PDA

View Full Version : NFL Playoffs(merged)

JetsAndHeels
12-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Playoff time is just about here, so I figured it would be fun to break down some of the scenarios and how the teams involved look going into the postseason.

AFC

First of all, I just want to say that right now if I am leading a team into the playoffs this year, the team I do not want to face is the New England Patriots. Why? Because this team is now back to firing on all cylinders and they are looking like the defending world champs again. The offense is pretty good of course, but to me their defense is what impresses me. They have a great front 7 and have been able to overcome injury better than any other team this year. Names like Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, and even Ellis Hobbs are reasons why they are dangerous. Belicheck is a great coach. He may not be the nicest guy, and other teams' fans probably think hes a royal A-hole, but this guy flat out knows how to coach. That is how you win games in this league. Forget being nice...forget whether or not you are going to hurt someone's feelings...do the job the best you can and no matter what the course of action you have to take win the game.

The Colts are in..they have been in for a while, but now they are going to be playing on more of an emotional high than anything else, with coach Dungy losing his son and the impact it has had on him and the entire team. Well now he is back with them and I have no doubt that their resolve has never been more clear. The only thing I feel that may hinder them a bit is if they do indeed have to meet the Patriots again (see above)...New England is in Peyton Manning's head. He hasn't beat them in the playoffs. You know that should these 2 meet again in the postseason its going to be in his mind and he is going to have to answer the call and perform. If this scenario happens and they knock off New England, there is your super bowl winner in my opinion.

The Denver Broncos clinched their first round bye, and they will be hosting the higher seed wild card winner. Now I think Denver is a great team this year, and Shanahan is a good coach, but I just don't know how I feel about them getting deep into the playoffs. Sure they can do it, but alot of that depends on Jake Plummer's play. If he performs like he did earlier in the season and keeps his INT's under control and makes good decisions, the rest will fall into place. If the opposite happens, it doesn't look good.

Jacksonville holds the first wild card spot. They have a chance. I like this team. Good leadership in Del Rio, a good tough qb in Leftwich, and some nice talent on defense. They do have the advantage of owning the tie breaker over Pittsburgh, so things look good for them.

Pittsburgh holds the #2 wild card spot, which means they can enter the playoffs with a win or a kansas city loss/tie, or a San Diego win.

Kansas City can get in if win, Pittsburgh loses, or San Diego loses/ties.

NFC

Seattle is in. With their win last Saturday, they clinched a first round bye and home field advantage. They will host the lower seed wild card winner.
I think this is the team that represents the NFC in the Super Bowl. Hasselbeck is a great qb (actually i think he is very underrated) and Shaun Alexander is probably this year's mvp. Enough said.

Da Bears have been a great story this season (bobafrett this is for you my friend). I think Lovie Smith is coach of the year, and I absolutely love the way they play. They have the best defense in the league, and they have absolutely dominated every opposing offense they have faced. If I am a fan of another nfc team in the playoffs then I do not want my team facing the Bears. Their offense is not spectacular, but with Grossman back in and playing fairly well I do not see this as a problem to them. Heck, Kyle Orton has almost duplicated what Ben Roethlisberger did last year with the Steelers but nobody talks about it. He has won the games he needed to, keeping his team alive and well heading into the playoffs.
Once again, Lovie Smith is coach of the year in my book. Great turnaround and a great story in Chicago. Remember the 2000 Ravens? How was their offense? They had a dominant defense...oh yeah, they won the Super Bowl that season.

The Buccaneers lead the NFC South, and unlike the 2 previous teams I discussed here they must win or have some outside help to clinch.
Dallas must lose/tie, Washington must lose/tie, or Giants loss/tie would help them clinch. They are a good team...Gruden is a great coach, but I don't see them advancing too far this year.

Giants lead the NFC east, and they have already clinched their playoff spot. The only uncertainty here is if they will win the NFC east. In order to do that, they must win or have Washington lose or tie. Since they have already guaranteed their spot in the playoffs they may not even gun for that NFC east title. They will host the first seed wild card team in the meadowlands.

The Panthers will get in with a win, or Dallas loses/ties or Washington loses/ties. They also can clinch the NFC south, but chances are these are the last concerns on John Fox's mind. They head into the Georgia Dome Sunday, and let me tell you this will be a great game to watch. I was at the first meeting earlier in Charlotte and it was quite a game...this is one of the best rivalries in the NFC, and no doubt the Falcons will be looking to play the role of spoiler on Sunday.

The Redskins hold the #2 wild card spot. Since they swept Dallas this year they hold the head to head tiebreaker with them. If they beat the Eagles Sunday they can clinch. If they cannot win they are still in if Dallas loses or ties.
Let me just say Joe Gibbs is one heck of a coach. One small example of this evident to me is how Santana Moss has emerged as a true superstar wideout. In his 4 years with the Jets, not one coach was willing to push him and get in his face. That resulted in sloppy play and mediocre results. Now that Gibbs is in control and calling the shots, Moss has turned out to be a true playmaker and has learned what it means to be in Gibbs' system. Add in Mark Brunell (who I still think is a good qb) and TE Chris Cooley youve got some good offense. Redskins fans should be excited.

Last but not least we have the Dallas Cowboys. They can get into the playoffs with a win or a Panthers loss. Also if they win and Tampa Bay and Giants both lose they are in. Chances are they can take care of business themselves, since they are facing off against the Rams this week.
Just because the boys lost to Washington twice in bad fashion, don't count them out....Parcells is comfortable in the playoffs and he will have his team ready. Barring a monumental fallout or collapse, I think they will at least advance into the 2nd round.

Well, it should be alot of fun to break this down even further as things develop. Feel free to add to what I have said, disagree or down right call me ignorant lol. I love talking about it.

Ok, time for me to sit back now....Keyboard is a smokin. :D

DarthQuack
12-29-2005, 11:34 PM
Good deal...my hopes are that the G-men should be able to take care of Oakland and win the NFC East outright and not worry about having to travel to Washington if the worse case scenario happens. I still don't buy Seattle being that great of a team, honestly I can say that because the Giants should have beat them a month ago but we all know we can thank Jay Feely for that. My superbowl matchup would have to be Giants and Colts....do I think this will happen? No..but here's hoping!

Kidhuman
12-29-2005, 11:38 PM
Its gonna be an all Manning Superbowl, with Peyton laying a smack down

Slicker
12-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Its gonna be an all Manning Superbowl, with Peyton laying a smack downThat's exactly how I see it. Yeah, they lost fair and square to the Chargers but the game last week against the Seahawks was pretty much given to the 'Hawks. The Colts figured they perfect season was done so they rested nearly everybody. They're just too dominant a team, both offensively and surprisingly defensively, to NOT win it all. I'm a Colts fan or trying to jump on any bandwagon, *cough*wherearealloftheseEaglesfansfrom2yearsago*c ough*, just speaking the truth.

