been looking on Ebay tonight. I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-ROTS-Republic-Gunship-MIB-VHTF-SOLD-OUT_W0QQitemZ6023171472QQcategoryZ101610QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

5 cents BIN for a gunship and 65 dollars shipping? Holy jeezzzzz, what has gotten into people?

scruffziller
12-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Simply a despicable underhand move of deception to get some unsuspecting poor sap.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Look, he's from Modesto, California! Looks like George is trying to hoodwink the fanboys while he still can. :D

Jedibill
12-17-2005, 12:05 PM
because Ebay charges a fee for selling the item not for the shipping cost i think.

UKWildcat
12-17-2005, 12:44 PM
because Ebay charges a fee for selling the item not for the shipping cost i think.

You guessed it.

What this seller is doing is against the rules and regulations of Ebay. You are not allowed to have a low BIN and charge an outrageous amount for shipping.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-circumventing.html

"Unreasonable shipping or handling costs - Listings with low prices but unreasonably high shipping or handling costs."

If you wanted to you could drop eBay a message to bring it to their attention and they will contact the seller, penalize them and pull the listing.

Slicker
12-17-2005, 01:08 PM
If you wanted to you could drop eBay a message to bring it to their attention and they will contact the seller, penalize them and pull the listing.Done. I just emailed them about it. Not because I care, it was more just me being an a55.:whip:

Deoxyribonucleic
12-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Done. I just emailed them about it. Not because I care, it was more just me being an a55.:whip:

Exxxxcellent! :twisted:

Bacta Beast
12-17-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't know If I blame the guy though. I mean, sure I can think that's too much for that piece altogether, but I know how much ebay and paypal fees cut into your profit. If you're a buisness and your moving alot of product sure it's fine but if you're just a private collector who's just selling off parts of his or her collection, the fees can add up real quick to point where it doesn't make since to use their service. My wife has found another auction site called epier, and it looks like their fees are alot more reasonable. I think it would be great if consumers enmasse began to look at other options to ebay to get them to realize how unhappy many people are with their service. I just think that ebay needs to lower some of their fees, and maybe this kind of thing wouldn't happen.

Slicker
12-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Not to shabby. I already got an email response from them. It doesn't give any specifics about what's gonna be done but I'm surprised that they replied so quickly.

We will thoroughly review the listing(s) or Want It Now post(s) you
have
reported for Fee Circumvention violations. We often rely on members
you to bring these violations to our attention.

We base our decisions for this offense on the content of the item
description, item title, and shipping information. We recognize that
there are ways to circumvent eBay fees that are not reflected in the
listings or posts themselves. If you suspect that a seller is avoiding
eBay fees outside the listing or post text, please contact us through
one of the following Webforms:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_us/_base/index.html?tier0=bidding_buying.html

a) In Section 1, select "Ask about bidding or buying;"
b) In Section 2, select "Problems with sellers;"
c) In Section 3, select "Seller ended the listing early to avoid
reserve price fees."

or,

http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_us/_base/index.html?tier0=bidding_buying.html

a) In Section 1, select "Ask about bidding or buying;"
b) In Section 2, select "Problems with sellers;"
c) In Section 3, select "Seller asked for additional fees after the
listing ended."

In light of our privacy policy, we cannot share any action taken by
eBay
with respect to this listing or post. If we determine that the listing
violates eBay policy, we may:

- Send the seller an informational alert;
- Remove the listing; or
- Suspend the seller.

Account suspensions are usually reserved for those sellers that
continuously disregard policy.

For more information on eBay's Fee Circumvention Policy, please visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-circumventing.html

Thank you for your report.

Regards,

The eBay Community Watch Team

Kidhuman
12-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Bacta, I have sold stuff on Ebay, they take a percentage of what it sells for, not a huge cut, but thats why its free. To charge 70 bucks shipping is outrageous.

Slicker I was just going to rat him out.

bobafrett
12-17-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm glad someone reported this.

