PDA

View Full Version : I'd love to see a video game of. . . .

El Chuxter
01-15-2006, 01:50 PM
I was thinking earlier about all the possible licenses for video games that inexplicably haven't been picked up.

I mean, LFL probably makes as much money off Star Wars games as they do from movies and toys. So why aren't other properties with a large fan base among gamers jumping in on the action?

Here's some that came immediately to mind:

Star Trek: Unless I'm mistaken, there's never been a good Star Trek game. Imagine something on the scale of Grand Theft Auto, but with any crew from any series. Or even some "EU" Star Trek characters. This one just boggles the mind.

The X-Files: Another hot sci-fi property conspicuous in its absence. And, once again, the possibilities are practically endless.

Looney Toons/Tiny Toons/Animaniacs: I lumped these together because they're pretty similar, and there's a good deal of character crossover between them. There have been some really half-arsed attempts to make games out of these, but nothing memorable. I've been playing SW Lego a lot lately, and it's a perfect example of a game that's made for younglings that's just as much fun for adults. With any of these three, there's a limitless number of possible characters. Who out there wouldn't want to play as Duck Dodgers, Marvin the Martian, the Goodfeathers, or Plucky Duck? Anyone who said they wouldn't has no soul.

Kiss: A seemingly weird choice, and again there have been poor attempts in the past. I'm thinking a dark adventure game based loosely upon the Psycho Circus comic, wherein the four Elementals were trapped in human form in a cursed circus that travelled around, sometimes bringing hope and redemption, more often judgment and damnation. With instrumental versions of Kiss songs as the score, and voice talent by people other than the band members, this could be a really freaking wicked game.

The Sopranos: With large gaps of time between seasons (both in our world and in theirs), there'd be plenty of time to fit a storyline for a game in somewhere. Imagine the basic storyline is something like trying to root out a rat in the organization, all the while sending other characters out on missions (and playing as them).

Deadwood: Sure, we got Gun (which I haven't played yet). But even my wife tells me it's easy, and she can take weeks to get through a level of a Harry Potter game. Westerns are hella cool, and slapping the Deadwood name on one certainly wouldn't hurt sales. Four words would make any sane person run out and get this immediately: play as Al Swearengen.

Jeez, that's just the very tip of the iceberg, but I'm tired of typing out ideas now. Have at you.

Rogue II
01-15-2006, 05:28 PM
One of the guys I used to work with told me there was some sort of RTS-type Star Trek game that he liked. I can't remember the name, but it sounded interesting, and I'm not even much of a Star Trek fan. From what he told me, it involved building Starships as either the Borg, Federation, Klingon, and some other race.

GI Joe: Has there ever been a good GI Joe game? I'd like to see it more like a team-based version of Mercinaries so you can switch between characters.

I still would like to see a Smokey and the Bandit game...

or maybe a collective game involving cars from all the TV shows and movies from the 70s and 80s that includes Knight Rider, CHiPs, Dukes of Hazzard, A-Team, Fonzie on his bike, Magnium P.I., and so on...

Laff-a-lympics: I know they still make Scooby-Doo games, but how about making a Laff-a-lympics game. Arcade style sports games seem to be making a comeback (Mario Soccer/Tennis/Golf/baseball)

Since that Warriors game is supposed to be pretty good, does that open the door for more games based on old movies? Godfather is due out this year, and James Bond came out last year.

How about a game set in the worlds of Road Warrior or Blade Runner?

Lord Malakite
01-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Godfather is due out this year, and James Bond came out last year.
James Bond games are constantly being churned out since EA got the license.:D None have really lived up to the original Goldeneye's standards though (which by the way is currently planned to be re-released on Nintendo's Revolution via their online NES/SNES/N64 download system). Should be interesting to see how that works out since that was a Rare game and Rare is now a Microsoft second party. My guess is either EA got the rights to the game along with the Bond license or Rare's second party license with Microsoft doesn't cover previous released games in emulation/port scenarios like this.

