PDA

View Full Version : Feast upon the visage of LEGO Batman sets!

JediTricks
01-13-2006, 03:45 PM
http://www.action-figure.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=18814

These seem to be recycling some vehicles from other system sets, but adding a Batman touch so I'm not unhappy with that. My 1 real complaint is that they're using wings for the bat-vehicles which are just too large. There are some really cool-looking touches in these though, so I look forward to April.

Ji'dai
01-13-2006, 04:43 PM
I see what you mean about reusing Town vehicles. That hovercraft looks like the one from Hovercraft Hideout (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7045).

The Batmobile looks pretty good. I see some design influences borrowed from the Ferrari sports car sets. Those batwings look like they came from the old Fright Knights Castle theme.

I'm actually not that interested in the superhero sets. I have one Spider-Man set, Doc Ock's Hideout, that I got for ten bucks.

I would like to see what the Spongebob sets look like though. Bein' a landlocked landlubber I like beach/ocean sets.

El Chuxter
01-13-2006, 05:31 PM
This will probably be the only time in history that Killer Croc can be described as "cute."

I kinda like these. I especially like that they appear to be based on the look from Batman:TAS and its spin-offs.

JediTricks
01-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I recognized the Hovercraft Hideout one immediately (I got that set on clearance from WM last year). And Two-Face's armored car reminds me of last year's Prisoner Transport: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7245

BTW, I forgot to mention, but the bad guys here have modern handguns and weaponry! Killer Croc has a pistol and a tommygun, as does Two-Face's goon.

And I love that 2-face comes with his "coin" and the sticker on the armored car his the LEGO version of his coin.

DarkArtist
01-13-2006, 08:07 PM
I like the sets, for years I have been wondering why Lego never jumped on the idea of making Batman into Lego. At Toy Fair a few years back I met with the Lego rep and designer and showed some of my ideas to them. One was for a Justice League line featuring Superman and Batman and even Wonder Woman with her invisible jet.

Kidhuman
01-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Lego already made an invisible jet. It was a b**ch to put together and I cant find where I put it

JediTricks
01-14-2006, 12:33 AM
Playing the Catskills again, eh KH?

I think part of the reason is that up until recently, LEGO was very opposed to doing "realistic violence" toys, and probably still are. Another reason they didn't do it till now: Art Asylum had the building brick license for their C3 line.

Slicker
01-14-2006, 12:38 AM
These look pretty sweet. I like how LEGO is taking on more and more movie based lines.

LusiferSam
01-14-2006, 02:49 PM
I think anybody who said they liked these needs their head examined. I have very mixed feelings about this line. I like Batman and I liked the animated series (which these look like their based on). But I really don't like the way Lego is going. The whole line seems fly in the face of what Lego had said about their toys years ago. Maybe I'm living past or maybe I just see this as the continuing decline of a once great toy.

I'm surprised no one a mentioned this yet, I think the stuff all looks CAD. The old elements, the bricks, just don't like real to me. I'm sure the real toys will be the same, but these aren't it.

Another thing that bothers me it's looks like the worst parts of the animated series have been mated with gay Val Kilmer/George Clooney Batman.

EDIT:

Hey I just spotted this (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=163185) over on Brickshelf. It's mostly the same, but shows the Batwing and Batcave sets. Those two look real to me.

Ji'dai
01-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Hey I just spotted this (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=163185) over on Brickshelf. It's mostly the same, but shows the Batwing and Batcave sets. Those two look real to me. The Batcave even has bats hanging from the ceiling. Could be something else, but it looks like there are four penquins on that plate with the other mini-figs on the right. What is that vehicle on the landing pad there in the center? That looks like a Batwing.

Kidhuman
01-14-2006, 11:08 PM
I do like the Bat Cave, the bats hanging down are a nice touch

LusiferSam
01-15-2006, 01:47 AM
What is that vehicle on the landing pad there in the center? That looks like a Batwing.
I'm thinking Batboat. With the four penguins and the Penguin it looks like the Batman Returns Batcave.

JediTricks
01-15-2006, 04:42 PM
First off, yes they're CAD, but they're official from LEGO, they're art for retailers and advertisers to use.

That Batwing seems really large, larger than the C3 version from last year, and it's not exactly the right shape but it does seem cool. That it comes with Joker and his helicopter says 1989 Batman, I'm guessing Joker's death scene will be left up to your discretion. :p

The Bat ski boat and the penguins suggest Batman Returns, that looks like a pretty big set too. I'm guessing this is the $89 set they were talking about.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-15-2006, 11:30 PM
Meh. I was never a big comic book guy and especially not of Batman. I hope someone likes these sets so Lego won't lose their shirts on the licensing and manufacturing costs. I'll stick with SW.

JediTricks
01-16-2006, 04:44 PM
There are virtually no extra manufacturing costs, that's what makes LEGO work so well, it's all the same bricks. If they fail, buy back the excess and throw 'em in a tub. :p

JediTricks
01-26-2006, 08:46 PM
More CG photos for your eyes to ingest...

minifigs including villains we hadn't seen before: http://www.superherotimes.com/newsarchive/001197.php
(Penguin bad, Catwoman & Croc "eh", everybody else is great, Freeze is a testament to amazing use of various pieces)

Box art:
http://www.superherotimes.com/newsarchive/001205.php
(Batman's dragster is silly and has a HUGE gun, everything else looks nice)

DarkArtist
01-28-2006, 01:56 PM
I wonder if this could be a new launch for super hero lines. If Batman sells well perhaps they will jump onto the Superman Returns franchise and the X3 franchise as well.

I actually was sketching out ideas for an entire movie / tv related lego line including star wars, superman, star trek, batman, scooby doo, a-team, knight rider. I even have prototypes for the scooby doo figures, just could never find a van that could pass for the mystery machine.

JediTricks
01-28-2006, 04:08 PM
I suspect the unspectacular showing of the Spider-Man lines kinda kills any future deals with Marvel, especially since Marvel now is making building brick toys with Mega Bloks.

As for Supes and other DC entities, I think Batman alone is the one that best fits the LEGO building brick concept, you can build Batman's toys, but what can you build for Superman? Licensing issues will start to crop up with Justice League and such, the more characters you add the more expensive and complicated it becomes.

DarkArtist
02-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Superman could have a Daily Planet set, various robots designed by Lex Luthor, perhaps even a set similiar to the Action comics first appearence. Of course this could lead to the Justice League, but hey I'm all for it.

Ji'dai
03-17-2006, 04:39 PM
I noticed that the Batman sets are available for order from LEGO Shop@Home (http://shop.lego.com/leaf.asp?cn=244&d=7&t=3). We'll probably see these in stores soon though.

JediTricks
03-17-2006, 05:33 PM
They have an April shelfdate, so any day now I figure.

Blackened88
03-19-2006, 07:16 PM
cant wait to get the Batmobile the others im not crazy about.

Ji'dai
03-23-2006, 12:52 PM
I saw the Batboat/Killer Croc and Batmobile/Two-Face sets at TRU today so the Dark Knight should be hitting your part of Gotham soon. I'm not that excited about this license personally, but I might be tempted to get the sets on clearance.

Ric Olie
03-28-2006, 05:15 PM
I can't afford Legos at their regular prices so I'll wait for these to hit clearance as well. Love the mini figs.

Jargo
02-25-2007, 02:29 PM
I love the batcave and Arkham Asylum sets. haven't bought them but there are parts I'll find as separates. like the two Nightwing bikes I just bought. cool little vehicles. I like the two part construction that allows Lego to change te body shape but keep the basic chasis. So the one from the bat tank set will just have a different upper body shell but the same chasis. neat.

But yes, this movie franchise tie-in stuff is far too expensive. Come to that Lego in and of itself is getting fairly pricey. I'm reluctant to buy sets at all. Especially as there's usually very parts per set I actually want. Fair play to Lego though, they have to make money and the market is a tough place for plastic toy manufacturers right now. Even lego has had to downgrade the type of plastic used to produce the bricks. which would probably account for the colour changes and the fact there's lot more of that milky silver grey lego around. the stuff with the swirls running through it. more bendy than the rest of the lego bricks.
although with so few imperfect parts across the various ranges of lego I've always justified the cost to myself by thinking that what you buy is engineered parts. with next to no warping and everything fits together like it should. Lego is the only toy I'll still be playing with when I'm a coffin dodger.

but there should definitely be more orange Lego....

seanmcfripp
03-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Finally got around to getting the Bat-dragster and Catwoman set today. Nice little set, but something odd caught my eye that I wanted to share with the LEGO folks here. What style wheels did your Batmobile and Bat-dragster come with? I ask, because there are definitely two versions of that size wheel. All of the promo pictures on the boxes and LEGO website show the 8 spoke version, where the spokes kinda bend in concave towards the hub. There's another version of the wheel though that is totally different, with six spokes that aren't concave. I first noticed the six spoke, flat version on one of the Batmobile models in the Batman LEGO display at my local Toys R Us. Seemed fishy, but I figured maybe it had something to do with the construction for those particular display pieces. But now that I have my dragster, looks like it's a legit piece.

I went on Brickshelf to see if anyone else had one like this, and it sure enough, there are a few. Here's an example of the six spoke version:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1973038

And here's what I'm guessing is the more common, better looking eight spoker:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1702633

The six spoke version also appears on the inventory page of the instructions (pg 22). I'm kinda miffed. The eight spoker looks a lot better. I checked on Peeron.com, and they don't seem to be categorizing the six and eight spokers separately. In fact, I can only find the eight spoke version.

JediTricks
03-30-2007, 07:04 PM
The 8-spoke is the one I got on my Batmobile, I didn't get the dragster. The 6-spoke wouldn't be right for the batmobile, no question, but I did notice the wrong wheel in the art when I first got the set. I'm surprised there's a variation on this, maybe the different sets came from different factories, or maybe they realized it looks bad and switched to the other one.

Ji'dai
07-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Got the Shop@Home catalog in the mail yesterday. There are two new Batman sets out now:

The Bat-Tank (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=7787&cn=39&d=70) with the Riddler and Bane's hideout

The Bat-Copter (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=7786&cn=39&d=70) with Scarecrow and bi-plane.

JediTricks
07-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Oh man, i can't wait to get the Bat Tank, I'm such a sucker! :p Bane is kinda freaky as a regular minifig. August ship date tho'.

Bat Copter looks kinda phoned in, but I dig Scarecrow's plane with its gas bombs. Did they give Batman a scaredy-mouth?

Jargo
07-19-2007, 02:02 PM
really could do with a set that includes commisioner Gordon and some cops. maybe a police department facade. with the bat signal light. add a bit more gotham city to the theme.

A Wayne mansion facade in the same sort of style as Harry Potter stuff. exterior and then interior on a couple of levels with Bruce's study and a main hall. big staircase. Some sort of mechanism that sends Bruce down a shaft to the batcave. a fancy car out front. maybe a hot date waiting, some woman he can't get too involved with and has to leave to go do his dark knight stuff.

A Gotham city street scene. A bank with villains and unmarked trucks and police and civillians and guns and police cars and exploding store front and a big safe in the bank. street lamps and fire hydrants and street signs. road plates.

A high rise office building with a robber using suction cups to climb up it and batman using his grappling hook to scale down the building. maybe include the Batbike.

City plaza. facade of the city hall and a plaza area in front with benches and street lights and trees and a fountain statue thing. crazed villain with a massive bomb and detonator, couple of skateboarding henchmen. city mayor. Batman and robin. exploding fountain feature. secret city hall entrance.

stuff like dat.

El Chuxter
07-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Riddler and Bane have teamed up? I guess the Riddler must've forgiven Bane for pumping him full of venom, sending him as a pawn against Batman, then filling him full of holes and leaving him for dead.

I guess maybe the Lazarus Pit made him a bit more of a forgiving soul. I guess the two villains who actually figured out Batman's identity (rather than seeing him maskless) and who aren't dead probably need to chill out together.

JediTricks
12-27-2007, 02:57 AM
I got the Bat-Tank set for christmas and built it last night, it's really cool. The Riddler's jetpack is nifty, Bane's bike ain't too shabby and he almost pulls off the right look despite being normal minifig-sized (they painted his venom gear on his back and back of his head). Bane's hideout gates are really nifty and take up a good piece of real estate. And the tank itself is awesome, it looks fast yet tough all at once.

Ji'dai
12-31-2007, 02:13 PM
So how'd you like putting all those Technic tread links together? I built the TIE Crawler the other night and it had like 81 links for each drive tread :crazed:

For sets like that you almost need to set aside an hour to do prep work or preliminary building of tedious stuff, then you can build the actual set the next day.

JediTricks
12-31-2007, 05:03 PM
It's a little tedious, the Bat-tank has 79 links per tread, but over the years I've grown adept at popping these things together so it wasn't too bad, and in the bat-tank anyway, the treads are pre-counted in individual bags which is glorious since otherwise I'd spend all day and night counting the little buggers like I have on some chain-drive technic sets of the past.

I spent 3 friggin' hours last night building the Ferrari FXX, that was one of the wilder builds I've had in a while and it's mostly all straightforward. The bat-tank was a breeze by comparison.

Jangu Fett
12-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Batman 08 Tumbler: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SimAvenue/NewBatman/dsc00442.jpg

And Penguins Sub: http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/euroforum/uploads/post-13-1199119570_thumb.jpg

JediTricks
12-31-2007, 05:41 PM
Penguin AND Robin get a sub there! I am virtually destined to buy that set, as I am a major freak for LEGO submarines.

The Tumbler looks... uh... bad. Sorry, I couldn't think of a nicer way to put it. It's totally lacking the width or the sporty design of the original which is wide but very low and very raked. Hopefully the final version will look better than this prototype.

Jangu Fett
12-31-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm really liking the Sub set. The Tumbler, however is as you said, JT, lacking. They really could have done that better, and I hope it doesn't actually come with a grey suited Batman.

Jargo
01-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm dissapointed that the Jokers ice cream truck is white. I know it's traditional but they could have used one of the pale colours like green or yellow or blue. something to lift it. and the ice cream atop the truck looks clunky and ugly. mixing the tumbler with a more classic joker idea seems odd. an ice cream truck against a the tumbler just doesn't seem like fair odds. the joker could at least have got a vehicle with more manoueverability and hardware. a bigger truck full of explosives maybe. some sort of customised monster truck with armour plating. not some flimsy and tiny thing that would be crushed by one touch from the tumbler.

not a fan of subs. though i do love the penguin. just not enough about the set that interests me.

JediTricks
01-04-2008, 04:15 AM
These are prototypes, so the colors will likely change. I didn't even get that it was an ice cream truck though, that didn't come through on my first viewing at all.

Jargo
01-04-2008, 12:33 PM
hope they change the truck. bigger and not white. And I wouldn't have got the ice cream thing either but for a listing at brickset.com.

7884 Batman's Buggy: The Escape of Mr. Freeze
7885 Robin's Scuba Jet: Attack of The Penguin
7886 The Batcycle: Harley Quinn's Hammer Truck
7888 The Tumbler: Joker's Ice Cream Surprise