PDA

View Full Version : Fighting with the FXs?? Come in

Jace1283
01-04-2006, 04:58 AM
alrighty, i cant seem to find anywhere that answers the question, can you fight with these FX sabers?? of course you can but do they hold up and how tough ar they. I've bought the 20 dollar walmart sabers which were fun but you dont cry when it breaks, but playing with a $100 lightsaber is different. My friend just bought a anakin saber from bestbuy and i love it but im not a stare at it on the wall person, i wanna fight with it!

Has anyone broken theirs, whats their limit?
Have you fought with it, how hard?? I know about the video on replicas.com.

Help me out here, once im confident they will hold up well, ill buy one. I understand its not invincible but will it hold up to many fights??

thank you!! :)

Tonysmo
01-04-2006, 05:18 AM
heheheh I cant stare at mine either.

My son and I spar out in the yard at night sometimes. I have the Vader FX and the Anakin FX.

We SPAR.. :) we dont do a full on whack with them,. but we have whacked them together quite a bit.

The issue is that once you start whacking them. you will notice either an LED might go out, or a few dings in the saber itself.

Weve been playing "semi" hardcore with them for awhile. and they are both starting to show a little wear n tear on them.

soooooooo... basically... you can toy around with them if you dont mind a few dings or maybe a burned out LED in them.. I still think mine look great at night. and Im not afraid to take them out and whoop someone with them.

I do cringe when I hand them over to others.. as I know.. and my kid knows.. how hard to smack them.. but others who are holding them for the 1st time.. dont. but they havent broke yet.

theres nothing like a lightsaber battle on a late summer night in the yard as cars are driving by going.. wtf? :)

hope that helps :)

BountyHunterScum
01-04-2006, 06:14 AM
I have them all and I'm not planning on fighting with any of them.

sjd9299
01-04-2006, 08:32 AM
I have three of them and durring the first battle we wacked them pretty hard. No major damage. Some minor scratching is all. They seem to hold up well.

El Chuxter
01-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Waiting in line to see ROTS, there were several people bragging about how much theirs cost, then having huge battles. They seemed to hold up well, but there's no way I'd drop that kind of money on something to whonk people on the head with. :)

Jayspawn
01-04-2006, 10:15 AM
They're not meant for fighting unfortunatly. They're more of a novelty. You can buy parts to make a fighting/stunt saber at a hardware store. Thats the way to go if you want to give gome good wacks!

But if you break or damage an FX, then its your $100 thats gone.

DarkArtist
01-04-2006, 02:32 PM
I've seen people spar with them and like it was stated earlier it will start to show after awhile. I also have seen people really whack away with them and have them shatter on impact. So yes you can spar with them just be aware that they were meant for show and display.

BountyHunterScum
01-04-2006, 07:26 PM
They're not meant for fighting unfortunatly. They're more of a novelty. You can buy parts to make a fighting/stunt saber at a hardware store. Thats the way to go if you want to give gome good wacks!

But if you break or damage an FX, then its your $100 thats gone.

Precisely, you the owner were advised not to battle with them. Some people are ignoring this wise advice.

DarthQuack
01-04-2006, 08:23 PM
I brought my Vader saber to the Episode 3 opening and sparred with two other guys, not full hacking, but hard enough to make it look good. I think you can realize the limits without beating the hell out of someone or something.

Jace1283
01-05-2006, 01:49 PM
thnks for the responses, helps some. so it looks like you can do fighting with them as long as you arent putting force behind your hits. The funny thing is on the masterreplicas site they have a video of a battle where they apear to be goin all out. i've made stunt lightsabers, the only problem is they dont light up, thats all the fun to me. and the FXs are $80 at best buy at the moment, should i pounce on that deal?? they have vader and anakin, are they equal in durability?

Deoxyribonucleic
01-05-2006, 02:38 PM
At the San Diego Comic Con last year, Ray Park was there teaching kids lightsaber moves and sparring with them using the master replicas fx sabers. And there was also adults fighting with some and they were really going at it.

JediTricks
01-05-2006, 05:32 PM
I know it's fun to just hit as hard as you can, but with some skill and practice you can make lighter hits that are fluid and natural and look & feel cool without tearing up the blade housing. That aside, I would say if you're into really lightsaber fighting AND you can afford to replace 'em and don't mind the scuffs on the blade housing, it's definitely worth getting for this purpose at $80.

Jace1283
01-06-2006, 03:46 AM
i bought the anakin saber for 80, they r running out at best buy. my friend bought the vader one and he already has anakin. I'm still thinking about getting the vader one, its pretty nice and i kinda want to fight with one and have the other for not fighting, still not sure if i wanna fight with em at all, specially when the $20 walmart ones hold up pretty good. they are a lot of fun to just swing around at night. $80 seems like a really good deal since they are 119 list and something like 100 on ebay.