JediTricks
12-18-2005, 02:37 PM
The more people that report this sort of thing, the more likely it is to get dealt with. As you can see, even with the report here and the report I made it's still not taken down. This is a clear listing violation, I think ebay should be reporting these to the USPS, it's probably federal mail fraud.

Slicker
12-18-2005, 03:47 PM
I think ebay should be reporting these to the USPS, it's probably federal mail fraud.I never thought of that but yes they should. If you look at most auctions that is where they get most of there money.

I myself just got into it with an Ebay seller that I bought from. I paid $5 for shipping and I got my figure in a plain bubble mailer and shipping was $1.39. I don't care about the price difference but the figure came mangled all to hell. I wrote him and he tried blaming the Post Office for handling it improperly. I told him that for that much shipping he could've put it in a box and STILL have had $2.00 extra. We eventually resolved so tis all good but some of this shipping gets ridiculous. I also paid $40 for shipping on a $10 item before (I still paid about $20 under retail but still...)

Bacta Beast
12-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Bacta, I have sold stuff on Ebay, they take a percentage of what it sells for, not a huge cut, but thats why its free. To charge 70 bucks shipping is outrageous.

Oh I agree the charge is way to much. But it's obviously not for shipping. He's brking the rule by trying to circumvent the regular ebay fees. It's a toy that he may have paid anywhere from $25 to $35 for and shipping should be between $5 to $10. I wouldn't hold it against the guy for trying to make a buck but it seems like he could've done the whole thing for $50 and ended up okay. But then there's the fees, and that's my point it's not free! I don't know why you would think that. There are listing fees, extra charges for different ways to highlight your auction (even bold type print:upset: ). The higher the bidding for your auction goes the greater percentage ebay charges as a "final value fee".http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html Reserve price fees if you choose to use that option, as well as "buy it now fees". And that doesn't even get into the Paypal (owned by ebay) fees! It's possible to possible to have an auction end at $65 and have to pay over $5 in fees, and than there's the actual shipping and handling. You can't always find a box that's just the right size for the item for free.
I'm not saying what this guy did was right, I'm just saying I'm not surprised when I know how much going through ebay can cut into a person's profit. It would have been different if this guy was charging a decent price for the auction and still overcharging for the shipping. As it sets he's just trying to get $65 out of a $30 dollar, at least $5 of wich I'm sure will be eaten up by fees and actual shipping cost.
I'm not against ebay making a buck, I just think they've gotten too greedy.

VaderhitsJarjar
12-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Honestly I think the $5.00 shipping charges are crazy!
They turned me off Ebay for a long time - besides I use my lunch time to find all the hard to find figures when I get into those starwars manic fits.

I've been selling items from time to time and find people are quicker to bid when you offer .99 shipping or free shipping. I mean - I usually pay 4.99-5.99 for a figure and sell it 14.99 - 28.99 not bad.
I really enjoyed this thread - I laughed out loud and people looked over at me wondering how my work could be this funny.

ebay would make a ton more money plus add many more folks into their community if they cut their fees in half. But - it is not my company nor do they pay me for advise.

Bacta Beast
12-20-2005, 11:25 AM
$28.99 for one figure?!:eek: Now that's crazy!!:crazed: Seriously though, depending on the item, $5 for shipping is not always outragous. Now for one figure sure, unless it's going a longer distance or weighs more (like Ephant Mon) or requires better packaging to protect the figure. I had cases myself where the shipping charges through the USPS went way up just because the destination was California:rolleyes: ! I know that some auctioners use the shipping charges to aboid ebay fees, and as a way to make money they think they won't make on an auction, but the reality of shipping charges is they can rack up pretty fast (just like ebay & paypal charges). Unless you're auctioning something as a charity or just because you have something you want to give someone a deal on (in wich case why go through ebay), than why do it if you're not going to make any money?!

darthvyn
12-20-2005, 11:25 AM
when i sell on ebay, i bump up the shipping by a buck and a half or so... just to take the bite out of the fees. that said, any toys i sell i ship priority mail, which starts at $3.85. add a buck and a half, and you got $5.35 for base price - but they get it in 2-3 days. i've had some items that required up to $17 for priority mail. shipped a huge 18" hellboy figure to scotland for like, $25!

there are sellers that charge $7-9 but use ground mail or something. THAT'S shilling. what this guy is doing is outright ludicrous.

by the way, he relisted.

