PDA

View Full Version : TSC Princess Leia in Boushh disguise

JediTricks
01-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Back when ROTJ *first* came out, I desparately wanted 3 figures from the movie - Luke Jedi, saber-launching R2, and Leia as Boushh - but unfortunately finding these major figures proved very difficult. 13 years later, Kenner finally released a Leia Boushh figure that I could actually find, although the SOTE line figure was still not an easy find, and while it was a good figure, the face under the helmet wasn't much better than Monkey-face Leia. Flash forward 10 more years and finally Hasbro has released another Leia Boushh and anybody who says "it's just a rehash" needs a swift kick in the face... then wait 10 years and another kick in the face.

Packaging: 3.5/5
I like the look of this packaging from the front, it's too early to tell if the bubble will scuff easily the way the ROTS versions did, but for now it looks decent. The back clutters all its elements together and focuses heavily on the co-sells, the other figures in the wave. The bubble view is of Leia holding her thermal detonator and rifle/staff while standing in front of a photo of the carbonite block in the palace, and the helmet is way off to the left in its own part of the bubble. The tray has a cool feature in that the detonator is secured to the palm by having her left arm BEHIND the tray rather than in front; unfortunately, the rubbery rifle/staff accessory is bent as it passes through the tray and around Leia's hand.

Sculpt-Design: 4/5
The head is an odd thing, the facial likeness doesn't seem that much like Carrie Fisher at first but comparing the various lines it seems like they got it close, I suppose it's the shape of the eyes and mouth plus the paint, after a few minutes looking it really does look like her. The hair sculpting seems decent although the sideburn-like wisps are a bit thick, I like the pony-tail out the back (but it should be more rubbery). The head doesn't suffer badly from being ball-jointed, but it does sit too low on the neck. The costume has some good detail sculpting including the studs on the back of the gloves, the covers over the boots, and the cape & backpack tanks & bandolier belt that are a single separate (non-removable) piece; some of the tan elements seem like softer work but they were simpler textures so it's not too bad.

The belt and the left palm each have a hole to peg the thermal detonator into, that's a neat trick. Aside from the neck, the body shape is good except for the universal-jointed shoulders which look a little too obvious, but the build is definitely realistic and "action figure" rather than doll-like; the pose is natural and just right, the only pre-posing is her right arm which is bent to hold the rifle/staff. One thing though, Leia is very short, shorter than POTJ Bespin Leia even, which means she's *too* short.

Articulation: 4.5/5
This figure ties with VOTC Leia for the most articulation on a Leia figure at 12 p.o.a.: ball-jointed head, universal-jointed arms, cut-jointed elbows, standard wrists, waist, and hips, and universal knees. Leia's head can't look up and down too much, but can turn all the way to either side no problem. The left elbow articulation doesn't do much, it changes her arm from straight to bent about 10-degrees; the right elbow covers more territory due to the bend, but you can't straighten the arm to look natural. The skirt limits the hips to roughly 45-degrees but that's not too shabby. And even though she's slight and got tiny feet, she can stand on her own.

Paint-Deco: 4/5
The head's paint work is good but not outstanding, the eyes aren't quite the right shape and gazing upwards, the eyebrows are thin but not quite subtle enough, and the hair has 2 layers but is a little thick and sloppy; the paint around the wrap on the pony-tail is good though. The neck is painted a darker tone than the head's light color, and the ball joint is left brown, but this is barely noticable due to how hidden the neck is. The costume deco overall is pretty decent but again not outstanding, there should have been weathering on the tan stuff and there's not, only the pants got weathering. There are some very nice details though, the studs are individually painted, the belts and details have nice metallic work to them.

