PDA

View Full Version : TSC Han Solo Carbonite

JediTricks
01-08-2006, 07:46 PM
It's been a while since the last Han Carbonite figure, 1998 saw the release of the cartoonish, shrimpy version from the Jabba's 3D cardboard playset, and the '96 was when the previous basic figure came out - you could also count the Han from the TRU-exclusive Skirmish at Carkoon multipack, but that figure was simply pieced together from other figures and came with no carbonite block - so finally 10 years later, we have another Han Solo in Carbonite figure as the second figure in the TSC line. This version is a mix of concepts, in some ways it's the Han from the skiff where his shirtsleeves are full-length and his hair is dry, while in others it's right after he fell out of the carbonite block where he has stained his shirt and his face is wet.

Packaging: 3.5/5
The front sports Han with his leg through the tray, his carbonite block, and a force-pike slid through the tray past Han's hand, all of which sits in front of an image of Jabba's sail barge suggesting a photo taken from the deck of a skiff, and the insert's photo is Harrison Ford holding the pike -- so carded, you aren't left feeling empty. The back's graphics are jumbled, the small movie photo here is of the Han's face in the carbonite block glowing red, and there's some corny text. I appreciate the lack of tape, twisties, and clear-bands normally used to secure figures to their tray, here the tray is doing all the work and doing it well, but you still have to damage the packaging to get the bubble off.

Sculpt-Design: 4.5/5
Han's head sculpt is pretty good, better than preview photos suggested, although there are some angles where it still looks weird. It's often very difficult to capture Harrison Ford's likeness, and even the better versions look off to some folks which I'm sure is to be the case here, but this figure's face does look like the actor and they got the hair right -- posing helps the likeness grow on you, and from a foot away it looks even better. The ball-jointing does affect the head's look some, especially from his left, but it's not too bad.

The outfit and body sculpt are quite good, detailed and realistic with the tunic finally the right open-flaps design, and Han is the right build and height; the shirtsleeves aren't bunched up like when he first was released. The pose is natural without being robotically-stiff, and the facial expression is neutral with the mouth barely open. There's no way to fudge the carbonite pose though. The right hand is sculpted in a blaster-holding pose, but sadly no blaster was included with this figure - it looks good holding Jabba's Palace Luke's blaster though.

Articulation: 2.5/5
Unfortunately, they went soft on the articulation: ball-jointed head, standard shoulders, diagonal-cut elbows, standard wrists, waist, and hips - that's not really much more than 10 years ago. The figure can stand naturally or with his arms behind his back thanks to cut-jointed elbows which let the arms straighten naturally, but the lack of universal-jointed shoulders keeps you struggling against the limited arms for good poses; the lack of lower leg articulation is also a disappointment. The ball-neck allows a lot of subtle expressions, and while it can look up some, it would be nice if it could tilt more for a better version of the "saving Lando from the sarlacc" scene.

Paint-Deco: 4/5
The head is pretty good, the plastic color is skintone pink and a little shiny like it's wet, the hair works well with a dark base and then lighter top layer - though the ball-joint cup has no paint so it gives Han a slight skintone mullet. The eyebrows are surprisingly good, and his eyes aren't too oversized which is nice, but they are in an upward gaze I guess to support the "saving Lando" pose. The outfit elements are all good (if you don't mind that the yellow bloodstripes are thickly-painted lines, I don't), the shirt is a good off-white, the matte black boots and belt are very nice work, and the brown pants even have a little realistic weathering.

The figure's neck had to be painted and the work is quite sloppy, it's an ok color match but they didn't fill the area in well so there are lighter areas here and there, luckily the off-white and skin-pink aren't a glaring contrast. The other mistake is the shirt's stain from when Han fell onto the floor after the carbonite melted away, they went with it even though the hair and sleeves aren't sculpted from this scene, and the stain's paint lacks subtlty so it looks more like puke and is bigger than it should be - it ends up hurting this section's overall rating quite a bit.