Kidhuman
12-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Well at least he relisted at a decnt price. 50 to buy and 18 for sgipping priority. But he could go flat rate and cost 8 bucks for shipping.

darthvyn
12-20-2005, 02:27 PM
the one linked as "this item or another like it has been relisted" isn't even the same one he originally relisted - it was the same exact auction! it's totally edited now... click on the revision details link... the entire listing is changed!

relist:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6023809591

revisions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&item=6023809591

Jedibill
12-20-2005, 05:11 PM
Dang if you live in Florida maybe this guy is the reason you can' find a Gunship.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-STAR-WARS-ROTS-REPUBLIC-GUNSHIP-MIB-XMAS_W0QQitemZ6023792421QQcategoryZ101609QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

InsaneJediGirl
12-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Crazy stuff. The sad part is the people who actually buy the items and pay. So if people keep buying because of some reason (idiots ;-)) then its going to keep happening.

I've paid a little over for shipping,no big deal there except when I paid $6 and it costs the person $1.30 or something similar. I know they are trying to offset the costs for mailers,but the General Dollar sells bubble mailers 12 for $2,it doesnt cost that much.

jedi-cpa
12-22-2005, 02:16 PM
beats full price and some of the outrageous shipping charges out there.

VaderhitsJarjar
12-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Honestly if I put the figure in a medium box I can buy for .50 -$100 depending on where I am - the shipping on average is $3.30-3.15. Ebay charges apx. $1.15 + % of the final bid and then if I use paypal it is another .90.

:ninja:

Usually I don't use paypal but half of the questions i receive ask if I use paypal when I have it typed in my item description.

Has anyone tried this...
allowing folks the option to use paypal but charge an extra .50 in shipping if they opt for paypal payment. It makes sense to me but let me know if you tried it and it didn't work out as well as thought.

UKWildcat
12-23-2005, 06:35 PM
Has anyone tried this...
allowing folks the option to use paypal but charge an extra .50 in shipping if they opt for paypal payment. It makes sense to me but let me know if you tried it and it didn't work out as well as thought.

Can't do that either. Just like you can't tell the buyer that if they choose to use paypal as a form of payment, they have to cover the paypal fees or pay an additional percentage of the final value. You basically can't do anything remotely sketchy to avoid paying fees or making the customer pay the fees. All you can do is make your shipping costs more, but not outrageously high.

The way I avoid Paypal fees is by having two accounts set up. One business (for credit card payments where every transaction has fees) and one personal (no fees whatsoever). I state in my auction that if you want to pay with a credit or debit card you have to send the money to a different account and I provide the instructions to do so. If you use an existing paypal balance or direct transfer from a bank account, you can use ebays checkout process. This saves me a bunch of money in paypal fees, but you have to have two different accounts with two different banks.

Sadly, the only way to get around the eBay fee is to up the shipping cost. I do not believe in this method so I just take my loses and offer fair and exact shipping. I like to think that if I offer exact shipping costs, my item ends at a higher price than it would with the high shipping costs. No real way to know for sure, but thats what I like to think. ;)

Anyways... I was just snooping around on the ol' eBay and found this.

linky (http://cgi.ebay.com/Commander-GREE-in-UTAPAU-SHADOW-TROOPER-CASE-UNIQUE_W0QQitemZ6024288099QQcategoryZ101609QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

What do you all think? Legit or fake? I'm leaning towards the fake.

Jedibill
12-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Why not just start the bidding at the price you won't for item then every dollor above that is just profit even after fees.

JediTricks
12-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Why is it that sellers always want the buyer to pay for the insurance? If something does go wrong, the sender (seller) is the one that would profit from the postal insurance claim, not the intended recipient (buyer), and the seller is the party responsible to make restitutions for the item. So really you're paying extra for something that is the seller's responsibility.

