PDA

View Full Version : AT-AT Driver

sith_killer_99
01-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Another great Imperial bad guy!

Sculpt: A+ The basic figure itself appears to be a kind of kit bashed re-sculp of the "Pilot" figures. He's no shortie. The figure is far superior to the POTF2 AT-AT Driver, he is not as "buff" and has much more detail from helmet to boots. The chest box is very well done and the helmet is very detailed, shoulder armor is also well done and has a slight "lift" from the arms to give it a realistic appearance. He also has the "hang down" straps all the other pilot figures come with.

Articulation: A+ As I mentioned the AT-AT Driver is basically a "Pilot" figure and he comes with all the articulation to include "ball" type knees that bend and rotate. Hip articulation is standard, however there is no waiste articulation. Shoulders also have the "ball" shoulder joints and he has standard swivel elbow and wrist articulation. The Helmet has a ball joint and the hoses are pliable enough to allow full movement easily.

Accessories: B All he come with is a standard blaster, though there was little else he could come with, so I'm not complaining.:D

Overall A+ I love this figure and will probably buy at least a dozen of these guys!:thumbsup:

Kidhuman
01-13-2006, 08:33 PM
I was amazed how good this figure looked. It reminded me of the TIE Pilot when he came out. He looks so bright and colorful.

plasticfetish
01-15-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm really glad to hear that!

I don't think I ever bought more than one POTF2 AT-AT Driver because I was just so unhappy with the big chest thing. I'll be looking forward to scoring a bunch of these also. :)

JEDIpartner
01-15-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm only getting one since only one actually fits in the cockpit of the AT-AT along with General Veers. *shrug*

vulcantouch
01-17-2006, 11:20 PM
they musta assigned Mister Botch-it to sculpt this one, as he's actually worse than the previous sculpt from several years back :p on paint design the chestbox & imp logos are noticeably inferior (and the back too? ain't opened one yet so i can't tell), as are sculpting on the chin & forehead nodules. and he's got the same long-torso/short-leg proportions that made the saga tiepilot such a yutz. each inexcusable enough, but worst of all is the helmet's facial composition. the upper eyeline slants down in the center (not straight across) at all but a high tilt, and the chin nodules are stretched so far apart it looks like a cross between a meany-graffitti caricature of an atat driver and if The Comic Book Guy distorted a don post helm of this by shoving his giant head into it :p hasbro should only let the guy who sculpted commtech stormy's head handle helmets, and make the bozo responsible for This stick to ewok pelvises & whatever other parts wouldn't suffer so much from his artless eye :p
vt

Jayspawn
01-19-2006, 10:08 AM
The POTF2 version was awesome so I cant wait to find this one! AT-AT Drivers always get me excited.

jedi master sal
01-19-2006, 11:42 AM
It's not a bad figure. I'd go so far as to say good, but NOT great. The biggest detractor with me is the faceplate. It just seems a little to scruched to me. That aside, the articulation is much better than expected. I'll get a few of this one to bolster the armies. I give it an A-

Jayspawn
01-19-2006, 03:38 PM
I just found to today! I give it a Woohoo!

jedibear
01-21-2006, 10:08 PM
I agree with sith_killer...
this is one killer figure!
At first glance, this looks like some kit-bashing with earlier releases, but it features an all-new sculpt It's definately an upgrade compared to the buffed earlier version...utilizing the same superior articulation and fine, detailed sculpt similiar to the care taken with '04's TIE Fighter Pilot along with the leg straps and new detailed helmet make this a winner...

An excellent addition to anyone's ESB display!

Sentinel18725
01-22-2006, 08:50 AM
What is the deal with the leg straps? what purpose do they serve in the Star Wars universe? I guess I never really understood their purpose. Are they based off of something that is around now.

Jayspawn
01-23-2006, 09:20 AM
The AT-AT Drivers were pulled from the Empire's best pilots as the walkers are hard to manuever. They're a flight harness. Not that the AT-ATs fly, but the Drivers still wear them as part of the pilot uniform.

timmae
01-23-2006, 10:00 PM
really cool figure. i got me one today. looks better in person carded than in photos. there is nothing not to like about this figure. if so don't buy it. it will not be hanging too long.:thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
02-03-2006, 08:55 AM
I ended up getting a second one since I liked him so much. :D

DARKLORD_67
02-09-2006, 09:24 AM
I was fortunate enough to get 14 of these guys for my seven POTF II AT-AT walkers.

This is an extraordinarily well-executed figure by Hasbro, and I congratulate them on their effort. The detail and deco on this guy is astounding!! Thank you Thank you!!!

My ONLY gripe is that I wish HAsbro would keep the height of these guys consistent!!! These Drivers are short guys. They should be at least as tall as their stormtrooper cousins, and they are NOT!!!

Darth Cruel
02-09-2006, 03:02 PM
This IS a great figure. But not an A+. The sculpt is imperfect, but that is not important to me. As I always say...doesn't have to be movie-perfect, just a good representation if the character and this figure does that as well as any more movie-accurately sculpted one would. And the detail with the leg straps and the helmet hoses really gives this figure some nice detail.

The articulation is what gets me. This figure is done as well as it needs to be for it's purpose. But I still like and want the super articulation. HAd this figure been done with chest articulation, ball-jointed elbows, ball-jointed hips, and articulated ankles, it would have hit a high 90s grade with me. I am still giving it a grade of 80% as it is plenty good enough for an AT-AT Driver.

Snowtrooper
09-15-2006, 12:14 PM
I know this figure has been out for awhile, but since I'm a newbie, I thought I'd chime in on my thoughts of this figure.

This is still, thus far, my favorite figure of the TSC line, possibly of all time. The sculpt is dead on and has really amazing detail to it. Especially when you look at the helmet and the chest box. Some have complained that the head looks like its scrunched, but I guess I don't see that. It also has excellent articulation, although ball jointed elbows would have been nice. I have purchased 15 of these throughout the year. I'm pretty much a sucker when it comes to AT-AT drivers. Seems like you can never have too many of them. There's not much they could do to improve this figure, except for the ball jointed elbows and maybe a holster for his gun.

bigbarada
09-16-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm also a little late on posting my thoughts on this figure. These guys have always been one of my favorites ever since I can remember and this figure is probably the closest to a "perfect" Star Wars figure that we will ever see.

The helmet sculpt is so perfect it's almost like a mini-prop replica, the added detail of the hoses and leg straps really add to what could have been just a "pack-in" quality figure. In a way the most obscure Star Wars characters end up with the best action figures, since Kenner/Hasbro have always known that for these background characters to sell, they would really have to go the extra mile in term of detail, accuracy and just overall awesomeness.

Look at your average Anakin or Obi-Wan figure compared to figures like the AT-AT Driver, Amanaman, Ephant Mon and FX-7.

The only possible improvement would have been ball-joints on the elbows, but the elbow-cuts really do what they need to do and don't interfere with this guy fitting inside the AT-AT cockpit. I actually have two of these guys inside my AT-AT and General Veers hangs out in the body with Darth Vader.

Now we just need a more in-scale AT-AT for these guys to ride around in.

Overall rating: 10.5 out of 10 for me! :thumbsup:

BTW, I really love the fact that these guys are shorter than Stormtroopers, because it completely shatters the whole prequel clone notion. For those of you who are just that in love with the prequels, then they can still be clones, they're just not Jango-clones.:p

Snowtrooper
09-16-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm glad they didn't try to kitbash this figure like they did with the snowtrooper. They really went above and beyond on this one.

I think the elbow cuts are just fine too. I was just nitpicking a bit, since we have gotten alot of troopers with ball jointed elbows recently. What do you think about this figure having a holster? I really liked the way it turned out on the DS Gunner and thought it would look nice on this figure too. At least he'd have a place to put his weapon.

I thought the AT-AT we've been getting is alright. It would look better though if they would resculpt the head so its more movie accurate. But that will probably never happen.

bigbarada
09-19-2006, 12:32 AM
I'm glad they didn't try to kitbash this figure like they did with the snowtrooper. They really went above and beyond on this one.

I think the elbow cuts are just fine too. I was just nitpicking a bit, since we have gotten alot of troopers with ball jointed elbows recently. What do you think about this figure having a holster? I really liked the way it turned out on the DS Gunner and thought it would look nice on this figure too. At least he'd have a place to put his weapon.

I thought the AT-AT we've been getting is alright. It would look better though if they would resculpt the head so its more movie accurate. But that will probably never happen.

Well, I could do without the holster, since I think it would interfere too much with the figure's ability to sit. These guys actually work pretty well without any weapon at all.

A more accurate AT-AT would be a dream come true for me, something that I have been wanting for over two decades (since I first realized how inaccurate the AT-AT toy really was). It wouldn't be hard for Hasbro to do, they could start by scanning one of the models and then start reworking it from there.

I'm not thrilled with the Endor paint-job on this new AT-AT, but figured it was the cheapest and quickest way to get my hands on a new one (I had to get rid of my vintage AT-AT when I moved about five years ago).

Old Fossil
09-22-2006, 12:13 PM
I agree that the AT-AT Driver is one of the high points of the Saga line. I've ended up with 5 of these guys over the past year, and wouldn't mind picking up another if I found one on the pegs. It's almost like I'm addicted to them (more so than I normally am with SW figures). I was a big fan of the POTF2 driver, but the helmets on mine had yellowed with age (not sure why, no one smokes in my house), and a side-by-side comparison showed the new Driver to be quite superior. I DID keep the old ones, though, to sit in the AT-ATs, where they serve a useful function (in theory) but will not be seen.