PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming 2006 Lego System Star Destroyer...

Warstar
01-07-2006, 04:35 PM
DANG IT! I just got OUT of Lego's and now they release this new Star Destroyer set and it has an alternate model I. Must. Build.

Namely, Dash Rendar's Outrider! Dang cool...and I have a weakness for Shadows of the Empire...which is 10 years old this year :p

Cool!

Anyone else plan on getting this thing? :D

starwarsfan1
01-07-2006, 06:40 PM
I cant wait for this set. I have the UCS and have wondered if they'll make one mini-fig scale. Also cant wait for the Sail Barge. Lego is making my dreams come true this year.:D

DarthQuack
01-07-2006, 07:24 PM
I think this looks awesome, but it's always disappointing if we want to build the Outrider but don't get any directions for it.

starwarsfan1
01-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Maybe, if were lucky someday Lego will dip their hand in to EU and make an Outrider set. Its wishful thinking, but anything is possible.

Slicker
01-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Maybe, if were lucky someday Lego will dip their hand in to EU and make an Outrider set. Its wishful thinking, but anything is possible.That would be nice but I guess we'll just have to be content with the alternate, instructionless model that you can build out of the ISD.

JediTricks
01-08-2006, 01:44 AM
I was impressed enough with the box's photos of the 2 alt models that I highlighted them when I posted them in the news, they both look very good. There's a chance that Lego will release the instructions for the Outrider on the web, it's happened before.

The set itself looks good, I hope I'll have the scratch when it hits the streets... and a new apartment to put it in. :p

LusiferSam
01-08-2006, 12:19 PM
That would be nice but I guess we'll just have to be content with the alternate, instructionless model that you can build out of the ISD.
My experience has been the alternate model aren't as hard to build as one might think. The alternates are rarely as complex as the main model. All you really need to do is study the photo very carefully. The goal is to make yours look like the photo rather than have an exact copy of what Lego made.

I find the mini-figure selection for this set very odd. Vader, the Stormtroopers, and the Imperial Officer are all fine, as are mouse droid and black R2 unit (neither of which are true mini-figures). But Tarkin and the Royal Guards are totally out of place. The only place the Royal Guards should show up is with the Emperor, not his hologram (also out of place on an ISD). We never saw Tarkin any where but the Death Star. More Stormtroopers and/or Imperial Officers would have been better. Or better yet Star Destroyer Commanders.

Warstar
01-08-2006, 05:19 PM
With the mini-figs, now I'll need a Dash and Leebo 2D9 :p I bet Lego will release the alternate Outrider instructions on the web- either that or someone at FBTB.net will make and post them :)

Dash Rendar
01-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I am making a petition to send to lego saying that all the people on it want them to come out with the outrider as a buyable lego model with directions. If you want to sign it then send me your email adress so I can send you the petition. You then can send it to other people you know who whould want this to happen, if you do send it to other people make sure it comes back to me with all of their names on it. My email is mikeweez@comcast.net .

Mandalorian Candidat
01-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Has anyone bought this yet and want to give a review? I've had it for about a month now and haven't cracked it open yet. I don't have anywhere to put it when it's done so it'll have to stay in the box for now.

Kidhuman
01-10-2007, 08:36 AM
I havent bought it, but a dude at work has it on his desk. It is really nice looking, about 1/2 the size of the USC ISD.

LusiferSam
01-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Has anyone bought this yet and want to give a review? I've had it for about a month now and haven't cracked it open yet. I don't have anywhere to put it when it's done so it'll have to stay in the box for now.

I just found it at Target and built it last night. For such a large set it was a pretty fast build, just under 3 hours. I'm in the same boat as you as far as not knowing where to put it. It's a pretty good set, but not without flaws. I'll try and write a review later tonight.

LusiferSam
01-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Ok I said I would try to write a review to the ISD, so here I go. First off the instruction book dived into to books. I like this because some of the really thick instructions booklets very often fell like they are going fall apart. There are 12 sub assemblies, with 2-7 being the lower part of the ship and 8-12 being the upper portions. 1 is just the mini-figures.

You start by building the floor of the lower haul. It's made from plates and is pretty sturdy once finished. I notice that there was some problems with color some of the plates. All of the 2x6 plates were a different color of blueish dark gray then the other blueish dark gray parts. :mad: I tried taking some photos by they were all blurry, so I'll have to post them later. Next you build a skeleton frame work for the interior detail and the to hold the haul plates. This could have been designed better. It kept wanting to fall apart on me (working at a bigger table would have helped too ;) ).

After the interior, which I'll talk about later, you build the outer haul plates. Both upper and lower plate section hold on very well, I was impressed. The upper plates open very nicely and don't want to fall apart. There's two sections that open. A tiny front section and then the main section.

The upper portion of the ship is built by making again a skeleton frame for the haul plates and the bridge. The bridge is pretty tiny, but it would have to be given the scale. I love the way that it opens. It's attached by a technic beam and pivots when you open it. Very classic Lego. The then haul plates are added. One detail I've not heard talk about is that it fires. There are two red technic pieces on the upper ship that have nothing to do with holding on the bottom. There's a place on each side to hold a green lightsaber blade. A quick flick of the this red element and you launch the blade.

The interior I find to be pretty disappointing. Some elements look out of place, some are in inconvenient places, some are odd (but cool). Vader's mediation chamber looks cool opened up, but can't cut it when "closed." It's needs some of these parts (http://peeron.com/inv/parts/2468). I might try and dig out the few that I have see if it looks better or not. The stand for Vader's helmet is looks out of place. I have yet to get the crane arm to hold the helmet on it's own. The Emperor hologram is in a very inconvenient spot and can't place up or out of the way without removing it. The spot where Vader kneels in pretty good. It's base is white rather than black, but the rest is pretty clever. And there's a gun locker for the big guns. Cool, but doesn't work that well.

The ships bay is mainly for housing the escape pod. The escape pod is very similar to the Mk II Falcon's escape pod. The very front opens up to a button that ejects the escape pod. The siding of the hanger I find doesn't stay on to well.

My early comments about the mini-figures still hold true.

Any way I hope that helps.