PDA

View Full Version : 2006 CS Membership

nash
01-18-2006, 06:05 PM
heres the direct link. http://masterreplicas.com/customer/starwars/starwars_product_detail.php?pid=8541

bobafett07728
01-18-2006, 06:26 PM
So. . . what makes this membership kit so cool? The Darth Maul saber was great, and I got some use out of the coupons. . . but this? They could've at least thrown us a saber we didn't already have. Unless someone can shed some light on something I am not seeing, I am quite dissapointed in this offering.

Oh yeah. . . has anyone ever recieved their Membership Card? I for sure haven't.

starwarsfan1
01-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Oh yeah. . . has anyone ever recieved their Membership Card? I for sure haven't.[/quote]
Yeah what gives? I havent gotten mine either. I phoned them and they said they were still being made. WTF!!!!!!!!!

nash
01-18-2006, 06:55 PM
The exclusive is a "matte" finish mace windu .45 mini. Whatever matte finish means is beyond me.

Shadow Knight
01-18-2006, 09:00 PM
The exclusive is a "matte" finish mace windu .45 mini. Whatever matte finish means is beyond me.

that would be, not shiny, right?

Jayspawn
01-18-2006, 10:15 PM
"Matte" means non shiny.

Aaahhhhhhh......well...........

decadentdave
01-18-2006, 10:52 PM
...And since I just finished my rant about the Star Wars Fan Club membership kit on another thread, I'll pick it up over here on this one...

I NEVER received my personalized membership card. I remember calling MR back in September and was told "in a few weeks." I have e-mailed them months ago and was told they would be shipping in "just a few weeks." I called MR last week and was told "they have been delayed and will be shipping in just a few weeks."

This is 2006 people. I paid for my membership for 2005.

What is the point of paying $59.95 for a membership kit in which I only received 1 Replica Report newsletter, a Darth Maul mini (okay, that was cool), and a bunch of coupons out of which I only actually used 2 of them before they expired. I DID get the Obi-Wan Elite Edition but I essentially paid $600 for with the inclusion of the membership price. Still, that's less than they sell for on eBay.

I will wait and see what "exclusives" are available this year. It better be pretty spectacular. I am not eager to shell out another $60 for a membership kit and not even get a personalized card until sometime 2007, if ever.

I wish Amy can get on them about the membership cards for us. It's pretty ridiculous. These "Membership Kits" are becoming nothing more than an afterthought after they take our money from us.

Jan. 2006: "The CS Membership Kits are here! Give us your money now!"
Jan. 2007: "Oh yeah, guess we better start mailing the kits out, huh?"

Jayspawn
01-18-2006, 11:24 PM
........Ok.....

First off, I'm a huge supporter of Master Replicas, their quality and reputation are outstanding and I stand by them.

However...

The 2006 Collector's Society offering is less than impressive. And I dont mean this to offend anybody but giving loyal collectors a rehash of a current item is almost insulting. People who want this item already have it. The coupons
are too specific. I would only use maybe 1 of them.

I'm still going to join for this year. I'm hoping that MR will suprise us with more bang for our buck. As far as 2005 goes, it was a test year for the CS and if I get some things late (or not at all like the membership card) -thats fine. The Replica Report publication may not be in MR's best interests as it may deviate their attention. But who knows. I still have faith that they will come through.

decadentdave
01-18-2006, 11:53 PM
Well if you read my rant about the Star Wars Fan Club, I'm going to repeat myself here with regards to "Membership" and all of its "priveleges."

The Collector's Society should be just that; a distinguished group of collecting afficianados whom share their passion and enthusiasm. That said, what has the CS been other than priority product ordering and a couple of "Elite Edition" exclusives?

The Replica Report was a great idea that just sort of fizzled out into oblivion. I think fullfillment should be paramount to CS members and a regular fanzine mailed out to its members is a perfect way to keep them enthusiastic about the hobby they love and keep them up-to-date on products that are being offered. Even "sneak peaks" or exclusive "first-look" at upcoming products would keep us excited throughout the year and generate hype. How about a special forum ala the the RPG where CS members can post and meet in chat rooms? To be honest, I only purchased a few items from MR last year which was considerably less than I spent the previous year in which I spent roughly about $6000. I totally support MR and stand by their products but product delays and a neglect for fullfillment have made me less than enthusiastic about the hobby and upcoming products. I am going to be more discerning than ever this year about the purchases that I make and the more informed I am about the product choices I have available to me the more likely I am to support it. Again, here is an opportunity to showcase upcoming products with first-looks and behind the scenes on construction ala the Sideshow Production Blog.

Another thing that I don't like is the fact that most of their product images on their ordering pages tend to be prototype images or CGI renderings as is the case with the helmets. Some actual photos and Quictime VR of actual products (i.e. Sideshow Collectibles) would really excite me about the products and I would be more eager to buy them. Ever since they went with the all Flash site it has frankly just sucked. Again, may I direct your attention to Sideshow Collectibles who seems to not only generate hype for their products on a weekly basis and interaction with their customers but also has an impressive site with very nice product images and 360 degree QT VR of their products. If Sideshow were to offer some kind of Collector's Club this year, I would join it first.

Fwad
01-19-2006, 12:47 AM
I received my 2005 Collectors Society card monts ago.It just has your name on it and a 6 digit id number. I also would have rather had last years coupons instead of this years offerings. I will not sign up again this year.

Markimus
01-19-2006, 08:51 AM
The Mace mini - is not very exciting especially since the regular Mace mini came back into stock recently and I bought one.... I don't know if there will be much difference between the two.

I think I will wait and see what the exclusives will be before I join it.

Jayspawn
01-19-2006, 09:42 AM
If Master Replicas threw in a cool logo tshirt sometime in the mail -that would be cool.

bobafett07728
01-19-2006, 12:06 PM
I guess my main beef is what we are recieving for our $60. Last year, you could easily justify that amount of money for the Maul saber ALONE! The coupons were a great bonus (I used both minis, and the LE,) and the ability to buy a few of the other exclusive minis was also a positive. This year, I don't see that. Anything more than $35 for the Mace saber is too much, I don't care what finish is on it, or if its special chrome, or fancy gold plated. We already have a Mace, and we didn't need one that looks pretty much EXACTLY like it. At least the 2004 Collector's Society was a different Obi-Wan than we had previously had! The coupons, are just that. I'll probably use the two mini coupons, and that is it. What special items are they going to offer us this time around? I'm speaking on only the mini's, but the only feasible thing they can offer that many of us may not have been able to get are the two Euro Exclusives (Yoda & Sidious chrome, last year they offered the two Obi Wan exclusives, and the Yoda) Maybe if they hinted that there will be some more CS Exclusives available throughout the year, that would be incentive. $60 just seems like alot for what they are offering this year.

I am a huge fan of Master Replicas. There minis are great, and they are the perfect collectible for my price range. I have purchased a few LEs, and the quality is amazing. They are a good company that puts out great product. . . the can do SO much better than this. This Collectors Society Kit is way below the standard of excellence they have previously provided, and I am surprised that they haven't realized that. I am hoping this is the only hiccup that they have this year, as I am looking forward to a great deal of the 2006 product line.

nash
01-19-2006, 03:15 PM
You all have valid points and I agree with them all.

This '06 kit is VERY insulting to loyal customers. The whole essence of the Mace saber is to be flashy and stand out above the crowd. Why would you take that away by giving it a Matte finish? that is just retarded to me.

I will not be buying the 06 membership UNTIL I see what MR has in store for us. The kits are due to ship out in JUNE anyway, so theres alot of time to think about it. I think MR will lose alot of the 05 CS members due to their new offerings on this new kit. The coupons absolutely suck.

To those who did not receive their 05 membership card, I know it doesnt justify the facts, but trust me when I say this.... Youre not missing anything at all! The membership card is just a plain old plastic card with your name on it and your membership number. Its REALLY lame, I could get a better one for 10cents in china town.

decadentdave
01-19-2006, 03:20 PM
To those who did not receive their 05 membership card, I know it doesnt justify the facts, but trust me when I say this.... Youre not missing anything at all! The membership card is just a plain old plastic card with your name on it and your membership number. Its REALLY lame, I could get a better one for 10cents in china town.

That's not the point. It's the principal. It may just be a card with your name and numbers on it but the fact that they couldn't get these mailed out LAST YEAR in a timely matter represents their commitment to its CS members.

Stalecracker
01-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Well- I am REALLY disappointed. I won't be renewing my membership. I have a Mcae Windu. I like the one I have. The new one isn't screen accurate. The Darth Maul from last year was FANTASTIC and was absolutely worht the cash... This "special" Mace is for the birds.

FalconFreak
02-17-2006, 07:36 PM
I want to join too, but the Mace saber isn't working for me. There idea of the package is great - a mini saber and coupons, I mean shoot - it only shakes out to $5 a month, BUT the Darth Maul mini was about 10 times better than a Mace mini. Two factors have me on the fence - a discount coupon for the DMaul FX and a "possible" $100 off the Falcon if they start taking pre-orders late in 2006. I'll probably ride it out and see when the Falcon is announced.

They should have stuck with the DMaul mini. Or at least a NEW Solo blaster mini.

Oh, well. I still LOVE THOSE GUYS and their prop elves!

decadentdave
02-17-2006, 07:45 PM
The way I look at it, even if you do get $100 off a Studio Scale replica, that $70 for the cost of membership really only saves me about $30 and since I don't care about the Mace Mini, I'd rather just pay full price for the Falcon even if it is about as much as the AT-AT. I don't collect minis so all of those codes are useless to me. The only LE I plan on buying this year, Qui-Gon's, I already used last year's $50 coupon for. Other than that, I'm only planning to get the Boba Fett helmet. It's not worth it to me to buy the CS membership and I'm not at all concerned that they will sellout before general pre-orders. Even if they did, I could always order one from one of many online authorized resellers like TOYNK who usually have discounted prices from ordering direct from MR. I used to be concerned about getting the lowest number I could get but it really isn't important to me any more as long as I have a nice prop to display.

slartibartphast
02-20-2006, 03:40 PM
I too am holding off on the 2006 membership. Last year wasn't too good for me since dealears had most things I wanted for a lower price even with the coupon and shipping! So the membership really just gets you an expensive exclusive mini.

And to me these hacked versions of props are silly. I am not a "collector", I really hate things that are artifically rare (like beanie babies and hummels!!) and then got hooked into the sci fi stuff. Still hate the idea of it though.

But now I see things like best buy had a mini colored gold (or black?) and other things like this matte finished windu. But they are not authentic to the movie, or a book and now not really a replica! To me the value is much less. I never understood the attraction.

So maybe the CS is for the big boys and the high end priced stuff. It's the way of the marketplace I suppose.