PDA

View Full Version : It's 11:15 AM PST- Sideshow Excl Ep. III Obi-Wan is SOLD OUT!

Warstar
01-06-2006, 02:16 PM
I got up at 11:05 AM PST (12:05 PM my time), logged in on Sideshow's main page, ordered my Sideshow Exclusive Obi-Wan at 11:07 AM PST- with less than 100 left on their quantity meter, and got one.

As I sat there refreshing, the figure sold out by 11:10 AM.

1750 figures gone in unber an hour and 15 minutes.

WOW!

I'll be up at 10:00 AM PST next time- depending on the figure of course ;) I'm amazed at how fast this one sold out- The Sideshow Exclusive Anakin took the full two hours.

Anyone else luck out?

Blue2th
01-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Yep, got mine. It was still a hassle, even though I am a subscriber. I kept getting shifted back to the "steamline" log in again page. After 8 or 9 re-log ins I finally got the checkout page at 15 minutes till. "Whew"

C5Jedi
01-06-2006, 02:54 PM

?

Good planning by Sideshow on meeting the demand isn't it.lol

Under produced as usual.

Warstar
01-06-2006, 03:02 PM
I am still impressed by the speed they sold though. Under produced? You bet! But is the Grievous Blaster really THAT cool? :p

JediTricks
01-06-2006, 03:10 PM
No, not really *that* cool, but the Sideshow Exclusivity makes it cool, it's the same price as the regular edition.

I got mine, it took me 20 minutes start to finish to get the transation done, their system is not well-set-up. And then to sell out an hour before the priority preorder time is up, that says it all, they've completely borfed by having these SO limited, to the point of actually hurting their public image I suspect. Heaven help those poor souls who got their preorders and then had something happen with their credit cards.

Darth Cruel
01-06-2006, 04:23 PM
I got up at 11:05 AM PST (12:05 PM my time), logged in on Sideshow's main page, ordered my Sideshow Exclusive Obi-Wan at 11:07 AM PST- with less than 100 left on their quantity meter, and got one.

As I sat there refreshing, the figure sold out by 11:10 AM.

WOW!

I'll be up at 10:00 AM PST next time- depending on the figure of course ;) I'm amazed at how fast this one sold out- The Sideshow Exclusive Anakin took the full two hours.

Anyone else luck out?

ROFLMAO - Man! The joke is those of us who stressed for 45 minutes to an hour to get one. WarStar gets out of bed, logs on and gets one ordered in 2 minutes. You certainly earn bragging rights on that one!

rich_of_the_dead
01-06-2006, 06:03 PM
got my usual 5 coming i love democracy :)

Warstar
01-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Hehe- Bragging rights? Maybe- BUT I KNOW I got damned lucky- I have a cable modem, too, so I am sure that helped :p

You do have a point, JT. I hear more grumbling than happiness with the "Limited" stuff that Sideshow is doing.

Once they make a Boba Fett I suspect that the stuff will REALLY hit the fan with the numbers in the Limited Edition. They'll have to make at least 3000 for the edition NOT to sell out in 20 minutes from their Priority Order start time.

What amazed me this morning was getting my order in when there was 100 left. Then, by the time I went back to the page for the figure, there about 70 left. I refreshed like a minute later and there were 30. 2 or 3 minutes later they were GONE. I count my lucky stars that I was able to get one of the last 100- out of 1750...dang-

For the 1750 figures to sell out in 75 minutes, they sold at a rate of about 23 figures PER MINUTE. That makes midnight madness at TRU's for figures from Episodes 1, 2 and 3 COMBINED look like slow sales...

TCC-1972
01-06-2006, 06:51 PM
They have to keep them limited,only the hardcore fans want them. Most normal people won't spend that kind of money for a useless little plastic man. I was into collecting Star Wars hardcore back in 95-97. But most people have moved on by now. The scalpers have died down,the flea markets around here don't have any toys anymore. You have to give your stuff away on Ebay,can't make any profit. Most of your collection is completely worthless. It ran it's course,it's over, Sideshow knows that. If they made too many they'd be screwing themselves. Nobody cares about Star wars any more & majority of the population is sick to death of it! Star Wars = OVERKILL!

Darth Cruel
01-06-2006, 06:57 PM
They have to keep them limited,only the hardcore fans want them. Most normal people won't spend that kind of money for a useless little plastic man. I was into collecting Star Wars hardcore back in 95-97. But most people have moved on by now. The scalpers have died down,the flea markets around here don't have any toys anymore. You have to give your stuff away on Ebay,can't make any profit. Most of your collection is completely worthless. It ran it's course,it's over, Sideshow knows that. If they made too many they'd be screwing themselves. Nobody cares about Star wars any more & majority of the population is sick to death of it! Star Wars = OVERKILL!

I'm not sure if you are serious or being facetious. Help me out.

decadentdave
01-06-2006, 07:09 PM
I love getting on these forums on Pre-Order Fridays and reading all of you guys comment on how bad the pre-ordering system sucks. Once again, I was able to log in at 10:06 AM PST and pre-order the Sideshow exclusive AND log in and order one for my friend under his account.

Was their server a little slow from heavy traffic? Yes. Did you guys who were on the ball ordering before 11:10 PST get one before they sold out? Yes. Is the regular edition still available for all the johnny-come-lately's? Yes. Is it a perfect world? No.

Count your blessings and be glad you got one of these awesome figures.

Now, let the speculation begin on the next figure. Will it be Mace? Will it be Qui-Gon? Will Sideshow "upgrade" their already so-called "upgraded" servers to improve their pre-order system to appease the fans? Will they increase production numbers to make everyone happy? Tune in on the next Pre-Order Friday... same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel! lol

Warstar
01-06-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure if you are serious or being facetious. Help me out.

He sounds serious. Or facetious. Or both.

His comments strike a tone in me that I have been contemplating for a while- namely how someone like me- a child of the early 70's- can remember all of the old Star Wars stuff in the late 70's and early 80's and we wanted as a kid- we wanted all of it- but then didn't get it.

So, natually, in our 20's when the new stuff came out in 1995 we went banannas (SP) over it- some of us (like me) trying to get every carded figure variant, every vehicle- hec, every EVERYTHING- all with the promise of "Limited Collector's Edition" equaling future $$$ in our eyes.

Here's what happened to 90's Collectors:

We 90's collectors got burned.

-We spent thousands of dollars on figures we didn't need because we thought we could sell them or trade them away later for a profit. Wrong.

OR

We 90's collector's lost.

We collected the stuff because we thought it was cool back then. Over time Hasbro came out with sculpts and details on figures that are remarkably cooler than what we had even a few years before. Compare a 1995 Wave 2 Stormtrooper to a 1999 COMMTech Stormtrooper to a 2005 Stormtrooper (say, from the Evolutions pack). Dang. Makes me wish I never bought the 1995 one in the first place but back in 1995- when there WERE no new Star Wars movies coming out in our minds- we thought the toy line would come back, be a novelty through the original Trilogy Special Edition in 1997- then fade away.

Ah, the brilliant George Lucas spent his Star Wars Special Edition theatrical re-release money on Episode 1. So now we needed new figures...

Then George and Rick said Episode 1 and the Original Trilogy would "NEVER" go to DVD.

So now we had figures from Episode 1 that would be around for just a year or two. Ooooo! SOLD!

But then, a few funny things happened:

-George needed money to promote Episode 2. BAM! Episode 1 on DVD.

More figures.

-George needed money to promote Episode 3. BAM! Episode 2 on DVD ALONG with the Original Trilogy .

Even MORE figures.

-Episode 3 on DVD completes the Saga on DVD.

We're drowning in figures...

Put all that together and suddenly Hasbro's Star Wars line was very, very alive.

And super-collectors who started buying the toys for money or novelty or for an investment or to trade or even just because they liked them were suddenly much, MUCH poorer...

So we lost our way- we were promised that our toys would be as precious to us as our old ones- that collector's for years to come would pay top dollar for our .00 Rebel Fleet Troopers or 500th Darth Vader or Collection 3 Freeze Frame Weequay MINT on U.S. Card...whatever. This is not the case. So what do we buy? What we like? But what if, say, a year from now, the figure is re-released and is better? Do we buy it again?

PLUS-

Thanks to uber-exclusives like Georg Sacul or the 2002 Toy Fair Vader, retro-collecting became a thing for rich people (like retro-collecting Magic: The Gathering cards)- most of us 90's Collector's can't afford uber-exclusives, so we have to get on them right away or miss them.

The 90's and 2000's Collector's who hope to cash in on retro-collector's are feeling the burn now; esp. the ones who got the talking Celebration III Vader, as their $70-$100 figures on Ebay are going for $20-$30 now...

Personally, I decided to bail the completist route during the beginning of the POTJ line- and when I heard about the Toyfair Vader and the Star Tours figures and the Silver This and Limited That- I am GLAD I pulled out of being a completist!

ALSO-

We 90's collectors ran out of room

500+ figures out there. Add in vehicles, armies, etc and dang. That's a lot of space.

And so on...

As a 90's Collector, I feel cheated.

But then no one held a blaster to my head and MADE me buy Star Wars figures like junk bonds, either...

I pick and choose what I think is cool nowadays- much to the disappointment of my recovering inner-completist (though I do have a weakness for ROTS Clonetroopers...but then I still smile when I look at them- and that's what makes it worth it :))

As Todd McFarlane himself once said:

"The toughest thing for an addict is to start quitting. Once they start quitting it gets just a little easier each day."

Once I heard him say that- in a documentary that *I* was in no less- I understood.

I'd been cheated- Star Wars (and Spawn but that's another story) burned me out and now 10+ years later I am in so much debt because of my toy buying habits I'll likely never get out before I die of something...

Back on topic:

So, yeah. Sideshow is making their toys limited. It's not due to burn-out or fading collector interest- it's due to some people quitting, and making their lives easier each day.

...but at least 1750 people- including me- still needed their fix...

...even if some of them sell them away on the Bay of E- they still got them before the 1000's of others who missed out. But then, I am learning Envy is a dangerous sin, and continually trying to be the envy of fellow collector's can run you into the poor house.

And now that I am sporadically ranted out and starting to ramble I digress.

Star Wars collecting and Star Wars collectors will never die! They'll just adapt.

Wait until the TV show hits...

And by then, May the Force be with us all.

Sith Lord 0498
01-06-2006, 07:35 PM
I love getting on these forums on Pre-Order Fridays and reading all of you guys comment on how bad the pre-ordering system sucks. Once again, I was able to log in at 10:06 AM PST and pre-order the Sideshow exclusive AND log in and order one for my friend under his account.

Was their server a little slow from heavy traffic? Yes. Did you guys who were on the ball ordering before 11:10 PST get one before they sold out? Yes. Is the regular edition still available for all the johnny-come-lately's? Yes. Is it a perfect world? No.

Count your blessings and be glad you got one of these awesome figures.

Now, let the speculation begin on the next figure. Will it be Mace? Will it be Qui-Gon? Will Sideshow "upgrade" their already so-called "upgraded" servers to improve their pre-order system to appease the fans? Will they increase production numbers to make everyone happy? Tune in on the next Pre-Order Friday... same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel! lol

I'm just asking that Sideshow develop a pre-ordering system that can complement the insane amount of hype that they generate with their products.

I'll be perfectly honest with you: If they implement a system that won't fold so easily, I'd be content. Even if I log on ten minutes into the pre-order and the exclusive is sold out, then so be it...as long as I didn't have to sit at my computer for an hour hitting the refresh button.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I have no problem with having to buy the regular edition as opposed to the exclusive. I'm making these points on behalf of all those collectors who did want the exclusive but got screwed by Sideshow's servers. It's the principle of the situation.

And I can't help but think of other comments I've read on-line by Sideshow supporters (I guess that's what you'd call them) who insist that people who really want the exclusive should work around Sideshow's schedule. OK...they did, and what did it get some of them??? A huge, unbelievable headache. Yeah...that's really worth it.

Tycho
01-06-2006, 07:45 PM
OK - got my exclusive Obi-Wan coming. I think I'll go back and order one more "regular one." This is a nice figure!

I would not buy a SideShow Boba Fett, as well as additional Bounty Hunters (except for Durge I'd guess).

There were 6 Order of the Jedi figures. My guess is:

Luke - confirmed
Anakin - confirmed
Obi-Wan E3 - confirmed
Qui-Gon??? - a natural conclusion
Mace Windu - another natural conclusion

Yoda would be character-wise a natural conclusion, but the body type and the price point they want to go for suggests it would be complicated. I think the Podcast suggested that Yoda would come with a Dagobah or Bespin Luke.

Aayla Secura would almost be a natural since there are no female Jedi in the line yet, and she is by far the most popular and never made by Hasbro.

Adi Gallia, Stass Allie, Luminara Undulli, Baltar Swan, etc. might be other possibilities, but tell me they are going to sell better than Aayla? Shaak-Ti and Bariss were just done by Hasbro. I don't see them revisiting them anywhere in the near future.

As far as more male Jedi? Eeth Koth or Agen Kolar and SaeSee Tiin might be naturals, as part of Mace's posse. Kit Fisto would be a little more complicated, but do-able. I doubt Plo Koon or Ki-Adi Mundi will be revisited so quick after the 2002 figures, but maybe.

I want:

Nute Gunray
SENATOR Palpatine
Chancellor Palpatine (red outfit)
Han Solo Bespin
Princess Leia Bespin
Padme - in a lot of different AOTC and ROTS outfits
Captain Panaka (TPM)
Princess Leia Endor Gear (without Barbie smile)

And there are more I'm not thinking of at the moment that I'll hold out for.

I doubt I'd buy a Sith Line (Dooku, Maul, Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Grevious, etc.) as I'm satisfied with my Hasbro figures.

I think I'm going to backtrack that SideShow Anakin figure though. I cringe at thinking of displaying my SS Obi-Wan with that Hasbro figure...

AmanaMatt
01-06-2006, 07:56 PM
This round took 25 minutes for me - about 15 min longer than it should, but at least it was not the outrageous hour as last time....as for the limited nature of this, I am torn since just an accessory.

Darth Cruel
01-06-2006, 07:57 PM
I am still a completist. But I used to be a "triple completist". I used to buy three of everything. One to open, one to display in the package, and a spare in case my kids trashed one. I have cut back to one complete set (mainly because I have not wanted to be part of the availability problem. I have a job that easily supports my habit AND my family, and I have enough room to display what I want displayed, but I do rotate the stuff I display as I am not interested in having the whole collection out at once), and extras only of the ones I find to be cool. That is usually limited to well sculpted AND articulated figures like some of the recent 3 3/4" clones and a few of the 12" like Dooku, and the OTC Stormtrooper. Now this Sideshow line has come along and seems to be pretty much perfect in the design of the figures (final judgment reserved for when I can get a hands and eyes on the actual product, but as I always say, Sideshow's reputation is pretty outstanding). I never did care about what the figure would be worth in the future, but I do watch how much I pay. The quality of these Sideshow figures makes them worth the price to me.

Warstar
01-06-2006, 08:13 PM
I am still a completist. But I used to be a "triple completist". I used to buy three of everything. One to open, one to display in the package, and a spare in case my kids trashed one. I have cut back to one complete set (mainly because I have not wanted to be part of the availability problem. I have a job that easily supports my habit AND my family, and I have enough room to display what I want displayed, but I do rotate the stuff I display as I am not interested in having the whole collection out at once), and extras only of the ones I find to be cool. That is usually limited to well sculpted AND articulated figures like some of the recent 3 3/4" clones and a few of the 12" like Dooku, and the OTC Stormtrooper. Now this Sideshow line has come along and seems to be pretty much perfect in the design of the figures (final judgment reserved for when I can get a hands and eyes on the actual product, but as I always say, Sideshow's reputation is pretty outstanding). I never did care about what the figure would be worth in the future, but I do watch how much I pay. The quality of these Sideshow figures makes them worth the price to me.

I hear ya- I was a "double-completist" myself (one to keep, one to open), and I went down the road of "A Dozen of every Trooper," which I am happy to say I succeeded at (even 12 Space Troopers and Dark Troopers)...

...alas, though I am selling the majority of everything, I'll miss having it all (at least from the 1995 line up to the end of the Episode 1 line), but I never got to display much of it. I don't have a job to support the habit or the room to show it all- let alone store it all- so I have to call it quits and hopefully retro-collect.

(I have a dream where I will hire someone someday, hand them a DVD-ROM with all of my Ebay auctions that I have sold through the years and say "Find it all. The toys don't have to come from the people who bought them from me- they just have to be the same toys in the same condition as I sold them in. Get them all. No matter the price. Good luck :)" With 540+ auctions in the last 3 years alone and counting, that could be an interesting job for someone :D)

Anyway-

I switched gears- I am doing the double-complete thing with the Star Wars 3" Titaniums, but the rest? I can live with one ;)

Sideshow's stuff makes me drool but alas, I can't really afford them all that well and I have never really been into 12 inch stuff. I pre-ordered a Premium Format Grievious back on May 8th, 2005, but I don't really think I want him anymore, as he just wasn't as cool in the movies as he looked (which is being ranted on in another thread so I'll stop). I do like the Anakin and Obi-Wan though...though I don't know if I can afford to get them and keep them. Hopefully pre-ordering them will buy me some time to pay for them.

As far as future figures, Sideshow should make the popular characters to get the line established. I'd say Mace Windu and Qui-Gon are good bets for the immediate future- esp. Mace- but eventually they will do Fett(s) and more Luke's and everyone else. It's how a toy line matures. See their Buffy: The Vampire Slayer line and you'll see what I mean.

However, their LOTR 12" line is puzzling me- they made a not-so-popular character for their first outing AND they limited the exclusive to 750...

Sideshow guys are crazy like foxes ;)

Either way, I think this last Star Wars sale was a success, personally. Even if I did luck out :p

silmarillionart
01-06-2006, 08:16 PM
First time poster, longtime lurker.

As I understand it, Sideshow has mentioned going out of their way with the 12" line to incorperate alien species not based on human structure. In a most drastic scenario they might actually create a whole new body for a limited one shot figure, something like Master Vos for example. As for other Jedi, besides the obvious Qui-Gon and Windu, I would guess Shak-Ti before Aayla, since Shak-Ti's articulation is much more hidden. Sideshow DOES realize scantilly clad women in 1/6th scale look like crap and don't sell particularly well.

Darth Cruel
01-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Welcome doesn't seem appropriate if you have been around for awhile, but just not posting, sil. But you get the point. It is always good to have another point of view.

silmarillionart
01-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Welcome doesn't seem appropriate if you have been around for awhile, but just not posting, sil. But you get the point. It is always good to have another point of view.

Yeah, I apologize for the sudden burst into the conversation, just wanted to catch that Aayla thing. I really wish that Kir Kanos won the poll though, as the line already appears to be pretty prequel heavy.

Then again, that could just be the fact there were only 3 jedi in the original trilogy, and I don't see them making an old Obi-wan anytime soon.

I truly believe this line has nowhere to go but up, but I'd enjoy it immensely if it diversified a lot with species. Something like Coleman Trebor or Roron Carobb strikes the cool string just about right, then you can go back to humans in almost identicle cloaks, no?

Sith Lord 0498
01-06-2006, 11:20 PM
I'd like to chime back in with a few points. Keep in mind that these are my own opinions and speculations. None of this has been concretely announced.

First, the Yoda situation. My interpretation of the podcast was that they consider Yoda to be too important of a character to attach him as an accessory, and they're looking into a way to release him. I doubt he'll be a part of some two pack...unless it's a Yoda two pack (prequel and OT). Or they'll release him with an insane amount of accessories to justify a price point equal to their other figures...an amount similar to the Hasbro Saga release that never really saw the light of day.

Imagine a Yoda with the following accessories:

Council chair
Hoverchair
Lightsaber (ignited and hilt-only)
Walking stick
Datapad

Secondly, the remainder of the Jedi series:

I think there will only be two more Jedi for the time being...Mace Windu and then Qui-Gon Jinn. Then, the Clone Wars Arctic Padme will be announced with the Sith series (Series 2) following her. I remember reading somewhere recently (though I can't remember the source) that a Sith character would be in the next 3 or 4 announcements. Following my predictions, a Sith would be the fourth announcement after Obi-Wan, and I'm betting it will be Darth Maul.

Blue2th
01-07-2006, 11:50 AM
One thing I wish Sideshow would have made for Obi-Wan is a left hand that points. I want to display him in that cool pose he does I think twice in ROTS, where he points to his opponent (Grievous) with his left hand, with raised lightsaber in right hand, ready to fight. Wasn't that a cool pose Obi-Wan did? It made him look aggressive.

Tycho
01-07-2006, 03:30 PM
I thought he was using the Force to suggest to Grievous that his shoe laces were untied.

Blue2th
01-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Or suggesting through the force, to put some shoes on for crissake, so he wouldn't have to hear that clink, clink, clink, (cough) clink clink.

echobanzai
01-07-2006, 09:53 PM
sideshow should have had FOUR obiwan heads!

1, young ewen mccragor
2. episode 2 ewen, bushy haired
3. middle aged ewen, short hairrd
4. old man ben kenobi!!!

interchangable heads. the exclusive could have been the old man head. that would have been an exclusive, no?

i cannot wait for more jedi! mace would be fresh.

Darth Cruel
01-07-2006, 10:08 PM

1, young ewen mccragor
4. old man ben kenobi!!!

interchangable heads. the exclusive could have been the old man head. that would have been an exclusive, no?

i cannot wait for more jedi! mace would be fresh.

Except for heads like the severed head of the Kurgan that came with Connor McCleod (from clan McCleod), from The Highlander, I haven't seen any figures come with extra heads.

I can only assume that it has something to do with the head being such a big part of each figure's production. Let's face it, the bodies are all the same so they don't have to resculpt them for each figure. Some of the accessories (such as the Jedi food capsules, Jedi communicators, Jedi aqua breathers, holographic projectors, robes, sashes, pants, and tunics are pretty much standard. It would be nice, though. Unless you want to do a side-by-side.

Tycho
01-07-2006, 10:16 PM
It would be nice, though. Unless you want to do a side-by-side.

Then buy more than 1 of them. We will be anyway - well you guys. I want 2 ROTS Obi-Wan's and that will suit me.

silmarillionart
01-08-2006, 01:08 AM
Except for heads like the severed head of the Kurgan that came with Connor McCleod (from clan McCleod), from The Highlander, I haven't seen any figures come with extra heads.

Sideshow's Alec Trevelan (Sean Bean) from the James Bond line has interchangable heads (the exclusive anyway), it worked pretty well all things considered. I think there should be a separate Episode 1 Obi-Wan, but a whole new figure for Episode 2 might be stretching it. This won't be like Hasbro, where you can have 3 or 4 versions of the same character from the same exact scene in a 5 year period. We'll be lucky if these trickle out at 6 or 7 a year, they're not gonna want to revisit almost identicle figures on a consistant basis. Which isn't to say they won't revisit characters, just not 4 times. Although I'm betting Sith Eyes Anakin ends up as a convention exclusive at some point.

JediTricks
01-08-2006, 03:48 AM
Maybe- BUT I KNOW I got damned lucky- I have a cable modem, too, so I am sure that helped I suspect being on Cable or DSL only helps *a little* in terms of getting onto their site, I think part of the issue is that their network isn't able to handle it so depending on where you are and how their network connects to your ISP may be more helpful than the speed of your internet connection.

Once they make a Boba Fett I suspect that the stuff will REALLY hit the fan with the numbers in the Limited Edition. They'll have to make at least 3000 for the edition NOT to sell out in 20 minutes from their Priority Order start time.If they can't fix the issue by the time Fett and/or Vader come out, they're gonna end up in huge amounts of trouble with jilted collectors I suspect, a level of frustration we really haven't seen before even. I actually got a pit in my stomach when I read your sentence.

They have to keep them limited,only the hardcore fans want them. Most normal people won't spend that kind of money for a useless little plastic man.I think that's a weak argument because they seem to have NO problem releasing 7000 regular versions, and *all* of those they made available for preorder were gone soon after release as well. My guess is they are underestimating the interest in these by as much as 2 to 1, not only are Star Wars collectors into this but casual SW fans who collecto SSC or just 1/6th scale in general want 'em too.

Yoda would be character-wise a natural conclusion, but the body type and the price point they want to go for suggests it would be complicated. I think the Podcast suggested that Yoda would come with a Dagobah or Bespin Luke.They said they weren't fixed to any specific pricepoint or body size, if I remember correctly, but I think Yoda's incredibly small size and slightly-alien proportions would kill that one.

Then again, that could just be the fact there were only 3 jedi in the original trilogy, and I don't see them making an old Obi-wan anytime soon.Boy I hope you're not right about that, although Hasbro's 12" Obi-Wan entries weren't bad work, I'd really like to have a Sideshow Alec Guinness version of Obi-Wan, he's probably my favorite SW character.

One thing I wish Sideshow would have made for Obi-Wan is a left hand that points. I want to display him in that cool pose he does I think twice in ROTS, where he points to his opponent (Grievous) with his left hand, with raised lightsaber in right hand, ready to fight. Wasn't that a cool pose Obi-Wan did? It made him look aggressive.What about a second head, one with that bucktooth-baring expression on his face? :D <-- (like that only angrier ;))

Actually, my goofy comment there touches on something I had mentioned a while back, I think some of these figures such as Ep 3 Obi-Wan should have come with swappable heads so he could also be Ep 2 Obi-Wan, same with Ep 3 Anakin (I think he has the same outfit, maybe a different robe though) - they'd need the correct lightsabers but no biggie there. There's a few times where the hairstyle changes but the outfit doesn't, there's no way I'd want to buy another exact same body and costume on a different head.

1, young ewen mccragor
4. old man ben kenobi!!!

interchangable heads. the exclusive could have been the old man head. that would have been an exclusive, no?Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at just now, though Ep 1 Ewan's outfit was somewhat different from the Ep 2 version, and ANH Ben's outfit was a lot different. All in subtle ways though, they probably *could* have pulled this off. Oh man, then we'd have 4 times as much trouble getting this figure as we did. :eek:

echobanzai
01-08-2006, 07:33 AM
jedi tricks

i used to have dial up, till i started buying on ebay a few years ago, and screwed on outbids, cause my damn dial up kept crashing on me!

so even though it is more expensive at least flip for the DSL. they have commercials running here saying it is 15 bucks a month. damn cheap, if it is true.

medicom releases toys with different heads, and that is why i posted it. then i read up here, that some james bond figures have different heads too.

i thought it would have been funny, to throw some extra heads in there. though, i thihnk, my favorite hair cut of ben kenobi's, is this short conservative cut, that sideshow made.

and for damn sure, when boba fett goes on sale, i am just hoping to get one of them, reguardless of whether it is the extra special edition, or regular.

sideshow could royally do it up, if they made HAN IN CARBONITE the extra in the sideshow exclusive version!

imagine that?

Blue2th
01-08-2006, 11:03 AM
I remember listening to Sideshow's Podcast and the mention of swap-able heads. If that was so, they missed the best opportunity with Anakin Sith Eyes. Then again why make a figure with interchangable heads, when you can use the same body and uniform to re-package the figure, put a new head on it and sell it as a new figure, same character $$$

Tycho
01-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Right. I can't wait for Hoth Leia and Bespin Escape Leia :rolleyes:

Actually, Bespin (red gown) Leia is on the top of my want-list.

Blue2th
01-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Yeah right, I can't wait for Grievous with shoe laces, and Obi-Wan with bucktooth grin:rolleyes: :whip:

Warstar
01-08-2006, 06:14 PM
It's weird to me that they sold out of 7000 Anakins already...

At least the Sidwhsow Exclusives on the two figures made so far aren't THAT cool- save for the one Jedi Luke had...but even then, they're off to a rocky start.

*Crosses his fingers*

decadentdave
01-08-2006, 09:30 PM
It's weird to me that they sold out of 7000 Anakins already...

At least the Sidwhsow Exclusives on the two figures made so far aren't THAT cool- save for the one Jedi Luke had...but even then, they're off to a rocky start.

*Crosses his fingers*

The reason why they sold out of 7000 is because online re-sellers like Bigbadtoystore, Amoktime, Toynk, etc. purchase large orders to carry their product. They only sell the regular editions, not the Sideshow exclusive editions. You can still find Jedi Luke, Anakin and Obi-Wan online from one of these sellers. Amoktime still has Anakin available: http://www.amoktime.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamTxt=*&txtFromSearch=&subcat=547

JediTricks
01-08-2006, 10:24 PM
i used to have dial up, till i started buying on ebay a few years ago, and screwed on outbids, cause my damn dial up kept crashing on me!

so even though it is more expensive at least flip for the DSL. they have commercials running here saying it is 15 bucks a month. damn cheap, if it is true.I have DSL already. I figured if someone was having dial-up problems like that, it'd be a different matter - you can't blame SSC's network for being unable to connect to your dial-up if your dial-up keeps crashing on you. I just meant "working" dial-up wouldn't be at issue.

As for $15 a month, my business partner has DSL from SBC who is also the phone company there and that's what we pay, $15 a month and as far as I know no extra fees (Earthlink whom I use charges $40 a month but nearly half that is phone company fees which is SBC in my area).

sideshow could royally do it up, if they made HAN IN CARBONITE the extra in the sideshow exclusive version!

imagine that?I thought they said they wouldn't go there, no exclusive accessories that were so important, if they ever did it'd suck.