JetsAndHeels
12-31-2005, 09:36 PM
*UPDATE*

-Denver beats San Diego (meaningless game for Denver but Kansas City benefits )

-Pittsburgh must win tomorrow against Detroit or have Cincinnatti beat Kansas City to clinch playoff spot

-Kansas City must beat Cincinnatti and have Pittsburgh lose to Detroit to get in (not likely that both these scenarios play out)

-Giants up 27-21 against Oakland in the 4th quarter (if they win they clinch AFC East)

-Dallas needs win tomorrow night over St Louis or Carolina loss

-Jets need win over Bills to go from totally suck donkeys to officially stink really bad

JetsAndHeels
01-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Definate matchups are now set for the wild card weekend.
They are as follows:

Jacksonville at New England, Saturday 1/7

Washington at Tampa Bay, Saturday 1/7

Carolina at NY Giants, Sunday 1/8

Pittsburgh at Cincinnatti, Sunday 1/8

Anyone care to make some predictions? I will, taking Washington, NY Giants, Pittsburgh, and I will take the Jags to hand New England their early exit from the playoffs.

figrin bran
01-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Definate matchups are now set for the wild card weekend.
They are as follows:

Jacksonville at New England, Saturday 1/7

Washington at Tampa Bay, Saturday 1/7

Carolina at NY Giants, Sunday 1/8

Pittsburgh at Cincinnatti, Sunday 1/8

Anyone care to make some predictions? I will, taking Washington, NY Giants, Pittsburgh, and I will take the Jags to hand New England their early exit from the playoffs.

i'll take NE, Tampa, Carolina and Pitt

UKWildcat
01-02-2006, 08:59 PM
New England

Tampa Bay

NY Giants

Pitt (I think Pitt will win but I want Cinci to)

DarthQuack
01-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Giants
Bucs
Bengals
Patriots

Kidhuman
01-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Skins
G-men(Tiki's appears unstoppable)
Cinci(I hope, hate Pitts.)
and Jacksonville. Tough D there.

kool-aid killer
01-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Im hoping Jacksonville, Washington, Carolina, and Cincinnatti pull through in the first round. But im a Bears fan so im hoping they win the whole thing. Im not entirely sold on them this year, a strong offensive showing in their next game would go a long way towards making me a bigger believer. But theyve got a good future ahead of them.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-03-2006, 11:27 AM
The Steelers lost to J-Ville, Indy, Cincy (and a win), and New England; only AFC playoff team they've not played is Denver. Indy manhandled them, but the others were close. Therefore, I think Pitt gets a slight advantage in the revenge/adjustment column. And the fact that I'm a Pitt backer means I root for them this weekend! :D

Other AFCs and NFCs:
NE over Jac (blowout)
G-Men over Carolina (but this'll be a good close one)
Tampa over Wash. (close in score but not for the game)

We'll see after this week who gets the Bye teams...

figrin bran
01-12-2006, 09:30 PM
i don't like anyone/anything that comes out of USC but i feel bad for Carson Palmer "career threatening" ACL and MCL tears. hopefully he's able to come back from that. i remember years and years ago when i first started following sports, ACL tears were career ending/threatening and then eventually they got to the point where they were only season ending. for this particular injury to be career threatening must mean it was very severe.

i just took a look at espn's 1st mock draft (the first of 1000, i'm sure) and they have the Jets taking Vince Young and the Lions taking a QB though i still say they take Santonio Holmes! ;)

James Boba Fettfield
01-12-2006, 09:48 PM
You're telling all of us in Cincinnati. The Queen City is in love with him, and I hope Carson's optimism is correct regarding his recovery.

Maybe Boomer will come back if things don't go right.

UKWildcat
01-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Carson Palmer was a stud this season and it's a shame it came to an end the way it did. Cinci didn't have a chance of beating Pitt when he went down. He was one of, if not the best QBs in the league this year. I can only be optimistic and hope he makes a full recovery dispite the devastating injury.

Here are the matchups this week and my picks:

Seahawks vs. Skins - Hawks will win (I'm pulling for Skins though)
Broncos vs. Patriots - Pats (you know how Brady is in the post season)
Colts vs. Steelers - Colts (can't stop Manning and The Edge)
Bears vs. Panthers - Hmmmm.... This is a toughy... but I'm going with DA BEARS! (it's going to be an offensive/defensive struggle. Bears D, Panthers O, offset?!?! Bears O, Panthers D, offset?!?!) Should be a good one but I'm guessing the Bears D will come out on top!

figrin bran
01-13-2006, 12:24 AM
if things don't work out with Boomer, there's always Akili Smith! ;)

i'll go with all the same picks as UKWildcat except i'll take Carolina. a lot of people are hyping up Rex Grossman as the "x factor" but he doesn't have any playoff experience and not even much game experience to speak of, having sat out the better part of 2 seasons.

Kidhuman
01-13-2006, 12:50 AM
I will mock firgins picks exactly as is. I think Carolina will stomp the Bears.

jjreason
01-15-2006, 11:56 AM
I know you're all watching. Anyone else want the upstart Bears to somehow win today and get to the NFC Championship? If you're anything like me, you're stuck thinking about the 13-3 Bears team of a couple of years ago and wondering if this current squad is simply a big-time defense disguised as a great team. Myself, I think we're a little more balanced this time, though still a long way from being good offensively. The Baltimore Ravens did prove though that a big time defense can bring home the prize.

Anyone else still got a team in the mix?

Ooops, I started a thread about the NFL playoffs in General Dis. Odds are it's going to be merged in here soon - but I'm rooting for the Bears today and figure their sitting at 50/50 odds. I'm happy they're playing at home, that's for sure.

I was a little disappointed in NE yesterday, but Denver played an awesome game. Seattle was dominant, and should waltz to the Superbowl if Shaun Alexander can be in the lineup.

Kidhuman
01-15-2006, 12:06 PM
I was estatic that NE got bounced. I loved it. I hate them with a passion. Seattle winning was no big suprise. Right now Pitts. just marched down the field and scored, up 7-0. Go Colts....

sith_killer_99
01-15-2006, 12:52 PM
New England is down for the year!

Denver is on their way!

I am hopeful that Denver can stop Pitt at Mile High (Invesco Field). I hate the Steelers as much as I hate the Raiders and Kansas City. It all comes with being a Broncos fan.:D

Denver is always underestimated, but now they have won their first playoff game since John left. Jake is really performing this year, fewer interceptions, etc. I told a co-worker the other day, the Denver NE game was going to come down to one thing...turnovers...the one with the fewest turnovers wins. I was right, now if Denver can keep it up we may walk away with our fist Superbowl since John retired!:D

sith_killer_99
01-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Denver faces Pittsburgh at Mile High

Seattle faces ? at Qwest Field

:D

bobafrett
01-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Denver faces Pittsburgh at Mile High

Seattle faces ? at Qwest Field

Seattle faces the Panthers, my Bears just lost. :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :whip:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-15-2006, 07:31 PM
I feel your pain, Boba. Bears deserved to lose though, as they played like crap. Where was Tillman today? Cos he sure as hell wasn't covering his man!!! Another chicago team destined for glory falls into the gutter. OH, the pain it is to root for Chi-town teams continues, sadly. :cry: :cry:

figrin bran
01-15-2006, 09:23 PM
KH and i were right about that game!

i thought Cover 2 was supposed to prevent guys from getting 200 yards and 2 TD's?? the safeties sure didn't provide much help. don't be too disappointed bears fans - grossman far exceeded my expectations as to how he would perform in this game and with more experience under his belt next season, the team can only get better.

it looks like the super bowl is as wide open as it has been in years...any one of the 4 teams has what it takes to win it all.

UKWildcat
01-15-2006, 11:54 PM
I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that the Colts lost. I'm sure the Colts are all to familiar with the phrase "maybe next year". What is surprising is that they have been one of the best football teams in recent years (argh New England) and yet they can't win a post season game when it counts. What was Peyton's post season record? 3-8 or something? Oh well... maybe next year. :D What the heck was up with that Vandy field goal? That was horrible. And Peyton calling out his O-line? Tssk... Tssk.. Tssk.

I'm not a Steeler fan but more power to them. They did play a really good game, the first half anyways. It seems like all they did in the second half was run the dang ball, which almost cost them the game. They should have let Roethlisberger continue throwing. If they did, the Colts wouldn't of even had a chance and Pitt would have won in a more convincing fashion. Either way, it was a good game and I was hoping Indy was going to win in the end, although they didn't deserve it.

The Panthers... Excellent team that has the potential to win it all, which could depend on the seriousness of D. Foster's injury. However, Goings is a better than average back up who can put up some big numbers (like he did last season). I just don't think anyone can stop S. Smith. He made one of, if not the best defenses look pathetic. Face it, the man is nasty. I too liked what Grossman did, for the most part. He did look uncomfortable at first be he seemed to get into some kind of rhythm. I have all the respect for T. Jones. He had an great year, with exception to a couple injuries(that he played through most of the time) and he kept his job while fending off Benson. Chicago will be back next year, don't worry.

Pitt and Denver... I think Pitt has a really good chance of beating Denver. All they have to do is put the clamps on the Broncos running game and pressure Plummer all night. Basically duplicate what they did against the Colts. Pitt's offense is quite talented and has a ton of ability to score. They just can't let up and allow Denver to hang with them. I'm not thrilled about either team, but this is actually a really good matchup and should be a very exciting game. My early pick is going to Pitt.

Seattle and Carolina... I think the Panthers have got this one won. Seattle's defense is struggling right now and won't be able to keep up with Carolinas offense. If Chicago can't stop or even remotely slow down S. Smith, Seattle won't even have a chance. That matchup is going to be unfair and Smith has all the potential to duplicate what he did in Chicago. Like I said earlier, even if D. Foster is out, Goings has the potential to put up serious numbers and can keep defenses honest. This can spell trouble for Seattle and help S. Smith (like he needs it). Carolinas defense is strong and can cause tons of problems with Seattles offense. Let's not forget about MVP S. Alexander. Even if he is healthy enough to play, I think Carolina can slow him up and force Hasselback to throw. Either way, I give the edge to Carolina's D. Even if Seattle finds some success, they still have to worry about Delhomme and S. Smith. This game should be an excellent one. A lot of health issues to be worked out. I think Carolina has the overall edge and will win.

Of course this is all my speculation and ramblings but Pitt and Carolina in the Super Bowl? Could be a really good/interesting matchup. If this were the case then I'd definitely be pulling for Carolina. I'll be pulling for Carolina anyways, regardless of the matchups.

Sorry about the long read (if you bothered). I'll stop now. :D

jjreason
01-16-2006, 12:23 AM
Baahhhh, I had a bad feeling about that Bears game anyhow. :upset:

I don't begrudge Carolina AT ALL, either, moving the ball that well against Chicago is a victory all in itself. I hope Urlacher really feels this and motivates the other boys to work that hard again next year. Thanks for a way above average season, Bears!

Indy....... I'm stunned. I didn't even watch Vanderjagt kick because I knew he was going to make. I didn't suppose or guess... I knew he was going to make it. He NEVER misses. But he did. I have no problem with the Steelers winning either, more power to them indeed. Next week should be fun.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kidhuman
01-16-2006, 12:27 AM
Odd weekend, Vandy and Adam both miss Feild Goals. They are automatic.

Yes Firgin, we were right about the Bears/Panthers game.

Predictions are Panthers and Broncos hitting the superbowl this year....

figrin bran
01-16-2006, 12:49 AM
i think the Panthers win regardless of whether Shaun Alexander plays or not.

in the AFC, i'll go with Pittsburgh. there's one thing i haven't been able to figure out about Denver all season and it's that somehow Shanahan felt the need to acquire the entire Browns D line from last season and strangely enough, they've played well.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-16-2006, 08:45 AM
I apparently caught a brief case of bipolar disorder yesterday, as my violent mood swings during the Pitt/Indy game revealed. I'll admit going in I was not too confident that the Steelers could pull it off, mainly because of the pre-game smack talking. It's one thing to be confident and have swagger, but to spout all that out in the media like Joey Porter did is dangerous.

Next to the "tuck rule" NE/Oak and "coin toss" Pitt/Det games, that supposedly-not-an-INT overruling was the (in your best Comic Book Guy voice) worst NFL call ever. Where and when did your knee have to affect your ability to intercept a ball when no one touches you? And later, how the heck did Ben reach out and one-arm tackle that DB running with Bettis' fumble. I said (read: yelled and screamed :rolleyes: ) just as Indy was trying to win or tie under 1:00 to go that Drunk Mike V should miss a FG to end the game.

I have been a Tony Dungy fan, and especially after all the good and bad things that happened to him and the team this season, I would not have been angry to see them beat my Steelers, but once all the "stuff" happened during the game, all my thoughts wore black and gold saying "yuns guys." :D

Can we do it next week in Denver? The only team I was afraid of was defeated this weekend, so I say break out the away jerseys and strap on the helmets, fellas!

JetsAndHeels
01-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Sorry to chime in so late here, I am just returning from a weekend at Myrtle Beach.
Wow, what a weekend of football. First off I will say that I am absolutely excstatic (sp) that the Patriots are out. I don't think that comes as a surprise to anyone, but still I just have to put it out there. :yes:
The Indy/Pitt game was by far one of the best playoff games I have watched in a while. So much drama, so many turns that the game took that were unexpected. I don't know what the officials were thinking when they overruled that obvious INT by Polamalu, or why they decided to just look the other way on that offsides call earlier...all I know is that if Pitt had lost as a result of that bad INT call, someone would have been fired. Another thing-you can bet a good amount that Vanderjagt is not kicking for Indy next season.
Also kudos to Carolina, Denver, and Seattle. I have a feeling it will be Pittsburgh/Carolina in the Super Bowl, but at this point any matchup would be great.

DarthQuack
01-17-2006, 07:05 PM
I hate all four teams equally that are left. I hate the Panthers because they beat the Giants(my team) and the Bears(my sentimental pick). I hate the Broncos because I never liked Elway. I hate the Steelers because they beat both the Colts and Bengals, and I hate the Seahawks for the Giants heartbreak loss a month or so ago.

QLD
01-17-2006, 07:17 PM
I was hoping for an Indy/Chicago Superbowl...oh well. Now I am hopig for Pitt/Seattle.

Hellboy
01-18-2006, 06:52 PM
The playoffs have been great so far, I'm really enjoying every bit of the action. Granted I've been a die hard Seattle Seahawks fan since I was about 8 yrs old so I have quite a bit to be excited about. I sure hope the defense is up to the challenge this weekend and can shut down Steve Smith or we might be in trouble since Seattle's secondary isn't it's strongpoint. Obviously my team has never made it to the Super Bowl so that would be an incredible feeling if they could pull it out but to be honest I'm just glad they finally won a playoff game after that embarrassing drought. :pleased:

I really love the fact that the Colts have been eliminated early again this year. One of the things thats been driving me nuts all season is how many of the sports writers basically acted as if Indy had it in the bag already. Maybe now the Seahawks will start to get the recognition they deserve but unless they make the Super Bowl I doubt it.

jedi master sal
01-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Well, I'm from Pittsburgh, so you know who I'm rooting for. Man, did my stomach get caught up in my throat this Sunday when Bettis fumbled! There was a guy here who literally had a heart attack because of that play. He lived, but wow...

JetsAndHeels
01-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Well, I'm from Pittsburgh, so you know who I'm rooting for. Man, did my stomach get caught up in my throat this Sunday when Bettis fumbled! There was a guy here who literally had a heart attack because of that play. He lived, but wow...

That was one heck of a finish....the game was pretty much one-sided for the first 3 quarters then in the 4th it just went nuts. I was in a steelers bar down in Myrtle Beach so you can imagine the craziness in there!!
NFL Network re-aired highlights of it as part of their Game of the week earlier tonight and I still can't get over alot of the drama in that game, including that horrible call on Polomalu's interception.

jedi master sal
01-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Yeah, we were almost robbed by that bad call. That and the "no-call" on the off-sides. Still, after teh bad call, our defense should have held their ground and not given Indy a chance. So while we can blame the officiating, which was horrendous, the defense should have stepped it up. Thank God for that missed field goal.

People are making much ado about the air in Denver and how it's going to affect the Steelers. Bettis has asthma, so it may affect him, but since he usually only has short sprints, he should be okay. I really don't think it's going to play as big a factor as people are claiming.

Can't wait to find out. My latest prediction: Steelers 25, Denver 23.

Oh and the other game: Seahawks 26, Panthers 17
-Sal

JetsAndHeels
01-19-2006, 09:18 PM
I think Bettis will be just fine. I know he suffers from asthma but its not like the Steelers have never played there before. He is a tough runner, who will probably only be used in short yardage or goal line situations...or perhaps if they are ahead in the 4th and need him to run so the clock will continue counting down. Parker can take most of the load (by the way I will see Willie next weekend in Raleigh at a card show). Its tough to predict this game because Denver and Pitt seem to be evenly matched. However I will go with the Steelers because I think they have more momentum going in and its hard to find a qb who is playing better than Big Ben right now.
In the NFC I will take the Panthers because I think Steve Smith is going to have another big game and Delhomme is comfortable behind that o-line of theirs. Even if Julius Peppers can't play on the defensive side they still have some depth and I think despite Seattle having the league's MVP and all they will still come up short against Carolina.

UKWildcat
01-21-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm sticking with my original picks. Pittsburgh and Carolina will prevail.

sith_killer_99
01-22-2006, 12:01 AM
People are making much ado about the air in Denver and how it's going to affect the Steelers.

However I will go with the Steelers because I think they have more momentum going in and its hard to find a qb who is playing better than Big Ben right now.

Well, here's the deal:

but the Steelers are heading into INVESCO Field at Mile High where Denver is 9-0 this season and is riding an 11-game home winning streak

My prediction, so long as Jake keeps from throwing interceptions, Steelers lose it in the 4th quarter. If they manage to get the lead early they will have to hold on to that lead in the 4th quarter. That's usually when Denver shines. By the time the game is half way through the 3rd quarter Pitts' defense will by feeling like they have already played a full 4 quarters. They will start to wear down. So barring any mistakes from Denver the iron curtain will fall.

It's tough to go into Denver and walk away with the big W, even for a "road team" like Pitt.

Like I said, Jake's performance will weigh heavily in this game. Last year Denver lost a lot of games because of turn overs, this year Jake seems to be on his game, though he has had a few interceptions.

Final perdiction:

Denver over Pitt
Seattle over Carolina

Superbowl
Denver beats Seattle

Hellboy
01-22-2006, 01:42 AM
I think the Broncos and the Seahawks will make it to Super Bowl XL. If this happens it will be kind of strange seeing as these two teams were division rivals before Seattle moved from the AFC West to the NFC West.

"GO SEAHAWKS"

sith_killer_99
01-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Same old mistake Jake!

Four fraking turnovers!:mad:

figrin bran
01-22-2006, 09:34 PM
haha, the law of averages finally caught up with jake! (you can take that to mean plummer and delhomme)

jedi master sal
01-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Hell yeah! PITTSBURGH'S GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!!

Whoo-freakin'-hoo!!!!

Being from and living in Pittsburgh, it's electrifying right now!!!

Bring on the Seahawks!

jedi master sal
01-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Well, here's the deal:
My prediction, so long as Jake keeps from throwing interceptions, Steelers lose it in the 4th quarter. If they manage to get the lead early they will have to hold on to that lead in the 4th quarter. That's usually when Denver shines. By the time the game is half way through the 3rd quarter Pitts' defense will by feeling like they have already played a full 4 quarters. They will start to wear down. So barring any mistakes from Denver the iron curtain will fall.

It's tough to go into Denver and walk away with the big W, even for a "road team" like Pitt.

Like I said, Jake's performance will weigh heavily in this game. Last year Denver lost a lot of games because of turn overs, this year Jake seems to be on his game, though he has had a few interceptions.

Final perdiction:

Denver over Pitt
Seattle over Carolina

Superbowl
Denver beats Seattle

Hmm, are you ready to eat CROW with a dessert of HUMBLE PIE???

PITTSBURGH'S going to the Superbowl!!!!

Whoo-hoo!

One for the thumb, baby!
Ride the Bus!
You're going to be put in the Hines"PyschoWARD"
It's time for Kimo-therapy (Kimo Von Olhoefen) #67 D-line
Watch out for the tasmanian Devil! (Troy Polamalu-his nickname)
Steel Curtain will keep the flicker of light snuffed out for Seattle!

Okay, whew, I'm done. For those of you who don't understand any of those lines above. this psot isn't for you. If you do and are a Steelers fan, you get it!

GO STEELERS!
-Sal

Hellboy
01-23-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm happy for all you Steeler fans but I'm much happier that my Seahawks will be making their first ever Super Bowl appearance. :D :D :D

Regardless of whoever wins I think at the very least this will be a fantastic game and a matchup worthy of being in the Super Bowl.

I'm still letting yesterdays victory soak in, I still can't believe they finally made it. :pleased:

jedi master sal
01-23-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm still letting yesterdays victory soak in, I still can't believe they finally made it. :pleased:

While I can believe it for my Steelers, it still seems surreal.

I'm going to meet Jerome Bettis tonight. The hope is that either Hines Ward of Ben Roethlisberger are going to be there too!

I've got the sports figs, so I'm hoping he'll sign it and if the other guys are there, that they will too.

Prediction: Steelers 28, Seahawks 24.

JetsAndHeels
01-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Congrats to the Seahawks and Steelers, and all their fans.
Sal, good luck tonight on meeting the players. Make sure to take pics of your stuff, I would love to see it.
There is a sportscard show this coming weekend in Raleigh, and Willie Parker is supposed to come and sign.....I am wondering now if he will be able to keep that obligation. Not sure when the team leaves for Detroit or what their schedule will be.

Slicker
01-23-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm just utterly surprised at how Pitt man handled Denver. I would've thought Denver to at least put up a fight if not win the game. The other game I knew how that would end up. Seattle was just too much for Carolina from the beginning.

I have a feeling that this is gonna be a really great Super Bowl regardless of who wins.

figrin bran
02-04-2006, 08:43 PM
So where is Jerome Bettis' hometown again? ;) i've heard enough of the homecoming stories and Joey Porter claiming that they're going to "tap out" all the Seahawks...just play the darn game already!!!

JetsAndHeels
02-04-2006, 09:01 PM
I've been hearing some good quotes and statements on the NFL network about the game....however the best came from one of my personal favorites, Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards...

"It should be a very physical game. Both teams love to pound the ball and wear out the opposing defenses. I think it will come down to whoever makes the most mistakes...all in all it should be a very good 75 minutes of football."

figrin bran
02-04-2006, 09:33 PM
I've been hearing some good quotes and statements on the NFL network about the game....however the best came from one of my personal favorites, Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards...

"It should be a very physical game. Both teams love to pound the ball and wear out the opposing defenses. I think it will come down to whoever makes the most mistakes...all in all it should be a very good 75 minutes of football."

lol so that's why he has a timekeeper (as you pointed out to us earlier in the season, jango)? so herm means to say that the team with more turnovers, penalties and fewer 3rd down conversions will win?

