PDA

View Full Version : General Veers

sith_killer_99
01-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Well, I recently found the second wave, most of it anyway. With that I will begin my review with General Veers.

Sculpt: A+ As with other Imperial Officers the sculpt for this guy is fantastic. The cap is sculpted to his head as is the case with all the other officers. The rest of the figure is likewise sculpted as a typical officer. The one little added bonus with this figure is the sculpted blaster holster which I find works quite well. The face is a reasonable likeness and I was pleased with the results. The bottom line is, considering past Imperial Officers it would have been difficult for Hasbro to get this one wrong.:D

Articulation: B- The articulation on this figure is in keeping with other Imperial Officers. He has swivel joints at the boots (knee) but lacks the "ball" joints seen in many of the "Pilot" figures. Hip articulation is standard. Hip articulation allows him to turn left or right. Shoulder articulation is the standard up and down, again no "ball" joint. He has swivel elbows and wrists as with other officers. The head joint is the now familiar "ball" type joint which allows for up/down and left/right positioning.

Accessories: B The good General comes with a standard blaster, which I noted earlier can easily be placed in his holster.He also comes with a removable helmet which looks quite good considering it goes over his molded cap. The body armor plate fits well enough and stays on very well, however it does appear a bit bulky when he is wearing it.

Overall A- As an huge fan of Imperial bad guys I am thankful to add General Veers to my collection. This is a great figure!:love:

Kidhuman
01-13-2006, 07:31 PM
I liked this figure finding it today. I like the mold and the snap on armor. I would give it a B

bobafrett
01-13-2006, 11:19 PM
I picked one up, but had to place it on lay away. Almost bought a second Veers to open, but left it, hoping I will see one again sometime. I think I was most excited about this figure out of the wave, Veers and the Power Droid!

TheDarthVader
01-14-2006, 10:25 PM
I have enjoyed my General Veers figure. This figure has an excellent sculpt to go with the accurate paint. The articulation is fine in my book. I give the figure a solid A. I am definitely going to get doubles, and this veers is a huge improvement over the AT-AT "generic" veers.

B.
TDV

Sith Lord 0498
01-16-2006, 01:43 PM
My only complaint is I really wish they would've given him ball-jointed shoulders and elbows as well as knee articulation.

That being said...this figure ROCKS!!! I love how the snap-on armor attaches, and it stays on very well. The helmet fits well over the cap as well. The blaster holster is a nice touch too. All in all, definitely a vast improvement over the old POTF2 AT-AT pack-in Veers.

Jayspawn
01-17-2006, 11:46 PM
I picked up Veers today, and he's probably one of my favorite figures ever!!! I thought the likeness of Julian Glover was quite good to be specific. The snap-on armor is a major plus with me.

CaptainSolo1138
01-18-2006, 03:12 PM
This was the only figure I had to have and I was so happy when I found it. I give it a solid A, even though the face sculpt (when he has his helmet on) looks like Quentin Tarentino.

JEDIpartner
01-19-2006, 11:16 AM
I'd give it a B- because you can't do anything with his arms. It's either behind or in front. If you try putting them in a unbent position, it looks like he's waiting for a hug!!!! :frus:

jedi master sal
01-19-2006, 11:40 AM
I'd give it a B- because you can't do anything with his arms. It's either behind or in front. If you try putting them in a unbent position, it looks like he's waiting for a hug!!!! :frus:

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. That and the lack of knee articulation a big minuses for me. This figure does have the potential for customs though, so that's one saving grace. I'll still give it a B- though.

jedibear
01-21-2006, 10:18 PM
This is another excellent upgrade that was sorely needed. It's great how, with the snap-on armor and the helmet (the works & looks excellent) it's almost like two figures (in fact, if I can find another one, I'll get it for displaying both ways on my ESB shelf).
The face scuplt is very good. One common complaint I'm reading here that I don't agree with is the lack of shoulder ball joints thus restricting movement...this is one instance where as far as I'm concerned, less is more. I like the tapered/tailored shoulder..it highlights the crispness of the Imp uniform.

Isn't it interesting how Hasbro has really done a good job on Imp Officers the last few years? With the good job done on Ozzel, Motti, the Imp Officer, the TIE Pilot and now Veers & the new AT-AT Driver, I'm ready to see a re-do of Piett, Tarkin (ANH version) and hopefully Moff Jerjerrod before all's said n' done...

Devo
01-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Ball joint shoulders on an Imperial Officer would be unthinkable for me. I agree with Jedibear on that point.

I also agree with jedipartnr's remark on the arms although its not something I expect to lose sleep over.

