PDA

View Full Version : Which Yoda do you like better - impish jerk or serious teacher?

JediTricks
01-13-2006, 06:28 PM
I notice that the behavior from Yoda I think of most is when he's first giving Luke grief, before he's revealed that Luke has badly underestimated the little gnome who is really a Jedi master. Yoda's taunting of the heroes, crazy laughing, fighting with R2, tearing trhough Luke's belongings and eating his rations -- that guy is the best IMO, his "mmm? eh heh heh heh!" laugh is great, it conveys an almost nastiness that's masking wisdom.

The sage Yoda is good too, but it's almost a little too straightforward by comparison, very much a teacher that does more teaching through words than experience and behavior. It's all good here too, but the character becomes less interesting as the lessons take center stage.

(this thread discounts the Yoda of the prequels, that of a hard-headed Jedi Council Member and later a Columbian killer attack frog.)

JimJamBonds
01-14-2006, 12:55 AM
I like the Yoda we first see in ESB, when despite his size he is a major ahole!

Kidhuman
01-14-2006, 01:11 AM
Maybe living in solitude, drove him crazy. After 18 years, he interacts with another human

El Chuxter
01-14-2006, 01:16 AM
It makes you wonder what the little booger thought when he saw Anakin's old droid, doesn't it?

Ah, the convoluted coinkidinks of the prequels.

Kidhuman
01-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Imagine if he would have seen Chewbacca.....

El Chuxter
01-14-2006, 01:21 AM
I foresee some really serious re-writing of EU in the next couple of years. Artoo's finally spilling the beans on Padme's identity some 35 years post-Endor, because he's still programmed to keep it secret, but you know when Luke told everybody where he'd been chilling during the events of ESB, Chewie would've immediately have said, "Dude, I know that guy!"

Kidhuman
01-14-2006, 01:23 AM
Did Luke ever mention Yoda's name?

JimJamBonds
01-14-2006, 01:25 AM

Sure he did....... to Obi Wan. :D

El Chuxter
01-14-2006, 01:26 AM
No reason to believe he didn't. In EU, it's more or less common knowledge a few years after Endor that Luke trained with Yoda, so Chewie would've definitely have known that.

The ANH and ESB Infinities comics are pretty much negated; even if they were both "What Ifs...?" they both involve Chewie meeting Yoda face-to-face.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Which Yoda do you like better - impish jerk or serious teacher?

(this thread discounts the Yoda of the prequels, that of a hard-headed Jedi Council Member and later a Columbian killer attack frog.)I think that all the great teachers of the world have to be impish jerks AND serious teachers. Luke was failing the test in ESB.

YODA: "A powerful Jedi Master I am, oozing with the Force. If even 1/10 of his father this guy is, sense me right off the bat he should."
LUKE: [breeze blowing through head] "Uhh..."
YODA: "Okay, what planet did we send his sister to?"

And Yoda was a little impish in the Prequels, of course.

Kidhuman
01-14-2006, 02:12 PM

He actually does mention it to Han on Hoth whe nHan finds him and Luke is Babbling...

Ben......Dagobah...Yoda

Bobby Fett
01-14-2006, 09:15 PM
LUKE: [breeze blowing through head] "Uhh..."

A MASTERPIECE OF WIT! Thanks for sharing! lol lol :thumbsup:

JediTricks
01-15-2006, 04:17 PM
And Yoda was a little impish in the Prequels, of course.Hmm, I thought Yoda was just a little bit of a jerk in the prequels. :p

Luke's initial failure with Yoda was that he grossly underestimated the little green imp while totally misinterpretting what it means to be a Jedi. If Luke hadn't pieced it all together when Obi-Wan came along, Yoda's next move would have been to relieve himself in the X-wing pilot seat.

Darth Jax
01-22-2006, 11:45 AM

he mentions yoda's name once (and dagobah several times) in his near comatose state on hoth when han is saving his bacon and shoving him into the tauntaun. you'd think so han and chewie are thick as thieves han might mention to chewie and the others when luke heads off in another direction where he was going, and who he was hoping to find.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-29-2006, 09:53 AM
he mentions yoda's name once (and dagobah several times) in his near comatose state on hoth when han is saving his bacon and shoving him into the tauntaun. you'd think so han and chewie are thick as thieves han might mention to chewie and the others when luke heads off in another direction where he was going, and who he was hoping to find.
Hmm... let's recount Han's priority list:
1) Escaping Hoth alive.
2) Escaping Hoth alive, with Leia and Chewie, too.
3) Escaping Hoth alive, with Leia and Chewie, too, and the Falcon in one piece (OK, and Threepio).
4) Realizing his feelings for Leia.
5) Fixing the Falcon again.
6) Still fixing the Falcon again.
7) Finding a safe system to repair it.
8) Getting rid of mynocks
9) Washing his hands (hey, they were dirty, too, he said)
1,138) Remembering some mumbled words from Luke while he was gutting a dead tauntaun with a weapon he may have never used himself before in order to set up a temporary tent in a driving snowstorm while night was falling.
1,139) Recalling his conversation with Chewbacca about his days in the Clone Wars working with Jedi generals and how they blasted away in escape pods to hide on swampy jungle worlds.

Uh, I'd say he probably has little memory of those names.

tagmac
01-30-2006, 11:27 PM
And if you wanna go by the original novel of ESB, I believe Han and Leia did hear Luke mention the words "Yoda" and "Dagobah," but didn't understand what any of it meant and simply wrote it off as a symptom of Luke hallucinating from being out in the cold.