PDA

View Full Version : The Cestus Deception (Now With Spoilers!!)

El Chuxter
06-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Here's another one that just snuck up on me: The Cestus Deception, a novel about Obi-Wan and everyone's favorite ladykiller, Kit Fisto, on a mission to stop some sort of "bio-droid" menace.

It's out in stores now! If you've got it (which I haven't yet, being a lazy moderator :)), feel free to discuss!

[DSS]Pedr0
06-02-2004, 03:32 PM
DooD!! Thanks for the reminder, I read the excerpts from SW.com but forgot it was out. Going today after work to Waldenbooks in the mall. :D

Deoxyribonucleic
06-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Well, it's got a nice cover ;) I know that much

Sidiously Darth
06-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Well, I went by Bordres on my break this evening to see their price on this new SW book. Guess what, they already sold out. How many copies did they get in, 3? The lady was somewhat helpful but their info seemed to be out of whack. She said that they received theirs on May 30 but their search stations said the release date was 6/30/04. I've never really liked Borders. Their customer service is usually pretty bad. Plus, shouldn't the stores price match what's on the website? Wouldn't they make a few more sales that way?

Bel-Cam Jos
06-05-2004, 08:42 AM
This too snuck up on me (that's been happening a lot lately). I saw the cover and thought it was The Approaching Storm at first. So I eagerly await when it'll be at my local library. Summer rocks for reading! I just hope it's not another "let's tease them but not really give any new info since Episode III is still in the works" type of book.

Darth Jax
06-07-2004, 07:06 PM
i picked it up today. give me a couple days and i'll have it read and can post a review.

mastermatt24
06-08-2004, 03:47 PM
I bought it a couple weeks ago, but havent had time to readit. I was going to the bathroom when I saw an open box with five of them in it, it was with alll of the boxes that were waiting to be sheleved, so I took it to the counter and it happend to be in their system so I kinda lucked out.

[DSS]Pedr0
06-08-2004, 03:53 PM
1/4 of the way thru. Very interesting book. I like how they describe the 'military' aspect of it. The point of view from a ARC Commander is also very informative.

Vortex
06-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Bought it shortly after it came out, haven't opened it yet, well then again...I haven't even read Survivor's Quest or Ruins of Dat. either...man I'm behind.

I just have a tough time getting back into the Star Wars novels every since the lonnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg running NJO stuff. Still need to get the bad taste out of my mouth from some of those books still. Maybe later this summer I'll plow through these.

mastermatt24
06-08-2004, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=tjovonovich]Bought it shortly after it came out, haven't opened it yet, well then again...I haven't even read Survivor's Quest or Ruins of Dat.

So true!! I am behind too... :(

Bel-Cam Jos
06-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Well, I have started it, by reading the "Dramatis Personae" page (Latin for "thong song" :p ), and I am wary. It sounds too Star Trek-esque, or science fiction-ish. The names don't seem to be Star Wars-like, and are too geeky. I am cautious.

dr_evazan22
06-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Finished it last night. I liked the way it gave insight into the CT's life also. Wasn't crazy about the confrontation at the end, ... When more people finish we can talk about Nate and the other clones from the story.

Darth Jax
06-14-2004, 02:05 AM
chalk me up in the done column. i'll give a couple more of you a chance to read before beginning discussions, unless the dr. wants to proceed now.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2004, 06:37 AM
Well, I'm now about 50 pages in. It's improving, but sadly I am hesitant to call it even "good" so far. I'll wait until I'm finished to pass judgment. SW fiction lately has me pretty cynical and pessimistic. :(

Deoxyribonucleic
06-14-2004, 10:17 AM
SW fiction lately has me pretty cynical and pessimistic. :(

I'm kinda feeling the same, except for the cynical part ;)

I've started reading Zahn's newer book (Surviver's Quest) twice already, only to stop and start reading other things. And I love Zahn's books. I also had a real hard time getting through the three books done by the double authors in the NJO...it took me FOREVER!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Well, I finished it. And surprisingly, I can rate it higher than "eh." It turned out to be a decent book. The beginning was even slower than most SW novels have been recently, but by the end, I was pleased. This was the first SW novel that I ever felt sad at the end, even Vector Prime.

Good points:
Interesting insights into the minds of Clone Troopers.
Good to see Obi-Wan not working with only Anakin.
Very well-written views of how the Republic will change before A New Hope begins.

Overall, I give it an 8.4 on a scale of 10.

dr_evazan22
06-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Before the PT started I thought the Clone Wars would have something to do with the rights of clones, and their right to life and liberty and all that. (and that eventually the rights of droids would need to be addressed as well. Or maybe not their rights, but thoughts and emotions, if that makes sense. I felt the NJO almost touched on this with 3PO)

One of my greivances with AOTC is that Yoda called the growing Civil War the Clone Wars. To me, that is a name that history should have given the war.

It was good to see a clone with independent thought, making it's own decisions. But why is it that all these characters in SW fiction suddenly get some kind of Force-awareness and tehn they die? It really cheapens the Force, IMO.

Disappointed that Obi didn't put 2 and 2 together sooner, as to why everything wasn't working out. He should've came to the conclusion that the CIS or Assajj were on the planet earlier.

Darth Jax
06-17-2004, 08:02 PM
especially after obi-wan had been exposed to maul in Ep. 1 and knows that the sith can conceal their presence. he even recalled a lesson of qui-gon's about the importance of sensing not only what it present, but what isn't present that he shoulda clued in to ventress's presence.

i realize there are only a limited number of bad guys with names, the rest are nameless troopers and droids. but why oh why are they indestructable?

with anakin's absence you have to wonder if he's taken the trials finally and is no longer a padawan?

El Chuxter
06-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Hmm, trying to avoid spoilers as mine just came in the mail and I won't get to it until after Dark Tower 5 & 6. . . .

I believe a novel coming in December is about Anakin going through the trials and becoming a Knight.

mastermatt24
06-18-2004, 09:48 PM
Ok ok , I know that this is off subject but... Do any of you know the correct way to pronounce NJO's Jaina???? I never really thought about it untill I was looking at the name and I realized it wasn't what I had thought it was... Any help?

Darth Jax
06-18-2004, 10:02 PM
i always assumed it was pronounced just like one half of the bumbling duo known as the wonder twins (Jayna and Zan).

Bel-Cam Jos
06-19-2004, 09:56 AM
I always figured that if the older son's name is Jacen (jay-sun), then the daughter's name should be Jaina (jay-nuh).

Rights of clones; how did I miss that? I'm just a little surprised that the topic was addressed this early.

Chuxter, since I've finsihed Cestus, I can handle this thread until you get to it. Spoil away, people, spoil away... :rolleyes:

Sidiously Darth
07-13-2004, 12:44 AM
Overall, I liked the book. More insight to clones and how their training and motivation works.

I was a little bugged about Obi Wan not figuring out what was going on sooner. Chalk it up to that cloud of the dark side.

I liked how Kit handled the JK but then was sort of bummed that Ventress was able to take him down rather easily. She's not even a true sith and Fisto is a hardcore jedi master. I truly believe Kit would have her eating those twin blades.

El Chuxter
01-31-2005, 02:28 PM
I was also very disappointed that Kit didn't just use his Mighty GrinTM to merely make all the female characters do what he wanted. Let's be realistic here. G'mai Duris would hem and haw, and Kit would flash his grin, and she'd do whatever the Republic wanted her to do. Then Asajj would come out of the shadows and Kit would say, "Hey, baby, let's not fight," followed by another grin, and Asajj would give up the ways of the Sith forever. :D

But seriously, Kit was portrayed as far less happy-go-lucky than in most other EU stories in which he's starred so far.

Altogether, having finished the book, only one thing disappointed me. If the dashta eels that make up the minds of the JK's go insane when they kill, why weren't there a bunch of crazy JK's running around when they burst into Desert Wind's hideout?

(And is the name "Desert Wind" some sort of homage/allusion to the name the Camaasi Jedi calls Obi-Wan in I, Jedi?)

PloKoon2385
02-01-2005, 04:49 PM
I read half of it and stopped. I thought it was boring. Does it get better? Instead, I just finished Jedi Trial and will read Labyrinth of Evil next. I liked Jedi Trial, and Shatterpoint, as well. I hope Labyrinth is good!

mastermatt24
02-01-2005, 05:44 PM
I read half of it and stopped. I thought it was boring. Does it get better?
I would say yeah, you might as well finish it. It was kinda like "whew" when I finished it.
For some reason LOE is reading really fast for me, its been great so far.

OC47150
02-16-2005, 12:49 PM
So is it worth buying in hardback, paperback or checking out from the library?

mastermatt24
02-16-2005, 05:36 PM
I would say paperback if you collect the books- library if you dont. Although it does look nice to the other CW hardbacks.

OC47150
03-21-2005, 01:01 PM
The library had a copy. I checked it out and just started it. I like the storyline so far.

OC47150
03-23-2005, 01:22 PM
I always thought there were different styles of lightsaber fighting. The book confirms it.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-24-2005, 07:20 PM
I just finished the ebook at the end of the paperback version of TCD, called "The Hive." It was quite good, and longer than most ebooks they include. One of the reasons why I usually wait for the paperbacks instead of the hardbacks.

mastermatt24
03-24-2005, 11:39 PM
Great.. Is this some kind of prelude to the Dark Nest books?

OC47150
04-11-2005, 07:32 AM
Finished CD over the weekend. I thought the ending was a little anticlimatic, but I can see where the basic premise can carry over to another story.

It was better than Shatterpoint but not as good as Yoda's Dark Rendezvous.

mastermatt24
04-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Really? I thought Shatterpoint was pretty good but also really dark..
If I had to rank the books from worst to best I think it would go:
Jedi Trial, Cestus Deception, Shatter Point, Hard Contact, Dark Rendevous, and Labriynth of Evil

Tycho
07-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Matt, I'm just reading Cestus Deception for my first time. I didn't feel like opening it when I first purchased the hard cover some time ago.

I wanted to read stories that advanced the plot line further, not fill-ins. Of course Shatterpoint was much more than that.

However, I think I'm tending to agree with your worst to best list EXACTLY.

I will wait and see if Cestus Deception gets any better. I will probably read "the Hive" in the book store.

I'm re-reading all the CW as I go through the entire EU in chronological order, and I really can't wait to Re-Read books like Dark Rendezvous and Labrytnth, even though I've never read Cestus. I'll let you all know if my enjoyment level of Cestus changes. It's starting to. I like Fizzik journeying into the underworld and Nate and his training and thoughts as an ARC are very interesting so far.

mastermatt24
08-02-2005, 08:24 PM
However, I think I'm tending to agree with your worst to best list EXACTLY.
Yeah- I thought it was reasonable. I put a LOT of thought into it. ;)

I will wait and see if Cestus Deception gets any better. I will probably read "the Hive" in the book store.
Ugh.. I saw it and said "why bother?" I can still remeber us sitting at that panel at CC with the authors and after Barnes gave his little talk we had high hopes for his book and were excited to read it.. thats one of the reasons why I was really disapointed.

I'll let you all know if my enjoyment level of Cestus changes. It's starting to. I like Fizzik journeying into the underworld and Nate and his training and thoughts as an ARC are very interesting so far.
Please do. Those were some of the better parts. I kept getting the stupid mental images reading that book: I kept thinking of trillot (?? I think it was him) as that big smoking catapiller from Alice in wonderland :crazed:

Tycho
08-02-2005, 08:34 PM
LOL - I'm thinking "Edgar" from Men In Black....

"I'm Obi-Wan Kenobi. I'm here to solve your Bug Problem."

I keep waiting to find a Jedi with a neural neutralizer!

(and wearing dark sun glasses)

Anyway, I'm still not through this book. It's taking me a while. That's an indicator...

But Ventress is becoming interesting. Remember, this is after the cartoon show and before her return in the comics (around the Jabiim adventures). So everyone who knew about her thinks she's dead - killed by Anakin at the end of the cartoon episodes.

mastermatt24
08-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Anyway, I'm still not through this book. It's taking me a while. That's an indicator...