UKWildcat
12-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Ok... so has anybody checked out that link I provided, a few posts up? If you haven't, check it out and let me know what you think. The auction is ending soon. It's a crazy world. :crazed:

bobafrett
12-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Ok... so has anybody checked out that link I provided, a few posts up? If you haven't, check it out and let me know what you think. The auction is ending soon. It's a crazy world. :crazed:

$180 for a possibly fake figure? I hope that if it is a fraud, the guy who ends up winning, doesn't pay up.

Slicker
12-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Ok... so has anybody checked out that link I provided, a few posts up? If you haven't, check it out and let me know what you think. The auction is ending soon. It's a crazy world. :crazed:Good lord. Here we go again with another figure pulled from its package and put in a wrong bubble. It's obvioulsy a fake. I'm not sure how figures are packaged at the factory but I would assume that they put all of one figure in this place all of another here and so on. It's not as if they employees are just sat down with a barrel of action figures and told to make the cardback match the figure.:rolleyes:

Bacta Beast
12-28-2005, 11:44 AM
:shocked: $180:stupid: "A fool and his money".

JediTricks
12-28-2005, 04:55 PM
This thing screams "fake"

Kidhuman
12-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Fake like Pam Anderson's .......

Jargo
12-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Y'KNOW. IF A PERSON WANTS SOMETHING BADLY ENOUGH, THEY'LL PAY WHAT IT COSTS. IF THEY WON'T THEN THEY DIDN'T WANT IT BADLY ENOUGH AT ALL.

oops, caps lock, but yeah. I've paid crazy prices on shipping just to get stuff. And who's to say what intentions the buyer has. could be someone who collects fakes.There's people out there collect weirder. For me, cost is relative to budget, disposable income and desire.

Slicker
07-18-2006, 07:25 PM
I just reported another eBay user for circumventing the fees with ridiculously high shipping.

I'm by no means an arsehole but nearly $100 to ship something from England? That's just a bit much.

Here's the link. (http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-OTC-ACTION-FIGURE-DIORAMA-PLAYSET_W0QQitemZ300006819307QQihZ020QQcategoryZ90 915QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

UKWildcat
07-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Nice work Slick, on both digging up one of our eBay threads, and reporting that seller. I would have done the same thing; $100 is a tad too much. lol

I'll report people who circumvent fees if they are outrageous. I think eBay should reward us for doing so too. We are basically making more money for eBay Inc. for doing good deeds in reporting such activities so why not be rewarded? It only makes sense. :rolleyes:

figrin bran
07-18-2006, 09:05 PM
at $100 for shipping, it had better be delivered instantly by Superman or the Flash right after payment!

Kidhuman
07-18-2006, 09:10 PM
I just reported another eBay user for circumventing the fees with ridiculously high shipping.

I'm by no means an arsehole but nearly $100 to ship something from England? That's just a bit much.

Done. I just emailed them about it. Not because I care, it was more just me being an a55.:whip:

Kind of condradicting yourself eh?

2-1B
07-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Good job Slick, I can't even view it because you got it yanked. lol

UKWildcat
07-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Wow! That was quick. lol

Kidhuman
07-19-2006, 06:16 AM
Dang maybe Slick worked out an outside ebay deal with the dude.

2-1B
07-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Yeah, congrats on getting a discount shipping rate of $80, Slick. ;)

I'll have your package mailed out tomorrow morning. lol lol lol

Slicker
07-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Good job Slick, I can't even view it because you got it yanked. lolMan, I am totally awesome!!!

I'm gonna have to scour it more to **** people off.

Maybe I'll look for his auction again.:twisted:

JediTricks
07-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Aww, it's already gone! What was it? If it was like a refrigerator, $100 from UK ain't so bad. :p

Kidhuman
07-19-2006, 04:34 PM
It was the display stand from the EBK.

Slicker
07-19-2006, 07:42 PM
It was the display stand from the EBK.I think it was that repro one that was sold by a British company. I forget the name of it though but they were selling them or around $60 or so BRAND NEW.

Kidhuman
07-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Ok, I know which one it was. From that special set or something.