PDA

View Full Version : The Price Increase

Tycho
12-21-2005, 02:10 PM
They're going to be $6.99? That's a rumor right now, not a fact. The facts are that Wal-Mart, TRU, and Target will do what they want with pricing the figures and MSRPs are generally higher than what the gross retailers sell them for. This is done so that Hasbro can attract more buyers thinking "you mean we pay $4.50 for them and can sell them for almost $7!" Target, et. all might also initially release them at $6.99 and discover that they are not selling out like ROTS did and so they adjust the price down from there.

In any case, for a diorama builder and "non-replacer" like myself, I won't be buying that many figures in the first place from the 2006 assortments (3 or 4 out of the first 14 or so). But I want like 8 Hem Dazons or more (as 'filler' aliens for scenes) so I'm still not thrilled about paying $6.99 for them.

It's not the impact on my budget. With buying so few figures next year, I won't be worried about a budget. It's that I'm over-paying for something worth $5 bucks to me and I'm not getting an increase in value - let alone I assign no value to the holograms but consider it an annoyance if anything.

Ah well. I needed to start a rant thread about something and this topic was just screaming out at me for some negative attention.

JediTricks
12-21-2005, 02:33 PM
To be honest, I'm not even remotely surprised, this keeps happening in this line over and over, and it usually comes with the addition of some pointless bauble that is intended to pretend like it's jacking up the value when it's really just a few pennies on the cost and meant to justify the price-increase they were going to commit anyway. And what a surprise, the TSC line comes with a BIG silly bauble, those holo things. At least Hasbro has finally figured out that doing it in a movie year like with Ep 1 only leads to disaster.

I can tell you one thing for sure, at $7 a pop I will be a hell of a lot more cautious about which figures I buy, I bought several ROTS figures I really didn't want simply because they were $5 rather than $6.

JON9000
12-21-2005, 03:48 PM
It looks like I will be sticking to the OT figures and passing on PT stuff. For 6.99, the Han re-release should be VOTC Han in Saga packaging. I think 10 or so of the announced figures are really worthwhile for me.

Boussch
AT-AT Driver
Veers
Derlin
Hem Dazon
Han Carbon
Power Droid
R5
Sandy
Chirpa
Jerjerrod

BTW, I am more into the figure stands than the stupid holograms.

Tycho
12-21-2005, 04:38 PM
I wasn't paying attention. They also come with stands? They ought to be "Clear Stands" so that we can use them in any diorama. Harrison Ford didn't walk around the set on black signs that read "Star Wars." If they are clear stands, then fine. That's nice.

Holograms are trickier. Little ones? Let me see:

Princess Leia (packaged with '99 R2D2)
Darth Vader (ought to be with Veers)
Nute Gunray & Rune Haako (ought to have been with OOM-9)
Sio Bibble (should have been with Padme handmaiden, but she was Rabe)
Theed Palace (should come with R2D2)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Kamino) - packaged with Yoda in Council Chair (saga)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Geonosis, lightsaber drawn - packaged with Bail Organa Saga)
Destroyer Droid (should have been packaged with Padme Droid Factory)
Mace Windu (should have been packaged with Anakin Evolutions Set)

Large ones:

Emperor Palpatine head bust, with Vader 500
Imperial Captain - with Vader
Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight - Saga Jabba's wave
SENATOR Palpatine - TPM
Nute Gunray - TPM
Sio Bibble - TPM

I left out some stuff and didn't really think about ROTS figures at all.

JediTricks
12-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Yeah, they come with stands, flatter than the OTC versions, the movie name is embossed on the top of the stand and the front has the character's name painted on.

The holos aren't even holos from the movies, just "here's something from the movies we made small and cast in blue plastic".

Ric Olie
12-21-2005, 05:24 PM
I was just starting the get excited by the 2006 line and this rumor is a bucket of cold water. The figures are already a dollar over priced so to increase to 6.99 really makes me mad as I only have a limited budget to spend of figures.

Since there are no more movies to support the line most likely my local Walmarts will cut the Star Wars section to 6 pegs and will only restock every three to four months like the droughts of 2003 and 2004.

I'll have to be extremely picky when I buy next year.

LTBasker
12-21-2005, 06:05 PM
IIRC, the $6.99 price is coming from Target but they're notorious for jacking up the price. Hopefully, wal-mart will not be as pricy. If they are though, I think I'm going to have to sit this line out then. Not just because $7 is $7, but THESE FIGURES AREN'T WORTH $7!

Spawn figures - $7-10
Marvel Legends - $7-9
Batman Begins/The Batman - $7-8
6" Batman - $7-9
Spider-Man Classics - $7-9
Justice League Unlimited - FIVE DOLLARS PER REGULAR FIGURE, TEN DOLLARS FOR A 3 PACK.

STAR WARS FIGURES DO NOT MATCH UP TO THESE SCALES NOR DETAIL IN MOST CASES. Compare a Star Wars figure to a Spawn figure at Wal-Mart and you will NOT see a comparable quality for the same price! NO.

$6 was bad enough, $7? Forget it. If these things go up to $7 I'm not buying them at all. They're not worth it.

What do we get for $7 anyways? A mediocre paint application, usually standard detail, not even a handful of accessories, SCOTCH TAPE SEALING THE BUBBLE and some mediocre holo figure.

Sorry, had to vent. I'm tired of being screwed over by Hasbro when all I've done is buy their stuff. Completist in me be damned, for $7 these things can rot on the pegs.

Blue2th
12-21-2005, 06:18 PM
At $7 a piece X 12 in a case. That's $84. I don't feel bad at all about ordering some of these cases online at $79 +shipping. Seems to me it's about even or better than running around eating up gas, trying to find hard to find figures, hoping to get mint ones. The Hoth wave looks like a good one to buy online.

Tycho
12-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Batman, Spider-Man, etc. doesn't cost toy manufacturers what Lucas charges for his license. That's part of it. I'm not defending the price increase. It ticks me off -but that's a part of it.

Lucas is not Steven Spielberg or James Cameron, etc. Peter Jackson is surpassing him. What Lucas was good at was marketing Star Wars. I'm not sure how much Spielberg made on Jurassic Park stuff, but it is the only line I can compare SW to. WB as a corporation, etc. owned Batman, and Marvel as a corporation (I doubt Stan Lee) owned Spider-Man, X-men, etc. It was already a genre by itself. Lucas developed Star Wars all on his own and while Fox financed ANH, Lucas nearly bankrupted himself buying all the rights to it and recouped with ESB (hence the Holiday Special).

So every time Hasbro can shove a price increase at us, they are trying to profit from dealing with Uncle George who is milking it for all its worth. ILM cost too much for them to continue doing Star Trek, etc. So George sleeps well at his home at night while we sleep in front of Wal-Mart and Target. If we could learn to hate Star Wars, we could get out of this rut, but that's not likely to happen.

