PDA

View Full Version : How Much Are You Paying For The Saga Collection Figures?

JediTricks
01-17-2006, 04:18 PM
This poll is a pretty straightforward one. With Hasbro increasing the MSRP on Star Wars figures to $6.99 a piece after a year where probably half the time figures were $5, the pricepoint increase definitely seems to have changed the way people are buying Star Wars figures. Some collectors have set their sites exclusively on Wal-mart, who is charging just $5.88 for TSC figures, while Target and Toys R Us have stuck to the MSRP and are now the same price as KB Toys and K-mart, if you can believe that, which makes finding figures there a little easier since there aren't as many people rushing to buy 'em all at that price. Still other collectors see $7 at the store as close enough to e-tailer prices and have ordered the figures online at higher prices. So, how much are you paying, in general, for your The Saga Collection figures at this point?

Please round to the nearest dollar when voting.

bobafrett
01-17-2006, 04:22 PM
So far I have bought all my Saga figures at Wal-Mart. First they seem to be the cheapest price around, and 2nd, being an employee there, I save an extra 10% off, which when buying them can add up 10 cents on every dollar.

JediTricks
01-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Wow, fast response! :cool:

For me, WM is too far away to regularly visit, so I've been paying $7 a pop at TRU, Target, and even KB which was shocking to me. And the price increase has affected the figures I buy, I've already passed up Chewie in Chains twice even though I would have bought him before.

By the way, I think someone suggested this poll, but they didn't do it in the Poll Suggestions thread so I don't remember who they are. If anybody can point me to that post suggesting this poll, I'd really appreciate it because I'd like to give credit where it's due.

Battle Droid
01-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Wal-Mart's $5.88

waboritas
01-17-2006, 04:58 PM
I said $7 even though I have not bought any. That is what I have seen at Target, TRU and KB. Don't get to Walmart often.

UKWildcat
01-17-2006, 05:22 PM
The only place I have purchased these and will purchase these is at WM.

Edit: Unless a price drop occurs. :)

Blue2th
01-17-2006, 05:31 PM
I bought most of the Tatooine wave at Walmart because of the price difference. Boba Fett seems to be gone first. You have to get there soon after stocking or they are picked clean. Still haven't seen much of the Hoth wave anywhere. I ordered a case of those online at EE, which is a little over 7.00 per figure if you count super saver shipping. I will probably order a few more of other waves/cases if the assortments are good with at least 2 of the new characters/sculpts.

DarthQuack
01-17-2006, 07:28 PM
I made the mistake of buying two figures at Target for 6.99 a pop because I wasn't patient enough to get them at Wal-Mart and then I eventually saw them Wal-Mart so now I stay true to them and I have enough of them around me where it shouldn't be a problem.

Slicker
01-17-2006, 07:37 PM
I've gotten most of them at WM. I did buy Fett I believe at Target but the rest of the Carkoon wave was purchased at WM.

AmanaMatt
01-17-2006, 07:40 PM
I buy them where I see them - up to retail at any major chain - If I am picky, then I run the risk of spending more in gas looking, so I average it out.

Ji'dai
01-17-2006, 07:50 PM
I've bought two figures so far and I paid $5.88 each at Wal-Mart. I haven't seen this line at other local retailers (K-Mart/TRU) yet.

Is this a true price increase? I think this MSRP "price increase" first went into effect with the post-OTC or Transitional line. I found pOTC figures at K-Mart in late 2004 and was shocked the price had jumped to $6.99 (prices of OTC figures were closer to $5 here). Wal-Mart was charging $5.88 for pOTC and ROTS Sneak Preview figures when OTC figures had been $4.77 each.

When ROTS premiered, local retailers Wal-Mart and TRU initially dropped their prices to $5.24 and $5.29, respectively. After the movie furor died down, TRU raised ROTS figure prices back to $5.99, but WM lowered their prices to $4.77. The local K-Mart charged $6.99 for ROTS figs throughout 2005.

I think Hasbro's MSRP for the TSC line is the same as MSRP for pOTC and ROTS. Vendors see TSC as a entirely new line, so prices have reverted back automatically. In time, retailers may begin to discount the prices once again.

timmae
01-17-2006, 07:51 PM
seperation of twins was a deal at 4.77. we are pretty spoiled i guess. i am buying hardly any of the first waves. going to be tough later on. i hope they come down in price. with tax at target they are 7.50. that is outrageous i think. will only pick up the obscure ones at that price(was not a problem on the potj r2-q5 etc):mad:

Tycho
01-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Wal-Mart. I am only buying 3 of the Hoth wave so far anyway (duplicates of Veers and the Gonk however).

DarthPoop
01-17-2006, 09:31 PM
I am buying mine at Target for the extra dollar because WalMart is The Man. And I am spending way less. I hope they keep the prices high so it will make me be choosier about what I buy.

jedibear
01-17-2006, 09:35 PM
So far, we're still empty-pegged up here in the far north.
I went to Concord NH a few weeks back and found 3 of the Carkoon wave at Target...the Leia, the Bib & Han Solo (they were 6.99 ea).
I'm alright with that price...I would just like to FIND them period.
Our local WM is back to four pegs alloted for SW and those pegs have sat EMPTY since the reset (just as they did all summer during ROTS...but there were other retailers and options for getting the figures easily during that time). One fellow collector up here said they got ONE CASE of the Hoth wave last week that was gone in a matter of hours. he was kind enough to snag a Major Derlin for me.
Back during the first Saga series (the year post AOTC), that same store got ONE case a month...that's it. I ended up getting my figures online(expensive), up in Canada(really expensive) or if I was lucky, out of state after a minimum three hour drive-one way(gas is expensive!). Believe me, after all that the figure's price is moot...the effort alone has pushed it over the edge.
So...it's either back to that routine or just opting out....if this is how Hasbro & the retailers is going to treat collectors that don't have the luxury of being surrounded by multiple box stores, I see a quick fade-out for alot of loyal collectors...

plasticfetish
01-18-2006, 01:45 AM
As of now, I've only looked at Target, so $6.99 is what I've paid. There aren't any Wal*Marts right near me, and it's not worth the drive just to save a buck or two.

Kidhuman
01-18-2006, 01:48 AM
I got em at WM, worth the price there, I passed on them at Target.

sith_killer_99
01-18-2006, 05:04 AM
I have purchased most, though, not all of my figures from Wal-Mart.

DarthBrandon
01-18-2006, 05:21 AM
Up Here it's $9.99 plus tax so roughly 8.59 U.S. so whatever it takes to get what I'm buying this year. I picked up 3 of the Carkoon wave so far & I will probably get 5 from the Hoth wave (2 Veers, 1 Gonk, 1 Derlin, 1 At-At) 2 from the Geonosis wave, 10 from the Coruscant Wave, 5 from the Tatooine wave, 4 from the Endor Wave & 5 from the Yavin wave. I will also have to pick up some loose ends that have not been acquired & any exclusive Clone Commanders that may be out there. So that's roughly about 45 figures, which is around 5 hundred to 7 Hundred (if I buy more battle packs etc) in a non movie year which is pretty good & the wife can live with that. After this year I'm planning to wean it out quite a bit more as the figures I'm looking for would have to be on par with the VOTC or the Evolution sets.

mikey1974
01-18-2006, 06:23 AM
so fat i've only bought them at wal-mart,and only will buy them there....i saw them at KB for like 7 bucks,and said no thank you...

ARC_Trooper
01-18-2006, 08:14 AM
i voted MSRP because i buy mine at the Navy Exchange (NEX) here on base.
TAX FREE! WOOHOO!
but i live in japan so we havent gotten any new saga figures.
we just got our first shipment of 501st clones today! and i got all TWO of them! lol

i also refuse to pay inflated prices of internet sites. takes all the fun out of hunting for your favorites! although it gets frustrating... but thats another topic!

dindae
01-18-2006, 09:14 AM
Well I haven't paid over 5.88 yet, but I put $7 because I would if I found them at Target first. I buy one a piece sans repacks and maybe a few army builders nothing on Sal's scale just a couple to make things a little more even than 10 to 1 hero to stormtrooper ratio. So $5-8 bucks more a wave isn't really enough to make me run to Wal-mart everytime. Especially since Target costs me little in extra gas since it is on the way home. If I do go on a true toy run I will probably hit Wal-mart first just to avoid the buying them at Target/TRU just to find the same figures minutes later for cheaper, but that is the extent of my buying habits changing.

OC47150
01-18-2006, 11:26 AM
I've only bought at WM, which seems like everyone else is too, since the figures are hard to find.

jedi master sal
01-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Well I haven't paid over 5.88 yet, but I put $7 because I would if I found them at Target first. I buy one a piece sans repacks and maybe a few army builders nothing on Sal's scale just a couple to make things a little more even than 10 to 1 hero to stormtrooper ratio. So $5-8 bucks more a wave isn't really enough to make me run to Wal-mart everytime. Especially since Target costs me little in extra gas since it is on the way home. If I do go on a true toy run I will probably hit Wal-mart first just to avoid the buying them at Target/TRU just to find the same figures minutes later for cheaper, but that is the extent of my buying habits changing.

Heh heh, thanks for the compliment...I guess, ha ha.

I've been fortunate to get all but one of my TSC figs for Wal*Mart's price. I'm by no means a fan of Wal*Mart, it just has happened like this. So I put down WM as my vote. I REALLY don't want to pay the higher price. I'm looking to get somwhere in the neighborhood of 300 single carded figures this year alone. So, the price increase IS a factor as to where I buy from. If I can save $300+ dollars, I'm going to do it.

-Sal

JediTricks
01-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Is this a true price increase? Yes, the Saga line was $6 and then went down to $5, where OTC was. Then the MSRP on ROTS figures (starting with the preivews) went up to $6 again, but TRU, Target, and WM all played with lowering their price, they went up and down but those were sales, not MSRP changes. Then with this TSC line the MSRP raised yet again from $6 to $7.

plasticfetish
01-18-2006, 09:24 PM
So this is really the first line where the MSRP is $6.99 per figure? Why do I remember POTJ being the same price?

JediTricks
01-18-2006, 09:39 PM
I had an inkling of what you were saying, so I checked the POTJ forums but the only mention I found was from mid-'02 where they said they were finding POTJ for "regular price" of $6 still. However, I think MSRP did actually plan to jump to $6.99 at one point during POTJ and TRU even was charging that for a few weeks, but Hasbro changed their mind.

plasticfetish
01-18-2006, 11:45 PM
and TRU even was charging that for a few weeksThat's probably it. I think I remember them being $6.99 at TRU for a bit. (Which is why TRU Montabello probably still has 20 FX-7s hanging there.)

Ji'dai
01-19-2006, 11:57 AM
My local Super K-Mart has been charging $6.99 for basic figures since late 2004, when the first pOTC figures began hitting retail. I assumed they were charging full MSRP, but it could be a mark-up. I know that retailer has been struggling; and I can understand them charging full MSRP, but it seems unusual to see a mark-up in a large discount retailer.

El Chuxter
01-19-2006, 01:03 PM
What if you shoplift all your figures? There's no choice for that. ;)

dindae
01-19-2006, 01:24 PM
What if you shoplift all your figures? There's no choice for that. ;)

The poll is "How Much Are You Paying For The Saga Collection Figures?", so I believe you are ineligible to participate. So are those that get showered with them as gifts and those that have them made by elves in the basement.;)

Darth Kev
01-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I think now may be the time to finally get really selective about what I buy unless these prices come down. $7 for a piece of plastic with a crappy accessory that usually ends up just bending or sagging. For the quality it's ridiculous. Anyone get the new Barada yet? The freakin' knees don't even bend! Of course, not like we need a fully poseable Barada or anything, but this new mold is so close to the Skiff Guard CS that it wasn't even worth it (in my eyes) for them to put it out. I must say though that the paint job on the Bib Fortuna is phenomenal and the Boussh is great too. Han Solo's head is weird and I just know that force pike is going to look like a wet noodle in no time.

skeeziks22
01-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Anyone get the new Barada yet? The freakin' knees don't even bend! Of course, not like we need a fully poseable Barada or anything, but this new mold is so close to the Skiff Guard CS that it wasn't even worth it (in my eyes) for them to put it out.

I didn't realize it was a different mold. I thought that Hasbore decided to card it since it never was on a single card before... like they did with Reiken in the Hoth wave (same as the "Ultra" figure version that wasn't very Ultra).
Barada was one of my favorite POTF ('85) figures so I grabbed this one for sure.

I voted I am paying $6 Wal-Mart price, but since I live in Alaska the price is actually $6.58. TRU is $7.99, and we have no Targets or K-Marts, but we do have Fred Meyers (owned by Kroger) which have yet to put out any Saga stuff.

JediTricks
01-20-2006, 10:19 PM
My local Super K-Mart has been charging $6.99 for basic figures since late 2004, when the first pOTC figures began hitting retail. I assumed they were charging full MSRP, but it could be a mark-up. I know that retailer has been struggling; and I can understand them charging full MSRP, but it seems unusual to see a mark-up in a large discount retailer.I can't remember a time when Kmart didn't mark-up at least a buck over the big retailers.

BTW, for the record, TSC Barada = POTF2 Barada w/ new paint.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-21-2006, 04:58 PM
$7 at Target. It's easier to stomach when you are very choosy of which figures you purchase.

Ji'dai
01-21-2006, 06:50 PM
I dunno, according to my records, I also found pOTC at TRU for $6.99 in January 2005. In 2004, the local K-Mart was selling OTC for $5.49; TRU $4.99; and Wal-Mart $4.77; so fairly competitive with that line. It was only with the release of the pOTC that I saw this jump in figure cost and then a price disparity among the retailers.