Accessories: 4.5/5
Besides the random-packed holo statue and movie title figure stand, Leia comes with 3 accessories: a thermal detonator, her rifle (or is it a staff?), and her helmet - which I'll get to last, mwa ha ha! The detonator is small, *really* small, it screams "you're gonna lose me! you're gonna lose me!"-small, so in order to keep it in her little hand it has a small peg which fits into a hole in her hand (the peg is a few millimeters too long, but I'm not brave enough to try to cut it down), it can also peg into her belt. The detonator is not quite round but it does have some decent detailing, and it's dark metallic plastic. Her weapon looks like a rifle - Kenner called it as much back in '96 - but has no grip so how do you use it? So, maybe it's a staff, in either regard the design is good for something with such few details, and it's also dark metallic, but it's one flaw is that it's very thin and rubbery, so it warps easily including in the packaging, but it does look great when she's holding it.

The helmet fits well but is about 25% too large because it's removable. The helmet's sculpting is very nice with fine detail work on the sides. The paint work is mostly quite good with several different base colors and details within, although the copper-green for the sides goes over its boundries I don't mind too much; the black visor slits and silver "mouth" are just right and they're the key to the look.

Overall: B+
Leia as Boushh was almost a forgotten figure but deserved a good update and this is it. There are some things which could be improved, and hopefully Hasbro will do a little better with the paint work by the end of the production run, but all in all it's very acceptable. The new $7 pricepoint does hurt the rating a little, but what hurts my pride is that this figure is so cool it makes me want to buy lamer figures like the Chewie in Chains from this Carkoon wave after I was sure I didn't want him. I guess that's the mark of a good figure, this Leia certainly is that.

Kidhuman
01-10-2006, 12:12 AM
This and Chewie are probably my favorites from the wave. I agree with the grade you gave it. The rifle/sstaff is similar to what Zam uses in AOTC to shoot the assasin droid, more of a sniper rifle so to speak. Leia/Boushh has always been one of my favorite characters and I just purchased a vintage one for two bucks and change on Ebay.

Slicker
01-10-2006, 01:02 PM
I liked the look of this figure the moment I saw it. Along with Han Carbonite I thought this figure was long overdue for a resculpt of sorts (although the SOTE one was very good...for its time) I like the fact that the detonator is removable and although the helmet is too big it's not overly gigantic.

starwarsfan1
01-10-2006, 05:49 PM
I would give it an A-. It is way better then the older figure. I wish her hair didn't stick out of the back of the helmet though. It looks weird.

JediTricks
01-10-2006, 10:40 PM
The rifle/sstaff is similar to what Zam uses in AOTC to shoot the assasin droid, more of a sniper rifle so to speak. I dunno about that, Zam's gun is a traditional rifle shape, Boushh's doesn't have any grip shape at all.

Along with Han Carbonite I thought this figure was long overdue for a resculpt of sorts (although the SOTE one was very good...for its time)Well, they came out at exactly the same time, same wave, same case, so it does make sense. Bib was a year after them, and was repainted recently, but he needed it too.

I wish her hair didn't stick out of the back of the helmet though. It looks weird.That's how it was in the movie, if you look carefully.

plasticfetish
01-16-2006, 07:07 AM
For those that haven't seen this figure (for whatever reason), there's now a full set of photos in the database...

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4059

...which means that yes I did buy this one ;) and yeah, I think it deserves a B+ also. It's above average but not perfect.

(Do letter grades... B+, C, A, etc. make sense to people outside of the US?)

Kidhuman
01-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Yes they do.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-16-2006, 03:19 PM
It's funny, I have this figure yet I still love looking at pictures of it. That goes with most figures I like...there's nothing like seeing some really good close ups of nice looking figures hehe :twisted:

Slicker
01-16-2006, 03:23 PM
You are indeed evil 'Ox.

I like the look of the closeups. It's definitely one of the better resculpts that Hasbro has done.

plasticfetish
01-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Yeah... even though I'm just fine with the Leia Boushh that I already have, I had to give in and get this one because of that. It may be a bit redundant, but it's still a nice toy. I think that's the slogan they're using for the whole "Saga Collection" line BTW. ;)

Deoxyribonucleic
01-16-2006, 03:56 PM
"COLLECT THESE AND OTHER AWESOME CHARACTERS!"

