PDA

View Full Version : Just recieved my Star Wars membership kit!

Sentinel18725
01-18-2006, 05:10 AM
I was amazed by what came in my membership kit today. They really know how to take care of their fans. First, it had a great paper mobile for me to hang from my ceiling. Along with that came a full size Lego poster, a sample of a check I can order, a coupon that was expired for Code 3, a crushed Admiral Ackbar figure, and a letter from George that was from 2005. Also, my membership card was from 2005 as well..

Come on guys! Get it together. You have droves of faithful fans and you can't even get a good membership kit together. That sucks...:cry:

El Chuxter
01-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Good to see I wasn't the only person who got a crushed Ackbar. I opened my kit on Friday and said, "Damn, honey, here's a bunch of ads from starwars.com that I can toss." The Lego poster was the only thing worth keeping.

Considering ROTS has come and gone, and the fairweather fans will be leaving in droves, they should've done something impressive.

Of course, after seeing the pathetic joke of a "Fan Club Breakfast" at Comic-Con that I had to dish out a crapload of money for, I really get the impression that Lucasfilm sees fans as a bunch of losers living in their parents' basements, ready to bend over and take whatever they want to give us. I mean, half the freaking cast was at Comic Con; could they at least have had one of the autograph sluts (Ray Park, Amy Allen, Daniel Logan) to join us for an hour?

decadentdave
01-18-2006, 12:25 PM
This is exactly why I'm not going to renew my membership. The membership kits are a total joke. They are nothing like the membership kits from the original Lucasfilm Fan Club which brought us Bantha Tracks. Speaking of BT, the Star Wars Insider has been getting smaller and smaller and ever since that new publishing company took over they don't even ship them in protective bags any longer. Mine always arrive in my mailbox bent, crinkled and torn on the cover. Thanks Lucasfilm. As for Hyperspace, there is absolutely no content on there that I cannot find elsewhere on newsgroups to download for free. Since the Prequels are done, I will not be renewing my membership.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-18-2006, 01:13 PM
What's this crushed ackbar figure? That really piqued my interest and made me laugh out loud, I'd love to see pictures *hint hint

JediTricks
01-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Wow, I am so glad I dropped my membership a few years back, I would have lost it with that kit. Ever since this Hyperspace debacle, it feels like an embarassing moneygrab off the dedicated fans more than any other time in SW history.

decadentdave
01-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Maybe instead of giving out cheap swag like a CCG 2" Ackbar figure, they really need to give out more member benefits and incentives... how about an exclusive carded action figure like a George Lucas in flannel shirt or something. Instead of worthless flyers and advertisements for other companies products which act only as brochures how about getting back to some 8x10 lobby cards like the ones that came with my old Empire Strikes Back membership kit. Instead of some folded-up Lego poster how about a rolled and tubed poster featuring Unleashed carded artwork or maybe card proofs like they gave out at SDCC a few years ago. How about formatting Bantha Tracks to emulate the original BT newsletters for nostalgia. You know, it doesn't take too much thought and effort to improve the benefits of fan club membership to make everyone happy.

DarthQuack
01-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Man, I'm glad I didn't buy that thing lol.

Sith Lord 0498
01-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Yeah, my 2005 membership kit was a joke. Pointless coupons/brochures, cheap Ackbar figure (mine actually survived), nonsensical Insider subscription...my first two issues were actually the two previous ones released before I subscribed and that ended up meaning I was screwed out of the issues released during the end of my membership (the one with the clone covers and the "Vader Reborn" issue).

Episode III has come and gone...no need to keep Hyperspace around for me anymore. I let the subscription lapse.

decadentdave
01-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Whoever at Lucasfilm was put in charge of the fan club needs to be fired. A membership kit should be something special and exciting to look forward to and receive. First of all, it should arrive in a medium sized cardboard mailer box and when you open it up it should be packed with goodies inside like a treasure chest not a bunch of product advertisements and brochures stuffed into an envelope and mailed out a year after you pay for your membership subscription like some cheap afterthought that it has become. This is atrocious. This kit represents Lucasfilm's committment to the fans who have given them their loyal support. Fire them. Fire them now.

JediTricks
01-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Look at the way SW.com is run, the site is there to advertise everything in the Star Wars brand yet it's chock full of banners and popups and splash pages and flash-over-content ads, plus most of the news is hyperspace-only, that's the mindset LFL has about SW fans these days and it shows with the Fan Club the same way, we're just walking wallets, I hate it.

decadentdave
01-18-2006, 09:04 PM
That's my whole point. Lucasfilm has just become this infernal and unstoppable merchandising juggernaut with complete disregard to its fans.

