PDA

View Full Version : Holograms - Why? Worth the $1.00? And poor R2...

01-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Just opened the Hoth Wave R2 and am wondering why they didn't stick with the "new" R2 unit sculpt (with retracting, rolling third leg), which seems to be a fan favorite and the most accurate to date as well as being the one pictured on the card back. Instead it has a rather lame pop- up periscope. Close examination reveals that the details are mostly the same, and a panel which is glued on. Were they going to release this fig. with accessories like they did back with the POTF line? I think I have a dissection to do....

Sith Lord 0498
01-19-2006, 08:45 PM
I think the holograms have turned out to be a nice little addition to the line, and I certainly don't mind paying the extra dollar for them. The detail on many of them is above and beyond anything I expected. Darth Maul, Yoda, Boba Fett, Han, Vader, and Obi-Wan are all spectacular pieces...even better than the pack-in hologram accessories from the old Saga line IMO.

plasticfetish
01-19-2006, 09:11 PM
There's two seperate points here.

R2 seems to be a dummied down version of the VOTC R2, and since I already have one of those, I don't really need/want another -- not even to get the little bits of junk he comes packed with.

Speaking up "junk," the holograms are another thing entirely. They're not the reason for the price jump, but I'm willing to bet that they're stuck in there to help cushion the blow a little. "Ooh, they're a dollar more... well, we do get a gumball machine toy with it as well. Gosh."

I like the holograms really, and think it's a novel idea including them with these figures. In some cases, like with this R2, I'm actually more interested in the hologram figure. ;)

mastermatt24
01-19-2006, 09:27 PM
I could care less. I have become EXTREMELY choosy about what I buy, and a hologram figure that doesnt do anything does not sway my thinking. Ive even decided not to buy some new stuff. :neutral:

K M Toydarian
01-19-2006, 11:48 PM
I kinda wish we were getting a few different figures though, that are more Hologram appropriate, like Yoda in a chair, transmission leia, R2, a "normal" emperor, Nute Gungray, etc. Then they would be cool accessories to use as actual holograms. Maybe in another wave or so we will see twelve new ones? It certainly has been easy to get all of them so far as I can tell, the assortment should change every third or fourth wave.

Kidhuman
01-20-2006, 12:18 AM
I think the holograms have turned out to be a nice little addition to the line, and I certainly don't mind paying the extra dollar for them. The detail on many of them is above and beyond anything I expected. Darth Maul, Yoda, Boba Fett, Han, Vader, and Obi-Wan are all spectacular pieces...even better than the pack-in hologram accessories from the old Saga line IMO.

I have to agree with the statement here. The holos are far better than what I expected from Hasbro. I dont mind paying the extra dollar for the figure either. With or with out the holo I would still buy the figures.

UKWildcat
01-20-2006, 12:52 AM
Well, the way I look at it is that I paid 5.88 for the first ROTS figures. Now I'm paying the same price for the Saga figs but I'm getting a free Holo. Sounds good too me. Just waiting for the price drop.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-20-2006, 01:52 AM
If I'm not mistaken, this R2 is the same sculpt as the Earlybird R2.

The holos are cool but if I were a completist or collected from both the OT and the prequels, I would rather pay less and not have them. As it is, I don't mind too much since I'm only getting OT stuff and not many of the rehashes like barada and chewie. They should however, make more than 12 cuz I don't need duplicates.

jedi master sal
01-20-2006, 02:04 AM
Can I buy some of your duplicates...

I'm building a chess set with these, so it doesn't bother me at all that they are included and the figs re a little more. Problem is trying to find enough figs with the either the Stormtrooper or Rebel Fleet trooper. For the rest you only need two of each except those ones you are using as the King and Queen which you only need one of.

I have my set broken down like this (not completed, but how I'm going to do it):
Rebel:
King-Yoda
Queen-Amidala
Bishop-Obi wan
Knight-Luke
Rook-Han
Pawn-Rebel Fleet trooper

Imperial:
King-Emperor
Queen-Vader
Bishop-Dooku
Knight-Maul
Rook-Boba
Pawn-Stormtrooper

For the most part they pair up nicely, or as best as to be expected with the limited number of characters made.

After I get one set, I'm going to try for a second set that I'm going to paint. I can't wait to see what these look like painted.

I look at it as a relatively cheap way to get chess pieces. Have you seen how much sets from the Franklin Mint cost? I'm not about to suggest these are that quality, but for the price they work for me.

-Sal

Deoxyribonucleic
01-20-2006, 02:18 AM
JMS, I have two cases coming from EE soon and I'll be opening about half of them (plus I already have most of the ones I want just need rebel trooper and emperor) and my dupes will be your dupes. :thumbsup:

Bacta Beast
01-20-2006, 03:01 AM
If I'm not mistaken, this R2 is the same sculpt as the Earlybird R2.

Which is pretty much the same as the VOTC version. The only problem I have with that is they keep going out of their way (and I assume it must cost more) to produce the "chrome-dome" R2s. But when they make any other astro mech droid they do it right. Hey Hasbro! Listen up! Take the head from the "Phantom Menace" R2, the legs from the VOTC version, put them on any of the bodies with the retractable leg and gives us what we want! A movie acurate R2-D2!!

Oh, and I could take the holograms or leave them. As they're here already, I'd just as soon have them all. But if I had a chance to vote on them before hand, especially if it would have kept cost down, I would have said no. But I love the new stands! I just wish Hasbro would pick a desigh and stick to it! I sure miss the commtech chips!

K M Toydarian
01-20-2006, 06:26 AM
After I get one set, I'm going to try for a second set that I'm going to paint. I can't wait to see what these look like painted.
-Sal
I've always wanted to get the Saga chess set out right now and paint the pieces. That would be sweet!

mikey1974
01-20-2006, 08:14 AM
i like the holos a lot...i just wish there were more than 12! i already have almost all of them (only missing han,amidala,stormtrooper,and rebel trooper) and i figure i'll have them all by the end of january.....1 month into the year and i ahve them all already....which is bad,because they then become junk.....they should pack a different set in by the tatooine wave...i want to see:

GOOD:

Leia
Chewie
Anakin
Mace
Clonetrooper

BAD:

Jango (different pose than boba)
Battle Droid
Zam
Grevious
Snowtrooper
random Imperial Officer

jedi master sal
01-20-2006, 08:58 AM
JMS, I have two cases coming from EE soon and I'll be opening about half of them (plus I already have most of the ones I want just need rebel trooper and emperor) and my dupes will be your dupes. :thumbsup:

Thank you kind sir. How much would you want for them (ballpark)? I'll give you a list of what I need.

Kidhuman
01-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Sal, I have a Veers card if ya need it. I bought an extra to open.

Darth Cruel
01-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Can I buy some of your duplicates...

I'm building a chess set with these, so it doesn't bother me at all that they are included and the figs re a little more. Problem is trying to find enough figs with the either the Stormtrooper or Rebel Fleet trooper. For the rest you only need two of each except those ones you are using as the King and Queen which you only need one of.

I have my set broken down like this (not completed, but how I'm going to do it):
Rebel:
King-Yoda
Queen-Amidala
Bishop-Obi wan
Knight-Luke
Rook-Han
Pawn-Rebel Fleet trooper

Imperial:
King-Emperor
Queen-Vader
Bishop-Dooku
Knight-Maul
Rook-Boba
Pawn-Stormtrooper

For the most part they pair up nicely, or as best as to be expected with the limited number of characters made.

I look at it as a relatively cheap way to get chess pieces. Have you seen how much sets from the Franklin Mint cost? I'm not about to suggest these are that quality, but for the price they work for me.

-Sal

I posted in another thread some time ago how it seemed strange to me how perfectly suited for a chess set these holos are. I am planning to do the same thing, but I am waiting for the Utapau Clone. When I army build with it...I'll have lots and plenty to spare for my chess set.

JediTricks
01-20-2006, 10:42 PM
PF nailed the reason why these holos are here, they're not something we're paying an extra buck for, they're here because Hasbro jacked up the MSRP yet again and these are "value compensators", they cost little but seem like they're adding value to make up for the higher price.

BountyHunterScum
01-21-2006, 12:24 AM
I'm picky with the new Saga figures, tonight I bought a Veers with Vader holo mini figure. The really good part is when I buy a Vader with Vader. I wanted Veers and I definitely wanted the mini Vader.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2006, 11:58 AM
I like the holograms, but then again I only have seven of them so far. Once I start getting three or four duplicates of each one, I may be singin' a different tune.

I just wish Target would lower the prices. I recently paid $30 for four figures there and felt like screaming "rape!" :dead:

Deoxyribonucleic
01-21-2006, 01:11 PM
I like the holograms, but then again I only have seven of them so far. Once I start getting three or four duplicates of each one, I may be singin' a different tune.

I just wish Target would lower the prices. I recently paid $30 for four figures there and felt like screaming "rape!" :dead:

"I'll take Therapists for 2000 Alex."

Kidhuman
01-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Thats therapists Mrs. Ox.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-22-2006, 03:03 AM
Thats therapists Mrs. Ox.

lol lol ROFL! lol lol

jedi master sal
01-22-2006, 03:57 AM
Sal, I have a Veers card if ya need it. I bought an extra to open.

Thanks KH. I already have that one though.
The cards and inserts that I need are:
Chewy
Vader
Reikaan

Those are the only ones I passed on so far.

jedi master sal
01-22-2006, 03:58 AM
"I'll take Therapists for 2000 Alex."

I'll take Jap anus relations for 1000, Alex...

jedi master sal
01-22-2006, 03:59 AM
Oh sorry, that was Japan, U.S. relations...

(That was one of the funniest Skits on SNL in recent history, IMO.)

That and Schwety Balls from a few years ago. I still lmao hearing that one.

Kidhuman
01-22-2006, 10:52 AM
I'll take swords for 800 Alex..

Thats "s" words Mr. Connery

Deoxyribonucleic
01-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Oh sorry, that was Japan, U.S. relations...

(That was one of the funniest Skits on SNL in recent history, IMO.)

That and Schwety Balls from a few years ago. I still lmao hearing that one.

I've never seen JapanUS relations...that's freakin' hilarious! I almost spit out my pancakes all over. :thumbsup:

Dave_Cameron
01-22-2006, 05:41 PM
I was surprised when they didn't use the newer mold for this figure. Well, I can't say that Hasbro's got all their dogs barking sometimes.