PDA

View Full Version : Why We Like Certain Characters...

Jayspawn
01-18-2006, 12:51 AM
A topic that has facinated me latley is "Why we like certain Characters we dont know much about."

For example, I've always been a HUGE fan of Boba Fett. Even when I was little watching them VHS tapes, I always thought Boba Fett was awesome! I like his look, stealth, everything! I dont collect many action figures nowadays but everytime a Boba Fett action figure comes out I buy him. He's certainly a popular character but was only meant to be a goon then is killed off on ROTJ.

Another example: I'm also a big fan of Clone Commander Bly. I'm really not sure why on this one. I'm all about the Clone Troopers and all. But I really dig this character thats onscreen for maybe 6 seconds and says nothing. :Ponder:

At Celebration III Daniel Logan asked me why people like Boba Fett so much and my response was "Because he's so damn cool looking." I was being cheeky but really, is that it? They look cool? Is it their colors? Attitude or purpose?

the reason I think I've settled on is because they are there. They look cool too! And thats another I like but I'm always curious because I think its an interesting topic.

Comments?

decadentdave
01-18-2006, 03:37 AM
I loved Boba Fett as a kid but as an adult I think he is totally overrated. Your fascination with Cody probably comes from your Fett-ish.

I find myself having a strange attraction to some of the "B-Team" background Jedi characters like Plo Koon, Aayla Secura, Shaak Ti, Saesee Tiin, Luminara Unduli and Barris Ofee.

Currently, I've really been digging on Grievous. It is interesting because before the movie came out I thought I was going to hate him but I found him to be one of the most interesting characters of the Prequels. His cough and walk gave him personality and I love how he is sniveling when he jettisons in the escape pod and says, "Time to abandon ship."

I also dig Bail Organa. He's the Wedge Antilles of the Prequel-era.

And another one I dig that hasn't been made into a figure (yet) is that strange "Nanny" Droid that coos and says "Ooo-bahhhh, Ooo-bahhhh..."
I have absolutely no idea why but I just love that droid! :love:

Kidhuman
01-18-2006, 07:26 AM
2 of my favorite looking characters are troopers, Biker Scouts and the Snowtrooper. Its something about the uniforms. I have always thought they looked cool. The Biker Scout is probably because I love speeder bikes.

Some of my other faves are Boba Fett, Barriss, IG-88, Qui-Gon Jin and Darth Maul. QGJ because he was just a sweetheart, Maul because he kicked a55 and the rest because they just look damn cool.

Blue2th
01-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Always liked General Veers, because he was the only Imperial officer who seemed to know what he was doing. Commander Cody also is my favorite prequal character. He also was good at doing his job. Both had cool uniforms/ accessories.

El Chuxter
01-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Qui-Gon is a good guy with an attitude who takes no crap from the Council.

Kit Fisto appears (in the ten or so seconds of screen time) to be pretty laid back for a warrior. (And, admit it, his brief grin was a million times funnier than the painful C-3PO stuff preceding it.)

Bariss Offee and Aayla Secura, well, they're both just hot. :kiss:

CaptainSolo1138
01-18-2006, 08:22 AM
My two favorites, Han and Lando, are the sneaky, cocky, rogue smuggler, bad a55es. I think that's why I like them: they're the guys your not technically supposed to like. Those always tend to be my favorite characters in movies (another example is Severus Snape from the "Harry Potter" series).

Also, Lando has the added "kitsch" factor.

Rocketboy
01-18-2006, 09:41 AM
My favorites have always been Darth Vader, Artoo Detoo, and Han Solo.

I never understood some of the facination with most some characters, like Kit Fisto (that stupid smile is worse than Ewoks), General Greivous (give the guy a cough drop!), and especially Darth Maul (AKA Darth Action Figure).

vader68
01-18-2006, 12:25 PM
My favorite has always been the Tie fighter pilot. I just think he is the coolest looking character. I also like the stormtroopers and snowtroopers.

JetsAndHeels
01-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Besides the Fetts and Darth Vader, I would say my favorite characters are the Imperials...that would include the clones, stormtroopers, snowtroopers, at-at/at-st drivers, tie pilots, etc....I like the imperial officers and the troops with the helmets and attire that derived from the Germans in the WW2 era. I love history so seeing the ranks of the Empire in these outfits intrigues me.
Characters like Grievous and Maul I also like, although their screen time in the saga was short lived. Same thing with Qui Gon and other various Jedi. I think characters that do not have alot of screen time or are not considered the "face" of the films can be interesting because it leaves us wanting to know more about them and their backgrounds.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-18-2006, 01:04 PM
My favs are Princess Leia and Han Solo. Princess cuz she's one of the first women in the movies who kicks butt and knows what she's doing. She doesn't take flak from anyone, yet she has a soft, caring side to her as well. Plus she's a hottie!! I just dig that. Han Solo cuz he's Han Solo, his outfit is cool, his gun is cool, his holster is cool and he's a great pilot, hard and introverted yet also a a soft spot to him for helping the rebellion.

