PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite movies of 2005....

General_Grievous
12-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Since there are virtually no more movies coming out in 2005 and many of us have had the chance to see what we wanted, I want to know: what were your favorite movies of 2005? I have a list.

10. The 40 Year Old Virgin
I thought this was really funny. Plus the director was the creator of "Freaks and Geeks", so I couldn't resist. Steve Carrell is one of my favorite comedians now.

9. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Now regardless to what some of you may say, I thought this was really good, and even better than the original movie. Johnny Depp was great, and Tim Burton brought that real weird feel to it all that made it work.

8. The Wedding Crashers
In a year of dark or tragic movies, this really was welcome. This was the funniest movie I've seen all year. Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson were hilarious.

7. Crash
I rented this and it was a damn good movie. The cast was great and the story was powerful about racial tension in LA. I'd recommend it to anyone.

6. Batman Begins
Best Batman movie. That I can't argue. Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman and Cillian Murphy were all great. Not the best superhero movie. Why? Katie Holmes. Next time the producers should actually cast someone who can act, like Natalie Portman or Rachel McAdams.

5. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Great movie. Your first thought when going into the theater is "Oh, just another movie trying to make some cash off of the success of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Nope. You'lll be amazed by the end of the movie.

4. Sin City
Forget Batman. This was the best comic book movie of the year. Mickey Rourke stood out in the cast for his role as Marv. Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez, and Quentin Tarantino are an unbeatable team.

3. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Best Harry Potter movie. It was darker. Plus it showed a lot more teenage angst, which helps you understand the characters a lot more. Those kids have come a long way since the first one.

2. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
This was the year of Darth Vader. The movie was the best of the prequels, hands-down. I even liked it more than Return of the Jedi. Ewan McGregor, Ian McDiarmid, hell, even Hayden was great. It's sad to see that the saga's finally over.

1. King Kong
The only thing from keeping Star Wars at the top of this list. In all reality I liked both this and ROTS equally, but this was much less flawed. The painstaking work that Peter Jackson and his cast and crew did really shines on screen. But the biggest achievement has to be Kong himself. You actually believe he's real and you feel for him. For me, three hours for that movie wasn't enough.

So that's my list. Looking forward to seeing what 2006 has in store for us, with X3 and Superman Returns.

Kidhuman
12-23-2005, 10:34 AM
ROTS
Narnia
Sin City
Kingdom of Heaven

DarkArtist
12-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Revenge of the Sith
Corpse Bride
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Batman Begins
Goblet of Fire

Captain Spoon
12-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Batman Begins
ROTS
Goblet of Fire
Kong
Sin City
Charlie and the Chocolate factory
Sin City
40 yr old Virgin

starwarsfan1
12-23-2005, 12:45 PM
1.Star Wars ROTS
2.Harry Potter Goblet of Fire
3.King Kong
4.Chronicles of Narnia
5.Batman Begins
6.The 40 year old Virgin
7.Fun with Dick and Jane
8.The Brothers Grim
9.Kingdom of Heaven
10.Sin City

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-23-2005, 01:09 PM
1. ROTS
2. Serenity
3. Harry Potter
4. Batman Begins
5. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I haven't seen King Kong yet, though.

JediTricks
12-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Batman Begins.

El Chuxter
12-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Batman Begins, Narnia 1, Walk the Line, and Harry Potter IV. ROTS was good, but not as good as these.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-23-2005, 10:09 PM
I can't even think of 10 movies that I've gone to see this year. I've been getting out less and less due to grad school and family obligations.

I'd say my top choice would be ROTS with Charlie+Choc.Fac. and HP4 as honorable mentions.

UKWildcat
12-24-2005, 12:08 AM
Here are some that stick out and I'm sure there are several more that I will enjoy but I have yet to see. I'll get back to ya on those.

In no particular order:

Batman Begins
Sin City
SW Ep. III - ROTS
Wedding Crashers
40 Yr Old Virgin
Crash
The Jacket
The Devil's Rejects
Exorcism of Emily Rose
High Tension!!!