JetsAndHeels
02-04-2006, 09:51 PM
lol so that's why he has a timekeeper (as you pointed out to us earlier in the season, jango)? so herm means to say that the team with more turnovers, penalties and fewer 3rd down conversions will win?

Well I actually made that up, but still Herm is the only coach in the league who had an actual time keeping coach when he was with us. Take from that whatever you may, but to me that says the guy knows squat about game management. It also was evident when he was notorious for making horrible decisions that cost us game. You know, same ol stuff.

In a way you are right about him always wanting the opposite....he is like the bizzarro coach.

"1st downs am bad"
"quarterback have good shoulder"
"3rd down and long mean run"
"fans say boo they like me"
"interceptions am good to do"

Hellboy
02-05-2006, 01:14 AM
So where is Jerome Bettis' hometown again? ;) i've heard enough of the homecoming stories and Joey Porter claiming that they're going to "tap out" all the Seahawks...just play the darn game already!!!

Yeah I could only take so much of that stuff. I actually had to stop watching most of the pre-game hype because it was getting stale. :tired:

Listening to most of the coverage you'd think the Steelers had already won the game. The mayor of Detroit already gave Jerome Bettis the key to the city. So much for staying neutral Detroit. :rolleyes: Its okay though because tomorrow the Seahawks are going to come out focused and show the world who the best team in the NFL really is. I predict Matt Hasselbeck will win Super Bowl MVP too. :yes:

Slicker
02-05-2006, 01:38 AM
I hope your right HB. I just don't like the Steelers for some reason. I'm not a fan of the Seahawks either but it's the lesser of two evils. I just hope for the sake of Seattle fans that the Seahawks don't become the next bandwagon team like the Colts or Eagles. I have a bad feeling that next year the Seahawks and Bengals will move up the bandwagon ladder unfortunately.

Hellboy
02-05-2006, 02:26 AM
I have a bad feeling that next year the Seahawks and Bengals will move up the bandwagon ladder unfortunately.

I'm sure you're right Slick, I live 3 hrs away from Seattle in Portland and rarely see any Seahawk fans. I see more Patriot, Cowboy, Raider and 49er gear being worn than anything else. I'm sure if Seattle wins, ahem . . I mean when Seattle wins I'll be seeing more Seahawk fans surface. There are probably a lot of casual fans here in the NW that just weren't die hard enough to support them during the dark times like myself. Thats okay though the reward of being a true fan is the taste of victory is always sweeter. :pleased:

jedi master sal
02-05-2006, 05:44 AM
No offense Hellboy amd Slicker, but I'm rooting for Pittsburgh all the way.

I'm a natvie born Pittsburgher. This city is electrified with the intensity of the prospect of the Steelers winning.

I truly hope the hype hasn't gone to any of their heads or we'll be in trouble.

I will wish the Seahawks fans a fair clean game, free of injuries, bad calls, etc for both teams.

If the Steelers win, I'll be on cloud 9.

If not then Kudos to Seattle for not squandering their first opportunity in 30 years.

No matter what, I hope it's a good, exciting, hard fought game.

GO Steelers!

Bel-Cam Jos
02-05-2006, 09:06 AM
There are a few Pittsburgh fans that roam these Forums (jedi_master_sal and The 'Xir come to mind right now) who would root for them no matter what. Bandwagoners are just a part of life. I'll admit, that's how I became a fan in the '70s. I lived about an hour from both Cleveland and Pittsburgh, and since the Steel City was doing better than the "mistake" city at that time (even though I've always liked Cleveland as a town), I supported the Black and Gold. Of course, I was about 3 years old, and as easily manipulated as a Chosen One in a personal conflict.

Why Pittsburgh will win:

- The ability, and choice, to be pass-first or run-first now.
- A tall, mobile QB whose teammates trust in to do quite a lot, and who is the leading playoff quarterback tackler coming into the Super Bowl. :p
- An energetic defense that knows when to gamble and when to just be strong, and excellent special teams.
- A capable combination of deep threat, possession, and over-the-middle receivers.
- Proof that tough opponents raise their level of play recently, even in loud arenas.
- The game's closer to home for them, with fan support (yeah, I know: only if those fans can actually afford the tickets).
- The emotional X-factor of those die-hard fans and recent hangers-on.
- The tradition of four titles, and the drive for five.
- The Terrible Towel will instill fear and distract the 'Hawks. :yes:
- A "steeler" is a more realistic mascot than a made-up "sea hawk." :D

Why Seattle will win:
- The much-abused "no respect" tag does have some merit and will motivate them.
- The league MVP, for gosh sakes.
- A quarterback who's confident, poised, and comfortable running his offense.
- A fast defense, and good special teams.
- An experienced Super Bowl-winning coach.
- The officials will decide who wants to win and blow another call, a la Indianapolis '06 or Thanksgiving Detroit '98. :rolleyes:

Here we go, Stillers, here we go! (clap, clap)

Kidhuman
02-05-2006, 08:43 PM
- The officials will decide who wants to win and blow another call, a la Indianapolis '06 or Thanksgiving Detroit '98. :rolleyes:

You got that right, Big Ben never got in the endzone and neither did the football.

kool-aid killer
02-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Crap, the Suckers did win the Super Bowl.

Slicker
02-05-2006, 08:53 PM
You got that right, Big Ben never got in the endzone and neither did the football.No he didn't. That was a blown call if I ever saw it. I'm sure they'll come out and say it tomorrow but it does Seattle no good tonight since they lost.

They really need to give the officials more time to review plays. You can't rush something as pivotal as a touchdown.

UKWildcat
02-05-2006, 11:00 PM
You got that right, Big Ben never got in the endzone and neither did the football.

Ben never got into the endzone, but to me it looked like the ball definitely broke the plane. From the angle I saw the ball went into the white of the endzone, and that is all it has to do. Even if the ball goes into/over the white endzone line and comes back out onto the field, it is still a touchdown.

Anyways, I was pulling for the Seahawks the entire game but in the end I wasn't bothered at all to see that Cowher won. I've always had respect for coach Cowher, even though I'm not a Steeler fan, so I was kinda glad he finally won the big game. He deserved it.

After that disgusting trick play from Randel El to Hines Ward for the touchdown, I knew the Seahawks didn't have a chance. And what happened to Darrell Jackson? 5 catches in the first quarter alone and nothing the rest of the game?

Anyways... back to Jimmy Kimmel, should be a good show tonight.

Lord Malakite
02-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Well, the Steelers pulled it off. If any team deserved it was them after what they did to the Bengals.:p

We still got one more game before this season comes to an official close though, the Pro Bowl. Its no Super Bowl but its a good way to kill a few hours. So who is your pick for this year, AFC or NFC?

I think I'll go AFC, most of the decent talent appears to be on their side.

figrin bran
02-05-2006, 11:50 PM
at least the officiating was consistent in the playoffs this year. consistently bad! i think the ball crossed the plane of the goal line on the Roethlisberger TD but i think the offensive pass interference on D Jackson and the holding call that called back Jerramy Stevens catch at the 1 yard line were phantom calls.

how great is it that the Disney World commercial where players were rehearsing their "i'm going to disney world" lines were all Steelers?

even Madden got in on the steeler lovefest with his constant gushing over alan faneca. gosh, you would've thought it was brett favre he was talking about.

UKWildcat
02-05-2006, 11:57 PM
how great is it that the Disney World commercial where players were rehearsing their "i'm going to disney world" lines were all Steelers?

