PDA

View Full Version : Got my case of 12 2006 Titaniums from EE today

Warstar
01-08-2006, 02:00 AM
And WOW...and WeIrD!

The case I got was the second assortment, so I got:

1X White TIE (I need another top open...)
1X Vulture Droid (I need another to open...)
2X Clone Tank
2X Jango's Slave 1
2X Speeder Bikes
2X Republic Cruisers

and

2X Death Stars

So my pattern of "1 to keep, 1 to open" is doing well now :)

I thought I would have an extra Death Star since I have the Galoob one open but there is a MARKED difference in this new one from the old one, and I decided that I would open ships that were REALLY different or repaints from the old line, so I had to open this Death Star. Check out the comparison pics below from the old Galoob one to this new one! (Old '97 Galoob on the left, 2006 Hasbro on the right).

The other pic is of my display wall where I have all of my closed Titaniums. Love the little buggers. You'll notice the Tri-Lingual Wookie Flyer, and that I am STILL missing a Naboo Royal Starship, Ravaged Falcon and Green ROTS JSF. Still makes me mad about those...just need 1 of each closed with the old packaging is all!

Anyway-

I don't like the new 2006 "Titanium first, Star Wars second" packaging. On some ships, the new open bubble looks too "naked-" i.e. too much space. On others it looks ok. We'll have to see how other "property's" ships look in them (i.e. the Stargate stuff, etc.).

Also, the tape on the back look has been replaced by Hasbro sandwiching that packaging between 2 layers of cardboard which is a nice touch. However, the plastic-reinforced hanger hook is now just one layer of cardboard, which is flimsy and bad.

Overall, though, I still love the toys :D

Enjoy the pics!

Oh yeah- kudos to anyone who can tell me why the ships on my wall are in the order they are in ;)

JediTricks
01-08-2006, 03:00 AM
Cool photos. Is your wall in movie order? Seems like a tough way to do it, any time they release something new you gotta move EVERYTHING after it.

That is a marked difference on the DS, I like how the old one (which is to the left of me and 3 feet ahead) matches the dish to the matte gray base color, but the new one has tighter detail and the equator ring is bigger - I am definitely getting this one now.

As for the non-tri-lingo packaged cancelled 4th wave of WM ships, are we sure that packaging actually exists? I've not seen confirmation of that, and packaging is usually the last thing they make on the product so they may have made the toys but not the US packaging.

I don't mind the change to "Titanium Series" as the line focus because they're adding non-Star Wars to the series and I like that. I always thought the packaging was too large for the toys though, it looks good but is totally wasting the space inside, the packaging could be probably 1/3rd the size and still get the job done - especially since the new designs are nearly all SMALLER than the Galoob originals.

Kidhuman
01-08-2006, 03:48 AM
HOw much was the case?

AndyW
01-08-2006, 06:57 AM
The new Death Star repaint looks great. Still am waiting to see a Venator Star Destroyer out of the packaging as I'm getting impatient for mine to arrive!

I now only need Jango's Slave One from this wave, all the rest are on the way from various ebay sellers. Have bagged two Venators, as I want to open one right away, can't wait until display time!

Sith Lord 0498
01-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Oh yeah- kudos to anyone who can tell me why the ships on my wall are in the order they are in ;)

They're arranged in order of their initial appearance in the Star Wars Saga.

Slicker
01-08-2006, 12:02 PM
They're arranged in order of their initial appearance in the Star Wars Saga.If that's the case then he's got the JSF and Venerator backwards.:p

Warstar
01-08-2006, 06:08 PM
JT- Yep- they are in order of appearance in the saga. It's fun to move them all down but yeah- there ya go. You'll notice that Episode 1 thus far has only one ship from it that's been released- unless I ever get the Naboo Royal Starship in the old packaging.

A lot of auctions show the Wave 4 stuff in English non-trilingual packaging. When I got the Flyer it was a total surprise but then the guy did use stock photos for his auction. I have yet to see an actual auction that picutres the Titaniums in Wave 4 without some kind of photo that hasn't been used a million times. So, if I track down Wave 4 this way i'll let you know ASAP- or else I'll just be REALLY miffed at getting all Tri-Lingual packages...

The equitorial ring on the new DS is PAINTED- that black is not a groove or anything- it's just a ring of black paint on the upper hemisphere of the globe. It still looks good. What impressed me on the new DS is little paint separations in the new paint job versus the old and the move from the matte finish to semi glossy- it looks kinda' cool :) I was a little bummed about the reflector dish plastic, too, but when you see it "live" it's not nearly as noticeable (the flash on the camera I used does a lot to drown out color and expose color flaws.)

KH- The case, with shipping, was $81.97- not too danged bad @ $6.83 per ship. Totally worth it n my eyes because now I don't really have to hunt until March (though I do need to scrape up a white TIE and Vulture to open).

AndyW- Just opened my Venerator today and it's pretty cool- but has absolutely no play features. The long back thrusters have an "even-ness" problem, too- that is, one is lower than the other. I have been trying to bend them out into shape but they are some kind of rigid plastic that doesn't let me do it. In other words, this ship is pretty but it's not as cool as I had hoped it would be.

Sith Lord and Slicker- Yep- you're right- order of appearance- and I switched the two :D

Anyway- after opening all but the Vulture and Treasure TIE the one I like the most aside from the Death Star is the Speeder Bike, amazingly enough. It's cool looking- esp. next to the AT-RT.

The worst one, to me, is the Venerator. It just promised a lot and delivered little- but it's pretty.

Jango's Slave 1's cockpit window is made from nigh opaque plastic- you can't really see through it but it's not pure black plastic- it's deep, deep RED. Red is weird, and you can't see the detail inside the cockpit at all (presumably since they're using the old mold they didn't want to redo the interior one that shows Boba Fett only so they didn't have to show Jango and Boba in there instead).

I like the Clone Tank but I still wish it had a stand. Making only 4 of the 10 wheels articulate stinks, too, but it still looks cool and it has a tiny turret that moves on the top front :p

This line is cool- I am excited about the next wave. I am glad my pocketbook has a chance to recover...especially since it's going to be SEVERELY WOUNDED by Wave 4 at some point here...:(

JediTricks
01-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Naboo Royal Starship and the Trade Fed AAT are coming up soon, so that should bolster your ranks a bit. There are probably more, but I forgot what's listed and what's not yet. Sith Infiltrator, the podracers, Trade Fed landing craft, Trade Fed battleship, Gungan sub, they have molds for all of these diecasts.

I look forward to seeing what you find about the wave 4's.

Painted equator ring? Huh, it looks like the thin groove of the original just taller, well painted ain't so bad if it's not sloppy work.

On your Venator, I haven't found one yet, but I suspect the engines are glued in which if done wrong would be the source of the mis-alignment.

Warstar
01-09-2006, 03:48 AM
Naboo Royal Starship and the Trade Fed AAT are coming up soon, so that should bolster your ranks a bit. There are probably more, but I forgot what's listed and what's not yet. Sith Infiltrator, the podracers, Trade Fed landing craft, Trade Fed battleship, Gungan sub, they have molds for all of these diecasts.

I look forward to seeing what you find about the wave 4's.

Painted equator ring? Huh, it looks like the thin groove of the original just taller, well painted ain't so bad if it's not sloppy work.

On your Venator, I haven't found one yet, but I suspect the engines are glued in which if done wrong would be the source of the mis-alignment.

True on the ranks bolstering. I am still doing the math on Wave 3, 4 and 5 of the general Titaniums as listed on EE to find out if I want to order a wave or not (gotta' get the most bang for the buck)

I think so far I want to order EE's Wave 4 listing with:

1x Treasure Hunt Republic Gunship (Clone Wars deco)
2x Darth Vader's TIE Fighter
1x Imperial Shuttle Tyderium
1x AT-AT

2x Wookiee Helicopter
2x Anakin's Jedi Starfighter (Green)
1x Royal Starship
2x Battle-Ravaged Millennium Falcon

Wave 3 has a lot of AT-AT's and Shuttles, while Wave 5 has more Naboo Royal Starships to open. Still pondering there.

Otherwise, I am in contact with an Australian and he has non-Tri-Lingual Titaniums from Wave 4...I hope I get them from him.

The Death Star's split is still there and the top still turns for the laser firing effect on the Death Star, but the groove is no bigger than the old one. The black painted ring makes it look bigger, though, and as I said- nice touch. It's definitley machine painted and not sloppy at all.

The Venerator's long engines are rubber-plastic, and one side is stuck in more than the other. However, after wiggling the mis-aligned one around a bit a I heard a 'pop' and now they're lined up :D w00t!

AndyW
01-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Wahay, some of mine turned up today. The Clone Tank, White TIE, speeder bike and Assault Cruiser. Since the single cruiser that I'd bought from another seller still hasn't shown up I couldn't resist opening up the one I got today. This has to be my favourite Titanium so far!

Lack of play features doesn't bother me to be honest, its such a good rendition of the ship. My only compaint, too small, this ship is crying out to be done as an Ultra!

The other ships will stay in the packaging until the grand day when I open the lot for display!

Death Star, Droid fighter and Jango are either on the way or will be shortly. Great wave so far though. Now, to chase up this AWOL Assault Cruiser!

JediTricks
01-13-2006, 04:52 PM
I picked up the Death Star yesterday, I didn't realize till I saw it in person that the painted equatorial trench is only on the TOP half, so it's technically not right, but it looks close enough that you don't notice till you're up close.

Warstar
01-13-2006, 06:45 PM
I mentioned that long ago my friend ;) In a post in here.

Maybe I shouldn't write so much ;)

*Hunts down Wave 4...*

JediTricks
01-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Huh, so you did. I somehow overlooked that, I read the sentence right before and after it too. Sorry about that.

Warstar
01-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Heh- nothing to apologize for :p

Sith happens :D