That's what the back says HAHA...they said "AWESOME" Cool that word is coming back into it's "awesomeness" :thumbsup:

I'm so pleased by this figure though! Boussh has always been one of my very favorite characters and the only complaint I have about this figure is that they didn't give her a neck. Otherwise she's perfect to me.

plasticfetish
01-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Now I ask you, who's more "awesome" than Bib Fortuna? All the kids are talking about him. Maybe if Johnny Knoxville plays him in the new TV show they will. "New from Hasbro: extreme fun Bib Fortuna with AWESOME skateboard stunt action!" The whole Jabbas palace thing can be done using all of those guys from the Jack*** show. Now THAT'S gonna be awesome!

JediTricks
01-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Well, I would hope anybody who can read English can understand A, B, C, D, F, those seem fairly straightforward if you know the alphabet. As for the plus and minus, hopefully those seem straightforward too (if you like, I can start using "greater than" > or "lesser than" < symbols :p).

Deoxyribonucleic
01-16-2006, 04:44 PM
"New from Hasbro: extreme fun Bib Fortuna with AWESOME skateboard stunt action!" The whole Jabbas palace thing can be done using all of those guys from the Jack*** show. Now THAT'S gonna be awesome!

lol lol lol lol :thumbsup: lol lol lol lol

"extreme fun bib fortuna"...you are too much PF!

jedibear
01-18-2006, 11:01 PM
...you hit all the major points on this one.

I think it's a worthy upgrade...just a few issues (most of which have been mentioned already)...the oversized helmet (necessary to be a functioning one I suppose)...the mutton-chop sideburns, er, hair wisps, uh, whatever...look a little odd as does the "no neck".
I like the redesign of the cape, incorporating it into the bandolier so it doesn't fall off so easily as it does on the earlier version.
Yes, she seems a little too slight in stature, but I appreciate Hasbro's attempt at getting the scale right between characters.
The misspelled character-name stand made me chuckle... I'm grateful for the stand, but I wish they would go back to ( and expand) the idea of character/enviroment/planet specific stands for the figures. For display purposes they look great and it can't be that big a deal to generate say 6 or 8 stands of different kinds..aka sand ,snow, forest, rock, ship deck, street, swamp and others. They did it for ROTS and part of the AOTC/saga collection....
But I digress...
Leia deserves her B+....

Devo
01-25-2006, 05:46 PM
On the one hand I agree that her neck is too non-existant...yet on the other...if you look at where her shoulders are and how high the collar of her outfit is, it might be just about anatomically accurate.

JediTricks
01-26-2006, 09:58 PM
I compared it to photos, her helmetless head does sit higher up above the collar, it's just too short.

plasticfetish
01-26-2006, 10:40 PM
I compared it to photosYou know... I've been thinking about posting picks in the DB of the figures in a side-by-side with a still from the movie. Think something like that might be good? (Heck, I think I'll try it with this one and see.)

Devo
01-27-2006, 12:16 PM
yeah y'know what I retract what I said earlier. She just looks wierd. And I hate the upward gaze it makes her look neanderthalish, likewise on the Han figure. Great with the helmet on though.

JediTricks
01-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Yeah, dunno what the eyes on those 2 are doing, someone in the paint dept should explain that to us, 1 customer at a time.

plasticfetish
01-29-2006, 07:14 PM
OK. It's a "go" on those side-by-side images, so...

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=16098&cat=4059
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=16099&cat=4059
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=16100&cat=4059

First thing I noticed is that the ponytail is a mistake, and her neck does seem too short. Other than that, no major complaints here.

Slicker
01-29-2006, 07:22 PM
I actually like the addition of the ponytail to the figure. It gives it the room to be in two scenes with one figure. Yes, it looks weird with the helmet on but then again it fits perfectly when the helmet is off so deal with it.

BTW, I like the side-by-side comparison shots.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
01-29-2006, 07:38 PM
So in shot 3, you can see the top of the ponytail, but where's the rest? It doesn't seem to be in the costume, is it under the backpack tanks?

plasticfetish
01-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Yeah JT, as best I can tell, her hair is tucked under her clothes the whole time. So... :ermm:

-----

I agree Slicker, it doesn't hurt the look of the figure, it's just not exactly accurate. It doesn't hurt the play value at all either, so on the whole I do like this toy.

It's just that once again I really wonder what the heck Hasbro's using as reference when they do some of this stuff. I mean, I can pull an image up with my $20 TV card and see that there's no ponytail there.

(Thanks BTW... not sure why I didn't think to do this before.)

Devo
01-30-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm sure its been debated over before but why is it that Jabba isn't suspicious of the fact that Chewbacca has full use of his arms and legs when this miniscule bounty hunter brings him in? If Jabba thinks a chain around his neck is enough to subdue Chewbacca then why does he refer to him as 'mighty'?

The lack of neck can sorta be tackled if you lift the head a bit off of the balljoint - it reveals more of the neck which is otherwise obscured behind Leia's face. Unfortunately this also exposes the brown ball part of the joint :mad: (ENOUGH WITH THE BALL-JOINTED HEADS FOR **** SAKE!!!)

That side-by side shot of the helmetless face dulled my impression of the likeness I must say. Between the thick sideburns, the thick eyebrows and upward neanderthal stare it doesn't do Carrie any justice. I realise its hard to do in this scale but they've done better on older figures - the POTJ era had two decent Leia likenesses with Bespin Escape and the 25th anniversary swing to freedom set....also worth pointing out is that neither of those were blighted with balljointed necks.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-30-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm sure its been debated over before but why is it that Jabba isn't suspicious of the fact that Chewbacca has full use of his arms and legs when this miniscule bounty hunter brings him in? If Jabba thinks a chain around his neck is enough to subdue Chewbacca then why does he refer to him as 'mighty'?

I always believed that Jabba knew all along what was going on but played along with the charade to get some entertainment value out of it, fully comforted in knowing that he would capture them all in the end.

The only thing that bothers me about this figure, and not so much that I think about it when I'm doing other stuff, is the lack of neck, but you are right devo, I raised the head up and it looks much better. Just not so good when the helmet is off. Ah well though, it's still a wonderful addition to my collection.

DARKLORD_67
02-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Arrrrrrrrrrghhhhhh!!!!!!

Princess Leia: Boushh Disguise. THIS is a frustrating one for me!!!!!!

The advance photos had me excited. The final production figure sucks!! Plain and simple!

First off, while she is admittedly a BIG improvment over all previous versions of Boushh, she ALSO has (arguably) the worst Leia (Carrie Fisher) likeness sculpt yet from Hasbro. Secondly, that ball-jointed head (I hate that for women), mounted on such a short post, makes her look like a no-neck FOOTBAL PLAYER. Thirdly, the braid in the back... in a word... Why? Fourth, all of her ammunition belts are FAR too thick, and fifth, the back cape sculpted onto the belt just doesn't work for me. Sixth, HER legs are too short resulting in yet ANOTHER height reduction for Leia as an action figure!!!!!!!!!! This figure is SHORTER than VOTC Leia. They should be the same height!!!!!!! Seventh, we've got yet ANOTHER action figure accessory made of chewing gum that won't hold its own shape.

On the PLUS side, I like the new separate skirt feature. The general body sculpt of the figure is quite nice when you undress it of all the superfluous belt/cape crap. VERY CLEAN. Love it!!!

Due to this figure's nice body sculpt, it is an EXCELLENT starting point for a custom Boushh Leia.

So the "frustrating" part here for me is that although I think generally speaking this is NOT a strong figure, I had to buy TWO (2) of them in order to create my upcoming custom improvement!!! Arrrrrrrrggghhh

Just on principle, I hate giving HAsbro my money on a product that I think falls short!! I already give them TONS of cash for their AWESOME stuff (like the AT-AT Driver)!!:mad: :mad: