PDA

View Full Version : Who else is losing interest?

El Chuxter
01-12-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm finding it hard to care about SW figures anymore. We have an entire line now that's ridiculously overpriced and, for the most part, not as well produced as figures from two or three years ago who were a full $2 less at many stores.

Resculpt Bib, resculpt Han, resculpt Leia. None really improving that much on the originals despite the higher level of quality possible with figures now as compared to a decade ago when the originals came out. Repaint Barada, repaint Boba, Chewie with a metal chain. Whoopee-doo.

I found the Hoth figures earlier and got Derlin, Gonk, Veers, and the Snowtrooper. It slipped my mind that AT-AT Driver was a new sculpt, since they're mixing old figures with resculpts that look more or less the same as earlier versions. I went back to get him when I realized I screwed up. There were none left, and you know what? I really didn't care. If I find him, I find him. If not, oh well.

Coming on the heels of an enormous line of generally poor-quality ROTS figures, this doesn't bode well.

To make things worse, after renewing my Hyperspace membership after hearing all the hype about great things in store, I've got nothing other than the same old magazine and a package yesterday that contained several advertising materials and a broken Mon Cal mini-figure. Yeesh. I'm losing interest in SW altogether. Still a great film series, but Hasbro isn't going to make quality merchandise anytime soon, no matter how much we beg, and Lucasfilm doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for fans. (I really get the impression that they see us as geeks living in our parents' basements and taking whatever crap they give us.)

I'm very, very seriously considering dropping SW collecting, which would probably mean I'd drop the other lines I collect soon after. The fun factor is just dropping really quickly.

JEDIpartner
01-12-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm just losing interest because of the reissues and the revisited/rescultped figures. Yeah, the resculpts are nice but, I really can't be turning all these figures over in my collection. There's a whole life out there to live. I am picking and choosing and just ordering the ones I want off the internet. I can't be bothered to look or get that excited. There's just too much.

Slicker
01-12-2006, 02:51 PM
You know what? I am unfortunately falling in right behind you. Don't get me wrong I like buying these and get excited when I see something new but for the most part I buy them because I feel that if I stop the past 10 years worth of collecting will have been a waste of time. I need very few things from the past 10 years and up until about 1 year ago I would actively hunt to find them for a cheap price on eBay. Now I can't recall the last time I searched for them and honestly I can't even recall what all of them are right now off the top of my head. I really hope it gets better before it gets worse.

Devo
01-12-2006, 02:57 PM
$6.99 retail in the US vs $15.00 equivalent in Ireland. Again - pricewise you guys have nothing to complain about. Unless they use this kind of European example as a benchmark to move towards in America as the years go on..assuming figures are still being made in a few years - which is the question you're asking, would anyone care if they weren't.

My answer is no. If the line stops I'll have been done a huge favour (look at what I pay per figure for one thing). It'll be an easy way for me to reset my priorities in life if rather than having to choose to stop collecting there would actually be nothing out there to collect anymore. However I would require this to happen because I do still love these toys and am therefore disinclined to stop while they're still being made. So on that score I am not the same as you are. I think 2006 is shaping up great in terms of figures, I think the resculpts were necessary and I am almost as excited about them as I am about the new characters. I think the cardbacks are some of the most attractive we've ever seen and are even incentive enough for me to buy that crap Yoda in the Geonosis wave (:rolleyes: I know I know). And I disagree with you on your statement about the ROTS line - I think 'generally' they were good. Inaccuracies and action features aside it actually saw some of the best figures ever produced (step forward Count Dooku). Some crap certainly but for some reason I've been left with a positive retrospective on this line overall.

All things considered though I envy you of your current disillusionment because it seems to have that vital element which I lacked during 2 phases of disillusionment that I experienced - the element of no longer caring about the figures. If I'd had that I'd have stopped mid-way through the original saga line which is when I first started to contemplate how much time, money and thought these things take up in my life.

jedi master sal
01-12-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm not losing interest. Though I am refocusing how and what I collect. You guys might have noticed the poll I created (That JT put up) about "How much will you spend in 2006 on SW stuff?"

I did that for a few reasons. One, it got me to put down on paper how much I was spending. It was way to much and I realized I could cut out or not collect some of the line in 2006. Two, market research for Hasrbo, should they decide to listen. Three, give you guys an opportunity to do the same as I did. That is "face your demons" so to speak and at least fess up to yourselves about how much you really spend.

I know for me it worked, because I'm already planning on spending almost $2000 less than last year. I'm still in the $4K range, but that's better than $6K. I'm certain that 2007 is going to see a dramatic slow down in collecting for everyone. Once the toys are done or are to a point where they are almost done, I'm switching to making my dioramas. Many of you have heard about those plans and I've outlined them here quite a few times. I can't even begin to think about building them (though the plans for them are drawn and ready to go), until I have the cashflow to buy the building materials for them.

I can't ever say I was a completist. Near complete at once. Up until OTC I wasn't even a carded collector, but did so for OTC and ROTS. I'm not doing that for TSC.

I too am tired of the repacks. I understand why, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or buy them. I made a decision not to buy any of those horrid motorcycles. I'm passing on the Titanium Forged figures. Only getting a Transformer here or there. Stopped collecting Jedi Force and Force Battlers (or whatever the heck those blocky/chunky figs are called). Not buying 2 of every Galactic Heros (with some rare exceptions). All-in-all, I gave myself a wake-up call to my spending habits.

SW will always remain dear to my heart. Collecting it won't. Heck, when I die, this isn't going to be a cash cow for whomever gets my collection then. It's very doubtful that the modern stuff is going to see a marked appreciation in value. Besides, I never got into collecting SW for value. I did so because I loved the toys as a kid and wanted to recapture some of that youth, then it slowly led me to become a collector.

Okay, I've drolled on long enough.

next...

El Chuxter
01-12-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm not about to stop collecting. Don't get me wrong. There's a part of me that realizes how stupid I feel if I stop collecting and decide later on to pick up again. But it's easier and easier to pass on individual figures.

I almost did a backflip when I saw Bren Derlin (finally!) and the Gonk Droid. And Veers is absolutely a necessary resculpt. But how many AT-AT Drivers and Snowtroopers do we need? Yes, the Snowtrooper is an old sculpt, which shows my weakness in buying an army builder I don't need. But AT-AT Driver? I have two already, both different sculpts, and all the guy does is sit in a cockpit? Why no Yarna d'al Gargan instead of a new Bib Fortuna who still has the moronic slack-jawed expression as the 1997 one?

For the ROTS line, there were some truly stellar figures. Most of the Jedi figures were masterpieces, and the Royal Guard may be the best SW figure ever. But most were only "as good" as figures we could buy a couple of years ago, and many key characters (Grievous, Mace, etc) still don't have decent action figures. Add to that the fact that we were bombarded with a year's worth of toys in one day, not counting an additional year or so worth throughout the rest of 2005, and it's tough to not feel burned out.

While I'm on the subject of figures from a couple of years ago, all the major toy lines I've collected have gone downhill. Masters of the Universe is gone. Marvel has moved from figures that consistently topped all previous Marvel Legends figures (Beast, Gambit) to endless resculpts, characters who are practically unknown or who no one cares about, or (in the case of Vengeance) both. And don't get me started on how nothing has even come close to the 20th anniversary Prime.

I'm not ready to give up. . . yet. But with Lucasfilm and the toy manufacturers slapping us in the face repeatedly, it's less fun than it was a few years ago.

Kidhuman
01-12-2006, 03:58 PM
I wouldnt say losing interest, but re4-focusing, not getting repacks and such. I will get them if they were not offered as singles, but most of them I will pass on.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-12-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm not losing interest. I'll still buy them as long as they make them - provided, of course, that they're new or appealing to me.

James Boba Fettfield
01-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Lost interest in the toys a long while ago. I have a few of the Ep.3 and beyond stuff, but don't collect like I used to. Maybe it's because I have so much of the property.

Or maybe I have replaced collecting SW with other properties. Been seriously looking at other properties (came real close to dropping $75 on Resident Evil 4 figures yesterday).

But I'm past the losing interest phase. The toys just aren't up to my standards and have been replaced. And the joy, can't say I have experienced that lately, though a recent gift of Chad Johnson and Jeremy Shockey figures did make me smile.

Battle Droid
01-12-2006, 04:30 PM
I am, exspecially when I can't find one single Saga Collection figure.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-12-2006, 04:36 PM
I have not lost interest. I recently started collecting the MR FX stuff and GG busts and bust-ups plus I always look forward to new sculpts from Hasbro of OT characters either rehash characters (not rehash sculpts) or characters made for the first time. I am however totally disinterested in figures from the PT, except for a few exceptional characters such as Aayla Secura. So I guess I could say I've lost interest in the PT, especially from ep 1 and 2 (I'd like to pretend these horrible films were never made) as I won't be collectiong any of the new SAGA figs from these movies. As for the OT, I'll always be interested! :thumbsup:

Darth Cruel
01-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Not me. Uh-Uh. Nope. Not possible. This little collection and I have been through a lot.

And besides...if I quit now...I am just proving everyone close to me to be right.

pug205
01-12-2006, 06:22 PM
There is no doubt the joy has gone some what, but havent given up just yet. The sculpts are looking better then ever and the packaging is fantastic, but there arent many new characters i really need, just re-sculpts. I would love to have all my figures on OTC or TSC cards, so any good figures that replace the old POTF2, SAGA, POTJ card versions im getting, but not vaders, lukes, han etc as the 12 VOTC are enough for me. So far Im getting about 50% of each OT wave (no PT for me). But the plan is to reduce my collection to a best of the best "best figure on best style card".
I give all my old carded figures every year to charities for christmas gifts to kids that have no toys. (so at least someone will open and play with them at last :D )

decadentdave
01-12-2006, 06:25 PM
I am losing interest in Hasbro products but I am concentrating on more "grown up" lines from Sideshow and Master Replicas now. I still pick up the occassional figure if it is a decent sculpt or a character that has not been made before but lines like Galactic Heroes, Force Battlers, Choppers, Attactix, Unleashed Battle Packs, etc. are too juvenile for my interests and my wallet. I am collecting the Elite stuff now and since quality items are at a premium I have no money to waste on cheap plastic junk made by Hasbro any longer.

maatu
01-12-2006, 06:30 PM
for me it's weird, i was thrilled about the new sculpts of han solo and leia in boussh disguise. I bought them and opened them and there was a major feeling that i was let down. han looks ok, no articulation. leia is just midget piece of plastic. so i was going to stop and just do the sideshow toys 12 inch line and back away.today i was at target and i found a han solo with han solo hologram.the figure looked totally different then the one i opened. the face sculpt is different. it's weird. But i am just going to go after certain characters and be very selective this year on the figures.i don't need another re-sculpt of a chewbacca figure that uscked in the first place when it was sold.
I mean if hasbro can keep making different gi-joe characters with different sculpts and molds then what's the deal with hasbro starwars. i know george lucas is part of it. But come on.

Turbowars
01-12-2006, 07:19 PM
I think as long as there's SW 3 3/4 product, I will probably buy them. Once Hasbro stops that's it. SS and GG gets a ton of $ from me too, so no I think it's safe to say I'm still interested.

BUT, lets say I was single again and was out hitting clubs (I wish) I know I wouldn't be collecting any of this stuff. I have so many other interests like my Sport Truck, Gas RC Cars and the ladies I wouldn't have time for this kid stuff.

I think all this has to do with whats happening in your life and how old you are. If I was in High school in 95 I wouldn't have even know the line was around and even if I did I wouldn't have a collection like I do. Funny where life takes you and how simple decisions in everyday life can really change your life. :)

Mad Slanted Powers
01-12-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm actually pretty excited about the figures coming out this year. Lots of figures we haven't seen before, some decent looking resculpts and some army builders. There are some repacks that I will probably skip though.

Besides, I never got into collecting SW for value. I did so because I loved the toys as a kid and wanted to recapture some of that youth, then it slowly led me to become a collector.

That's sort of how it was for me. As a kid, I had the first 21 vintage figures and 5 vintage ESB figures before I stopped. When I started working at Wal-Mart in 1996, I saw all the POTF2 figures and it sort of renewed my interest. So many figures that I never had as a kid. At the time, I couldn't really afford to start collecting. Not until Episode I did I start collecting, and I was going to just collect the new figures because I didn't think I'd be able to find all the POTF2 figures I had missed. However, I found a specialty store that had a bunch of them, and between that, KB and Brian's Toys, I got caught up. At first, I kept most of the figures carded with the exception of duplicates (repacks and army builders). My plan was that I would eventually open them all, and in the last year or so, I've opened quite a few.

Last night, I was looking through a lot of my carded figures. There are a lot of them that are kind of crappy, and I have some of the same figures on different cards. So, this year my goal is to try to avoid accumulating more of such figures. The nice packaging on the new ones might make it difficult to resist, but hopefully I can at least skip a few like the aforementioned crap Geonosis Yoda.

Blue2th
01-12-2006, 07:27 PM
I still have to have every carded Saga, and at least one of every new figure loose. I will buy 12'' Star Wars Sideshow figures, and a couple of the 1/4 line. I don't buy any of the other Hasbro Star Wars stuff except Titanium. I came this far, I won't quit now.

zachatack
01-12-2006, 07:51 PM
I have a completely different scenario. I am actually just starting the collection AGAIN after liquidating my collection years ago. But now that I am financially back on track and have a little $ to spend, I decided to come back to it...slowly. For example, I am only collecting Jabba's Palace. This choice was obvious seeing the new figures for the year. But I love the newer sculpts compared to the older ones. I think part of the cynicism on this board is that you've invested so much $ only to have the same characters come back. And yeah, if I still had my old stuff, I'd be a little ****ed too. It should really come down to "DO I REALLY NEED THIS?" If you are happy with the sculpts you have already, then don't buy them. If you like the newer sculpts better, buy the new and sell the old. It's not going to make you more or less a collector if you don't have everything Hasbro offers.

So to answer the original question. The new line hasn't made me lose interest. It got me back to GAIN interest.

Sentinel18725
01-12-2006, 09:04 PM
For me, I am approaching a saturation as well. However, everytime I find something new, it revigirates my interest in the line.

However, I am finding that my interest is starting to drift towards nicer things and especially information on the Star Wars movies, collecting, etc.

Hope things get better soon......let's see what ToyFair has to bring out!

figrin bran
01-13-2006, 12:44 AM
as long as there are 3 3/4" figures, i will buy them even if i'm running out of space! i've even started branching out to collecting GG so i think it's safe to say that my collecting days aren't numbered in the least.

Kidhuman
01-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Well, finding the HOth wave today showed me I wasnt losing interest. I ripped them open case fresh about 2 hours ago. I only got Derlin, Gonk, Veers and the AT-AT driver. Is R2-D2 a new sculpt or rehash and does he have sensorscope? I really didnt pay attention just passed him over with the stormie and Rieekan

El Chuxter
01-13-2006, 12:52 AM
Okay, maybe "losing interest" isn't as accurate a term as I was looking for. "Losing faith in Hasbro" may be more to the point. When I got home, I was giddy about Gonk and Derlin, but still am not losing sleep over missing the AT-AT Driver. I'm just concerned with the lackluster way the line is being handled that it doesn't have until 2018, and our last year or two of these figures is going to be completely blown on Vader repaints and inferior resculpts of figures they've already done three or four times.

And an Arcona. I guess he makes up for a lot of this.

But no matter how nice a new Momaw Nadon looks, it's still Momaw Nadon! This is the third one!! Why not set him aside for a few more years and give us a Bom Vimdin to go with our Hem Dazon?

Of course, when Teek wins this Toyfare poll (or even if Yarna wins), I'll probably be a lot more excited than I am right now.

decadentdave
01-13-2006, 12:59 AM
But no matter how nice a new Momaw Nadon looks, it's still Momaw Nadon! This is the third one!! Why not set him aside for a few more years and give us a Bom Vimdin to go with our Hem Dazon?

Bom Vimdin to go with Hem Dazon... is that a drink, Chuxter?

Figrin Bran, sounds like you really need to check out my thread here:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=30812

jjreason
01-13-2006, 03:23 AM
My interest has waned, certainly, but isn't lost. I'm really looking forward to the Hoth stuff - but sadly, that will likely be the high point of my 2006 figure year. There is still stuff I'm missing from ROTS, but I've come to a point where I can deal with it a lot better than I could a few years ago.

I don't think I'll stop until they stop making figures, but it's going to be harder and harder for them to convince me to buy exclusives - especially if they're going to make me jump through hoops to do it. They're barely (if ever) worth the hassle. No, Chux, not that Hassel.........

Darth Cruel
01-13-2006, 05:25 AM
Well, finding the HOth wave today showed me I wasnt losing interest. I ripped them open case fresh about 2 hours ago. I only got Derlin, Gonk, Veers and the AT-AT driver. Is R2-D2 a new sculpt or rehash and does he have sensorscope? I really didnt pay attention just passed him over with the stormie and Rieekan

Sensorscope and some cool accessories. Containers you might see lying around the floor at Echo Base and what appears to be the heater he overheated Leia's room with. The only thing I don't like about this figure is the non-retracting third leg. But we all know that that is the sacrifice for things like launching lightsabers, sensorscopes, and electronics on the astromech droids. Maybe some day the tech will be there to allow both.

Kidhuman
01-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Thanks, I went back for R2 today.

jedi master sal
01-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Not me. Uh-Uh. Nope. Not possible. This little collection and I have been through a lot.

And besides...if I quit now...I am just proving everyone close to me to be right.

Proving them right of what? You don't need to potentially put yourself in the poor house just to prove a point. If you're just collecting at this point, to prove a point, then it's time to "go home and rethink you're life."

Seriously though, I could give a hoot about what others think about my collection or how and what I collect. Your collection is partially an expression of you. But should you decide to quick collecting, that doesn't diminish your love for Star Wars. It just makes a statement that you've moved on past the toys.

That's not a bad thing at all.

I don't think I'll stop until they stop making figures, but it's going to be harder and harder for them to convince me to buy exclusives - especially if they're going to make me jump through hoops to do it. They're barely (if ever) worth the hassle.

Ah, I have to completely agree there. I'm SO tired of the exclusive crap. The overpriced BS that Target pulls with theirs. It's always such a pleasure to get the ones from TRU because they are free. Well with a high enough purchase, but that's never usually a problem with me as I'll jsut buy more army builders. ANd they always seems to have enough of the exclusive that you don't feel complelled to be there at 6am, having to take a crap and not being able to for fear that people won't let you back in line...Happened to me at Target for the Lava Vader. I had to writhe in pain until 8:15, when I finally bought the figs and dropped my load, ha ha...okay maybe too much info there, but it was just to prove a point that we can do some crazy things to get the exclusives. I'm NOT going through that or anything remotely close to that again. It's one reason why I'm not buying the Sideshow stuff. That stuff looks phenomanal, but not at the price and not for the frustration of trying to get the exclusive and having the server crash...

In the eternal words of a wise Jedi Master, "I'm getting to old for this type of thing."

-Sal

vader68
01-13-2006, 11:19 AM
I have been collecting Star Wars since the 70's, when I was a kid. I had stopped after ESB, because I was getting to old and I out grew the toy phase. I started up again in '95, and grabbed everything I could get my hands on. After TPM came out,and the over saturation of merchandise, I cooled off again and only bought what I truly wanted not just everything that came out. Since then I have bought sporadically, mostly clones. I have found that I have lost interest because it is too difficult to find anything, and I don't have the time to waste to drive all over to find just 1 or 2 figures. Now with prices going up I am definately not buying much anymore. I think the last time I bought a figure was in November. I have not seen anything new around here since, but I am also not looking as hard. If I am at Walmart or Target I look, but never find anything. I really don't care how much they come out with this year, I am just not interested anymore. Not to mention how many different varieties of Darth Vadar, anakin, or Obi wan do we need? I think that is also part of why people are losing interest, because it is just getting ridiculous.

TheDarthVader
01-13-2006, 11:38 AM
I am still going to collect figures and some ships. I agree that the "faith in hasbro" is shrinking, but these new saga figures look great! Yes, they shouldn't have repacked rieekan. Yes, I would have loved Yarna instead of another bib. Why do they do it? I wish I knew. The AOTC saga wave looks great except for a couple of figures. The cantina wave may be my most anticipated wave for the start of the new year! I am glad that Hasbro finally listened to us and released the "perfect" R5-D4.

B.
TDV

Rogue II
01-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Okay, maybe "losing interest" isn't as accurate a term as I was looking for. "Losing faith in Hasbro" may be more to the point.

Unlike most of you, I don't collect prequel toys, so my intrest is just spinning back up. The only ROTS figures I bought were C-3PO, Emperor, Tarkin, Red Royal Guard, and 2 of the astromech droids. Taking the movie years off was hard, but there was very little I wanted. I bought some of the Star Wars mini figures to hold me over until the OT 3.75" started coming back out. The first wave of Saga 2 figures were a bit dissapointing, but I'm looking forward to finding the Hoth and other OT waves.

I am losing faith in Hasbro. They make strange descisions on which figures they make and then decisions on accessories (like the half and half carbonite block), and certain points of articulation don't make sense. For example, the Saga Djas Puhr. A character who was in the movie for 3 seconds, and all he did was sit at a table. Did he have knee articulaiton? nope. Fast Forward to Holo Jedi Luke...in the movie, the hologram of Luke just stood there and delivered a message to Jabba. Just stood there...and the figure had all sorts of articulation. But, Hasbro does just enough to give me some hope, like the R5-D4, Major Derlin, Veers w/ removeable armor, and more of the background cantina characters. We will see what happens with that Toyfare poll. I'm hoping a Yarna figure comes out of it.

JediTricks
01-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Just the opposite for me, with a renewed focus on the Original Trilogy and a wealth of other fun collectible lines, I think things are coming up a bit. The $7 pricetag sucketh mightily, no doubt, but that only makes it easier for me to not buy stuff I was on the fence about, and so far the line has been selling well enough that I haven't had a chance to even reconsider getting stuff like Chewie in Chains (I had him in my hand once, decided he was a "no go" fig, then got Leia Boushh and it changed my mind on Chewie).

As for Hasbro themselves, Han's articulation may be crap, but his likeness is *way* better than ever before and that's a darn good start. Leia Boushh is almost perfect. Bib is a bit of a disappointment but he's definitely upgraded in accuracy (Butt-head face or no). And when Hasbro showed that Tatooine wave, that was downright exciting to me.

By the way, someone proposed a poll like this which will be going up either next Monday or the one after.

AmanaMatt
01-13-2006, 09:14 PM
From my POV, may of us - myself included - have become so used to seeing articulation is certain figures that we have come to expect VOTC level articulation in every fig - not necessary to me, as long as the detail is there.

Case in point, I love the new Bib - due to his awsome likeness...what point would super articulation have been for him, really? He just stood there talking most of the time!

evenflow
01-13-2006, 11:21 PM
I am still buying the new figures, passing on all the repaints. I am not as excited as i once was, that i can admit. I am enjoying the Sideshow line though. Its a bit annoying, but still going well so far. I hope they just dont look much different from the prototypes.

JediTricks
01-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Bib Fortuna can't move his arms at the shoulder, that's a *problem*. And if they wanted a kooky face, they shoulda included a seprate head. That would have made a cool figure actually.

mikey1974
01-14-2006, 07:24 AM
i don't know if i'd say i'm losing complete interest.....but i really have pretty much every version of the main characters out already,so it's going to take one hell of a new figure to get me to buy more ....for instance,i own 7 vader figures: ROTS,operating table deluxe,death star clash,VOTC,500th,evolutions,and emperor's wrath......when they're only releasing figures i already own on the cards,i have no reason to get them....however,secondary characters like derlin,veers,riekaan,cody,clone troopers,etc. i'll be all over....

Darth Cruel
01-14-2006, 08:18 AM
From my POV, may of us - myself included - have become so used to seeing articulation is certain figures that we have come to expect VOTC level articulation in every fig - not necessary to me, as long as the detail is there.

Case in point, I love the new Bib - due to his awsome likeness...what point would super articulation have been for him, really? He just stood there talking most of the time!

Articulation is a lot like horsepower. Sometimes it's necessary. Sometimes it's not. But even when it's not, it sure is nice to know it's there.

sith_killer_99
01-14-2006, 12:20 PM
But how many AT-AT Drivers and Snowtroopers do we need?

Blasphemy! Have you even looked at this thing close up, loose? This is one of my favorite new figures. It was needed IMO. Maybe it wasn't at the top of the list, but the new one is worlds apart from the POTF2 version, it's like comparing the Saga Royal Guard to the ROTS Royal Guard, yes, it's that good! Besides, the AT-AT Driver was one of the hardest figures to find in the POTF2 line. I am talking "overall". He was only released on the FF card as part of the Fan Club 4, or with the very expensive AT-AT Walker.

I plan on buying about a dozen of the new ones.:love:

Yes, the Snowtrooper is an old sculpt, which shows my weakness in buying an army builder I don't need.

I have to agree with you here, we really didn't need this, or at least if Hasbro was going to crank out another one they should have done a better job, more articulation, etc.

But AT-AT Driver? I have two already, both different sculpts, and all the guy does is sit in a cockpit?

Different sculpts? I was under the impression that the AT-AT Driver from the AT-AT Walker and the AT-AT Driver released on the limited edition FF card were in fact the same.

As far a collecting goes, my enthusiasim has diminished somewhat, but that happenes from time to time. I remember how much I loathed the first SAGA line. Yet my all time favorite line thus far has been the OTC line, so it really can change on a dime.

For me it's a complex issue. I am a carded collector, what's more I also collect some of the foreign (Non-US) carded figures. It all depends on the packaging. With Saga, I didn't like the cards very well, so I went ahead a pushed through with collecting just the US carded figures. I also bought a few figures that I really liked for opening. As a whole, it was a very depressing time to collect for me. I think this is why I ended up getting into collecting Gentle Giants, Kotobukiya, etc. while the Saga line was out.

Then came the OTC line, I loved the design of the cards, packaging etc. Yes, there were a lot of re-issues in the line. However, I really like the look of them, so I ended up buying everything I could get my hands on. The Canadian packaging is AWESOME, so I ended up buying all the figures on Canadian cards as well. I bought all the ships, including the exclusives (X-Wing vs TIE, Millenium Falcon with figures, etc). I bought the VOTC and for the first time ever I bought the 12 inch figures. I literally bought everything...well except those stupid sabers, a man's gotta have his limits.;)

As far as re-issues go, it's a double edged sword. On the one hand we get weak re-issues like Obi-Wan, Anakin, etc. On the other hand we get a chance to buy more army builders TIE Pilots, Stormtroopers, Scout Troopers, etc. This keeps me from resorting to the secondary market to build my army.:love:

With the new Saga line, I am less thrilled with the packaging. I will only buy the US carded figures. I will buy one of each to keep carded and I will only buy openers of really good figures and of course I will continue to buy lots and lots of army builders.

As far as they side stuff, Galactic Heroes, Transformers, Jedi Force/Force Battlers, Mini Unleashed, Bikes, etc. I will pass. Sure I may buy one or two here and there. I bought the Galactic Heroes Scout Trooper, but aside from that nothing else interests me.

If Hasbro would just concentrate on the basic figures (and new characters) and work on making them well, collectors would spend more money. Hasbro had a good thing going with the Unleashed line, then they go and mess it all up with these horrific mini figures.

So, while my interest has diminished somewhat I am still in full collecting swing and will continue to buy the new figures.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Different sculpts? I was under the impression that the AT-AT Driver from the AT-AT Walker and the AT-AT Driver released on the limited edition FF card were in fact the same.

I'm only typing this cuz I have my AT-AT and it's two drivers right here under my keyboard...the figures are actually the same sculpt but one of them (I think the one that came with the AT-AT...can't remember for sure) is larger than the other and with different paint applications, making them look like they might be different sculpts.

jjreason
01-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Yes, they are slightly different. The dirty ol' folks over at "the other place" have an excellent comparison photo in their archives.

Tycho
01-14-2006, 10:52 PM
I was one of the first here to express my sentiments on this subject. I don't really need to repeat myself and I'll just continue to buy what I want. I did buy an extra 10 years onto my childhood and enjoyed that. I agree with so many comments posted here that I don't really think I have time to go into all of them.

However, I disagree that the ROTS stuff was crap. They were really nicely done figures IMO - some more than others, and I enjoyed collecting that line.

I'm more turned off by 2006's offerings of repeated characters.

There's specific products I'd buy from MR and SS, but I'm not turning into one of their fanboys myself. I'll continue with Del Rey, Dark Horse, and Scholastic - I learned how to read in elementary school and have enjoyed that skill since.

I am going to order 1 more Obi-Wan 12" from SS but haven't gotten motivated to do it yet. I think I'll also try and find an Anakin SS to fight him. I have no interest in Luke whatsoever. I'm not sure about Kit Fisto. I put the order date on my calendar, but I don't know if I'm going there or not.

I just logged on to look at the predicted 2006 list to try and make up my mind and budget for the Hasbro figures I'll probably be getting. I bought Derlin, Veers (who I always wanted really badly), and the Gonk. I plan on buying another Veers and Gonk, but none of the other first 14 this year. That's 5 figures out of 14, and 2 of them are duplicates!

I will go for the Utopau Clones, Cody, the Fireship pilots (2 of them) and like 8 Hem Dazons (another I've waited a long time for!).

But like JediMasterSal said, this is no $6,000 year for me. I don't know if I ever spent that much in 1 year, but $2,000 was the average Midnite Madness ticket for me each movie year. I think Hasbro's SW sales will slump compared to their success in '05, and unless the TV show is magnificently good, it will not carry a toy line or renew interest in one.

As to growing up? Why not now? But let's keep the good friends we've made on this site and get together at conventions for reunions etc. If you need less money for action figures, you'll have more money for alcohol. Hehe.

Darth Cruel
01-15-2006, 06:00 AM
Tycho - If these Utapau Clones grace the pegs in the numbers the #41 ROTS clone did, there will be lots and plenty to spare. I climbed up to 47 of the #41 so fast I felt like my momentum was out of control. I stopped there, but saw so many of them that I could easily have made it to 100 without emptying the pegs. I have a buddy who shops at the same set of stores that I do (we have 2 Wal-Marts, 2 Targets, 2 K-Marts, a TRU, and a KB toys so close that when I hit all of them, the round trip from my house back to my house puts less than 40 miles on my car), and he made it to nearly 100. He had ninety-something and only quit because he got sick of buying them.

Devo
01-15-2006, 09:33 AM
My interest has received a boost having found the Hoth wave at one of my reliable online stores. Ordered that wave and more besides - then also ordered the carkoon wave and other stuff from my other usual online site. So my excitement levels are up right now.

Articulation is a lot like horsepower. Sometimes it's necessary. Sometimes it's not. But even when it's not, it sure is nice to know it's there.

Good comparison. Hasbro is a bit wierd sometimes on who it decides to articulate and who it doesn't and in the types of articulation they decide to give. The ROTS Shaak Ti puzzles me. Why not have swivel joints on both elbows like Luminara unduli? Why are the OTC cantina characters so articulated while the new Han Carbonite has hardly any?

If these Utapau Clones grace the pegs in the numbers the #41 ROTS clone did, there will be lots and plenty to spare

pegwarming 'good' figures? That would never happen in Ireland. All we get is the 'bad' pegwarmers ie. crap figures or figures that are actually good but which simply don't have mass appeal.

Darth Cruel
01-15-2006, 11:05 AM
My interest has received a boost having found the Hoth wave at one of my reliable online stores. Ordered that wave and more besides - then also ordered the carkoon wave and other stuff from my other usual online site. So my excitement levels are up right now.

Good comparison. Hasbro is a bit wierd sometimes on who it decides to articulate and who it doesn't and in the types of articulation they decide to give. The ROTS Shaak Ti puzzles me. Why not have swivel joints on both elbows like Luminara unduli? Why are the OTC cantina characters so articulated while the new Han Carbonite has hardly any?

pegwarming 'good' figures? That would never happen in Ireland. All we get is the 'bad' pegwarmers ie. crap figures or figures that are actually good but which simply don't have mass appeal.

I was pleasantly surprised myself. I actually saw #41 Clones that had bubbles clouded from scratches and the J-hook broken and torn so badly that they couldn't hang up. They all eventually sold out. But it took a while. I imagine that the sales of that figure was probably just about as close to perfect as Hasbro could dream.

tagmac
01-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Having gotten all but 6 of the vintage figures, I swore in '95 that since my parents could no longer tell me I wasn't allowed to buy Star Wars figs anymore (as they did in 1986 since they felt it was not popular, and so I shouldn't buy them anymore), I was gonna get every single one of them. Well, that obviously didn't happen, and lately, I've begun to lose interest to a point. I still want the new figures, but I am far from a completist. Starting with the Original Trilogy waves, I made it a point to not buy any of the repaints, but only the brand new characters and sculpts. Once again, i will continue that. However, figures like Scorch (who wasn't in the movies) and the overpriced astromech droid sets I am skipping, in favor of only the movie characters. Part of me is glad the 12" line and regular Unleashed lines are over, since that is even fewer items to buy. In addition, aside from a possible cloud car release, I am through with vehicles and other overpriced items (I still regret getting the Queen's Starship). Heck, the fact that I never found the Separation of the Twins at retail didn't bother me - I really wanted them when I'd first heard of them, but the quality stunk, and I found it very easy to resist paying 3X the price at my comic shop, which has lately turned to scalping SW figures, something it hasn't done in a long time. If the line were to ever end, I don't think I'd miss it nearly as much as I would have a few years ago.

Tycho
01-15-2006, 08:16 PM
You regret buying the Queen's Royal Starship? That was a great playset/toy IMO.

It first came out at $100 which was steep for that ship. I bought. But it went to $50 while I still was within the 90 day range for my receipt. I quickly bought 2 for $50 and returned one for $100 with my original receipt.

I might sort of regret paying $100 for one if it ended up that I had, but I'm quite satisfied with my Queen's ships.

tagmac
01-15-2006, 08:42 PM
That's exactly why I regret it. I was in my early 20's and far too old to actually play with the thing when it came out, and it was too big to actually display. I kept it out for about a week, and it's been put away ever since.

Tycho
01-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Well, displaying it with figures aboard is HOW we play with it as adults. I can't sit there and make my action figures talk to each other, shoot each other, whatever. I've tried, but I'm not a kid any longer. I actually feel a loss of my inner-child over that, but there's nothing I can do about it.

This thread's actually a lot about growing up and we are slowly doing that, too. Resculpts and re-releases, repaints, etc. are slowly weaning us off this stuff. One of the most noticeable first changes is that a lot of us are moving to high end merchandise (SS, MR, etc) Later, as we realize how limited display space is (as you mentioned before) we may cut it out altogether.

I seriously would not recommend anyone selling their collections off or anything like that. I really enjoy what I have. If you sell your stuff, Hasbro will just continue to make more money off you when you repurchase Tatooine Luke for your own kids, or the display you regret not having built now.

mikey1974
01-16-2006, 06:30 AM
Well, displaying it with figures aboard is HOW we play with it as adults. I can't sit there and make my action figures talk to each other, shoot each other, whatever. I've tried, but I'm not a kid any longer. I actually feel a loss of my inner-child over that, but there's nothing I can do about it.

This thread's actually a lot about growing up and we are slowly doing that, too. Resculpts and re-releases, repaints, etc. are slowly weaning us off this stuff. One of the most noticeable first changes is that a lot of us are moving to high end merchandise (SS, MR, etc) Later, as we realize how limited display space is (as you mentioned before) we may cut it out altogether.

I seriously would not recommend anyone selling their collections off or anything like that. I really enjoy what I have. If you sell your stuff, Hasbro will just continue to make more money off you when you repurchase Tatooine Luke for your own kids, or the display you regret not having built now.

tycho,you couldn't have said it better......my goal was to get and have every main and major secondary character for all the films.....now that i've done that,i don't feel the need to get everything on the pegs....

i have no intention to sell my collection...i'm saving it for my son,wh at 2 is way too young yet......but i look foward to sitting with him and watching the movies on DVD......and when we're done,taking him up in the attic and showing him where HIS new SW figures are,so that he can continue the adventures of luke han and leia (and now anakin,padme,and kenobi) that i had done when i was a kid.....and he has the advantage,as i only had maybe 30 or 40 total SW figs to play with as a kid,whereas he will have over 350 to play with,and no waiting for the next movie line to come out in 3 years,they're all there for him now.....

....unless.....GASP....he ends up HATING star wars!!!!!

waboritas
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
You hit the nail on the head. I think all of us hope we can pass them down to our children, but with if they think it is lame? My wife says this to me all the time. I keep telling her I am almost finished and like many of you, I am pretty much done, although I do like coming here and seeing what is new and hearing what you guys have to say. My collection is limited to 3 3/4" figs, vehicles and playsets. When I have kids, I want to sit my first down when he/she turns 4 and watch Episode I and then give him/her some figures and vehicles and then keep giving them as gifts for the major holidays over the course of the year. Then sit down and watch Episode II and so on for 6 years and keep it going. Growing up I had my Star Wars and GI Joe figs, but had just as much fine playing with my father's old army men.

As far as '06, I thought the Carbon Han looked very cool, but after reading what you guys had to say and the fact I have the orginal POTF2 and the one that came with the Jaba Diorama, I decided to pass on the $6.99 price tag. I never got a Bib Fortuna and may pick one up, even with the weird facial expression. I'll be selective what I buy and my last overpriced exclusive was the Target Utapo Shadow Trooper. Nice fig., but not worth $12.99. I'm hoping as most of you are, that KB will get the ROTS leftovers and clearance them, as they seem to be Hasbro's dumping ground for overstocked items in the past (Saga 1).

abell748
01-16-2006, 08:15 AM
I find myself only buying the never before made figures this year (only a couple of resculpts...Veers). The vehicles suck for the most part, although I will get the repack Ani starfighter if it is the green one. I refuse to pay the going ebay price for that thing. One day I will pass my collection (entire basement) to my 2 sons. At 5 and 6 they already love Star Wars and they are as we speak plotting my death so they can split my toys up sooner. At my age, they don't want to wait forever till I die off naturally.

bobafrett
01-16-2006, 01:44 PM
I don't think I have lost interest, I still get a little excited when I see the new figures on the pegs, but I have had to cut back on my spending. I recently purchased the $200 Vader GG sculpture, and have saved and spent on higher end items like the GG busts. It's harder to be a completist when some of these are only sold at certain cons, but I really enjoy, and am proud to display these much more than saying "Hey, I'm 40 want to see my action figures?" but I do anyway, cause there is still a kid inside of me.

DarthQuack
01-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Towards the end of the ROTS line I kinda fell out for about a month but now I'm roaring back into it and found and purchased the Carkoon and Hoth waves, hopefully so I can relax for a few weeks and put some money away.

Devo
01-16-2006, 02:51 PM
I used to assume that I would have kids one day. That was when I was one (in body). Not so sure now. Im not fond of the kids out on my road - they've shown me that kids have to be taught codes of proper conduct. What I assume should be default knowledge such as - 'you shouldn't pick up a cat by its tail and hind leg, spin wildly and then hurl it through the air' - actually isn't for a kid. They're a moral blank slate and I just don't think I could put up with that at all. Will my collection fall into the hands of a child one day? Maybe. Right now I say over my dead body but my attitude might change.

jedi master sal
01-16-2006, 05:23 PM
My fiancee gets mine, though I may reserve some for a children's charity.

Hmm, let me change questions to this thread here a moment-though it still kindof relates.

Once you are done, or close to done collecting, what will you do? SPECIFICLLY with your SW collection? Will you display it and how? For those who are carded colelctors, do you think you'll ever open them up? ETC.

I've stated many times over that I have plans for huge dioramas. That's still the plan. If I can afford it, I'd love to own a home and turn it into a museum of sorts for my collection.

My ultimate dream is to have a home with a warehouse in the back where I create the dioramas. Not only that I want the warehouse to look like an Imperial hangar and would liek to build a life-sized Falcon to house in it. With working electronics and plumbing, etc (think of it as my SW cottage...)

Like nearly everyone, money is the only thing holding me back. I've got the skills to design and build it all. I just need the room (and money).

Slicker
01-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Once you are done, or close to done collecting, what will you do? SPECIFICLLY with your SW collection? Will you display it and how? For those who are carded colelctors, do you think you'll ever open them up? ETC.

Honestly, if you're a die-hard is there ever an end? I mean look at Sansweet. He's got the largest collection but still finds new items on a daily basis so imagine what one of us basic collectors could do once were "done". I personally want to get a vintage carded collection.

Tycho
01-16-2006, 05:50 PM
I am on the same page with JediMasterSal. Always was. Except I don't think I'll have room on my property for a life-size Falcon! (I'd prefer a swimming pool)

I do want to kill the kids Devo witnessed abusing a cat and bury them in my backyard however (I would do it, too!)

I've stated many times over that I have plans for huge dioramas. That's still the plan. If I can afford it, I'd love to own a home and turn it into a museum of sorts for my collection.

Mine may not be "huge" (I don't know what you mean by that, Sal) but I intend to build in my standard 6ft by 4 ft by 18 inches display cases and have them line 2 or 3 walls per room in my house. (By the way, the Republic Gunship is about 1" too wide at the wingspan for these cases, so dioramas that use this ship, and the Royal Starship, will have to be custom-made 21" just to be on the safe-side space-wise. I don't know about the ARC 170, I intend to hang mine).

I plan on a total of about 16 of these cases or so, plus some odds and ends such as a centerpiece type for the Sarlaac Battle with a custom Jabba's Sailbarge, and one for the Galactic Senate.

I don't like trophy rooms for the collection - too overcrowded for a collection my size. I'd rather have 4 or 5 things to look at per room, than 25 all in one room.

I rather care for color-decorum arrangements (such as Geonosis and Mustafar are "red") than organization by movie such as "Tatooine and Naboo are both in TPM."

White - Hoth, Cloud City, Blockade Runner, Trade Federation Ship
Black - Death Star, Space, Star Destroyer, Coruscant
Red - Geonosis, Mustafar, Tatooine (prequels)
Green - Naboo, Yavin, Endor, Kashyyyk, Fallucia
Blue - Kamino
Tan - Tatooine (Sequels)

Maybe there will need to be 2 tan and 2 green rooms.

I'd much rather concentrate on that than worry about shopping for new figures right now.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-16-2006, 07:13 PM
I do want to kill the kids Devo witnessed abusing a cat and bury them in my backyard however (I would do it, too!)

I'll dig the holes to bury them in!

I want the same thing as JMS, 'cept I want several rooms in my house to look like different star wars places like the interior of the falcon from ANH, the inside of luke's garage and/or home, hoth hangar and maybe cloud city somehow. I'm an opener so I also want to do HUGE dioramas. I have some good ones now but not enough shelf space or wall space to put up all of my stuff...just a bit of it.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Like nearly everyone, money is the only thing holding me back. I've got the skills to design and build it all. I just need the room (and money).I need the room, the money AND the skills.

When I bought this house a couple years ago, it seemed pretty big. Now, I wish I had a big basement rec room where I could set up some Star Wars displays. Now, most of my collection is taking up all of my spare bedroom. At this point, my opened figures are just displayed on shelves, tables or with playsets. I'll continue to open more figures and try to find better ways to display them.

I have no intention to sell my collection, though looking through it recently, I might want get rid of some duplicates someday. I have no children to pass them on to, nor do I intend to have children. I have some nephews, but I'm not ready to pass on my collection now. Maybe I'll just keep the collection until I die, and then have them auctioned off to raise money to find a cure for whatever it is I die from.

I think as long as they are making basic figures, I'll never be done. I'll probably be more selective, buying fewer repacks and resculpts.

Kidhuman
01-17-2006, 12:24 AM
As a carded collector I am planning on opening my figures one day. I do want to get my own home and set up displays all around. It will most likely be one room or so, but none the less. There are some that will stay carded, but most will be opened.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-17-2006, 01:51 AM
As a carded collector I am planning on opening my figures one day. I do want to get my own home and set up displays all around. It will most likely be one room or so, but none the less. There are some that will stay carded, but most will be opened.

I can't believe I saw this post! You were the one who was going to hold out (in my mind) and never, EVER open up his figures. I pictured walls and walls covered with carded figures...

mikey1974
01-17-2006, 07:01 AM
everything of mine is already opened.....i already have a display set up.....i hav e long shelf space where they all are....on the wall behind it i painted a huge starfield....each movie is seperated....EP1,then a space between,then EP2,then a space between,then EP3,etc.....in the middle of the starfield,behind the specific movie figures,i have the specific movie poster up....i also painted the shelf with movie-specific ground...EP1 has a greenish and blue swamp look (for naboo),EP2 orange rocks (fro geonosis) ,EP3 i left white as i'm still not sure what to put there....was thinking mustafar,but i laready got orange rocks next to it....EP4 yellow and gold for sand (tatooine),EP5 i recreated the carbonite chamber,with all the little orance cylindrical rectangles all over....EP6 is a green and brown forest.....

Kidhuman
01-17-2006, 07:25 AM
I can't believe I saw this post! You were the one who was going to hold out (in my mind) and never, EVER open up his figures. I pictured walls and walls covered with carded figures...

Yeah, but this is the best way of keeping all the weapons and accessories until there is time to set them up. Over the last two years I have changed my mind. Having set up Jabbas palace with all vintage figures really changed my mind. I wish I had the room to set it up right with all the new figures.

El Chuxter
01-17-2006, 08:19 AM
That could take quite a while.

DarthQuack
01-17-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm a carded collector right now myself, and I don't know if and when I will open them up, it's a very hard decision to make down the road hopefully when I have a family my son(s) can look in awe at the collection.

jedi master sal
01-17-2006, 11:19 AM
I am on the same page with JediMasterSal. Always was. Except I don't think I'll have room on my property for a life-size Falcon! (I'd prefer a swimming pool)

Mine may not be "huge" (I don't know what you mean by that, Sal) but I intend to build in my standard 6ft by 4 ft by 18 inches display cases and have them line 2 or 3 walls per room in my house.

Yeah that's about the size of some of my planned ones. THough the biggest will be my battle of Geonosis diorama. I've had to resize the plans due to an increasing amount of figures. It was going to be 4ft deep by 8ft long by 3 ft high. 5 of the 8 ft long would have been the vally of Geonosis, and the other 3 the Arena. Now I have to make it bigger to accomodate all of the figs I had for it. So the plans are now 5ft deep, 12ft long and 4ft high. (4x4 for the Arena now instead of the old 3x3). Heck, I have over 500 AOTC clones now that are going to flood that diorama. Those and all of the battle droids, Supers, Droidekas, Spiders, Gunships, Hailfire droids...it's going to be one busy diorama. But a hell of alot of fun to make and complete.

I want the same thing as JMS, 'cept I want several rooms in my house to look like different star wars places like the interior of the falcon from ANH, the inside of luke's garage and/or home, hoth hangar and maybe cloud city somehow. I'm an opener so I also want to do HUGE dioramas. I have some good ones now but not enough shelf space or wall space to put up all of my stuff...just a bit of it.

That's part of the plans for me too. I want to build a cantina "mini" bar, do the dining room like the Cloud City one, Bedroom like Padme's on Coruscant (just the bedroom, not the whole downstairs thing...) My ultimate dream for a collection room (aside from the Imperial Hangar warehouse) is to have a large room that looks like the Emperor's tower. All open like his was. But the bottom half will house some of the collection in see-through panels along the walls. I'd love to have a TV screen installed to the left and right (projection TV most likely, unless HDTV has something that size and of comparable cost). For those quiet times, I'd like to have a den that looks like Ben's hovel on Tatooine. Of course a hallway or two to look like the Death Star. He he, I think all of us would like to do this kind of thing if we could afford it. Bleh, money is always the issue though...

Wow, Kid, I'm surprised and yet very glad to hear you say this. It's almost therapuetic, huh? You'll see, one day when you do open your stuff, it's going to be like one BIG merry Christmas.

Folks, if you never plan on selling, please do consider opening your stuff later down the road. I understand KH's hesitation to do so now. (Though there's always ziploc bags...) But's i really is nice to hear that a carded collector will one day free his figs from their plastic prison, ha ha.

Since I've decided NOT to collect the TSC as carded but rather open, I've had no regrets and have actually felt relief come to me. I had always been an opener before OTC, but changed to a 1 carded/1 loose (except for army builders of course). Did the same through ROTS. I'm going to save quite a bit in the long run by not collecting carded now. More power to those of you who stick it out. If you look to sell in later years, I hope you do well. Just don't be surprised if that doesn't happen.

Alright, I've hijacked the thread long enough...
-Sal

DarthQuack
01-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Heck, I have over 500 AOTC clones now that are going to flood that diorama. Those and all of the battle droids, Supers, Droidekas, Spiders, Gunships, Hailfire droids...it's going to be one busy diorama. But a hell of alot of fun to make and complete.

How the hell do you have that many clones and droids????

Tycho
01-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Darth Quack, there's a guy up on Rebelscum (I think) that has a picture of his 4000 Clones. (no joke). He puts me and possibly JMS to shame. I just want to suggest the army, not actually own the whole thing. People in the forums did ask him about how he gets them all to stand up and not fall on each other. Included in his stuff are the 3 pack Deluxe Clones, and those don't have foot holes and do sometimes fall (the standing ones). More power to him if he wants to deal with that (at that large of scale - we all have 3-pack clones).

JediMasterSal: please leave room in your Geonosis Diorama for an AT-TE or several. There's always something called HOPE. I had layed out space for my (Underscale) estimate of my AT-TE (versus buying that many more Clones - probably 25 would have fit in that space).

Also, flatscreen Plasma TVs are much more versatile than rear-projection and you can hang them on the walls above your dioramas. In the case of the Emperor's throne room simulation, plasmas would fit perfectly (and at lighter weight) into the "repeater displays" that Palpatine had for tactical displays on his walls. As is always my advice, make your savings goals for retirement first. You have a lifetime to get your throne room. Money takes that long to really grow.

Kidhuman, if you decide to open all your figures, please sniff each of them as you get to it. You can post which ones were your favorites here. Try a closed room, with a vaporizer plugged in, and a wet towel on your head. Then break the seals on your R4-M9's with Mouse Droids! Or better yet, I'll grab a flight and join you just to relive the experience! I'd be very interested to know about older figures and how well their scent lasted when they were carded for so long (or if it is stronger than the newer figures).

El Chuxter
01-17-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm not so confused about him having that many figures. I'm just wondering where they all go. :)

James Boba Fettfield
01-17-2006, 02:14 PM

I'd like to display it...and I'm a carded collector. When my dad was heavy into toy collecting (early 90's stuff like JP, T2, Pred/Aliens, ST) he displayed a part of the collection (all carded) on the walls. It was like his own toy store in that room. Really left an impression on me because I liked how it looked. That's what I hope to do with my carded collection in the future.

I'm a sucker for the whole product, package and all.

jedi master sal
01-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Tycho, please send me that link...

I want to check it for photoshopping.

As far as me, I picked up clones just about every time I went looking for figures. No new figs meant more clone purchases. I've done teh same this time around, though I haven't quite hit the mark of 500. I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 ROTS style clones.

Also, I've been known to pick up large quantities of clones at one time. it was nothing for me to get 10-15 AOTC clones. Oh and Tycho is quite correct that some of those clones are teh 3-pack versions. I also bolstered my clone ranks with a super case from EE. I got the 3 sets each of 4 variations (with 4 clones each set) case. That was 48 in one go there.

For ROTS I picked up 67 clones the first day.
his pasted Friday I found clones on sale at WM for $4. They didn't have many left, but I wiped out what was left (approx 15).

I chalk it up to having a good job that I worked hard to get. Now I'm reaping the benefits of it.

Oh and Tycho, I'm not worried about my retirement. I'm already vested in the business I work for. Heck they are paying 1.5 to my 1 on my 401K investments. I have an IRA that is growing...Barring an economic disaster (in which everyone would be affected), I'm quite secure for retirement. Heh, but I don't think I'll live to see it, unless I drop some of this weight. Though I did finally start working out after 3 years.

Hmm, this talk is getting a bit grown up huh? Sheesh, who have thunk it? ha ha.
I plan for the future, but live in the moment. If you do too much planning, you're going to miss life as it goes by. Just my opinion of course.

Rest assured 500 clones is not impossible, just takes time (and money of course). I'm not holding out hope for the AT-TE. If it was going to be done, it would have by now. It's too large. Retailers complain about that and unfortunately they have the power now. Unless some place like EE gets it, there's almost no chance of getting it. And I'm not up for the challege at the moment of making one myself. (Maybe someday in the future, just not now)
-Sal

Tycho
01-17-2006, 05:47 PM
For all to enjoy, especially JMS, here's the Rebelscum link. It's in their forums where 'the little hoarder hangs out,' I guess.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1610414&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#1610414

Meanwhile, I'm pretty much too lazy to go out hunting right now, after my injury and all. I have the '06 Hoth figures I want (minus 1 more Veers and Gonk), but don't expect to hunt a lot until the Coruscant and Geonosis waves (for the newest Clones of course). I guess I'm missing out on bolstering my Clone ranks but this thread is about losing interest - and that's what's happening.

As far as doing too much planning? Nah. We're both living life - a 2nd childhood even. Whatever you're doing, you should be having fun! (you are, and I am too!)

Getting on to depressing subjects, the AT-TE. You know, that will be difficult to customize almost because it is smaller (than a Star Destroyer, Sailbarge, or other things I want). I'd want poseable legs of course, etc. If there were some way for Hasbro to do it, or if they'd sell their vehicle license or share it like they did the 12" with Sideshow, I'd have a passion for starting up a toy company or at least patronizing one that did a scale Falcon, amongst other things. The AT-TE is just aching to be made!

Slicker
01-17-2006, 06:05 PM
That's just ridiculous. Do you honestly need that many clones? (wait, don't answer that).

Let me do some quick math here. 1,800 clones x roughly $4 apiece (I'm taking into account 3 packs and what not) = $7,200 on clones alone!:eek:

TheDarthVader
01-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Some people have too much money!

B.
TDV

ecl
01-17-2006, 06:44 PM
i've been losing intest in the new figures, but i love the vintage ones more now

Mad Slanted Powers
01-17-2006, 07:16 PM
For all to enjoy, especially JMS, here's the Rebelscum link. It's in their forums where 'the little hoarder hangs out,' I guess.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1610414&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#1610414That there is a whole lotta clones. I just did a quick count of what I have and I came up with 90, and I'm not a huge army builder. I don't think I have more than 3 of any one carded clone variation.

Getting on to depressing subjects, the AT-TE. You know, that will be difficult to customize almost because it is smaller (than a Star Destroyer, Sailbarge, or other things I want). I'd want poseable legs of course, etc. If there were some way for Hasbro to do it, or if they'd sell their vehicle license or share it like they did the 12" with Sideshow, I'd have a passion for starting up a toy company or at least patronizing one that did a scale Falcon, amongst other things. The AT-TE is just aching to be made! You could just use the Action Fleet AT-TE and pretend your clones are giants.

Tycho
01-17-2006, 07:36 PM
That's just ridiculous. Do you honestly need that many clones? (wait, don't answer that).

Let me do some quick math here. 1,800 clones x roughly $4 apiece (I'm taking into account 3 packs and what not) = $7,200 on clones alone!:eek:

$4 a piece? Where the heck could you get them for $3.99? They were $4.88 at the cheapest through most of the general sales of them, and that would be about $5.16 after CA tax is added. Most of the time the pricing was worse, too. TRU tried to debut the ROTS line at $5.99 ($6) but we got our manager to match Wal-Mart for Midnite Madness and got $1 off each of our AF purchases.

Maybe folks are finding them cheap nowadays. I don't know. I'm really not going to the stores that much.

Fluke Skywalker
01-17-2006, 09:21 PM
I was into Army building for a while (Well OK, maybe more like platoon building), but dropped that idea quickly. It's neat, but all those resources spent on such little variety got a little bland after a while. I got enough to make diroamas with and moved on. I don't have enough troops to conquer the galaxy, but they can hold down the fort.

As far as losing interest, I thought I was too until it hit me. I was losing interest in the Prequels. I'm done with the PT. All prequeled out. Once that dawned on me, I felt a lot better. I'm looking forward to the OT themed waves, the return (Maybe) of the VOTC and collecting vintage items. Like someone said above (Tycho?) it's all about having fun. I still love hunting figures (And finding!), so I can't see that changing.

Bobby Fett
01-17-2006, 09:39 PM
My interest in the hobby has its ups and downs, but stays fairly high.

I collect 3 3/4" carded figure variations, 1995-present, U.S. and foreign. Currently I have 246 and am looking for 420 others. With these numbers, I'll never have them all, so I'll probably never lose interest.

For me the fun is in the hunt.

Everything I collect is on display in one room.

Of course I have a bunch of duplicates and miscellaneous figures that have been given to me over the years. I use these for trading and as presents.

Blackened88
01-17-2006, 09:41 PM

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1610414&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#1610414

thats f ing awesome! :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
01-17-2006, 10:38 PM
I haven't lost interest in the hobby, but honestly I have found that I pass on about 90% of the sw toys I see now. The last time I spent money on sw toys was in november. I used to buy sw toys every week, and it was rare that I let something new stay on the pegs if I saw it...I guess you could say I was somewhat a completist.
Now I focus more on my sports card hobby and things like that. I also enjoy getting the Mcfarlane sports picks and collecting those. I used to go straight to the toy aisles whenever I went to a store, but now I check out the cards then the toys. I guess thats just how things can change. Not saying I don't still love the hobby, because I do, but lately I have found that I enjoy other hobbies a bit more.

bobafrett
01-17-2006, 10:43 PM
I just lost interest seeing that this guy has all the clones.

jjreason
01-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Tycho, the math (at $4 per clone) was done to incorporate the lower "per figure" price of the numerous 3 packs it Sal had purchased to fortify his army - it was in the post, but I think you read over it.

Needless to say, that's not the important part....... the important part is:

Holy crap, Sal, that's a lot of clones! :eek:

Do you really have the space to display that much stuff????

Scackmgack
01-17-2006, 11:02 PM
If the guy with the clones also has a six-foot blond goddess for a sexual partner, I am impressed.

If not, well - I guess people have to waste their money on something...

Anyway, getting back to the o.p., I'm starting to lose interest. I have no patience for the re-hashes, but mostly I get tired of not finding anything. I remember ten years ago when I could pretty much find anything I wanted with little effort. Now it is like hunting for buried treasure. If not for the new Senate Skirmish set, I would never get a Shock Trooper save off eBay. I got lucky that the local Target was redoing their toy aisle and I knew when to go to get some Republic Attack Cruisers. I never know if I am going to find anything, and I get tired of worrying about it.

I'm seriously-considering continuing the Mobile Suit Gundam MSiA collection. The Japanese know how to produce enough product to fill thier markets. Never had any trouble finding anything I really wanted (though I did need to order them from Japan).

Kidhuman
01-18-2006, 12:42 AM
Wow, thats a ton of clones.

mikey1974
01-18-2006, 05:47 AM
how...how can you even BUY over 1,000 clones? my god.....

as it is,i only have 37 clonetroopers:

EP 2:

SA White trooper
Red Commander
Yellow Lieutenant
Blue Seargant
Clone Pilot

EP 3:

Red Commander
Green Commander
Yellow Commander (evolutions)
White Pilot
Black Pilot
AT-Rt Driver
AT-TE Tank Gunner
#6 Quick Draw Clone
#41 SA Clone
Commander Bly
Commander Gree
501st Tactical Ops Clone
Commander Bacara
Red Shocktrooper
Target Red Trooper
Target Utapau Shadow Trooper
SWS Covert Ops Trooper
DVD 3-pack Trooper
Commander Cody - CUSTOM
Commander Neyo - CUSTOM
Commander Fox - CUSTOM
Mygeeto Snowtrooper - CUSTOM
Utapau Trooper - CUSTOM
Kashyakk Trooper - CUSTOM
Kashyakk Biker Scout - CUSTOM

Clone Wars Animated:

ARC Trooper
White Trooper
Yellow Lieutenant
Red Commander
Blue Seargant
Commander Cody
EP 3 Trooper

and that's MORE than enough fo me.....

Old Fossil
01-18-2006, 08:32 AM
What an interesting thread!

For myself, the interest is definitely still there; time for hunting, and space for the collection, are dwindling. But collecting SW figures has been, and will be, my "little hobby" for quite some time now. I don't collect the high-end stuff from GG and MR; I guess if you have the money, it's okay, but I prefer to keep it simple and cheap, and use that money for paying down other bills, and for more "grown-up" investments.

For much of December and the early part of January I was worried that the new Saga line would not hold either retailers' or collectors' interests, and the new line would die; and worse, I might not care too much if it did. ROTS was great, but I spent way too much money on it, even though I still like nearly every figure I bought from that line. At the end of that line, I thought maybe everyone felt a little burned out like I did. Thankfully, that's not the case, as the new Saga figures are truly wonderful and have helped reignite my interest in collecting. (I mean, I have four new AT-AT Drivers now. What an incredible figure!!!)

Heck, if nothing else, I have a new R5-D4 figure to look forward to!:thumbsup: Hooray for the Original Trilogy!

jedi master sal
01-18-2006, 01:35 PM

For the record those are not my clones.

Thanks for the link Tycho. Now there's a man after my heart. I'd say that I have just about as many in the pic, but he stated in that thread that he has 800 more not in the pic. If that's true then he's got me beat. I've got a few hundred Stormtroopers though.

It's truly inspiring to see that many all at once. I'm hoping to do the same with all of mine before they go into their respective dioramas.

Oh also for the record, I'm engaged and she's a collector too. Of other lines, but she gets the obsession, thankfully.

As far as prices of figs go, I bought quite a bit at retail. Don't forget though that the 3-packs ran anywhere from $10-12. I got some 3-packs on clearance too for $8. Lately I've been bolstering the ROTS clone army with $4 #41 clones on sale at my local Wal*Mart. Take into account the Clone Evolution sets, those average more than $7 a piece. The 48 clones from EE that I got, average about $6.50 per clone. So the $5 mark is pretty accurate.

Clones are definitely one thing that's keeping me collecting. If they stopped making troopers, I'd be ever so close to quitting and onto the diorama phase.

Tycho
01-18-2006, 02:58 PM
To me, what that guy did was go overboard. I like to "suggest" the size of the army, not actually build it. I do have the money, just not the patience (to find all the stuff, and set it up)

I think I had 9 Stormtroopers (amongst other Imp Officers, DS Troopers etc) in my Endor Display. Maybe 7 Snowtroopers trying to cross "no man's land" in the Battle of Hoth, etc. I think Geonosis was closer to 11-25 Clones or something in between that. Mentally I'm confusing ground troops and Gunship personnel. Too much is just too much.

I did use CW realistic SA Clones for a lineup from the end of AOTC and Palpatine, Bail Organa, etc. on the balcony overseeing the deployment of Republic forces. There I think I used 30-some Clones and several Clone Officers, but I made the display at an angle so I didn't have to approach it symmetrically and represent full rows and collumns. The extras I had from the shopping effort (mostly AOTC 3-packers) went into EU scenes and were inaccurately deployed in my ROTS Kashyyyk scenes because I think I tired of shopping for Clones in general. If they make the BARC Troopers or whatever they're called in the future, I may end up going there.

Because my stuff was packed up and put in storage while I was in the hospital, I find it hard to be enthusiastic about continuing down this route until I am able to buy the large house that goes with this picture.

Then I'll have the space to spread this out and do a proper inventory. You have no idea how disruptive (and depressing) my medical emergency became because my uncle packed me up and moved me (mostly into storage) while I was in the hospital and not expected to "make it out."

Mad Slanted Powers
01-18-2006, 07:10 PM
My clone breakdown:

2 = Episode II Sneak Preview Clone Troopers
3 = Saga Red Clone Troopers
3 = Saga Gunship Pilots
9 = 3 x Clone Wars Clone Trooper Army (Blue, Green and Yellow versions)
1 = Clone Wars Clone Trooper with Speeder Bike
16 = 4 x EE Clone Trooper 4 packs (one of each version)
3 = ROTS #6 Clone Trooper
3 = ROTS #6 Clone Trooper (Red Version)
3 = ROTS #41 Clone Trooper
2 = ROTS Clone Commander (Red)
2 = ROTS Clone Commander (Green)
3 = ROTS Clone Pilot
2 = ROTS Clone Pilot (Black)
2 = ROTS AT-TE Gunner
2 = ROTS AT-RT Driver
1 = ROTS Commander Bacara
2 = ROTS Commander Bly
2 = ROTS Commander Gree
2 = ROTS Tactical Ops Trooper
1 = ROTS Deluxe Clone Trooper
1 = AT-RT with AT-RT Driver
12 = ROTS Clone Trooper 3-packs (Red, Blue, Green and White versions)
4 = Jedi Temple Assault Battle Pack
5 = Clone Attack on Coruscant
4 = 2 x Clone Trooper Evolutions (one of each version)

90 Total, not counting my ROTS 12 inch clone. So, without trying too hard, I've got nearly 100. I'm looking forward to whatever versions are released this year, but I'm probably more interested in all the new characters being released, especially from the OT.

jedi master sal
01-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Gawd, I don't even want to think about what the breakdown is for me. I've got most of it catalogued. But that's roughly a 50pg spreadsheet, IIRC. It would take me quite a long time to count them up and break the down.

X13VADER
01-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Great With Most Of You Losing Intrest Maybe I Can Find All The Ones I Need

sith_killer_99
01-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tycho

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1610414&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#1610414

HA!

I am not impressed, I've had at least that many clones between EP2 and EP3!:yes:

Well, maybe I am a little impressed, afterall, I just couldn't stand having that many clones and ended up getting rid of most of them.

I wonder what my OT Army would look like if I put it all out at once?

mikey1974
01-21-2006, 06:51 PM
here's a 2-fold question for all of you out there....

1) when do you think you'll stop buying SW figures......or do you think you'll ever stop buying them....i'm thinking this will be my last year for them...i have everything i could possibly want either already out or coming out,and i plan to get some older figures i missed the 1st time....i seriously think it's time for me to start winding down.....unless they produce a supercalafragilisticexpialadocious year for figures in 2007.....

2) how much longer do you think hasbro can keep this train running....with no new movies on the horizon,i imagine they'll get some mileage out of the 3-D rereleases and the TV series' ,but eventually people will lose interest to the point of not caring anymore....i remember reading about kenner's great plans for SW for 1985 and beyond,but it nevr went anywhere because interest fizzled.....

sith_killer_99
01-21-2006, 10:09 PM
1) when do you think you'll stop buying SW figures......or do you think you'll ever stop buying them....

Well, Star Wars is my only collecting hobby, so I will continue to collect until Hasbro stops production. I may continue for a short time after, just to pick up anything I really want that I am missing, mostly high end items I suppose.

2) how much longer do you think hasbro can keep this train running....with no new movies on the horizon,i imagine they'll get some mileage out of the 3-D rereleases and the TV series' ,but eventually people will lose interest to the point of not caring anymore....

Well, all good things come to an end. I predict that the Star Wars line, at least the basic figures, will continue for a long time yet. With the 3-D films and multiple television series coming out it greatly depends on the success of those commercial enterprises. However, I believe we still have a good 8-10 years of new, or relatively new product to look forward to. Beyond that, who knows. Hasbro has the license until 2018 and they will want to milk it for all they can, and Lucas is no slouch when it comes to merchandising.

Turbowars
01-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Well since I believe Ep 7, 8 and 9 will be made, I don't think SW figures will ever end.:thumbsup:

decadentdave
01-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Well since I believe Ep 7, 8 and 9 will be made, I don't think SW figures will ever end.:thumbsup:

I am inclined to agree. I know Lucas has sworn they will not get made but he's an idiot not to make them. Star Wars is a multi-billion dollar annual ***industry*** and his company has so much to profit from, even after he has long passed on and become one with the Force, Lucasfilm will still be merchandising the Star Wars brand any and every way they can. I think it is inevitable that SOMEONE will find a way to make them happen.

As for my personal investment, Star Wars has been my entire life. I have literally devoted my entire life to it from age 5 in 1977 until now. It has been a HUGE financial comittment and one that has put me in debt. I cannot continue to collect in the capacity that I have. I made it through three Prequels and I just cannot keep supporting it along those lines. I will continue to pick up a few things here and there but I have already passed on so much stuff Hasbro has started putting out (i.e. R2 Tater just for you, Chuxter) that I have found myself actually becoming a "recovering" Star Wars addict. I need to start thinking about my future beyond Star Wars. All the money I have spent on this stuff I could have purchased 3 or 4 cars or a big house just to store my collection. My old Honda isn't gonna keep getting me by. I need to start focusing on "grown up" stuff for a change and put Star Wars kind of on the backburner for a while. It will always be in my heart but I cannot let it consume me the way that it has been. Sometimes less really is more and right now I have pretty much OD'd on Star Wars.

JediTricks
01-22-2006, 03:37 AM
Yeah, because Lucas isn't already rich *enough* or something, right? Supposedly 7-9 not being made is even ensured by his will, so beyond the grave it ain't gonna happen.

As for the lifespan for the toys, I give them 1 to 3 years depending on how the shows are accepted. It's running out of steam and with this pricepoint increase it's running out of kids who are still Hasbro's focus.

mikey1974
01-22-2006, 06:23 AM
Yeah, because Lucas isn't already rich *enough* or something, right? Supposedly 7-9 not being made is even ensured by his will, so beyond the grave it ain't gonna happen.

As for the lifespan for the toys, I give them 1 to 3 years depending on how the shows are accepted. It's running out of steam and with this pricepoint increase it's running out of kids who are still Hasbro's focus.

yeah,i heard that too...that only HE can make a 7,8,and 9 if he chooses too,and when he dies the rights to make SW feature films dies with him....i'm not sure how that would work unless he has it that lucasfilm lawyers will sue any filmmaker or studio that would attempt to make a film after he's gone.....

Tycho
01-22-2006, 06:24 AM
The R2-Tater just got me all excited again. God I'm hopeless!

My intentions are now to start switching from action figures to platic vegetables.

Isn't there an effective 12-Step Program for this?

sith_killer_99
01-22-2006, 09:33 AM
I don't see Lucas doing a 7-8-9.

However, I could see him doing individual films. Like say "Star Wars Boba Fett" or a spin off of the television series if it makes it big.

Of course, Lucas has always viewed the films as a "work in progress" even after 30 plus years. So we could end up with extended re-release box sets ala LOTR. Who knows, heck probably not even Lucas at this point.

JediTricks
01-23-2006, 04:31 PM
yeah,i heard that too...that only HE can make a 7,8,and 9 if he chooses too,and when he dies the rights to make SW feature films dies with him....i'm not sure how that would work unless he has it that lucasfilm lawyers will sue any filmmaker or studio that would attempt to make a film after he's gone.....The executor of his will would hire lawyers to do just that. Besides, it's copyright issues, Lucas is the only one who is legally allowed to make commercial Star Wars films or TV for another 100 years, until the copyright expires.

mikey1974
01-23-2006, 05:10 PM
The executor of his will would hire lawyers to do just that. Besides, it's copyright issues, Lucas is the only one who is legally allowed to make commercial Star Wars films or TV for another 100 years, until the copyright expires.

WHOO-HOO!

looking foward to it!

Star Wars Episode VII : Rebirth of an Empire

coming May 16th,2109......

....and somewhere,there are people already in line for tickets.....

InsaneJediGirl
01-23-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm not losing interest in Star Wars,just the 3 3/34" lines and Hasbro-run stuff.

I LOVE collecting action figures,but I havent been able to find one single Saga figure anywhere. In fact,the stores barely have a Star Wars selection. I was a huge fan of Unleashed,but when Hasbro dropped that I really started to lose interest in their stuff. I want to buy some of the Saga collection,but I want new figures never before made or figures with a first sculpt so bad it demands another one. I want EU figures,but of course that will never happen.

So instead I've turned my attention to the comics and books. Since Christmas I've spent easily $60 on SW comics/books. I like the fact they come out when promised,most are of pretty good quality.

I bought about 15 SW action figures in 2005,I feel 2006 will be about the same.

BountyHunterScum
01-23-2006, 07:49 PM
I used to buy alot of them but now I'm sticking to certain groups of characters.

timmae
01-23-2006, 09:45 PM
after being a completist for years, i cut back last year and even more this year. i'll always get the cool carded figs though. even if it is 1 in 10 or so.