I have a feeling I'm going to be adding Serenity to the list within the next couple of days.

Haven't found the time to see Narnia or Kong yet.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-24-2005, 12:48 AM
In no order:

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
Walk the Line
Batman Begins
King Kong
Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire
Land of the Dead
Sin City
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Star Wars: ROTS (for kicks and giggles)

Honorable mentions:
Unleashed
March of the Penguins

JediTricks
12-24-2005, 02:27 PM
I wish I had remembered Serenity, but I think it didn't really impact me the way Batman Begins did (the only movie of the year to do so), which I guess means Serenity really wouldn't be on my list anyway - it was good, don't get me wrongo... just not "stick with me" good apparently.

Jedibill
12-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Star Wars: ROTS
War of the Worlds

and still need to see King Kong

Kidhuman
12-26-2005, 01:13 AM
Well, after seeing Willy Wonka today, I can add it to my list.

Battle Droid
12-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Revenge of the Sith

Rocketboy
12-26-2005, 06:27 PM
The 40-Year-Old Virgin
Batman Begins
Crash
Fantastic Four
Jarhead
Mr & Mrs Smith
Sin City
Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith

UKWildcat
12-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Well I just watched The Island and I really enjoyed it so I'll add that to my list. Scarlett is mad hot too!!!! :love:

I really liked Mr. and Mrs. Smith as well. That one has sequel written all over it.

sith_killer_99
12-27-2005, 03:36 AM
In no particular order:

Star Wars Episode III
Cry-Wolf
Fantastic 4
The Chronicles of Narnia (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)
Sin City
Serenity (much better than I thought it would be)
Skeleton Key

In all fairness, I still have not seen King Kong, Harry Potter 4 or Walk the Line.

El Chuxter
12-27-2005, 05:36 PM
Call me nuts, but after seeing what an idiot Whedon and the cast of Serenity were at Comic-Con, I not only have no desire to ever see that film, I stopped reading Astonishing X-Men because the guy was such a moron.

sith_killer_99
12-27-2005, 05:56 PM
My wife is a HUGE fan of Buffy and Angel. More so of Angel than Buffy.

Anyway, she dosen't really care for Joss "continuity is for wimps" Whedon.

We never really got into Firefly. We never even watched the show until "Serenity" was out in theaters. My wife is a fan of Adam Baldwin, who guest stared on Angel and did an excellent job on Firefly considering what he had to work with. LOL

Anyway, I decided to rent the DVD when it came out and was surprised by how good it was.:yes:

So what happened at Comic-Con?

Turbowars
12-27-2005, 07:46 PM
The Devil's Rejects (Great film and Music from good old Rob)
Exorcism of Emily Rose (Creepy, that girl was awesome!)
High Tension (Awesome)
Mr. Mrs. Smith (Fun Flick)
ROTS (Dah)
Narnia (Well put together and I left wanting more)
Skeleton Key (Love the ending)
Island (I don't see why it did so bad)
40 Year Old Virgin ,( just saw the Unrated version!!)
Transporter 2 ( Fun @ss Flick)

El Chuxter
12-27-2005, 09:32 PM
So what happened at Comic-Con?

I went into the theater really early to see the preview for King Kong, and found a seat at the start of the Serenity presentation. (Basically, you're not guaranteed a seat if you show up for a particular presentation but once you're in, you can stay there all day.) At least half the audience, like me, wanted to see the King Kong preview and the Tenacious D concert that followed, and we all knew that trying to get in for just those would be impossible.

So there's half of a huge (I think 7000 seat) auditorium that don't know what this "Serenity" thing is, and then Whedon comes out and says nothing about it other than to repeatedly thank everyone for their support, and that we all knew the long journey it had taken to get this on screen. Then he introduces the actors, all but one of whom seemed to be incredibly daft. Then a clip, which made absolutely no sense to me but looks like it could have been decent had anyone thought it a good idea to provide some kind of background. One sentence about the show could have been enough! But the clip ends, Whedon starts congratulating himself and trying to flirt with the actresses, and that's it!