I also love boussh, stormtroopers, biker scouts, tie pilots, and snow troopers simply because I love their outfits...they all just look so foreboding and COOL!

My fav prequel character is Aayla Secure because she's blue, she has a lightsaber and she's HOT!

Some of the characters I dig simply for their looks and some I dig because of their personal characteristics.

JimJamBonds
01-18-2006, 01:30 PM
My favs are Princess Leia and Han Solo. Princess cuz she's one of the first women in the movies who kicks butt and knows what she's doing. She doesn't take flak from anyone, yet she has a soft, caring side to her as well. Plus she's a hottie!! I just dig that. Han Solo cuz he's Han Solo, his outfit is cool, his gun is cool, his holster is cool and he's a great pilot, hard and introverted yet also a a soft spot to him for helping the rebellion.

I also love boussh, stormtroopers, biker scouts, tie pilots, and snow troopers simply because I love their outfits...they all just look so foreboding and COOL!

My fav prequel character is Aayla Secure because she's blue, she has a lightsaber and she's HOT!

Some of the characters I dig simply for their looks and some I dig because of their personal characteristics.

Well put, I'd agree with al of that.

Slicker
01-18-2006, 05:56 PM
I can't believe no one has said Aurra Sing. What kind of fans are you. She's the most important thing to happen to Star Wars since George Lucas. She's a Jedi killer, a mercenary, I'm sure she dated Luke Skywalker at one time, AND she enjoys a good podrace. Believe it or not I noticed/learned all of that in her 2 seconds of screen time hence why she can have her own comic series, action figures, and pathetic fan following.*

Seriously one of, if not my, favorite characters is IG-88. I just like how he stands there when Vader talks to Fett and he doesn't move anything except his little head (yeah, I know that was a limitation of the mechanical times but it looks cool) and I also loved him in SOTE for N64. He was creepy as hell (as several other people will agree) and was a bada55.

*sarcasm laid on more heavily then I've ever done it.

decadentdave
01-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Aurra Sing looks like a strung out heroin addict.

JediTricks
01-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Boba Fett worked so well because nearly every second he's on screen there's suggestion of attitude, he doesn't react to characters the way everybody else does, he doesn't think the way everybody else does, these things are shown in the smallest of actions. He's concepted off of Clint Eastwood's "the man with no name", a man of action who thinks instead of speaking, who doesn't take crap, who's all about business, who outmaneuvers his prey while making it look easy, in ESB that's Boba Fett. Unfortunately, that's not Boba Fett in AOTC, not even close, and Jango is only like a smalltime version of it.

decadentdave
01-18-2006, 07:39 PM
He's concepted off of Clint Eastwood's "the man with no name", a man of action who thinks instead of speaking, who doesn't take crap, who's all about business, who outmaneuvers his prey while making it look easy, in ESB that's Boba Fett. Unfortunately, that's not Boba Fett in AOTC, not even close, and Jango is only like a smalltime version of it.

I was more impressed by Jango's actions then I ever was of Boba Fett. He just stood around, talked smack, took pot-shots at Luke, and flies uncontrollably into the Sarlaac. You'd think with all of his hidden gadgets in his arsenal that he would have had some thermal detonators and a grappling hook in there somewhere to save himself. Jango saw more action then Boba ever did onscreen. He went hand-to-hand with Obi-Wan and took on Mace even though it cost him his head.

Shadow Knight
01-18-2006, 09:21 PM
The Twi'leks are my favorites. So many different variations. The males are mostly nasty (bib and fatty dude from Rots), but the females all seem to be so attractive, especially my newest favorite jedi..Aayla Secura. Wish I could catch a flight to Ryloth!

El Chuxter
01-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Are you counting the Lucas' daughter Twi'lek? :p

Shadow Knight
01-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Are you counting the Lucas' daughter Twi'lek? :p

Uhh No. I was not aware that she was in fact a Twi'lek. So we can count Chi Eekway out. (correct?) Perhaps I would have noticed she was a Twi if her lekku was not covered.

bobafrett
01-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Have loved Stormtroopers from the first time I saw the movie in 77. They look Badd in their armor, they work for an evil man, and I enjoy dressing up as one cause it gets a reaction from kids 2 to 72 years old.

Captain Spoon
01-19-2006, 07:42 AM
My favorite like a lot of other people is Han Solo. As far as the obscure characters I have always said Wedge is my favoirte of the bunch. It really dosn't have too much to do with the actual movies but If you read the X-Wing books Wedge is the man!

El Chuxter
01-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Uhh No. I was not aware that she was in fact a Twi'lek. So we can count Chi Eekway out. (correct?) Perhaps I would have noticed she was a Twi if her lekku was not covered.

Not Chi Eekway, but the same daughter plays a Twi'lek in the Outlander Club in AOTC.

Rogue II
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Seriously one of, if not my, favorite characters is IG-88. I just like how he stands there when Vader talks to Fett and he doesn't move anything except his little head (yeah, I know that was a limitation of the mechanical times but it looks cool) and I also loved him in SOTE for N64. He was creepy as hell (as several other people will agree) and was a bada55.
[/SIZE]

More importantly, IG-88's head was on the shelf behind Wuher in the ANH Cantina scene.:D

My favorites were Han Solo and R2-D2. Han had the cool ship, cool friend, and was also Indiana Jones. I liked R2 because he knows what need to be done, and does it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Not Chi Eekway, but the same daughter plays a Twi'lek in the Outlander Club in AOTC.
However, I also think Chi is a Twi'lek, according to Hasbro's site or something.

My favorite is Darth Vader. Even though he's a complete a**, he's the coolest MFer ever.

tagmac
01-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Since I was a little kid, Han and Chewie were always my favorites. Han was just your typical badazz rogue, who did things his way, and feared nothing. Chewie was just like a dog, only bigger, more loyal, and the best bodyguard in the world. Not to mention, he just looked cool.

Snowtroopers were always my favorites of the troopers/clones, just cuz those outfits looked cool.

Since the prequels came out, Darth Maul became my third favorite - can't beat the look, the attitude, and the double-saber.

jedi master sal
01-31-2006, 12:14 PM
I also love boussh...

heh heh...

Oh um...

Anyway, As each trilogy progressed I found myself liking characters more or less depending on how the developed. I really dug Han inSW, but in ROTJ, not so much. The exact opposite for Luke. I thought he was okay in SW, but as he learned more about, and grew stronger in, the force, he became a much more compelling character. The fact that Vader was his father, the struggles Luke had to overcome to accept that, face him down again and stand-up to the Emperor made him a strong hero.

I liked Qui-gon in TPM. I think he was killed off too early, but in hindsite it was neccessary for the story.

The character I like the most in the prequels hands down in Obi-wan. Again with him we see a true progression. He was a brash young man, who then had to accept a fate he did not want in raising Anakin. Then had the courage to face Anakin and succeed even when Anakin was more powerful. Obi-wan's maturiy through the prequels is self evident, imo.

And as a joke, I liked Jar Jar more and more through each prequel because we saw less and less of him.

-Sal

Aragornsfate
02-15-2006, 02:43 AM
Qui gon jinn is the man.
He believes in the Living force. It is the key to the Jedi being able to come back as spirits. He actually taught Obi-Wan and Yoda how to do this.
His appearance is that of a man with much wisdom.
For these reasons Qui Gon Jinn has hypnotized me.

2-1B
02-15-2006, 03:35 AM
Nien Nunb and 2-1B could lick of your choices inside of 3 rounds.

Kit Fisto appears (in the ten or so seconds of screen time) to be pretty laid back for a warrior. (And, admit it, his brief grin was a million times funnier than the painful C-3PO stuff preceding it.)

Beware the mighty grin...

trandoshan666
02-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Palpatine was one of my favorites in the OT (even as a relatively peripheral character), and now, after watching the saga in its entirety, I can say that he definitely is my favorite SW character. I really love his adaptability and manipulation, and think he was portrayed incredibly well.
I dig Mace Windu because he's tough and mysterious, etc. I also kind of like Shaak Ti, mainly because of her heroism in the battle for Coruscant. I really wish we would have seen her battle Vader at the temple, but am thankful Lucas left out the version of her death that they filmed.

TheDarthVader
02-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Hmmm. I like DV for obvious reasons.

My two favorite jedi are Qui Gon Jinn and Plo Koon. Plo Koon just looks cool. He has to wear that breath mask because oxygen is a poison to his lungs. Also, he has to wear those cool glasses to keep harmful rays out of his eyes. Qui Gon is the man! He knows more about the force than, dare I say, Yoda. He was right all along. And he gives good advice such as "concentrate on the moment". That advice is kind of similar to Yoda's ROTJ line, "Never his mind on where he was. Hmph. What he was doing!" Exactly, Yoda. And where did you get such wonderful teachings? Q-G-J.

B.
TDV

pegger
02-24-2006, 09:56 PM
My favorite like a lot of other people is Han Solo. As far as the obscure characters I have always said Wedge is my favoirte of the bunch. It really dosn't have too much to do with the actual movies but If you read the X-Wing books Wedge is the man!

Wedge is my favorite - He's the only guy that was in all 3 (original) movies,,,even though he wussed out in Ep. IV.

trandoshan666
02-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Wedge didn't wuss out Luke told him to get the hell out of there ;). BTW, that's an awesome avatar Pegger!