As to the scale and detail? Kenner orignally decided on this scale so they could make ships and vehicles. It was the first line of its kind - another reason why 30 years later we are so addicted. But economics dictate what sells and we are in a war-time, recessive market, so don't expect the playsets and vehicles like we should've gotten (Ewok Village, Death Star, AT-TE, etc) The scale probably dictates the level of detail the figures can handle. They did experiment though: Unleashed, Force Battlers, JediForce, Epic Force, Mega-Deluxe, etc. I guess we don't support those lines enough to take that route (Unleashed 7" should have though). I'm sure some of the price problems were Lucas-caused. Imagine if the 7" Unleashed were articulated? Hasbro didn't do this because they could recoup some profit margin on the 3 3/4" perhaps by making figures the same size as LOTR etc. but not articulating or accessorizing them. Then again, I might be full of it and they might not compare profit margins across product lines like that.

What I'd really like to know is if Steven Spielberg set up a licensing division to take royalties from Jurassic Park (Hasbro also) and if they could have kept that going, either by comics, or inventing new kinds of dinosaurs or hunters, vehicles, and traps? Kids and dinos are very popular. It doesn't hold a place with tradition like Star Wars, but in '78 neither did Star Wars (Kenner took their chances, hence the first Early Bird kit).

Turbowars
12-21-2005, 06:30 PM
They're going to be $6.99? That's a rumor right now, not a fact.Oh really, so you are saying I'm lying?

Tycho
12-21-2005, 06:36 PM
:D :whip: I don't know. I don't have all the facts. Do you want to fight about it?

BTW, please see my prior post about Jurassic Park, Kenner, 1978, etc. That's much more interesting than the kids not getting along on the playground.

Turbowars
12-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Yes I do want to fight, unless you agree not to post in the LA Just Found. ;) Well if you don't have the facts then why state it's a rumor? As of right now the Target's computer says $6.99.

LTBasker
12-21-2005, 07:01 PM
Batman, Spider-Man, etc. doesn't cost toy manufacturers what Lucas charges for his license. That's part of it. I'm not defending the price increase. It ticks me off -but that's a part of it.

I'm not sure the license fee can really be blamed here, we don't really know how much the licensing fee is in each case.

As to the scale and detail?

I've got no problem with the scale obviously, and I understand theres a limited amount of detail. What I'm saying is that $7 for a Star Wars figure, the same price as something twice as tall and 10 times more detailed than a Star Wars figure is utterly ridiculous.

Despite my obvious dislikings towards Lucas as of late, I'm not ready to put all the blame on him without proof. No doubt I'm sure the license is expensive, but the holo figures, the huge freaking bubbles, specific stands, etc. It all adds up, not just because of Lucas.

Hasbro just knows they can milk us because we bought the VOTC figures, very few being worth the $10. They tested the waters and we took the bait, I'm guilty of this too but I'm done with letting them take me for all this money.

For $7, if the figures came in worthwhile packaging (OTC for instance) without crap like tape, had more attention paid to paint application, came with more accessories and were made from plastic instead of rubber I would buy them. I would be proud of them, as it is though? Most of the figures from ROTS would even feel like a ripoff at $5. Saga 2's looking slightly better, but if the $7 price comes into play... No way.

Even if the high price of the license is true, it's still no excuse to release a lacking product. It's not like they're Plan B Toys whom are four guys supporting their own company and can come up with better quality than Hasbro and pack-in tons of accessories with every figure.

JediTricks
12-21-2005, 11:27 PM
It is still a rumor at this point until it hits shelves, Target has had items in their computer before that were incorrect or never came to fruition. I'm assuming it's likely but I can't say it's a "fact".

Batman charges a fairly heavy license fee. Spider-man and other Marvel characters are all made by Toy Biz which is owned by Marvel (for a time they owned Marvel, it's all quite confusing).

Lucas didn't "buy the rights" to Star Wars, he chose sequel and merchandising rights in exchange for a small paycheck in the initial Fox deal. Lucas nearly bankrupted LFL and the Empire Strikes Back company self-financing it with a bank loan though, but that happened after they made that silly Holiday Special.

The scale wasn't the first of its kind, it's 1/18th scale and Takara's Microman had been using it in Japan for 4 years before Kenner did theirs.

The reasons there would be a price increase probably can be attributed to 2 factors: Hasbro wanting to make more money, and less sales in a non-movie year.

Tycho
12-21-2005, 11:32 PM
Interesting. Thanks for clearing a few things up. Now does anyone know about Spielberg and Jurassic Park?

Turbowars
12-22-2005, 12:10 AM
:rolleyes: Yeah, OK .

Kidhuman
12-22-2005, 12:17 AM
7 beans a pop is too much. Maybe they are worried about the selectiveness of the items that we have been posting about. Lets start saying we will buy them all and 12 of each, then we will get them for 4 bucks

JON9000
12-22-2005, 11:50 AM
The reasons there would be a price increase probably can be attributed to 2 factors: Hasbro wanting to make more money, and less sales in a non-movie year.

That's my guess, although it seems a little counterintuitive- demand is down so charge a higher price.

The reason for this oddity, I suspect, is that Hasbro is dialing down its reliance on kids and increasing the emphasis on collectors. The collector has more money to spend, and hence can support a higher price point.

I shied away from VOTC for the most part as a matter of principle, although I had to get Vader and a couple of Stormies.

Tycho
12-22-2005, 12:09 PM
I did not buy any VOTC except Chewie when he went on clearance (for $5) as I could remove his bandolier and add numbers to my Wookiee army before I knew they were taking ROTS above #56.

Luke - sucked
Han - was cool but too expensive
Obi-Wan -sucked somewhat
Leia - wasn't really tempting
Vader - wasn't really tempting
R2D2 - was probably the best VOTC
Lando - wasn't really tempting
Yoda - was pathetic, there were better OTC and ROTS figures of him
Chewie - I bought 3, but only on clearance
Boba Fett - wasn't really tempting
Stormtrooper - I had an army already; didn't need these
C-3PO - was awful, especially considering what they were charging

TheDarthVader
12-22-2005, 03:15 PM
I am taking up for TurboWars and am confirming the $6.99 price point. I have a valid reason, but I am kind of hesitant to say exactly why because if people don't want to be me then that is their problem.

B.
TDV

JediTricks
12-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Yakface has a photo of the Carkoon wave being picked up at TRU for $6.99 a piece, so it moves the discussion past the "rumor" stage.

That's my guess, although it seems a little counterintuitive- demand is down so charge a higher price.Yeah, but it's become commonplace thinking in the corporate world lately, creating a downward spiral until the customer is livid and/or the product is dead.

The reason for this oddity, I suspect, is that Hasbro is dialing down its reliance on kids and increasing the emphasis on collectors. The collector has more money to spend, and hence can support a higher price point.This is probably where they're coming from, but again like you said, it's totally counterintuitive - create a toy product and then jack the price up so any kids interested can't afford to buy it. The POTF2 line was kept afloat primarily because of kids, 1996 to 1999 were kids 2/3rds of the line and collectors 1/3rd - in '99, Hasbro jacked the price up even though it was a movie year and the kid market all but dried up, leaving Hasbro so bad off they nearly went bankrupt, and ever since that increase (even after it was reversed twice) kids have been like 1/4 of the collecting market, not because there was 300% more collectors but because the majority of the market left.

mtriv73
12-22-2005, 04:55 PM
I found the First 6 at Toys r us in Frederick, MD today and they were indeed $6.99 each. It remains to be seen what Wal-mart and Target will have them for. (unless it's posted somewhere else and I missed it.) They've been undercutting TRU by a buck or more all year.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-22-2005, 05:35 PM
They were this same price in 1999. It was bound to happen again. However, I wouldn't count on it staying for too long; every time they jack up the price, it goes down within a year. Weren't the POTC figures (Sabe, Sly Moore, etc.) also around this price?