I did notice Hasselback and S. Alexander but other than that, yup... all Steelers. It was quite fitting.

gosh, you would've thought it was brett favre he was talking about.

lol lol lol

CaptainSolo1138
02-06-2006, 06:51 AM
What a garbage game. Flat-out boring. All the way form the horrible (disgraceful, IMO) rendition of the National Anthem to the final "drive" by Seattle. The Super Bowl is becoming more "Super" and less "Bowl" every year.

Kidhuman
02-06-2006, 09:12 AM
I will agree and say the officating was horrible. Someone on the Seahawks should do a Joey Porter impression and whine and bi**h about it.

UKWildcat
02-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Is it just me or do the commercials get worse and worse each year? There were a couple of good Bud Light commercials but other than that almost all of them sucked.

Slicker
02-06-2006, 10:23 AM
I agree. Literally the only commercial that made me laugh (and I was rolling and bringing it up the entire game) was I believe the VERY FIRST Bud Light commercial with the "magic fridge". That was one of the funniest commercials I've seen.

James Boba Fettfield
02-06-2006, 10:47 AM
What a garbage game. Flat-out boring. All the way form the horrible (disgraceful, IMO) rendition of the National Anthem to the final "drive" by Seattle. The Super Bowl is becoming more "Super" and less "Bowl" every year.

I agree. I enjoy the conference championship games more than the Super Bowl. Heck, I'll take the wild card games even. Concentration on playing the game, not all the theatrics and frills and the commercial hype.

UKWildcat
02-06-2006, 10:49 AM
...was I believe the VERY FIRST Bud Light commercial with the "magic fridge". That was one of the funniest commercials I've seen.

Yea, that one was pretty good.

Another one that was really funny was when the guy hid the Bud Light bottles throughout the office. Then the workers were tearing up the place looking for them. I still laugh when I visualize the guy punching through the wall and pulling out a couple of bottles. lol

Slicker
02-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Yea, that one was pretty good.

Another one that was really funny was when the guy hid the Bud Light bottles throughout the office. Then the workers were tearing up the place looking for them. I still laugh when I visualize the guy punching through the wall and pulling out a couple of bottles. lolThat's the other one. That was f-ing funny when he grabbed them out of the wall. I give kudos to Bud Light for having the best commercials this year. I to be honest can't remember any other commercials.

Bobby Fett
02-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Speaking of commercials...

When they say "brown and bubbly", Diet Pepsi isn't the first thing that comes to mind! :shocked:

CaptainSolo1138
02-06-2006, 12:00 PM
I enjoy the conference championship games more than the Super Bowl. Heck, I'll take the wild card games even. Concentration on playing the game, not all the theatrics and frills and the commercial hype.In the games leading up to the Super Bowl, the teams are actually playing for something. Anymore it seems that making it to the Super Bowl is good enough. It also feels like players "phone it in" alot more than they did in days of yore. They know they're gettin' paid and going to Hawaii for the ProBowl next week so what does it matter if they get a silly ring. I'm totally coming off the cuff with that analysis, but that's generally my opinion on it.

On the commercial front, I flipped alot (Family Guy was on for an hour. How sad that repeats held my attention better than the "big game"), but the couple I caught that made me laugh were the Burger King one with the dancers forming the burger (Brooke Burke gave it bonus points) and the Hummer one with the robot and goofy looking monster spawning an H3. That one made me pee a little.

Kidhuman
02-06-2006, 12:48 PM
The cell phone that has crime prevention was funny, the guy trying to steal his wallet and gets leveled with the other guys phone. Also the Fed Ex commercial with the dinosaurs was funny. The magic fridge and that was about it. Also the guy falling through the roof.

Slicker
02-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Here's a link with ALL of the Superbowl XL commercials.

Break.com (http://superbowl.break.com/superbowl/superbowl.html)

JetsAndHeels
02-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Well I am just now getting home from watching the game and then going out looking for cards and Steelers championship gear with my best friend this morning....I guess I should go ahead and chime in on what I thought:

-Big Ben did not play a great game last night, but he didn't have to. In my book he still has shown he has what it takes to be a champion. Look at his play from the beginning of the playoffs until the Super Bowl. If you ask me his one critical play was the tackle on the Indy player who recovered Bettis' fumble. If he doesn't make that play chances are Indy wins and we're talking about another Super Bowl champ today

-Willie Parker is going to be an absolute star. That 75 yard TD run he made is not only the longest in Super Bowl history, but it helped get momentum back to Pittsburgh after the Seahawks seemed to be playing more at their type of pace

-Cowher and the coaching staff did what they needed to win the game. The reverse TD pass from Randle El to Hines Ward was another example of not playing conservatively, and doing what it takes to prove you deserve to win the big games. To me it looked exactly like the play against Cincinnatti, even though it was Ben to Cedrick Wilson that week

-The Seahawks are a good team, but last night showed me they were not the elite of the NFC. If you ask me the Panthers would have been a better representative in the game. Although Seattle beat Carolina fair and square in the NFC title game, chances are if they were to play again it would be a different outcome

And LM asked about the Pro Bowl...no question AFC wins it. Too much talent and power in that conference. NFC has its share of stars too but judging on history and the levels of talent in the individual team rosters AFC is a clear-cut winner.

Kidhuman
02-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Seatle has what it takes to win, they should have won that game...two TD's called back on BS calls and one that Pitts. got in, thats a 21 point swing and Seatle wins 24-14

Slicker
02-06-2006, 04:09 PM
I thought Seattle was gonna dominate the game by how they looked on the first drive. They completed almost all of there passes and Pitt. just looked poor (Pitt. actually looked poor the whole game). Although Alexander had nearly 100 yards is a very quiet 100 yards. I really hope that people don't start saying that Pitt. "played an outstanding game" especially since they didn't have a single first down in the first quarter.

I'm not a fan of either side but Seattle was robbed. Plain and simple.

Kidhuman
02-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Seatle won Time of Possesion, Turnovers and yardage, but they could not finish it off, and when they did, it called called back on two BS calls.

UKWildcat
02-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Lets not forget about the couple of missed field goals by Seattle too.

Kidhuman
02-06-2006, 05:03 PM
They put themselves in those situations to miss. Better clock management and they would have had them.

jedi master sal
02-06-2006, 05:20 PM

Crap, the Suckers did win the Super Bowl.

No he didn't. That was a blown call if I ever saw it. I'm sure they'll come out and say it tomorrow but it does Seattle no good tonight since they lost.

They really need to give the officials more time to review plays. You can't rush something as pivotal as a touchdown.

You guys DO realize that even without Ben's Td, the Steelers still won based on score...

I will agree and say the officating was horrible. Someone on the Seahawks should do a Joey Porter impression and whine and bi**h about it.

Call it what you will KH, but the Steelers still won. Porter is known for trash talking, and the team backed it up.

Well I am just now getting home from watching the game and then going out looking for cards and Steelers championship gear with my best friend this morning....I guess I should go ahead and chime in on what I thought:

-Big Ben did not play a great game last night, but he didn't have to. In my book he still has shown he has what it takes to be a champion. Look at his play from the beginning of the playoffs until the Super Bowl. If you ask me his one critical play was the tackle on the Indy player who recovered Bettis' fumble. If he doesn't make that play chances are Indy wins and we're talking about another Super Bowl champ today

-Willie Parker is going to be an absolute star. That 75 yard TD run he made is not only the longest in Super Bowl history, but it helped get momentum back to Pittsburgh after the Seahawks seemed to be playing more at their type of pace

-Cowher and the coaching staff did what they needed to win the game. The reverse TD pass from Randle El to Hines Ward was another example of not playing conservatively, and doing what it takes to prove you deserve to win the big games. To me it looked exactly like the play against Cincinnatti, even though it was Ben to Cedrick Wilson that week

-The Seahawks are a good team, but last night showed me they were not the elite of the NFC. If you ask me the Panthers would have been a better representative in the game. Although Seattle beat Carolina fair and square in the NFC title game, chances are if they were to play again it would be a different outcome

And LM asked about the Pro Bowl...no question AFC wins it. Too much talent and power in that conference. NFC has its share of stars too but judging on history and the levels of talent in the individual team rosters AFC is a clear-cut winner.

A fair analysis of the game. Oh and that trick play was done exactly the same way against Cleveland this year, not Cincy. It was oen of two strong trick plays that was planned for with Randle El in mind. They never used the second one. I'm assuming they felt they didn't need to.

Seatle won Time of Possesion, Turnovers and yardage, but they could not finish it off, and when they did, it called called back on two BS calls.

That's when a team just has to step it up even more. If they felt they were being robbed of vistory then they needed to go out and play harder and smarter. We were saying the same thing in the Indy game, but we won it.

I agree it wasn't a well played game by the Steelers, but it's the time of hard fought, typical game that we Steelers fans know all to well. I had my ups and downs in the game, but it started to become apparent who was going to win when Parker took it to the house for the 75 yd TD.

Kidhuman
02-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Robbed of a victory on two BS calls that brought back 2 TD's. Add those in and Pitt loses.

Rogue II
02-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Seattle won Time of Possession, Turnovers and yardage, but they could not finish it off, and when they did, it called called back on two BS calls.

That's when a team just has to step it up even more. If they felt they were being robbed of vistory then they needed to go out and play harder and smarter. We were saying the same thing in the Indy game, but we won it.

I agree it wasn't a well played game by the Steelers, but it's the time of hard fought, typical game that we Steelers fans know all to well. I had my ups and downs in the game, but it started to become apparent who was going to win when Parker took it to the house for the 75 yd TD.

I'm glad the Steelers won, but...

The refs changed the outcome of the game. I believe KH was listening to the same ESPN radio show I was this morning. They had a stat that the team who causes the most turn-overs wins 83% of the time. If you look at the stats of any game in the past 5-10 years, you'll find that if a team has the most turn-overs, Time of possession, and yardage, they win 100% of the time. Yes, the Seahawks should have stepped up, but the officiating had a big part on the outcome of the game with their questionable calls. Granted, none of them were as bad as the non-interception from the Colts/Steelers game, but that's 14 points and a big swing in momentum.

Hellboy
02-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Its hard for me to put into words just how disapponited I am in the NFL and it's officials. This game was won on every level by the Seahawks and the poor officiating cost them the game, simple as that. If just two of these plays were to go in Seattle's favor the Steelers would not have won this game. As I see it these are the plays that changed the game and basically handed the Steelers a victory.

-Darrell Jackson should not have been called for offensive pass interference when he caught that ball in the end zone. Michael Irving said it best "that was a ticky tack foul" and even Steve Young said "I'm sorry but that is a touchdown." Calls like that have no place in a game as big as the Super Bowl IMO.

-The Ben Roethlesberger touchdown was questionable at best. The thing that bothered me the most was how it was ruled down and then the line judge rushed up towards Ben after he started crawling accross the plane and ruled it a touchdown. This play should have been ruled a fourth down THEN reviewed to see if he crossed the plane. It would not have been overturned at that point because it wasn't clear that the ball had indeed crossed the plane.

-The holding call on one of Seattle's Offensive lineman (I can't remember which one it was) was total BS. Both Al Michaels and John Madden pointed out that it shouldn't have been called. That cost the Seahawks a first down at the 1 yard line after Jerramy Stevens made a great catch. As a result the next play was an interception costing Seattle what would most likely have been a scoring drive.

-Darrell Jackson catches that pass around the 3 yard line but steps out of bounds before physically getting into the endzone and the pass is ruled incomplete. However even though Jackson didn't get both feet down the ball did cross the plane before he stepped out of bounds. Last time I checked thats a touchdown since the goal line extends beyond the field. Michael Vick made a similar play this season and it was ruled a touchdown so why not here? I find it unbelievable that this play wasn't at the very least reviewed.

I'm not one to start a conspiracy theory and as a fan I understand that it can be difficult to be objective but I seriously don't feel the NFL wanted the Seahawks to become Super Bowl champions. Just look at how this game was being promoted with the Steelers as the focal point of almost everything. Even the black and white montages of team members holding the Lombardi trophy that were show during the game featured nothing but shots of the Steelers until the third quarter. Once they finally did show some of the Seahawks holding the trophy it was followed by yet another shot of a Steeler.

I can't speak for Steeler fans but I know if the Seahawks were to win the Super Bowl in the same fashion as the Steelers I wouldn't like it. I'd have no problem giving the Steelers props if I thought they outplayed and earned this victory but I'm sorry as a fan of the game I can't say the better team won here because IMO we still don't know. :upset:

jedi master sal
02-07-2006, 01:45 AM
I truky understand your frustration KH. Although I saw the game differently than you.

For many years we Steelers fans have been saying the same thing in a sense. Officiating has robbed us many tims and we felt we had a curse. I'm not saying that's what happened with this Super Bowl, but that I understnad how you feel.

Yes, personally I would have rather seen the Steelers score way more points so there would be no contraversy, but that's not the way the team plays. They play to keep the lead not run up the points.

In any event, I congratulate the Seahawks on a great year. Who knows maybe next year they'll get to avenge themselves of this loss.

figrin bran
02-07-2006, 10:49 AM
In any event, I congratulate the Seahawks on a great year. Who knows maybe next year they'll get to avenge themselves of this loss.

well, if shaun alexander leaves, there will be even more crying in seattle. seeing as how he wants a contract similar to LT's, i'm not so sure he'll get it from anyone, being 29 already and having perhaps 4 more years left of good production. edge james who is in a similar position last offseason was given permission to seek trades and yet there weren't many offers, seemingly.

JetsAndHeels
02-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Last night on the David Letterman show Big Ben said he did not think he got in on that TD. Of course they would have gone for it on 4th down I think, but still it was a very iffy call.
Yes, the officiating was bad, but I still think Pitt would have come out with the win anyway. The refs can't be blamed for Seattle's clock management issues, 2 missed FG's, bad defensive series on the long TD run and reverse TD pass. It was a bad day all around for both teams actually.

jedi master sal
02-08-2006, 12:06 PM
yeah, I gotta be honest here and say that it was a disappointing game. Of course I'm happy with the outcome, but it just didn't feel right. I'm glad the 26 year drought is over, but considering how well the Steelers played in the post-season, I guess I expected more out of them in the Super Bowl.

On a side note, I got to be part of the 250K crowd that was there for the welcom home and congrats parade. (That's not what it was called)

I got video of al of the Steelers that were in the parade. Even got the couple of guys who body-surfed. Polamalu was cool. Looked right at me and pointed when I shouted his name as he came by.

I truly hope everyone gets to experience that in their lifetimes. If your team wins and they have a parade, DON'T MISS IT!

-Sal

Slicker
02-08-2006, 12:09 PM
I truly hope everyone gets to experience that in their lifetimes. If your team wins and they have a parade, DON'T MISS IT!I've got this feeling that the people of Michigan are gonna have 2 championship parades this year with the Red Wings then the Pistons.

