PDA

View Full Version : Power Droid (Battle of Hoth)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Yippee! A two-pack!

The GNK Droid is similar to the one that came with the Jawa in 1999, but with some additions. They added a hose thing across his sides, which makes it look more like the ESB droid. They also drilled two enormous holes in his head so you can attach one or both of his "ornaments" onto it. One of them is the big ol' crown-lookin' thing, and the other one is a small black object that's on a few other GNK droids, but not ones that look exactly like this. But it's nice to have options. They also added feet holes so he can use the stand, which I'll get to in a little bit. He still has the same stupid walking action, which makes it near-impossible to have his legs both completely on the ground.

The treadwell droid is the same thing that came with Aunt Beru back in the day. They repainted it, though it's still the same basic colors. They also added a small bit of weathering, and it overall looks better than it did the first time. Its only "articulation" is the same swivel thing from before.

The stand is very nice. It's the same ESB one from the others in this wave. The name on the stand isn't "Power Droid," but "GNK and Treadwell Droids" instead. Which is kind of cool, but I wish they'd just used the name from the front of the card.

It also comes with those wacky lil' holo figures. I got Obi-Wan with mine. Meh. They're nice but I'd rather not pay $2 for them.

I like this set, but I don't know if it's worth the $7, since these figures were previously offered as pack-ins with more highly detailed figures. But the changes are probably enough to warrant a purchase. I'll give it a B-.

plasticfetish
01-19-2006, 08:25 PM
It's always nice to have more droids around the house. I just wish that we could have gotten a power droid without that lame "walking leg" thing -- especially if it's going to cost $7.

Just the same, I'll grab a couple of these.

Kidhuman
01-19-2006, 08:46 PM
I like the attatchments for this figure. I would give it a solid B, the walking thing is kind of lame.

Slicker
01-19-2006, 11:59 PM
I haven't gotten this but I remember on the Gonk droid that came with the jawa the "walking" feature sucking. IIRC, it made it very difficult for it to stand on its own and I had to tape the bottoms of the feet together to get him to stand properly.

Ji'dai
01-20-2006, 01:13 PM
I put the original Gonk Droid upside down so that he's constantly tortured by 8D8 and his nefarious droid brander.

I saw this droid 2-pack last week but passed on it.

Turbowars
01-20-2006, 09:12 PM
For all you whiners out there that hate the walking feature, just take one of those tiny clear rubber bands and wrap it around the Power Droids legs. Works like a charm.

I think this droid is worth every penny. I never thought Hasbro would have bothered with this guy. I give it a A+

JediTricks
01-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Clear-band around the base of his feet has worked for me very well for the past 7 years now actually, the feet are still next to each other.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2006, 01:16 PM
And after fiddling with it, if you put his right foot on the stand peg, you can position him to stand upright and it looks fine.

arctangent
01-23-2006, 09:44 AM
For all you whiners out there that hate the walking feature, just take one of those tiny clear rubber bands and wrap it around the Power Droids legs. Works like a charm.

i stuck mine to the shelf with two small pieces of blu-tac under his feet which works well too. there's usually a way around these minor irritations;)

JEDIpartner
01-25-2006, 12:44 PM
You could also break the mechanism that causes that annoying thing from happening.

JediTricks
01-25-2006, 04:26 PM
How? I've tried, it's surprisingly robust. How do you break it without snapping the legs off?

JEDIpartner
01-26-2006, 10:49 AM
I did it with one of my CT Jawa pack-ins. I used a knife and dislodged the mechanism between the two legs. You need to watch out for the axle between the two legs or else the legs come apart. There's also an alternate "extraction" point where the button meets the closer of the two legs.

Turbowars
01-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Oh great a knife, finger and blood. Sounds so much easier than a rubber band.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
01-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Can you supply photos please JP? And are the legs floppy afterwards or have some friction still?

Mad Slanted Powers
01-30-2006, 10:16 PM
I was able to get my Commtech Gonk to stand on it's own all right, but not this one. But, as Mr Jabba pointed out, with his right foot on the peg, he will stand straight.

I also liked the more descriptive name on the stand. In general, I like the stands on these figures. They look nice, have the character name on it, and they are shorter than Saga/OTC stands, so your figures won't tower over figures without stands.

Jayspawn
02-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Actually I already have a way. I did this back when the Commtech GONK came out. I made a stopper by folding a thin strip of paper around itself, taping it and coloring it black with a marker. Just hold Gonk's legs togther, and put the tab/stopper thingy between his legs and he will stand there with his legs together. And you dont even notice the stopper.

You can make the stopper/tab thingy in 5 minuets with some paper, scotch tape and a black magic marker.

Jayspawn
02-01-2006, 09:59 AM
I worked at the Fan Club back in the day when the 1st Gonk came out, so I made the stopper with whatever I had on my desk! :thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
02-03-2006, 09:40 AM
I tried to get a photo of the inside of the piece but none of the details show up. The legs are a little floppy but you CAN reposition the legs so that the teeth in the mechanism line up with the legs parallel to each other.

DARKLORD_67
02-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Love this little guy!!!

GREAT sculpt and paint applications. LOVE the mickey mouse ears gizmo for the top!!

Dig the treadwell pack-in. Great value!!

No complaints. I've got one, and I'll be happy with four or five more.

lukesky27
02-14-2006, 09:12 PM
I love this figure also. The Treadwell would be cooler if the tread actually rolled, but I have no complaints about the figures.

The pack-ins are bonus, the paint app is very nice and I totally dig the walking mechanism. I never once saw the comm-tech version at retail. It was also sold out everywhere I went, so I never got it. I was excited to see this one at retail and am very happy to have bought it.

LS27

TIE Pilot
02-15-2006, 04:11 AM
It's such a simple looking figure, but I love this li'l guy! I missed out on the first Gonk.. so I was happy to see that they re-tooled him a bit and re-released him.

I know a lot of people have a problem getting the figure to stand.. but I found a way to get him to stand without any help from rubber bands or breaking the walking mechanism. You have to lean him forward a bit with his feet pressed on a surface while clicking the side button. It's VERY tricky.. and it usually takes a few times.. but it can be done.

plasticfetish
02-15-2006, 06:51 AM
...it can be done, but I really just find it baffling that they would rework this figure and it still can't stand on its own. I'm just reading through and laughing... rubber bands, glue, surgery and everything else just to get a box with two stumpy legs to stay upright.

I mean, for $20 you can get a remote control R2 unit from Tomy. For $7 it'd be nice if this Gonk could at least not fall over.

They're both nice looking figures though, but given the crummy gimmick, now I'm doubting that I'd bother to buy more than one, (not that I've seen this figure more than once.)

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=16185&cat=4400