Darth Cruel
12-22-2005, 06:11 PM
I am taking up for TurboWars and am confirming the $6.99 price point. I have a valid reason, but I am kind of hesitant to say exactly why because if people don't want to be me then that is their problem.

B.
TDV

LMAO - THAT was very well said!

And by the way. They have been 6.99 before. I don't know if the price will drop again like it did last time, but I know that if we all refuse to pay 6.99 and leave them on the pegs...they'll go on clearance.

trandoshan666
12-22-2005, 07:01 PM
I think they'll sell for $7 at TRU, Kmart, and Target early on. But I've gotta believe Wal-Mart will put them out for $5.99, prompting Target to follow suit. The other two stores will probably continue to showcase their cluelessness and keep their prices the same. I have absolutely no inside information on which I can base this prediction just my gut feeling and years of collecting experience.

Turbowars
12-22-2005, 07:34 PM
What? 6.99 no way, that's hard to believe. Where in the hell did you hear that?

Thanks Vader!

Devo
12-22-2005, 08:12 PM
$6.99? thats 5.88 in Euros according to XE.com currency converter. Wouldn't I love that. In Ireland a basic figure typically costs over 12 Euro!! Thats a standard issue mass produced figure. Exclusives cost up to 30 Euro as I found out today when I discovered the Wedge Antilles figure at Forbidden planet....and purchased it....without having noticed the pricetag...till I got home*.

So I don't know what you guys have to complain about really.

*look I was buying other stuff aswell so I thought my other items were making up the overall cost, otherwise I certainly would have noticed.

Tycho
12-22-2005, 09:46 PM
My friend found the Carkoon Wave at a Wal-Mart in Riverside County at near 2am in the morning. They rang up at $5.88 each so Wally is already winning price wars against Target and TRU. So everyone can relax a bit (or not shop the stores that screw us).

Ji'dai
12-22-2005, 10:37 PM
I also spotted the Carkoon wave at a Wal-Mart today. They scanned at $5.88 each; same price as the ROTS figures (this WM never lowered their basic figure prices as other WMs did).

TheDarthVader
12-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Darth Cruel, almost well said. LOL. Instead of "believe" I accidentally typed "be". :D

Turbo, you're welcome.

Tycho, I have a lot of respect for you on this forum. I am not trying to slam you or anything. You're a great SSG user. You always have a lot of cool star wars ideas.

Everyone, my reason was this: I went to K-mart and they had maybe 5 rots figures on the pegs. To the left were several bare pegs. Stuck on the pegs were shelf tags that read Star Wars Ast 1 $6.99.

B.
TDV

Tycho
12-23-2005, 12:32 AM
TheDarthVader, I believe you (and Turbowars too). Target, TRU, and especially Sears/K-Mart overprice next to Wal-Mart who's usually the lowest.

In this case, Wally might have made a mistake and those finding the figures early are reaping the rewards (too bad I'm not shopping until the Hoth wave) but Target may adjust. TRU and K-Mart will not (likely) - they usually haven't in the past either. I remember when K-mart had the Yarua, Queen Theed Ceremony figures, etc. at $6.99. I bought (I think) because it would have cost me the extra dollars in gasoline money to make repeated trips to Wal-Mart until they got them in, but I wasn't happy about it. Meanwhile, Wal-Mart is a hostile competitor to Toys R Us (and K-Mart, hence the Sears merger) so it would not surprise me if they undersold them (you can buy toilet paper, motor oil, and pop tarts while you're getting your SW figures at near-to-cost at Wal-Mart). Time will tell. These haven't hit my stores that I know, but I'm not actively looking for them.

JediTricks
12-23-2005, 01:51 AM
Everyone, my reason was this: I went to K-mart and they had maybe 5 rots figures on the pegs. To the left were several bare pegs. Stuck on the pegs were shelf tags that read Star Wars Ast 1 $6.99. 1) Oh yeah, that was really worth the James Bond secrecy from your last post. :p Coulda just said it, no need for any freakouts, I mean you did cite your source.

However...

2) It wouldn't be evidence of the price at the others because K-mart is often higher priced than Target, TRU, and WM. :greedy: :D

See Tycho, I got your back occasionally... it helps when you're not wrong though. ;)

LTBasker
12-23-2005, 03:04 AM
Call me crazy but I wasn't aware there was any hostility that would require someone needing back-up? o_O

Hopefully they will stay at $5.88 but it is common for people to find the first figures from a new line for the price of the line before it until everything's fully adjusted. So, have to wait and see. Granted, $5.88 for a SW figure is still somewhat harsh and they should be at $4.99 again but it's better than $6.99 at least.

steeltormentor69
12-23-2005, 05:21 AM
I went to walmart tonight and bought all 6 from the carkoon wave and they were only 5.88.

Kidhuman
12-23-2005, 09:03 AM
What I am afraid of is some WM's have them for 4.77 and some at 5.88. Will the ones that have them for 5.88 raise up to 6.99 or stay there?

UKWildcat
12-23-2005, 09:48 AM
1) ...2) It wouldn't be evidence of the price at the others because K-mart is often higher priced than Target, TRU, and WM. :greedy: :D

Yea, so I guess this means that K-Mart will be pricing these puppies at $8.99 or $9.99 a pop. lol

DarkArtist
12-23-2005, 10:32 AM
I know when I bought the Han Carb it rang up for $6.54 with tax so the $6.99 price may not be far off. Plus all the stores have different prices, Kay Bee toys selling for $6.99 on the regular ROTS figures. I guess we'll find out in 06

TheDarthVader
12-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Well, JT, it seems Tycho was thinking $6.99 was a rumor. It is not a rumor as Turbo has confirmed $6.99 at Target, and I have confirmed $6.99 at K-Mart.

B.
TDV

Tycho
12-23-2005, 12:53 PM
My group found them at Wal-Marts down here today. They were $5.88 each but I turned them all down. As I stated before, I don't really want the Carkoon Wave. If I have a later opportunity to get Bib Fortuna and he's that impressive - well maybe. Anyway, I was told there are a ton of them still sitting on the pegs down here.