But Ventress is becoming interesting. .
Uhhh- it took me quite awhile to read.. Ventress was good. Did you get to the fight with her and kit?

fistogreen
12-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Just finished Cestus Deception (Clone Wars Novel) The battle with Ventress and Kenobi, mentioned they were in the water using lightsabers? I was under the impression that only Kit Fisto's saber had this ability to operate in water with his two crystal special set up. Was I reading this battle scene wrong, or is there something I must not know. If anyone can explain this to me, I would appreciate it.

mastermatt24
12-23-2005, 08:25 PM
First off- welcome, second- Im not really sure.. I thought they were kinda above and below the water, but its been a long time since Ive read it.

Tycho
12-23-2005, 11:03 PM
I've just gotten back to re-reading it. I went into the hospital when I was reading this and I had to find all my SW books in storage and start over. Ventress hasn't appeared yet (where I'm at) reading this.

I'll keep you posted though.

mastermatt24
12-24-2005, 01:04 AM
Did your friends never bring it to you? Thats sad! Why were your books in storage? (Did someone get rid of your stuff while you were gone?)

Tycho
12-24-2005, 08:50 AM
No. They must have thought I was going to die. I heard I was given only a 20% chance of living. My stuff was all moved out and placed in storage. With the amount of SW Toys I had, no one knew where to look to find all my books (I still haven't located my TPM and prior books, but I'd read them when I started over just prior to the aneurysm anyway). So I have what I need: Clone Wars and then-on. I mean to go back to storage, but I have plenty to do around here and haven't had the time or inclination.

My one real dream or desire is to get everything back on track and get my large house. Then I'd sort out my scenes with my inventory lists, placing the often-still-carded-figures in the appropriate rooms, and closing them off to my cats. I'll work on my displays room by room, over a year or longer, and make them really good, basically utilizing what I need in terms of rooms in the house as I need them (guest bedroom, office, personal gym, etc.) with things like my bedroom, the kitchen, TV/Theater room being set up immediately and an early focus for my scene developments, and rooms like my library and pool table / bar room being done last. At least I'd have enough floor space to line up each movie version of the Galactic Senate for example, so I could monitor the inventory (every movie should have a Wookiee delegation, but AOTC should be missing a Mon Calamari (Quarren) delegation and ROTS should have actual Meena Tills figures instead of Quarren (Tiikes, Tessek, etc.) I like those kinds of details and it's hard to see them in a storage full of cardboard boxes.

My books (to get back on topic) have almost all been located now and I'm using the top shelf in my walk-in master bedroom closet to put them all in order and resume reading everything in order. The Cestus Deception is really not yet even close to my favorite book (I doubt it will be - I really liked Yoda:Dark Rendezvous and Labrynth of Evil from that era and a lot of the Quinlan Vos Republic comics). I'm recording possible scenes to set up with figures (such as 4 Scorch-version Republic Commandos for Republic Commando "the book") while I read. Cestus is not likely to get done for lack of "X'Ting figures" and no desire for them. I won't keep buying Obi-Wan and Kit figures I don't otherwise need either. If I have an extra Kit and Ventress by accident...

Anyway, I'm more fearful of my loose figures I'd test-set scenes with missing accessories etc. so I yearn for the day when all this is accomplished. It's so like me to not appreciate the journey, but be impatient to "get there."

mastermatt24
12-24-2005, 03:57 PM
Ahhh Josh.. Im sure youll have it done in no time. Remeber at '04 CC when we were listening to Barnes talk about the book and we both thought what a great read it would be? I guess we were kinda wrong. :p
I think Barnes had a good idea with the bugs, but didnt know how to run with it.

Tycho
02-12-2006, 01:08 PM
I've reconsidered after finishing it. It was well-worth reading and Steven Barnes did a great job!

I finally finished Cestus Deception and was very pleasantly surprised!

Sheeka and Jangostat (Rep. Clone Commander Nate) were well-written characters and I warmed up to Regent Duris, Trillot, Quill, and all the X'Ting once I got used to them.

Obi-Wan and Kit Fisto's stunt was cool reading about as well. Ventress was an incredibly well-written enemy and Barnes was well-versed in her history with Obi-Wan Kenobi, as well as other events that were going on in the comics around the time of his novel.

I started liking the book more once I got invested in Sheeka Tull, Jangostat, Regent Duris, etc. I had originally approached it only to learn more about Obi-Wan, but that too didn't disappoint as his mission got more interesting. I didn't expect Snoil to die, but I was never too found of his character until later in the novel.