JediTricks
01-06-2006, 03:02 PM
It really depends on what you're looking for too. The $6 non-electronic basic Hasbro sabers are a TON of fun, the blades fully retract into the hilt and they are heavier plastic (they show wear though, they turn white on big hits), I have a bunch of those just for wailing on each other. The Hasbro electronic ones make the sounds but the lights are nearly impossible to see in the daytime, same problem with the Force FX. The FX are "legitimate" in my eyes because they look amazing, have incredible blades, and would be good for costume-play, "realism" if you will, but as well as the other concerns here they also have an almost painful-in-your-hands shape to the hilts because lightsabers really aren't made for comfort, which could really tear your hands up during big fights... but might be worth it for how cool the battle will look. :p

Jace1283
01-07-2006, 03:50 AM
After getting the lightsaber and seeing how nice it is I can't bring myself to fight with it, at least not unstaged. I didn't anticipate how fun it is just to swing around at night and thats all ill be doing for now.

We got our $20 light up saber from walmart that hum and do battle clash sounds and have held up well so far to some brutal impacts. I recommend the anakin/vader hasbro electronic light and sound lightsaber. The handle is quite comfortable due to it being slightly oversized and you can change its color from blue to red. The length is good too so you dont feel like you're playing with a 5 year olds toy and the buttons are well placed. Stay away from the obi wan one for night battles, it flashes when you hit(disapears, reapears,disapears,etc) and it vibrates which isnt so bad but probly uses more battery juice.

Tycho
01-11-2006, 01:58 AM
At ROTS opening night, I saw a MR Vader saber slice a Hasbro Mace Windu saber in half and bits of purple flew apart all over the place, LOL.

I'll fight with mine and I've not noticed any wear or tear, but I agree with the person who said, "know how hard is just hard enough" for good and fast combat, and don't try and destroy your MR blades.

Hasbro or otherwise, Obi-Wan's saber from TPM / AOTC is the best design for grip etc. Too bad they don't make it yet. Meanwhile, Luke's ROTJ saber is the currently most-maneuverable. I don't own the Mace Windu saber, but it is an old 6-battery mold so I suspect it is heavier and clumsier than Luke's. I've actually had the pleasure of handling Mace's saber at MR at San Diego Comic Con, but I prefer Luke's. Anyway, blue is my favorite Lightsaber color, so I'm holding out for Obi-Wan's TPM saber. Meanwhile, 2 Darth Maul blades so I can form the double-blade will be my next purchase.

It's sad that there won't be more movies. I'll have to continue going to conventions and the 3D releases to find people to lightsaber fight with. I'll probably be using my Luke ROTJ until I get Maul's and they make my all-time-favorite Obi-Wan's from TPM.

Did I mention that I want Obi-Wan's lightsaber from TPM?

Tonysmo
01-11-2006, 02:47 AM
Precisely, you the owner were advised not to battle with them. Some people are ignoring this wise advice.

hahah some people choose to play with thier toys. some people choose to look at them. whatever.

I was at the convention. I asked the MR guys exactly how hard they would hit them together. I was shown from the MR staff how hard they hit without doing any damage. I am fine in ignoring the wise advice not given to me. :)

have fun staring at your stuff behind glass.

JediTricks
01-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Meanwhile, Luke's ROTJ saber is the currently most-maneuverable. I don't own the Mace Windu saber, but it is an old 6-battery mold so I suspect it is heavier and clumsier than Luke's. What are you talking about? Luke's ROTJ saber is a 6-battery model.

DarthQuack
01-11-2006, 06:28 PM
That's what I was going to chime in about JT, six batteries all the way...

Tycho
01-11-2006, 08:19 PM
You're right about the Luke FX. I just checked mine. I put my batteries in it probably almost 2 months ago. Short memory. Anyway, it still seems to feel lighter than Mace's if I recall correctly - but we already have written evidence of my memory recollection problems. Just the same, my observance of complaints about how they manufactured purple with paper strips and not real purple LEDs turns me off to getting this saber. I'll wait for Maul's and Obi-Wan's TPM edition (2007?).

JediTricks
01-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Luke's ROTJ hilt does feel lighter than the others I have too, I suspect because it's more aluminum than the others and less external parts. Mace's I've only felt at the store, it has a lot of stuff on the outside and I am pretty sure it's a heavier metal than aluminum since it's chromed (I think you can't chrome aluminum easily or possibly at all, so you use nickel or steel or brass).

MrMet
01-14-2006, 02:17 PM
I have seen many FX sabers modified on ebay for fighting. I forget the exact name of the LED they use, i beleive it may be luxur or luxeon. Does anyone know where to find the some plans online to make this saber? I have Vader ANH fx in which the blade craked right at the hilt. This would be hte perfect fix for me.

MrMet
01-14-2006, 02:21 PM
heres a link to one. It would be great if we could find the plans....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6593121980&category=99971

JediTricks
01-15-2006, 04:35 PM
It's an interesting idea, but of course keep in mind that you lose the ladder on/off feature, and the brightness at the further end won't be the same as the closer end. I wonder how they secure the clear blade to the hilt now. Honestly, nobody should be paying $200 for this though.