JediTricks
12-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Yea, so I guess this means that K-Mart will be pricing these puppies at $8.99 or $9.99 a pop. lolIf TDV hadn't seen the shelftags at Kmart that said $6.99, I *definitely* believe what you said would happen, them and KB. :p

Well, JT, it seems Tycho was thinking $6.99 was a rumor. It is not a rumor as Turbo has confirmed $6.99 at Target, and I have confirmed $6.99 at K-Mart.What was at issue was that Turbo said it was in the Target computers for $6.99, but didn't cite a source such as "I saw it in the computer" or "my friend who works there saw it in the computer and told me" or "I saw it on Yakface" and since none of the rest of us had seen other evidence corroborating Turbo's statement and Turbo himself hadn't, *we* only knew it as a rumor at that point. (I personally was skeptical of any computer data though as that stuff has been known to change on occasion, but my statement was easily overlooked apparently since I didn't see anybody refute or even respond to it :p)

They were $5.88 each but I turned them all down. As I stated before, I don't really want the Carkoon Wave. Gee, thanks for thinking of me on that one Tycho. ;) :D

Darth Cruel
12-23-2005, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=Devo]$6.99? thats 5.88 in Euros according to XE.com currency converter.QUOTE]

Hmmmm - And Wal-Mart is selling them for 5.88 US dollars. There is something going on there. I smell a conspiracy.

Darth Cruel
12-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Darth Cruel, almost well said. LOL. Instead of "believe" I accidentally typed "be". :D

Turbo, you're welcome.

Tycho, I have a lot of respect for you on this forum. I am not trying to slam you or anything. You're a great SSG user. You always have a lot of cool star wars ideas.

Everyone, my reason was this: I went to K-mart and they had maybe 5 rots figures on the pegs. To the left were several bare pegs. Stuck on the pegs were shelf tags that read Star Wars Ast 1 $6.99.

B.
TDV

But it was funny as ---- the way you posted it. It reminds me of Kim Jong Il as he was portrayed in Team America!

Turbowars
12-23-2005, 04:40 PM
What was at issue was that Turbo said it was in the Target computers for $6.99, but didn't cite a source such as "I saw it in the computer" or "my friend who works there saw it in the computer and told me" or "I saw it on Yakface" and since none of the rest of us had seen other evidence corroborating Turbo's statement and Turbo himself hadn't, *we* only knew it as a rumor at that point. (I personally was skeptical of any computer data though as that stuff has been known to change on occasion, but my statement was easily overlooked apparently since I didn't see anybody refute or even respond to it My God, I didn't know I had to tell you I got up in the morning got dressed and drove to Target. I went to the customer service counter and asked if they could run a few #'s for me. When the employee found what I was asking about she said they were not in stock and she showed me the screen and I saw the price. I also typed the #'s in myself on a key pad and it said.... oh wait for this guys, you aren't going to believe this...............$6.99.

Now I know I left a few deatails out, but that's pretty much it. Hell I have been on this board since 2002. I don't lie and I don't like to be accused of it.
:hurt: :whip: ;)

Tycho
12-23-2005, 05:27 PM
You didn't tell us what and when you had anything for breakfast. :D

Turbowars
12-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Yeah that was one of the few detail I left out. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
12-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Yeah that was one of the few detail I left out. :thumbsup:
You also didn't share how long you spent in the bathroom that morning, thankfully. :p My point was that for all we knew, you could have been inferring you read it on another site which promoted it as true when *they* had no real confirmation, that happens on the forums from other users ALL THE TIME. So yeah, when you state something newsworthy without saying something like "I saw it with my own eyes", don't be surprised when people don't accept it as gospel.

TheDarthVader
12-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Yeah Turbo! And you didn't use the "I'm not fibbing" code of 0958 in the subject line of your post. So how the hell are we supposed to know for sure? Jeez I was lucky to have seen a shelf tag. :D

Hey Tycho...just curious as to why you're not getting anything in the carkoon wave? Too many similar "repeat" figures?

B.
TDV

Tycho
12-24-2005, 06:51 PM
Hey Tycho...just curious as to why you're not getting anything in the carkoon wave? Too many similar "repeat" figures?

B.
TDV

Yes.

Leia Boussh - I have 3 of her from 1996: in front of Jabba's band; with my custom Guri for my SOTE Coruscant display; on my Falcon escaping Coruscant (also SOTE). That's all I need. I'll go back and get her if they make the Han Carbonite I really want.

Han Carbonite: - I have 3-4 of him where I need him in just a white shirt: Cloud City before being frozen, the skiff / Sarlaac battle, Ewok Village w. Leia (he was really wearing the black vest but I found it contrasted too much); several EU scene recreations after Han became the gentle house-dad. I really wanted a Deluxe that you could display frozen, unfreezing, and freed, in a 3-piece or greater set that completely sealed the action figure in the carbonite block. Oh well.

Chewie in Chains - I have a few of these and don't need more nor do I need to correct height deviations.

Barada - it's just a repaint. I bought like 10 of the skiff guard 3 packs. Klatoonians are in my pod race arena, on Anakin and Padme's refugee frieghter, in Jabba's palace, on skiffs, etc. I don't need them any more.

Boba Fett - I have 2 Fett 300's amongst a lot of 1996 ones and a 2003 Saga one etc. It looks like just a repaint, and I already have at least one of the Fett 300's as an extra to face a Jacen and Jaina Solo should they ever make them (from "Shards of Alderaan") and I have a 2003 to handle Han Solo from NJO should they ever make him (from Star Wars Tales). I don't need more B, Fetts.

Bib Fortuna is a nice improvement and I might be able to use him as an extra in the Ryloth Senate delegation or somewhere (up to no good) so I might buy this figure.

The same is going to go on with each new wave from now on, with exceptions being like Hem Dazon who I am likely going to rave about even if the figure sucks. Jerjerrod, if true, is not going to be that impressive either, but I could use him. I'm buying Veers, Derlin, and that Gonk Droid next. I don't want anything else from the first 14.

TheDarthVader
12-24-2005, 08:45 PM
I will probably get one of each. I don't have the 96 Leia or the Chewy N Chains. Barada on a single card should be nice. They are nowhere to be seen around here! I hope they come in soon.

B.
TDV

JediTricks
12-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Tycho, this TSC Fett is actually a combination piece, it has the upper body of Saga Carkoon Fett (the one with the gimmick) but the waist and legs of VOTC Fett, and the activation button for the gimmick is now the correct rocket. Not that any of that will mean jack squat to you since it is just another Boba Fett, but I wanted to make sure everybody knew that it wasn't just a repaint (because that's exactly what I thought it was until a couple days ago when a friend found it and we bickered over it and I turned out to be wrong :p).

Yeah Turbo! And you didn't use the "I'm not fibbing" code of 0958 in the subject line of your post. So how the hell are we supposed to know for sure? Jeez I was lucky to have seen a shelf tag.But if you had come onto the forums after seeing that and just said "Kmart is gonna have the figures for $6.99" without mentioning the shelftag, there'd be nothing to convince us that it was beyond rumor, there's so much bad info about SW collecting floating around the web due to other forums and websites retelling info they heard third-hand and such.

Tycho
12-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Thanks JT. The issue for me is that I don't have any uses for any more Boba Fett figures at all, and even have 2 extra older ones just in case I come up with a reason (300 and Saga).

I've said it before: that so long as there are SW figures marketed, like Batman and the plethura of Batman figures (of Bruce as Batman himself) there will be 20 or so mainstays in SW every year (for newbies, etc):

Luke
Han
Leia
Chewie
C-3PO
R2D2
Lando
Stormtrooper / Clone Trooper
Vader / Anakin
Obi-Wan
Qui-Gon
Amidala
JarJar
Darth Maul
Battle Droid (Super, Destroyer, whatever)
Jango Fett
Count Dooku
Mace Windu
Yoda
Palpatine
General Grievous
an Ewok (hopefully, and likely Wicket most of the time)

Something like that with incidental secondary characters sprinkled in (like Zam Wessel or Nute Gunray).

I'm just going to stick around for the occasional Herme Odels and young Owen and Berus. I really won't buy any more of the main characters that are listed above, no matter what their improvements are. Unproduced outfits such as Medical Frigate Luke (ESB) and Smuggler Lando (ESB) are an exception of course. My issues are:

1) Not wasting the money I already invested in buying these characters for my scenes

2) the nostalgia and memories of enjoying finding my first He-man Luke, Monkey Leia, etc. (they weren't THAT bad, LOL)

3) space: I have no more room or desire to have all this stuff, especially items that repeat what I've already bought.

The hobby is basically ending for me. In the General Discussion forum I posted a thread I thought well-expressed my POV about having 10 extra years of childhood ('95 to 2005) and my appreciation and thanks to Hasbro for that.

I'm more and more ready to move on.

AmanaMatt
12-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Sorry to hear your collecting days are coming to an end, of sorts....I have been collecting the new Hasbro Star Wars stuff since it came out in the Fall-ish of 1995 (wow 10 years just like that!)....I personally am still a fairly strong collector - the new Saga wave rocks, but I gave up on being a completist a long, long time ago....I am mainly collecting the Classic trilogy and the occasional new trilogy. The new Clones are definitely my main interests, along with exceptional figs like Pilot Obi-Wan....

For me personally, I have had to pace myself (along with my shelf space)....I store most of my stuff in comic boxes that can stack....just like with real estate nowadays, vertical is the way to go! Every so oftern, I go through figs I no longer care about and donate them to Firefighter fundraisers that happen every Dec.

The improvements made to the new core figs do keep me pretty happy....comparing the POTF2 Leia Boushh to the new Saga one is amazing....

Peace and night, everyone.

Tycho
12-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Donating your older figures you no longer care for is a generous and good idea. I cannot really, however.

My hobby was never collecting really. True I amounted a collection, but its purpose was diorama building. I bought only what I would open, and loose toys cannot be donated to most Toys For Tots type programs. Also when I didn't have room for dioramas at my old place, such as the Battle of Geonosis, I opened the figures anyway, and test-set them to measure the space I'd need to cover (with BattleDroids or Clones for instance).

I think the first figures I turned down were Luke and Leia New Likenesses in 1998 (the scene-slide figures). It might have been earlier (some Deluxe etc. if they count). So you could never call me a completist - but I spent more than completists might have (getting hundreds of clones, droids, Imperials, etc.) It's been a great ride though and I plan on sticking around for Owen and Beru, others etc.

Ric Olie
12-27-2005, 12:16 AM
Saw the first wave of Saga figures at Walmart today and they we're 5.88 same price as the Sith figures. My local stores never had the figures at 5.24. I only bought Han Solo by the way.

sith_killer_99
12-27-2005, 04:04 AM
Yea, so I guess this means that K-Mart will be pricing these puppies at $8.99 or $9.99 a pop.

Right along with KBToys.

You gotta love their pricing strategy. They mark their figures $6.99 while Wal-Mart has 'em for $4.77. Then they have a sale and proudly display a 10% discount. WOW, I''''m only getting s@rewed out $1.52 per figure now! I better act fast!:rolleyes:

Anyway, I found the new SAGA 2 figures at Wal-Mart today, they rang up at $5.88 like a lot or reports.:(

JediTricks
12-27-2005, 03:21 PM
I really won't buy any more of the main characters that are listed above, no matter what their improvements are.Explain yourself here please. The "no need for improvements" part, specifically. Are these just chess pieces to you? It doesn't matter how crummy POTF2 Boba Fett is because he's green and that's good enough?

OC47150
12-27-2005, 03:35 PM
The Saga figures have been found in my area. I found the Barada at WM last week and scanned it: $5.88. A friend found the figures at TRU and they did ring up $6.99.

I'll be hitting and buying from WM more than TRU.

Tycho
12-28-2005, 02:06 AM
Explain yourself here please. The "no need for improvements" part, specifically. Are these just chess pieces to you? It doesn't matter how crummy POTF2 Boba Fett is because he's green and that's good enough?

Actually, I thought he's kind of wearing light blue. But yes, it is sort of accurate to describe them as being "just chess pieces to me."

If I want to do 7 scenes with Boba Fett and in 1996 Hasbro announces they are releasing Boba Fett, I buy 7 of him and am done with him, awaiting other characters (like Ephant Mon who was a real treat!)

If Hasbro improves Boba Fett, VOTC in 2004 for example, I don't rush out and get him. I have "a chess piece" representing his place in my dioramas.

If you didn't buy 7 of the 1996 figure, you might not be so sick of him that you'd buy 7 different versions of the same character.

If I had the foresight to know they were going to do all these resculpts back in 1996, I might have only bought 1 or so of Fett, and added the Saga, 300th POTJ, VOTC, OTC2, etc. later, over the years.

But I invest in my armies and don't waste more cash replacing my older figures that have a place in my scenes already.

JediTricks
12-28-2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks. I guess I knew that stuff since we've already discussed it in PM, but I thought the others here who read your comments and didn't know would be interested to see your take on it.

I have a follow-up question that I don't know the answer to, do you think there may be a point down the road, maybe 5 or 10 years from now, where you will see the 1995-2005 figures the same way you do the Kenner vintage figures, in that they're not really acceptable chess pieces anymore?

sith_killer_99
12-28-2005, 06:49 PM
If I had the foresight to know they were going to do all these resculpts back in 1996, I might have only bought 1 or so of Fett, and added the Saga, 300th POTJ, VOTC, OTC2, etc. later, over the years.

I see where you are coming from here. But I have something to ask. In 1995 you had no idea they would resculpt figures. However, I started collecting in 1998 and had already experienced resculpts, I believe Princess Leia was the first. By the time POTJ was out resculpts were in full swing. So my question is, at that point did you stop buying multiples of each figure you would need for all your scenes? I know it's hard to predict what figures will be resculpted.

But I invest in my armies and don't waste more cash replacing my older figures that have a place in my scenes already.

Have you ever thought of just listing the older figs on Ebay. I know that's not a popular thing around here, but if you find superior figures, why not buy 'em and sell the old ones on the secondary market or better yet trade them.

BTW, I am a huge OT Imperial Army builder. I have lots of Stormtroopers (Sandtroopers, Snowtroopers, Scout Troopers, TIE Pilots, etc.) form each release. I am actually afraid to do a full count for fear of revealing my own OCD (Obsessive Complsive Disorder). This way I can still get away with considering myself a "collector".