Everyone bookmark this post so when it happens you can all eat it and bow down to my power supreme.

Kidhuman
02-08-2006, 12:57 PM
I truly hope everyone gets to experience that in their lifetimes. If your team wins and they have a parade, DON'T MISS IT!

-Sal

I shall agree with that, I went to the Yankees parade in 96, it was insane. It is a great time.

The 'Xir
02-08-2006, 01:03 PM
All I gotta say Is my PITTSBURGH STEELERS ARE THE SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD!!! :D :love: :D :love: :D :love:

The offciating did suck, but it's not like Seattle didn't have any penalties at all! They did! Too many, and they kept shooting themselves in the foot no matter how well they played or how much momentum they established or the refs took away, they were still their own worst enemy!

The reverse receiver pass was as historic as The Catch, The Drive, or The Tuck

And last but not least, Roethlisberger WAS In on that touchdown dive! I don't care what naysayers think, the rules are the rules, and even if a frayed thread was hanging off the football and crossed the goaline, by the rules it's a touchdown! However, there was definitelly more than a frayed thread, it might have been only the thickness of the laces but it was over when he was in the air falling to the ground!!!

Did I mention that Pittsburghs the SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD!!!!

Yeah Baby! It's a beautiful thing!!! :yes: :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
02-08-2006, 01:12 PM
I went to the Yankees parade in 96, it was insane. It is a great time.
But I bet the Red Sox had a better one.:D

Kidhuman
02-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Nah, the sox parade consisted of 2 cardboard cut outs and a midget.

Lord Malakite
02-12-2006, 08:58 PM
That was one of the best Pro Bowls I have seen, it came right down to the wire. The NFC managed to hold on and pull off and unexpected 23-17 win over the AFC, and with that this NFL season is now at an official end.:thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
02-12-2006, 09:24 PM
That was one of the best Pro Bowls I have seen, it came right down to the wire. The NFC managed to hold on and pull off and unexpected 23-17 win over the AFC, and with that this NFL season is now at an official end.:thumbsup:

Yeah I saw a little of it, but once the Carolina basketball game came on I switched over. The one part of the game I thought was pretty funny was where the AFC was going to run the play voted by the fans (halfback pass play)...unfortunately the snap was fumbled by Steve McNair and it never happened. :D

Slicker
02-13-2006, 05:53 AM
I didn't watch the game (Pistons and Red Wings games trump all else) but I'm very surprised that the NFC won. I'm an NFC fan all the way but they just never seem to have the strength to beat AFC teams. Maybe that's just me...

CaptainSolo1138
02-13-2006, 08:16 AM
I didn't watch the game (Pistons and Red Wings games trump all else) but I'm very surprised that the NFC won. I'm an NFC fan all the way but they just never seem to have the strength to beat AFC teams. Maybe that's just me...How did you get to watch the Red Wings and I had to keep checking ESPNews for the score?! Jerk.

I watched a large chunk of the ProBowl and was pretty entertained. I always like the "All Star" atmosphere.

I think it's kinda sh**ty though that the NFL is the only sport to figure out that and All Star game at the END of the season is the only way to recognoze everyone, not just people who had a good first half of the season.

Kidhuman
02-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Too cold for baseball in November, Basketball...same people every year so it doesnt matter, Hockey could be anytime, anywhere, but the length of the playoffs kill it for the non playoff making teams. Thats why Football is the only one to do so at the end of the year.

CaptainSolo1138
02-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Too cold for baseball in November, Basketball...same people every year so it doesnt matter, Hockey could be anytime, anywhere, but the length of the playoffs kill it for the non playoff making teams. Thats why Football is the only one to do so at the end of the year.
But there are plenty of baseball teams that play in domes.

I never took into consideration the playoff question, but are they really any longer than NFL playoffs? They play once a week, and NHL playoffs take about as long (not counting the Finals). It's just a thought...

Kidhuman
02-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Hovkey playoffs are about 6 weeks long, 16 teams best of sevens.....yeah, same with basketball, about a month or so long. YOu also have ot remember that baseballs All Star Game is dubbed, the Mid Summer Classic, so playing it in Novemeber would not work then, especially if World Series Home Field is on the line now.

CaptainSolo1138
02-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Hovkey playoffs are about 6 weeks long, 16 teams best of sevens.....yeah, same with basketball, about a month or so long. YOu also have ot remember that baseballs All Star Game is dubbed, the Mid Summer Classic, so playing it in Novemeber would not work then, especially if World Series Home Field is on the line now.
All of your points are valid, KH (though I don't think a nickname is a good enough reason to not move a baseball game to a different time of year :D ). All I'm saying is that people who kick butt in the second half of the season or go on a horrible slump in August or September aren't properly recognized.

Slicker
02-13-2006, 12:18 PM
How did you get to watch the Red Wings and I had to keep checking ESPNews for the score?! Jerk.They played on OLN so don't blame me if you don't check your TV Guide.

CaptainSolo1138
02-13-2006, 12:26 PM
They played on OLN so don't blame me if you don't check your TV Guide.
Some of us live on campus and get a crappy excuse for cable.

That explains why they weren't on FSN.

Kidhuman
02-13-2006, 03:35 PM
All of your points are valid, KH (though I don't think a nickname is a good enough reason to not move a baseball game to a different time of year :D ). All I'm saying is that people who kick butt in the second half of the season or go on a horrible slump in August or September aren't properly recognized.

Dude, I completely understand what you are saying about the all star games, and tend to agree with you. There have been plenty of people who fall off the second half or have a few good games in June and people vote them in. It is kind of sad in a way. All in all, I really could care less about them as baseball and hockey are the only two worth watching. Basketball is a glorified street game of slam dunk and football, well, I never liked the pro bowl.

CaptainSolo1138
02-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Basketball is a glorified street game of slam dunkYep. It's like the days in gym class where we'd lower the rim to 6'5" and get out the trampoline.

Kidhuman
02-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Thats damn funny, we would lower the rim but no trampoline.

figrin bran
02-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Ricky VW Bus Williams tested positive for the 4th time. anyone want to guess what substance it was? :p

After abandoning them 2 seasons ago, Nick Saban really stuck his neck out for him and this is what he gives them in return?

Slicker
02-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Ricky VW Bus Williams tested positive for the 4th time. anyone want to guess what substance it was? :p

After abandoning them 2 seasons ago, Nick Saban really stuck his neck out for him and this is what he gives them in return?I really hope they finally kick him out of the league. Hell, most jobs that test for weed fire you for the first offence, why should football or any other "pro" sport be any different?

JetsAndHeels
02-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Saban won't put up with stuff like what Ricky Williams has done. The guy is a hard-nosed coach who likes to see character out of his players on the field and off.
Ricky didn't deserve a chance back anyway, looks like he will never learn.

JimJamBonds
02-20-2006, 10:56 PM
I heard on ESPN Radio on the way home that it wasn't for pot. I guess Ricky was/is in India???

JetsAndHeels
02-20-2006, 11:05 PM
I heard on ESPN Radio on the way home that it wasn't for pot. I guess Ricky was/is in India???

Yeah, he is over there studying Yoga and probably more of that holistic medicine he has been interested in.
He's quite the interesting character to say the least...but one heck of a running back when he came into the league.

JimJamBonds
02-20-2006, 11:06 PM
You should probably change that to past tense: "he WAS a great running back...."

JetsAndHeels
02-20-2006, 11:08 PM
He was one heck of a running back when he came into the league. He did well with the Saints and then more recently with the Dolphins up until his suspension....of course his play with Miami is more of what I saw being that they share the division with the Jets.