PDA

View Full Version : The Official Rob Liefeld Un-Appreciation Thread!!

El Chuxter
01-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Rob Liefeld. Wow. Where to begin bashing this freak of nature? His terrible, overrated artwork that shows no knowledge of human anatomy, or his embarassingly bad Levis commercial that singlehandedly destroyed Spike Lee's career?

Or his leaving Marvel for more creative freedom on a book that turned out to be the X-Men with different names?

Howsabout his being kicked out of the company he started and owned the name to because he couldn't meet (incredibly lax) deadlines?

Man, bashing Liefeld is an art.

I had a bit of a laugh at Comic Con last year, when I saw him sitting at the Extreme booth, hidden somewhere between the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund and a guy selling old trading cards. No one was in line, and the dude was twiddling his thumbs, desperately in need of someone to talk to. This was a sharp contrast to 15 years back, when he inexplicably was Wizard's #1 Popular Artist every month for like a year or two.

They really need a reality show where people repeatedly kick him in his groin under different circumstances.

CaptainSolo1138
01-18-2006, 03:10 PM
And don't forget: He looks like some evil spawn of Matt Damon and Axl Rose. That might be his worst offense to mankind.

dr_evazan22
01-18-2006, 04:18 PM
I ahted him when he started at Marvel. What series was that? New Mutants? All the faces he drew looked like sphincters! And the guns he drew were so gi-normous! The only thing that I can think of that I like(d) that could be credited to him was Cable.

Rocketboy
01-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Everytime I hear his name, I think of an issue of X-Force where Shatterstar's leg disappeared mid panel, as Rob forgot to finish it.

darthvyn
01-18-2006, 11:40 PM
They really need a reality show where people repeatedly kick him in his groin under different circumstances.

didn't you steal this idea from someone else?

vulcantouch
01-19-2006, 12:21 AM
i always confused him (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=10462&page=2&pp=19[/url) w/todd macfarlane :p

El Chuxter
01-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Here's the easy way to keep it clear:

Liefeld: A jerk kid whose second grade art teacher said could draw to save his feelings one day in class. Somehow, likely through a combination of sleeping with Barbara Bush and a deal with Lucifer, he got a high profile job at Marvel despite the fact that he really wasn't very good. He took credit for creating X-Force (though all he did was change the name of an existing team) and left Marvel to start his own company. He was fired about two years later because he couldn't meet "Image deadlines", which up to that point seemed an oxymoron. Went back to Marvel, was fired again, and now lives in a gutter somewhere and sells his body for crack.

McFarlane: An excellent artist with a strange penchant for putting people into anatomically incorrect positions. He went with Liefeld to Image to publish Spawn, a character he said he'd created many years earlier but who resembled several Marvel characters combined into one. Following Spawn's rampant success, a movie came out with a sequel supposedly going into production immediately but that never materialized. There was also an animated series that ended abruptly when McFarlane went nuts (see below). McFarlane began producing action figures, putting more of his time into that than into Spawn. First he left as the artist, then as the writer. He became obsessed with expensive baseballs, even sending the ones he'd bought on tour. When last he was seen, wearing Kleenex boxes on his feet and flinging excrement at reporters, he was reportedly living in a cave, fondling his baseball and hatching plans for world domination.

El Chuxter
07-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Sorry to dredge this up, since anything that reminds us of the continued existence of Rob Liefeld is a bad thing, but I just read that Liefeld was returning to Image to release new Youngblood comics.

Words fail me.

Truly, they do.

darthvyn
07-17-2007, 12:44 PM
and thats, what... the 1,268,943rd sign of the apocalypse, right?

how many signs of the apocalypse are there supposed to be, anyway?

Rocketboy
07-17-2007, 09:09 PM
and thats, what... the 1,268,943rd sign of the apocalypse, right?

how many signs of the apocalypse are there supposed to be, anyway?1,268,947 signs of the apocalypse.

LTBasker
07-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Shortpacked shall liven up this zombie thread. :D

http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20070319.html

El Chuxter
07-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Too well drawn for our boy Rob. :D

And missing about seven useless straps and shoulder pads.

Good try, though. And an amusing read.

Rocketboy
07-18-2007, 01:30 AM
Well, he got the no feet right.

KH wears a size 14 shoe.

Beast
07-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Hey, I'd rather have him at Image than at Marvel.

Though I will say that Onslaught Reborn hasn't been that horrible. :)

darthvyn
07-18-2007, 01:12 PM
1,268,947 signs of the apocalypse.

crap, we're getting close.

Well, he got the no feet right.

yes, but where's the mound of rubble that hides the feet?

Hey, I'd rather have him at Image than at Marvel.

i'd rather have him at jupiter, being sucked into the center of the gas-giant planet than at either.

Though I will say that Onslaught Reborn hasn't been that horrible. :)

that's the weirdest statement i've ever heard. it's like saying "well, drinking pee isn't THAT disgusting..."

bigbarada
07-19-2007, 05:52 PM
It's absolutely amazing, his style hasn't grown at all. It still looks like he just roots through a bunch of old comic books to come up with his poses and I guess he has a entire collection of Travis Charest issues of WildC.A.T.S. that he copies his faces from.

The only thing reconizable about his style is that he still tries to cover up his lack of ability with pointless minute details. He still has no concept of human form or anatomy.

LTBasker
07-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Perhaps if you ever see him at a con, you could ask him to draw a normal naked human being. Theoretically he should implode within a few seconds.

bigbarada
07-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Supposedly this is someone trying to make sense of Rob Liefeld's grasp of human anatomy. I don't think Liefeld drew the naked-Captain America, but it wouldn't completely surprise me if he did.

Rocketboy
07-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Liefeld does love moobs, doesn't he?

darthvyn
07-20-2007, 06:08 AM
hahahaha! i love the stubby little arm. that's progressive of liefeld to give captain america a congenital birth defect!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Rob Liefeld, born October 3, 1967 in Anaheim, California, is an American comic book writer, illustrator, and publisher. A prominent artist in the 1990s, he has since become a controversial figure in the medium.

In the early 1990s, self-taught artist Liefeld became prominent due to his work on Marvel Comics' The New Mutants and later X-Force. In 1992, he and several other popular Marvel illustrators left the company to found Image Comics, which rode the wave of comic books owned by their creators rather than by publishers. The first book published by Image Comics was Rob Liefeld's Youngblood #1. A prominent artist in the 1990s, he has since become a controversial figure in the medium.

You know, I read somewhere that, although he was a prominent artist in the 1990s, he has since become a controversial figure in the medium. Not sure where, though.

CaptainSolo1138
07-23-2007, 06:48 AM
You know, I read somewhere that, although he was a prominent artist in the 1990s, he has since become a controversial figure in the medium. Not sure where, though.That's the damnedest thing, John, 'cause I swear I've heard it before, too.

2-1B
07-01-2008, 05:32 PM
I won't pretend to know (or care) why this guy goes unappreciated, but at Wizard World this weekend I recalled this thread so I made sure to take a pic with him.

We were waiting for the Image Founders panel to finish doing whatever they were doing (that McFarlane is one weird and long winded motherf---er) before the Sansweet SW promo segment.

So I walked up to the stage afterward and asked Robbie to take a pic with me and he cordially obliged.
Todd McF is in the background as well. What a weirdo, that guy is creepy.

Again, I don't give a damn about comics or the people who opine on them but I wanted to pay tribute to this thread. :grin:

CaptainSolo1138
07-01-2008, 09:19 PM
You not only come to the plate in Liefield's pseudo-defense, but you also fail to post the picture?!

mabudonicus
07-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Yeah, LAME there Deuce :D

I bet he just ins't finished croppin the feet outta the pic :mabs:
:beard: Iso&Baws

MAN Liefeld SUUUUCKS

2-1B
07-02-2008, 05:33 PM
I will post it.

Eventually.

El Chuxter
07-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Please tell me that, in the picture, you are kicking him in the nads.