Rocketboy
01-15-2006, 10:25 PM
GI Joe: Has there ever been a good GI Joe game? I'd like to see it more like a team-based version of Mercinaries so you can switch between characters.I liked the NES one. It was your basic side-scroller, but it was fun.

mabudonicus
01-16-2006, 09:43 AM
A new TRON game could be pretty cool, I think

A REALLY good G1 Transformers game would also be fun

A Silver Surfer game could be AWESOME, or maybe Thor, or Iron Man

A pretty fun game could possibly be made out of The Running Man, maybe like a sequel or something to the film but with a different plot and a different lead (Chuck Norris maybe??)

A prpoer BattleStar Galatica game could aslo rock pretty hard

El Chuxter
01-16-2006, 09:54 AM
GIJoe would rock so hard, as long as Duke was killed in a cutscene in the beginning and you didn't have to play as him because he's a turd.

Mabs, there was a Silver Surfer game on the NES that wasn't particularly accurate, but an awesome game. Some of the best graphics from that system, too.

Rogue II
01-16-2006, 10:56 AM
James Bond games are constantly being churned out since EA got the license.:D
Yeah, I was refering more towards the recent "From Russia with Love" game. I heard they actually had Sean Connery do the voice overs. Most of those other Bond games are more "Expanded Universe" themed.

Wasn't there just a TRON and Battlestar Galactica game just released in the past year or so? BG was one of those instant $20 games, so it must have been pretty bad.

A pretty fun game could possibly be made out of The Running Man, maybe like a sequel or something to the film but with a different plot and a different lead (Chuck Norris maybe??)

Give me Missing In Action or Delta Force. I think they just did a Predator game last year as well, but Running Man or even Rambo might be fun. Although, an Arnorld or Sly Stalone voice over might get annoying.

Lord Malakite
01-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I was refering more towards the recent "From Russia with Love" game. I heard they actually had Sean Connery do the voice overs. Most of those other Bond games are more "Expanded Universe" themed.
Yes, Connery did do the voice overs for "Russia with Love." As far as the other EA Bond games go, I'd say its been about a 50/50 ratio of "loosely based movie" games to "complete expanded universe" games.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-16-2006, 05:20 PM
I'd like to see an MXC game, but I doubt it could be done. Maybe if they were able to get the original actors' likenesses?

mabudonicus
01-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Mabs, there was a Silver Surfer game on the NES that wasn't particularly accurate, but an awesome game. Some of the best graphics from that system, too.
yeah that game was pretty awesome, I recall it was so insane that the console had a hard time rendering the sound and graphics sometimes, but a newer one would be better, one where bumping into a space lobster or something wouldn't spell death to pretty much the most powerful guy in the universe

Rogue 2, I thought I saw a BG game that tanked, but I want a REAL one with Adama and Starbuck etc, and an unlockable Daggit character.... as for an Arny voiceover- are you KIDDING??? man, a supply of ridiculous one-liners would be fun for at LEAST a week!!
:beard:

Kidhuman
01-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Double Drgaon remake starring Chuck Norris, and well Chuck Norris.

El Chuxter
01-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Throw in Johnny Cash as a bad guy who tells you to go to hell every time you roundhouse him, and you've got a deal!

Rogue II
01-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Double Drgaon remake starring Chuck Norris, and well Chuck Norris.

In this age or remakes, I was wondering why they haven't brought back Double Dragon.

If I were to choose a Western, I'd pick the Magnificent Seven...or Three Amigos.

Someone should make a West Side Story game. Gang Violence and singing...how can they go wrong?

Captain Spoon
01-17-2006, 03:23 PM
ROADHOUSE!!!! and If you beat the game on hard you can unlock Sam Elliot as a playable character and God mode Dalton without a shirt!! :razz:

DarkArtist
02-09-2006, 04:02 PM
GI Joe would be a great game, playing as Snake Eyes would rock. Also it wouold be cool if it was something like Battlefront II where you can choose between fighting as Joes or as Cobra.

I would also love to see updated versions of Star Wars ANH, ESB, and ROTJ that would be similiar to the level of the EA games of TPM and ROTS.:thumbsup:

Would also love to see a Blues Brothers game where you can play the final chase scene in the movie.