He just came across as so incredibly self-involved and bumbling that it was frustrating. I know that sounds odd, but I actually saw how someone could like what was going on if they had any freaking clue! I mean, Firefly was on for, what, two episodes? (And he didn't even have the brains to mention it was a spinoff from a show!)

I know I can't have been the only person who found it incredibly alienating. Jeez, at least Steve Sansweet had enough sense to provide background info at the SW spectacular, and probably 99.99% of the audience knows SW (it was the end of the day, so no one would've been holding a seat for the next presentation).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-27-2005, 09:52 PM
I want to go ahead and add "Grizzly Man" to my list of favorite movies of 05. While you can debate up and down about the life of Timothy Treadwell, you can't deny the man's love, generosity, kindness, and dedication to the animals and life he loved and died for. Very good flick. :thumbsup:

sith_killer_99
12-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Yeah, that sounds like Joss. From the stuff I've heard the guy is pretty self-involved. Sure he had 2 BIG hits with Buffy and Angel. Great, good for him.

But then whenever fans comment on glaring mistakes in continuity with the shows he blows it off and says stupid stuff like "continuity is for wimps".:rolleyes:

Did this guy go to school? Continuity is important for your audience to get into the story. The whole point of all this stuff, television, movies, etc. is for the audience to immerse themselves in the story. Discontinuity interupts the flow and after a while it just pi$$es off your audience. It's like they don't care about what they are doing. If they don't care why should the audience.

Remember the audience, they're the only reason you are making tons of money playing make believe.

Then the guy goes on and on about how brilliant Firefly was. Give me a break it was a western set in outerspace. Sure there were, and still are some hardcore fans who protested the cancelation of the show, but nothing like they did with Angel or even Farscape!

Tru Calling was 10 times better than Firefly IMO.

So yeah, I can totally see this guy being the self-involved type.

JEDIpartner
01-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Considering I think I allowed myself to bother with maybe 5 movies for the whole of the year, I would have to say I liked the real human element of "Brokeback Mountain" the best. Man... I left that film crying! I love quiet films like that. Quite touching regardless of your sexual orientation.

Sentinel18725
01-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Of course ROTS is in there for my favorite...however, here are some others.

40 year old virgin....good mixture of juvenile humor and a good romantic comedy...which I think touches dear to many of us on this board (the toy collecting, not the other thing)

Crash....WOW!

Syriana.....incredible!

Wedding Crashers

Mr. and Mrs. Smith (mindless fun but hey, Angelina in Garters!!!!)

Rogue II
01-02-2006, 08:13 PM
I didn't see many movies from 2005, but I'm still suprised no one mentioned Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It was better than Episode 3.

UKWildcat
01-02-2006, 08:20 PM
I didn't see many movies from 2005, but I'm still suprised no one mentioned Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Good call! I forgot about that one. Add that one to my list too...

Rocketboy
01-02-2006, 11:17 PM
I didn't see many movies from 2005, but I'm still suprised no one mentioned Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It was better than Episode 3.Meh. I was pretty bored throughout Hitchhiker's Guide, although I never read the book, so that may have had something to do with it.

El Chuxter
01-02-2006, 11:33 PM
It was good, but not as good as I'd hoped, and not quite up to "best of 2005" status. They took too many liberties with the last 20 minutes or so to make everything into a nice one-movie story, when it had been rather faithful up to that point.

JEDIpartner
01-03-2006, 07:11 AM
I didn't see many movies from 2005, but I'm still suprised no one mentioned Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It was better than Episode 3.

I thought it stunk. The BBC version, for as low-budget as it was, was SO much better.

General_Grievous
01-03-2006, 07:41 AM

Yeah, I'm sorry but no. HHGTTG was probably the worst movie I saw from 2005. No way was it better than ROTS. HHGTTG makes that mediocre Tom Cruise "War of the Worlds" remake look like "The Godfather".

James Boba Fettfield
01-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Batman Begins
The Devil's Rejects
Land of the Dead
Sin City
Revenge of the Sith
A History of Violence
Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Wererabbit
Capote

Slicker
01-04-2006, 05:48 PM
ROTS
War of the Worlds (I liked it, so eat it)
Wedding Crashers
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
ROTS

Rogue II
01-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I'm sorry but no. HHGTTG was probably the worst movie I saw from 2005. No way was it better than ROTS. HHGTTG makes that mediocre Tom Cruise "War of the Worlds" remake look like "The Godfather".

Well, it's a matter of opinion, now isn't it? Have you checked out that poll over at imdb yet? ROTS is near the top of many of the "Worst of 2005" lists, and I didn't vote. So, obviously, I'm not alone. Sure, HHGTTG is barely on one of the "Best of 2005" lists, but it isn't on any of the "Worst of..."

Kidhuman
01-05-2006, 01:36 AM
Add Batman Begins to my list.

Rocketboy
01-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Add Batman Begins to my list.Dagnabbit! I knew I was forgetting one!

vader121
01-05-2006, 10:28 AM
My tops are:
1. King Kong
2. Batman Begins
3. Kingdom of Heaven
4. ROTS
5. Walk The Line
6. Fantastic 4
7. Sin City

Not making the list:
-Charlie & the Choc factory
-Narnia

General_Grievous
01-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Well, it's a matter of opinion, now isn't it? Have you checked out that poll over at imdb yet? ROTS is near the top of many of the "Worst of 2005" lists, and I didn't vote. So, obviously, I'm not alone. Sure, HHGTTG is barely on one of the "Best of 2005" lists, but it isn't on any of the "Worst of..."

Most of the imdb users these days are whiny teen girls who b*tch and complain about stars like Keira Knightley or Scarlett Johannson out of jealousy. I personally don't give a damn about what the imdb think anymore. ROTS was a really good movie, end of story. People are just giving it backlash because TPM and AOTC were bad.

James Boba Fettfield
01-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Looking at IMDB's Top Rated 250, I have some doubts about the users being mostly teen girls. Heck, even ROTS is (though at the bottom) on that list.

JimJamBonds
01-06-2006, 11:12 PM
ROTS
40 Year Old Virgin
Wedding Crashers

I'm sure there are a few others but those jump out at me.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Looking at IMDB's Top Rated 250, I have some doubts about the users being mostly teen girls. Heck, even ROTS is (though at the bottom) on that list.

I have a real beef with that Top 250 list. You're telling me that ROTS is one of the 250 greatest movies ever to grace the millions of miles of celluloid that Hollywood, and for that matter the world, has ever seen? Too many so-so, recent movies don that list (i.e., for awhile Spiderman #2 was on that list :cross-eye ). If that's the case then indeed too many teenagers are taking up to their computer and voting out of heart and nothing else. Look at the years of release that make up that list? How many of those movies on the list come from 1990 on? Hollywood's Golden Age churned out many classic pieces that have been relegated to the back burner simply because they have been forgotten by the public at large.

I do like imdb.com as a plethora of information regarding movies but being fan dependent means that it relies not just on the informed fans, but of the numbskulls too.

James Boba Fettfield
01-08-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm not saying it's the best list by any means, but I'm not believing the list is made up of teenager favorites. Granted, I have issues with the LOTR films being so high, but I also see that the list is populated with very great films that aren't well known by the masses today. Heck, Seven Samurai is number 5.

Being curious, I'm wondering what movies you feel are missing from the list. Or do you mean that the movies need to be rated higher on the list?

And no, I'm not saying ROTS should be in the Top 250. I was just using it as a point to show that ROTS isn't as hated by IMDB users as some think.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Inherit the Wind with Spencer Tracy
Scrooge with Alaistar Sim
From Russia With Love
You Can't Take It With You by Frank Capra
Grand Hotel

all need to be on the list.

Citizen Kane should be in the Top 10

None of the Toy Storys or so many other animated movies should be ranked so high.

General_Grievous
01-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Inherit the Wind with Spencer Tracy
Scrooge with Alaistar Sim
From Russia With Love
You Can't Take It With You by Frank Capra
Grand Hotel

all need to be on the list.

Citizen Kane should be in the Top 10

None of the Toy Storys or so many other animated movies should be ranked so high.

Not for nothing, but I'd take Toy Story over that bore-fest Citizen Kane any day. I had to sit through Citizen Kane for Media class and I was bored beyond belief.

Kidhuman
01-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Not for nothing, but I'd take Toy Story over that bore-fest Citizen Kane any day. I had to sit through Citizen Kane for Media class and I was bored beyond belief.

I agree, I had to watch it in High School and I slept right thru it. It was more like a snore-fest

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Citizen Kane isn't as entertaining as the Toy Story movies, and yes, it is devoid of explosions or car chases, but it was extremely innovative for its day and it tells an awesome story of a man consumed with power, climbing up to the social elite of this country, yet intertwining a vulnerability and sense of a desire to return to the days of innocence.

britcit3
01-13-2006, 05:50 AM
ROTS
Land of the Dead
King Kong
Harry Potter 4

& Green Street - my US friends - go out and rent this film.
It's about soccer hooligans (and stars Elijah Wood (?- I know!)) but is a hugely entertaining film (realistically violent though - may prove a bit harrowing for people who have only watched Hollywood style mock-violence).
I would give it a 9.5 out of 10.

BC3

2-1B
02-13-2006, 12:21 AM
Revenge of the Sith
Brokeback Mountain
Walk the Line
Devil's Rejects
Land of the Dead
40 Year Old Virgin
Wedding Crashers

That's my top 7 of 2005. I haven't seen Capote yet, but I want to.

JimJamBonds
02-13-2006, 12:27 AM
Revenge of the Sith
Brokeback Mountain
Walk the Line
Devil's Rejects
Land of the Dead
40 Year Old Virgin
Wedding Crashers

That's my top 7 of 2005. I haven't seen Capote yet, but I want to.

Although wouldn't Brokeback and Capote be the best films you saw in 2006? :razz:

2-1B
02-13-2006, 12:37 AM
Of course, but I didn't say I saw them in '05. ;)

I didn't see Capote in '05 or '06.

Turbowars
02-13-2006, 01:02 AM
Revenge of the Sith
Brokeback Mountain
Walk the Line
Devil's Rejects
Land of the Dead
40 Year Old Virgin
Wedding Crashers

That's my top 7 of 2005. I haven't seen Capote yet, but I want to.Your 2nd choice scares me.

2-1B
02-13-2006, 01:21 AM
Your 2nd choice scares me.

Why? :confused:

It's a very good movie.

Slicker
02-13-2006, 05:36 AM
I've heard that same thing Cae. I haven't seen it yet but I'd like to. And for all of you homophobes I hear that there are several hetero scenes that even show some boobies.:whip:

CaptainSolo1138
02-13-2006, 08:11 AM
"Revenge of the Sith"
"Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (screw you, jjreason;))
"Fantastic Four"

JimJamBonds
02-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Of course, but I didn't say I saw them in '05. ;)

I didn't see Capote in '05 or '06.

So Brokeback would be your favorite movie of 2006 then. ;)

Turbowars
02-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Why? :confused:

It's a very good movie.A story about 2 gay cowboys? No thanks.:tired:

Rocketboy
02-13-2006, 06:42 PM
That's my top 7 of 2005. I haven't seen Capote yet, but I want to.I wouldn't rush. I saw it the other day. To me it was like Mystic River - great acting, but still boring as all hell.
Even having read "In Cold Blood" and having some background knowledge about Capote and his research, I still didn't care for it.

2-1B
02-13-2006, 08:48 PM
A story about 2 gay cowboys? No thanks.:tired:

It's more than that in my opinion, yes it was a story about those two guys but there was a broader social view involved, to me at least.

What's ironic though is that through the whole movie, the word "gay" is not even said (although they do say "queer" once) when compared to your posts Turbs which were once the object of dispute over your cavalier use of the adjective "gay." lol lol lol

I've heard that same thing Cae. I haven't seen it yet but I'd like to. And for all of you homophobes I hear that there are several hetero scenes that even show some boobies.:whip:

WORD on the boobie talk ! :whip: