PDA

View Full Version : Who lives in a Pineapple under the Sea?

Ji'dai
01-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Spongebob Squarepants!

No pics yet, but I found some set numbers & names from an online store. These sets are due in August:

3825 The Krusty Krab $20
3826 Spongebob and Plankton's Adventure $30
3827 Adventures at Bikini Bottom $45

Anyone else looking forward to these?

Captain Spoon
01-13-2006, 05:24 PM
sets? LEGOS? SpongeBob LEGOS? :shocked:

JediTricks
01-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I knew about these already. I am kinda interested, but the odd shapes of the characters, even SBSP himself who is tapered and full of holes, make me wonder how they're gonna pull this off, and I hope they'll be system and not duplo. Plus, it feels like a year or so too late.

El Chuxter
01-13-2006, 05:32 PM
The correct answer to that question is: "An immensely overrated Ren & Stimpy knockoff." ;)

JediTricks
01-13-2006, 05:55 PM
I watched an ep of R&S again lately, talk about a show that didn't age well. I find Spongebob to be funnier and cover broader territory, R&S is now the overrated one with their constant focus on scatalogical humor and overly-accented buttocks.

El Chuxter
01-13-2006, 06:20 PM
The early episodes of Ren & Stimpy aged just fine. The later ones weren't particularly funny to begin with.

JediTricks
01-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Perhaps, but they ran that concept into the ground fast, even before Nick took the show away from John Kricfalusi.

starwarsfan1
01-13-2006, 07:27 PM
I will absolutly not be getting these. Spongebob is such a kids show. It used to be good but now its taken a turn for the worst. I would never thought that lego would sink so low. If you buy these I hope its for your kids ages 5-10.

Ji'dai
01-13-2006, 08:53 PM
I never cared for Ren & Stimpy. The bloodshot eyes and exposed varicose veins just seemed out of place in a kids cartoon. That kind of stuff has appeared in Spongebob too but fortunately not often.

I hope the SPSP sets aren't designed for the pre-school crowd. Patrick's rock would be pretty basic, but I'd like to see plenty of basic bricks make up Bob's Pineapple and Squidward's home. A LEGO Easter Island Head!! **jumps up and down with glee**

The Krusty Krab restaurant would work well as a sea-food shoppe in any Town set-up too. Man, I can't wait.

LusiferSam
01-14-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm inclined to agree with El Chuxter on both points. I've only watched parts of a Spongebob show but simply couldn't stomach to watch the whole thing. I'm also inclined to say this fad has crested and Lego is a johnny come lately.

As the age range of the show (and hence the building style), I have no clue. I've heard several people say it's aimed at high school or college aged kids, but in the package of a kids show (like Ren and Stimpy). I'm guessing you'll see the sets done in the style of the 4+/Junior/Jack Stone. Give the characters and their shapes this sounds like a fit. That also means a lack of basic bricks and lots of megablockist elements. In any case I wouldn't buy this crap.

plasticfetish
01-14-2006, 04:17 PM
I get the feeling that the Spongebob Lego idea isn't really being aimed at you guys anyway. ;)

I'm curious to see how this one goes down, and maybe a little wary of the whole idea... but it does sound fun. Spongebob is still very popular with kids. (For some reason, maybe more so since all of that sillyness about his "relationship" with Patrick.)

-----

BTW, Ren and Stimpy were a different animal than Spongebob. R&S always walked the line between being kid funny and really inappropriate... but in a good way that made it fun for adults to watch. Probaby more fun. Spongebob on the other hand is a much "safer" show for kids. It still has its sly "over their head" moments that adults can enjoy, but not like R&S.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-15-2006, 11:34 PM
Hey, I may be a goofy goober guy but I don't eat at Weenie Hut Jr.'s. I'm betting these will be in the same vein as either the Dora Legos or the 4+ sets.

I actually like the cartoons but don't go out of my way to watch them. The movie just flat out blew chunks.

Ji'dai
01-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Still no pics yet, but I found some set details over on the Eurobricks forum:

There will be two main minifig scale sets: the Krusty Krab and Spongebob's Pineapple. The striking thing about both is that they appear to be 50% of the building, and if you wanted to, you could buy two sets and easily make a complete whole.

The Krusty Krab is on a tan baseplate and is mostly brown - with some fun burger making pieces and under the sea details. The Pineapple is more striking - it is orange and has a detailed interior - including a bed that can spring up Spongebob. Both sets look spot on and have lots of details.

The figs are generally who you'd expect: Spongebob, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, Patrick, and Plankton are all there. Spongebob is made similiar to ewoks - a fig body with a 'Spongebob' piece that fits over it. I believe Mr. Krabs was the same. Patrick features a new starfish head on a normal body and Squidward is just a normal fig with special printing. Plankton (as you could guess) is a 1x1 round brick with printing. All the figs look good. The ones I saw weren't the final production pieces, so I didn't spend a lot of time looking at them.

The best set, however, is the UCS Spongebob - a 10-14 inch statue of Spongebob with moving eyes and semi-posable arms and legs. The front of Spongebob has a plate with printing of his mouth and comes with two plates for a happy mouth and an upset mouth. The mouth can be lowered (via clickhinges) and there is a bubble/spit shooting mechanism that is totally fun. Then there is another, UCS scale Plankton - which would be a stack of 2x2 round bricks - and he can climb inside Spongebob, where there are control panels and levers and whatnot. I haven't seen it, but I hear this is based on an episode where Plankton takes over Spongebob like a giant robot.

Overall the Spongebob sets are massively fun - very cute. I'm not sure how useful the figs will be until I can get a few in my hand again, but they were lots of fun to play with as is.

The "UCS Spongebob" the author mentioned is 3826 Spongebob and Plankton's Adventure; tentative price is $30.

JediTricks
01-24-2006, 09:13 PM
I dunno why, but I can't picture this at all, it sounds totally crazy.

timmae
01-24-2006, 11:00 PM
i'm not getting them. my daughter totally grew out of spongebob. i do have a few sw lego sets. just the cheaper blowout sets, fett, stormtroopers etc. i did get a couple spongebob racecars a few years ago.

Ji'dai
02-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Preliminary pictures of the sets/designs are hitting the 'net. Looks like the theme will be System scale, geared toward ages 7-12.

The pics are small so you can't see too much detail in the construction. I am happy to see the old-style palm tree fronds reappearing in this theme :pleased:

Mandalorian Candidat
02-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Why come out with these now? Why not a few years ago when SBSP was a lot more popular?

Ji'dai
02-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Licensing negotiations may well have begun several years ago. Or maybe the licensing fee has dropped as the show's ratings have fallen. The show must be still be popular among toy companies because I still see new product coming out, such as the episode-themed figure sets and the larger scale figs with action features for the younger crowd.

I will definitely be getting the Krusty Krab and the one with Bob's pineapple and Squidward's Easter Island head. The large build-a-Bob doesn't do much for me. Though if LEGO Shop@Home offers all the sets in some sort of collection at a discount I'll probably go that route.

Ji'dai
02-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Eurobricks (http://www.eurobricks.com/) has large pics of the box art on their home page.

They look to be constructed of lots of basic bricks. I like all the mini-figs besides Squidward. Looks like pink mini-fig "chef" hats are meant to be jellyfish.

Jargo
02-14-2006, 04:38 PM
I love the look of these sets. Never been a huge follower of the cartoon but for something to translate into blocks so well and at such a small scale is pretty nifty outright. I think these will really catch on. I'll be buying them cause they look fun. I'm so bored of stuff made with war themes. I want fun, stuff that captures my imagination not toys to recreate the daily news shows.

Star wars lego never really grabbed my eye. Probably because star wars merchandise is everywhere and the market is oversaturated with stuff for that. So this is perfect antidote stuff to me. I can see myself building lots around these sets. Hope they add to the line pretty fast those sets won't be enough to keep me satisfied long.

Ji'dai
02-14-2006, 08:13 PM
I savvy what you mean. While the Star Wars universe is strife-ridden and war-torn, it's such a fantastical environment so far removed from my actual reality it still becomes escapist fare for me. Many hobbyists recreate the world around them in painstakingly realistic detail, from hobos and criminals to gritty, dirty trainyards. I admire the level of realism in some setups, but man, when I create a miniature city I don't necessarily want to duplicate the world around me. My town doesn't have any pollution, homeless, unemployment, violent crime, or senseless hate. Whether you collect action figures, LEGO, or other miniatures, you can create whatever world you want them to inhabit. SpongeBob offers a fun, fantastical undersea world that you can just veg out in for a half hour.

Anyway, here are a collection of pics (http://www.flickr.com/photos/no_onions/tags/spongebob/), taken by FBTB.net, from the NYC Toy Fair that show the SpongeBob sets in more detail.

Battle Droid
02-14-2008, 11:43 AM
New Hospital set,

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Multipla/LEGO-2008/spongebob3832.jpg