Accessories: 3.5/5
Han comes with 2 movie-themed accessories, a force-pike and the carbonite block, as well as one of the new thinner title stands and a randomly-packed hologram mini-statue. The pike is the one that Han uses when he accidentally sets off Boba Fett's jetpack, it's a good length, has ok details, is cast in gray metallic plastic and it's rubbery so it's a little warped in the tray and the lack of quality arm articulation makes 2-handed poses bend it around. Unfortunately, Han doesn't come with the blaster he used to shoot the sarlacc tenticle, he really should have.

The carbonite block is a new design, it's thicker and hollow so it can almost entirely accomodate the figure from the back, the tech details on the side are sculpted but not painted in; the block is front-heavy so it tips over if you try to stand it up without something inside weighing it down. The front is obviously a separate piece glued in, it doesn't sit quite flush but I suspect they did this to get maximum detail for the front so I forgive it; the sculpt seems remarkably accurate, but it's cast in translucent orange plastic and they tried to get a 2-for-1 by having Han's upper body not painted gray like the rest, suggesting it's melting - this looks good, but it's too scene-specific which I really don't like, it represents only a few seconds in the movie and isn't even his whole body. Also, compared to the figure, the block is 10% too small, the figure fits in the back but face-to-face with the front the height difference is obvious.

Overall: C+
This is a good figure with a few bad choices, and as such, at the new $7 pricepoint it's a bit of a dog - especially when not including a small, vital accessory like the skiff blaster that I keep harping on. The lack of articulation is a real disappointment, the vomit on the shirt is unfortunate, and the half-melting carbonite block that's too short and can't stand on its own hurt what otherwise would have been a good figure. If you take the price out of the equation, it's really more of a "B-minus".

Slicker
01-08-2006, 07:58 PM
I've been waiting for this figure for some time and am pleased that they finally released it. He's the only one though that I haven't bought from this line (his card was mangle all to hell) and I personally can't wait until I buy him. The one thing that I am disappointed about though is the block itself. I would've prefered if they had just re-released the block from the POTF2 Han.

Kidhuman
01-08-2006, 08:30 PM
I dont like the height difference, other than that it is good enough for me.

JediTricks
01-08-2006, 08:38 PM
I dont like the height difference, other than that it is good enough for me.
You mean the difference between Han himself and the block version of Han?

starwarsfan1
01-08-2006, 08:51 PM
I dont know about you guys but my carbonite block stands on its own just fine.

Kidhuman
01-08-2006, 10:18 PM
You mean the difference between Han himself and the block version of Han?

Yes, they should have made them the same height. When things are frozen, they expand, not the other way around.

TheDarthVader
01-09-2006, 03:00 PM
To me, Han is one of the best figures in the carkoon wave. I would definitely give him a B+ rating. I agree that the carbon block is too small.

B.
TDV

JediTricks
01-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Yes, they should have made them the same height. When things are frozen, they expand, not the other way around.
That would explain why Han's shirt sleeves shrink when he falls out of the block. :p Yeah, they really should have made it the right size.

SWfan1, your carbonite block doesn't tip forward when it's empty? I can't get mine to stand without leaning it or weighing it down, not even a little even for a second, I take my hand off and it immediately stars to fall, and it's not due to any sort of misshapen design or extra flash on the bottom neither.

I dunno if I could ever give it a B+, the articulation really bothers me. Maybe if they were able to have gotten the ball-jointed neck sculpting more subtle I would have forgiven the puke and the poor articulation though.

starwarsfan1
01-09-2006, 05:04 PM
I dont know why mine stands up without any weights or anything. Its strange. I guess I got lucky.:D

plasticfetish
01-09-2006, 09:24 PM
C+ is just about perfect for this one JT. I've had this thing on my desk for a while now, and I've been staring at it trying to decide if I was going to write a review. It's just not great or crappy enough to get me motivated though.

It's a good basic figure, and yeah the overall sculpt is nice, but some of the paint issues like the "barf" and the poorly done neck really hurt this thing. That, and the fact that the carbonite Han will not stand up on its own.

The carbonite block really needs to have a back on it of some sort to keep it from being front heavy. I would have loved it if the thing could have been battery powered -- push one of the detail bits on the side and it lights up. They could have made it so that the center part with Han pops out, and you can flip it from grey frozen Han to red glowing Han. That would have made it worth $7 to me.

I like it about 100 times more than the old carbonite Han though, so I'm more than willing to pay the price for this one. (It'd be nice if they reissued the skiff now.)

...and I really like these new stands. Maybe I'll try drilling a small hole in the bottom of my carbonite Han and using the stand with that.

Edit: For those that haven't seen it, there's photos of this one in the database now...
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4058

Devo
01-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Hate the balljoint neck and the articulation is too limiting. Also don't like the upward caveman gaze. But other than that its a decent replacement for the POTF2 one. The red glow effect on the carbonite block is quite effective although why they didn't carry it down into his legs is beyond me.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-27-2006, 01:16 PM
The red glow effect on the carbonite block is quite effective although why they didn't carry it down into his legs is beyond me.

It's thawing "in progress" ;)

DARKLORD_67
02-09-2006, 12:36 PM
About the only this this figure is good for, in my opinion, is fodder for me to create more customs!!!!

Yeah, I ADMIT IT. You got me again HASBRO!!!!

With a face sculpt / paint bordering on silly and the overly-tiny carbonite block, this figure left me a bit cold.

However the arms and pelvis/ legs sculpt was pretty effective. So I snatched up a bunch of this guy for custom work.

Another thing: At the rate these characters are SHRINKING, I wonder how long this line will STILL be considered 3.75" scale...

Stand this action figure up next to other previous Hasbro Han Solo and he comes off looking like a little cousin...

Devo
02-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Another thing: At the rate these characters are SHRINKING, I wonder how long this line will STILL be considered 3.75" scale...

Stand this action figure up next to other previous Hasbro Han Solo and he comes off looking like a little cousin...

True. And its strange because sometimes you get another figure amongst a wave of tiny figures who is giant. Like the Saga Hoth Luke - too big - he towers over the rebel soldier from that wave (granted so do most Leia figures!!) Whats going on at Hasbro?

JediTricks
02-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Saga Hoth Rebel Soldier is a midget, Saga Luke Hoth is exactly the same height as Luke Jabba's Palace who is a short figure because it's in proper scale. POTF2 figures are nearly all too tall, they're all around 4" instead of 3.75", so there's no sense of scale there. Han is average height and TSC Han Carbo is exactly 3.75" tall, though they should have made him about 2 millimeters taller because they didn't factor in his hair. Still, I don't think TSC Han Carbo is a midgee just because POTF2 Han Carbo is extra tall.

Devo
02-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Saga Hoth Rebel Soldier is a midget, Saga Luke Hoth is exactly the same height as Luke Jabba's Palace who is a short figure because it's in proper scale.

Really?? I didn't think my figures had been in the attic that long that I've totally forgotten who is what height and who is what size in relation to another figure. I can't wait to check this out.

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 03:51 PM
I am *very* sure about this. Hoth's shortest rebel:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=22343 http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=22885

And as for the others, I have Hoth Luke and Palace Luke right here on my desk.

Devo
02-10-2006, 07:35 PM
I am *very* sure about this. Hoth's shortest rebel:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=22343 http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=22885

And as for the others, I have Hoth Luke and Palace Luke right here on my desk.

Actually I needed no clarification on the Hoth Rebel Soldier, I just neglected to delete your referance to him when I was quoting you. I'm actually fairly certain I was among those to express my outrage at that figure. It was the two Lukes I wasn't sure about. I happen to have Jabbas palace Luke down from my attic - he's quote short - but my Hoth Luke is buried up there somewhere. I could have sworn he was POTF2 sized.

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Saga Hoth Luke and Palace Luke come eye-to-eye with each other, it's only the hat that adds a tiny bit of extra height on Hoth Luke. I have my Hoth Luke on top of a pile of CDs on my desk, he's hanging from the display made by his base and the wampa base combined, so I just reached over and put him next to the Palace Luke next to my keyboard.