Its a great figure although I think his hair is too dark and not detailed enough - it looks a bit like a Lego man's hairpiece. Also it appears that Hasbro have once again changed the shade and texture of the imperial uniform. Veers marks a return to the darker shade and smoother appearance of Motti, Piett and Tarkin. Ozzel's lighter shade and lined textures were seemingly a one-off. Just an annoying bit of inconsistency IMO. Or am I just not very observant - is Ozzels uniform a lighter shade of green in the film?

JEDIpartner
01-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Oh, I'm all for not having ball joints on the Imperial officers as well. I just don't necessarily feel that the upper arms should have been placed so far away from the torso at that angle. The other issue is that Veers should have been designed to sit since he is the technical co-pilot in the AT-AT toy. I bought a second one and sliced up the sides of his "skirt". :)

plasticfetish
01-29-2006, 05:19 AM
Just added to the Database is a set of General Veers photos...
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4393&page=2

Also added is something new. There are some side-by-side shots with the figure and images from the movie.

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=16092&cat=4393
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=16093&cat=4393
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=16094&cat=4393

Devo
01-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Hmm. I forgot there was rear shots of Veers in the film. Now the lack of armour on the figure's back annoys me.

Slicker
01-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Hmm. I forgot there was rear shots of Veers in the film. Now the lack of armour on the figure's back annoys me.I immediately thought that when I got home with Veers. They could've given him 2 separate snap together pieces to form the whole chest plate.

JEDIpartner
02-03-2006, 08:41 AM
I'm no so bothered by that as I am by the fact that he can't sit. Bad Hasbro!!

TIE Pilot
02-03-2006, 05:42 PM
I just got this figure in the mail today, and was quite pleased with it. I thought the lack of a back for the armor would bother me.. and it does, just not quite as much as I thought it would.

The helmet was terribly warped in the package, but after bending and playing around with it, I got it back in decent shape.

The holster kinda bugs me.. it just wasn't made for the blaster he came with.

Oh and just to be a li'l nitpicky.. why is the trim of his rank badge painted white? Did they run out of silver paint? Not a big deal really.. but it does stand out when you place him next to other Imperial officers.

Anyhow.. I've been waiting since 1980 for a decent Veers figure, so I'm pretty happy. It's a not a great figure, but it's very good.

DARKLORD_67
02-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Ooooh, Boy. I can see it now. You guys are gonna HATE me!!

Here goes nuthin'...

I think that Hasbro's General Veers is generally-speaking a nice looking action figure... certainly an improvement over the POTF II Veers pack-in with the AT-AT from 1998. Also his height DOES appear to be correct as compared to the actor in the film. (Veers was tall).

This action figure contains a sufficient amount of articulation for the character in my opinion.

I know that some of you would have liked articulated knees for Veers. Well, if they had done them in a way that was well hidden, then I certainly would not have minded. However it just does not bother me that his knees do not bend. General Veers was NEVER seen sitting in the film. Either when reporting to Vader (prior to the battle of Hoth) or in the AT-AT Command Cockpit, the General is always STANDING. Notice how he turns to give the order to the Snowtrooper behind him ("All troops will debark for ground assualt"), and then steps forward to tell his drivers ("Prepare to target the main generator.") He is able to do this because he is STANDING. I'm not crazy about his arm positions when un-folded. But to me, that's a minor trade-off for the "Imperial parade-rest" pose that seems to work so well for imperials.

Now those were the action figure's "good points" as I see them.

There ARE, however, some mis-steps with this hotly anticipated action figure that (for me) disqualify it as one that I would EVER buy:

1) Firstly, I do not care for the "Quentin Tarantino-esque" face sculpt. Some of you see a resemblance to Tarantino, some of you do not. For me, it is comically and plainly evident. There is just no arrogance or malice in that face sculpt that I can see. General Veers (as played by Julian Glover) had a bit of a sneer about him that was... nasty.. icy... ruthless. It's totally absent here (in my opinion).

2) Secondly, the AT-AT Command Battle helmet on this figure looks somewhat warped and ill-fitting. So I'm less than thrilled with that. What gives? The OTC Han Solo: AT-ST Driver helmet was nice and sturdy and it kept it's shape perfectly. There was no need for this.

As a side NOTE: I do wish Hasbro would STOP making action figure accessories out of soft Chewing gum. But I digress...

3) Thirdly, if this action figure was intended to be one with interchangeable outfits, then it should have done so WITHOUT "cheats"! Otherwise, release two separate figures in the two different outfits!!