Even if they threw in a T-Shirt that said "I'm a member of the Star Wars Fan Club and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt" at least it would be something more than they give us now.

"Fan Club" is a misnomer. They should call it the "Lucasfilm Pimp Ride" because that is all it is. Give us your wallet and we'll make sure you get an occassional hit of low-grade smack to keep your fix up.

bobafrett
01-18-2006, 09:35 PM
I also let my subscription lapse. First there was the Hyperspace, which to be honest, I never had enough time to fully browse through, and you are right, the membership kit is a joke. Back in the day, with the old fan club, you got cool patches, 8 X 10 photos, pencils, I even got a pen for renewing with a landspeeder that floats (I don't know how to describe it other than you tilt the pen down, and the speeder goes across the desert backdrop, tilt it up ad the speeder reverses back behind some rocks. But when you get the kit in an envelope, with a small secondary character that is bent, and a bunch of ads, I just can no longer see forking over the extra money. Wasn't the Bantha tracks supposed to be in the back of the Insider for people who are members of the club? I could have sworn I saw an issue at the newstand with the Bantha Tracks section in the back. Why spend that kind of money when I can pick up an issue every other month at my local grocery store?

El Chuxter
01-18-2006, 09:40 PM
To make matters worse about the site, it's almost entirely non-searchable. Try searching for something. I dare you. I bet you'll end up with a page FROM THE OLD STARWARS.COM SITE that shows Darth Maul and tells you that the page wasn't found.

At the booth at Comic Con, the reps were wearing kick-arse t-shirts with the Hyperspace logo on the sleeve and a cartoon Aayla Secura on the front. I asked about them and was told they'd probably be available to the public "soon."

Six months later. . . is it soon yet?

I think the mag is sort of a joke. Always has been. Like several years back when they did a feature on the bounty hunters and said they couldn't find any info on the guy who played Dengar aside from a name. Nice investigative reporting there. Or how about the "top EU moments"? I'm a pretty big EU junkie, and none of their picks made any sense to me.

CooLJoE
01-19-2006, 04:05 AM
Yeah I'm glad I didn't renew my membership back in October. Honestly, I only had it for the benefits at C3, so its useless now and looks to be crap for what you pay. I think the only way I'll signup again is if C4 has the same member benefits (or better ones).

vader68
01-19-2006, 02:03 PM
I am not going to renew either. The whole fan club is a joke and a ripoff. The hyperspace thing really p****** me off. You are right Chuxter, you can't find any useful info on the site, it is all old and rehashed just like the figures they are pushing on us. I remember when being a fan club member used to get you some cool stuff, now it gets you a load of crap. Thanks but no thanks.

InsaneJediGirl
01-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Wow,I was thinking of renewing a few months ago but glad I didnt. Its sad the magazine had to fall into such a state. Makes me wish Star Wars Galaxy Collector was still around. That was a great magazine.

Sentinel18725
01-22-2006, 08:11 AM
I actually threw away my membership kit. All of it! Advertisement and that is it. At least Master Replicas gives you something special.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-22-2006, 11:50 AM
I actually threw away my membership kit. All of it! Advertisement and that is it. At least Master Replicas gives you something special.

You're right and it's only 20 dollars more and you get a very, very nice looking membership kit plus all the perks for being a member!

I am SO glad I never signed up for this...thing! I just pick up the mag at the newsstand if it's one I'm interested in.

JediTricks
01-22-2006, 09:57 PM
MR gives you a mini lightsaber for joining plus a ton of coupons, last year's saber looked really top-notch and I'm kinda sorry I missed out (Maul's full hilt) but this year's is simply a paint variation (Mace's hilt with matte paint or something).

Sentinel18725
01-22-2006, 10:05 PM
The coupons are a nice benefit for the MR Membership Kit. It is good planing for them to keep you interested and buying direct. I wish this year's Lightsaber was a different sculpt rather than a repaint. I havebecome hooked on these things, I am enjoying them.

I hope that the fanclub takes a lesson from this well run membership. How about Starwarsshop.com coupons? An exclusive figure only available for renewing membership? Let's come up wiht something good.

El Chuxter
01-22-2006, 11:55 PM
Shoot, how about "free Amy Allen autograph"? No joke. The woman doesn't do anything but sit there and sign her name. At least Ray Park has been rumored for other film roles.

JediTricks
01-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Even though this year's MR club mini-saber is a repaint, it's still a real *thing* you get, don't let my previous comments downplay that, it's a physical THING and then you get coupons too!