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off on a tangent.

I stopped by Target today, no sign of the new figures, but I pulled the DCPI codes out of my wallet and check in the scanner. They showed none in the stockroom. One thing I did notice was that they are indeed priced $6.99!:cry: The sad part is that they had the collector cases marked down to $6.97! Yes, the cases are now cheaper than the figures.:eek:

It looks like Wal-Mart will be getting the bulk of my SW business, yet again.:rolleyes:

Tycho
12-29-2005, 03:17 AM
Thanks. I guess I knew that stuff since we've already discussed it in PM, but I thought the others here who read your comments and didn't know would be interested to see your take on it.

Cool.

I have a follow-up question that I don't know the answer to, do you think there may be a point down the road, maybe 5 or 10 years from now, where you will see the 1995-2005 figures the same way you do the Kenner vintage figures, in that they're not really acceptable chess pieces anymore?

No. I really hope I'll "mature" out of this 2nd childhood phase closer to then. More likely in 5 years at the longest, I hope I am busy buying display cases for a new large piece of real estate, having my custom Jabba The Hutt Sailbarge built, maybe a Star Destroyer, too, and spending my time and money doing really nice art displays with the figures I already have. I doubt I'll lose interest in making my dioramas, I'll just refocus phases away from haunting retailers to find the pieces that go in them (by then I'll hope to have young Owen and Beru, etc.)

Have you ever thought of just listing the older figs on Ebay. I know that's not a popular thing around here, but if you find superior figures, why not buy 'em and sell the old ones on the secondary market or better yet trade them.

The further back we go, the older the figures in other words, the more likely that I opened all of them, as OT obviously came out before PTs did and so forth (ROTS is the largest unopened collection I own if you will). Loose figures are not even worth what I paid for them in the first place I think (I don't regularly follow prices on e-Bay or in guides). So I don't think others will want the "original monkey-faced Leia" etc. or pay $5 for her. I also don't really want to bother with shipping her and hunting down a replacement for her. I'm relieved to not have to be in the toy isles right now. The 501st Clone was my last frantic chase-down piece and it was a nice way to close down for the greater extent.

I see where you are coming from here. But I have something to ask. In 1995 you had no idea they would resculpt figures. However, I started collecting in 1998 and had already experienced resculpts, I believe Princess Leia was the first.

Leia and Luke (blastshield helmet) were the first resculpts if you don't count Han, Luke, and Stormtrooper Deluxe Figures. R2 and C-3PO were different as they represented improvements that were counted separately in the old Kenner Collection (Sensorscope and Removeable Limbs).

By the time POTJ was out resculpts were in full swing. So my question is, at that point did you stop buying multiples of each figure you would need for all your scenes? I know it's hard to predict what figures will be resculpted.

Around Episode One actually - before POTJ. Remember Pilot Anakin Skywalker and Soft-Goods Obi-Wan and Maul? When I knew those were coming and I needed something like 30 Obi-Wan Kenobi's for all the scenes he was going to be in, I figured out which ones would I need him in the "Naboo" attire, and which ones would I be adding accessory cloaks so he could sit in the Royal Starship / Playset etc. I split up my purchases of Obi-Wan figures accordingly, getting what I'd actually use. I bought extra figures in case they made the Gungan Sub one day, the Sith Infiltrator, etc. (soft goods with accessory robe packs).

But remember that poster that showed all the TPM figures that was in Toy Fair or Lee's or something? If I hadn't seen that, I would have just bought 30 Obi-Wan figures and 30 (well, less) accessory packs and stayed home and slept in.

With ROTS, we knew about Pilot Obi-Wan #56 by April 2nd when Obi-Wan #1 was being released. I knew that I could use 56 for Jedi Council scenes, the obvious Starfighter pilot scene, etc. I don't recall how many ROTS Obi-Wan's I needed, but the last one was "Separation of the Twins" and I have no reason to want to buy another one at present.

I also don't want to humor Hasbro by letting them make figures of incorrect heights (General Grievous it is rumored, but definitely Chewbacca and Vader) then correct the errors and make us buy them all over again. Remember the blue pants / brown pants Han Endor (1997)? If they don't do it right the first time, I just won't have it done right, then. They can correct all the Leia's, Padmes, etc. but I'm in it to buy new figures I don't have anything like (Padme in her yellow dress from the waterfalls in AOTC for example). That figure can be "Master Replica'd" scaled to the right height. I don't need another Theed Hanger Battle Padme.

JediTricks
12-29-2005, 10:18 PM
Grievous figures are all different heights, I think the basic one with the arm gimmick, the first one in the regular line, is close to the right height but it's hard to tell.

I picked up Bib last night at Target, leaving Chewie and Barada behind even though they are 1 per case and I kinda wanted that Chewie - I passed because of the price on each being so high (and because Chewie's POTJ body doesn't really work for the scene, that fig's arms are perma-bent). Anyway, Bib turned out to be a MAJOR rip-off, this is a figure I would probably have thought twice about even at $5, but at $7 I feel totally ripped off and that's no good.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Anyway, Bib turned out to be a MAJOR rip-off, this is a figure I would probably have thought twice about even at $5, but at $7 I feel totally ripped off and that's no good.

I saw it once at a TRU and thought about getting it for a Jabba diorama but now I'm not so sure. The only difference I could tell from the POTF/OTC versions are the kung-fu grip forearm swivel, the knife, and figure stand. Maybe at $5.88 but not for $7.

Old Fossil
12-30-2005, 12:11 PM
I picked up Bib last night at Target, leaving Chewie and Barada behind even though they are 1 per case and I kinda wanted that Chewie - I passed because of the price on each being so high (and because Chewie's POTJ body doesn't really work for the scene, that fig's arms are perma-bent). Anyway, Bib turned out to be a MAJOR rip-off, this is a figure I would probably have thought twice about even at $5, but at $7 I feel totally ripped off and that's no good.

The exact same thing happened with me yesterday, only I don't feel bad about buying this Bib Fortuna...it's a great sculpt, and since all he does is stand around, anyway, it works fine for me. (I like the stand a lot, too.) Didn't care for the price increase, but it beats paying shipping for online purchases.

DarthQuack
12-30-2005, 07:31 PM
I saw my first SAGA figures at Wal-Mart, only Bib and Barada though....picked them up for 5.88 a piece....not as bad as I thought they would be. I liked the packaging and how they look.

trandoshan666
12-31-2005, 02:18 PM
I bought five of the six at WM at $5.88 apiece, too. It really didn't seem that bad, but the prospect of paying $7 at Target and TRU is a little scary. I like these figures a lot, but I'm not sure they're worth that much extra. It probably doesn't really matter, though, because I know that I won't be able to pass up buying them as soon as I see them.

UKWildcat
01-03-2006, 06:07 PM
I checked out Target today and they had the pegs set up for the new figures but no figs yet. $6.99 argh! I still can't justify paying $7 per fig so Target isn't going to get any of my business as of now. I haven't checked WM yet but $5.88 is still a bit high. I guess I could swing that for a few of the figs I really want, but not the others. We'll see how this goes. :rolleyes:

...because I know that I won't be able to pass up buying them as soon as I see them.

Yea, hopefully I won't have a problem turning them down for the absurd price of $7. We'll see how this goes as well. :rolleyes:

TheDarthVader
01-03-2006, 07:04 PM
I picked up a boba for someone at TRU and it was an outrageous $6.99! The figures at Target are also $6.99. Thank you for ripping us off TRU and Target.

B.
TDV

Kidhuman
01-03-2006, 11:08 PM
I didnt have an issue shelling out 5.88 at WM. It was the original price of the ROTS figures, so it didnt bother me. I do however have na issue with Targets price and will not buy a figure from them with out keeping a receipt.

jedi master sal
01-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Wow, I though Target was going to be competitive with Wal*Mart for the new line. Hmmm, looks like I'll be shoping more at WM, or at least until Target drops the price down in a few months.

mtriv73
01-04-2006, 04:12 PM
I can't believe that Target and TRU are selling through their saga figures as fast as they are at $6.99. I thought they would at least have something on the shelves at that price. I too will try to buy 'em all at Wal-mart, but they're not exactly sitting around long anywhere. Target isn't going to drop their prices as long as the figures are selling out in a day or 2.

JawaJoe
01-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Had to see this for myself. Went into target today to see if they had any saga yet. They had 3 fett's only (which I needed) for $6.99. Needless to say I left empty handed. Ebay is bad enough now we're getting scalped at retail!!Went to wally world and found the 3 I needed for$5.88.

plasticfetish
01-05-2006, 06:15 AM
Yep, $6.99 is a tough one to deal with after having payed under $5 for ROTS figures for so long, but that is the suggested retail price -- it's not that Target and TRU are "ripping us off." Blame Hasbro amigos. I'm sure the price jump is (as it always is) due to a bunch of things -- it's a "non movie" year, the cost of petroleum is up, the run number of these figures is lower so the per item cost is higher, Lucas wants money, and last but not least... they know that we'll pay the price because we have before.

If I have to pay a $1 more to avoid Wal*Mart, then that's fine with me. :thumbsup:

Jayspawn
01-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Thats quite a stand plasticfetish.

I like the extra stand that the figures apparently come with. I'd pay an extra $1 for them I suppose.

Val Da Car
01-05-2006, 10:45 AM
But didn't the ROTS figures initially come out at $5.99 (WM & Target) and backed down a $1 as the product line advanced?

Of course the extra dollar could be related to the fact that they might not be making as many compared to the ROTS line or the new sculpts in the later waves.

So instead of rehash waves costing $5.99 and getting jacked up to $6.99 midyear they do it now and suggest the same retail pricing for the entire year.

(just a random thought):cross-eye

OC47150
01-05-2006, 11:02 AM
I had the Carkoon wave (minus Han) in my hands last night at Target. But I just couldn't bring myself to paying the $7.

I can wait till I find them at Wal-mart.

Kidhuman
01-05-2006, 11:39 AM
But didn't the ROTS figures initially come out at $5.99 (WM & Target) and backed down a $1 as the product line advanced?

Plus the fact of while they were 4.88 at WM, Target was still charging 5.99 for awhile, so I dont care to pay 6 bucks, but 7 is a different story.

jedi master sal
01-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Oooh, I just saw this documentary on Wal*Mart last night on PBS. Damn, they've got their hand in everything.

I knew they were a big reason we were losing jobs to markets like CHina overseas, but I didn't know it was as bad as reported. Becuase of Wal*Mart, the U.S. has lost more than 1 million QUALITY jobs, mostly in manufacturing to China.

Also, Wal*Mart has a practice of bullying manufacturers to come down to their price. If the manufacturer doesn't, Wal*Mart pulls the product. Many business have either closed or wen't bankrupt because of this, while others are still struggling to make a profit.

Ya know, I retract my statement about not buying from Target. I know Target does some of the same as Wal*Mart, just not quite at the level WM does. SO if it means paying a little more, so that Wal*Mart doesn't get my money and hurts the economy, then so be it.

It's been estimated that due to Wal*Marts business practices they are responsible for more than half of the U.S.'s trade deficit with China, which was $130 Billion as of the start of 2005 and is projected to be just over $200 Billion as of the start of 2006.

Okay, I know there will be naysayers on this, or those who will say, how can my not buying some figures from Wal-Mart change this. Well, simple, you yourself might not, but if more and more people boycott or drastically reduce what we buy from Wal*Mart, they won't have the business (therefore the money) to apply pressure on American companies to compete at the insanely low prices of a Chinese market.

Okay, I know that got a bit off topic, but I had to get that off my chest. Awhile back I boycotted Wal*Mart for 3 months straight. Did I make a difference? Maybe, it seemed they were deluged with pegwarmers when I finally started shoping with them again, so maybe just maybe I had a small affect on my one local store and they lost some profits because of it.

BTW, for those interested here's the link to the show I watched. You gain a LOT of knowledge as the the evil Empire that Wal*Mart is:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/secrets/

They created jobs, but low paying ones and have driven off or put out of business, high end manufacturers and good old fashioned ma and pa stores.

-Sal

plasticfetish
01-05-2006, 03:03 PM
I'd pay an extra $1 for them I suppose.I'm not saying that I want to pay more... I'm just saying that if I can avoid it, I'd rather not shop at Wal*Mart. (Aren't any near me anyway.) If the other stores drop their prices, well... that would be fine. :)

Tycho
01-06-2006, 02:56 AM
JMSal and PF: join the Democrats and hang out in the Rancor Pit. I don't disagree with you, it's just funny for me to see such a detailed political post here in the SW figures forum - but not unrealistic at all. Besides economics, I was a political science major in college and realize how all this stuff and even the war in Iraq is related.

mikefromorange
01-06-2006, 03:20 AM
Are you a democrat Tycho?

plasticfetish
01-06-2006, 04:47 AM
Now that's a funny first post.
JMSal and PF: join the Democrats and hang out in the Rancor Pit.We could have a lovely chat about the price of tea... errr... labor in China. About Wal*Mart, what they have to do with the economy, what part we as consumers play and why buying your toys at the King Kong of the retail world can be a mixed blessing. I'm not sure much of it has anything to do with having a donkey or an elephant bumpersticker on my car though.

You know honestly, I just hate how stupidly noisy that store is. They really need to lay-off the PA system and not use it every 15 seconds for the most idiotic things.

...that, and the fact that they're a soul-less bunch of vampires looking to bleed the world dry.

...but mostly the part about the PA. ;)

Tycho
01-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Are you a democrat Tycho?

Yes. Sometimes I feel like I am for lack of a better party to WIN and support most of my interests / values.

Anyway, this thread is about the Value of SW figures: $5.88 or $6.99?

The Rancor Pit is my favorite forum on SSG. We can agree / argue about religiion and politics over there.

Kidhuman
01-06-2006, 12:52 PM
The Rancor Pit is my favorite forum on SSG. We can agree / argue about religiion and politics over there.

Please do. I dont want any mods to shut this one down becuase of being oiff topic. Thanks fellas, and play nice. If ya do, I will let you borrow my toys.

DarthQuack
01-07-2006, 07:03 PM
If ya do, I will let you borrow my toys.

I want that in writing please.

Bobby Fett
01-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Local Wally Worlds have the TSC figures at $5.88 - the same as the ROTS figures. (They never lowered the price on the ROTS figures.)

Shopping elsewhere is not much of an option for me. The nearest TRU and Target are 90+ miles from here. There is a scalping K-Mart and Shopko about 20 miles distant.

Hey, if it was easy, everyone would be collecting SW!

Darth Cruel
01-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Oooh, I just saw this documentary on Wal*Mart last night on PBS. Damn, they've got their hand in everything.

I knew they were a big reason we were losing jobs to markets like CHina overseas, but I didn't know it was as bad as reported. Becuase of Wal*Mart, the U.S. has lost more than 1 million QUALITY jobs, mostly in manufacturing to China.

Also, Wal*Mart has a practice of bullying manufacturers to come down to their price. If the manufacturer doesn't, Wal*Mart pulls the product. Many business have either closed or wen't bankrupt because of this, while others are still struggling to make a profit.

Ya know, I retract my statement about not buying from Target. I know Target does some of the same as Wal*Mart, just not quite at the level WM does. SO if it means paying a little more, so that Wal*Mart doesn't get my money and hurts the economy, then so be it.

It's been estimated that due to Wal*Marts business practices they are responsible for more than half of the U.S.'s trade deficit with China, which was $130 Billion as of the start of 2005 and is projected to be just over $200 Billion as of the start of 2006.

Okay, I know there will be naysayers on this, or those who will say, how can my not buying some figures from Wal-Mart change this. Well, simple, you yourself might not, but if more and more people boycott or drastically reduce what we buy from Wal*Mart, they won't have the business (therefore the money) to apply pressure on American companies to compete at the insanely low prices of a Chinese market.

Okay, I know that got a bit off topic, but I had to get that off my chest. Awhile back I boycotted Wal*Mart for 3 months straight. Did I make a difference? Maybe, it seemed they were deluged with pegwarmers when I finally started shoping with them again, so maybe just maybe I had a small affect on my one local store and they lost some profits because of it.

BTW, for those interested here's the link to the show I watched. You gain a LOT of knowledge as the the evil Empire that Wal*Mart is:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/secrets/

They created jobs, but low paying ones and have driven off or put out of business, high end manufacturers and good old fashioned ma and pa stores.

-Sal

I never take anything I see on TV very seriously. I am not saying that what they are saying is not supported by fact, but like almost every other "true" story that is told, the presenter of the story tends to twist the tale to suit their own purpose (which, in the case of TV, is usually nothing more than drawing people to watch so they can charge more for advertising time). Someone else could make another ducumentary tomorrow making Wal-Mart look saintly using the same tactics. To me it is all lies that need to be taken for what they are...lures. Just like the colorful decorations on a fishing hook. At 5.88 a figure, Wal-Mart seems to be the cheapest place to get them right now.

JediTricks
01-08-2006, 03:17 AM
No matter my personal feelings on buying from WM, they are not conveniently located near me, so I'm limited to TRU, Target, and now KB since - as I finally experienced personally yesterday - the twin T's aren't charging more than overpriced KB which I find pretty embarassing.

El Chuxter
06-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Y'know, I was looking around and found this thread, and it occurs to me: this really is a vicious cycle, but a predictable one.

When a new line comes out, there's a price increase, even if it's just offsetting a previous price drop.

After the line has been out for several months or so, stores start running more sales. TRU's BOGO and Target's month-long price reductions are the most common.

Then, prices drop across the board, generally to the $5 range. Unless you're going to K-Mart as your primary figure source, in which case you're just insane.

Since it's predictable, we could all, in theory, take advantage and wait on our figures. Trouble is, we could miss out on some of the earlier figures, since there's no foolproof way to determine who will be common on the pegs a year later.

DarthQuack
06-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I haven't bought figures in years....and if I do, it's to fill in gaps in my POTF2, Episode I lines. :(

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Y'know, I was looking around and found this thread, and it occurs to me: this really is a vicious cycle, but a predictable one.

When a new line comes out, there's a price increase, even if it's just offsetting a previous price drop.

After the line has been out for several months or so, stores start running more sales. TRU's BOGO and Target's month-long price reductions are the most common.

Then, prices drop across the board, generally to the $5 range. Unless you're going to K-Mart as your primary figure source, in which case you're just insane.

Since it's predictable, we could all, in theory, take advantage and wait on our figures. Trouble is, we could miss out on some of the earlier figures, since there's no foolproof way to determine who will be common on the pegs a year later.
If everybody waited to buy figures until they go on clearance, then those would be the last new Star Wars figures we'd ever see. Waiting could possibly send the message to Hasbro that we won't support high prices, but to the stores, it would tell them that we don't want them, and they'd stop carrying them.

When you think about it, $7.99 really isn't a bad price for new figures. You have to consider that with higher quality comes a higher price. Even the worst figure of the last few years is way better than, say, even the 2002 line, which was $4.99. People complain about wanting better detail and articulation, and then freak out when they realize that these things have consequences. (I know not everyone is asking for that, but again, compare any 2009 figure to any 2003 figure and tell me which is better.)

OC47150
06-13-2010, 08:40 PM
I try to wait for a sale. Even at a place like Kohl's, which sells figures for $10.99, if you wait until one of their big sales (midnight or early-bird hour specials) the prices are comparable to Target and WM prices, or less.

I've taken advantage of the reduced prices at WM, TRU and Target in the last month. Picked up extras for customizing. I feel better about customizing a $5 figure than an $8 figure.

sith_killer_99
06-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Wal-Mart has been trying to clear out their stock for $4.50 for a few weeks now, they still have plenty of figures on the pegs.:(

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2010, 11:02 AM
I haven't bought figures in years....and if I do, it's to fill in gaps in my POTF2, Episode I lines. :(You know, Rite Aid is a great place to find non-current lines figures... at $11.99 each. As recently as four or five years ago IIRC, I still saw Freeze Frame figures there.

SW figures have become like trading cards; when they were cheap, everybody bought them. But as the prices went up, they sat on shelves/pegs more. Throw in economic issues too, and there you have it. :(

Darth Metalmute
06-14-2010, 12:31 PM
When you think about it, $7.99 really isn't a bad price for new figures. You have to consider that with higher quality comes a higher price. Even the worst figure of the last few years is way better than, say, even the 2002 line, which was $4.99. People complain about wanting better detail and articulation, and then freak out when they realize that these things have consequences. (I know not everyone is asking for that, but again, compare any 2009 figure to any 2003 figure and tell me which is better.)

I agree with you. I don't mind paying $7.99 a figure as long as it's $7.99 everywhere (K-Mart, I'm talking to you). It's been a consistant (even if rapid) price hike, and one that was probably way overdue. It helps that I have severely reduce the number of figures I buy a years (10 instead of all). I will say however, I will stop buying them entirely when they reach 9.99+.