What "cheats" am I refering to? Well...

a) The imperial officer's cap on this figure is NOT removable. For goodness sakes WHY? I doubt sincerely that Veers wore his cap under his AT-AT Command battle helmet!! Making the cap removable on this action figure would have been simple enough, and Hasbro has done it before (see POTJ Bespin Guard). To me, that's unacceptable. This is an "action figure" that is supposedly designed to be re-dressed. THAT seems to be it's main special "feature" (if it has one). Then LET him be fully re-dressable.

b) Then there's his AT-AT Command Battle Armor: The BELT armor portion attached to his CHEST plate I could almost forgive (even though they SHOULD be TWO separate pieces). But the thing that I simply COULD NOT believe... that I COULD NOT FATHOM... the thing that ultimately made me leave this guy right on the peg, was the fact that this figure was released with WITH NO BACK HALF TO HIS BATTLE ARMOR??????? Are you friggin' kidding me???!!! For an action figure this eagerly anticipated, I find that insulting. This character is seen from the front AND from behind in the Empire Strikes Back film! No back-half to his armor is unacceptable and LAZY!!!!! Even the POTF II Veers had a back-half to his armor!!

I say again: This is an action figure whose main "feature" is "dress-up"!!! And arguably, his MOST important "garment" was that AT-AT Command Battle Armor! When looked at from the stand-point of "collectors" who pose their figures in dioramas, OR when looked at from the standpoint of kids who actually play and re-create scenes from the movies, it is Veer's BATTLE ARMOR GEAR that most reveals him as a VISUALLY interesting character. Hasbro should have gotten that right !

I mean, what did the Hasbro designers do? Did they just throw up their hands at the design meeting for this figure and say, "Ah this figure does not NEED a back-half for his armor. The collector geeks won't care." Come on, Hasbro. That's not fair.

Then there's the overly bulky holster that sits strangely under his arm. Y' know, there was really no need to have a bulky, working side-holster with this figure. Veers is never seen carrying a side-arm in the movie, so this figure really didn't need one, much less a holster to carry it in. It just mars the "look" of what should be a regal character.

I know that for some folks these are "minor" points. And in the grander scheme of things... they ARE. This IS only a toy we're talking about here, after all.

However, I believe that Hasbro should be encouraged to IMPROVE their products (and generally-speaking, they HAVE!). But they should also hear from us the few times when we are disappointed with their products. We are the CONSUMERS! We have that right. Regarding General Veers, they will certainly hear from me. They will hear from me on these message boards and they will hear from me with my LACK of retail dollars for this particular product. I KNOW my 7 bucks won't be missed by them, but I certainly won't buy a figure that I consider to be sub-standard... especially when measured against Hasbro's own Excellent previous standards.

I'll put it this way: How many of YOU would be happy to have a POTFII "Attack R5-D4" as the ONLY R5 in YOUR collection WITHOUT a better one? That figure was a rotten, smelly piece of cow manure, even for 1996, and we ALL knew it!! The point is, we (the CONSUMERS) are finally getting a better R5-D4 later this year because for years, some of us let our voices of displeasure be heard regarding that particular character. We DIDN'T just let Hasbro off the hook with "Well, I don't really care about that because I never take my figures off the card" OR "Well, no finished back to the figure doesn't bother me because I only display him from this front side."

Yes, this version of General Veers is (generally) an improvement over the POTF II Veers from 1997. There's NO doubt about that. BUT, he is NOT as much of an improvement as he could and SHOULD be... especially THIS late is Hasbro's game. This figure really should have been better!! Just look at what AWESOME stuff Hasbro is capable of (See AT-AT Driver)!

Anyway, that's my Veers rant. Me? I guess I'll just stick to my custom General Maximillian Veers figure from last year. His base body is (obviously) an Admiral Ozzel, but I made him taller by performing some surgery on his legs to make them longer. He may look slightly large-headed in this photo, but its due to a wide-angle lens distortion:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/CUSTOM%20STAR%20WARS%20Action%20Figures/GeneralMaximillianVeers.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/CUSTOM%20STAR%20WARS%20Action%20Figures/GeneralVeersArmor.jpg

plasticfetish
02-06-2006, 11:23 AM
That's a nice custom. I'm really impressed by that.

I have to agree with most of your points. The helmet thing doesn't bother me so much, mine snaps on and looks just fine. (I can see how Hasbro wanted to use the hat to help lock the helmet in place.) But no back armor and a holster that doesn't hold it's blaster very well is a bad thing. The head sculpt and paint job being "off" is a minus also, but I'm willing to let that slide -- we should be used to that by now I suppose, but I know they can do better.

My one other complaint... or rather "concern" is that the elbow joints are really kind of flimsy. I can see why the shoulders are angled like they are, to avoid hitting the chest armor, but for this figure a ball joint elbow would have been nice.

They cut some corners with this one, but in most cases it seemed to have to do with making it a simpler play toy -- with less parts to snap on/off and lose. Just making it easier for kids (those kids that have been waiting for this Veers figure all their lives. :rolleyes: ) to take his armor on and off.

So yeah, it isn't perfect. It's a good figure -- fun to play with and it looks pretty nice sitting their with a Snowtrooper and an AT-AT Driver or two, but it's not perfect. (With a little more effort it could have been nearly perfect.)

I'd still recommend buying one. If anything, it'll give you a better starting point for your next custom. :)

DARKLORD_67
02-06-2006, 12:14 PM
That's a nice custom. I'm really impressed by that.

Thanks, pal!! Your compliment is greatly appreciated! Really makes my day!! :thumbsup:

I have to agree with most of your points. The helmet thing doesn't bother me so much, mine snaps on and looks just fine. (I can see how Hasbro wanted to use the hat to help lock the helmet in place.)

They might have been thinking that. But I actually think it was probably more a consideration of one less part to have to tool and mold. Besides, (as OTC AT-ST Han Solo proved) That helmet will stay on just fine with a bare head (if engineered properly). There was no need to have the added bulk of a hat to help lock it on.

Also, the helmet I made for my custom Veers sits VERY snugly on his bare head even when I engineered him to have a removable cap.

But no back armor and a holster that doesn't hold it's blaster very well is a bad thing. The head sculpt and paint job being "off" is a minus also, but I'm willing to let that slide -- we should be used to that by now I suppose, but I know they can do better.

THAT'S my point too. We ALL know they can do better. But a large number of us collectors are tolerating this occasional type of laziness from Hasbro and "letting it slide". WHY? I say demand MORE from them... NOT less!! Demand BETTER products from Hasbro... NOT worse ones!! And when they turn out a bad product, DON'T just accept it. Hasbro is making a HANDSOME penny from the Star Wars licence! As reported on the "latest news" feature of the home page of sir steve's guide, Hasbro reported STRONG fourth quarter and full year earnings for 2005. Just HOW did they do this?? On YOUR coin and MINE... THAT'S how!

There is NO excuse for the fact that the best (neatest) STAR WARS action figure PAINT applications thus far have been on the POTJ line from 2001 !! They have arguably gotten worse since then.

So yeah, it isn't perfect. It's a good figure -- fun to play with and it looks pretty nice sitting their with a Snowtrooper and an AT-AT Driver or two...

Yeah. As long as you DON'T look at him from BEHIND.:thumbsup:

Devo
02-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Hmm. They definitely didn't go the whole way on this figure according to the standards you lay down with your custom DARKLORD - removeable cap, removeable helmet, removeable full torso armour and removeable belt seperate from the armour. I'm not quite as tough on the likeness as you are although as you may have read in my posts I don't like his hair in the least.

Thats a custom of yours I've commented on before. Sometimes when I see people's customs of characters which Hasbro subsequently make the customs become terribly quaint - but not this one. I would still buy that as a retail figure. The Valorum head was a great choice.

But PlasticFetish is right - you should still consider buying this figure if only as custom fodder. I personally prefer the shade and smoother texture of this figure's uniform to that of Ozzel. I wonder why they deviated from the norm with that Saga figure. Look at the colour of the uniform on Tarkin, Piett, Motti and now Veers. I hate inconsistency - Ozzel being the odd one out. I await Moff Jerrjerrod with great curiosity.

DARKLORD_67
02-06-2006, 05:55 PM
But PlasticFetish is right - you should still consider buying this figure if only as custom fodder. I personally prefer the shade and smoother texture of this figure's uniform to that of Ozzel. I wonder why they deviated from the norm with that Saga figure. Look at the colour of the uniform on Tarkin, Piett, Motti and now Veers. I hate inconsistency - Ozzel being the odd one out. I await Moff Jerrjerrod with great curiosity.

Boy, I know what you mean!! I HATE inconsistenty too!! BUT since Ozzel was the first sculpt of an imperial officer's uniform that I actually liked, he was the one I went with. Tarkin and Piett were pinchy-waisted and had their skirts molded in as part of their legs. Yuk! Motti had the separate skirt, but he was kind of hulking.

As to uniform colors, it was recently pointed out to me that the olive imperial officers uniforms actually were DIFFERENT SHADES in the films!
Someone mentioned that the higher ranking Death Star officers like Motti and Tarkin actually had darker olive uniforms than the lower ranking imperials and the officers of the Imperial Starfleet.
:thumbsup: